• Pros

• "I truly appreciate the support!!! The software is easy to use and flows with my style."

• "Ease of use, considering I'm not a technically experienced person. Very reliable. The tech support has been great! Very responsive."

• "The product is great and especially amazing for Psychological practitioners in America as it is fully compliant. It is easy to use and the customer support is amazing. "

• Cons

• "Online video system was not stellar at the beginning, but they have made improvements. "

• "It can be a bit confusing doing certain activities until you get the hang of it, but support is readily available. "

• "Cost is a little higher than other programs of similar abilities, but those do not come with as clean graphics and ease of use"

Browse CounSol.com Reviews

Jessica from Indy Child Therapist

Small Group Private Practice LIFESAVER

Overall, I am staying with CounSol. It allows me to have a virtually paperless practice and automates things that save me both time and money such as self scheduling and appointment reminders. My client report they like the portal and find it relatively easy to use. Although it is customizable, it again is not the prettiest looking thing, although I haven't had any client complaints about this.

Pros

I love almost everything about CounSol! I used it when I was a solo practitioner and have continued as my company has grown into a group practice. What I like: - Electronic intake forms as well as all other forms - FULLY customizable forms including progress notes - Client self scheduling/ Client portal - Online payments - Calendar sync with phone - Secure messaging- staff and clients - Quick claim submission and ERA reconciliation - Customer service- its amazing really!! - Generally accurate monthly payment reports - Appointment reminders via text, email and phone - I also love that they don't tack on costs for features- it is included in the plan you pick!

Cons

I have been with CounSol long enough that I have been able to see them grow, including them implementing suggestions I have personally made for the EHR. That said there are a few things I still don't like: - the interface itself is not as pretty as some of the other ones out there - there can be a lot of button clicking sometimes (this has improved) - my staff report they do not find it intuitive to use - the way the payment report screen handles refunds (however, if you know how it does, then it is easy to account for- just more button clicking) - Use of Office Ally for clearinghouse, but bc of changes on the part of Office Ally not CounSol - They don't have an app and I dislike the mobile view - Not a monthly all clinician view calendar, but there is a weekly one, but it doesn't show openings, just booked appointments

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

CounSol has the features I need to be truly paperless, has secure messaging and doesn't add on costs for features!

Jill from Free Spirit Counseling

A Successful Decision

Overall, using CounSol.com has been a great benefit to my business. I cannot imagine not having the features that I mentioned above. Each feature has helped my business run more smoothly.

Pros

I spent a lot of time researching various software programs to meet the needs of the new counseling center I was opening. I wanted an all-in-one system that would allow for customization with forms, EHR, online counseling, and billing. One of the features I like about this particular program is the client journal. I have several clients who really like that feature. I had set up a practice client and learned about the ins and outs of the program and decided it was the one for me even though it was a little more expensive than some of the others. I have not regretted this decision, as it has come through well for me.

Cons

There has been great improvement of the online platform over these months of COVID-19, but I feel that there may need to be even more improvement. I sometimes still have to use backup platforms due to issues with the online platform at random times. One thing I would also like is to be able to do groups online using this platform.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

TherapyNotes did not have an online platform included, I had heard from a few others that they really struggled with not being able to easily create custom forms with SimplePractice, CounSol.com seemed more simplistic and user friendly than TheraNest.

Rachel from Rachel W Blogg, LCSW, PA

Lots of positives and can be a much better product with changes

My notes are getting done quicker bc it's easier to get them done, I've realized although it's cheaper and there are some features that are better than my old product, it's not as professional as my old product and doesn't offer as many resources for measures that I would use as a LCSW

Pros

The invoice feature, the ease of calendar, birthday emails,

Cons

The intake measures aren't pulled into the initial intake note. This doesn't create a professional looking intake note like the other system I used. No ability to write a formal short note about a phone session, or missed sessions when you void the invoice you can't document it. Can't send attachments in an email via this site that I don't want to make available to all clients. The billing feature pages are very confusing and can be very overwhelming. The measures offered are limited and personally I don't want to have to input them and/or recreate them and it doesn't allow me to send specific measures to individual clients. It's like a one size fits all with this product.

Alice from Dr. Samantha Dreyer, Psychologist

Everything I Need

It has been FABULOUS!

Pros

Counsol.com is a one-stop shop. I use it for every aspect of my practice management, from scheduling to billing, filing insurance claims and accepting credit cards, patient records, and video sessions. It is very easy to use, and when I do have the occasional question, I can usually find an answer in the user help section. If I can't, I know that if I send a request for help, it will come as fast as they can provide it and always within 24 hours. When I needed to add the video sessions to my account in response to the pandemic, they had me set up in less than a day. Counsol.com is also VERY responsive to suggestions for improving the platform. In the time that I have been using it (about 6 years), they have increased functionality to include "sticky notes" for files and reminders of unfinished progress notes, converted from ICD9 to ICD10 seamlessly, and added Wiley Treatment Planners as an option, just to name a few of the improvements.

Cons

The only thing I'd like to see changed, currently, is a tweak to the video sessions so that they show how much time has elapsed, not just tell me when the session is "supposed" to end.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I chose Counsol.com because it was reasonably priced with a guarantee that my monthly bill would not increase unless I chose to add video sessions (an optional feature which I thought I might one day want, but didn't utilize until the pandemic) for the life of my account, I could access my files in perpetuity, and it was strongly recommended by a colleague who raved about their customer service (which I can also attest to - I love my account manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]).

Claribel from The Therapist PLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Can't say enough good things about Counsol

It's been great I am so glad I subscribe to them I recommend them anytime I am able.

Pros

Counsol is intuitive and pretty easy to learn. I love how this software offers all of the features I need including custom forms, video, chat and phone options. Clients love the ability to log on, complete forms, schedule appointments, communicate on the portal, and they love the journal feature. I really enjoy how I can add users and control what they see. Overall value is excellent they do not have a cap on the amount of clients and there is different tiers that don't change. Their customer service is amazing and they are responsive to customer requests and constantly updating features. Overall great product.

Cons

Maybe because I still don't understand it, the financial reports. I wish they had more flexibility in the kind of reports you could run. Also, you can customize the client portal but I wish there were more than two options. It would also be great if they could offer a feature to "blast" messages via text for when there are crisis like COVID. One thing is that I also wish I could customize statements/invoices.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Because of the integrated features at the time that others did not provide and their price tiers did not cap clients.

Michael from Michael Simpson, Ph.D., P.A.

Glad I switched

My overall experience after signing up for the software has been very good. The only hiccup I have had doesn't have to do with Counsol.com but instead with the individual insurance companies. I have received excellent support from my customer service representative at Counsol.com

Pros

The ease of use across multiple devices has been extremely helpful during the pandemic. The features within the software are intuitive and solved many of the problems I was having using a paper chart. I also liked that the clearing house they use to submit claims has been established in the industry for a long time. The integrated payment options have been a great time saver.

Cons

At first there were a few issues were not working well for me and my practice. This wasn't a problem for the developers at Counsol.com. They have resolved the issues and added features that I asked for. Having an online system is great because the modifications are available right away!

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I found the ease of implementation and also the suburb customer service helped me choose Counsol.com over the other products.

Claire from Freeform Physical Therapy

Counsol for Physical Therapists

Overall, this is product is a great value. My customer service rep is highly responsive, and I hear back from him in 12 hours or less (via email). The platform is relatively easy to use, though the navigation may not be entirely intuitive from the beginning. I would say my experience has been very good.

Pros

It is very convenient for a patient to schedule himself, send a message to the provider, and for the provider to share documents with the patient. It is also nice to have and invoice automatically sent, and for the patient's card on file to avoid any kind of payment delays. It was the best value that I found when shopping for software - I am self employed and have a small practice.

Cons

As a PT, the treatment and evaluation templates aren't useful to me because they are set up for mental health providers. However, I knew that going in and I am private pay only, so I don't have to meet insurance specifications.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

The price fit my current needs and it came recommended by a mentor.

Rebecca from Peace Through Play, LLC

Simple and Easy for what I need

I have been using this system to run my private practice for more than 2 years. I like that all the information is in one place. Patients provide information, forms are easy, billing with a few clicks, secure messaging. Really made my life easier for sure.

Pros

I love how everything I need to run my private practice is in one place.

Cons

The video quality could be better, the lag tends to be problematic at times.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I completed both trial periods and liked CounSol system better.

Brad Morrell from Private Practice

Industry: Mental Health Care

If you select something else, you made the wrong choice!

Customer service is superb.

Pros

By far this is the most user friendly software. I have had hours of research and for the money, there is no other choice. I do not have to worry about extra fees or no customer service being there for me when I need them. This place even took my Word-formatted documents and created electronic forms!

Cons

The only thing that I dislike so far is that the text sent to the client does not allow them to respond in way that adjusts it automatically on my calendar. I wish if they canceled, they did not have to call or text.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Without a doubt, I spent 60 hours researching EHRs and this is the one! I love knowing how much I will pay each month. With other softwares, they nickel and dime you to death! Not CounSol! One fee and it does not go up in price! If you like my review, click here on my referral code. https://counsol.com/site/index/?r=211YPS I promise you won't regret CounSol.

mary from Sapphire Counseling services

New to Private Practice

Pros

As a new business owner I appreciate that so many aspects of business have already been anticipated by the developers. I think the organization of categories is helpful to organizing my new world. I also appreciate the ease of submitting insurance claims. I can access my entire practice from my phone, including contact lists, notes, secure e mails from clients. The support from the sales team has been excellent

Cons

I continue to struggle with moving from certain areas of the program to client overview. I don't always end up where I think I will. It has taken some time to figure out scheduling. At first if I had not designated a time slot for availability I could not put someone in my schedule without going back and re doing all scheduling.There now seems to be an override feature that makes putting people in my schedule much easier.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

The cost was less and the features were essentially the same.

Billie from Joyful Restoration Counseling

Best Software, Superb Customer Service

The customer service meets all expectations that I could have had for a software program! Each client gets a personal account manager that is literally at your service with one phone call, that actually goes to a REAL phone with a REAL person. My account manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], has created documents for me, has walked me through many of the processes of insurance submission, ERA reconciliation, and so much more. This personalized service and "training" that he offered helped me to get comfortable with the program very quickly. He was out of town once when I had sent an email (I had no idea), but my email was answered by a colleague. I so appreciated that I wasn't "left hanging" for the period of time that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was unavailable.

Pros

I did a trial run of five different programs before I chose this particular one. This software has been a game changer in my practice! I love the versatility of being able to create (or have created) my own forms, mental health assessments, and documents at my fingertips AND at my client's fingertips. I love that it has capabilities of an "all in one" program from intake paperwork, to treatment plans, to submission of insurance claims, to account reconciliation, to telehealth calls, to collection of payments...this program literally does it all! Each client gets a personal account manager that is literally at your service with one phone call, that actually goes to a REAL phone with a REAL person.

Cons

I feel that the client portal is lacking in visual appeal and user friendliness. I often have clients who log into their portal, but then cannot "find" the things they are needing to complete or where to pay their invoices. I also feel the program is a bit pricey, as many features are an "add on" and you have to pay "per user". When you have multiple users and expect to add more to your practice, this can get quite expensive pretty quickly. There is a learning curve with the program that was a little tougher than I expected it to be considering my extensive computer skills background, but the customer service made the learning curve feel much less overwhelming.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

all of the reasons listed above

Meredith from Meredith Wilson LCSW, PC

Gold Standard for Practice Management Software

Pros

I have used CounSol for several years to manage all the functions of my private psychotherapy practice (scheduling, appointment reminders, notes, billing, claim filing). I recommend it to every single colleague that I encounter who is either looking for recommendations for practice management software or is unhappy with their current option. I find the interface intuitive, straight forward, and the technical support when I have a question is abolutely stellar. I have had the same direct contact at CounSol for 3 years and they respond FAST! It is also fully customizable and you can enable or disable all the different options depending on what works best for you at the time. My clients are also happy with it as they use it to complete consent forms, enter biopsychosocial history info, get appointment reminders, and for the past several months have been using it as platform for Telehealth with great results.

Cons

I don't like that clients have to change password/get locked out after 60 days of inactivity but I understand why that is important for security purposes.

Ericka from Mind Over Matter Professional Counseling, PLLC

The Best Hands Down

Overall, I love Counsol and have been using them for over 3 years now. I recommend it to all of my friends in the mental health field. It is so easy to use and the price is amazing. LOVE LOVE LOVE this product!

Pros

I love how easy it is to customize, understand and train staff to learn and understand how to use the features. The price point is fantastic for the quality and amount of features.

Cons

I wish that some of the information that I can see was not accessible to the clinicians that work for my company. EX: The rate of service when booking a client or for them to input the CPT codes, just little things like that. I also wish there was an automated To Do List. EX: As soon as I have held a scheduled session with a client, the system would remind me to complete the progress note, billing, treatment plan etc.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Best price for the product. Excellent support staff. I can still call my rep and he helps even after 3 years. We have become almost friends.

Evan from At Water's Edge Counseling

BEST EHR for Counselors!

They have excellent customer service and are quick to answer questions and help however possible. They are fast via email and you have the option to call too. They are open to customer feedback and often update the software to incorporate many of our ideas.

Pros

Everything. It has changed so much over the last several years and only gets better. I love the text reminders, secure emails, ease of scheduling, use of treatment plans and the ability for the client to e-sign them...the income graphs, birthday reminders, ability to scan/upload and attach documents and pictures/art, credit card storage, insurance billing...there is so much to love!

Cons

Lack of progress note specifically for play therapists (but there is an option to create your own).

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Cost and it was recommended

Dana from Fulfillment Counseling & Life Coaching PLLC

Excellent software for Private Practice of all sizes

I'm more efficient in my communication due to secure emailing capabilities. I don't wrestle with scheduling questions/needs because the software is intuitive and allows people to address these things independently. I feel more connected to clients through their ability to compose and share journal entries between sessions. I have zero worries about being HIPAA compliant for video sessions. Further, I can easily access all the information I need from anywhere.

Pros

I can't rave enough about all the ways in which this software has streamlined the work I do, allowing me to focus my energy where it's needed most - treating my clients! I never have to return calls for scheduling issues because Counsol handles all of that. Likewise, I never have to worry about getting consents signed and assessments completed because clients can easily access it from the platform.

Cons

It took me a bit of time to learn how to set up my designated hours and change such, but the customer service has been sensational - prompt, thorough, and will take suggestions for improvement.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Counsol came highly recommended during my telemental health trainings, and I wanted a reliable platform to be able to securely and safely offer video sessions.

Tammy from Forward Thinking Perspectives PLLC

Industry: Military

I've tried the rest and this is still the best

My overall experience has been great. The customer service has been outstanding and very responsive.

Pros

I am able to take homework assignments and create forms for the clients to fill out right on the portal and not have to print out or download unless they want to. Billing is simple and easy. Clients can schedule their own appointments on thru the portal. The video sessions have been free of glitches most of the time and considering myself and most of my clients are in very rural areas that has been good. Intakes, treatment agreements, consent, privacy policies, etc able to be filled out and signed on client portal. client's report paying through client portal is easy and they are able to do it the day of their appointment before session. One price for unlimited reminders, active clients, claims, etc.

Cons

I do wish there was an app for myself and the clients but I am hopeful that will happen in the future.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Because of all the reasons above. I also tried free trials of all of the above about a year and half ago to see if there was something better than CounSol.com and determined that CounSol best meets my needs and is the most affordable. Even though CounSol.com uses Office Ally and they charge if you have mostly medicaid it is still the best value for everything I want and need and comes in less expensive for me than ones that charge extra for active clients, reminders, etc.

Tammy from Tammy Whitten, MS, CFLE, LMFT, PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Most features, best price, easiest to use

I haev saved time and money, been able to reduce no-shows because of reminders sent to my clients, been able to recoup losses for no-shows because of the ability to integrate a credit card system (that's low cost) where clients are required to keep a card on file (secure, meeting Federal standards) that I can run if they do not show up. I would keep going, but my next therapy appointment just walked in! Got to go! I can't recommend them enough.

Pros

I have been with Counsol for 5 years. It's like having my own administrative assistant. It has freed up more time (for me to fill with other things, lol). When I first looked for software, I signed up for free trials and even made a chart comparing the features. Counsol has the most features then, and continues to have them now. You can use Counsol as your website, since it has the ability to add pages on your portal that are visible to the public. Just buy your name as a domain name and then point it towards your Counsol URL. You can select which options show up on forms, create your own forms, tweak treatment plans, decide what clients can and can't access, provide teletherapy, upload handouts and mp3s for your clients by topic (couples, parenting, ADHD, depression, etc.). You also have your own personal account representative. I have had the same one since I started. Each time I have a question, I get a prompt response back from him. If there's a problem, he works to find out what's going on and they troubleshoot with the software team to find solutions. They are also open to ideas and feedback and since I have used them, they have continued to add more features and capabilities. You can create users to have access to certain aspects of the software, so others can do scheduling or billing for you. I can't give enough kudos!

Cons

Until recently, the video software has been in need of some updating. But they have worked to develop an even better platform for distance therapy. It's currently being finalized and I am excited to test it out ASAP!

Amy from Life in Balance Counseling Center

Industry: Mental Health Care

Complete and easy to use.

As a solo practitioner, my focus and skills are on providing therapy, not billing, records, and all the time consuming office "stuff" - this program makes those things so easy, I actually did not need keep the biller I hired before finding Counsol. The assigned support staff you get when you signed up is amazing - they truly know you, and respond immediately to help with anything you have questions about and respond to suggestions, often getting them incorporated into the software. That alone surpassed my experiences with other companies I have dealt with previously.

Pros

I wanted a program that let me go paperless and allowed clients flexibility to schedule. The client portal is amazing- I get compliments from clients every month about how they like the portal and found it so easy to use and navigate. That clients can schedule, reschedule, cancel appts as needed keeps my schedule fuller, with less cancellations and no shows. I don't have to spend hours returning calls, trying to reschedule, making appointments etc. I have my intake paperwork included so no more awkward rushing to fill out forms at the start of a session. The billing side of the software submits claims in 2 clicks, enters the ERA's in one. Literally it takes seconds to complete.

Cons

The interface is easy but looks a bit dated. The calendar views are limited and it lacks things like a automatic to do list to keep you up on tasks. You can upload your own forms but there are no included templates for even basic requirements such as HIPAA. They do continue to update and add features, but it makes getting to some features a bit clunky and some features can be quite slow when pulling up info. Clients cannot upload documents, such as copies of insurance cards, so the clinician still needs to do so. There is no app - and the mobile version for phones can be difficult to navigate.

Fantastic practice management

This system does almost everything required to manage my existing clients. It's very easy to use and I like being able to see the current day's schedule and monthly overview from the summary page. Sometimes I don't even take my computer to the office - I just use my iPad. I'm also very pleased with the mobile phone version of the website - it's especially convenient to send username reminders and password resets directly from my phone since I'm usually away from the computer when those requests come through.

Pros

It has a client portal, it's easy to use from both the client and administrator side. It includes scheduling, billing, secure communication, and recording keeping all in one place. The company is very responsive to user issues and suggestions for new functionality. The product keeps improving. It encourages good record keeping by showing icons or plus signs to indicate if there are treatment plans for clients and notes for completed sessions.

Cons

Creating new forms can be cumbersome but my account manager offered to upload my form data from the back-end so I just had to make minor adjustments. I wish that my clients could either upload documents or add attachments to mail messages within the portal. The announcement function (basically an email blast) sends an email to the client stating that they have a message in the portal. Since users get locked out if it's been 2-3 months since their last login, I get a barrage of password reset requests everything I send out an announcement. From the user perspective I think they would like to at least see the title of the message in the notification email, even if they have to log in to see the full message.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I had been using FullSlate for online scheduling and that functionality was a must-have in choosing an EHR. When I was looking for a system (in 2013) many of the EHRs in my price range either did not include or had very primitive client portals. Some of the systems I reviewed did not work well in certain web browsers. CounSol seemed to work regardless of browser. CounSol was very intuitive and easy to navigate which is why I chose them initially. Their excellent customer service, the ease of use for my clients, the user-friendly design, and the continual addition of functionality are why I stay with CounSol.

Lilyan from Spectrum Counseling

Best Value for the Money

This is a great software. It’s quite user-friendly. Compared to competitors, Counsol is the best value for the money for me. I do a fair amount of insurance billing. Counsol submits claims for free through Officeally, unlike competitors who do their own electronica claim submission and charge money for each claim submitted. However, officeally is not ideal for me. I have contacted Counsol’s customer service to see if they might look into linking Availity into their insurance billing. I use Availity to file Regence payments, since Regence is no longer a “Payer” provider in OfficeAlly ( meaning I would have to pay if I filed claims through them). Counsol’s customer service was not willing to take my suggestion into consideration. They simply replied that Officeally was the best. So now I’m having to use more than one system to do my billing, but at least it’s still all free, unlike other practice management software.

Pros

Customer services tops. I always get a response within a few hours. All billing is done through Office Ally, which means that many claims are filed for free, unlike Simple Practice, which charges $.25 per claim, or Therapy Notes, which charges $.14 per claim. Counsol also doesn’t charge for appointment reminders.

Cons

Depending on what features you use, counsol could actually the same price or more expensive as other billing software, (if you’re not using insurance billing). Definitely compare prices closely before you choose a software.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

The number one reason was that it was personally recommended to me by a friend. Also, at the time, Counsol was the most cost-effective option. However, it’s monthly price is actually the same price or more expensive than other EHRs.

Deirdre from Deirdre Staton, LCSW, PLLC

A Game Changer!

I have loved CounSol since I started using this practice management system in 2014 and have only grown to appreciate it and the people behind the scenes more and more. Not only does it simplify my life and​ practice but my clients are pleased and complimentary as well. I recently contracted with another clinician to serve as records custodians for one another in the event of death or impairment. As part of this process, we were educating each other on our practice management platforms. She uses Simple Practice so I signed up for a free trial to familiarize myself with it. In web reviews, these systems look very comparable but I found Simple Practice to be lacking visually and was surprised at the absence of some features such as sending out a secure group announcement to all clients (e.g, if going on vacation, posting revised policies, etc.). I did not make an inventory of the differences in Simple Practice and CounSol as I was not planning to write a review. However, I did come away from the experience with renewed conviction that I had chosen the best system!

Pros

* Variety of features, options/customizability​ especially compared to other practice management programs * Ease of use and my own rapidly responding, personal account manager to consult when needed--I'm still trying to figure out if he ever goes home or takes a vacation! * Automatically generated reminders and invoices sent to clients * Ease of scheduling for clients online if they wish * Mobile accessibility for clients but also myself when I need to manage details outside of the office * The visual design and ease of navigating * The company's dedication to continually improving their system and their responsiveness to suggestions

Cons

I can't identify any dislikes but have found myself wanting automatically generated reminders if a progress note is not completed as I've had this with other electronic health records. Such a feature can be a lifesaver for those irritatingly fallible human moments we all have occasionally.

Wendy from Greater Potomac Counseling, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

CounSol was the best choice, by far

Pros

I evaluated several EHR options when I started my solo therapy practice. I decided to give CounSol a trial, and I was hooked within a day. The customer service literally can't be beat. Upon my first phone call, I was assigned an IT representative, whom I can reach *directly* via e-mail or phone. No phone trees. No voicemail. No waiting. He helped me set up the system exactly the way I wanted it, including customizing forms and other components. He has responded promptly to questions, helped me fix mistakes I've made, and passed along suggestions to the development team -- ALL of which were implemented within days. CounSol was wonderful when I began using it, and it keeps getting better all the time. It has all the features I need, and more. I've recommended CounSol to colleagues, and every one of them is glad to be using this system. Of all the options out there, CounSol is the most comprehensive, versatile and customizable. And beyond all of that, the personalized IT service literally can't be beat. I'll never switch!!

Cons

Because CounSol is so comprehensive, there was a bit of a learning curve at the beginning and it felt somewhat overwhelming. However, my IT rep walked me through every step at the beginning and responded immediately to questions (no matter how trivial!) as I learned the system. I've never experienced customer service like I have with CounSol. That alone is worth every penny. Moreover, the development team continues to make CounSol increasingly user-friendly and intuitive as time goes on. I really love this system.

Jonathan from MarriageEnvy

Counsol is the most flexible of all the private practice platforms I tested.

Pros

One of the main selling points for me was the client portal. All the other ones that had portals required that the clinician approve the appointment request, with no other option. Why? I don't need more steps in my already busy schedule. And my clients, like any customer, want simple confirmations for their busy schedule instead of waiting to hear back so they can then make other adjustments for their schedule. I'm not a big fan of two steps when one does the job. My clients REALLY like being able to schedule this way and not have to play phone tag with me, nor wait for a confirmation. Flexibility and customization is a big selling point for me with Counsol. I don't bill insurance and I don't use the OMR feature--I still go old school paper charts. While most may not need this option, with Counsol I can still use it fully for robust scheduling, billing, and payment processing without having to enter progress notes and treatment plans--most of the other ones i tested required that you also use it for notes. That for me would've caused additional steps to enter notes when I already have a paper record. Again, less = better, and flexible customization = better. Customer support has always been VERY responsive, personal, and helpful. Overall, what I liked most is that Counsol is the most flexible of all the private practice platforms I tested, and I tested at least 10 of the most popular.

Cons

Concerns: Many actions give the option to select if you want to send info about that action to the client. I would like to be able to change the default setting for the whole system to "do not send to client" rather than having to select that option each time. Again, less steps = better. Wish could print billing statements that fit in #9 double window billing envelope--which is pretty standard billing practice. I've been told that is not an option, and while yes I can email statements that's not how my practice functions. So, when I mail invoices to third party payers (for me mostly clergy as I don't work with insurances at all), I have to print out the invoice AND an additional piece of paper with my return address and the recipients address formatted for that type of envelope. Again, this is a standard envelope that any program that includes billing uses. I would love to have that feature added. Minor concern: The interface isn't as polished/slick as some of the others out there. I think some more in-depth exploration there with users would be valuable.

Tammy from Tammy Whitten, MS, LMFT, CFLE, PLLC

All-in-one service

I have saved so much time with scheduling thanks to Counsol. That alone is worth the monthly fee for me. It's also given me back a lot of time spent communicating with clients via phone, text, and emails. Now I can point them to one place and it makes like easier for them and for me! Throughout the time I have used them, they have continued to add more features. You can have other team members who help with billing or scheduling or other needs to access only the parts of the portal that they need- without sacrificing client privacy. Using Counsol has been the single best decision I've made for my practice!

Pros

I love that I can do so much with Counsol, and the features continue to evolve. I am going into my 5th year with them and it has made my life so much simpler. I am not only able to have client complete the paperwork beforehand, but they an schedule and get reminders for their appointments, too. One feature that I especially love is the ability to add handouts and other helpful info inside the portal. I have recorded relaxation mp3s, designed sheets to help them work through thoughts, handouts to help with grief, and relationship assessments. I have them organized into folders, and then I can assign certain folders to appear for the clients. Then, in our sessions, I can show them how to use those tools when they are outside of session, and they find them to use again and again. I have my own representative who contacts me whenever I have a question. He is fast and helpful.

Cons

I wish that the video feature worked on phones instead of just laptops. It's also best when both parties use earbuds or headphones to help with echoing.

Mary from Mary Moonen, LCSW, CAP

My experience with trying Counsol

It's excellent . I have already told my peers about it. FIRST, it puts a much more professional touch to services from the very beginning! They can fill out the specific forms that you require, such as consent and Hippa forms, client data, they can fill out own biopsychosocial, so it has already saved me time, it is much easier as some clients have illegible writing. It is much better for me, because my writing isn't the best and it looks so much more professional. The notes are secure but client can access their records through their own secure portal, which is in keeping with many other medical offices. TX plans are easier as the standard measurable goals and interventions are included and can be individualized. The Ind progress notes are very easy and cover what most insurances would need to know, plus they are always a good reminder to cover all the basics each visit. So, it ok me a bit longer and I had more anxiety as I am " old school" but the support staff was great and it is well worth the money for time saved and professionalism. If people are already tech savvy then it's a walk in the park and a no-brainer to use! Lastly I picked this software because even though there was other software application available for therapists, most did not have a HIPPA compliant for Telemental Health. It gives me 9eace of mind that I can prove I am doing everything I can to keep all communications confidential, and the client feels better with it as well. Great product great service!

Pros

The support staff has been extremely friendly and helpful, as well as patient! I am not a very tech-savvy person at all but knew I wanted to go digital with records. I also recently got certified for Telemental health and needed a HIPPA secure platform, so I set it up. They promised me excellent customer service and said I could call as many times as needed to get training, and he would book a full hour session with me! I needed several sessions and that's only because as said I am not tech savvy, but NOW that has gotten the swing of things it has already made my office management, documentation a lot easier!

Cons

Actually I don't like the "WHODAS" lable I understand is called that as far as measuring disability, but sounds weird to clients, and some tend to skip it though it's very simple. I would reword it to " Disability Screening Tool" and then in parentheses, write out the official name if screening as it is a widely used and recognized tool, but hard for clients to unduid they are seeing me for depression why am I asking them to fill out a questionnaire about how long they can stand or sit, then they skip the whole thing even though there is relevant content on emotional well being.

Robert from New Perspectives

Comprehensive therapy practice software

I am pleased with my choice of CounSol.com. It's my first EHR and I don't imagine switching to another. It seems to do almost everything I want it to do and, since customer service is so responsive, I'm confident that they will be able to implement many of my suggestions over time.

Pros

Covers all aspects of practice management including scheduling, documentation, and billing. It's a HIPAA-compliant interface that includes secure video sessions (for a small additional monthly charge). A secure client portal is included, allowing clients to manage their own sessions, pay their bills, and send secure messages to you. It's possible to upload and/or create your own forms/assessment measures within the software and specify which clients receive them and when. You can share session notes with clients securely. Clients can journal within the system and choose to share it with you. It also includes your own referral page at counselorlisting.com at no additional charge. Session reminders via text, email, and/or recorded telephone message are included at no charge. Insurance billing is built into the software to make it easier to submit claims and increase your revenue. Session notes include check boxes and drop-down menus, which speed documentation time. You are assigned a customer service representative, who I have found to be *excellent* in helping me learn the software and troubleshoot difficulties. You can potentially reduce your monthly bill to nothing ($0/month!) by using referral code GMCSCU when you enroll and then referring others to their software.

Cons

If you're new to setting up EHR software, the learning curve can be pretty steep. There are so many things to set up and so much that the software can do that it feels pretty overwhelming initially, to be honest. Documentation is generally pretty comprehensive and my customer service representative have been able to help me through this, though. The interface isn't immediately intuitive and can feel somewhat clunky. Despite excellent functionality, the icon choices are (in my opinion) a bit cheesy in appearance. Initial setup of banking, insurance panels, credit card processing takes some time. Setting up forms for clients to complete is a nice option, but is somewhat laborious. Formatting options are limited. Not currently possible to have forms scored automatically. Very few preconfigured assessment tools included.

Alison from Alison Jedrick, LCSW

Industry: Mental Health Care

HIPAA Compliant video platform with EHR and personal customer support!

It has everything I need for a small practice- I could even do my billing through it but I have a long-standing relationship with my biller and will try to keep her until I retire because I'm sentimental like that. It does let me invoice directly and get paid through the site. Some of my clients have had difficulty using the platform for video counseling and journaling, but this is usually easy to resolve or related to their hardware/ wifi. The only reason I give 4 stars for customer support is that tech support is not 24/7 and video counseling can be after hours. Clients cannot access tech support directly due to confidentiality. I love the scheduling feature because it allows you to schedule recurring appointments with versatility to the client's needs, and allows options for updates on all recurrences when changes are made. I have asked for a document to share with clients for troubleshooting. Jonathan has been very helpful with translating my forms into easy-to-complete web forms for my clients, and very responsive to my questions and requests. I hope in the future CounSol will offer additional or premium options like uploads for Qliq (or a phone app with HIPAA compliant texting), rating scales offered to the client upon each login for sessions (You can do this now but have to have them created, and assign for each session), and an option that does allow you to print notes using less paper in the event hard copies are required. It's a great EHR for a solo mental health practitioner, and the price is affordable with quality service.

Pros

Built-in video, HIPAA-compliant w BAA, Jonathan (personal assigned CSR), Ability to customize forms and share with clients, upload attachments and save to a specific client.

Cons

When I have to print, the forms use way too much paper even double sided. Clients can't call customer service if they are having trouble connecting, leaving it to me to do troubleshooting, which is tough afterhours. It doesn't happen often, but I would like more troubleshooting resources available for the client. I also don't understand the full fee/ copay thing- are they charged for both? Is it the negotiated rate for their insurance company or my full rate? I just want them to be able to pay their copay online because I don't currently use the platform for billing.

Cliff from North Valley Counseling

Great Practice Software & Great Support

I have used CounSol for about 2 years now. It is well worth the money. Some of the ways I use it: I created custom intakes which all client's fill out in the encrypted portal before the first visit (if I see something concerning, I'm able to contact the client before our first visit, plus I already have an idea about what to expect). Client's also electronically sign HIPPAA, Informed Consent, Policies, etc. I am able to create labels for clients such as "couple" "minor" etc., so that the system automatically assigns certain forms or resources to be available just to those clients. Client's often schedule on line, saving us all time and the reminder emails/texts help my clients to show up and help me look professional. One of the greatest features is that the portal colors, fonts, etc. are easily customized so that the portal matches my website and logo and it doesn't say "CounSol" anywhere. This gives the impression that it's in house and not just a service. Then there is all the billing (customized invoices, super bills, printing 1500 insurance claims), private encrypted messaging, progress notes/psychotherapy notes, interactive calendar, etc., etc., I also can download everything and store pass-word protected files just in the event that something goes very wrong (which won't happen because CounSol has redundancy, but I like the extra security and knowing that I can access records without a connection). Now, I've saved the best for last! If I get stuck, I can call and customer service is usually right there or call back very soon! For me that is the biggest reason I made the switch from another service. If I'm stuck, I need help, just like my clients! I embrace technology, but need a human being to aid me if I don't understand. Give it a shot and I think you won't look back!

Pros

Flexible & Easily Customized Great Customer Support Private Labeled (doesn't mention CounSol to clients)

Cons

No real cons. I sometimes find little things I wish were different and if I let them know and it makes sense for everyone, they have actually added the feature. Pretty Cool yeah?

Tammy from Tammy Whitten, MS, LMFT, CFLE, PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great streamlined my private practice

After years of being in private practice, I could tell that I was getting close to burn out. Like most of us, I am the therapist, the janitor, the office manager, the marketing team, and everything in between. It was just too much on me. At the suggestion of a friend, I started looking at scheduling software. I searched online and ran across several different options, and even tried them out. I found one that I liked, but it was designed for hair salons and similar business. I made notes of my favorite features and then started another search once I realized that electronic records and scheduling systems were actually within my cost point. I had no idea what was possible before. I still have the piece of paper somewhere in my stack where I sat down with all of the various software programs I found that were designed with therapists in mind. I wrote down all of the features and then bubbled in which programs had which features. Counsol was the only one that had all of the features that I needed. Client scheduling, reminders, records, and a way to complete all paperwork online before the session, check. A way to integrate credit card/online payments and to work seamlessly with my website, check. A way to conduct sessions via secure electronic means inside the system (so no one has to download special programs), check. A place for me to store common worksheets that I share with clients, and even to set it up so clients only get access to those things that pertain to their treatment, check. A way for clients to download Superbills to share with their insurance companies, check. A way to share notes with clients on what to do between sessions, check. A place for me to privately share my reflections to help keep me on track, check. A journal option for clients that allows them to record their thoughts between sessions and to decide whether or not to share it with me, check (no one else has this to my knowledge and my clients absolutely adore it). A way to block clients from being able to schedule at certain times, or to only allow certain session lengths or types (phone, video, etc.), check. Everything with Counsol has been perfect. Once the tech team made an upgrade that wasn't my favorite. I contacted Jonathan and within hours, they had made it possible for me to go back to the other way. I can't say enough good things. They have made my life much easier for the past few years. I can't imagine functioning without them. I now have peace of mind!

Pros

All of the features (my clients love it, too). I can make announcements about dates I am out of office or reminders on the log-in page so clients can all be made aware of changes, etc.

Cons

Not all of the features are available in the mobile version (but I just click "full site" and I can access them easily that way.

Holly from C.A.T.S. LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Best value you will find, ease of use and the additional text message reminders are worth it alone!

I have been using CounSol for a few years now and it has made my life so much easier. Online scheduling, the ability to have clients complete their forms prior to their intake appointment speeds things up. Also the ability to track everything; progress notes are easier, forms are easier, filing is easier. This was our first venture away from paper files and I can honestly say I have been more than impressed. There are a few things I would still like to see first and foremost the ability to have more than one clinician on a single account. I am a small agency whom employs another counselor only part time so all of the entering and tracking on the system still has to be done by me; the account owner. Also, you are assigned a single account manager -where I could see could be very beneficial. However, sometimes I feel the one I have been assigned isn't always the most professional or courteous. I have taken to making my requests on their help page if I absolutely cannot find the answer under FAQ's. Overall, however; this is a wonderful program and has helped my business keep up in the world of technology. My clients love the text message and email reminders about appointments and for the price you won't find anything better!!

Pros

Ease of use. Ability to have clients complete paperwork ahead of time, text message reminders, ability to send announcements to all clients, how organized it keeps my files, ease of progress notes

Cons

Inability to have multiple counselors on one account and being supplied only one account manager, could be fantastic but I am slightly intimidated by mine and don't know how to switch

Heather from Center for Sexual Health and Rehabilitation

Simplifies my practice

Switching to counsol has made managing my private practice much easier. Customer support has been very responsive and the developers have implemented many of my suggested changes. The other development changes that have been made have all been imprints improvements and made this a very flexible and robust system. The free initial setup input all of my client intake forms, and then I was able to go into those forms and improve them in order to take advantage of the technology. I have also copied and modified those forms for individual clients, as needed. Modification and customization is very easy and intuitive for me. These features were much better than some of the very expensive systems I encountered during my search. My clients love the ease-of-use, and that we don't need to spend time on forms or payment during our sessions. They also love receiving appointment reminders (which I send out on their cancelation cutoff day). Some of my clients enjoy using the journaling feature, which allows them to choose whether or not they share an entry with me. I mainly use the system for scheduling, billing, and collecting client intake documents. The integrated scheduling and billing features have been major accounting time savers for me, and having secure credit card storage in the system means that I don't have to worry about billing clients, and I have a way to confirm appointments with credit cards (especially virtual sessions), as well as charge clients for late cancelation, according to my cancelation policy. I still take notes on paper, as I prefer not to be typing during my clinical sessions. However, in order to keep client files as required by law yet manage paper in my office, I have been scanning and uploading closed client files to CounSol as attachments, and then shredding the paper. One downside was that one of the main features I hoped to use when selecting a system was the video chat feature. I have not found that to be reliable. It might be because of my Windows 8 operating system or drivers, but the customer support for that feature was lacking. I have been a user for over 3 years now, so perhaps that has improved along with the other features. Other than that, the system is perfect for me and a major time, money and space saver. I can't imagine life without it now. Thank you!

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility, support.

Cons

Video chat feature and support needs improvement

Kate from Supporting Wellness and Growth

Counsel is fantastic

I am in private practice, and did not want the expense of an office manager. When I found Counsol I was more than excited as it was an office manager, and so much more. I love that we do not have to have paper files, and we no longer have the expense of needing extra storage. All of my fellow practitioners use Counsol and love it. Our clients often remind us how they like that they can book online, cancel and reschedule without having to wait for a call back. It has saved our practice a lot of money and time as it caters to our every need. Thank you Counsol for putting such a great program together. I honestly do not know what we would do without it.

Pros

Booking Online, Invoicing, and that my files are all in one spot

Cons

I think because we are in Canada some of the information does not relate to us across the border. It is also costs more money then other programs I have seen and it would be great if there was a better bundle plan for clinics that have many clinicians. The feedback from my staff has been that when they need assistance or help it has been difficult to get immediate assistance, or no follow through. They end up figuring it out, but it would be nice if there was a call in number for general questions or assistance perhaps.

Clifton from CH Fuller & Associates

Industry: Mental Health Care

CounSol is excellent HIPAA-compliant program for mental health providers

Increased ability to track income (daily, weekly, monthly, custom dates). Increased ability to allow new clients to register easily with all paperwork completed ahead of scheduling an appointment.

Pros

We have used it since 1/2018 and continue to enjoy its ease of use, ability for clients to schedule 24/7, and our ability to track income. We've made recommendations and CounSol team reviewed and implemented several, which we appreciated (such as Happy Birthday notices to clients). Clients submit complete intakes online prior to the session, secure pmt billing info (that we or our staff don't keep or have access to but 3rd party encrypted site manages). That translates into more actual counseling time with clients and payment for sessions at the beginning of each day (& notification if payment didn't go thru so client is contacted for updated info, that is verified, prior to their session. The video and phone counseling links are excellent, as is the ability for clients to schedule weeks in advance. Multiple methods of reminders send 24, 36 or 48 hrs prior to sessions (text, email and automated voice) which clients can select as to notifications they prefer. Great support team who respond immediately or within hours. This program has improved the operations of our practice greatly!

Cons

The only negative we'd have is that setting up the forms (intakes) doesn't allow choice of font size, so the intakes are more pages than we'd like, due to font and layout spacing that we are unable to change. Other than that...we're very happy with the program and have recommended it to other mental health professionals we know.

Mary from Mary E Rich LLC

Love new updates

Benefits for scheduling and intake forms and billing.

Pros

Scheduling features. Reminders to client which they can choose preferences. New options and updates have been thoughtful to users and clients. Customer service is fast efficient effective and empathetic

Cons

Inability to have 2 emails for divorced parents that do not agree to share one log in. However, with new update news this was explained why it is not recommended to have two users for same client.

Ease of use.

Amy from Amy Bacani, Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist Inc

Overall great experience with Counsol

Moving to electronic health records through CounSol.com has allowed me to access clients' charts when it's urgent, whether to access their contact information if I need to cancel unexpectedly, or even to locate a client's address when I needed to send emergency services to a client's home. Paper charts would have meant driving to my office to find such information.

Pros

I love the appointment reminders for clients, which helps to improve appointment attendance. I also love that Counsol is always adding updates, like recently offering Wiley treatment plans for an additional fee. This makes my charting so much easier and more streamlined. The interface is user-friendly and fairly intuitive once you get set up.

Cons

There are a few forms I'd like to be able to edit, like the psychosocial form, especially when I am seeing a child or adolescent. I'd like to be able to tailor the forms specifically for the client I'll be seeing.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Choice of credit card processor meant more competitive rates; Locked in price

Dee from Crowspeak, LLC

Great business asset!

Pros

While I have been using parts of Counsol.com's features for many years, when the Covid-19 was coming at us like a train, I had to completely change my approach to providing my clients the support services they needed. I was able to pack up my practice, move out of my town office and reconstitute my practice at home, LITERALLY OVERNIGHT. Paper systems that I had had in place for 20 years had to be replaced with electronic systems. New paperwork had to be uploaded overnight for clients to sign. The only things that didn't change were me and the dog in the office. Without Counsol.com's multiple features and amazing support staff, I could not have provided uninterrupted services to my clients. WELL DONE COUNSOL.COM!

Cons

The change in accounting programs was the most challenging and nerve-wracking part. Nobody likes to have uncertainty about their finances, especially when it involves keeping track of insurance submissions, adopting a whole new payment system, and a change in software that you have to master quickly. While Counsol.com's system and my brain were clearly on different pages, the support staff was SO PATIENT and HELPFUL and RESPONSIVE to my pleas for help and easily untangled several issues that resulted from my insufficient understanding of how to use the accounting software. It would be helpful to have training videos on how to use the accounting features.

Pamela from Chrysalis Coaching & Counseling Services LLC

Outstanding customer support

Pros

I have tested and used 3 different client management softwares and Counsol provided the best customer service for the price I pay. The actual software interface could be better (I prefer Therapynotes for ease and look) but I chose Counsol for being able to contact them for any questions I have and their prompt replies.

Cons

Not as intuitive and I feel there are too many steps to process a claim

Pricing and customer support

Best Solution for Our Practice

We have been using CounSol for almost 5 years. It's been the best all in one solution for us. CounSol handles everything - billing, patient management, progress notes and treatment plans, online portal, video conferencing... Customer Service is downright excellent - super responsive and we've had the same support person since the beginning. Highly recommend.

Pros

Easy to use, short learning curve, great price, meets ALL of our needs. We looked at a lot of options that were way more expensive and didn't have the features CounSol offers. The ability for our clients to book and pay through the client portal (a lot of similar solutions do NOT allow clients to pay through the portal), the ability to use our merchant account and not being restricted to Stripe or similar - so we get better rates on our credit card processing. Love that we have the ability to customize our client portal with our logo and branding. And so many other customizable features - just can't say enough good things.

Cons

We don't like the lack of a mobile application - which CounSol has promised is coming. It's getting to be more of an issue for us because our online counseling with families and teens is increasing. We hope that this technology is available soon or sadly, we will be forced to find another product. The only other thing I would say is that the overall look could be more modern. But what it lacks in that area it more than makes up for in functionality.

Jennifer from MindSpring Counseling & Consultation

Industry: Mental Health Care

Counsol.com is my administrative assistant

I have encountered one or two glitches in the 5 or 6 yrs I have had counsol.com. Each time, my concern was addressed timely and professionally. This is a system I can rely upon.

Pros

Initially, I liked the fact that I could purchase by the month. After using this software for years, I really like that my account has 1 dedicated tech/customer service rep. I like the ease of use of this software. There are very few technical “glitches” so I feel my data is very safe with Counsol.com.

Cons

Overall, I would rate the intuitiveness of the software about a 7 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highly intuitive. That said, once I learned the system, it is very reliable and makes sense to me. You can get a financial report of income daily, weekly, monthly, yearly or any timeframe you request. I wish more statistical reports were available but what is offered is definitely enough for my accountant.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Price and features were better.

Myra from Myra Gueco Bernecker, Ph.D.

Industry: Mental Health Care

Get paid faster and add more hours to your day.

Love it! Customer service is the absolute best. It's added more hours to my day,

Pros

Customer service is superb. CounSol assigns you to an account manager, so you have the same person to train and help you with trouble shooting. I don’t have to wait days to get my urgent issue or question answered. My account manger gets back to me right away. The system was very easy to learn. I didn't have to rely on videos or attend group webinar trainings. Creating forms on Counsol was simple because all I needed to do was send the forms to my account manager. Of course I had to spend time making adjustments to the forms, but I didn't have to go through training to learn how to create and upload them. If you use outcome measures or questionnaires like the PHQ9 or GAD7 that require simple scoring, Counsol added a feature that adds scores, which minimizes calculation errors and saves time. My patients use the self scheduling feature of the Calendar easily. Because I send claims daily to insurance companies, Counsol’s system in creating, sending, and reconciling claims is easy. Denied claims are rare because mistakes are caught quickly and are easy to correct and resend; all of which making getting paid faster.

Cons

I sometimes make mistakes when I make changes to existing appointments in the Calendar. (I cancel the wrong session, schedule the wrong time, or forget to change the appointment to the correct office) I haven't need to use the video sessions.

Norma from IHS Psychotherapy and Counseling LLC

Industry: Individual & Family Services

User since 2013 - Very Happy!

Overall, CounSol.com has been a cost effective way to run my private practice. My account manager has been very responsive and helpful. I would highly recommend.

Pros

The combination of many services in one such as online scheduling, appointment reminders, secure record management, templates as well as the ability to upload custom forms, billing including invoices and credit cards and even submitting to insurance -- all in one place helps me manage my private practice well and efficiently. With appointment reminders, my no shows were drastically reduced. Most clients really appreciate them. Customer support is excellent and very responsive by telephone and email. The software is often updated and new features added. It is very easy to learn and use. I have been an extremely satisfied user since 2013.

Cons

I would like to see two features added - an app for cell phones and encrypted appointment reminders. I can still use the service on my phone through a browser, but would like to see an app at some point. In order to comply with HIPPA, I require clients who want appointment reminders to sign a release acknowledging that messages are not sent encrypted, but would prefer the appointment reminders be encrypted. Overall, the service meets my expectations for HIPPA compliance especially with the Business Associate Agreement.

Clifton from CH Fuller & Associates Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Needed strong HIPAA compliant format for mental health provider office

Ease of use, safety protocols are strong, support is excellent, user-friendly, easy integration.

Pros

1. Strong security protocols for both client & providers. 2. Ease in setting up. 3. Visually user-friendly design. 4. Excellent Tech support (something we've NEVER said about any program before). (tech assigned to us) is always friendly, patient & responds quickly, even after initial set-up. There's a 'submit help request form' & a well-organized "Help Manual" icon also available 5. We were able to do most of set-up ourselves, but if we hit a snag & contacted tech support, they'd walk us through it or advise us re better methods. 6. Integrated credit card process went smoothly, as did PCI, scheduling & video set-up (in plan we choose). 7. We receive a lot of leads through our website & were pleasantly surprised to discover an increase in traffic immediately after we began using Counsol (& their integrated partner counselorlisting.com). We saw an increase of 3-4 new clients per week (over our normal averages). 8. We recommended a few ideas (automated birthday notices to clients, etc.). Counsol appears to be responsive to customer's ideas. 9. Very easy to link from our existing website into their server based system for client's to schedule appointments & fill out forms online. It's been a fairly smooth transition for clients visiting our website. 10. During initial transition, Counsol had us upload our forms & they set them up quickly, then walked us through edit process. It helped get us up & running very quickly. We're already recommending Counsol to our peers.

Cons

Forms layout could be refined a bit (greater horizontal layout ability, rather than vertical, would decreases of pages. It's the only concern any of our clients expressed, even though the registration process actually goes quickly. (Some people look at of pages or 'length' of a form, not actual of questions or the click-through ease of those questions).

Emily from Emily Green, LLC

Private Practice Rave Reviews

I learned of Counsol almost 4 years and have had an incredible experience. Most striking is how invested and responsive Jonathan (my assigned representative) has been in helping me address any questions or needs. I am a bit technologically challenged, and yet found Counsol to be very user friendly, particularly because Jonathan was available to answer my questions over the phone and in real time. The features I most appreciate are the electronic scheduling feature, which has saved me hours each week that I used to spend playing email/phone tag with clients, only for them to respond after the offered time has been accepted by another client. I also appreciate the ease of billing, whether to submit client's out of network insurance claims or to keep payment records for myself. The mail feature puts me at ease given it is HIPAA Compliant, and has also been recommended to me by HIPAA trainers above all others for this reasons. Also note that I have referred dozens of friends and colleagues to Counsol, all of whom have thanked me for the recommendation given their similar positive experiences. Thank you to Jonathan and Counsol for allowing me to focus on what matters most, which is client care, and helping me to efficiently and effectively take care of the rest.

Pros

See my review.

Cons

That it isn't yet offered to Group practices. I would love if the out of office feature for email could be set up on a recurring basis. i.e. I am offsite on Mondays and Fridays and would love to somehow represent that to clients on the calendar feature and in email response. (Maybe this is already possible though...?)

Jennifer from Reflections Counseling Services

Counsol review

This program has streamlined my practice. I have been able to lessen time on paperwork, billing, etc. and spend more time face-to-face with my clients.I also love the referral program where you get a discount for referring someone else! I also love that Counsol is on top of HIPAA compliancy and making the program more and more easy to use, current with the times, and improving the overall quality of the program. Thank you!

Pros

Very user friendly Modeled and tailored specifically for mental health providers This program has cut my "paperwork time" down significantly I appreciate that I can conduct nearly all my business through this program (billing, documentation, reminders for client appointments, video counseling, etc.) Customer service is very quick to respond and very helpful

Cons

Not much I would change. I really like this program! I wish there was a way to view upload files to the program (like maybe a "preview") without having to download them. I wonder if there is a way to build faxing ability into the program? (i.e. If I needed to fax a treatment plan to another provider, it would be incredibly time saving and convenient and also money saving (because I could eliminate separate fax service), if I could just fax through the program some how. Not sure if that is a possibility, but it would be great if there was a way. Lastly, I wish you could change margins, text size, etc. or something, so when you print a document it doesn't take up so many pages (this is hard to fax or mail and also creates excess paper files)

Allison from DR. ALLISON SOLOMON, PSYD, PC

Counsol Review

Pros

I absolutely love Counsol. I have had several other EHR programs and feel this is the best fit for my practice. There are so many features, such as telehealth, secure email, secure journal, easy billing and credit processing, progress notes. The customer service is AMAZING! You get your own dedicated customer service person who responds very quickly and takes care of all of your questions and needs. They can customize forms and questionnaires for you as well.

Cons

The appearance of the program could be a little better but it is still pleasant. The advanced features for setting up labels for patients to fill out certain forms can be a little confusing but still a great feature that other programs don't have. The telehealth video conferencing doesn't have screen share or whiteboard features.

Nate from Growing Hope Counseling

First EHR System I have used

Gives me HIPAA compliant platform. Allows for secure emails to be sent through system.

Pros

The price is good for the product. I love that I have an account manager that is very helpful. He has helped me with any questions that I have. He also has loaded my forms onto the system for me. Saves time.

Cons

The video portion was not used for phones or tablets. Even though a lot of my clients are video, I did not purchase this part of the system due to that. I wish that forms could easily be duplicated instead of sending to my account rep. I also wish that a form could be assigned to multiple labels rather than just one or all. I also wish there were video tutorials, not just documents, however the account rep is a good resource. Clients can't upload documents to send me. I am still having to purchase HIPAA email system outside of Counsol. I wish clients could get an alert to their text when a message was sent.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Price for product. Main reason is that email was included. My goal was to have one place for my clients to use, but that did not work out. The video platform I use is VSee and the texting is OhMD. I am also going to add a secure email system as there are other situations that need secure email that is difficult to accomplish through this system. Does require multiple sign ins, which I was trying to avoid. But VSee saves me $15 a month and clients can use their phone or tablet.

Elizabeth from Authentic Transitions Counseling and Coaching

Ease and stability with great customer service

Pros

When looking for practice management systems, I researched many different options. I originally landed on Counsel because they offered the video feature within the practice management system, however I stayed with Counsol for the ease in features. I was able to upload my own forms, which made it feel like a more personal fit for my clients. The client portal allows clients to have access to their own account. They can fill out paperwork, access an on-line journal, check appointments, see notes I've left for them from our session and even pay their bill on-line. The integrated ERA feature has streamlined my billing process. It is incredibly easy to keep up with client billing and send bills electronically. I love that all client information, notes, etc. are filed in one place. Perhaps one of the best features is the customer service. I have been pleasantly surprised at how responsive my personal customer service person has been. He is thorough, helpful and very quick in response.

Cons

My major struggle is with the video component. It did not work well for me. Most of my clients did not have a large enough bandwidth to allow for the video to work. I finally ended up dropping the video portion of the system, and I'm using another video platform. I signed up for the video feature, however I stayed with Counsol because the rest of the features are so good.

David from Wells Counseling Services, PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

They keep developing and improving

I'm very glad I was recommended to go with this program.

Pros

They allow us to influence direction, functions and reports. They're very receptive to comments and requests.

Cons

I wish invoice, client numbers, payment numbers and other program generated numbers had core digits sync'd somehow.

Much more feature rich.

Kristina from Wolfe Counseling

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great company. AWESOME customer service.

My no-show rate wasn't great before I got CounSol. Now, it's very rare for me to have a no-show with their reminder texts. Confusion around scheduling is virtually eliminated. I used to have to do a lot by hand to create invoices, write notes, log communications and reschedule clients. CounSol has streamlined all of that. The option for clients to reschedule, print invoices, communicate with me and sign forms all online and all on the same interface is so great. My practice and my professional life are very organized now. Thanks CounSol for all you've done for me in all the times I've had to reach out. You've been consistently awesome!

Pros

The reminder texts has reduced my cancellations by 75% and increased my revenue as a result. The customer service has been amazing. I probably hound them too much about possible changes and they always hear my needs and and either forward ideas to their tech team or give me a really understandable reason why my request is may not help others. They've incorporated several of the suggestions I've made. They're really open to helping and taking feedback whenever they can and I've see the database grow steadily and quickly as a result. It's VERY easy to use which makes it great for those who are intimidated by technology.

Cons

Only tiny personal preferences really. Most of my requests they've incorporated. Pretty awesome.

Jonathan from MarriageEnvy.com

Best of all I tested!

I tried and tested over 10 different online scheduling, billing, practice management options. Many had good features, but none had the range of flexibility I needed for my unique needs--except for CounSol, that is. For example, I primarily need it for scheduling and billing, but not for an online medical record (which it does very well though) as I use old school paper charts still. I can opt out of having to make notes with CounSol and can't with others. Another thing I needed was for my clients to be able to schedule themselves if they want through their own portal. Other programs require you to approve the appointment request though first. In my practice, I want LESS steps, not more. And CounSol let's them schedule their own sessions without my approval, though I think I can require them to if I want. The bottom line point is that they have the most flexibility in how YOU need to customize it for YOUR practice vs conform your practice to its system like so many others I tried. And my clients love not having to play phone, text, or email tag just to get an appointment (as a solo practitioner somedays are busier than others and I can't always get back to people right away). That aspect alone has made my life SO much simpler and has improved the client experience as well. Also, customer support responds very quickly and I have the same account person assigned to me who knows my account! So bottom line: as someone who researches the heck out of products and services before settling in them, I can say this is hands down the best online practice management tool I've ever tried and recommend it highly.