• Pros

• "It is so easy to use, so simple to pick up anywhere and update, and easy enough for anyone to view and understand! :)"

• "It has a clear layout and is very easy to use "

• "- Easy of use - Performance - Interface - Good visibility into my resources and their load"

• Cons

• "It can feel a little clunky at times and buggy. For the most part it is ok, but some of the processes could be easier and more flexible in how a user can interact with them."

• "It can begin to get a little bit laggy when there are many other members of staff on display at the same time. Other than that, no complaints!"

• "Originally it was a bit clunky but the latest upgrades have made it super good."

Browse Float Reviews

Aidan from hedgehog lab

Beautifully simple and easy to use

Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pros

Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Cons

The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

Jonathan from Airbnb

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

So Glad I Found this Software!

Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pros

I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Cons

For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Float was the first software I found.

Ian from University of Law

You float my boat

I'm pretty much scheduling 9am-5pm as part of my job, so I needed something that was 'clean' and easy to use, as well as having the required functionality. I trialled a few other software products and found Float came out on top.

Pros

The user-friendliness. It doesn't try and be too over complicated.

Cons

only downside is that I'm unable to brand it up a bit with our company logo's/colours. Not a biggy though, more of a nice to have.

Reasons for Choosing Float

The user interface was a lot cleaner than alternative products and it was generally a lot more user friendly.

Laura from NorthHouse Creative

Great value. Lots of potential

I've been using CETA scheduling software for the last 4 years in big VFX companies and I must say that Float is not there yet but is actually getting broadly comparable. In the last 4 months that I introduced it into my new team it's proved to be quite useful to keep track of the progression of our projects. During these months I've seen that it has already improved in many areas that I'm excited to see what comes next. I can see it can become a really powerful software.

Pros

There aren't may softwares that let you schedule a team in such an easy and organised way. I think most softwares nowadays are too complex and make you spend more time organising tasks than actually working on them. Float is so clear and simple you can actually use it to manage big projects without spending too much time on it.

Cons

It's getting better, but it would be very useful if we could: - Right click on a pencil and be able to copy it over into a different person. - Book more than one person on the same project (for example if two workers are on the same project because one of them is doing a training but you don't want to charge twice for that time). - Lately when I try to schedule more than 1 project in one day on the same person I get a message saying I can't schedule anyone for more than 24 hours) even if I'm not exceeding the 8 normal working hours. It'd be great if that could be fixed. - It'd be good if milestones were more visible. - I think reports should be a bit less complicated and more visual. - It'd be really helpful if you could group projects up in folders when you go to the Projects tab as at the moment we have like... 45 different projects going on and although we color code them it's difficult to organise all of them. -I'd like to have more than only three types of view when looking at our schedules a part from 'Days, 'Weeks' and 'Months'. It'd be great if you could 'Archive' users as well as projects. So when a worker it's not working at the company anymore and you don't want to pay for it on Float you can kind of 'Archive' him (so you are not able to book him on anything but still you can see him on the boards so you don't loose what it's been scheduled on him.)

Reasons for Choosing Float

Its the closes to CETA software that we could find. It's good value for the price it offers and it's very intuitive and flexible.

Marco from Labitech

Great software for planning but missing some features.

Overall I am very satisfied with Float, as it allowed me to save a lot of time in my planning activity and provided the company with a tool that everyone can use.

Pros

I really like the possibility of having a global view of the activities and the possibility of having a fast (very fast) synchronization with the Outlook calendar. Furthermore, it is really useful to assign different roles to people in order to define planning permissions.

Cons

I am not crazy about the graphic style of the calendar / schedule view. Hiding over the weekend it is difficult to see at a glance the separation between the various weeks. Also there is no translation of the portal in Italian, not a serious deficiency, but if there were it would be better :) It also lacks the ability to view your schedule in a daily agenda format in order to have a more precise schedule of your commitments, as you can do through outlook.

Reasons for Choosing Float

We chose float among all the other software seen because it provided a better user / price ratio than others in relation to the size of the company. The choice was also made because it provided all the necessary functions of division into teams, projects and tasks that were necessary for our team.

Stephen from Honeywell Enacto

I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Reasons for Choosing Float

They solved the issue I was struggling with which is a team view and resource capacity planning. The other products were either to complex or did not have the features I desired.

Brian from Analytics8

Float review

Pros

Ease of use. Ease of setup. Simple licensing model

Cons

Should have the ability to show far more consultants on a single screen - requires too much scrolling

Wouter from RMDY

By far the best tool I've found to allocate people to projects

As the title says, I find this tool the easiest to use for allocating people to my projects. We've used this in the previous company I worked for and I suggested it here again. Our whole PMO is enthousiastic!

Pros

easy to use Clear setup Organisations / skills / tags for people and projects

Cons

I'ts not quite as snappy running in a browser. I'd like to see an windows app for this.

Just plane better

Amanda from Bannerboy AB

One of the better project management tools out there

Pros

I like that you can split bookings and set different hours on different dates, rather than blanket booking a full resource.

Cons

I dislike that you must click more than 2 times to add a new project. It's an extra step that I find a bit more cumbersome than other project tools.

Robert from SYZYGY Deutschland GMBH

// Float with FLOAT

Pros

Overall an ideal feature-set for planning a team of ~50 people Great Interface Great search & sorting functions, that can be easily bookmarked Nice mobile app with the basic features you need on the go

Cons

Profile pictures of team members could be a little bigger

Reasons for Choosing Float

Straight forward set of functions - not too overloaded

Brad from SOH Studios

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

Davy from W247.be

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Reasons for Choosing Float

Google Sheets was not efficient anymore. Teamleader had too many features for our current needs and would have created more overhead costs.

Tomasz from Liteweb

Resource planning in big picture

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways: 1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project. 2. Planning time off office days 3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Nice UI, easy to set up, fast to add and modify

Christian from Data Wiring Solutions Ltd.

Float Review

We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it. WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros

Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there. Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task. Great job, keep it up!

Cons

Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros

With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons

Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

Joseph from Anthesis Group

Industry: Environmental Services

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are. There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

Program Manager using Float

We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!

Pros

Cons

- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now - Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part - Adding holidays could be easier - When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project

Heather from Gtech

Multi disciplinary studio management

Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros

The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons

The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved. Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window. Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Sara from Fixer Brand Design Studio

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros

I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons

Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Flexible, collaborative scheduling

It's been a learning experience for us as a team, and myself as an individual. We now push all work in as soon as we even believe it will happen and mark it as tentative. We can add milestones and deliverables so everyone collaborating on the schedule can see how much work there is and how likely it is they'll be able to add more in. A great tool that's got us away from the horror of scheduling in excel.

Pros

Can easily see the whole stream of work. We were using excel, not ideal, especially when it came to needing to change it and others had it open. We'd done this for years, not great. This tool means we can react faster to the needs of our busy studio. Adding milestones has been invaluable because we can easily see where pinch points will happen. Handling employee leave and work hours is now super seamless as float deals with it for you using the 'time off' feature.

Cons

It can be fiddly to arrange work in the correct order if you're doing less than half a day block at a time. Fortunately, this doesn't typically affect us, as we deal almost exclusively with long term, large projects.

Marco from Ompi North America - Stevanato Group

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Unbeatable task and team manager

Pros

Easy, Easy, Easy! Uncluttered and extremely intuitive user interface. Basically no learning curve, even for unexperienced users. Despite its clean and tidy interface, Float is still ideal for enterprise use. It sports a very powerful team manager platform, perfect to assign and follow tasks, instantly spreading any update with team members. Automatic reports allow to keep under control time consumption.

Cons

Float run in cloud, there's no possibility to implement a self hosted solution.

Reasons for Choosing Float

User interface cleaner and easier.

Allysa from Ceros

Float is great

Pros

It's really really REALLY easy to use with a very intuitive interface. Float is continuously tweaking features for the better to further improve upon the UI/UX. My project management team did a lot of research on resource management tools and Float was the only one that allowed for such a granular view (i.e., instead of planning sprints in 2 weeks, it's day by day). We needed that for our business as we are run day-to-day with sometimes very small tasks (0.5-1hr) and Float was the only one allowing us to get that granular. Further, whenever we've had an issue the Support team is very quick and responsive to helping us!

Cons

The Reporting tools aren't as great and well-organized as our Finance/Billing team would like. But the front-end is superior to the other tools my team considered so we are still using on that front.

Rick from Dolphiq

Great tool for day to day business!

Pros

Float is very easy to use and makes you activities for the day very insight-full. As project manager it is possible to see all the activities for the team in a blink of an eye. The sorting functions are great; by project, by team and more. Also adding repetitive tasks and scheduled items is very easy. This tool improved our daily workflow greatly!

Cons

For now we really don't have any dislikes at all. All our requirements for good planning/team management software are met in Float.

Ben from NOKIA

Flexible and responsive

Float has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources. I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !

Pros

Being able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!

Cons

responsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes

Rachel from Coherence

Great software

Float allows the entire studio to understand what they're booked on and gives the managers a greater understanding of when tasks are completed.

Pros

Float is a really helpful piece of software, especially for running studio resourcing. The flexibility of being able to move jobs between different resources is great. Definitely one of the easiest resourcing tools i've used.

Cons

After doing a a few resource moves the system gets a bit buggy and you have to refresh or sometimes log out and log back in again to see the changes you've made.

Price!

Brian from Easyvista

Scheduling application for groups

I needed a place to make calendar entries and schedules visible to PMs and consultants without having to set and manage permissions in other popular email and calendaring applications. Float fits the bill giving my entire team access to their tasks and view others. It allows the PMs to see this information as well. It also provides mobile access through a dedicated appm

Pros

I like the ability to see and control the schedules of my consultants at a glance. It's simple to use and create new entries for others. I can see where my resources are scheduled and their availability to be scheduled for additional tasks and projects. I like that I can move tasks around easily.

Cons

I don't like that I have to create a new project and task for each entry. Mostly they are the same types of tasks, but one offs can be irksome at times. It's a small inconvenience since the application meets all of my other needs.

Gordon W from Graydient Creative

A great solution for a small team with room to grow

Not having to rely on tools that weren't built for this purpose to achieve the desired output is fantastic. Excel is for numbers and spreadsheets, not managing project.

Pros

I love that this is an affordable, web-based, easy to configure and use tool that is extremely flexible. There's a lot of power in only asking for as much information as is needed in order to be useful. It's a great visual way to manage projects and people and to get a sense of how people's workload is at any given moment. As an end user, it's great to be able to see how my week is looking at the start so that anything that comes up can be managed and it's a burden to try and juggle it all.

Cons

Float very much purpose-built to schedule work, but there are a number of features that are present in more project-focused solutions which are lacking-- namely time tracking and dependencies. However, adding some of these features might sacrifice that which makes Float great at what it does, simplicity.

alice from Orange Bus

Float Review - Digital Agency

Pros

Cons

I love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily. It works well for a lower amount of people. As the buisness grows it is more effort to maintain. However for companies with less than 100 people this is a great solution. One negative is they removed the alt click drag to copy fundtion which I really found useful. Genreally it is a great tool!

Chris from Iris Singapore

Great Concept with Some Server issues

Float helps us accurately manage our project life cycles and also individual workloads to ascertain useful information about performance rates and also account health.

Pros

Float is visually very easy to read and allows users to be succinct but detailed at the same time.

Cons

Float tends to not register all our changes and tends to not be completely "LIVE" as it requires multiple refreshes at times to attain the most updated information. This is mainly happens when there are multiple project managers. The export report is not as detailed as I would like it to be. It would be more beneficial to have monthly exports with breakdowns per job, per person and per week. I need to use the raw data more often than referring to the online report so it would be good to see some improvements on this.

Review after 3 years as an Software Company to follow our client's project

We choose Float because it doesn't do a lot of things but what it does it do it well

Pros

Easy to use Collaborative Efficient for each project manager

Cons

Difficulties to follow each budget for every project we deploy Smartphone apply very limited

Reasons for Choosing Float

Easy to use, more focus on basic features

Matthias from Fusonic GmbH

First impressions after a couple of weeks

Float works as expected but has a couple of UI glitches. It's a bit hard to get real overview as soon as you have more than ~5 people or want to get a long-term view. The tool has a lot of potential and definitely works better than an Excel sheet ;-)

Pros

It allows for very transparent capacity planning within the company. Every employee can see their own and co-workers schedule in advance and make changes to it. Also it forces project managers to do capacity planning since this is our “single source of truth” for planned work. We also like the focus of Float to solve only one business problem.

Cons

There are a couple of things that we discovered in the past weeks: - Milestone tooltips are buggy – they sometimes don't disappear - Horizontal scrolling with a classic mouse does not work as expected (SHIFT + scroll) - It would be nice to have an iCal address for team members to see all “time off” entries in Google Calendar or other calendar apps - Working with recurring tasks is a real pain (Rescheduling within weeks, splitting etc.). We chose to not use this feature alltogether. - It would be nice to have a sync with GitLab to be able to select GitLab issues instead of defining “tasks” in Float all over again. - It would be nice to automatically sync “time off” and G Suite's “Out of office” functionality - Due to the horizontal view it's quite difficult to get a long-term view of capacity. It's only great for short-term (~1 month) planning.

Bryan from Applied Global Technologies

Quick and Easy!

It's still quick and easy even with its very few flaws. my coworkers and I are all scattered around the country so its nice to be able to quickly look at an upcoming job then find out who is on it with me without having to call them all and find out who I'm working with!

Pros

I've only been using it for about 6 months but I love how clean and to the point it is. I find my name and find out what my duties are for that day. I travel a lot so its really nice to be able to look at a week and see where in the country I may be. It allows me to start planning my travel and some sightseeing with plenty of time to spare so that once the time comes, I just get on a plane and go to work!

Cons

There's no Android app. That's a big turn off but I manage. I'd really appreciate this functionality in the future. I'm not sure if its just me but when I log in on my computer, each area takes up the whole screen. its quite strange. I have to scroll to the next person even though they should be smaller boxes. on my phone they are almost too squished to read and I haven't found a way manually size the boxes.

Hannelie from e-Spatial Ltd

Key resource management tool

Very easy to use, great dashboards and continuous enhancements to the product.

Pros

Easy to navigate and setup. Integration with Outlook. Out of office functionality. Administration module to access invoices etc. Team setups

Cons

More fluent way of connecting to JIRA. Financial management and time tracking would be great.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Inexpensive and had all the features we needed

Christine from iris worldwide

Does what it is meant to do really well

It's been great. It's solved our issue of resourcing, and once your team is on board with using it however you decide, it is a really helpful and powerful (yet simple) tool to make sure communication and expectations of teams for the day is clear.

Pros

Float is made for resourcing at a high-level view. They do this well and in a visually appealing manner. Float is constantly improving as well with adding more helpful features. They are not trying to be a project management tool or something else, which I truly appreciate as I don't want too many bells and whistles on top of their core product.

Cons

I'd like the ability to clean and audit it a bit more, as we use it for a very large network, but that may be more on my company than Float to manage.

Nick from N2N Digital

Float is a great solution for small businesses looking to get their schedules organised

Easy visual scheduling for the team

Pros

We love the easy drag and drop interface, the ease of use of the whole system, the API allowing us to create/sync projects and tasks from our project management system, and the ability for our team to sync their Float schedule to their iOS or Exchange calendars via the iCal feed.

Cons

We think there are some minor things that would make the software even easier to use missing from it: - ability to drag and drop to copy a schedule from one person/resource to another (not just reallocate) - ability to see Notes on a project by hovering over the quick note icon on the schedule - ability to see confirmed appointments vs tentative (clients are using colours to do this at the moment)

viviam from Usaria

Industry: Research

Good project dashboard

Pros

To see all my team tasks To see all my projects at the same time

Cons

Can not edit project from "project" tab. Can not have a timeSheet for my team. Can not have a gantt to projects.

Yes, because the cost.

Veary from Avocado Consulting

Change the way you work!

Time spent managing an excel spreadsheet, trying to integrate or find out staff holidays and /or training, managing pipeline work and assigning staff - all this is now achieved in minutes rather than hours!

Pros

Float saves you time: when you manage a number of resources across multiple clients and projects and lets not forget planned training and AL - most organisations don't have one system where employees, managers and project managers can view staff availability. The administration for Float is low and does not require you to update!

Cons

updating a resource and having to select the Today button again - sometimes is confusing

Float kept it simple

Jodine from Principals

Floatastic

It's been invaluable for design resource planning and tracking for both designers seeing their plan for the week and account managers ensuring we have enough hands on deck.

Pros

We've been using Float for daily and forward resource planning for about 2-3 years. It was good to start with, but has continually been updated and improved, the latest version has great new features that we've always wished we had. There are tons of great features: colour coding of projects, annual leave and public holiday entry, scaling of time blocks.

Cons

Most of the niggles have been fixed in this latest update. But having to enter hex numbers for colour selection. It's account managers using this product not designers.

Faye from Bluefrog

Industry: Fund-Raising

Into the future you go with Float

It has transformed our creative deparment going from excel sheets sent around via email at the end of the week to everyone having an account and checking their workload for the day. It has also meant I can work closer with the finance department to forecast and see hours burnt.

Pros

Float completely transformed our creative department as it allowed me to be much more reactive with organising the workflow of the floor. Float gave me back so many hours to manage projects. It's very easy to use and a great way to see what projects are booked in with who. We have multiple projects and the colour coding tool for clients is a dream!

Cons

The only con I have found with Float is aligning the same projects tasks in one line. For instance Person A could have Project X with 1st development ending on tuesday and 1st comments on wednesday starting 2nd development, if they have another project, say project Y that could be in the same row as 1st development and 2nd development could be a line below making it a bit hard to follow.

Theresa from Paradigm design

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Daily user

Easy to schedule people for daily tasks and coordinate projects

Pros

Easy to navigate add and remove and replace items

Cons

There really isn't anything I don't like

Morgan from Praekelt Consulting

Float, the scheduling tool that powers our team

Float has enabled us to grow our team without much additional effort to track and report on the team allocations. It is essential for our traffic and scheduling.

Pros

We depend on float to track allocation of work across our team. This varies from tasks which take a few hours, to tasks which take multiple weeks or months. Float handles all this, enabling us to see which of our team need work, and how we can juggle or reschedule work when things change.

Cons

We do have duplication between team members' Google calendars and float, and have tried to resolve this by automating a synchronisation - but the calendars will always have more detail than Float so we are living with this duality.

Sam from Broadsword Solutions, Inc.

Float is my go-to tool for time management

I manage a team of 8 consultants. Float allows me to see where everyone is going to be on just one screen, instead of having to check 8 different calendars. Ease of my job is absolutely the biggest benefit.

Pros

Weekly emails, ease of adding in new projects or tasks to existing projects, the color options (it's like working in a rainbow!), and the reporting/statistics feature. It's nice being able to see current utilization vs. projected. It's very basic, but very straightforward. I also love how it's cloud based, so I can access it anywhere I need to.

Cons

My only complaint is that if you make adjustments to the weekly schedule too close to when the weekly emails go out, the changes might not always get picked up in the notification. I've worked with the developer team to try and figure this one out without any luck. It's so minor, though.

Edward from Six

Great scheduling tool

I've used Float for a number of years now, it's my go-to tool for scheduling resource as it's very quick to setup, and only takes a few minutes each day to update and maintain. The pricing model is also great, as it's per resource, so you can have as many (free) account as you like with access to see the schedules still.

Pros

Float is great for scheduling development resource, the biggest advantage it offers is the ability to quickly and easily make amends and changes, and seeing what impact that has on other projects.

Cons

the UX can be a bit fiddly when it comes to setting up repeating events, such as weekly maintenance windows. It does however become easier once you master the keyboard shortcuts.

Finn from Peakfijn

Wonderful piece of software

Pros

Float has given me more overview in my day-to-day planning at work. It's a wonderful tool that does what you'd expect. Besides the wonderful functionality and ease-of-use, it looks very good, too.

Cons

I'm personally missing a few key features: - I'd like to see Google Calendar integration, it'd be nice to see my day in my calendar on the go. - Notifications would be handy, I've had it happen my planning has been changed without me knowing. - A dark theme is always a good thing, would love to see that added.

Response from Pixel Paddock

Replied August 2019

Hi Finn, Thanks so much for the feedback! We do have a Google Calendar integration. You can select this from the global navigation menu > My profile settings > Integrations. Support article: http://support.float.com/en/articles/2795210-google-calendar-integration We're working on notifications at the moment, stay tuned! Thanks again for the feedback and choosing Float! Siobhan

Jamie from Social Chain

Float 2017-2019

Our team would be unorganised chaos without it!

Pros

I've been using Float to organise the structure of our Design Team for over two years now, we trialled a few different alternatives but ultimately Float was the top pick for our team. The simplistic booking system means ease of use for our Designers, we can view our work, the time, the project type, and add in notes with project manager names so we know who to contact. Being able to share an un-editable version of this schedule with the wider team is perfect for visibility on available time.

Cons

The lack of an Android version of the Float app.

Seb from Social Communications

Great tool for scheduling across a busy creative team

We have been trialling Float in order to replace a pen-and-whiteboard system in our office - it replicates the experience of that board almost exactly, with the added bonus that our team and other teams within the agency can view the schedule from anywhere, rather than needing to be at the office location. So far, with the exception of the minor suggested tweaks above, it has done everything we've needed it to.

Pros

The quick and intuitive means by which projects and jobs can be added, updated and moved around in schedules. It's a really handy way to both view and quickly update the full picture of workloads, schedules, availability and project progress.

Cons

While excellent for immediate-term planning, I would like to see a little more in the way of options for longer-term, or non-date-specific, planning - perhaps the ability to add a "pending" column that sits persistently alongside the day and date columns, to act as a reminder of jobs that will come onto schedule soon but aren't ready to be assigned to a particular day/week! It would also be useful to be able to less evenly proportion time across days - e.g. spread a job over two days but assign more hours to one than the other, rather than the equal split as present. These are feature requests rather than issues, though - on the whole the experience is excellent and does exactly as you'd hope/expect.

Boston from Fact & Fiction

Simple Project and Schedule Manager

Pros

My company tried using Asana for about a year and found it too complicated to get everyone on the same page. Then we went fully manual, by switching to spreadsheets for schedule and project management. Float finds a nice middle ground of simplicity and interactive UI. It's great that managers can view everything from a project view and makers and creatives can look at just their own schedule. Plus the option to subscribe to an actual calendar format makes it easy to view our schedules on the go from our phones and personal devices.

Cons

I haven't found a way to specify what TIME of day things need to happen. When viewing from a subscribed calendar, every event is an "all day event"

Jamie from Jamf

Float - Makes Scheduling So Much Easier

Overall my experience has been positive. I've experienced just a few minor annoyances, but nothing to break my day down.

Pros

I like that you can easily search and pare down to locate the information you need. Visually it is very appealing and easy to maneuver through. This tool really helps to manage a large number of people's schedules and keep things organized.

Cons

I do and do not like the holiday feature. I appreciate that you can easily add holidays in different regions, but it's kind of difficult to customize for a large group. I also have a problem when I am working in Float - the "My projects" "Departments" drop down lingers and I constantly have to click in the search bar to type something to make it go away. Last feature I think could be enhanced - when making changes to an event - there should be a "are you sure" window that pops up to confirm that you do want to delete. I've mistakenly made changes before where I didn't mean to which caused some problems.

David from RPM Global

Industry: Mining & Metals

Excellent tool

We are using float every day to manage our 12 week resource schedule and balance the workforce.

Pros

It is simple and easy to use . The User Interface is clean an uncluttered and you can quickly see who has capacity to take on more work.

Cons

We would like the ability to lock down the settings and colours, so we can enforce upcoming jobs of different type or status are shown in the same colour. It would also be good to have regional settings for things like public holidays so these aren't applied globally. Holidays differ across countries (e.g. thanksgiving doesn't apply in Canada and Australia.

Marc from United Digital Group

Overall a good tool

It's one of the best tools on the market.

Pros

Float is a relatively easy to use tool regarding its amount of features. The UI is quite intuitive and the Float guys are updating and implementing features regularly.

Cons

Since we implemented our whole company in Float the system got slower. It was much faster when we had only 30-40 employees to handle. Now with nearly 500 it often reacts slowly and that feels like a bug. There are a lot of features still missing and I wish there were more possibilities to customise.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Response from Pixel Paddock

Replied August 2019

Hi Marc, Thanks so much for the review! We're always keen to hear from our customers about improvements and new features to add to Float. Please feel welcome to email support@float.com with your specific feedback. Cheers, Siobhan