• Pros

• "Easy to setup without input from the support team. When I did require assistance, response was fast & pointed me quickly in the right direction. Billing is automated too."

• "The overall look of the Portal is terrific plus the support is also great."

• "The API integration with our platform works well. When Plivo is up and running, the service is good. Voice quality here in Brazil has improved a lot over the last few years."

• Cons

• "The user interface / dashboard could be a little bit more intuitive. It's still usable, I just feel like the way a user interacts with the site could be better."

• "Virtual numbers in Belgium present a few quirks such as not showing the caller id on SMS text messages, but this is a minor issue."

• "I had some teething issues with some of their phone numbers, which were not show stoppers but it required a lot of emails and phone calls."

Browse Plivo Reviews

Nomsa from Golix

Communication made easy

My experience with Plivo is superb, they deliver results within timelines. Each time when you raise a support ticket, they will not rest until they provide an answer, even if it means they do not have a solution at the moment they will keep you updated with the position and this makes me happy. They provide SMS to our customers anywhere and this makes our business flourish so well.

Pros

I really enjoy using this software because it deliver its purpose when it comes to sending verification to customers anywhere. Very reliable in such a way that when any country is not getting the SMS they react instantly to make sure SMS are sent.

Cons

At the moment there is nothing specifically except that they do not have Calling Support where by as a customer you have the facility of an account manager that you contact directly when anything goes wrong.

Bolivar from IAPP - International Association of Privacy Professionals

Outstanding quality and flexibility, great customer service

Pros

With extensive SDK's available in a variety of languages, this is definitely one of the most flexible products available today for virtual phone service. Customer service is very responsive and professional.

David from WYSCOM

Good for smaller businesses, not so good for large cross application implementation

It's been ok, aside from annoying API issues and the occasional oddities with the console interface Plivo does provide a good service for smaller businesses that have a low throughput. However for a bigger company like ours that makes heavy use of the API we've found it rather frustrating.

Pros

I like that they offer request logs for all calls and allow you to purchase phone numbers through the API. Their customer support if often times friendly and quick to respond, and the console interface looks nice. They also provide a nice set of API documentation with example requests and responses that allows you to instantly change between languages to make it much easier to understand the system.

Cons

The API leaves a lot to be desired. The main issue I have is that whenever there is an issue often times the API just throws a generic exception with a message like "Object not found". This leads us to needing to catch exceptions and compare the error string to understand what's going on when say, for example, a phone number purchase was unavailable. I would much appreciate it if the API was re-worked to better handle this kind of situation. I really shouldn't be expecting to catch exceptions. To compound the frustration, Plivo has the tendency to update the server side of their API without warning or documentation. This has caused our system to break on a few occasions. This could be easily mitigated by a change-log or hosting multiple API versions. Another issue I find is that the console interface (While it looks nice) it has a fair few bugs with it, especially when viewing request logs. It's also a bit confusing to navigate. I'm not above learning to use a complex system, it's just that there are some strange things. Like how sub accounts are handled. For example there's no capability to search or sort the sub accounts. This makes it really annoying to use, and to make matters worse, there are other pages such as the Applications page and the Endpoints page that support this. Maybe we're using sub accounts wrong but I think this shouldn't be such a hard thing to implement. But that's my point. There are some oddities like this that make the system more difficult to use.

Travis from Collaborative for Educational Services

My Review of Plivo

I am utilizing the Plivo platform for school districts to help provide a more cost effective phone sharing option. It has been great but I think we will need to do a lot of the heavy lifting ourselves with managing the sub accounts (schools/customers).

Pros

API documentation and ease of use have been my strongest 'likes' of Plivo. It was really simple to utilize the PHP examples to setup my phone application.

Cons

Account management and the overall UI is difficult to navigate and missing a lot. For instances logs take upwards of 5+ minutes to show, some logs are hidden on one screen, others located somewhere else. Account management for sub-accounts doesn't exist (other than changing the name). Should be a way to further manage them, for instance setting balances and limits for the sub accounts, be able to pull account usage reports/payments more directly related to the sub account. Also the types of numbers and what exactly they offer is not clear.

Abner from Hanos Co

Plivo offers a great per minute Trunk with worldwide coverage

Great service with endless flexibility

Pros

It easily integrates with 3CX and works all over the world. Support has improved significantly compared to the last years and now we are using it much more.

Cons

The service should have templates that work with PBX systems

Jane from Avetty

Excellent for startups

1. We pay about 50% less for the SMS provider services 2. With free inbound SMS we were able to automate our SMS surveys 3. Faster development and debugging with clear API and helper libraries

Pros

We used Plivo for an online SMS chat. 1. Good performance. We've only seen downtime happen once, and we barely noticed it: a few text messages got delayed for about 10 seconds, and that was about it. 2. Low prices. We started with Plivo and a few other, more expensive, SMS providers. No difference in performance at all. Bottom line: low cost doesn't mean bad service. 3. Wide selection of phone numbers. Sometimes people want a specific combination of digits in their phone number (for example, when they want to spell a word). You can use regex in Plivo's phone number search, which make it faster, and in most cases we do find a phone number our client is likes. 4. Easy to use API. It took us a total of 2 hours to fully integrate Plivo into our application. From scratch. And, like any startup, we add new features all the time. Documentation is well-written, error codes make sense, delivery reports help debugging.

Cons

They blocked our account once - we were running a test script that was sending about 50 000 requests/hour. Never happened again since they called us, and verified the account.

Matthew from PR Newswire

Plivo For Business

My experience has been amazing at Plivo. From the time they gave me a trial and even extended it by giving me an extra $ just to keep testing my applications, as I wasn't done yet. Plivo support usually gets back within 24 hours and almost always the problem has been resolved.

Pros

I've built my business using the Plivo platform. The API is easy to use and the price is cheap enough for me to mark up a bit to actually run a viable business.

Cons

Pricing in the United States, Canada, and several countries are perfect, but once you start going into other places, including India, Egypt, Malaysia, etc. The prices are definitely more expensive and while I cater to a global audience, the audience is best when they are from the US, Canada, UK, etc.

Conrad from Directangular

Plivo Review by Conrad Frame

It has been awesome. Initial hiccups and setup are 100% offset by the 50% savings over the competition and it has been smooth sailing for over a year since original setup.

Pros

I like that it was (is still?) half the cost of Twilio at the time that I switched over to it and had the same feature set that I was using (SMS api).

Cons

The only thing I struggled with is that I had some missed SMS sends INITIALLY that were reported to me by my customers. Plivo support helped me out a lot here and got me a source number that had a better send rate than the one I had originally chosen myself.

Lucas from Styllus Imobiliária

Great product, beware of support

Plivo has been a great partner that supports our operations 24/7. It has a few bugs here and there regarding numbers and SMS but overall they provide a great service.

Pros

Call routing works great, the new PHLO system is amazing at testing before deployment.

Cons

SMS tends to be a bit buggy regarding UTF-8, showing accents properly only in a few times. API's are constantly changing..

Ali from Message Hopper

A good service with easy and well documented instructions

Pros

If you'd like VoIP or SMS, Plivo is a really good option with its competitive pricing and well-documented APIs. It's easy to integrate and the user interface is fairly powerful.

Cons

Plivo does not still support MMS and that can be problem is you need MMS.

Abdallah from questific.com

Affordable and very good

i set it up for my website for people to receive their security codes to login. and didn't have to change anything in the code since then. and this is what i really love about it

Pros

Easy to use and affordable. When I use an API like email or SMS api. I don't want to go back to the code I implemented and keep changing the code. With Plivio to be honest I didn't have to do this at all.

Cons

I can't think of any Cons. But was hoping for a cheap short code but it's not a big deal

Reasons for Choosing Plivo

price, ease to use and functionalities

Alessandro from Sporting Index

Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Easy

Sending SMS, I'd like a feature that recognize "fake" number like the one provided by https://sms-receive.net or https://smstools.online. With the help of the helpdesk we find out that I cannot receive SMS from US. I bought a landline number to send SMS in USA, Canada and all the rest of the world but I cannot receive SMS. There was no mobile number available to purchase, too. Problem not solved.

Pros

It's easy, cheap and effective. I set up and used the SMS messaging quickly.

Cons

Configuration of SMS Receiver. Not really clear also reading the documentation what all the options mean.

Reasons for Choosing Plivo

Easy start and simple clear documentation.

Andy from iQuilibrio

Plivo Sip calls & SMS - great platform (when it works)

Pros

Cons

Mobile calls in Brazil are relatively expensive. Some local competitors are much cheaper. In the past Plivo has changed the ways some of their APIs communicate with our servers, without informing us. This has lead to downtime of our services, and to revenue loss, which would have been totally avoidable with better communication. Finally, in the last few months there have been several instances of unplanned service disruptions, leading to further downtime, loss of revenue and of customer goodwill on our side.

James from HunterGrey LLC

Plivo Integration review

My overall experience with Plivo is great. The only issue I had was there is somewhat of a language barrier in technical support. It should be noted this seemed to improve over time so I'm not sure if they added new people or the existing staff just got better at communicating.

Pros

I can't speak alot about the API itself. The client wanted to generate the Raw XML and this limited our ability to fully utilize all of Plivo's capabilities. However, within the scope of our project we found the Plivo system easy and reliable. The documentation was accurate and it was nice to see it in several different language contexts. We had no problem with lag or failed requests during our testing period. As I understand it, the production environment is running very smoothly.

Cons

I have no complaints about the Plivo software.

Response from Plivo

Replied July 2019

James, thank you for sharing your feedback. We are constantly working with our Support team to enhance each customer's experience and you should continue to see improvement in future interactions.

Nailed the basics and are starting to emerge into awesome.

We communicate on regular intervals and one off texting communications. i.e. reminders about things at recurring times or this event happened so send the text. They're platform hasn't ever given us problems. Highly recommended.

Pros

Honestly the cost! They beat everyone else (for most counties). Their documentation is pretty good for the most part, and they've done a great job staying up-to-date with their SDKs and optimizations.

Cons

Lacking MMS has bitten me several times and I've had to look elsewhere for those projects. Otherwise they've been sufficient. Syntax for sending multiple messages at once is a unique one, but manageable.

Anand from AKOS MD, LLC

Great API and quick customer support, easy to use and build

We are building our own little call center where the end user would call us on a 1x800 number and the call would be then placed on hold until one of the Agents can pick it up sitting on a web portal (SIP endpoint). We have used PLIVO's restful APIs and love the user friendly documentation and the quick customer support that is provided. Recently we have started using PHLO which is a drag and drop sort of stuff to get your things done really quickly with less amount of code to write. This is a hot cake and I would assume would be feature loaded in near future. And all that for a very affordable amount of money. How good is that?

Pros

Great and user friendly API documentation Very quick customer support Value for money And last but not the least PHLO

Cons

I can't think of much but I would assume more features would be added in the near future.

Plivo - A must consider for telephonic services

Plivo has been a good solution for our SMS messaging needs and coupled with good customer support I can't complaint at all. I hope they continue giving as much personal attention to all their customers as they have been giving even when they grow.

Pros

Easy setup Neat API doc Good logs are always welcome You can export reports and stats really intuitively You can easily discover the reason of failure or any other problems which are hampering the overall functioning

Cons

The service especially for SMS delivery can be a bit iffy at times, happened maybe once or twice only over a period of 2 years.

Plivo is a great secondary telephony system

We are providing customers with custom IVR's and outbound test/calls. Plivo is able to give us the basics of what we provide for our customers and has been improving their downtime.

Pros

- Plivo is fairly inexpensive compared to some of its competitors - Plivo is constantly growing and seeking to improve

Cons

- The turnaround time for a support ticket takes too long - Most of the employees are overseas and have a hard time communicating during normal business hours (PST)

Mesack from Eat and Give Limited

Build Enterprise IVR Systems in Minutes

Pleasure and to use and easy to use.

Pros

Great software and easy to use. Using PHLO its possible to build an enterprise IVR system with logic and no programming skill. This saved me some time.

Cons

Nothing. But would be very useful to add time constraint object to PHLO to give a little more flexibility and control to IVR systems.

Reasons for Choosing Plivo

Ease of use. Better and transparent pricing. Good documentation.

Alcides from ONVOZ

Very good communication API

Very good API and support.

Pros

Very good inventory number, specially for Latin American countries. You do not have to pay storage of audio recordings Very good support for at not extra cost.

Cons

You are no able to port some numbers in countries such as Argentina You are able to make outbound calls to some 1800 numbers in lantinamerica The API did not add new features.

Diego Ernesto from FONEAUTIX S.A.

Plivo, a great choice

Our experience with Plivo to work with IVRs and to send SMS has been excellent. Plivo has allowed us to develop complex solutions in a relatively simple way.

Pros

Plivo gives us a robust platform of unified communications that allows us to not worry about the infrastructure.

Cons

Perhaps the exchange relations of the currencies can make the services in some countries a bit expensive.

Bolivar from IAPP - International Association of Privacy Professionals

One of the best cloud-based communications platform

Plivo allows my business to work seamlessly without having to worry about installing any equipment.

Pros

Ease of use, excellent documentation, instant deployment, phone number availability, new and improved console

Cons

Chelsea from ElectionBuddy Inc.

A Phenomenal Option for Your Automated SMS Sending Needs

Our company primarily uses the SMS sending functionality of Plivo, and overall, we are very impressed with it. We came to Plivo after a poor experience with a previous product, and the support from their team, as well as the information that we obtain from Plivo's UI, is the best that we have seen so far.

Pros

The support from their incredibly knowledgeable team, and the interface — very simple to get data for analytics, and to review logs.

Cons

When searching the logs for a destination phone number, it does not allow you to search using any phone number format. Being able to search using any phone number format is the one thing I would change if I could.

Pedro from Entouragement Health Information Systems

Plivo review

In general I like the platform a lot. I found it very useful to create in short time an IVR and in the future I'll use another characteristics of the platform. The user interface improve a lot for the last released and improve the order of the items. I'd like to see improves in the documentation for developers in the java JDK.

Pros

- Its easy to buy a number in general. - We can create an app very fast and connect with plivo - I had a problem with one of my numbers in mexico and the plivo's team help me and even change the number very fast.

Cons

- In some cases the documentation is wrong about JDK - I nedeed some kind of authentication for my endpoints to guarantee that the requests came only from plivo then I used the authentication described in the documentation but it didn't work. Then the support team told me there was a problem and they needed to solve it. This case alone took a long time to resolve. - The voice used in the IVR some times is not possible to understand due to its pronuntiation.

Wayne from Warwick Fulfillment Solutions

Industry: Facilities Services

Plivo Review

We developed our own business phone system, complete with call center functionality and a front end administration interface in less than 2 months!

Pros

The Api is simple but great, with excellent documentation. It's very easy to connect SIP devices to Plivo and they just work.

Cons

The reporting is pretty basic. It seems Plivo leaves reporting to the user, but it'd be nice to have some stock usage reports at the very least.

Aleksandar from HR

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Simple and cheaper

Pros

It is cheaper than other SMS services for transactional sending. It's easy to use, install on a website where I use Plivo.

Cons

I do not like it because there are no Paypal options to add a loan but only has options for Cards.

Adam from BookingTimes

Reliable and cost effective provider for SMS sent via API

I run a software business and need to send single and bulk SMS in a timely fashion. I can do everything I need to do with Plivo.

Pros

Cons

Doesn't have volume based reporting - need to export everything to Excel and run it from there.

Sanehiro from Acropoint, Inc.

A promising SMS platform

Pros

Here are the things I like most about Plivo: 1. Toll-Free number capabilities (High throughput, high message limit per number) 2. Price (low price compared to competitors) 3. Overall performance (Latency, throughput, and delivery rate) 4. Support (Timely responses/actions) 5. Ease of use (Simple API and good documentation)

Cons

Here are the things that need some improvements: 1. Reports available at the user website console is very limited 2. Statistics available at the user website console is very limited

Vincent from Time Parity Solutions Private Limited

Robust , Innovative and Responsive

Pros

We have been using Plivo for our application and are happy with the services. As our application required A2P SMS the Plivo team solution of Toll Free number has provided a very useful and affordable solution .

Cons

We would like the support team to respond faster and it will be really useful to have a Plivo Customer Support number to call for urgent issues , especially since you are telephony service / solution provider. A number to call and reach out to will save us the time , we at times have to spend waiting for your reply.

Mike from SalesSling

Quality at a good value

With their recent focus on customer engagement, I am excited for the opportunities in the future.

Pros

Consistent good carriers for audio quality

Cons

Documentation is still lacking, and often out of date.

Manish from LetzChange

One of the best customer support I have seen

We use Plivo to send instant SMS notifications to all our donors around the world.

Pros

Easy to integrate, Great API documentation but most of all customer support response time is awesome

Cons

Some of the features are not available in my country India. Also it is a little on the pricier side compared to other options available

Dmitriy from 2Meet

Nice messaging gateway

Pros

Easy to implement API integration, fast technical support, very good coverage

Cons

We do have problems with alphanumeric sender ID periodically

Shannal from MS Gurus Inc.

Plivo solution works

Pros

I think the low cost and features are a major driving force!

Cons

Custom API works requires developer skills to develop using Plivo SDK.

Plivo - Solid Product

Pros

Ease of API and customer service. Lots of flexibility.

Cons

The UI for logs could be better. Logs could be kept for longer.

Jordan from PLAYlive Nation

Reliable. Cost Effective!

Pros

Easy to use. API is always available. SMS logging makes it easy to track down bugs. Support team has been reasonably responsive when I've had questions. I switched from Twilio almost a year ago and have never looked back.

Good and proper service

Pros

They have a simple platform with all the information at a single place, you can use the APIs easily and integrate it with your platform.

Cons

Can make reporting better and pricing also needs to be better for few countries

Duane from KSi

Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Phlo

Customer support isn't very accessible, it takes 24 to 48 hours of sending emails before I was able to get someone of the phone.

Pros

I like their phlo interface. It allowed to receive a text message send it to our CRM and then return a message back to the customer.

Cons

Some of the development limitations to the phlo seem unnecessary limiting. It's a bit clunky how API request have to execute successfully before being able to save, this creates a challenge with passing authentication tokens as a variable because when the block is authenticated on save the variable is not filled in with the authentication token. I was able to trick the platform by manually typing in the authentication token and then switching right before I saved.

Md. Farhan from Lokavidya Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

Good Customer support

Our primary use is otp. And the job is done well.

Pros

The product is definitely good over all undoubtedly. But what makes a company stand apart is the after sales/customer support. I had multiple instances of having a chat and almost all the times my queries were solved there itself. Kudos to the team.

Cons

Not that i think of any at the moment...

Bidur from University of Windsor

Affordable Phone and SMS integration

We were able to deploy our application really easy and were able to offer good price to our customers because of Plivo's competitive price. Their customer service team helped us well whenever we had issues or blockers.

Pros

Plivo offered same or better quality of service compared to their competitor at a good price. Their customer service is really responsive and helped us resolve our problem and port the phone numbers. Integration is easy as they have really good API Documentation.

Cons

We had problems debugging the software. The API call logs can be made better and more informative. At times we had speed issue. We are not sure as it is solely dependent on Plivo as delivery of text/call also depends on the carriers of our customers.

My thoughts on Plivo

Pros

-Very flexible interface and flexibility to configure a lot of contact center features.

Cons

-Support is tough to get a hold of sometimes, support team seems to be based offshore.

Utkarsh Narain from Faclon Labs

Industry: Industrial Automation

Trustworthy communications service

Pros

The software team at Plivo is really prompt and easy to work with.

Cons

The brilliant service can have better documentation.

Dain from Deneyimsoft

Plivo support and products

Before plivo we couldnt send SMS to other countries by cheap and professional way. After plivo we understood they have most valuable products and have a good support. Now we are sending SMS all of then world.

Pros

Plivo give its customers cheap products with a better support

Cons

They need to make their customer panel better.

Olamide from BDSwiss

Great Product and Service

Pros

Easy to integrate API Prompt response from support

Cons

Not a con per se, more of a feature request. Ability to fallback and send message with default number in the case the country being sent to does not support customized sender name instead of failing.

Easy to setup SMS notification API based system

We needed to have a branded SMS message for Denmark , and Plivo team helped us greatly in getting all the approvals from mobile operators.

Pros

The API integration was very accessible , with plenty of examples. In our case we used Python , and the interface setup took less than 15 minutes.

Cons

There is not feedback on selected phone number used to send SMS from API. I would like to have a list of pre-approved phone numbers that could be used to send the messages.

Great API

Pros

Easy to implement Cost Good Tech Support

Cons

Cost prohibitive for non-US applications

Piotr from Bumper Ball

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Good for SMS automation

Plivo sends an automatic sms informing my customers that the offer has been sent to them from my email address and they should have a look at in their inbox.

Pros

Low sms rates and reliability are the key factors I use it.

Cons

I needed a programmer to set it up for me via API.

Gil from LineOne

Pretty awesome!

It has been great. Really enjoy it. I've used it for a lot of debugging and it has helped to troubleshoot my issues.

Pros

It is pretty easy to use and has been reliable for my business. My business probably wouldn't exist without it.

Cons

I'd like MMS support. Would love to be able to send high quality messages to my users.

shubham from 360 degree cloud technologies

Api issue

I got stuck while using api for plivo but the plivo support helped me get over it.

Pros

I had some issues, but the support helped me solved that problem asap.

Cons

Their API documentation should be more detailed.

Dilraj from Click Labs

Messaging users made easy!

Great software for sending text messages via Developer APIs

Pros

Easy to integrate APIs for sending users messages on you platform. Just add the money in your account, and, u are ready to send messages using the developer APIs made available by Plivo.

Cons

The test account does not enable u to send the messages until both the sender and the receiver numbers are verified first.

Rory from Restoply

Industry: Restaurants

Solid Value for Price

Buying numbers and managing 1-1 end user conversations for our clients. It has been simple, reliable, and effective.

Pros

The reality is that it's the Twilio alternative. But because it's cheaper, we do most of our flow through Plivo. So what I like most is that their API matched Twilio's exactly. This made switching and saving money a breeze.

Cons

The dashboard is slightly oversimplified. It's cut down to the bare bones which has benefits, but some views that I find useful are not present.