The Authority on Software Selection
Talk to a Software Expert: (888) 918-2748
Exact JobBOSS Software
|8 Reviews (4.3/5)|
Exact JobBOSS is one of the most popular quoting, planning, and manufacturing execution systems in the market today. It is most often adopted by small to mid-sized job shops using Quickbooks, Excel, and/or paper folders looking to streamline operations, improve visibility, and grow revenue.
The software offers complete functionality for sales quoting, order and job creation, job scheduling (both infinite and finite capacity), material requirements planning (MRP), and manufacturing execution (MES) / shop floor control. In job boss reviews, users often praise the system for it's ease of use in setting up and creating job quotes.
We find that one key selling point for many JobBoss users is the fact that it can integrate seamlessly with Quickbooks, or be sold with its own accounting module. The other major selling point is the jobBOSS price. Many companies can get into the system for as little as a few thousand dollars, leading Exact to become a very popular option for firms trying to avoid a large ERP system spend.
JobBOSS manufacturing software is offered in three different packages (Starter, Professional, and Enterprise). As a result, many small firms will adopt it with the comfort of knowing they can grow with the system over time. More feature-rich packages will include advanced functionality for serial number tracking, CRM, workflow automation, and quality control. JobBOSS ERP software is fairly unique in its ability to be deployed on-premise or over the Web.
Exact was founded in 1984 by young entrepreneurs working out of their garage. Over time, Exact has retained its commitment to software for SMBs and has hence become one of the bigger names in ERP software. The company is headquartered in the Netherlands with offices worldwide.
Due to its popularity--and high ratings in JobBOSS reviews from customers--we very often recommend this software to small companies looking for a very affordable system as well as larger companies in need of a robust ERP solution.
- Exact released Job BOSS software version 11.4 in June 2011. The update coincided with the release of JobBOSS Total Quality Management (TQM), an extension of the system designed to improve product quality and compliance. The tool can help manufacturers monitor compliance with standards such as ISO 9000.
- On March 27, 2012 the company announced that Intuit Pro Advisor reviewed the Exact JobBOSS Starter Edition and awarded them Gold Certification. Prior to awarding Gold Certification, Intuit evaluated Quickbooks integration to ensure that accounting information can easily be shared with the main system.
- In May 2012, Exact announced a new integration with SPS Commerce, a Cloud-based supply chain management solution. The integration is designed to improve electronic data interchange (EDI) transactions between manufacturers and their suppliers. With the SPS integration, customers can now avoid having to rekey EDI transactions into their main system.
8 Reviews of Exact JobBOSS
JobBOSS is easy to train on and having a "dummy" database to play with helps with new ideas or training purposes. When we implemented, half of the trainees were interns (straight out of school) but everybody was able to pick it up with ease. Our JobBOSS trainer worked at the speed we needed him to be at to be up and running with the software by January 2007- fast on some days, slow on other days. We do no seek JobBOSS customer support that often. There are the occasional bugs that you will get with any software upgrade but we have not sought additional help with their software.
In my chats with other users, I have talked with " half users" of the software and wonder how they can maintain two different software and databases for everyday business functions. JobBOSS is spectacular if you utilize every module and report. It is what you put into it. Put everything into and it will let you see everything you need to know.
JobBOSS is one of those companies that are continually developing their product and they do a great job of listening to their customers and implementing changes that matter!
We evaluated several different software systems, but decided on JobBoss based on a number of factors including cost, ease of use, service after the sale, and the ability to adapt the software to our specific setup. We purchased JobBoss, including the accounting and data collection modules, in March 2006 and provided ourselves with a nine-month window to implement it, going live on January 1, 2007. Implementation went well, with no major problems. We purchased and used 32 hours of on-site consulting to assist with the implementation, which I highly recommend. The consultant saved us a significant amount of time with implementation by providing one-on-one training, explaining set up options that similar companies successfully used, and helping us with importing data.
We also took advantage of the free on-line training available through the portal. Fast forward to 2012, we have been extremely happy with the overall service, tech support, software upgrades and efficiency that JobBoss has provided our organization. JobBoss has eliminated the manual tracking and reporting system we previously used, has provided us with accurate job and labor costs, and continues to support our business needs as we continue to grow.
Throughout the years as Griffin grew, more and more excel spreadsheets and access databases were required to track the variety of information required. This often led to data entry errors, information not available when needed, and frustration throughout the organization. In 2008 we decided to pursue a software solution that was capable of handling the multitude of data required. We discovered Exact JobBOSS at IMTS in Chicago. After several demos and discussions with the sales staff at Exact, conversations with other Exact JobBOSS users, and internal meetings we made the decision to switch to Exact JobBOSS and Synergy. We went live in January of 2009 and have not looked back.
Our implementation process went fairly smoothly, all things considered. I definitely recommend relying on the expertise of the consultants at Exact to help you through the conversion. They were able to review how we run our business, which helped us to let Exact JobBOSS do the work for us. Our biggest challenges were training shop floor personnel who had never touched a computer before to use Data Collection. Also, for the users to learn the system, to obtain the data they were looking for rather than relying on administrative support to supply it for them.
Today we are using version 11.3.8 of Exact JobBOSS along with Exact Synergy ASP, and are very happy with it. We have eliminated almost all of the extra reports that were used outside of the system, to track information, with the reports supplied by JobBOSS. We have even written some custom reports. As a result, we have reduced our administrative staff from five full-time employees to three full-time employees. We continue to improve our processes and our use of the system. We look forward to upgrading to the newest 11.5 version of JobBOSS along with Synergy ESE with the help of the support staff at Exact.
JobBoss does a nice job of continually improving the software. The current version is 11.5. Version 11 includes an upgrade to the scheduling module as well as improvements to other areas. Typically an upgrade is offered every 2 - 3 years with minor revisions each year. JobBoss input screens have a logical process layout and icons are placed so that you can check information easily in other areas. For instance, when entering an order it is easy to check stock status, profitability or quality data for past jobs.
JobBoss has two very handy viewers. The first is ShopView, which is very helpful for checking order status and details on past orders. Right down to when the material was pulled and by whom. The second is ShopStats, which provides an excellent overview of the company. There are four tabs, Customers, Production, Vendors, Financial: each with key statistics for the past 6 months. JobBoss created a handy system for communicating events within your shop called ShopAlerts. Almost any event within JobBoss can be designated to trigger an email or an alert to any user. Re-order material, New Order release, Part scrapped, etc.
Exact JobBoss is central to running our businesses and continues to be a valuable tool for us.
The ability to access the data directly (via MS Access or SQL) was important to us. With our old product the data was in a black box that we had no direct control over. The price was competitive for the features offered. Since purchasing the software in 2002, we have continued to be impressed by their support and commitment to their customers. We like that JobBOSS surveys customers for improvements that they add to the software. This makes us feel like we are really a part of the team and our opinions and needs matter. Support is, for the most part, very responsive. Short hold times and support representatives are friendly and knowledgeable.
Since being purchased by Exact, JobBOSS’s commitment to customers and service hasn’t diminished. (As can be typical when smaller businesses are acquired) We like the ability to schedule our shop floor using the program. As well as how interconnected all aspects of the manufacturing processes are in this program. If material is late in arriving it lets you know the schedule is going to be affected. Before we purchased JobBOSS, scheduling was accomplished using paper/binders and calling or running back in forth to different people to get status updates. With JobBOSS all our information is a click away. The program had about a month long learning period but to get up and running it only took about a week. The program is also fairly intuitive, in our opinion, so that helps lessen the learning curve.
I would have little trouble recommending Exact JobBOSS to any manufacturing shop. It has helped us become more aware of the bottlenecks in our own shop. It also provides in-depth insight into the entire manufacturing process from quote to shipment.
- The ease and accuracy of setting up detailed quotes or job templates for one time or repetitive work and then launching very detailed information packets to the production floor. This has minimized the amount of work in process questions and the cost of quality.
- The MRP and inventory control functions have allowed Starr to minimize on hand raw material balances by 70% or almost $1M. By using JobBoss and some lean efforts to track and purchase materials we have the correct amounts of material when we need it but not in excess tying up valuable cash flow.
- Another huge step in our ability to service customer accounts was the implementation of customer parts inventory systems. We are able to define certain common customer parts as finished goods, and to produce them in larger batches using our MRP reports rather than producing one part at a time to a particular order.
- Data Collection has drastically improved our job cost reporting and eliminated the need for 1-2 employees to manually enter in old job transactions days or weeks after they occurred. This has transformed all of our JobBoss status reports. Giving us vital data to make important business decisions.
- Lastly JobBoss's integration with Exact Synergy has allowed Starr to go almost completely paperless with regards to our ISO 9001: 2008 quality system among many other benefits Synergy brings to the table. The document control feature and most importantly the definable process flows Synergy adds, ensure that quality processes are addressed promptly and by the correct people at all times. ISO audits have never been easier and participation by employees in the quality process has never been simpler and less dreaded.
Starr could not generate or facilitate the amount of sales, with as few administrative employees that we have, without using this ERP solution. Exact Software and the JobBoss developers have been listening to customer feedback and we cannot wait to see some of the upcoming enhancements the team has made to make JobBoss an even better tool.
Do you use Exact JobBOSS?
|Learn more about Exact JobBOSS:|