All Zen Planner Reviews

Reviewed August 2021

Great Features - Not Intuitive

Mike

Cheaper, better, friendlier

I love their service and how much they've helped me. I would like the ACH only option for memberships though!

PROS

The customer service and ease of use, especially that everything you would essentially need is included with ZenPlanner, unlike MindBody or Triib. It's also cheaper because of PaySimple's merchant integration and I don't think most fitness businesses need the add ons that MindBody has and that you would pay for. I think being a good business owner, setting clearly defined roles and tasks for employees, and making sure they do them will lead to more sales than a email/text bot from MindBody.

CONS

I think the client facing side of signing up for memberships could be a little easier, for instance: you can't have a ACH only membership option, you do need an iPad or computer of which to then use ZenPlanner's Front Desk for, but I do know ZenPlanner is teaming up with PaySimple to possibly release a device to use instead of an iPad or computer.

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and kind words.

Replied May 2019

Jen

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2020

Customer support is outstanding

I'd give it a B- on a grading scale. The customer support is outstanding but any time you want to go beyond just keeping track of how many students you have, things become way too complicated.

PROS

Customer support really is top notch. The on boarding team is fantastic and truly went out of their way to ensure we had every available resource for success. Any little quirky issue or question we have is answered quickly and professionally by the customer support team. They are fantastic.

CONS

The basics are great but it seems to go from "ok to use" to "I have absolutely no idea what to do here" the minute any complication arises. There does not need to be a "staff user" and a "kiosk mode" on the Ipads, it confuses everyone and wastes a lot of time. Converting reports to pdf feature should be a breeze, but doesn't convert the entire report and is useless. It should have a much easier pos system as well. No real way for instructors to leave notes for students, why not? Never use the mass email or text because its just too complicated-these things can be fixed if they gave it some attention.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Because they harassed us relentlessly and were so annoying we wouldn't even consider them. Didn't have too many options at first.

Thanks, Jen, we'll pass your good words on to our customer support team!

Replied February 2020

Reviewed October 2017

Good for very simple gym businesses, bad for everything else.

PROS

ZP lets us schedule and bill clients in one place. It spits out reasonably useful accounting summaries and can handle some email automations.

CONS

This software is the worst part of my job. Do not be fooled by their slick sales staff: this cannot perform most of the functions advertised. It can, but only in a perfect world where you gym runs exactly as ZP imagines it. In this imaginary perfect world, you'd need a team of administrators working full-time to keep your database up-to-date and functioning. Our gym runs about 250 sessions per week. That's either classes or PT. They're all different. ZP's workout builder does not work for this. We were spending ~3 hours per day inputting workouts. It could not scale. So now we do not track workouts in the software. We see 100 leads per week and run free trials to get them into the gym. ZP's various 'prospect' systems cannot handle this. They are not manipulatable enough to handle the different types of trials we'd like to offer. Doing so, again, would take a team of administrators. We now use a separate sales software for everyone on trial. ZP goes down most days for 1-2 hours. 5-6 days per week. Just no software to run the gym. No attendance tracked, no bills processed, no member questions answered. ZP's calendar never works on the first try. Literally. When I click on a staff member's calender I wait 15sec for the software to reload the full gym calendar with no changes. Then I click the staff member a second time, wait another 15sec, and only then am I rewarded with his/her calendar. With 28 staff this is not working.

I¿m sorry to hear your experience with Zen Planner has been less than ideal. We'd like to offer help to ensure your database is set up efficiently and give you a direct point of contact for the issues you have brought to our attention. Please reach out to our retention expert, Nick Deprez at nick.deprez@zenplanner.com, to get set up as your review is anonymous and we are unable to reach you directly. In response to your note about down time: we diligently track the down time of our software and are currently at 99.87% availability. This would not be possible if we were down at the rate you described. I¿ve passed your feedback about our feature compatibility and sales to our Sales Team to review and ensure we maintain transparency and honesty in our sales process.

Replied October 2017

Brian

Higher Education, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Great Fitness Specific Software

Love it. Never going to leave them.

PROS

Cost for sure, ease of use, the user experience for client is also very simple.

CONS

I can't say there are any other "cons" - If i'm being nit picky they could give a bit more time towards automatic PDF invoices. Some of their invoicing procedures don't have a simple suer experience.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

Overpriced, they have change anything about the software in 10 years. Retail experience SUCKS.

Thank you so much for the review Brian, we really appreciate it!

Jayne

Reviewed May 2019

Great Software, Even Better Customer Support!

If I ever have an issue with the software, or a question on how to do something (like create a custom report) the customer support is always outstanding.

PROS

I have been using Zen for 10 years. The program is so easy to use & I am always finding new things to do with it.

CONS

When creating reports for attendance or payment history for a client, I would love to have our business name show at the header.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Zen integrated with our payment processing seamlessly.

Thank you Jayne, we appreciate the kind words!

Replied June 2019

Constantly surprises and improves

PROS

The more I learn about this software (partly due to their fantastic customer help team) the more I love it and the more it gives me back time! I still think I have barely scratched the service In its capabalities and I'm excited to learn more.

CONS

There is a bit of a learning curve but thats the same for all software. The basics at first is all you will need.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Recommendation from a friend and I had used the other two previously with other gyms

Thanks Chris, we think our support team is pretty fantastic too!

Replied June 2019

Ricky

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2020

Game changer

Just amazing! I truly have been very excited with this software and I enjoy interacting with it in a daily basis.

PROS

What I liked most about this software was the amount of things that it can do to not only help manage the numbers but keep the clients engaged and happy. I am also always amazed by the competence of the customer support team who I have called several times with questions I thought would be complicated but were not to them! I really appreciate this software and I really think my customers do again. I would recommend to anybody in the martial arts industry!

CONS

I couldn't think of anything in particular that I didn't like but if I had to say something it would be that I wish it would be more engaging with my actual website. The thing is that it probably can, I just don't know how to yet.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

Zen Planner just did so much more and they even train you on how to use the product before you could even launch which I found extremely helpful!

Thank you Ricky!

Replied March 2020

Abraham

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2019

Next Generation

Choosing Zen Planner to partner with us in growing our business, was one of the best decision we have made to date. Their website design has contributed to 90% of our current clientele. They are a team of professionals representing their brand extremely well.

PROS

1) Ease of use; 2) Customizability; 3) Professional; 4) Excellent customer support.

CONS

1) Features to engage individual athletes.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Zen Planner was willing to accommodate us during our founding months, for which we were truly thankful for.

Thank you for the kind words, Abraham! We are happy that our website is helping to grow your business and I will pass along your review to the website design team!

Joey

Sports, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2020

Modern Interface with lots of flexibility

The onboarding process was thorough. I did have to be persistent in explaining some needs that were different from what they expected.

PROS

This product can be customized in many ways to meet the specific operation of your business. The interface is slick looking and makes good use of screen real estate. The interface is fast and responsive. The universal search button lets you get to what you need quickly.

CONS

The mobile app features are quite lacking. Although it is customizable in most ways, there are some ways it is not, and when you mention these to support, they can't fathom why you'd want that. There is a feedback option to submit feature requests, and they always reply to them, but it seems the dev cycle is VERY long.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

The Perfect mind interface was clunky, and took far too many clicks to get anywhere, and had a very outdated interface, and dealing with their support was very difficult.

Thanks for the good words, Joey!

Replied February 2020

heather

Reviewed January 2022

Would not reccomend

I regret switching to Zenplanner from Mindbody. Constant bugs in the app and website. Disruptive to employees and clients

PROS

I can't think of anything I liked about it at this point.

CONS

The app for customers and employees was awful.

Mindbody Was expensive

Rodrigo

Reviewed April 2018

Very disappointing

PROS

Have been with Zen Planner since 2015, it is very user friendly. Costumer service was not bad up until something started to go wrong.

CONS

Unfortunately they have some flaws that for some reason sometimes they multiple charge my students or don't charge at all. It will happen once in a while and when that happen, their customer service become very slow and dismissive, they will send you to the processor and the processor will send you back to them. For instance, now, I have been asking to talk to a supervisor for days and they simply don't call and when I call to reach someone no one is ever available. It is very unfortunate because as I said the system is very user friendly, but they are not trust worth. Following up: Zen Planner gave me notice of cancellation after I refused to remove this review. Based on the problems I have had with them, I already had in mind and was searching for a more reliable system. Unfortunately I was forced to do it rushed, I have been trusting all my billing transactions and contacts to Zen Planner, and this transfer process does take a long time. one of the supervisors dealt with this situation very unprofessionally, focusing on make me remove my review rather then fix the real issue, treatned a few times and finally just gave me notice. I have never seen this before... I can't stress enough that you can't trust such important information for your business in such hands.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Bad service

After using their product for a couple of years and when covid forced our company to shutdown, they kept charging our business our monthly rate. After calling them to see if they would be kind enough to refund our payments they wouldn’t oblige nor would they freeze our account so I had to cancel our membership which was a big headache. I had to write a cancellation notice as well as call the different financial companies that had led our credit card transactions, etc. It’s u fortunate that after being a loyal client as well as referring a few of my colleagues to their business they would be compassionate enough to help our their clients with a small gesture.

PROS

Data entry, membership retention, payment plan

CONS

Couldn’t refund client right away after credit card payment mistake. Had to call a different company that dealt with the credit card transaction.

Customer service

Jill

Reviewed October 2022

Not quite live - but almost!

Your onboarding process has been very good. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is AMAZING!!!! I just can't say enough good things about her. The cost of credit cards and fees keeps me up at night. We are a non-profit center and the fees are high. I would love for everyone to just use cash or check - but that's impossible.

PROS

Reporting. It's easy. The front page overview of each member. I can quickly see the data I need. Love the alerts, notes and tasks. Very useful. Love the ability to email a template to a set of members with a click of the button. The configuration of the software is good. The help files are pretty good. I have found a few broken links - and some explanations seem to be a bit outdated. Love the dashboard. Love the ability to click in and get the relevant supporting data.

CONS

I wish "students" was changed to "members". It confused the hec out of our staff (who are 98% volunteers). I would like to see the support tickets be answered with the original support request data. There is no place for me to see what ticket number was written for - so if the email thread contained the original text - it would be easier. The new "Z" in the bottom right hand corner is always in my way. I have to make an effort to not touch it. When you have a LOT of members (>350) it's a pain to always click people or students - and do show all. I'm panicked about using keytags for this many members- but we need to track all usage of our fitness center and classes.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

It looked like it had the features we needed. Initial conversations were good. I felt as though we would get good support.

Mary Ellen

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2019

Solid Product for Crossfit Gyms

I do not use it for my business, but have used it as an avid fitness enthusiast for over 2 years. It is nice when gyms all over the country use this software. I can have multiple gym memberships under 1 zenplanner account and switch between them.

PROS

I have used this program at 3 crossfit facilities and have enjoyed it for viewing WODs, signing up for classes, and storing workout information and PRs. I enjoy the leaderboard feature and the support you can give your gym mates.

CONS

I wish you could add features like workout videos for various exercises that are scheduled. I find some gyms do not utilize all of the features correctly, and that can make the app rather pointless. If you are not using this app to sign up for classes, log workouts, not using the leader board feature, you really aren't getting your money's worth.

Thanks for the review, Mary Ellen! We've recently integrated our software with SugarWOD to improve our WOD experience even more!

jenny

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed July 2017

It's significantly lacking in options for subscription membership software.

PROS

I went through their entire onboarding process and with each session discovered more and more things that did not work. At best they have nice color schemes to pick from... No one's selecting their software for the color schemes, so that is essentially the biggest pro there is to Zenplanner.

CONS

Extremely limited in use. You can't have more than one 'drop-in' on an account, you can't take a deposit for an appointment without becoming a member, you can't attach a waiver to an appointment despite the variety of appointments that may exist from a gym to a yoga studio to all the other 'fitness' businesses they boast being able to manage. You can't have a group membership, therefore every single person--children included have to go through a ridiculous process of that is in no way streamlined. It can't differentiate in membership options. The list goes on and on. Basically, they hired a good marketing company and told their sales team to 'make the sale' no matter what... The needs we stated for our business was simple and we were assured that Zenplanner could perform them. Going through the onboarding process was like repeatedly being told "no it can't do that" and "oh sorry, no it can't do that either". We ended up canceling before we even started and then they refused to refund the inital payment AND to the real treat: CHARGED ME FOR AN ADDITIONAL MONTH despite the fact that I had clearly been unhappy with the product. The point being they could care less about your satisfaction and so once you sign up--they've got you...

Hi Jenny, I¿m sorry you had a negative experience with our software. We understand that Zen Planner was not a good fit for your business and we typically try to catch this early on in the sales process. Unfortunately, this did not happen in your situation but we will take this feedback and use it in future trainings. As for the charge for the additional month, the terms you signed requires a 30 day notice before cancellation, no matter the circumstance. Thanks again and best of luck!

Replied August 2017

Colin

Reviewed April 2019

Solid software, great support.

Zen Planner takes care of our membership tracking, payments, scheduling. It can be a powerful tool if you know how to use it.

PROS

We've used Zen Planner in our gym for six years, and it's been pretty uneventful overall - which is what you want with such software. It does its job with a minimum of drama. Any issues we've had have been dealt with in a timely fashion. We do not use the workout programming feature (we went with SugarWOD for that), so I can't comment on that particular feature.

CONS

Zen Planner is good about making constant improvements, but there have been some things over the years that are a bit clunky and not necessarily intuitive to use. It's likely a function of building incremental improvements into existing software rather than starting with a clean slate.

Thanks for the feedback, Colin!

Replied April 2019