What are R.O.Writer users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using R.O.Writer software through verified user reviews

• icon"Not only in grosses on sales, but on efficiencies. It makes ordering part very easy and you can compare competitors pricing."
  • icon"What we like about RO Writer is the ease of use and the ability to navigate through the Software."
  • icon"Our CPA recommends it also as it is very powerful in that feature. The Support team is awesome."
  • icon"The second worst problem is lack of user input. There are several areas in the program that work...but require many extra steps that could be reduced with minor coding additions."
  • icon"I am upset that I didn't migrate to Generation 2 sooner."
  • icon"There are other issues, but the tech support is very bad."

Browse all R.O.Writer Reviews

• Have you used R.O.Writer and would like to share your experience with others?

Erich

Great system for the European repair industry

Pros

I pushed for RO Writer when we decided to open our own shop due to the great experience I had at another shop. The system is well built and is VERY customizable so we can build it more to our everyday use. I like the fact that is integrates World Pac as that is our main parts source. My partners have only been working with the system for a few days and already love the overall simplicity of it and how relatively intuitive it is. The scheduler is another great feature so we are able to see what we have at a glance. We also like the training that comes along with getting the program as they make sure that you understand the basics of the system and provide plenty of guidance time and time for any questions. Customer support has been great so far and sales was a great experience as we were only sold what we were looking for and did not feel pressured to get anything we didn't need.

Cons

The only real issue we have at the moment with RO Writer is the accounting software integration is provided by a third-party vendor. This requires an additional up front cost and then a monthly fee thereafter so RO Writer can integrate with Quickbooks. It would be nice if RO Writer would offer this integration with the system rather than having a third party vendor, but at the same time RO Writer makes a great product.

Kevin

RO Writer 2019 Gen 2 Migration

My workflow has improved significantly since the migration / upgrade. My employees are using the software far more effectively. We even took advantage of training that RO Writer offers and it has been a breath of fresh air for us. In conclusion, I had issues with my previous set up, RO Writer made promises that If i upgraded to Generation 2, a lot of my issues would be eliminated. I appreciate that they were right and that they made it incredibly easy.

Pros

1. Had problems with querying data (IE History) Was told that this issue would go away if I migrated to Generation 2. I was skeptical. RO Writer was absolutely correct. Looking up info is now incredibly fast thanks to the SQL Server back end. 2. Sales, Install and Training called me WHEN they said they would and everything worked around my schedule, couldn't have asked for it to go better. The team was fantastic. 3. I have several different POS systems. RO Writer is my favorite when it comes to ease of use, hands down.

Cons

I honestly don't have any cons to list here. I am upset that I didn't migrate to Generation 2 sooner.

Dean

Was decent, then bad, then abysmal

9 years of honeymoon promises, updates, new sales reps, always promises and no delivery. For the last 5 years I averaged over 20 hours per both on tech support calls. That should say enough right there.

Pros

Details. You want reports, you got ‘em.

Cons

Almost everything else. Just gets worse with each iteration.

Reasons for switching to R.O.Writer

More functionality and recommended by my then ATI coach. Huge mistake.

Clint

February 2022

R.O. Writer

R.O. Writer is a quality software to help keeps things organized.

Pros

R.O. Writer has everything you need in once data base to find out how to repair a car, quote the repair, and invoice the customer.

Cons

R.O. Writer has so much information within the software it doesn't make it very user friendly to someone with little experience.

costa and features

Keith

RO Writer easy to use

The day to day use of RO Writer has become a natural part of our days.

Pros

Very easy to use, integrates with Quickbooks, easy to make labor lines to suite customer complaints, very customizable, has a DVI system that allows techs to attach pictures to RO.; allows text communications between service writers and tech which increase efficiencies. Has text capabilities from Service writer to customer and allows customer to text back for increased approval times; etc.

Cons

It is not designed to manage a large inventory (works great on a small inventory)

Reasons for choosing R.O.Writer

Was the easiest to use and had AR, AP, Inventory, Reporting and customer retention all in one package

Reasons for switching to R.O.Writer

Polaris was a doss type system and would not have taken us into any future. With the future of technology changing so quickly, companies have to change too. Researching and testing various work order type software, RO Writer was a good choice to fit our business model.

Robbie

It was great back in the 90's when it was designed - now it's like driving an antique car

RO Writer was a solid option for a shop management system about 10 years ago. The software is very comprehensive and highly customizable. That said, we have suffered from constant technical problems over the last several years. RO Writer tech support has required us to spend a small fortune updating and replacing network hardware(including our server) to fix the technical problems, but the problems were never fixed. After spending a ton on upgrades to our network, we finally gave up and replaced RO Writer with another software. I've been trying to contact their billing department for months in order to be released from our service agreement due to the constant technical problems, but I can't even get them to return my calls or e-mails. RO Writer was originally designed around a Microsoft Access database, which is ancient technology in 2021. The "new" version(which they will charge you another $10K for and make you sign a 3 year agreement) is based on SQL, but it's half-baked and doesn't function properly. This software should have been scrapped and totally redesigned a decade ago, but the company keeps dragging along their antiquated system and selling it like it's a modern shop management system. Let me finish with this: If RO Writer's website was based on the same technology that their software is, NOBODY would even consider buying it because you would load the website and realize it was designed with twenty year old technology.

Pros

Good parts ordering options and great product documentation

Cons

Constant crashes, extremely slow response from software. I spent half of my day staring at my screen waiting for RO writer to catch up with me.

Shop Boss, Protractor.NET and NAPA TRACS

Reasons for choosing R.O.Writer

At the time, it was the most comprehensive software we can find. There's a button and an option for everything you could imagine. If only it worked properly...

Integrated parts ordering

Raakesh

An Awesome Shop Management Program

The Support team at RO Writer are awesome. CSR respond to all our issues in a prompt manner. The Level 1 and 2 support staff can fix any issues we have in the same day. It happens on all software packages these days.

Pros

What we like about RO Writer is the ease of use and the ability to navigate through the Software. It is very user friendly even for new users. The Accounting side of RO Writer is a must for shops looking to increase their profitability, knowing where the Margins are is very important. Our CPA recommends it also as it is very powerful in that feature. The Support team is awesome.

Cons

Speed issues, but we are on an older version and soon moving to the newer 2.3 version. Sometimes the older version will run sluggish but our database has grown leaps and bounds over the last few years.

BAD TECH SUPPORT

Pros

Good, but uninspired program. Decently easy to learn. Does everything we need it to. Better than paper system we had previously.

Cons

Tech support. There are other issues, but the tech support is very bad. Don't get me wrong. The tech support isn't so completely horrible that you will be forced to switch to a different program. It's just good enough that you will probably stay using their program because you don't want to go through with retraining your technofeeb employees on a new system. Let me elaborate on how bad they are: No online knowledgebase. No user forum No email blasts on known issues occurring Calls to tech support have approximately 20% chance of being kicked out of the queue and hung up on because nobody picked up the phone after 5 minutes of waiting. Calls to tech support have a >25% chance of not returning your call. Yes, I really am saying they sometimes do not call me back. Frequency of failure does increase as the severity of the problem decreases. In other words, they've always called me back on critical issues. But on very minor issues, they've failed as much as half the time to call me back. Calls to tech support rarely reach someone who can fix your problem. They almost always have to call you back. Tech support consistently and repeatedly fails to return your system environment back to it's original configuration after remotely logging in. For example: regedit is often left running and UAC is never turned back on before they log out of your system. The second worst problem is lack of user input. There are several areas in the program that work...but require many extra steps that could be reduced with minor coding additions.

Great program to organize repair orders for Auto Business

Helpful in organizing all aspects of automotive database.

Pros

Easy to input information into the system. Keeps customer database and inventory organized. Easy to check customer's history on vehicles

Cons

RO Writer is not always easy to navigate. It took some time to learn. Sometimes has glitches, however Customer Service is available to assist.

Darryl

Long time user, early adopter - I'm out.

When we first bought in RO Writer in 2009 was among the best available. Had many features other software didn't address. At first the company was actively interested in feedback and improvements. As time and versions went by no changes or improvements were made. As updates rolled out, critical faults were repaired, but we noticed a slow loss of screen handling ability. With version 2.0, we lost significant mouse functionality in critical screens, and many useful features regarding inventory handling were eliminated. Version 2.0 is a significant downgrade. This is not an isolated incident as a scan of reviews and forums will support our experiences.

Pros

Integrates with 3rd party software. Basic point of sale functionality. With a paid Pro support subscription response is fairly quick, Tier 1 personel are fairly knowledgeable.

Cons

Screen handling, Window sizing, and placement, Field Navigation. Inventory control process. Loss of automated backup processes. Tier 2/3, and programming support ineffective when they respond. Improvements promised but never delivered. Follow-up non-existant.

Response from Scott

We are sorry you have had that experience with RO Writer. AMS is no longer a reseller for RO Writer and now support Protractor, a cloud-based system.

Replied March 2018

GENE

Ransomware Killed Me

Thank You R O WRITER for working hard to get us going and doing a GREAT JOB.

Pros

I thought I lost everything on a Friday afternoon. Went out and bought a New Server and one Workstation. Called R O Writer and was up and running on Monday, without losing anything except one day of work. Found out by R O WRITER, after software was installed that the Backup that CARFAX does every night had all of the DATA I needed to get back up and running. I thought that weekend I wad Dead in The Water.

Cons

Not being able to set software to back up Automatically. Other than not having this on my version of R O WRITER, I believe it is a Great Software for Vehicle repair.

J.T.

Excellent Shop Mansgement Software

Pros

We have been using ROWriter software for over 18 years. We currently have 10 shops and a central office using the software. The software is easy to use and to train employees on. It is a real asset to our shops. We also like the recent tablet extension to make ROWriter mobile in our shops. With all of the features available in ROWriter, this is the best shop management software you can buy. Support has also been really good over the years.

Cons

Would like to see more detail in the Central History between shops like parts supplier and parts invoice numbers.

Al

Welcome to the 21st Century, with R O Writer

The fast R O Writer make my shop, the happier I am. Keep improving, please.

Pros

Been a customer with two locations since 1999. This program is the back bone to my biz. You guys have made some major changes to your new 2.0 update and R O Touch. It fells like the Giant has awoken. Good job. Love your team of professionals. AC is a Rock Star! The support staff "gets it done" Another satisfied customer.

Cons

Follow up when calling in and leaving messages in timely order could use improvement. It's tough to have to call you back to find out when someone will fix problem.

Larry

RO Writer seen its beter days

It brought me to a new level of business understanding, I have simply out grown this program

Pros

It worked great for years, definately contributed to the growth of my biusiness. Once you use it it has some good logic and flow. It was a definate improvement over what i came from.

Cons

SUIPPORT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT, to much down time waiting on support. when there is a windows update it kills your license, not everytime and not on every computer. Database corruption wore us out. Spent thousands of dollars in hardware improvement only to find out it was a software issue.

Aaron

Long Time RO Writer User

The seem to have much better Regional, Field and Phone Support. That is a huge help. ---Thank you

Pros

It is user friendly. and has great support. Our Regional and Field Manager has taken the time to make sure that we are aware of all the new features that RO Writer has to offer. We have stayed with RO Writer through thick and thin and very happy that we did. They are adding some really neat features that are taking our shops to new levels.

Cons

No cons at this time, they seem to be handling any issues that I have had in years past.

Shawn

Ro writer covers all your needs

I have used it for 5 years in both of my shops. As an owner I have the data I need even if I'm not at the shop. It has streamlined our flow 10 fold. Love it. Highly recommend it.

Pros

Reports are plentiful, repair orders are easy to read, ease of use, and has more than you will use for a shop. Easy to open and process repair orders. Ro touch is the bomb. Awesome product

Cons

Theres a lot of stuff to use. But sometimes it just takes time to decide wHt u need to use cor your situation to run your shop profitable and productive

William

Great in 1999

RO Writer is a large improvement over using just paper, but does not measure up to newer platforms and cloud based systems.

Pros

The best feature about RO Writer is Smart E-Cat. This is an add on feature, but does more to drag this archaic platform into this century than anything else. That said RO Writer functions as a great shop management system in 1999.

Cons

While the program functions it does everything VERY slow. There is also very little customization for most operations.

Mickey

User friendly program!! Long time user of RO Writer

My sales and support reps are great and are ready to offer any advice or guidance needed to continue to improve our experience with RO Writer.

Pros

Very user friendly and great customer support- New user can use this software almost immediately without too many obstacles. Great and almost seamless integration to QuickBooks!!!!!

Cons

Some of the more technical parts of the program are not as easy to navigate through but with research through online help and training, etc. -It is a great program for any repair shop.

Al

its been the best software we have used

i think its getting better every day. I think its still the best point of sale software out there. I dont think there is the perfect system.

Pros

easy estimating at All three of our locations. I really like the new updates with the new version. Another thing i like is the the new smart status on ro touch.

Cons

it locks up at times, and i"m sure its probably something we did wrong along the way. The system gets better every day. I think this system is going to be awesome, once all the bugs are worked out.

BRYANT

THE BEST SOFTWARE EVER!

TIME IS MONEY AND MONEY IS TIME! IF YOU WANT THE TWO WORKING TOGETHER GO WITH R.O. WRITER.

Pros

MOST EFFICIENT AND EASY TO USE. EASY ACCESS TO ALL APPLICATIONS ON THIS SOFTWARE FROM CREDIT CARD MACHINE TO QUICK BOOK FINANCES , PROFIT AND LOSS STATEMENTS , CAR FAXES, ALL LINES TO PART SUPPLIERS TO DEALERSHIPS.

Cons

LITTLE PRICEY FOR SMALL SHOPS BUT STILL WORTH THE VALUE. COULD BE FASTER SERVICE ON RETURN CALLS BUT THE PEOPLE THAT HANDLE THE CALLS ARE VERY EFFICIENT.

Joe

Excellent & professional!

From the sales rep Stan helping me out multiple times from one business to another and A.C. Moore being very active in making sure I was taken care of . Two thumbs up and will recommend this to any other shop

Pros

User friendly I can almost do anything from selling parts or looking at my inventory this is a go to for any shop

Cons

Needs more advertising for sure this will get better in time I’m sure . As for the accounting this isn’t very user friendly even after the training

Jo

Efficient & effective automotive repair software

Pros

I like the speed with which I am able to determine availability for products and create repair order estimates. Find quite accurate.

Cons

At times will ask questions like 4wd vs 2wd, automatic vs standard shift but then will display both options on parts screen even after I have narrowed down the search. I dislike that you have to get out of an estimate for any other work in rowriter- example I am estimating brakes on customers vehicle when receive call from another customer for an appointment- have to exit estimate in order to set appointment in scheduler- I am constantly having to go back into or restart estimates. Also would like to be able to look at part pictures from the ro once on a ticket- with current system have to go back into smart jobs if I would like to reference picture again.

Steve

Exactly the way I Imagined it could be.

This software is great, gone are the days of stacks of papers, and techs not knowing what to do next.

Pros

RO Writer is the ideal way to manage your shop. Seamlessly integrates with VirtualVehicle, and Quickbooks.

Cons

There are a lot of moving parts of this software, and its a little hard to learn but when you get the proper training from the RO Writer Team, its incredibly powerful.

Dot

Very helpful

Very easy system to use. When you call rep she take care of you and gives you to the right people to call.

Pros

I really like using RO writer. It is very user friendly. I would recommend this system to customers and family and friends.

Cons

The only thing I have a con is with inventory. The reports for inventory does not work since the RO has been updated. It dup. parts number on reports.

Best Automotive repair shop software, Hands down.

Super fast and easy to build RO's and estimates. Lots of good reports. Would recommend to everyone in the Automotive repair field.

Pros

1. Super easy to use. 2. Accounting link is the best. 3. Takes two minutes to build an estimate. 4. My sales rep is awesome [AC Chauhan]

Cons

None at this time. RO Writer ROCKS. Have had two other software companies, None compares to RO Writer.

R.O.Writer