All Joomla Reviews

Too much for our needs

Gustavo

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Joomla is a Good tool, but Wordpress does offer more.

My experience was some poor since Joomla requires to take a long road to mange easy tasks. I stop using the platform while I finding myself striving to get some critical integrations with different platforms.

PROS

Open Source System Good for blog entries Easy to install

CONS

There are not many third party integrations The community of users isn't big. Customizing any website requires a lot of work and there is few an little quality premade layouts available.

Reason for choosing Joomla

I did choose Wordpress for many reasons. After trying long time enough Joomla, I got back into WordPress

Reviewed October 2021

Joomla still a vital CMS in 2021

Joomla is a great Open Source project that will continue to give it's users a voice on the internet.

PROS

Joomla is still a vital Open Source CMS for building websites. The ease of use and MVC model is still far superior than the other CMS's. The true power of Joomla is what you can do with the core product without needed 3rd party plugins or products.

CONS

There is a lot to say about the cons, from beginner ease of use, to backward compatibility issues, and the overall advancement of the code and services.

Reason for choosing Joomla

When I first chose Joomla, WordPress was just a blog.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

The Open Source Community and advanced capabilities of Joomla.

Emilio

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2019

Powerful but hard to use CMS

We have used joomla as the CMS for our website for over a decade (now we've migrated to Wordpress) and it proved stable, reliable and adaptable, but we had the advantage of being a software company where designers and developers were always readily available to beat Joomla into submission. I think that nowadays Wordpress is a better overall solution, but do take Joomla intou account. Its the old reliable CMS that can certainly get the job done, but I would only reccomend it for tech savvy users or developers.

PROS

The best about joomla is that it is very powerful and adaptable. I has a big community, thousands of sites made with it have created an enourmous community of developers and designers who have experience with it. That also means that is has a huge assortment of plugins, extensions, themes and whatnot. Its very likely that whatever problem you have someone had the same problem before, so solutions will be available in the form of plugins (sometimes paid ones), or forum posts. If you need to do something very specific that requires coding, well then joomla is simple php and js, meaning any developer can quickly fins his way around joomla.

CONS

The main con about joomla is that it is a bit old and unintiutive. If you have never dealt with a CMS then you might need to read some documentation to find your way around a joomla site. Even if you have used other CMSs, joomla has it's very own way of doing things, meaning that tutorials and getting started guides are a must. Plugins rarely work straight of of the box (or zip), they usually requiere a bit of coding to get them exactly like you want them, but that can be said about pretty much any CMS.

Steve

Real Estate, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2024

JOOMLA a time saver

PROS

Easy to set-up and upgrade. Very simple and intuitive interface. Must for company needing a fast Web presence.

CONS

Nothing I can complain about up to now..

Nigel Masimba

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2019

It's Ok But There Are Better Options

I use Joomla! intermittently for client websites. I never set up new websites with Joomla! as I believe there are better solutions out there. However, in the case of existing websites where Joomla! has been used for a long time and a large amount of content has been uploaded, it is usually easier to maintain the existing installation than to migrate to a new installation.

PROS

It's free and open source. It's fast, lightweight and easy to install. There is a large community of developers and users ready to help with advice on how to use it.

CONS

The interface is unintuitive for beginners It is lagging behind other similar content management systems Depending on the issue it can take time to get support from the open-source community Some common software integrations can be difficult to find

Reason for choosing Joomla

It was the existing solution on an established system so it was easier to maintain the legacy than move to new systems.

George Rex

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

A Tough CMS that Could Be Better

Joomla is yet another CMS for me though, even if it was more or less an exploration to find a better application within its category. Overall, it's a tough one and I will need a passionate mindset to dive deeper into this software.

PROS

Joomla is becoming very useful for e-commerce solutions, considering the powerful extensions that are being built for it these days. And of course, as it is an open-source application it makes it easy to customize and extend to one's need. Not to forget it's also free too.

CONS

Joomla didn't have much usability support compared to major players like WordPress and Drupal. Considering the fact that there were fewer extensions available to improve functionalities and most available ones were paid. So it wasn't a friendly application to explore then.

Reason for choosing Joomla

Adobe wasn't extensible, so I had to look out for something that could fit my need. Secondly, Adobe Dreamweaver was proprietary, so I needed to stay clear for that moment.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

I didn't really switch in the true sense, I was just exploring to see if I could get something better than what I got with both apps, as mentioned.

Evelyn

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Powerful Blogging Platform - Little to none third-party support.

My experience was good. But we always found limitations to manage certain kind of contents in regard with the website appearance. There aren't builders as powerful as those found in some other platforms.

PROS

Posting blog entries flows easily. The user interface is clean and user friendly.

CONS

There is almost no third-party support for this pretty platform making it very limiter in comparison with WordPress which is another framework for blogging and nowadays, a little more.

Reason for choosing Joomla

I did choose nowadays WordPress over all other alternatives. It is easy to integrate with third-party software providers and it makes better the managing experience of any website.

Stefan

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed July 2019

Joomla review

I have used Joomla to create a number of websites and Joomla made it really easy for me to do this. Instead of writing a whole website by hand I can have a working prototype that I can showcase to the customer in a matter of hours.

PROS

Joomla as a CMS has a lot of options and is very modular, for someone who has some knowledge with web development Joomla seems like the right option . Another thing that gives Joomla an edge over other content managing systems is that it has very good search engine optimization which is something very important if we rely on Google for site recommendations.

CONS

Joomla doesn't have a very wide choice of add-ons and templates, which we should consider when deciding on which CMS to use. Also for regular users Joomla is harder to use since it has a somewhat steep learning curve.

Reason for choosing Joomla

For developing website that I personally take care of I always choose Joomla over WordPress. This is due to that Joomla has a model-view-controller workflow that software developers are accustomed to.

Nabin

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2021

Powerful CMS for growing websites

We have been developing large and complex news portals for our clients using Joomla.

PROS

Joomla is a free and open source CMS that can be customized and extended easily.

CONS

Web development speed is slower using Joomla

Reason for choosing Joomla

Joomla is beginner friendly CMS with powerful features.

Md Billal Hossain

Writing and Editing, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed September 2021

The Best CMS For E-Commerce Store

It is great for e-commerce solution. Not perfect as a blogging platform.

PROS

- Awesome inventory system - Easily able to create e-commerce store - Free of cost - Huge number of templates

CONS

- Functionality little bit messy according to other CMS. Especially according to WordPress.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Joomla is easy than Magento. Less bugs in Joomla.

Matt

Program Development, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2023

Joomla - the perfect way to start with your website

After using Joomla since 15 years I really must say: This is a great way to start your own website! It's easy to install, especially since many webhosts offer an installer to setup the basic installation without any knowledge of databases etc. You can easily customize the basic website with thousands of extensions and themes so it fits your needs perfectly. For all kind of simple websites, this is surely one of the best options and you always find some people to help in one of the many support channels.

PROS

The easy startup and the easy integration of external software makes it perfectly for starters. Also the clean seperation of backend and frontend makes it easier to understand. Me in person, I use Joomla for more then 10 websites and it's definitly my No. 1 for easy small websites.

CONS

Joomla serves well for easy websites. However, for large scale, it carries a heavy overload which might make bigger websites (several thousand visitors daily) slow. Also sometimes it's a risk to take third party extensions since you never know how good they're maintained, but that's the risk for all software packages :D

Reason for choosing Joomla

I prefer the clear seperation of frontend and backend in Joomla, while in Wordpress, this seperation is not that clear and harder to understand for starters.

Sergey

Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed July 2018

Zero $0 investment, resulting in a great looking website

Not only I learned something new, which I've never known before, I was also able to present a great looking product to a higher level management, which really didn't cost company a penny.

PROS

I came to use Joomla when I needed to build a web based portal for my company to organize internal resources and data. While I can't call myself a Linux guru, it really took me 15 minutes to get my initial Joomla website up and running. Instructions are very clear and simple. Joomla was my first CMS product to evaluate. While it did take me a couple of days to understand it's structure, from that point, building a website was as easy as 123. Everything is visual. You don't have to be a great programmer / web developer to get along with this product. With the amount of available free and paid plugins, sky is really your limit to your web site customization. While my website was fairly simple (as that's the way I wanted to have it), I've seen examples of very complex high end websites, built on Joomla. My favorite feature is a backup. It so happened several times, that I managed to break my website. Restoring from a backup and going back live was so easy, it was hard to believe. Provided this was a totally free solution (Ubuntu Linux + Joomla CMS), I couldn't ask for a better software for my project.

CONS

Really nothing. Like I said it did take me a couple of days to understand how to add content and structure it, but once this was figured out, the rest was a breeze.

Reviewed October 2023

Joomla

a free and powerful tool, it allowed me to create my first website and gave me a taste for learning web design.

PROS

this tool is a solution for quality, secure and large sites

CONS

no need to know php to use joomla, it's easier to set up a blog with joomla

Reason for choosing Joomla

very effective for website security

for advanced features

Alvaro

Utilities, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed July 2018

CMS that is fully customizable

Joomla! CMS is one of the first out there, and it keeps improving. Support is easy to find via their active Open source community. The setup requires a little reading up, but once you get past this initial hurdle, everything else is easy to use, intuitive, and super flexible to suit everyone's need. Joomla! is also a good choice in teaching young IT and Web enthusiasts since it is open source and fully extensible and customizable. It will run on older hardware, and minimum requirement will not be a problem.

PROS

Joomla! has been around for decades, and the reason for such popularity and continued use is that it is easy-to-use and manage, it is open source and has a huge and active community that maintains it. The community provides extensive documentation, FAQs, and support for almost any question or issue you may encounter. Joomla! can be set up locally and easy to deploy to the Internet publicly. The security features have significantly improved through the years. This CMS comes with an intuitive dashboard. And there are many third-party integrations available for setup. Since this is open source, the elements are customizable to suit your needs.

CONS

Setting up may require an initial (steep) learning curve. May be not as easy to set up as Wix or Weebly. Hence may require the admin to be more-or-less tech savvy (and not just a beginner).

Hang

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2022

Top 3 CMS

1. Joomla is both users friendly and smart phones friendly, and easy to build; 2. For the non-programmers, Joomla is a "logic module", they can learn by doing; 3. Joomla is a free CMS, so if you build a simple small or middle-size website, you pay only domain fee and server fee. But since 2019, the prices of almost all apps, themes which are used on Joomla, have increased 40% to 150%.

PROS

As a CMS, Joomla is more powerful than WordPress (which originally is a blog platform), Joomla can be used on the broader fields, I used it to build hunting site, Chinese acupuncture site, a blog site, several different kinds of eCommerce sites. Joomla is more easy to build sites and make SEO.

CONS

1. It is little bit hard to add ads such as Google ads (need 3 steps); 2. it has only limited layout selections; if you hope to build different layout design, you must be a good php programmer; 3. If you want to change/modify the original designs, such as change homepage's background color, or make the homepage broaden, or delete the top space of the homepage, you MUST access the php program to modify.

Reason for choosing Joomla

For small to middle-size websites, Joomla has enough functions and many different apps, themes and so on.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

WordPress has only limited functions and layout selections.

Erik

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

Joomla review

Overall experience was pleasant. I do however favor other content management systems a little more based on functionality and ease of format, but still overall very positive.

PROS

I liked how organized and user friendly this content management system was. It was very easy to show my clients that they could help edit and change things on their own website instead of calling me every day to make simple changes that only take a couple minutes. Those couples minutes don’t really add up enough to pay out enough to compensate my time being used for free each time they were to call and ask about simple changes. The “what you see is what you get” functionality made this possible. I also liked that I could get into the backend of a website and control the coding instead of just using the “wysiwug” (what you see is what you get)

CONS

What I liked least is that if a website didn’t maintain all the necessary updates and were stuck on a way older model, it would make it extremely difficult to jump and skip all the necessary updates to the newest one. I had one website that had never been updated to the newest joomla, running on a very old version, that made creating the website a nightmare and wasnt sure how to jump to the newest version without having to take a million steps in between.

Raju

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed April 2023

Join the Community and Discover Joomla's Power

It is a free CMS which can be used to build your website and make it look good and attractive. It is completely free to use so worth a try.

PROS

1. Joomla is designed to be search engine optimization (SEO) friendly and includes features such as meta tags, sitemaps, and URL rewriting.2. It has a large and active community of users and developers who contribute to the software by creating templates, extensions, and plugins.3. It is highly scalable and can be used to create websites and applications of any size, from small blogs to large e-commerce sites.4. Joomla can be easily integrated with other applications and services, such as social media platforms, payment gateways, and CRM systems.5. It provides users with a comprehensive support system that includes forums, documentation, and community-based support.

CONS

It is slower sometimes and might require some training to use it. However, many video tutorials are available in YouTube.

1 employee