• Pros

• "I love the ease of using the product. Very user friendly for all types of technical levels. "

• "The quick and easy way to use it for our patient. Easy to input information without any problems and fast working."

• "Ease of use, billing aspects were very useful."

• Cons

• "The price for this software is beginning to be a bit high for our practice, but the software itself is amazing."

• "There can be times of frustration in finding things in the system, but those are easily handled with a little research. I'd like the option to really personalize the reports available."

• "I would like a bit more customization freedom within the software, but overall, it has not been a huge issue."

Browse Kareo Clinical EHR Reviews

Cynthia from Cynthia McQuade LCSW LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

#1 User-Friendly EHR Ever Used!

In my experience of over twenty years using various EHR software platforms, I and can honestly attest that Kareo is by far the most user friendly and comprehensive EHR I have encountered in my professional career. I plan to be a loyal customer for life, thank you, Kareo!

Pros

Kareo is; user-friendly for people with little software experience, ready to go with little training, excellent implementation support, good customer service, amazing templates, forms and SALT Feature that cuts time & makes documentation a snap. The formatting/presentation of EHR notes is organized & professional. I love how I can select what information to share and can easily do so through the Care Coordination feature option in each note. I enjoy having all my medical, billing, records, HIPAA approved/secured Telehealth platform, Reputation Watch, client engagment, and much more...all from one vendor! Lastly, Kareo always asks for feedback on how they can improve & additionally demonstrates their value to customer service by providing excellent communication, accountability & follow-through. Kareo offers a superior platform and fair pricing. Highly recommended.

Cons

I would like to be able to attach documents to the internal email system when communicating with patients.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

no other products were considered.

Rebecca from Rebecca Lincoln, LPC-S

Excellent Customer Support and Usability

Kareo has made my transition to private practice easier and less stressful. In addition to documentation and billing, there are additional features that have been helpful such as eFax and a provider profile. These saved me the trouble of adding a fax machine or needing to set-up an additional website. I am very happy with Kareo and the support I am receiving.

Pros

Kareo has been very easy to use. There are several template which made it easy to set-up and maintain documentation. I am especially impressed with the coaching and customer support. My questions have been answered quickly and problems have been resolved efficiently. The people with whom I have spoken have been friendly and professional.

Cons

As an independent practitioner, I do not need to create elaborate reports. I have not tried any of the reporting features.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

I was impressed by the customer service features of Kareo. I have stayed because I find Kareo adds to the simplicity of my practice by having a number features all in one place. And, they still have great customer support.

Janine from Wildflower Primary Care & Wellness, PLLC

Nurse Practitioner ? Medical Director

I am very pleased with this software and am happy I made this choice.

Pros

I found that value and customer support has been unsurpassed. I feel that Kareo is very responsive and updates the system regularly to make it user friendly. The online scheduling, online intake info, and ease of use convince me that I made the right decision daily.

Cons

I am not a fan of the ICD10 look up and need a problem and a dx as well instead of just a dx. This is clumsy. I use an online ICD10 code lookup alongside of this. I hope this will be more efficient in the future.

Jeffrey from Now solo practice. Prior: UC Davis Med Group

Extremely frustrating, very poor functionality. After 1 year I left the company.

From Kareo: no significant benefit, mainly frustration. From your program to review Kareo: this was easy, helpful and productive. You know how to keep a person on-point.

Pros

Initially, the electronic software (EHR) was free, which allowed considerable forgiveness of the product. I initially appreciated the technical support from people who cared about their product and service. Unfortunately, the most common replies to questions from I.T. were apologies for not being able to provide what customers wanted and needed the most, see below.

Cons

1. Creating progress notes frustrating. Must save notes before changing screens, otherwise all information LOST. No auto-save. Saving data prior to change in screen, must save and CLOSE the document. Multiple steps to re-open again. Always inefficient. 2. Doctorbase is an "answering device for providers" to provide caller's phone number. The glitch for NEW callers: NO NAME provided, no message recorded. 10-15 "unknown" callers by end of day: 1/2 -3/4 were salesmen or bankers wanting to give loans. 3. When I changed companies, unable to transfer data in bulk. Had to transfer every patient individually. Other companies ALL had ability for bulk transfer. Would have to transfer emails individually, all 15,000. 4. Limited & unsophisticated ability to create progress notes to limit key strokes. 5. Requesting program upgrades: infrequent, rarely helpful, never quick or responsive even for minor change requests. 6. Initial support staff NEVER heard from again. I had to sort out problems by trial and error . I had 10 years prior experience in sophisticated programs before this disaster. 7. This is only a few of the problems I had before leaving. 6 months later, I received a call from Kareo asking how I would like to improve my experience & upgrade the system. They apparently did not know I was long gone. 8. Working with pharmacies never smooth or easy. 9. Many more issues, unfortunately, that I have suppressed.

Jeremy from Purpose Psychiatry

Kareo EMR

Overall experience is remarkable. I would not go back to others.

Pros

Extremely user friendly, customizable, form and function agreeable and relevant to low-mid-or high volume settings. I have used many EMR products and Kareo by far out performs competition.

Cons

Occasionally has slow periods of operation but rare. Not really a big deal.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Better performance, customization and reliability

Brianna from Atlanta Men's Clinic

Sarah is amazing!!!! Kareo customer support is a solid 10/10

The overall experience has been wonderful and I am grateful we made the switch. Wish we would have done it sooner!

Pros

The entire process from the integration of our new business to adding new clinical providers, setting up billing, etc. has been super easy with the help of Kareo Customer Support team. Any time I need them, they do whatever they can to help me find a solution as quick and efficiently as possible. So glad my company made the switch.

Cons

I don't really have any cons at the moment. Just wish it was a tad bit more user friendly to integrate labs into Kareo is all.

Luanna from Seminole Family Health

Easy to navigate, one flaw

Unfortunately benefits don't always outweigh risks. Working with another small practice and when asked if I would recommend Kareo I had to say no in its current state. I hope the bugs are fixed soon, so that can be a yes.

Pros

Easy to navigate, easy to teach when onboarding new associates to our practice

Cons

The site locks up, crashes or simply won't open multiple times a week which puts our productivity behind. Costing overtime hours

Response from Kareo

Replied February 2020

Thank you very much for your feedback Luanna, as it helps us improve. We understand that the experience this past month has not been optimal and our goal is to help your productivity, not to impact it negatively. We have certainly put matters in to play to prioritize our customer experience and continue to invest in overall performance stability. We hope to turn that sentiment back to a "yes!" as soon as possible. Thank you again for your comments and we appreciate you for continuing to bestowal your trust in us. Best, Kareo

Armen from Fine & co.

Better than most

Customer service patient dashboard and simple interface.

Pros

Modern platform, ease of use and on-boarding options.

Cons

It's not for large organizations, that said it will fit most practices.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Platform, support and functionality for the size of a specific practice.

Melvin from Global Outreach TeleRehabilitation Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Things I would like to see

Overall I think this is a very good platform and very easy to understand.

Pros

Karen is a very easy platform to maneuver. I like how you can find you client data with one or two clicks.

Cons

I would like to see patients that are made inactive be placed in an archive. By looking at names that are no longer a client make it takes longer for me to maneuver through the platform. Also the charge for telemedicine sessions is ridiculous. I have to pay $7.00 per session. Telemedicine is about 80% of my business so I never can budget for Karen it is always a surprise at the end of the month. Also if you put something on a Company Karen account you should have the capability of talking it off. Whenever I log on to my account I have to look at a Doctor who is no longer with my company but for some reason you all cannot take it off. Your company will lock us out of the system without notification, yet our bill never adjust and we have to stop out business. I cannot perform any telemedicine sessions. If we can get a notice so we can inform our patients that would be great especially when we are talking about mental health patient with anger management and PTSD issues. When you turn off notification for a client no one should make contact with them. The telemedicine side say they have to send out three notifications however they sometimes goes out in crazy hours. So when a company turns off notification we should know best.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

It was a easier for my providers to understand. However I will continue to look for other options as long as you charge me $7.00 dollars per sessions, I will always be on the look out for another platform.

MIULAN from LIFETIME FAMILY CARE

Useful Program

Like I said prior, the program is easy to navigate, input, and search for information. Overall, this is a great program to use I would recommend this program to another facility.

Pros

There are many reasons that this program is useful. A few is: 1) The ease of access to information looking for 2) The ease of program navigation 3) Customer Care quality (when and if there's an issue) 4) Fast response and how the issue is handled 5) The ease of inputting of information

Cons

The only thing that I find to be an issue is the "Rejection" responses to the Clearinghouse reports. For example, I have had a few claims that were rejected with "Remaining Patient Liability is required when Line Adjudication Information is not sent." I have gone over the COB from when I posted the payment and all the required information, payments applied, and patient coinsurance is all inputted correctly, but I still got a rejection notice. To me, that is a little confusing.

April 2014

Lee Peter from Southern Illinois Medical Specialists, LLC

April 2014

Ease of use, full features

Pros

Having working with various paid and free electronic health record services at various institutions, I came across Kareo while researching for my presentation on mobile technology, cloud computing, and medicine at a national medical conference. The features, intuitive interface, ease of use, and HTML5 programming, which allows cross-platform interface and real-time update speed was remarkable. I've seen institutions spend millions of dollars on electronic health record/ambulatory medical record systems for the physicians' offices. However, the amount of time it takes to get the staff trained, the monthly subscription fees, the lag time for the providers due to complexity of the systems, constant system crashes, and the need to do extensive programming for these paid systems make me wonder why nobody has come up with a free EHR/AMR system that has all the features needed for physicians and mid-level providers without all the hassles. Most EHR/AMR systems are user-friendly for the billers and clerical staff, but not intuitive or user-friendly for the clinic staff and providers. This is not the case with Kareo. Kareo is extremely easy to navigate for any physicians, midlevel providers, and clinic staff. They can get the system running with little or no training because the interface is extremely intuitive and simple with built-in and customizable templates that allow you and your staff to complete intake, history, physical, and charting in minutes. The system has all the features that meet Stage I and II CMS meaningful use and allow your practice to obtain the EHR bonus with ease. Most of all, it is built for both mobile and desktop platforms. My staff and I can access Kareo EHR system with our mobile phone, PDAs, iPads, and Google-based pads with ease. The integrated billing features and electronic prescription features, along with integration with various laboratory and diagnostic test centers make Kareo a complete EHR solution for small to mid-size practices. It is not easy to impress me, having built the entire IT infrastructure myself for my own practice and for several medical practices around the country. Kareo's cloud-based EHR system makes it easy for migration, conversion, and implementation, without having to upgrade to expensive server systems. Any office with a desktop and mobile device can get the system up and running within hours, not days or weeks or months. I am impressed and amazed with all the features within Kareo. I would recommend any office looking to migrate, to convert their existing costly EHR, or to migrate from paper charts to EHR should consider Kareo.

Cons

It needs a patient health record/portal and automatic appointment reminders to patients via text to mobile phones, e-mails, and letters.

Mary from Advantage Physician Billing and Consulting

KAREO IS A LIFESAVER

My husband's words will be all I need to express: " OMG! I got my wife back!" Is that enough?

Pros

As a billing company, woman and entrepreneur, I found myself fumbling with other software and working myself to death. Ask me about a software and I will tell you about it. With Kareo, I was able to drop all of my clients into one system at once. Set up was easy and painless and I was able to keep my promise that billing never stops and that made my clients happy. With Kareo EMR and PM accessibility, my billing company soon found itself able to add not only consulting, training and virtual front desk/scheduling capabilities, but we are now unveiling our Virtual IT Director department so that we are able to continue growing. All this could never have happened if Kareo was not introduced into my life.

Cons

Listen. There is always something you don't like about a software. There have been some, but they are so insignificant, that I am unable to recall any that have not been enhanced with a request. In fact, if there is a request that will work for the entire Kareo community, you are encouraged to provide that so that they can put it into the software. That is how versatile this company is. For a billing company, they are there to hear you and encourage you and help you grow. You cannot say that from any one else. You really cant. So, yeah, things I don't like, I voice and they fix.

Robert from North Jersey Whole Health Center, LLC

Expensive Glorified Text Editor

I used the EHR and billing for a little over 2 years until Kareo decided to start charging an outrageous fee for the EHR part, and then made it nearly impossible for me to get my patient charts out of the software and provided ZERO support for this, and then ultimately deleted several years worth of patient records.

Pros

This EHR is essentially a glorified text editor with billing functions. This gave it the ability to adapt through templates and macros to a wide variety of documentation scenarios, not pidgeon-holed into a specific speciality.

Cons

Billing was not fully integrated into the EHR, meaning that the billing needed to be entered separately from the charting in a separate program that didn't carry over more than demographic information from the charting portion.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

At the time, I chose this EHR because it had free EHR capability with (partially) integrated billing for a fee.

Lisa from Lisa Haworth, MD

Kareo EHR

Support has been outstanding. They can be reached within moments. There have not been any systems issues so Support has been used to determine how something functions. Our coach has taught us a lot and continues to reach out to see if we need anything.

Pros

The office is using Kareo EHR. The platform is modern and fast. It is available on PC, iPad, and iPhone which allows easy use in and out of the office. Patients like electronic reminders. Since the EMR is working well, my biller will being using Kareo PM shortly.

Cons

The platform doesn’t have a way to order requests that are not labs or imaging studies but we have used a round about to address this. Kareo upgrades system monthly so this may be addressed in the future.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Kareo pricing is fair and the product is robust. Support with Practice Fusion was poor during the trial period and Aethna pricing is high. I am very happy with my decision to switch to Kareo.

Roya from Yashwant Chaudhri MD APC

Knowledgable - Affordable - Reliable - Easy to use - On it

We implemented Kareo into 3 of our behavioral health clinics a few years ago to get rid of paper charts and improve our collection processes. Not only were those 2 goals met, we have seen an increase in patient satisfaction, provider compliance with documentation, and our clinical processes have become streamlined. Kareo has benefited not only our business, but our patients which is our top priority.

Pros

Kareo has everything any practice and/or speciality would need from an EHR / PM system. Kareo has a user-friendly scheduling platform that allows office staff to efficiently complete their duties. Our providers have had a positive experience with the clinical platform that allows them to e-prescribe, document effectively, as well as ensure compliance with CMS, MACRA, MIPS, etc. The billing platform is also easy to use, but what I like most is the reporting system. You can literally run a report for anything! Kareo rocks!

Cons

What is there not to like? Kareo is the only way to go! #teamkareo

PATRICE from THE LINK & OPTION CENTER

SENOR BILLER

BY US BEING NEW TO THE SOFTWARE WE NEEDED TO CALL FOR HELP OFTEN. EACH TIME WE CALL THE REPRESENTATIVE WAS VERY HELPFUL AND PATIENT SOLVING OUR ISSUE. WE NEVER WAS DISSATIFIED WITH A CALL FOR HELP. THEY ARE TO BE ADMIRE FOR THIER COURTESY AND PATIENTS.

Pros

ITS VERY EASY TO NAGIVATE AND SAVE TIME ON SUBMITTING CLAIMS

Cons

THERE ARE NONE. THIS SOFTWARE HAS PROVEN TO BE GREAT.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

SEEING ALL THAT KAREO HAD TO OFFER AND HOW AMAZING THIS SOFTWARE IS IT, WE COULD NOT WAIT TO GET STARTED. WE LOVE THIS SOFTWARE

Julianne from Volonte

Easy Peasy!

It is easy to use and customer support is great.

Pros

The best thing about the software is it is very user friendly. It was easy to learn and the support was wonderful.

Cons

There are a few features that are not available; Direct administration of medication injections with a template for Lot #, Exp date, and medication. I feel that when a medication is administered in the office there should be a automatic template that needs to pop up that would include all the information that needs charted. This option is available for vaccines but not for any other injections that may be given at an appointment.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Our NP has used Kareo at a previous clinic and she recommended it

Response from Kareo

Replied September 2019

Hi Julianne, we appreciate your positive review. We are glad to hear you like the ease of use of Kareo and our support team. We strive to improve our platform, so your feedback has been shared with our product development team. Thank You, Kareo

Bridget from Lamplight Counseling Services, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Does better for a medical practice

I love being almost paperless and appreciate being able to upload the papers we have.

Pros

I like the dashboard the most. It is easy to read and has a lot of information on each client as well as ability to schedule and take a payment. I also lov ed the drop downs for notes and SALT notes and SALT bills! Th hey save so much time.

Cons

Billing and notes are not well integrated. I cant keep track of clinician notes, and they keep messing up the bills because there is more than one way to do them and multiple ways to mess them up. It's made for doctors so I can't customize it for my practice. It doesnt include assessments and interventions, good diagnostic assessments, or integrated psychological assessments. I canxt control what forms my clinicians use, and am lost without medical biller. There isn't online signatures for forms either.

Sandy from ClaimPro Medical Billing

Kareo is the best!

Kareo is always trying to improve and they tell you their progress in that area and give routine updates. Kareo is mindful of billing requests and takes suggestions very seriously.

Pros

Kareo is the best software and most user friendly software I have ever used! One click later you can almost always find what you are looking for and the help you might need if you don't! It covers nearly every aspect of billing without being redundant or confusing. If you are just starting out this is the one to get, if you have been at this for a while then Kareo will cover all your bases at a pretty reasonable price.

Cons

The aspect I like least is the support HOWEVER; this has greatly improved since I started with Kareo about three years ago. I had to call support just last week and it could not have been better so I hold high hopes for this area!

Linda from Linda Buseman PMHNP, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

I began to use this system with templates that I created. I have used different systems and found this feature to be difficult. I have designed my own website so I am not a stranger to template making tasks.

I appreciate the discount for e prescribing only. I am a single person office, pay for a schedule system that is excellent and allows the pt. to prepay, and tech support is five + stars.

Pros

I can e prescribe and this is a great time saver. However, I would like to more easily print scripts for controlled substances without using 1 sheet per script. I treat ADHD and my patients often require 6 scripts.I do not use the scheduler, notes, etc. Because I do not take insurance, it appears that the insurance features would be beneficial. I also like the ability to find diagnoses for ICDM-10 by referencing ICDM-9.

Cons

One must find the pharmacy in demographics so as not to waste time. Using the prescription generator oftentimes will display those applicable pharmacies as does the demographics page.

Michelle from Health Back Center, Dr Rebecca Pearson LLC

Easy to setup and train new staff; powerful enough to really perform

We selected Kareo to use right out of the gate for a veteran Doctor opening a start-up clinic with zero initial staff. Kareo training support during our initial phase was excellent, consistent, and readily available by phone and by online chat (a feature that we LOVE). After the initial training phase, they have remained readily accessible, although due to the stability and ease of the product, we rarely need assistance even at the 9 months marker. As a consultant in billing and insurance for over 20 years, I have put it through the paces really hard, expecting optimal performance, and placing many demands on performance and accuracy that some might not. Kareo has performed well while enabling me to easily train four new staff (who had no previous experience in the field) how to run the front office functions and even the initial entry of encounters for billing. We like the security available to various levels of user profiles! Very helpful to include or exclude certain functions by employee. Another area we really use is the TASK function. With several employees, billing located in a different location, and all working different shifts, the task function is a huge plus for this software. Kareo makes it easy to set up or switch and to comply with today's insurance, billing, and EHR regulations. An added bonus is that if we, or you, ever decide to outsource the billing portion, say, for instance, if you lost staff or just wanted to move billing out of the clinic, Kareo is positioned to immediately pickup and continue those functions seamlessly because of the cloud-based system. We particularly like the security of that backup plan. We couldn't be more pleased on performance and ease of use. The highly competitive rate, month to month no contract, and no large upfront costs or maintenance fees are all excellent features as well! With two generations of healthcare providers and a combined over 50 years in the field, and having previously owned a physician billing software company for more than 20 years, we are pleased to give Kareo a high recommendation.

Michelle from Health Back Center, Dr Rebecca Pearson LLC

Easy to setup and train new staff; powerful enough to really perform

Leslie from Leslie F. Coughlan, NP PA

Intuitive, provider friendly, affordable

Affordable and portable. Mostly intuitive and easy for me to train others, but PLEASE fix the diagnosis section.

Pros

easy to use, can log in from phone, desktop, iPad, laptop--portable!

Cons

diagnoses section if POOR!!! ICD 10 should automatically populate with most often used codesd--not the hundreds of NEVER used, obscure ICD 10 codes that require me to scroll through--also, some are listed as "conditions" and do not carry over in the diagnosis section. This is a real pitfall for this software and way too much of my time is spent on another software looking up codes since they do not populate well on Kareo--I keep hoping that this is being upgraded/ updated! Also, ROS should carry over if SALT option is selected.

Jennifer from Missions Services Organization LLC

Very easy for anyone to use and learn!

Having multiple Drs under one set up was originally tricky. Once I was able to get in there and move around a little I was able to do what I needed and patients have not been affected.

Pros

The reporting ability and the ease of being able to explain a balance to a patient. Scheduling a patient on the right day/time is important and being able to time block and customize for 5 Drs has been beneficial. Customer Service reps are always there when we need them to walk us through an issue, which isn't what we always experience.

Cons

Updates can be tricky. If we had notice of exactly what pieces were being updated, it would help out quite a bit. However, updates aren't that frequent and usually its for the better.

Cara from Craft Behavioral

Good Value for your money

Started small with just the billing platform and have expanded to billing support, EHR, and marketing. The EHR and billing work seamlessly and accounts can be viewed in EHR. Pt reminders are via phone, text and email. Most insurance verification can be done on the platform. Labs and other ancillary services can download results into the EHR.

Pros

It's the total package. You can purchase as much support or as little as you feel you need. Marketing made a big difference for us. The pt reminders have made a huge difference also.

Cons

Sometimes your team gets changed and there is a getting to know you stage.

Kevin from Spectrum Behavioral Health LLC

Kareo Works Well For Outpatient Mental Health Clinic

We are a small (7 therapist) clinic. We switched from PIMSY to Kareo EHR. It has been a very positive experience. We have used it for 15 months and our therapists really like it. The program is very easy to use. The support team has been very responsive and has taken some of our suggestions and incorporated them in the program. We just had our state certification inspection and we received the highest possible rating with favorable comments on the completeness and uniformity of our notes and records. We have had a few glitches but Kareo has responded very well to them. I would recommend it to any outpatient mental health clinic.

Pros

Very easy to use, open multiple windows without loss of speed or functionality.

Cons

Occasional glitches on calendar moving appointments around but they are working on that

Nadine from Alex Endocrine Associates

Kareo in the setting of a recently retired Endocrinologist

I recently retired from a busy solo Endocrine practice, but wanted to continue to use an EMR to take care of family and close friends (to enter notes, updates, write scripts, order labs and imaging, etc). It was an easy transition, and Kareo is very flexible.

Pros

Very easy and intuitive, nice flow. You don't need your own server, as you use the internet for connectivity, and I find the speed to be quite good. Can train on your own via "Kareo University", but they offer a one-on-one training session with a physician to answer any questions and give suggestions. After finishing training, help is still available if needed.

Cons

ICD-10 codes don't pop up as well as my previous EMR, and might need to go through a few more steps on basic functions.

Cost and ease of use.

Randall from Rapidcare

KAREO bankrupt my business

You cannot prescribe controlled substances. The EHR has not been updated in at least five years. The technology is very old. They only integrate with two major labs. You cannot get anything to integrate with KAREO. The customer service is nonexistent. You might as well not even try

Pros

Anything good about this software is overshadowed by the company's policies. The company does not care whether you make money or not. They only care that they get their cut. Do not go with this electronica medical record.

Cons

KAREO Bankrupt me on one occasion and I almost let them do it a second time. Do not use KAREO. You are putting your business at severe risk of bankruptcy. Absolutely do not let KAREO do your credentialing. It took them 16 months to credential me and I lost $40,000. They did nothing to help.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

It makes a nice looking note. But that's all you get. Get ready to shell out a lot of money and maybe even lose your practice if you decide to go with KAREO

Response from Kareo

Replied May 2020

Hello Randall, Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, as it is very important to us that we understand where we may need to improve. For clarification, the billing issues and any credentialing issues would be best addressed with the entity that was previously providing these services, as they are separate from Kareo. In addition, we would like to mention that our system is able to ePrescribe controlled substances. We also consistently update our software and implement new features to ensure that our providers are able to focus on what is most important: Their patients. We also have a variety of labs that we are able to integrate with and pride ourselves on our customer support team. With that being said, we appreciate that you have taken the time to provide information about your experience with us and will use it to improve going forward. Thank you, Kareo

Leann from Leann Silhan, MD PLLC

Disappointed

I wish I could say something that is being solved with Kareo, but at best it's a functional bare bones EMR, where you can document notes and bill. If you need much more than that, chose another EMR.

Pros

Documenting the H&P and progress note is pretty straightforward and easy. The superbill completion is also easy and seems to function well.

Cons

Where to start... first, it seems that Kareo expects that you and your practice should conform to their clunky set up. after the initial sales call (their sales guy is great), you're expected to schedule weekly phone visits with Kareo's on boarding coordinator. She made a point to say how busy she is and need to schedule far in advance so that she can fit you into her schedule. Really? The coordinator can't actually do anything for you but tells you how to work through the system and what training to do next. I stopped doing these calls after it was clear anything I needed help with, she was not actually able to do anything, so I had to contact the ones who could actually help me. The training is like 100 hours. Any program that needs 100 hours/ 1000 sections of training, is not user friendly. There are many many other issues (ICD10 coding while trying to order labs which have to be completely reentered in addition to the chart, my systems biller getting locked out of the system repeatedly due to issues with the web platform interfacing with the desktop program, significant issues of setting up e-scribe -hours on the phone), but probably the worst is that the patient portal is essentially non existent. I won't go into the details but if you want a functional patient portal, chose a different EMR.

Response from Kareo

Replied November 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you feel Kareo has not met your expectations. Success Coaches serve as your main point of contact upon sign up during your implementation, their role is to guide assistance through milestones and facilitate processes between different departments (enrollments, training, support, etc). Although training may be intensive, it is very important that it be in-depth due the nature of charting and billing. We are proud of the time we've invested in our software, and are confident that the solution will help overcome any hurdles you are currently facing. We are dedicated to your success as a practice and want nothing more than to address your specific concerns and work with you to ensure your practice becomes productive and thriving. We will work with your success coach and our support team to have someone reach out to you as soon as possible to discuss your needs. Best, Kareo

Robin from New Foundation Inner Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

long on promise, short on delivery

very frustrating, time consuming, and costly because of glitches causing loss of revenue

Pros

e-prescribing, though cumbersome to use most customer support people nice, though unable to fix most issues

Cons

most everything. countless glitches which they don't seem eager to address, unacceptable by android phones (though accessible by iPhone), e-prescribing is glitch and cumbersome to use, eRx requests are even worse, documentation has almost no word processing features; think of something less than Notepad. Though you can "create templates" they are so unintuitive and cumbersome to make, it's not worth the effort. There is very little flexibility or ability to personalize features for my practice, including billing, scheduling, etc. I can go on with specific issues and complaints, but I think you got the message.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

promised features and flexibility and cost

Response from Kareo

Replied November 2019

Hello Robin, thank you so much for your candid review. This helps improve our product and services to our customers. Thank you as well for being so detailed, we were actually able to share this valuable feedback with a representative from our product team! We do apologize if your experience using Kareo has not met your expectations. We are aware you have a direct case with one of our specialists and we will continue to use this communication route to further discuss what we can do to possibly turn your experience around. We appreciate your time. Regards, Kareo

Shelly from RiverCity Family medicine

Happy practice

Pros

It takes Care of most of our needs and is user friendly. We love the fact that Kareo listens to our needs and works on updates. Their customer service is outstanding.

Cons

There some few areas that need to be improved sooner than later. 1 -When you send a referral the demographics should be included and the options to send labs and studies. 2- when you upload results for the Dr you should be able to assigned them to the dr for reviewing and signing off on them. ( we can do labs and studies but not referrals or consuls or other important things. 3. The hospitalization and procedure section needs to be improved. Because when people get admitted to the hospital they generally have studies done and that section does not allow you to add any more than one thing per day. 4. I feel there should be a place for the hippa to be documented in the demographics sections. We currently use the note section in the demographics and document it there.

See the cons!

Pros

Kareo EHR is user friendly and notes are easy to read esp when a physician puts the req'd info in. Ability to print/fax/email ... love it!

Cons

however when maintenance upgrades occur, you are at times w/out the services you need for a day to 3-days. This is not good esp in our office. We have made suggestions as to a back-up server so we can continue working while issues are being handled but no such luck. Customer service has a lot to be said for this company and totally not my favorite phone call to make when I have to. The process isn't the easiest and dealing w/the lists upon lists of extention's is a waste of time.

claudia from ross e gardner, m.d.

Dependability When Needed at all Times

It's a blessing to be able to get assistance when you are trying to do your billing and be assured that you are going to be paid for the work that you are doing to keep your business going and be sure that the patients insurance company are billed and pay for the service rendered to the patients to keep the practice afloat and the revenue come in. Being able to get assistance when a problem arise and not be put on hold or hear a voice response and never get the help that needed for you to complete a days work. No hassle nor problems in regards to contact or response to the assistance when requested.

Pros

The accessible ability and easy in the usage, and the assistance given in my billing.

Cons

No complaints nor problems at the present time.

Leslie from Bradford k Faulkenberry MD

Great product

I enjoy working on it. Doctor and I keep in contact by the messager on it . It lets us know where the patient is at all times in the office from front to back so it is a wonder tool.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use and to review the records that you need . You don’t have to open every file just for one .

Cons

The only thing I can say that I don’t like about it is that in labs and studies it moved what you are working on in front of others and I away missed labs in between because it pushing the labs down . I know that it is confusing but I miss labs that have not been worked because of it.

Christopher from Psychiatry Austin

Love everything about it!

Pros

I am a new user to Kareo EHR clinical nd we have recently went out and purchased the entire program which includes Engage. The EHR, whether it is clinical or engage is top-notch. I have never used an EHR system that has been so user-friendly as Kareo is. It allows my daily tasks of billing out claims and communicating with our patients to become much more efficient which in turn allows us to be more organized and more profitable as a business. Great job Kareo!!

Cons

I have only witnessed one thing I do not like about the software and that is the alerts when emails are received from patients through Engage. An alert is sent out to every employee instead of just one person. Everybody doesn't need to be getting a new message alert because they are irrelevant to the rest of the staff and there's no way to change it per customer service.

Sheri from Lake Erie Behavioral Health, LLC

Terrible Software. Your practice will lose money

Very disappointed. I don’t know what issues they are having but too frequent problems accessing a software that I may a lot of money for. If you can’t access it then you are not getting what you pay for and it cost you money in the long run

Pros

I like that it’s link to the billing software which makes it easier for billing

Cons

Software frequently crashes, sometimes all day which means you have no access to patient information, cannot check in patients or collect co-pays. Basically you end up rescheduling patients which results in hours of lost work time and staff unable to work. We’ve lost thousands of dollars in revenue because of this faulty, nonfunctional and unreliable Kareo software. And don’t bother trying to call customer support because you will not be able to reach anyone live. You’ll hear the same prerecorded message saying “we are aware of the problem.” There are better and less expensive softwares out there for your practice. Do your due diligence and think twice about investing in Kareo

Because Kareo offers month to month service. Now I know why

Response from Kareo

Replied March 2020

Hello Sheri, Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience with our product and our support staff. We sincerely apologize about the obstacles you've encountered and are committed to working with you to overcome your concerns. We will be reaching out ASAP to discuss this in more depth with you. Thank you again for your time, and we look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank You, Kareo

September 2016

Jennifer from Mission Services Org

September 2016

User friendly, dependable software

I have been using Kareo for 2 1/2 years and we haven't had any major issues w/downtime and/or malfunctions w/in the systerm

Pros

This software is user friendly and the ability to show others makes it helpful.

Cons

Some of the report options. Drs will ask for something in particular that I just can't produce. There are also a couple options that are editable when info is entered we feel should not be.

Dr. Harshad from Dr. Harshad Patel MD PC

poor urgency handling customer concern

Pros

Pros would consist of the ease of learning the fundamentals of working the EHR. It is pretty self explanatory once you fire up the application.

Cons

Our practice is located in Arizona, and the time on our EHR is incorrect since the base of kareo is located in California our system is on California time as opposed to Arizona. We have brought this issue to kareo, nothing was done there was no resolution to this matter and the time is still incorrect. One major issue that we are having is, we use a desk top for the use of kareo and as well as an Apple IPad. We are having an issue accessing "labs and studies" on the iPad and every time we open up this tab our app not only kicks us out but does not allow us to access the labs from the iPad thus causing Dr. Patel to then have to leave patients room come to the front to look at the labs, majorly taking away from Doctor Patient time. This matter has been brought to kareo's attention numerous amounts of times, and still it is not resolved we have been having this issue now for a total of 3-4 months. We call and receive a very typical answer from them stating that "we have our engineers working on it and someone will give you a call" no one ever gives our office a call back. we are very dissatisfied at this point with kareo and cons definitely out weigh the pros with this system.

Jennifer from 21st Century Dermatology, LLC

Easy to Use

Do not use this feature

Pros

The PM system works, its features are easy to read and maneuver and the options for managing records are endless.

Cons

The billing feature for patients receipts needs some work, it would be more efficient if the company's name was on the patients receipts from the Patient Financial Records, this is used for tax purposes by patients and a place of service is needed.

Alisha from Sequim Chiropractic

Robust Software

Talk to other companies using Kareo and ask them what their difficulties are. It really is a good program, but there are some areas that may not work for your practice.

Pros

Billing reports are very detailed and useful. Very easy to access patients and schedule them. Very aesthetic dashboards.

Cons

Customer service and communication is definitely lacking. I don't expect any billing software to be totally perfect, but whenever they release a new update there tend to be quite a few bugs in the update.

Mariannep from Hospital & Health Care

Easy to.use emr system

Great minus the customer service

Pros

Very user friendly and easy to use or access from anywhere.

Cons

Terrible customer service (wait for hours and they still can't answer your question). Sometimes system does not allow prescribing of two controlled substances to same patient (even if it's a different drug) do you have to go back later in the day or on a different day to prescribe the other script it did not allow you to.

Response from Kareo

Replied July 2019

Marianne, we are happy to hear you have enjoyed the quality, ease of use and functionality of our product. We are although, very interested to know more about the feedback you provided regarding your customer service experience and we are sorry to hear it hasn't been the best for you. We want to learn how to improve, which is why we created a case and will have someone contact you to follow up on this feedback and hopefully offer you improved customer service. Thank you so much for your time!

Matthew from Digit-Futura

Kareo is Good For Small Practices

I think they are a good program overall but i would be cautious before using them.

Pros

I felt like this company really understood how to brand, sell their product, good customer support, and had great usability. I felt like they were overall a good program and would recommend to smaller practices that are interested in building their practice and patient reviews.

Cons

I felt like the program was limited, had some bugs here and there, and was overall had the issues of new programs. I don't think bigger brands could deal with this bugs and wait through the length process to hear back from technical customer support for issues that shouldn't exist in the first place. This brand was also a little too sales focused, not genuine, which is a huge turn off for me.

Dr. from MFNC

Kareo Review

I don't think there is anything better available and certainly not at the price point.

Pros

It is for the most part user intuitive and easy to learn, single exception being setting up templates. However, for this, they offer T/S which is really helpful.

Cons

Minor inconveniences such as unnecessary keystrokes which could easily be remediated, are seldom incorporated into version updates and are not thought out prior.

CRISTAL from Pathways Psychology Services

Bad Customer Service

Newer use than our old one but not what our intentions and not user friendly, aesthetics could be better and better synchronization with the practice management

Pros

The scheduler is very helpful, I like that we can place a color coordination. I also like that you can view it when you hoover your mouse over it.

Cons

The view settings, you can not adjust your views. Reports are hard to set up and customize even with the Excel Ad-In.

Michelle from SurveyMe

Industry: Information Services

Kareo is a great way to have your patient information at your fingertips. It is so easy to use.

I was able to make many notes about the patients and their appointments.

Pros

I like that all of the information is hooked together. So, you can make a note that will on each record, along with the relevant information.

Cons

The search features are not great. You can put a word into the search that you know should bring something up, and it says no result. I would like an easier way to look for information.

Kinjal from Peterson Rehabilitation

Easy to use, nice text shortcut feature.

Calender should be printed in the grid format rather than each appointment, so that appropriate time grids can be maintained well.

Pros

Ease of use, text shortcut features are awesome, ease of loading the template to initiate the note.

Cons

Needs more categorization for templates regarding therapy and rehabilitation. Printing the notes is a challenge as you have to print them one by one. If there is a feature to print multiple notes at same time, it will be really helpful to save time and make the chart at the end of treatment course, rather than printing one note at a time.

Mark from LiveWell Men's Clinic

Kareo in a Men's Clinic

To date, I have used Kareo EHR for the best part of a year. Altho like any record keeping system there is a learning curve, but after that, it becomes very intuitive. The templates are very helpful. Overall, I would recommend this for anyone.

Pros

The program is customizable and the templates make life easy. The info available inside the system about the drugs the patient is taking is helpful when you find a drug you are not familiar with.

Cons

The flip side of the templates---you have to customize the program. The program is designed to work for most any application so if you don't use it all, you can delete that part. During the time I've used the program, there have been updates that are a bit frustrating because you have to figure out how to do what you need to do after the change. It would be nice if there was some communication from Kareo to let us know what the changes are and how to work with the changes.

Apurva from T4Men

Easy startup, intuitive system, runs on all playforms; few issues with cash only accounts and support

Pros

Kareo is super easy to get comfortable with if you’ve ever used an EHR, works in most browsers, cloud based, rarely if ever have we had a system slowdown or shutdown. The scheduler, in clinic workflow, and patient communication are really well done. ERx and direct address are well integrated. Templates are numerous and easy to build and customize. Easy to use old notes to build new ones. Very easy for non clinical staff to learn.

Cons

Using Kareo in a cash only environment isn’t the easiest. They steer you to their credit card processor and don’t really make it easy to run your own. The support is mostly responsive but can be superficial.

May 2014

Laura from Neal D. Goldberg, M.D., P.C.

1.5

1.5

May 2014

PM not what I expected

Pros

I like the ability to check eligibility for major insurance carriers. Scanning documents has been a big improvement for my office.

Cons

It's not user-friendly at all, and it's very time-consuming. Anyone taking appointments should be able to do it in a matter of minutes. Don't purchase the PM system if the appointment schedule is essential to your practice. First, you can purchase the feature for reminder calls at an additional cost. I don't know what they were thinking when they chose the vendor. The call comes through without the name of the physician (I was told physicians with odd names were not happy as they were mispronounced so they just state, "You have an appointment with your physician"). When I called about this, a customer representative told me patients should know who their appointment is with. Second, there is not a feature allowing the patient to either confirm or cancel the appointment. It is nothing more than a reminder call. To make matters worse, there is no indication on the schedule that the patient was even called. When I called Kareo to find out why, I was told it had to do with their vendor, and I could not have access to any reports regarding calls. I could, however, call Kareo daily, and they would tell me who wasn't called. If you want to see which of your patients have checked in, you have to go to the appointment, right-click it, and see if they checked in. There should be a way of looking at the schedule and seeing who checked in and out, who was a no-show, and who cancelled. I manage a practice, and I want to look at my schedule and know who was here and who wasn't. I shouldn't have to run a report. I need to see as much information on the schedule as possible clearly. In case anyone is looking into this system with the hope that these issues will be resolved, forget it. I was told these are not priorities. While customer care has been attentive, I get that famous saying "I'm sorry for your inconvenience."

Barika from Concierge & VIP Counseling

Performance, perspective & Price

Pros

Kareo provides a seamless platform that allows for easy provider access and documentation. It's plug and play design allows for easy integration into the practice.

Cons

Customer service can be better. Kareo also appears to focus on finding the newest features and appears to forget about older issues that still need resolutions.