(1,138)

Browse Visio Reviews

Showing -49 - 0 of 1952 results

Traci from JE Dunn Construction

Easy and simple diagram

It gives my presentations with diagrams and graphs a unique appearance and helps me understand the processes when they are more complicated since I can elaborate them by threads or by parts. Its templates are versatile so when I draw it is easy and I can communicate with my colleagues by messaging from this tool. I can save everything in the cloud.

Pros

A variety of diagrams can be drawn with this software including flow charts, organization charts, construction and floor plans, data diagrams among many. Automatically generate org charts from data sources such as Excel, Exchange, or Azure Active Directory. Simple or complicated diagrams can be made quickly and easily. It has a stencil gallery to determine the items in a room for example. It allows you to preview bone to see what the fonts and diagrams will be like before running it with the option to modify it by another tool.

Cons

you need to understand the program well to use it well. It is paid and its license is expensive ranging from $ 290 to $ 580. Their service to users is poor. It is not compatible with other operating systems only Microsoft. Their updates are not periodic since they take up to 3 years to make an improvement. It can throw errors during its installation and takes up a lot of hard disk space.

Bed Prakash from Metamium Group

December 2021

Best design and drawing tools for all Business

I am using Visio from my college. I use Visio on my every projects and assignments that required design and drawing. My first preference is Visio and if visio unable to complete my requirements then I useAutoCAD.

Pros

Visio is one of the best products design by Microsoft. Specially I am using visio for my electical work like circuit design, floor electical installation model, machine flow analysis etc. I am 200% satisfied and always love to use for similar projects.

Cons

There is no demerites as far I know. It ia simple to use, though some features are not avaialble while comparing with CAD but it is ok in this price. Overall it has limited features but with excellent quality.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Deu to its simple and user friendly interface, I choose Visio.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

AutoCAD takes too long to load and takes time to desing. I am using Visio as far as possible and if Visio fails then only I use CAD.

Timo from 42 GmbH

Visio Review

we have been able to very efficiently pre plan and rent out our conference rooms and banquet rooms, everything can be preplanned exactly with table setups, adding in buffets and squeezing out every bit of space needed beforehand

Pros

once everything is set up, it is fairly easy to use although there is a lot of setup needed. We use Visio as a tool to map out and arrange conference rooms / banquet halls, and if set up correctly, it is a mighty tool

Cons

you want to use this efficiently, you have to put in the work first. Measurements need to be exact for every shape, be it a chair, or a table, or a door or window, for our use there is not really templates we can just download from the web

José Eduardo from PhoenixCorp

Visio - La Herramienta de Diseño para la mediana empresa

Mi Experiencia es excelente, es el software de precio medio que realmente es útil en las pequeñas y medianas empresas para realizar sus proyectos y diseños, que no requieren diseños asistidos complejos.

Pros

La diversa funcionalidad con que cuenta y sus herramientas, ya que aparte de contar con las herramientas de toda la vida (las de Microsoft Office) como iconos, formas, textos, etc. cuenta con gráficos propios de diseños vectoriales aplicados a cada área de diseño como electricidad, diagramas, gestión de proyectos, etc. Siendo de fácil e intuitivo uso.

Cons

Que es un poco compleja la creación de nuevos símbolos personalizados a escala que me permitan crear modelos nuevos y adaptables a las necesidades que uno requiere.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Por la facilidad de uso al ser derivado de Microsoft, y la sencillez de la diagramación e implementación de diseños.

Kirk from iCare

Make processes visual

Mostly for internal use but have also adapted diagrams for customer-facing uses.

Pros

Visio make it easy for complex workflows to be displayed visually.

Cons

Sometimes when a user begins mapping a process that turns out to be more complex than initially expected, accommodating the added complexity can be time consuming to make the process visually easy-to-understand.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Familiar interface. Easier ability to store files as desired.

Doyle from Broward College

Visio is a visionary tool for data interpretation.

Having used Visio for quite some time now, I have found the software extremely useful in my day to day life and it is incredibly reliable and has rarely failed to let me down. Visio takes out all the time consuming hard work of creating your own gaant charts and what not and just leaves you with what you really want! Sexy visualized data that is easy to interpret and easy to create.

Pros

When you use other charting software, it is often clunky and hard to get a custom to, which can be quite annoying, especially when you are just trying to visualize your data quickly and efficiently. Visio basically took away all the struggle of manually creating charts/diagrams and allows you to visualize your data with ease. The user friendly interface makes the software extremely friendly and its easy to get a hang of. I would say that the software allows you to visualize your data concisely and accurately and saves you time so you can focus on the more pressing tasks at hand.

Cons

Visio is only available on Windows, and to be honest why wouldn't it be, its a Microsoft product overall, however I really think a piece of software this great should be available to everyone on every OS. I also have a mac book and I cannot integrate my mac with Visio which is quite the annoyance. I personally do not think the price is that high for the quality you get, but I can see it being a bit too much for just your standard users.

Trent from JE Dunn Construction

Our construction assistant

I was able to make an office plan easily and with various colors and designs, since it has several templates that allow me to better organize my projects. It is very accessible when ordering a custom template.

Pros

facilitates the process of creating professional diagrams and graphics in a dynamic and versatile way, being able to edit the structure and colors in a variety of ways. It allows to create calculation pages to keep accounting records, budgets, among others. Plans can also be made by giving it the appropriate data, these can be very exact. Its design is friendly and easy to use.

Cons

It cannot be used with Mac or Linux, limiting its use to those who have these programs. It is somewhat complicated and tedious when printing these plans under this program. it is somewhat expensive and requires high performance equipment.

Ramon from General Motors

Creating diagrams is easy

now i can create diagrams from scratch or modify existing ones with the help of visio. I can add and align shapes easily and precisely. The grid improves the adjustment automatically, this makes it my ideal ally when making diagrams.

Pros

With smart and precise diagrams and drawings this program also incorporates exact data and dimensions. When generating reports, it allows the export of data and new formats, facilitating their customization. Its review mode allows you to track comments.

Cons

This software is not free or multilanguage. If you do not have some prior knowledge of the program, it is difficult to find the tools required for certain designs. It takes up a lot of hard disk space.

Chaya from Scienter Technologies (Pte) Ltd

Visio – professional in diagram drawing

Visio is one of the tools which is used by most of the people for drawing diagrams and charts. Because of the easiness in drawing and and professional look of the final product this application is more famous in the industry more specifically in IT industry.

Pros

Visio has become one of the major applications which is used in drawing diagrams in the industry. Visio has become almost an official tool in diagraming as it is vastly used In most of the companies in creating diagrams related to their business plans and projects. There are various types of diagrams provided through the application . So the users can draw any type of a diagram according to their requirement from the given diagram types. Because of the large number of diagram types provide by the application users’ does not need to search different software to draw different diagrams which saves both the time and money of the user. Visio offers different editions like Standard, professional and pro with particularly improved functions per each edition. Also Visio created diagrams can be imported in another similar diagram drawing software and do further modifications. Even the diagrams drawn by some selected software can be opened through Visio and edit them. Visio offers both desktop and online versions for the users which helps the users to use the product whenever they want wheatear they are connected to internet or not.

Cons

Visio is not a platform independent software. So far Visio is only available for windows operating system. It does not supports mac os or Linux or any other operating system. Which has limited the usage of the application only for the users using windows. Though there are different editions users have to pay for each edition with more facilities. And the price need to be payed seems to be unfair considering the same category applications. Though there is a desktop version in Visio it is not constantly updated. Updates are available for the desktop version within few years time period. So it is bit difficult to work with the desktop version.

Arslan from SKUIRE Technologies

Visio an all in one visualization tool

Overall experience with Visio is good. its diverse and turns to be the one helping me saving the day. They just need to make it cloud friendly like many of their other tools and give it a little modern feel.

Pros

One thing good about is you can quickly use it to create a diverse nature of diagrms, charts, models and much more. it is kind of a solution that fits a lot different scenerios. It doesn't matter whether you are a teacher, student, professional in any field. This way or that way you will come across Visio and it will save the day. Visio helps not just in computer programming related models, ERD, Flow charts but it helps you in many other fields as well. like organizational structures, charts and project management related stuff as well. I am an IT official and it has helped me in both IT stuff and business stuff. You can even generate basic models, SQL and class codes using Visio.

Cons

its cons are Microsoft no longer offers it under general office suite subscription. Secondly unlike other modern chart tools its not fully available in cloud yet.

Timothy from timlittletech

Very capable diagramming tool

Overall a very feature rich diagramming tool. Overall sharing / file management was NOT Good. which was the dealbreaker for me.

Pros

Overall Visio can do everything you need to in regards to diagramming. There are hundreds of shapes icons, tips, tricks etc... I spent 6+ months getting familiar with the program and once you have the hang of it you really can make amazing diagrams and visuals. I really think you should be on the latest visio as there are older versions which default settings make all your diagrams look very old and outdated. But the newer version of Visio does have better visuals/colors etc which make your diagrams look more modern. There are lots of keyboard shortcuts which are amazingly helpful, only downside is you have to learn them, which does take time.

Cons

I found Visio is clunky and hard to learn, and some of the features they tout like 'auto-align' I could never find useful. it always messed up the order / arrangement of the diagram. Also the color themes and fonts tend to make the diagrams look a little outdated. Especially if you are on an older version of Visio. Anything earlier than 2019 I think has default settings which made my diagrams look like they were made in the 90s. The other thing which was a PAIN is sharing diagrams, it makes it really difficult to keep a source of truth diagram and constantly be exporting it to PDF, always wondering who has the latest version etc... O365 should fix this, but I always found copies getting saved to my local and just exasperating the problem. More than once I had to make the same changes to a diagram cause I misplaced or lost an updated version. That is my biggest pain with visio, and is ultimately why I switched to Lucid Chart.

Michael from Liggett Group

Industry: Tobacco

The tool for visual mathematicians

I love it for the purpose it was intended for. I don't think I could find anything better. Most of the time I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Just don't let yourself get in a spot where you need to write your own code to generate your charts automatically because the API and help for it would require another degree just for this product.

Pros

It can connect to a wide range of data sources to present data in your charts. It has a wide range of abilities through the various add-ons and tools. The range of standard drawing objects is huge and you can create your own if you know what you are doing.

Cons

It sucks for trying to program against it. Every drawing object has its own properties, methods and behaviors. It is a real nightmare if you need to integrate it into an automation system. The only one I have found that might be worse is Outlook and that would depend on what you were doing.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

We didn't. Our company purchased both and use them both for different types of needs.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

These versions had a lot of functionality but since our company bought the MS suite and Visio came as part of the package it just made sense to use what we had versus buying something else.

Great tool to draw Flowcharts , Process flows and Network drawings!!

I'm using Visio for my daily work when I need to draw flowcharts, business process and more importantly for network drawings and rack drawings. Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort. GUI is very easy to use and templates cover most of the daily business requirements and even easy to find many templates online and use it. I'm using original stencils for all my drawings ( Network and Rack diagrams )which gives me perfect output. So overall I really recommend MS Visio...

Pros

Easier to learn and use it even for a beginner who never used Visio or any proper software. The richness of the templates in the library and even the possibility to download additional templates as per your requirement. Available many stencils with most of the brands (HP, Cisco, Dell, etc.) when using to draw network diagrams.

Cons

You need to pay separately for license costs even you have Office Professional or Office 365. Need to convert to PDF or another version to view it , if you don't have Visio to see it.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Trust over Microsoft products. An existing good relationship with Microsoft. Easiness of use and to learn. Better features and functionality.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Early I was using Ms word and powerpoint for these but both of them were unable to deliver what I want so I switch to Ms Visio. ( Mainly professional look output and easiness to use) Visio is a great tool to get a professional quality output without much effort.

Steve from Arch Language Network

Visio is your type of drawing and diagram software if you are not a CAD expert

- I have drawn hundreds of drawings in Visio, from Network drawings to Architectural drawings to Flow Charts and Engineering drawings for parts fabrication. - It took me a long time to master Visio for complicated drawings but now I would never use anything else. - Visio drawings always impress the boss.

Pros

- It can draw anything you can think of - There are many pre-defined symbols that can be dragged and dropped into a drawing - Pre-defined symbols can be easily incorporated into your drawing with connectors that snap to connection points and can then be dragged to other parts of the drawing. - It can print your drawing onto any size paper you select - Drawings, objects, symbols, lines and connectors can be colored using the standard Windows colors. - Objects and symbols can have data embedded into them from a database or used to create a database. - There is an almost unlimited amount of help available from boards and users on the web. - You can import AutoCAD drawings and change them. - Drawings can be exported into AutoCAD format.

Cons

- There is a very long learning curve. - It uses the typical Microsoft help function which cannot find things using plain English queries. (Google is MUCH better) - It may be difficult to find the thing you want to do as there are some many functions. - The Microsoft "Ribbon" can be a real pain when trying to find a function. It can waste a huge amount of time. - If you know the name of the function, you can put into the "What do you want to do" search function but if you find it there, it does not show you where, in the Ribbon, that function is, so you do not have the opportunity to learn - It can be quite cumbersome, when working on something and then needing to do something else, which requires many moves from the drawing to the Ribbon and back. - The Ribbon - You use the Pointer a lot but it requires a trip to the Ribbon when you are doing anything else and need the pointer, like text. - It is very expensive, even when subscribed to it in Office 365.

Andrew from University of Arizona - College of Medicine Phoenix

Process Development Tool with layers

Visio has helped me take conversations and brainstorming sessions and demonstrate how they would actually work. So often there is a good intention on trying something new, but it is important to get everyone on the same page. This tool has helped do that. I have also extensively used Visio as a training tool. I will link the diagrams to other portals and tools that we use, so that the workflow document is something of a link aggregator for all the steps involved. This has made the hand-off from training to implementation much easier.

Pros

I like that I can use Visio to easily demonstrate workflows and process improvement ideas. There is a range of understanding for software like Visio. I do not use it to automate at my place of work, but I use it extensively for visual learners when implementing or discussing new processes, procedures, and ideas. Often I have co-workers take these designs and display them for their team as a physical reminder, others are more intuitive and I work with them to develop interactive workflows (with links, actions, etc.)

Cons

There are some elements to how you design that are not intuitive. I usually spend about 15 minutes with users who download the software to demonstrate how they can make their flows and diagrams. The organization chart is particularly more cumbersome than advertised, but even so, I have users who use it for this purpose. Online resources are sparse as well, and I often am troubleshooting when trying new methods.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Similar to the description above. We tested Lucidchart and even have people who still prefer to use it because they are comfortable. But ultimately we found more use-cases for the Visio product.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Functionality with other Office products. We utilize the Office Suite extensively and Visio is a better solution in that regard. It is also easier to train people on an office product, as they are more familiar with it.

Sreekumar from BUYBAA SOLUTIONS AND ECOMMERCE LLP

Industry: Information Services

Awesome professional diagrams and flow charts

Pros

As a Business Analyst cum Product Manager in Software Engineering, tremendous amount of documentation including business process diagrams, and flowcharts were part of my role in my previous product organization. Before learning Visio, I have tried many free apps, and capabilities with in word and struggled a lot. While we make enterprise solutions by offering customization in our product suite, it is quite normal to study and analysis complex business processes of every new customer. To make a case - the process to be automated, solution, estimation, and design, diagrams and flowcharts were inevitable. Making diagrams eat a lot of time before Visio. Visio helped us to streamline this particular activity. It is pretty simple to copy an old diagram, make a few modifications and use it in another document. Another advantage in using vision is scope for modifications and less time to edit the diagrams. The beauty of Visio is stencils and drag and drop feature to build diagrams. Also it is awesome to have an excellent repository of shapes. Couple of times, I have used the organization chart feature. The import feature is very much helpful when we have a comprehensive reporting hierarchy. Live data overlay which enables us to visualize live data in the context of a org structure, a business process, or a manufacturing process flow to get the big picture in one glance. Once you master Visio, it is less likely that you switch to any other tool for diagrams and process flows. Provision to collaborate on diagrams simultaneously is a big relief when many users work on a diagram

Cons

It is a fantastic tool and no doubt on its capabilities. However pricing is heavy and the solution is subscribing to online version. If the shapes show some meaning or suggest the purpose, Visio can be a bit more intuitive.

Marat from Syntomax Network Solution

Visio review

I started using Visio before Microsoft purchased it so I have quite big experience with this great application. I'm still using it a lot to visualize text information into graphics almost every day.

Pros

In my opinion the Visio is the industry standard and definitely the best tool to build different kinds of drawings (graphs, diagrams, charts, etc). It has many built-in shapes and templates (stencils), lots of options to connect to wide range of data sources. The Visio diagrams are easy to understand for both technical and non-technical audiences.

Cons

Microsoft Visio is not part of Microsoft Office Suite anymore (it must be purchased separately). The Visio license is quite expensive. Microsoft Visio is not available for Apple Mac and Linux platforms. Web (online) version of Visio would be great alternative to standalone application (since it must be cheaper).

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Visio is more flexible and easy to use.

Jess from Weatherford

Industry: Oil & Energy

Scientist Viewpoint

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

AutoCAD has more capabilities than I really needed and since I was not a design engineer it was overwhelming to work in. Note, I made the transition in 1998 when I was graduate school.

Chirag from Risk Administration Services, Inc.

Process diagram standardization with Visio

We've diagrammed a significant portion of our company's operations using Visio. This has highlighted, visually, where inefficiencies are. There are several touch-points in each process. Visualizing touch points has helped us think critically where staff's time can be saved through automation and reduce pain points for staff.

Pros

Visio appears to be an industry leader and standard for process diagramming. I love the speed with which we can create process diagrams in Visio. We use Visio web interface, which is less-featured than Professional version, but is very functional for small and medium business. Web version is also easiest for users to see the diagrams and edit them.

Cons

I don't like compatibility issues between Visio web version and Professional desktop version. To work around that, we use web version consistently. Web version's limited feature-set is more tolerable than fixing compatibility issues.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Visio fits our Office ecosystems and day to day workflow. It is integrated with SharePoint features, which makes its governance easy. It is also easy to buy through our existing licensing agreement with Microsoft. Competing products were very good, but we would have to set up separate governance.

Chris from Tornado Design

The best flowcharting and diagram package out there

I design software interfaces and algorithms within the application and find it so easy to get my ideas down diagrammatically in order to turn them into real applications

Pros

Flexibility - easy to use for a multitude of tasks, from flowcharting to network design, swim lanes to manage teams, and so easy to view on mobile devices too with a plugin to view on the web, and an app to download both on Android and iOS!

Cons

Well, I would love Visio to be added to the Microsoft 365 system and be available as a editable app on iOS and Android, not just a read only application. For a new user it can be quite tricky to get started, but it is very simple to pick up

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Lucidchart used to be available to teachers as a special licence, which they changed to limiting to just 50 objects on a form, making complex diagrams impossible without switching licences

Gabriella from GABResources

Industry: Mining & Metals

Good for demonstrating understanding and reporting

It has a great layout and it's really good for drawing process flows specifically those that are not complex.

Pros

Visio is an academic standard and I started actively using it during my undergraduate studies. I have used it to draw Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for metallurgical plants both in school and a bit at work. It’s really good for demonstrating understanding and reporting. Visio’s grid layout and the user interface are easy to use, they make it easy to maneuver between plant work and theory. I have been able to use Visio to document and draw out my observations from the plant which enabled me to draw theoretical conclusions. This process is quite helpful in getting to know and understand a new site; solve problems & identifying room for process improvement; and Visio has instrumental in me doing this. At first, I was unhappy realizing that some industry-specific icons and shapes are not found among the standard Visio objects but soon realized that I can add custom objects as a picture which works fine especially for demonstration purposes.

Cons

When drawing a complex PFD connecting objects can become hard. The connector detects all nearby objects, and in a complex diagram, there are several nearby objects. In this instance, I have found it hard to drag the connector to the right object. There are alternative ways such as clicking instead of dragging but this results in a connection that most of the time is placed where you do not want it. Most of the time it's either too far out or too jagged where fixing it is harder than dragging it. It would help if there could be a painless way of adding connectors between objects that are close to each other?

Microsoft Visio

I have been using Visio since 2002. This is the only program which I used consistently almost every day. I develop icons, drawings, flow charts and flyers all in Visio. It is not very restrictive but it is quite loose. I have to make my own templates which may also go wrong. But with experience, once gets better with Visio.

Pros

There are a few strong points in MS Visio. First is its ability to work with vectors. It can easily import SVG graphics, edit their individual lines and then being able to export the SVG again. The export can also be done in PDF. This makes the whole experience of working with graphics like icons so easy. There is no need for programs like Illustrator or Inskscape. Another good feature is that Visio contains thousands of symbols from various categories like electrical engineering, mechanics, etc. That is also useful while building the flow charts and diagrams.

Cons

One annoying part in Visio is combining the lines into a single plan so that it can be filled with a color. When you select all of the connected lines and click Join or Combine ( in Operations), the task is done without an error. But then when you try to fill a pattern or color into that area, it does not work, just because it did not really join the lines. I could never find a way to get this resolved. The only way is to keep trying by reconnecting the line again and again.

Mandeep from OATI

Microsoft Visio is the best software for your diagram design and documentation of organization need.

I have been using this software as a part of my daily job requirements and I can say this is the best software one can get to work on various types of diagrams to suit to your business and organizational requirements.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is the best software for serving the purpose of diagrams designs. It's capabilities to provide the best diagram templates for data flow diagrams, floor plans, building plans are among the best features. I have been using this software for preparing DFD's and flowcharts as part of my regular job requirements and I can say this is best software for such accomplishments since it offer varities of templates that I can just pick and go for doing my job with ease. According to me what makes this software stand out is its ability to pick the data from the MS Excess and MS Access which makes it best piece of software for working on diagram requirements in an organization.

Cons

Though it is very easy to use for those who have a little bit of experience using the Visio, however if you are starting with the software the you may find it little bit difficult to understand and get going so I would recommend anyone who is planning to use the software to spend some time with the software and get used to it and then you will find it easier and very useful and effective to accomplish your requirements.

Thamara from Cibersys

Diagrams easily and effectively

Visio has allowed me to create the engineering practice layout. As well as, I have used it for the creation of maps, flow charts, free elements, among others In my area of work it is very helpful because it is process oriented so it is always necessary to elaborate process diagrams

Pros

the simplicity and effectiveness of use, are characteristics that distinguish this powerful office tool. Visio has themes that you can select for the realization of particular diagrams of both form and objects. This office tool can be included from the editable mode in other tools of the office itself. Visio integrates all conventional office options into an ideal tool for diagramming. It has a simple menu like what we are used to with office, also of options that add value to the design. You should not be afraid to insert images or elements because the tool easily allows it. I include a simple edition

Cons

When I try to insert the editable visio in power point, the visualization is difficult to handle elements from there. From visio to include an image the size can get to be very small, it is necessary to be attentive to the size with which you are designing from visio. If you want to open a visio file in tools in the cloud, it is not an easy task, since the particularity of this tool is directly with Microsoft Office.

Tharindu from Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project

Industry: Civil Engineering

There's not competition to Visio

I regret not having used this software before. Just like many, I thought this to be expensive. But an hour with the software proved how much time would've been saved had I chose this earlier. Visio offers one of the cleanest interfaces available, and it's a pleasure to work with this software. The rich template library will help anyone get a quick start in any project.

Pros

Visio provides us with an unbelievably smooth user experience when it comes preparing any kind of flow chart, mind map, hierarchy, process diagram, and anything else you could thing of! Also, you get to export your work in pretty much every usable format available. There's almost zero learning curve with this one if you're familiar with basic MS software packages. I can't ever see myself seeking an alternative to this.

Cons

There's nothing to dislike! Anyone who might think that this is expensive will find that this is worth it after the very first use.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

First, I only gave a try to see if there's anything different compared to the alternative. But upon finding how great the experience was, I got rid of all the alternatives.

Graham from Positive

The standard for our charting needs

Within our agency environment Visio is the only application we trust to deliver all of our charting and diagramming requirements within the Business Analysis team. It allows non-creative users to deliver competent charts for reports without relying on the Design team. The app is highly dependable and has developed to support new use cases over the years under Microsoft's parentage.

Pros

- The standard application that allows charts to be authored and distributed across the agency and our clients - Flexibility to create any of our charting needs, from flow charts to sitemaps and hosting architecture diagrams - Simple interface to commence learning the capabilities - Ability to download additional stencils for many charting needs which aren't available out-of-the-box

Cons

- Can seem expensive for casual and intermittent users - User interface can seem alien for less-familiar users who are used to tools such as PowerPoint - If the requirement is for a specific task such as drawing up a website sitemap Visio is hugely complicated in comparison to specifically focussed apps

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Familiar MS Office interface, integrated into Office 365 subscriptions.

Amit from Nactus India Services Pvt Ltd

Excellent tool for mockups and workflow

Microsoft Visio is one of the best application for designing of wireframes, mockups, workflow etc. You can find various alternatives over the web but when we talk of performance on desktop system, Visio will come at first place. My overall experience is good and its really wonderful. I am able to express myself in terms of designing wireframes successfully through this.

Pros

Microsoft VISIO is awesome application. I am using it since 2008 and have used various versions of it. Visio is wonderful desktop application which runs smoothly. It consists of many inbuilt tools andd diagram shape which helps you in creating awesome documents such as 1) Mockups 2) wireframes 3) Flowchart 4) Workflow design 5)creating network topology diagram 6) Process documentation etc. Its drag & drop feature elements, grouping/un-grouping feature is awesome. Micorosoft office related shortcut commands work perfectly.

Cons

The problem with microsoft applications that these are costly. Visio is similarly costly product and its lighter version not available for cheaper prices. Product feature wise i can say that its is weaker on mockup design for Android and iPhone mobile apps wireframes, microsoft should add such stencils also in this application so that people continue to use it.

Kim from Utilities

One of the "killer apps" alive today

Too numerous to mention. Suffice it to say the phrase 'A picture is worth a thousand words' is very true and this product helps bring ideas to life.

Pros

Granted it was purchased by Microsoft from Visio Corporation in 2000 but it hasn't lost a thing, which is quite unbelievable. In fact, it has gotten better over the years. I have to say it is truly one of the most "beautiful" pieces of software I've ever used. From the flow of the user interface to the creation of almost any type of diagram, Visio has been there for me since day one. The ability to layer diagrams and images can not be beat. With some additional VBA work in the tool, it can not be beat for ease of use and flexibility. It can also connect to a database and create ER diagrams. It also has UML which can almost turn directly into code. Almost. It's not quite there. Yet.

Cons

It will come as no surprise that the price is what is the most absurd. The pricing of the product lines will take this software out of reach of casual users. For doing any truly useful work, the Professional version is almost double the Standard version. Microsoft needs to lower the cost to increase its market penetration in some sectors. Otherwise, a solid all-around product.

Kim from Dominion Energy Resources

Visio 2013 still top notch!

Pros

Visio 2013 has raised the bar for the challengers. While I already enjoyed using Visio 2010, I now really enjoy Visio 2013. The addition of the ribbon interface now makes it easier to set up and enter frequently used features along with providing a very workable interface to add drawings, pictures and any other diagrams needed to make business flow. I use this tool almost every day to produce and refine presentations to staff and managers. I particularly like the workflow diagrams which allow me to get my point across as to where the resources are used most heavily in day to day business. Although I've looked at other tools, I still believe this tool is the best value for the money and for interoperability with other systems.

Cons

While there is not much to dislike about this software, there are some features which leave something to be desired. An example is the ease of placing headers and footers on the diagram. Now, it seems that we have to use the title feature which only allows headers and footers as background layers for the Visio diagram. I'm not sure I like this feature. I think there needs to be functionality that allows the user more flexibility in designing and entering headers and footer with ease. The current functionality permitted by Visio 2013 is somewhat clunky. There should be an easier way.

Jerry from Texas State Aquarium

Invaluable software for documenting entire computer network. Full of features, full of functions.

Biggest benefit this gives us, after having used it for so long and put a lot of work into it, is great visibility into the design of our entire network: firewalls, routers, switches, servers; building layouts, cabling paths; access points, desktops, phones, printers. Everything is organized so well, we can easily lookup physical locations, switch ports, and cable paths, making troubleshooting much less difficult for our IT Technicians and Interns.

Pros

It's pretty powerful and full of features and niceties. Using this software, we've been able to fully document our existing network, document all upgrades and changes. We've even used it to integrate into our Active Directory network to build out organizational charts. It has shapes and templates for just about everything we've needed: org charts, switching and routing diagrams, individual switch cabling, diagrams for documenting our server racks, our phone system, work flows, and building layouts. We recently more than doubled the size of our building, and this software has helped us to document everything in the new building, and keep track of upgrades in our existing buildings. Software is easy to use, so our interns have been able to jump right in and start working with all of its features.

Cons

It does seem to use a lot more memory than other Office programs, so it does tend to crash a lot on us. Mostly when we're using some of its more advanced features like integrating it into Exchange/Active Directory. Even still, it works well at what it does, we just need PCs that have a lot of memory to ease the user experience.

Allyson from Nissan Motor Corporation

Visio, the vision of the future

It allowed me to make the plan of my house in a simple and dynamic way, I was able to organize my house both in structure and in color in many ways. It has a wide variety of templates to organize my projects and if I don't have it in the program, I can order it only with the measurements and some extra features.

Pros

allows us to create diagrams and vector graphics at a professional level, from the flow diagram to the most complex in a dynamic and versatile way since the interface lets you select structures and colors to your liking. It can be linked to an exel page making the completion of a project easier since it allows you to draw up fairly exact plans just by giving it the corresponding data. It has several templates which give you the organization of your company in a simple and fast way. Its design is very easy to use

Cons

It is not available for Mac and Linux, so it limits its availability to those who do not have Visio online. It has no aesthetic suggestions when it comes to complicated diagrams like wireframes for example. It is not as easy to print or publish your diagrams as it should be. It is expensive and expensive, high equipment requirements for installation.

Wayne from software

The only Microsoft tool to use for some types of graphic, but finicky and difficult to use

More sophisticated capabilities than other Microsoft graphics tools

Pros

Capabilities to go beyond simple diagramming, including the ability to use macros with layers to switch views within a single diagram. This alone once saved me the effort of producing multiple diagrams for the same workflow process, reflecting how groups of users with different permissions would "see" the same flow.

Cons

1) Shapes only offer one text block. Classic example: database "cans", where I'd like to have a "name" text block within the oval and a "description" text block within the body. After all these years, surely Microsoft could work out a way to have two or more text blocks in a single shape (or on a single connector)! 2) Connectors love to re-route and are hard or impossible to "lock down" in complex diagrams, including both diagrams built "from scratch" and those using templates (e.g. organization charts). 3) Temperamental Templates. All of the templates I have used (organization charts, database relationships and home room layout in recent memory) have been almost as much trouble as they were useful. Apparently room layout is a particularly challenging task as I couldn't find a good non-Microsoft tool elsewhere either. I'm fairly widely experienced creating business graphics with a number of tools, but not a full-time graphics professional. I use Visio to visually document systems and databases with which I work in software development and maintenance. As such, I'm technical enough to understand something about the shape system, but with only a rare opportunity to "tinker" with Visio to try to "get it to behave". I'd really like more ability to "lock" connectors and shapes and richer text capabilities for both shapes and connectors. Bottom line: Visio's ease of use has barely changed in years and is the single area that Microsoft should address next.

Bryce from CM3 Inc

Simple, for better or for worse

Overall I love Visio. I use it for every single one of my projects alternating between using it and using AutoCAD. Both programs have their own benefits. But Visio is still useful and helpful to me in its own right.

Pros

Visio's greatest feature is that it is unbelievably easy to pick up and start working ona design with little to no experience. As an engineer I find it incredibly intuitive. The preset stencils that many companies in our industry use is very helpful as well.

Cons

On the flip side of its ease of use, the simplicity of the program takes away from the amount of tools and resources that are embedded in the program. There are features that other designer programs have that Visio is just not able to match because of its ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

I switched to a new company that uses both visio and AutoCAD.

Ben from Balfour Beatty

Pretty much a must have for flowcharts and network mapping

Overall I'd recommend Visio to anyone who needs to create a flow chart for a process in a clear and easy to follow way or who needs to map out a complex network so it can be visualised by a customer or manager. The first time you use it, you'll probably struggle to produce anything more complicated that a few connected boxes but with practice you'll be able to clearly document even the most convoluted process. Last year I used it to produce a flow chart for the complete process of our business improvement system and it was 12 feet long when printed out on the plotter.

Pros

Visio is easily integrated with all the other parts of MS Office, such as teams and OneDrive, and has the same look and feel familiar to users of other MS Office products Its' widely used across multiple companies and has been for years due to its dependability, easy to use format and adherence to standardised shapes/icons. By that I mean that if I use it to map out a network or produce a flowchart and send it to someone at another company, they're going to understand what each icon I use represents.

Cons

The only real downside to Visio (especially in older versions) is the connector tool for adding arrows/lines to your flow charts. The standard shapes come with pre-set connection points and if you're producing a flow for a particularly complicated process, the connection points never seem to be where you want them to be. I believe you can go in to more advance settings and add in your own custom connection points but this can be a slow and laborious process.

Matthew from Government Administration

An easy vector based diagram tool

Overall, Visio is a great tool and has been improved a lot over the years. The quality it produces and the precision of measurment, gives you that peace of mind. It's not too difficult to master and you can easily start using it without major training.

Pros

Visio makes creating diagrams satisfying. It is generally quite easy to use but is packed with a lot of features the more you dig into it. It has helped us create visually appeasing diagrams that don't take long to put together. Visio's template and icon support is another great little feature, which helps add to the visuals and accuracy.

Cons

Though it's a great tool, it's not the cheapest and sometimes the implementation or 'previews' make it difficult to share files with those who don't have visio. Though you can save files as regular jpegs/PDFs etc. it can sometimes be frustrating to share and edit with those who don't have it.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Though we checked out alternatives, Visio seems to stand out with overall quality. As it's a Microsoft product, it also integrates well with the other software that we use day to day, which makes it a stronger choice overall.

Cesar A from Gobierno del Distrito Capital

An idea express on the screen and a help for your business

With Visio in our company we can model a basic set of features where the people does not work in the right or maybe they are not in the right condition to have an acceptance performance. So with the software we can determinate which are the conditions that was making the people does not produce the proportion that the administration department had been calculate and we saw that was an incompatibility between the job that the people are doing in the condition of their workplace, we can determinate that with Visio and with direct interaction with the workers.

Pros

Visio allows to the users to make a conceptual map of their ideas, through the creation of schemes what can show the actual condition of the company, where the changes has to be do, how we can improve our markket sector, how we are spending our money and how we are managing our budget, we can also fixed the key points to evolve or to resolve some probles of our company or business. We can do all this with a massive quantity of elements to show a precise image of our ideas and show how the thing are, and how the things could be in our company.

Cons

The many disadvantage for many companies or little business it is the price, maybe some companies does not want to spend a great amount of money in a software who they think can be replace with a free software, another limitation it is associated with the team work, to represent a perfect image of the company you have to hear a every person involve or even the most of them, if you do not do that you can show a personal image, a personal problem and this cannot be the idea of all the company, that it is going to be your personal opinion of the problems of the company, you have to be beware of this.

Jose de Jesus from Banco Bicentenario, Banco Universal C.A.

My pleasant experience using Microsoft Visio

Pros

One of the tools that I use with great frequency is the Microsoft Visio, it has helped me to capture or draw different aspects of the projects that I have the responsibility to lead or assign to my team. The tools incorporated within Microsoft Visio allow giving that professional touch that allows to group flow of information and descriptions at the same time and end user is easy to understand. Equally the different stencil that can be incorporated, facilitates and integrates the information, I have had the experience of searching for stencil of proprietary brands to be able to work with the hardware of my professional environment without any kind of problems. And when presenting or exporting it is very easy, the incorporated help is very useful when clarifying a doubt.

Cons

This wonderful tool to graphically capture ideas, projects, information flow and even design of structures, has its sales it is possible that it also has its point against, which is not much in micaso that could be for a person with little knowledge in really what If you want to capture, it could be a problem to know that there are thousands of stencils available that help create a more professional document. Another one of the few points against could be that the tools of left side are hidden and it can be difficult to stop the novice user to obtain them again. Of the rest I recommend 100% the use of Microsoft Visio

Peter from GOJO Industries

Industry: Chemicals

Visio for use with campaign journey mapping

Visio took me some time to learn but now it is my and my team's go-to tool for documenting and sharing process maps, specfically or customer journeys to help outline the overall CX.

Pros

We have found the visualization of our campaign journeys we used to do on dry erase boards to be tremendously helpful in painting a clear picture, with swim lanes and milestones to help orient stakeholders on an overall campaign journey, tactics and elements involved.

Cons

At times I have issues with locating specific icons within the process mapping and if I search for a more generalized word, it often freezes because a word like cloud or others have so many results it slows the system down, and I have often had the application crash and need to restart.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

It was not as robust and felt like we had to over-engineer PowerPoint to develop journey maps. Additionally, when our journeys expanded beyond one page, PowerPoint was not built for that experience.

SIMON from Infotronics Business Systems

Simon's Review- Visio

Pros

Visio is really easy to use as it makes the use cases and process flow mirror the actual business ideas on paper.

Cons

Visio is good at transforming user requirements into process flows, easily understood by designers and programmers For the last four years, I have been using Visio, It's really to tell you that there is a problem with it especially in designing business logic and process flows.

Visio is easier to use

Will from Daytona State College

Fantastic for data visualization.

Having used Visio for many years, I find the software to be very reliable and fit for its function. I used to struggle with creating diagrams and charts, but Visio has taken out the hard work to save me a lot of time to focus on other more pressing tasks. It has definitely increased my productivity and overall, I really do love the product.

Pros

I like that Visio takes away the struggle of manually creating diagrams and flow charts with its user-friendly interface. The different tabs available also help to create a nice flow and progression that helps you complete your work quickly. The flexibility of the tool is really good and you are easily able to customize, fonts, colors, data placements etc etc and the end result ends up looking incredibly professional and clean for a piece of software which is so simple to use.

Cons

I am aware Visio only comes for Windows, which I think limits there user pool in terms of Apple users, however I am sure Apple have something similar to this. Some people would also say the price for this is quite high, but I tend to disagree, because it does make your life incredibly easy and the end result it produces is incredible quality.

james from agiorealty

A correct item in the event that you are searching for a vocation in Software Industry

Visio is especially renowned item albeit, so this isn't shock that I am utilizing this application or device since I examined. I have utilizing this application since I have considered in college and doing BCS in software engineering. I have utilize this for various activities in my examinations. At that point I had joined a product house and utilize this sine then as a profession. This item is helpful and giving us the massive information of any unpredictable or simplex procedure. This device give us clear perceivability of each start to finish procedure of obvious graph. This device enables our Business Analyst to group to comprehend the prerequisite and brief to our improvement group. This assistance me a great deal in my initial days as I was likewise the product designer since now I am advancing more as Sr. Framework Analyst this instrument help me more.

Pros

Outline in procedure stream perceivability is astounding . It has tremendous format library which help to any one to details with. This apparatus is much easy to use on the off chance that you think about various instrument. Modules are likewise particularly easy to use and simple to utilize. Gives us the capacity to make flowcharts, charts and system outlines in one simple to utilize application. Bolster people group likewise been awesome and you can discover help on web in all respects effectively. In short its substance store is phenomenal.

Cons

As this item isn't accessible on Linux as we have real application on Linux OS. Furthermore, this is costly item. Further, constrained coordinated effort abilities which need to concentrate more by the Visio group in not so distant future.

Beth

Industry: Writing and Editing

I cut my teeth as a burgeoning graphics artist on Visio

Pros

I began my self-education as a graphics designer (and animator) on Visio. It is extraordinarily easy to use, once you familiarize yourself with the options, what things can do, how to arrange and adjust and manipulate shapes. It was quite easy to learn and some of the clunky features of the earlier Visio versions I was learning on have been improved with time. It's modernized with a ribbon bar and I find it easier to navigate and locate what I'm looking for. It doesn't overwhelm you with so many options with strange names that could intimidate new users, like Photoshop and programs like that can do. Although I'm not a fan of them, there are templates, which I understand can sometimes be balky when trying to use. I always preferred a new blank to work with. (I don't use templates in any of the software programs I have that offer them. It's just my weird thing.) If you can use it for free through your school or work, that's a bonus, because it is on the expensive side, which I'll address under the Cons of Visio.

Cons

As I said above, the price is definitely a factor to consider. And I think the templates aren't always as user friendly as they should be, if you're the kind who uses templates. A lot of the things that I now know, as an experienced graphics designer and animator, were clunky and difficult and needed improvement, actually have been improved over the years, so the clunky, hard to maneuver issues from earlier versions is for the most part gone. There are still areas for improvement and a little imagination, but Visio is a solid, reliable, easy to use program, especially if you can use it for free.

Atahualpa from Telefónica

Excellent diagramming software that has allowed us to perform workflows easily and quickly.

The main benefits of Visio is the ease and speed that allows the work team in the company to translate the action plan steps in a diagrammatic way when we define the operational workflows, simplifying in a feedback diagram what can be done. occupy several pages written in a document with high probability that will not be read by the majority of members of the work team.

Pros

It is a very stable software with time in the market that has been evolving in a fast and positive way, it likes a lot because it has multiple templates defined online, from different areas, in my case I use more than flow diagrams, network diagrams. , Organization charts and Work Breakdown Structure, the latest versions can be opened from the browser. The advantage of making diagrams in visio is that we work on a grid sheet which allows us to order efficiently the components of the system we want to build. Additionally the shortcuts help to optimize the designs because the elements are presented in a visual way.

Cons

Visio presents several points of improvement as it should be the integration to the microsoft office package, because it is acquired with an additional license, which has an impact on Opex increase of our company, also the handling, multilayer must be improved being able to integrate designs of Printed circuit board in an easy way, or simple construction or industrial plans without getting the complexity of CAD software.

Nitin from CAT

Good Tool

Architect diagrams are easy to create and accurate representation of the infrastructure or information

Pros

This is very good tool, it help me to build the infrastructure diagrams and document the details. I can easily get the icons to show acutely and easy to understand

Cons

Connection between two components is sometime tricky need much expertise to do it. Changing a line sometimes messes the diagrams

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Microsoft product can be managed in single license

Pablo from Everis

My Own Experience working with Visio

My overall experience using visio is very good. Thanks to Visio, I have developed many projects where, every step that my programs had to execute was explained perfectly step by step and very detailed. Thanks to Visio I have been able to have a very good overview of my projects, even when I started them without knowing much about them.

Pros

What I like most about using Visio, is that thanks to this software it is possible to design really incredible and intuitive workflows. Very easy to follow thanks to its wide variety of elements, which makes reading the flow much easier and easier compared to other programs. Also, with Visio, we can export the generated work as a PDF, which avoids problems in users who are not used to opening Visio with Internet Explorer.

Cons

If I had to say something bad about Visio, I could not say much, but surely from my point of view, add some type of activity or function that I do not have, such as linking elements of the visio to third-party elements, other than the visio, such as for example a web page, a program, etc. There really isn't much bad in Visio, this is because it is quite simple, but useful software.

Adriana from national electrical corporation

Ideal for diagramming and structuring processes, complete tool for my area

It allows to diagram in an easy way and to show users a simple and easy to understand graphic.

Pros

This tool is useful for me, I need to diagram and show the user the steps without being complex, they are guided quickly because the visual elements are simple. In the area where I work, standards and procedures are made and our indispensable tool to make flow diagrams is Visio, as well as the company's organizational charts, it has an easy-to-use platform, it has pre-designed templates that help me guide me, it allows me to modify it. In a simple way, objects can be dragged and dropped and shapes can be adjusted.

Cons

Actually not much that I dislike about this tool because I use it frequently, there are only things that I would change as more optimal because it makes the computer a bit slow, It seems that it uses a lot more memory than other Office programs, always We require the IT team to help us, it is also a bit expensive.

Lauren from CompuCom

Process Visualizations Made Easy

I am pleased with Visio and would recommend its use to anyone looking for a quality process flow visualization tool. It is easy to pickup and learn and to copy into process or procedure documentation as well. It makes visuals clear, easy to understand and helps users better understand processes enabling training opportunities, risk/control reviews, etc. within an organization.

Pros

I have used this software for almost 8 years in my current role and previous roles. I had little to no experience when I started to use it for process flow creation and was able to pick up the key features and tools within a few days. Along with being easy to use and learn, it is also the best software I have found to create professional and clear process flows. I have created over a hundred using this software and would not choose to use anything else.

Cons

The only thing that is a bit of a nuisance is having to adjust sheet parameters to resize the flow to fit the printable page. The software will automatically expand the selection to flow on another page if needed. If you actually go to save as a PDF or print however, you will see the selection outside of the area and will need to make manual size adjustments to refit to the page or flow appropriately to the next one. If you print or save as a PDF as is, you will find process boxes cut off.

Serge from IMS - Identification Multi Solutions

Industry: Printing

Excellent program for basic drawing or floor plans

Quick diagrams, floor plans and flow charts. Easy interface and well priced for companies.

Pros

In the past we were using more complex software packages such as Autocad or Illustrator to do some basic outline drawing for presale sketching (we're in the printing industry). Although we still use those software now for post sale work, we do a lot of presale stekching with Visio. It is simple, and allows to do up-to-scale plans quickly. I have also used Visio to do floor plans (office design, room dimension design) and although it does not have the visual aspect of some design software available today, it is very efficient in terms of planning for space, door placement, windows, furniture, ... Finally, we also have used Visio for flow charts for our quality system (ISO), and others.

Cons

Slightly expensive for personal use. Otherwise for the intended use, I see no real problem with Visio

Vital to our day-to-day workflow

We cannot be without Visio. it is the most valuable tool in out tool box.

Pros

I love that Visio is so powerful for creating 2D renderings, and yet I can teach it to someone in a matter of hours.

Cons

It is windows based and has stability issues. Microsoft is working out the bugs, but it is sometimes frustrating to have to deal with its limitations. even the 64 bit version is clunky.

Ease of Use, and cost.

Raju from Powergrid Coperation of India ltd

Visio, the drawing tool for Professionals

In daily IT Engineer life, there will be presentation, creating network drawings. For all kind of chart and architectureal drawing it is best option

Pros

It has many built in format for flow chart, organizational chart, network drawings and many more. We can add the missing tools too.

Cons

It's costly, requires bit of training or practice to work on. All kind of equipment or tools model are not present.

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Visio has more feature comparing to Yed.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,952 reviews