Browse Altaro VM Backup Reviews

Praneel from Vinod Patel

Altaro VM

Pros

The ease of using and GUI is so user friendly that a person with minimum knowledge can easily deploy and use it.

Cons

To be honest I, dont see any see any thing as such. Since the team is contiuously working on developing some create features.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

As i said ease of use and price point

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

The ease of use and teh price point.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied October 2021

Thanks so much for your feedback. We appreciate it!

Si from Sycom

Industry: Computer Networking

It really does what it says on the Tin!

The whole experience wrapped up is just - Good!! We had a situation causing us to move away from another backup vendor due to issues (not being able to depend on a backup to simply do its job causes sleepless nights after a while). We installed Altaro VM Backup, configured it - all in 15 minutes, including set-up of the email alerts and left it for the evening. Next day - Emails are usually our first encounter as to what occurred overnight - They were all Green! Seriously - a big wow from us! 7 Virtual Machines all backed up successfully and in a time window that seriously made me look twice. The compression and the speed of backups - wow!

Pros

I have a few things I like - but the most nicest thing: The user interface on Altaro product always seems so simple, and logical. Being in IT support, I dread those times when it takes 20 minutes to work out the GUI or interface to try and restore a file or check a backup log.

Cons

OK - Not being funny - I'll have to come back to this question, because I struggle to think of something I really don't like right now.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

The decision really came down to being able to install and trial Altaro software at that moment. No sales calls, no hassles, just download and go! It was so easy to do this at 21:00hrs in the evening, and to find in the morning - everything worked - Decision was then made. Naturally, we checked features and other "stuff" techs need to check - but all in all - this product rocks others in many ways.

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

1) Fed up with the amount of time spent on support work 2) The Interface was not lets say "the easiest to use" 3) from memory I think the renewal costs were just ramping up.

Ricardo from Webcenter

Poor Support and issues with disk space

We use Altaro to backup our hosts with hundreds of VMs. We are now migrating to a different plataform, due to the lack of support to ReFS and the other limitations stated above.

Pros

Easy of use. It take some time to learn the software schema, but after that, it is very easy to use on the day to day experience.

Cons

Support is almos informal. There is a ticket number, but the follow up is poor. Chat is almost always offline. About disk space, the backups keep groing indefenitely, even if the VM has not much updates. The optimization tool to recover space does not work properly, takes too long to execute, while it runs, it blocks ALL backups funcionality and at the end there is almost no space freed. There is no limit for backup space per VM or per storage. You need to always keep following up the disk usage. There is no support for ReFS, what is a shame for a software that runs on Windows Servers and ReFS has been around for a while already.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

We are sorry that your experience with our support team has not met our usual high standards. Our support team prides itself on the great feedback it receives from customers, so feedback like this really does stand out. We answer support calls within 22 seconds on average and follow up email tickets within 2 hours on average. Our customers have the option to use chat or phone for quicker responses, our chat is online 24 hours a day. Do email support@altaro.com with more information about when you were dissatisfied, and we'll be glad to investigate further. Your backup repository will grow only if the VM has new data - our deduplication and CBT make sure of that. Re the optimization tool, we are working on a better backup format that uses the freed-up space more efficiently. We're sharing your feedback about no limit for backup space as a feature request - thanks. Our recently launched `Mount Virtual Disk' option allows users to grab their backed up files from ReFS partitions.

Bünyamin from Röder GmbH

Industry: Civil Engineering

Altaro - Best Choice for me

Pros

very easy to use. Nice Dashboard with a lot of first sight information.

Cons

German Language! Not everyone can understand it.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

Veeam was too expensive for use and our IT is not so big to use Veeam. We didn`t need a big-Size product.

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

It was a selection from my Department.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied November 2020

Many thanks indeed for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We have taken note of your request to have a version of the product in German, but cannot make any commitments about this at this point.

Ashwin from Northfields International School

Highly recommended software

Pros

We chose Altaro as it met all our requirements as a VM Backup and Recovery software at a cheaper cost than other common VM Backup and Recovery software. The system is very easy to use and did not require any training to implement. The Sandbox & Verification is a big plus to test backups and to do test drills. We rarely had issues with the software and the minor issues we had were promptly addressed by support.

Cons

Though it provides the possibility to backup a VM to cloud providers, it does not offer the possibility to run the VM from the cloud as a DR site. However I understood that this feature is being implemented and coming soon which will be a great addition.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

Altaro was cheaper and it fully met our requirements.

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

The previous software was an open source product which was not meeting our requirements of a proper backup and VM recovery system.

Florian from van Dijck GmbH

Great Backup software which is reliable and very easy to use

I am really happy about the software. A friend told us about it because he uses Altaro Backup in his company. He is their IT consultant. The software is easy to set up and really reliable. Luckily I did not need to restore a backup yet, only a few files I had to restore so far. However, because of the sandbox test verification feature, I feel safe that all backups can be restored.

Pros

I like most about the software that it was so easy to be implemented. It really took only a few minutes to set up the system. Now since the new feature offers multiple offsite servers I feel even safer with my backups.

Cons

Actually, I do not have anything I can complain about. There is only one thing I am missing and that is IPV6 support for OffSite Server. I do have at home only IPV6 available but I cannot connect the offsite server to Altarao Backup.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

Because of the price and a friend recommended Altrao. So I have tried it and was very happy with it.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied November 2020

Thank you for your review -- we greatly appreciate your feedback. We've taken note of your feature request relating to IPV6 support.

Grzegorz from Volvo Trucks Poland

Industry: Industrial Automation

Altaro Backup is the Best

I had occasion testing software other companies. But finally I chose Altaro. I can manage my VM's in easy way etc.

Pros

For me this software is very friendly to use. Menu is very transaprent and easy . In easy way I can check all backups and set schedulers for new VM's. I have possibility set backup to more places then 2.

Cons

Earlier version had function ( button ) on main menu as "free clean space". I used it very often when I wanted to free up space on disks with old backups . But generally I cannot say negative words about altaro.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

I chose Altaro because for me it was the best software.

Tom from CCL Forensics Ltd

Fantastic Solution

Pros

I find Altaro VM Backup to be very reliable and we have never experienced any issues restoring backups. The software works as good as close competitors that charge double the price.

Cons

Would be good to have an option to backup directly to the cloud instead of an on-Prem server. Other than that, works great for our business needs.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

Met all the requirements and slightly cheaper

Response from Altaro Software

Replied December 2020

Thank you for your review! We are glad Altaro VM Backup is of value to you and we have noted your sugggestion as a feature request.

Jarret from Technics Dental Laboratory

Set it and forget it

I backup 1 host with 5 virtual machines on it nightly.

Pros

I like that it runs my backups nightly and only notifies me when there has been an issue.

Cons

For a novice with virtual machines like myself, it can be a bit overwhelming initially. I know it is designed with people with far more expertise than myself in mind.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

Cost, reliability, recommendation by a colleague

Pim from Duncker & Munnikhuis

Easy to use backup software!

We solved a lot of issues regarding to serers being down. We mount the VM in another Hyper-V environment and the customer is ready to work again in minutes. While we restore the complete work-environment from the cloud.

Pros

- File granular restore - Restore from mounted VM - Offsite copies external device - Offsite copies in the cloud - Replication

Cons

Sometimes the UI speed is somewhat slow. When restoring on file level, the selection of the disks goes somewhat slow.

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

Acronis is unreliable in the sense that a lot of backups fail unnoticed.

Charles from Ionic Automation

Industry: Machinery

Pretty good backup product with nice user-friendly GUI

I do enjoy the product and wish it had a proper DR model. What I mean by that is, the means to bring up or restore an environment is a very timely fashion on multiple segmented networks if necessary. This is Disaster Recovery and seems to be a problem for Altaro to figure out. As a side note, offsite backup locations can be LAN, Cloud but not tape media should ppl be using older LTO drives.

Pros

It is relatively easy to restore my Hyper-V servers, granular recovery takes some time but overall, I am pretty happy with this suite at my org

Cons

Altaro has a replication model that doesn't work well for DR. If you have subnet a and subnet b both segmented and seperated by WAN VPN, do not expect this to be a viable DR solution. YES, it does allow you to restore from VM (boot from VM) in the second backed-up subnet, but if that subnet is different to the VMs original subnet, those machines will not talk. Networking 101. There needs to be a mechanism to restore VMs in a DR site predictably and immediately without this limitation. I think I read that Altaro is introducing a functionality change for DR in the coming release that addresses this and I have enquired as to specs. Right now, my option is to backup to my local NAS, commit a second backup to segment 2 NAS for resiliency and incase of fire or disaster and recover. Slow venture but at least there is copies offsite and available. Customer service experience has ranged from friendly to cocky responses - and they like to throw KB articles at you instead of taking the time to explain what and why's (like every novice user must know the product as good as they know it)

Response from Altaro Software

Replied October 2020

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. Although we have no ETA as yet, DRaaS is on our roadmap.

shlomo from IN-COM Data Systems

Why we moved from a competing software to Altaro backup software.

While we are a smallish company, we have a pretty large virtual environment, mostly for development and testing purposes. We currently house about 80 VMs and have at our disposal about 60 TB of disk space. We were unhappy with our current backup software and started looking for alternatives. Altaro was chosen as the replacement software primarily due to their exemplary support services, fair pricing structure and a rich set of features and functions. As a software company ourselves, we are very aware and sensitive to the level of support that comes with purchasing a software. Altaro offer 24/7 technical support, and they are very good at resolving issues and answering questions.

Pros

Extremely easy to install, configure and get running. Within 15 minutes, all the Hyper-V hosts and the VMs were recognized and ready for backup. A non-experienced junior employee can get the product up and running. User GUI is very clean, clear and intuitive. We managed to perform all the tasks without reading any instructions. Altaro is fast, very fast. The first time we performed a full backup, there was concern that it completed too soon, and that the backups were not usable. But we restored to a test drive and they all checked out. The incremental backups with deduplication are even faster, taking only a minute or so per VM. The Deduplication compression is very good. We are currently looking at over 80% savings of space. The price is right. They have a very fair pricing structure for both licenses and support services and offer discounts and incentives when needed. Offsite backup feature easy to implement. Using their offsite server setup file, any computer within the intranet/internet can become an offsite backup location. Consistently improving their offerings. With every new release of the software, clients are introduced to new features and functions, many of which have come from the clients themselves. They listen to the client’s feedback. Exemplary support services. One of the few companies that offer 24/7 support staffed with senior technical resources. We have always been able to receive support and assistance almost instantly.

Cons

Too sensitive with error codes from storage devices. In cases that other products complete the backup and restore, Altaro fails due to minor errors reported from storage devices. I wish they would complete the backup and just add a warning that there was an error code reported. Using a new storage device resolved the issues in our case. No support for defining many backup JOBS. You can only define one primary and one offsite backup source, and each VM can only belong to these 2 sources. It would be nice to be able to backup a VM multiple times, to multiple primary sources, each source with different location and retention policy. This can be achieved only by a many to many relationship between VMS and Primary/Offsite sources. I was told this may be coming out in the next release.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied August 2019

Thanks for reviewing Altaro VM Backup - we really appreciate it. We confirm that the support you require for backup jobs will become available in v8.5 of the solution, scheduled to be released later this year.

Dale from ACM Computers

Altaro VM Backup

We have reduced the average time of recovery for a failed server. Clients appreciate that we can recover their business servers within a few hours instead of a few days. We have been using Altaro VM Backup since v. 4 I think. I was impressed with the early version and have specified Altaro VM Backup as our standard for Virtual Machine environments. The addition of the Cloud Management Console and integration with ConnectWise is a big plus.

Pros

Setup and configuration is fairly quick. Restore options allow for a granular file level from a VM image backup. Ability to restore to different host. Ability to copy an Offsite backup to remote location. Support for Cloud storage sites for off site backup storage. Speed of recovery time on a failed host. Able to restore a VM to new host within a couple hours. Compression and de-duplication saves storage space on backup media. Product support is excellent. Usually able to solve errors within the Support Chat. Support is always ready to answer even the simplest question to help us out.

Cons

The local management console is not password protected. Limited explanation of error messages in the software. Setting up network connections to NAS storage can sometimes fail with cryptic error message.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied February 2019

Thank you for reviewing Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate it! We do understand where you are coming from here, however, efforts should be made to tighten the OS security layers in this case. If a hacker gains admin access to the server, this means that they have access to the backup data with or without the Altaro console. We agree that having restricted access to the console would be a great feature; in fact, we have discussed having granular access for different users but we cannot offer an ETA for this just yet. Currently, our primary recommendation here is to strengthen password policies for accounts that have server logon access, and restrict access through the OS layer itself.

Petr from DeCe COMPUTERS s.r.o.

Best backup tool for that amount of money

I use altaro backup for few years now, started with the free licenses for 2VM environments and with every new version there is bunch of new features (like CDP, replication for example).

Pros

The biggest reason for use of Altaro VM Backup is the price. For reasonable money you can get full package of virtual machine backup tools. Now it is even cheaper (for small environment with 2-3 virtual machines) with Altaro MSP program, for like 5 bucks a month per VM you get unlimited plus license - such a great deal!

Cons

The only cons in some cases is no option for Hyper-V host backup. I know, it is necessary in like 3% of cases, but still, if you are part of the 3%, you have no chance with Altaro and you have to use another app for host backup. I was a bit disappointed with new limitations of free license - no retention policy available, no immediate backup notification to email in V8. But anyway - you can now always jump to MSP program for really small money.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Thanks for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We actually do have plans to release a backup solution for physical servers, which will give the option to restore that physical server to a VM. That said, it will not handle hypervisors, the Hyper-V Host should not have anything aside from VMs running on it, so normally a one-off or periodic backup using Windows Server Backup should be enough to cover your needs, as the data that is changing is inside the VMs themselves, which Altaro VM Backup is backing up regularly. We have a more detailed blog article about this here if you're interested in further reading: http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-backup-strategies-dont-worry-management-os/

Posh from ALG

Industry: Wholesale

Easy to use and it works

We are very happy with Altaro as our backup solution. We have been using Altaro over 2 years on all our hosts. Pricing is far better compared to other similar backup solutions in the market.

Pros

We are a medium-size organization with Altaro installed on 6 hyper-v hosts. Experience has been great with Altaro when it comes to backups of all our VMs and restoring data/files. Very easy setup and administration even a nontechie can get this set up in less than 15 minutes. GUI is very intuitive and gives you all the information required. Cloud management console makes it easier to manage and receive alerts from anywhere. Support is great and always very helpful in resolving issues promptly. 5 stars!!

Cons

Little sensitive to storage device errors. However, nothing to concern about as it usually gives you plenty of information to troubleshoot the issue. Support is great from Altaro in resolving them quickly and efficiently.

Cost

Giuseppe from Information Technology & Services

Altaro VM Backup SMB review

This product has allowed us to implement local and offsite backups of our virtual machines (2) at a reasonable price. We often use the offsite backup to restore our VMs to a test server for testing of new application software upgrades and feature. This product has proved to be very useful for us.

Pros

As we are an SMB, this software has simplified the process of backing up our two Hyper-V Virtual Machines. It has also allowed us to copy the local backups to a private offsite server nightly for Disaster Recovery purposes.

Cons

Initially the Offsite Copy option would frequently fail due to communications problems between our main and remote backup servers. Since version 8.0 of this product we are no longer having this problem.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

Lower price and ease of installation and management.

Dirk from Filebank IT

Altaro Backup - The Only Way to Go

We are a small IT services company and we use it to backup all of our clients servers. It has come to the rescue on several occasions. From a "borked" Windows server upgrade to an partially encrypted server we have been able to restore the clients server/data with little or no loss of data. It makes us look like heroes. We have tried other solutions and none give us the all the features that Altaro has at a reasonable cost.

Pros

- the ability to boot from backup is a life saver. On more that one occasion we have had to boot from backup after the clients onsite IT accidently "borked" their SQL server. With boot from backup the client was able to continue working while the software completed the restore of the VM in the background. - offsite backup allows us to store the nightly backups from our clients at on offsite location, with this feature we no longer have to pickup and return drives on a daily basis to our client locations. Not only do we save time, but we are able to charge for the service and save our clients money on the costs of a daily hard drive rotation.

Cons

- trivial, but it would save a step if when upgrading the software it would uninstall the old software for you. Currently you have to remember to manually uninstall it first then install the new release

Andy from Arinsdale Limited

Industry: Textiles

Simple to Implement and Use

Luckily, we've not had any major incidents and haven't had to perform a bare metal restore for real, but we've never had a failure on our 3 monthly practice runs, regardless of whether we've used local or offsite backups, so as far as I'm concerned it's the best backup software I've every used in the last 30 years.

Pros

The software is simple to install, configure and use. Possibly more importantly it's really easy to test the backups as you can restore them in a sandbox environment.

Cons

The user interface can be a bit slow and unresponsive at times especially when using the file granular restore. I know a 2 or 3 second wait for a list of files isn't bad, it's just that I've no patience. Other than that my biggest gripe is that you can no longer buy the software or SMA's direct from Altaro in the UK.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

It was one of the few VM backup solutions available for a Hyper-V environment that was suitable for use in a small company with 1 x host & 6 x VM's. It lacked the complexity of the other solutions and the free trial convinced me that it was fit for purpose and would enable a rapid recovery in the event of a system failure.

Steve from Savance, LLC

Excellent Set-it-and-forget-it Software

We are really happy with the software. We've resold and recommended it to a few customers of ours. We've been using it ourselves for years. It's by far the best backup software we've used. We love how we set it up and then it just works like clockwork. I wish there was some way it could set up a method to alert you from the cloud ONLY when it was supposed to backup but didn't for whatever reason. We keep the failures and success e-mails coming in because we need to try to cross reference to make sure certain backups were a success and that it didn't just go offline, or the e-mail alert stopped working - and the backup stopped working. I also wish it could monitor the hardware as well...so it could tie into DellAlert and send that to the cloud...so it could be a total backup and monitoring solution for us. For now though, it does the primary job of efficiently backing up everything.

Pros

Reliable, Easy to set up, and Efficient. We also love how it dedups data and how it can alert you when a backup fails.

Cons

I did not like how the upgrade required us to create all the backups all over again requiring us double the storage space. That requires some juggling. But after a few successful upgrades, we cleaned house and had it back to normal.

Chris from GooseWorks

Industry: Computer Networking

Back up you can trust

Altaro products are terrific products that do their job. I have used their backup for a long time and it has work without fail for me. It has saved my but more than once. I have had hard drive fails and encryption virus that it has saved me from. It is well worth it.

Pros

This software is one you can set and forget and it does its thing without fail.

Cons

Its not let me down yet. It took me a bit to get the interface, but it wasn't terrible. I am bad about not following directions though.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

I like the interface and great pricing

Steve from Rotella's Italian Bakery

Industry: Food Production

Great VM Backup Software

We are backing up Hyper-V and VMWare VMs and the overall experience has been fantastic. We had virtual Exchange Servers that needed individual message restores, and this software was able to handle granular restores as well as the entire VM backup. Love this product!!

Pros

The ability to back up both Hyper-V and VMWare VMs under one application, with options for scheduled offsite backups and the option to run scheduled tests for past backups.

Cons

Sometimes the error messages can be hard to decipher, although I did not take care of the available support options.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Thanks for your review of Altaro VM Backup. Indeed we are working on more detailed error messaging, and we are putting efforts into publishing additional KB articles which error messages can link to in order to provide a `next step¿ for each error scenario. However this is not always possible and sometimes we simply do need to look into further logging to provide further recommendations and solutions -- and in those cases you will of course find our team ready to help, quickly!

Christian from CS IT Consulting & Service

Industry: Computer Hardware

Review from Germany

Altaro is ideal for small enviroments with HYPERV ONLY. If customers growth, or if you need integration into Vendor Driven Storage Arrays you will have to look for other products.

Pros

I install Altaro in HYPERV Only enviroments. In general it works fine. I am a reseller since 8 Years and run Altaro on various sites. Installation is very easy and you will get good results.

Cons

The easyness has issues in bigger enviroments. One of my customers is running 6 Clusters and aprox 10 standalone hyperv hosts. I would like to have a better reporting tool to plan the jobs. Reporting is poor in general. Ex. Time for backup in real live is much longer than shown, depending on weh the stop watch is started. Altaro Seems to measure the time after a succesfull snapshot, saving the data. Lots of other features (includung LOG Mainentance is promised for years).

Price Pointand Easy use.

Norbert from SCISYS Media Solutions

Industry: Broadcast Media

Affordable and easy to use backup solution with outstanding performance and stellar support!

So far Altaro has helped us to perfectly protect our large growing VM population (500+ VMs) with ease. The overall performance is more than impressing and the deduplication/compression is outstanding. Last but not least the fair pricing and the simplicity of the licensing model is very much appreciated.

Pros

Ease of setup and handling Nicely streamlined workflow and appearance Perfectly supporting Hyper-V clusters Backup speed Compression effiency (extremely good compression (around 80%) with ultra-low cpu footprint Stellar support!

Cons

Major version updates often introduce not only new features (...), however so far the support team was always able to help out quickly. Some optimizations could be made to ease the management of large VM populations (500+) Default settings should be customizable throughout (e.g. Schedules, Retention Policies)

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Thank you for you reviewing Altaro VM Backup. We'll add your vote to this feature request - thanks!

Stefan from DATA STUDIO Network Solutions - Gsellmann & Ebenhoch OG

Fantastic Piece of Software

We are using altaro on every customer site with different storages (QNAP, Synology, Windows Servers) and never had any serious problems. Offsite directly to Azure works like a charm! The guys and girls from the support team are lightning fast with response and can help you in minutes. We love it!

Pros

Super easy to setup! super easy to use! rock solid software with outstanding support. This is by far one of the best backup&recovery products since years.

Cons

I tried my best to find something to dislike but we've never had any serious problems or flaws with the software.

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

Acronis and Hyper-V didnt work very well when we started to move from physical to virtual servers years ago. We found Altaro Hyper-V Backup (i think it was Version 3) and never looked back. Tested Veeam for Customers but didnt like it.

Sandesh from Parekh Group

Altaro made Backup easy and life easier

This is Best and Overoll backup solution for organization having limited capex on backup.

Pros

very easy to operate and most simpler of restoration. day by day its improving smartly

Cons

1. Support timings limitation as per Indian time . if we need some urgent support, need to wait till 3.00 PM IST.

Reasons for Choosing Altaro VM Backup

Tested both trials on demo ..

Ryan from HCB Business Services Ltd

Easy to use out the box!

The sandbox functionality is fantastic. Really helped with troubleshooting a corrupt VM. The in-app support has always rectified any issues within 30 minutes, which is far better than any SLA based support from other third parties. Extremely cost effective - was even able to trial with 2 licenses indefinitely to ensure the backup was bomb proof. Once we saw how reliable Altaro was, we purchased immediately.

Pros

Straight forward step-by-step design. In-app software chat support. Frequent QoL improvements. Quick and easy implementation. Hassle-free, worry free backup.

Cons

The software is so good for VM's that we wish it had hardware functionality. It'd easily compete with major vendors like Symantec for physical backup.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Many thanks for your review -- We actually do have plans to release a backup solution for physical servers later this year, which will give the option to restore that physical server to a VM. We will keep you posted!

Alan from John Morris Scientific

Industry: Research

Backup bang for buck

I've been using it for over five years to back up my virtual machines. It's a great product and I only wish I could back up my branch domain controllers with it. It's never let me down.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to setup Regular updates Ability to replicate entire servers to Hyper-V host in hot site Very space efficient Exchange mailbox item level restore Competent support Priced competitively

Cons

Doesn't do physical machines: if it did physical machines to tape libraries as well as disk I'd use nothing else for backup Support doesn't cover all time zones: there's sometimes a delay in getting assistance

Response from Altaro Software

Replied February 2019

Thanks ever so for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate it. I wanted you to know that we will soon be providing backup of physical machines and will notify our customers and followers about this in due course. We're also now starting to provide 24/7 support.

Joseph from WoodTrust Bank

Altaro is a fantastic product at a reasonable cost and does just what we want in a solution.

The any issues we have with our backups using this solution are almost always a problem with Microsoft shadow copy or something similar interfering with Altaro. Everything else is golden.

Pros

The speed of backups and compression/de-duping are phenomenal and the features available are fantastic. I love being able to send my backups to an offsite location and not having to worry about data volume, and I love being able to pull files at will, and spin up backed up clones to test for or locate issues. I've also come accustom to great new features being developed for nearly every new release.

Cons

-having to start the backup chain over again between version upgrades -having to rely on Microsoft's shadow copy, which fails every now and then

Steve from TN Bankers Assoc

Solid product for backing up Hyper-V VMs

The software is constantly being updated, which is good to see. It is solid and robust. I have had several events where I needed to restore individual files or emails, and it has worked perfectly. I also had one server that hard-crashed during a Microsoft update. Restoring the system was fairly quick.

Pros

The software can be setup and automated in a set-and-forget method. I have it email me status reports so I know if there's an issue. It just works.

Cons

When you first open the UI, there is a slight delay while it checks for your license status. If you try to do certain functions prior to the software confirming you are licensed, you will be notified you're running an unlicensed version - minor heart-attack the first time that happened! Now I just wait a few seconds.

ANTONIO from MINAS DE BARQUEIROS, S.A.

Industry: Mining & Metals

VERY HAPPY WITH THIS BUY

We are using it in a offsite backup system recommended by our it supplier NEWLIME CONCULTING

Pros

It's very reliable and easy to deploy and use.

Cons

I cant remember any downturn to this cool backup software.

Mohamed from Koudijs Kapo Feed

Industry: Machinery

review by ICT Manager and Altaro administrator

Pros

1-ease of use 2-stability 3-support performance and respond

Cons

integration with other apps support of one drive as backup destination

cost & stability

Aaron from S3 Solutions, LLC

The best VM backup

Pros

We have been using Altaro VM backup for about 4 years now and our experience has been exemplary. The compression and deduplication feature is phenomenal, I never imagined I would be able to keep 3+ weeks history retention and still have my backups take up less space than my VMs themselves. The offsite server is also a huge bonus, absolutely free, just pay 3rd-party hosting and storage fees and put the server wherever you like. Their support is top-notch.

Cons

Cost can get a little high if you have a lot of hosts, but still worth it and still less than most other options

Patrik from Industriinformation Sverige AB

Industry: Animation

Altaro review: small business, 2-4 hosts

Very good. Have been able to restore objects very easily when needed.

Pros

Stability and high amount of good features.

Cons

Hard to diagnose errors as an end user. However, the support is easy to reach via chat at most office hours.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Thank you for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We are working on more detailed error messaging, and we are putting efforts into publishing additional KB articles which error messages can link to so as to provide a `next step¿ for each error scenario. However this is not always possible and sometimes we simply do need to look into further logging to provide further recommendations and solutions -- in those cases you will of course find our team ready to help, quickly!

Alexandre from Quebecom

Great and reliable backups so I am happy with the product.

Peace of mind that my backups and my client's backups are well executed.

Pros

Ease of use of the product, it is not a problem to use it for the first time and figure it out by yourself. Quick and reliable backup Possible to backup locally and externally. Quick support team.

Cons

Limited database and active directory recovery fonctionnality. There is not version of the product that can be used for a physical machine to back it up completely.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied July 2018

Thanks for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate your feedback. We are working on backup for physical servers and look forward to rolling that version out shortly.

Russ from Jay's Sporting Goods

Integral part of our Data Protect Program

Meets our business needs perfectly. Highly recommend..

Pros

We use a layered approach to both Security and Data. Using a Hyper-v environment we have all our assets immediately available through an emergency Hyper-V replica server. Both the main and replica get backed up regularly using Altaro Backup. That is THREE extra levels of protection! Now the LATEST BEST edition they can give a FIFTH layer of another Replica Hyper-V/Altero Backup Server!

Cons

Licensing is a little bit of a pain point, no the cost, just how to maintain licenses.

Blue from Computer & Network Security

No better software for the money

From day one I found this so easy to use compared to other products. Right out of the gate it worked and did its job with no issues. When the time came to need it to save me it did not fail. You will not find a better product for such a good price point.

Pros

From day one this software just gets better and more features added for a great price point. It is easy to use and reliable. When an issue does happen support is a great help and it too just gets better over time as this software and company have evolved.

Cons

I have none this does everything I need it to and more.

Simon from Robsons

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Reliable & Robust

We've been using Altaro for 3 years now and it has been very reliable so far. Support is first class. When I had a problem with it not backing up because of an mistake i made with my Virtual Host, they would have been within their rights to pass this back to me. but their tech support spent the best part of half a day remotely helping me getting that resolved. I'll always be grateful for that.

Pros

It Runs Reliably & Is very easy to use. With very few failures. You get Notified immediately if there.

Cons

The Only Small complaint is that the licencing section isn't always clear and easy to understand.

Eugen from stürm IT

Industry: Computer Hardware

KMU Switzerland

Backing up VM's is essential in a hosting enviornment. You need to be able to go back were you have been before a problem occured.

Pros

The value it get for the price is very good with Altaro VM Backup. Restoring VM's is very simple and quite fast.

Cons

Offsite replication is not always working.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you ran into issues, our tech support team is ready to help and very easy to reach with a 30-second average response time! Please contact us (https://www.altaro.com/support.php) with details of your issue and we'd be more than happy to help you investigate further!

Fabian from Reng Industriesysteme GmbH

Affordable Business Class Backup Software

Pros

Functional Backup is set up in no time, there is basically no learning curve at all. All functions are pretty much self explanatory. It can be used by people without any IT background at all, therefore it is a great solution to implement at customer sites that have no own IT management.

Cons

Backup locations are limited, one main location, one offsite location, that's it. You sacrifice some options for ease of use.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Many thanks for your feedback. We will add your vote to this feature request!

Pambos from MonarchGroup Telecom

Industry: Maritime

Altaro VM Backup

My experience with Altaro VM Backup cannot be more than satisfied. A very strong application that can keep safe your VM Servers. Restore capabilities are also one of the best features since we able to use it in one situation we had. Offset its a strong feature to keep safe and secure your VM Backup Servers.

Pros

In Altaro VM Backup i like the features of backup that give you the application

Cons

Least? I don't think that i can find something that i like least from this application. From my experience working with it i can say that its very good application

Ian from Task Office Systems Ltd

Excellent Product - Easy to Use and Intuitive Interface

Pros

Ease of Use - The GUI Interface makes setting up Schedules and adding VMs to backup jobs a very straightforward process. Support is also very good and there is the option to phone and speak to a support tech or contact them directly via the interface through DM.

Cons

Backups of physical machines would be a nice feature as infrastructure can often comprise physical and virtual environments and it would be nice to be able to use a single product to backup the entire solution.

Daren from DEA Aviation

Great Software

Pros

It is easy to learn to use and the setup doesn't take forever

Cons

Wish the error logs were more descriptive

Response from Altaro Software

Replied March 2019

Thanks for reviewing Altaro VM Backup. Indeed we are working on more detailed error messaging, and we are putting efforts into publishing additional KB articles which error messages can link to in order to provide a `next step¿ for each error scenario. However this is not always possible and sometimes we simply do need to look into further logging to provide further recommendations and solutions -- and in those cases you will of course find our team ready to help, quickly!

Uri from Genpact Israel

Great backup solution for small or middle tier operations

Very good solution and very professional team to backup the solution, easy to use interface but it starts to be difficult to manage when amount of VM's is high or you are using multiple HyperV hosts

Pros

Friendly interface Easy to master Simple purchase and deployment Very professional support team

Cons

No feedback between different configuration screens, each VM have to be added manually to storage, backup plan, and retention policy Orchestration between multiple Hyper-V hosts is complicated and not full

Gregory from Adept Networks

Altaro exceeds our expectations

Altaro is a breath of fresh air for us as an MSP. It's reliable, integrates with our RMM and PSA, and easy to use and understand.

Pros

It is designed for us as an MSP. It is easy to use and very reliable. Tech support is always helpful.

Cons

Lack of replication features for VMware. Inability to backup physical machines.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review of Altaro VM Backup, which we greatly appreciate. WAN-Optimized Replication will shortly be available for VMware too. We will also soon be providing backup of physical machines: Stay tuned!

mike from Information Technology and Services

Altaro

Backing up incurs fewer errors than competing brands (that we have this far used)

Pros

Ease of use and management for adminsistrators. The display of all backed up nodes made ease of determining which backups were successful quite simple.

Cons

You have to login to the local console to do a file restore. This would significantly increase the time for a granular file restore.

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

So many errors with solarwinds backup that would cause the backup to fail. Additionally, restores were error prone.

Response from Altaro Software

Replied November 2019

Many thanks for reviewing Altaro VM Backup! We appreciate your comments about file restores. As it stands, only the Restore as a Clone option is possible via the central multi-tenant Cloud Management Console. However, we will be adding the Granular Restore and Sandbox Restore features to the Cloud Management Console in an upcoming version.

Frank from Rainer Teufel & Partner GmbH

Altaro VM Backup small Price Big Player

The Software is really a game changer in all of the Backup Solutions, super easy to use, extremly fast, Backups need a lot of less space than before. Support reaction is very fast

Pros

Its very fast and easy to setup, Backups need a lot less Space then before

Cons

To create an Applicationconsistent Backup the DATEV SQL musst be in a stopped state.

Price, Features, easy Setup

Reasons for Switching to Altaro VM Backup

Backups time very long, difficult to use, long support reaction

Michalis from FMI SA

Industry: Investment Management

By far, the best and VFM backup solution for VMs

Pros

I have been using Altaro VM backup for a series of Microsoft host servers the last 4 years. This is clearly a straight-forward, easy to use and with lots of features software that will make your life as a SysAdmin easy. The UI is quite simple, backups are easy to restore and there are many security, time and cost options that you will definitely like encryption, fire up a VM straight from Altaro and more. Also, the support is unbeatable, quick, to the point and you can always find answers at their knowledge base. One last thing is its storage saving capability using compression techniques.

Cons

I would say mostly the fact that there were a couple of versions that were unstable, but then again this was something that was announced and fixed quite soon.

Mario from Estrel Hotel Betriebs GmbH

Altaro VM Backup - easy to use - worth money

Easy to use, reliable and stable backup / recover application.

Pros

We tried different applications for backup virtual machines, but none of them was that easy to handle. Altaro needs just a view steps to backup as well as to recover. No matter onsite or offsite. Very user friedly coming with a lot of features. You do not need any extra hardware resources for management.

Cons

The explanation of error messages is sometimes unclear.

Dylan from Novi

Great service and performance

Altaro makes it easy for us to get backups up and running and gives us piece of mind that they'll be reliable. Their support is top notch, there's never a long wait on the live chat and their technicians are knowledgeable and quick to resolve issues.

Pros

Reliability, backups almost never fail and even when they do, support is always quick to resolve the issue

Cons

Not much, it works well for us, i would say perhaps the interface could be modernised but that's being picky

Anton from W5H Solutions Ltd

Reliable, easy to use, affordable backup software for your VM environments

Backup is important. Reliable backup that automatically does integrity checks and send notifcations for failures/problems is also great.

Pros

Ease of use and reliability. Easy to setup and supports backing up to a large and growing list if backup mediums. Ready for offsite and cloud backups on Azure, etc.

Cons

The requirement for Windows is unfortunate but does provide for an easy to setup and maintain system.