All Google Data Studio Reviews

Google Data Studio for Automated Reporting

Alejandro

Wine and Spirits, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2021

Start using DS, you'll love it

Amazing. Couldn't be better!

PROS

I love Google Data Studio... it's quite hard to select one feature, cause all the program is great, from the easy to use tables, the charts tables, graphics, the custimizable layout, the connection with your database...

CONS

Sometimes it gets a little bit slow and the tables or charts bugs... but it's understandable

Reason for choosing Google Data Studio

Because of the price, I'm using the free DS version and we also love working with Google products in my company. I think they have no comparison

Reasons for switching to Google Data Studio

I didn't know DS before... I used to work on Google sheets with tons of formulas and a limited database connection

Reviewed June 2022

Google Data Studio will handle my needs?

I had a big concern that I would no be able to use Microsoft Power BI (budget issue), but in the end of the road Google Data Studion was a good surprise. Good price, everything you need to put a high quality data project running. No issues. In another company for example, it would be my choice.

PROS

Once it's build your data sources, it's easy to build your dashboards even they don't have the best data viz options. It's in the Google tech stack, that makes easy to your team keep running. Would like to have Microsoft Power BI? It was my concerto too! But yes, Google Data Studio will deliver all info you need in a beautiful interface - don't worry. Good price, clear and light interface, access from any device. Your data project will meet the needs.

CONS

Different from Microsoft Power BI for example, you don't have a on screen calculation, easy to work on. Many times you need to create new fields, build cases with calculations to have the field to use on. You need an administrator/builder with more tech skills. But any doubt that I found, I had case or example in the web to search and use. But once it's build the base, it's easy to build dashboards, deploy, upgrade and so one.

Reason for choosing Google Data Studio

Already part of Google tech stack (our choice), price, fast and easy.

Reasons for switching to Google Data Studio

We need a onde piece solution for data, where all data sources get together. In many times, price here, lack of features there were a problem. Now, we have a single source of truth.

Bart

Market Research, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2020

A great solution for non-essential dashboarding solutions

We loved using it for some reasons, we hated to leave (as we had to do a lot of work all over again). But we are happy we pushed through.

PROS

1) Simple to use It is easy to use. Drag & drop, add texts, connect sources, ... It all works like a charm. 2) Free It is free to use. Connect your account and you're good to go. The downside: you're on your own... 3) Visual freedom As opposed to other solutions we (currently) use, Google offers by far more flexibility in terms of creating something that is visually exactly what you want.

CONS

1) What security? We used google data studio to embed dashboards in our own SAAS solution. As embedding only works with 'open access' documents, it means that you open up your dashboard to the world (provided they know the URL). It is not the security we like. 2) Lack of roadmap impact & customer support As one of the many free users, we have no impact on how the product evolves over time. Customer support is a matter of googling your way around and finding a community response rather than an official spokes persons' help. 3) Speed... Or the opposite rather: slooooowness No matter how happy we are about Google's Cloud Platform solution, Data studio is sloooow.

Reason for choosing Google Data Studio

Pricing. We were a bootstrapped startup, qlick & tableau were too expensive for us.

Yurii

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Good Tool To Use For Your Analytics

Great tool, if you need something to build custom reports, combine data from multiple sources - feel free to use Data Studio

PROS

Having different services in one report is now easier with the new free Google Ads + Google Analytics report. Previously, users had to manually download and compile data into an xls report. It's free

CONS

At times, I found the properties confusing and was receiving data from the test set. But that was at the beginning, now most of the reports just come to my email automatically

Reviewed June 2022

A little clunky to use but improving very rapidly as a BI tool

Overall, despite its challenging user experience, it's still a great tool. The quality of the reports and charts are topnotch. For a free BI tool, it's a good value for our money

PROS

I like that it's basically free and it's easy to create good-looking reports and share them with your colleagues. We're able to basically have another BI tool at our disposal without going through a lengthy procurement and deployment process.

CONS

Connecting a database is quite challenging with Google Data Studio. The error messages are not very helpful at its current state. And sometimes it gives you random errors for no clear reason.

It's free.

Reasons for switching to Google Data Studio

Sharing reports company-wide is a lot more feasible with Google Data Studio.

Julian

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Should be your first option when getting started with dashboarding

Easy dashboard building from multiple sources

PROS

Being fully cloud based embedded within GSuite makes it the best and easiest solution for internal dashboards amongst your team. It's quite valuable not having to break your workflow and manage different logins and makes it super easy to share with a subset or whole of your organization

CONS

There is no support so you are on your own if things are going wrong. The connectors are also much less stable than other tools with frequent I/O problems or times when things are inexplicably broken for hours or days, and you are in the dark since there is no support.

Reason for choosing Google Data Studio

free and easy to make dashboards with good functionality. Best used for internal dashboards

Reasons for switching to Google Data Studio

price (free), ease of sharing and building dashboards

Reviewed October 2020

Powerful reporting tool in the right hands.

Seeing many data sources in a single view with multiple date ranges and comparisons.

PROS

I would recommend every business used this, from small to large. The ability to combine and view google analytics, google ads and search console data is fantastic and gives you great insights into your business performance. There are also lots of templates available online to get you started for no cost.

CONS

The customisation has to come from someone with a fair bit of knowledge of the product when sharing with others. In the majority of times people will have to only have a view of the report and they won't really be able to amend or see other data within it. It is also a little slow when doing lots of data and changing the views.

Reason for choosing Google Data Studio

Value for money and connections into other google data systems.

Mallory

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed December 2019

So simple and easy to use compared to other data visualization softwares!

Overall it's made it much easier to build robust, flexible marketing dashboards and then share them with my team. It's also helped to extract data from Ad platforms at a level of granularity that wasn't available within the ad platform itself.

PROS

I love how easy it is to put the data points into different graphs and visualizations. The UI is typical of Google. Super intuitive and user-friendly and most aspects of the product behave exactly as a user would expect (which isn't the case in my experience for softwares like Tableau). Ease of use is by far what makes Google Data Studio stand out among the crowd.

CONS

Can be hard to integrate data with certain platforms if they aren't Google owned platforms. There's also minor functionality gaps around not having all of the relevant google ads dimensions and labels accessible within data studio.

Reasons for switching to Google Data Studio

Didn't have enough access rights to create my own charts and dashboards in Tableau. It also wasn't possible to get advertising platform data into Tableau.

Princewill

Retail, 51-200 employees

Google Data Studio Review from a Digital Marketer

It helps me see my marketing performance data for Google ads, Google analytics and Search data on one platform.

PROS

It's ease to use, free to use, integrates easily with all Google ads / reporting tools, 3rd party data connectors to other platforms, easy to setup and configure, easy to learn.

CONS

You may have to pay for several connectors for it to work with other platforms like Facebook ads etc

Reason for choosing Google Data Studio

It's easy to use and connects seamlessly with the Google tools & services is use the most

Lainey

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Google Data Studio for Automated Reporting

Very good to date, it's a very comprehensive product and free!

PROS

We can collate all our data sources into one automated report for our clients.

CONS

Third-party connectors can be quite expensive.

Reasons for switching to Google Data Studio

We haven't switched completely, just the reporting side. Agorapulse reports are very limited and don't allow us to include multiple data sources for a full picture.

Darien

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2021

A robust, free data visualization suite with more features than you'd expect

Overall, Google Data Studio has offered a free way to easily manage and organize data in a compelling and easy-to-use manner. While the initial setup can be tedious, Google Data Studio is a great tool for reviewing data.

PROS

Google Data Studio offers a robust set of features and visualization options, all of which come together to form a powerful data visualization platform to accommodate all your needs. With ready-to-use templates and an easy drag & drop system, Google Data Studio makes it easy to link to your data - featuring numerous connections to google apps (like sheets, ads, search console, youtube, bigquery, mysql, etc), third-party apps, and custom connections - if they don't already support the app you are looking for. On top of that, Google Data studio offers numerous types of charts (pivot tables, regular tables, scorecards, graphs of every kind), and further customization with their third-party visualization options. The platform also offers custom formulas for data, allowing you to customize your data on the front-end vs in your database. However the best part of Google Data Studio is the ability to add data controls & filters - giving the ability to add a date selector, or a drop-down list based on a column of data; or even to set each chart individually to pull data from a specific time frame. Overall, Google Data Studio offers many features which compounded together, create a powerful system for data analysis.

CONS

Despite Google Data Studio's prowess, unfortunately it can easily become overwhelming and unwieldy to manage. The learning curve for the program can be quite extreme; especially when you start to dive into custom formulas for data. While custom formulas seem to line up with formulas you might be familiar with in Excel, they don't - some formulas match, while others don't exist, and yet others do different things than their name-sake in excel. Furthermore, creating custom reports can become a time-consuming process - as you try to figure out how to display the data you want, while working around some of the limitations of Google Data Studio. This includes simple things like being able to modify the title of a specific chart - in some charts, this is an easy function; while in others, it is impossible, forcing you to use a custom title. Furthermore, Google Data Studio has a list of pre-defined date ranges (such as "Last Week starting Sunday/Monday, Month To Date, Last Month, Last Year, Last Quarter, This Month, This Year, This Quarter") which operate perfectly - however if none of their predefined options work, you have to figure out their "Advanced" date range system, which can be quite complicated to manage if you are working with a dynamic range (such as wanting to see first quarter data but you are halfway through the second quarter)

Rishikumar

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2023

A Review of Google Data Studio: Simplifying Data Visualization

Overall, my experience with Google Data Studio has been very positive. The software is easy to use, intuitive and it allows me to create interactive data visualizations with multiple data sources. The drag-and-drop functionality is a plus, it makes it simple to create professional-looking visualizations. I would recommend it to others looking for a powerful data visualization tool.

PROS

For developing interactive data visualizations, I found Google Data Studio to be user-friendly and intuitive. Its ability to link to a number of data sources, such as Google Sheets, Google Analytics, and BigQuery, is among the features I enjoyed most about it. Because of this, building reports and dashboards can be done with a great deal of flexibility and customization. Additionally, it takes relatively little effort to generate professional-looking visualizations because of the drag-and-drop feature of the interface. Overall, I discovered Google Data Studio to be a fantastic tool for anyone wishing to interpret huge data sets and provide insights in a concise and attractive manner.

CONS

I have been using Google Data Studio for some time now, and overall I have found it to be a very powerful and user-friendly tool for creating interactive data visualizations. I have been able to connect multiple data sources and have been able to customize the visualizations as per my requirement. The drag-and-drop functionality makes it very easy to create professional-looking visualizations with minimal effort. The interface is easy to navigate, and the built-in templates are a great starting point for creating new reports and dashboards. While I don't have any major issues with the software, if I had to pick something, it would be that the number of built-in chart types is limited and I would have loved more options to customize my visualizations. But this is not a big issue and overall, I am very satisfied with Google Data Studio and would recommend it to others looking for a powerful data visualization tool.

Joseph

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Agrxis Review on Google Data Studio

Using Google Data Studio has been a very great experience for me. It is a strong tool that has helped me produce interactive reports with great visuals using data from many sources. I value how flexible and user-friendly it is, enabling me to tailor the reports to meet my particular requirements. Additionally, it is quite beneficial to be able to work together on the same report. Overall, Google Data Studio has met all of my expectations, and I heartily endorse it to anyone searching for a user-friendly data visualization tool.

PROS

Google Data Studio is a great tool for producing aesthetically beautiful and useful reports, in my opinion. I particularly loved how simple and user-friendly the interface was. To successfully share my thoughts, I was able to quickly connect to a wide range of data sources and design my own dashboards and visualizations. It was also ideal for team work because it allowed for real-time collaboration, which I enjoyed. Overall, Google Data Studio exceeded my expectations and has grown into a crucial component of my toolkit for data research.

CONS

Thus far, my experience with Google Data Studio has been very positive and I have not encountered any issues or concerns

Anand

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Best App to visualize the data

PROS

One of the best platforms p to visualize the data. It's very easy to set up and analyze them.

CONS

Customer support is not available. We need some tech-friendly people to set this up.

Reasons for switching to Google Data Studio

Databox charges for the same features.

Andrea

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Industry standard for digital advertising data visualization

Overall, Data Studio is great: doesn't require extensive technical knowledge, is free, versatile and offers the ability to create real-time dashboard using different data sources - including blended ones - very easily. As an ad agency, it's one of our most used tools.

PROS

There's a reason why most agencies and marketers use Google Data Studio to create dashboards using advertising data: it's fairly powerful, integrates natively with Google's ad stack, offers decent integrations to other ad networks when using a connector (we use Supermetrics), and it's very easy to use. For a free tool, the value just can't be beat.

CONS

Data Studio is not the best overall product in the space, because it lacks the capabilities of more advanced business intelligence tools, it's fairly slow at pulling data from non-Google sources and it's got bugs - such as tables and charts breaking randomly, and then working again after a refresh, but overall is a fairly good tool. Some customization options are also suprisingly limited: for example, there is a strangely limited amount of fonts which can be used in the dashboards.

Jay

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Data visualization for all!

PROS

Similar to the capabilities you get in Google Sheets, it's hard to believe Data Studio is free. Thanks to data studio, I've been able to create a variety of dashboards that allow my company to keep up to date on where they've been and where they're headed.

CONS

Not as many options (yet) as the big dogs. It doesn't take long to start a laundry list of desired features. Sometimes it has trouble connecting to the data and needs anywhere between one browser refresh and a full day of rest of to start working again.

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2022

Amazing Free Resource

Overall I am satisfied with the tool and I have used it several times in the past to create simple and effective dashboards.

PROS

I think that Google Data Studio is severely underused as a free tool for Google Workspace subscribers. Anytime I hear about someone paying for the expensive Tableau access I tell them to check out this program instead. Very comparable tool at little to no price.

CONS

Some features are difficult to understand how to use, but resources (free online classes) are available to teach yourself how to solve the issue. I just wish they would put more time into thinking of how to make the feature intuitive in the first place so that courses are not needed.

Little to no cost.