• icon"It's very intuitive with a good layout, good screen prompts and useful online help. The reports I use (contribution statements, various other reports on contributions) are clear and flexible."
  • icon"IconCMO is very thorough in its application but the best thing is their customer service. I have been a customer for about 6 years and over the years have reached out numerous times for help."
  • icon"It's simply the best program and I have recommended it to all our area secretaries. Keep up the good work, IconCMO."
  • icon"The only thing I dislike about this software is not being able to rewrite or reorganize some of the reports."
  • icon"I've had trouble finding the search function to look up a journal entry, and I have trouble searching anonymous cash gifts."
  • icon"Once in a process I find it difficult to close out if in trouble or to find where I was when I try to styart over."

All IconCMO Reviews

Vania

IconCMO ROCKS

I have been working with IconCMO since 2006 and I recommend it to any church that needs to keep their financial records in order. Upon my recommend my mother’s church has adopted IconCMO and is appreciating the ease of use especially since they’ve had to deal with using a temporary as they fill their financial officer position. This has saved them countless hours of work when the new person started so they didn’t have to do any research or catching up of financial entries that needed to be made. This year our church started a building campaign and IconCMO has helped us in monitoring, planning and providing reports which are needed by bankers, leasing agents and government agencies. We are so thankful to have this software as we plan and grow.

Pros

I have used IconCMO since 2006. The main function we use is to keep all the financial records for offerings and paying of bills. I love the ease of use when a question comes up about an expenditure. It’s very easy for me to find the details and report on the question in a timely manner. I also appreciate the quarterly and year end statements. I have hundreds of statements to send out but the majority of my time is spent stuffing the envelopes because printing the statements is quick.

Cons

I would love it if the alternate address when used, would show up in reports and on the contribution entry page. Thankfully it is used on the statements.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the awesome review, Vania! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful for your business over the years.

Replied November 2018

Steve

ICON Has Been A Blessing

We were users of Logos for ten years. After they were bought out their customer service really declined and then they went downhill from that. We found out they were going out of business on a text support call. The customer service team never got in touch with us. When we finally sorted things out we were faced with grossly higher costs and a costly paid data transition. We began a new evaluation process and selected ICON as it met our needs at a very good price point. We upgraded from an old, thick client system that was cumbersome to a fantastic web based set of tools. The data transition was simple and we had a great experience getting started with ICON. We love the functionality and reporting.

Pros

The software is built with intuitive and simple to use graphical user interfaces (GUI). The layout of the GUI are well thought out and make the user experience pleasant and simple. The ability to move seamlessly between them heightens the experience. Whether it is managing families, people, giving or accounting functions, ICON has been a great upgrade for us from our prior software.

Cons

There are a few layout issues where the experience could be improved. The good news is that when we mention them the ICON Team listens and we have already seen improvements in the short time we have aubscribed.

Reasons for choosing IconCMO

We liked the functionality and direct interface to accounting. We did not want a package that had to also have Quick Books. We preferred a more seamless approach. He other options with accounting offered no better functionality at a higher price. The responsiveness of the other software teams also left something to be desired. All in all, we got the functionality we needed at a fair price with a helpful team. What more could we ask for?

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Steve! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you on board with IconCMO.

Stasia

mixed - relatively easy on the simple things, complicated on things that don't need to be

We appreciate that this software doesn't require computer expertise to run. We also appreciate the integration of our membership records with financial so that we can keep all things in one place. It also works well with a volunteer run congregation - people can access records from home with a personal sign-in that gives them access to only the data they should have access to. It does need better integration though of the minor items like homebound visit records showing up under the member's individual record. And an improved search capability would be nice.

Pros

My favorite thing about ICON is that we can record visits with members. We also appreciate that it integrates membership data with financial so that all of our record keeping is in one place. The cloud is great because our volunteers can access it from their homes. I like that I can add significant dates like baptism & confession of faith. I like that I can access it from my phone. I appreciate that we can attach photos to names. The best part is that we can give out different passwords with different levels of access,.

Cons

I find printing the reports I want to print difficult. It would be nice to have better search features - so that I could search for anyone who was baptized on a certain date. Or I could search for people with a certain spiritual gift. It is also hard to create different types of connections between members - I wish there was a way you could connect extended family without making them a household. The financial set-up is confusing to people who do finances for a living. I also wish that we always had access to an empty example that we can use for discussion and training without having to sign in to real data to do this. Also the turn-over of fiscal year might be nice if this could be done by multiple type of users.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the review, Stasia. We appreciate your feedback! Please give us a call. We can definitely hook you up with a demo account so you can try things out.

Replied July 2017

Josiah

Great All-In-One Management Software

We are able to handle weekly contributions that are taken up during services as well as have the ability to import our online giving through Vanco seamlessly. We can manage all of our payables and print reports on demand. Payroll setup is easy, as is the members and groups portion of the software. I like that it is online so I can manage things if I have to be out of town or away from my office computer.

Pros

Everything is in one place so we can track our attendance, manage membership, pay bills, receive contributions including online giving, and manage employees and handle their payroll. They have made improvements to the user screens to make processes more intuitive and streamlined so less windows have to be opened up within the screen.

Cons

I was less familiar with double entry accounting so it took a little bit of getting used to after having worked exclusively with QuickBooks prior to being employed here.

Reasons for choosing IconCMO

ICON seemed to be the most thorough, offering all the services we needed within the same online software. No software to install on the computer, and no forgetting to do memory backups.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Josiah! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer.

Cheryl

So easy to Use

It has been a time saver. It is convenient with being able to work from home or offsite for each of us that enters financial information. The support is amazing, the sand box helps with learning and overall it is very easy to use and keep information to the congregation and board updated.

Pros

The ability to set our account up the way we want, create our budget and handle membership and visitors all in the same software.

Cons

There honestly isn't anything that I do not like about ICON software. We had a few learning curves in the beginning or a few items we wished the software had, and with working with the great staff we now have those items available to us.

Reasons for choosing IconCMO

Recommended by the accountant that reviews our accounts annually.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Cheryl! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer.

Miss

Icon Review 6/2019

My overall experience with Icon has been very pleasant, so much so I'm still using their product! The support team has been extremely patient and kind to me as I struggled to learn their program and/or made stupid mistakes. The training is also done well and the program itself (online) hasn't experienced any issues to note.

Pros

For the price it functions well to process contributions, A/P, and PR for our church needs.

Cons

Some of the A/P processes are not easily amended, as I'd like (journal entries, memo info) but they have improved since I began using Icon. Nor does is the info lines allow for enough characters.

Reasons for choosing IconCMO

The main reason was price and that it accomplished what we needed. But also that another person in our church, who is also a church secretary and covers for me when I'm gone, knows Icon, so it made it an easy transition.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the review, Miss Jan! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer.

Doreen

I Tell all my colleges about Icon!

Love the auto import for our Vanco system, and getting them in each day. very easy to access out of the office and is safe and secure for our guests.

Pros

What I like most is the customer service. The team is very helpful when you call and they pick up the phone (no answer machine). They were helpful with the set up and anytime I call. I have liked all the reports I have, they seem very easy for members to read.

Cons

One item we could use in the software is the grade in school is not listed. Emailing the guests is not the best, emails going out work well, just can't reply or do a reply all on the group.

Reasons for choosing IconCMO

Cost was great and it took care of all our needs. Data and finance. They were church based and easy to work with.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Doreen! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer.

Replied May 2019

Gabrielle

IconCMO is the way to go!

We have been using IconCMO for years, and will continue to use it as our organization grows! Great customer service and tech support!

Pros

The customer service and tech support is always very quick to respond and fix issues and problems for us. The software is easy to use, and provides update notifications with in-depth detail on new features.

Cons

There are some features I wish were easier to utilize. Such as in-software text or email, newsletters, and attendance.

Reasons for choosing IconCMO

Pricing and reviews in addition to overall features.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Gabrielle! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer.

Lisa

IconCMO is helpful for our church

Although the number of reports can be overwhelming, the benefits of using IconCMO far outweigh it. Printing checks, recording credit card transactions, etc are so easy to do with IconCMO.

Pros

IconCMO is much easier than us making our own spreadsheets to keep our church financial information. There are many choices for printing reports.

Cons

Sometimes having the many choices for printing reports is overwhelming.

Reasons for choosing IconCMO

IconCMO offered more choices for book keeping and could be used for our daycare too.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the review, Lisa! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer.

Roy

Efficient and effective

Very responsive and helpful even with accounting rules and guidelines that really isn't their job. Any question receives timely and patient responses with effective accounting standards built into the software.

Pros

Accessibility and security are very effective and easy to put in place.

Cons

No issues, really never had a problem that wasn't fixed almost immediately.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the review, Roy! We appreciate your feedback.

Replied November 2018

Jodi

Over 13 years with ICON

Pros

We have been using ICON for over 13 years, I personally have been using the software for 8 years. We have only purchased the membership and contributions no other accounting software. What I liked about ICON is the many options to create groups and talents of the membership. You are able to sort, export groups, and print labels many functions. The database for the households and each member you are able to track birthdays, baptisms, First holy communion, and marriages and so much more on each member. On both households and members you have many report options to print or view. The Archives love this option, a member is never truly deleted. We have had members move away for years then return to the parish. I always look in the archives to see what information we had on them and un-archive the member back to active status then update the information. The contributions are easy to enter, type a envelope and the amount pretty much that easy to record the tithing of parishioners. The email function in so many places you can email the membership and it records the email so can reference the message later. Overall we are very pleased with the ICON.

Cons

One of my biggest complaints and it sounds very minor but we use a lot of groups. We have groups for households and groups for members. When you select a household then more information you can see the groups the household is part of. My biggest complaints is I can not add or delete a group from that household at that point. I need to go to the group sidebar - manage group to make changes for a household. However this function is available when you are in the member information, you can add or delete groups from the individual.

Response from Icon Systems

Thanks for the review, Jodi. We appreciate your input! I'll pass your suggestion about adding/removing people to/from household groups along to our developers for consideration. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any suggestions, recommendations, or issues you run into down the road. IconCMO is evolving every day and much of our product development is based on feedback from users like you. Have an awesome day!

Carma

Icon has helped our church grow without a headache

I was not involved in choosing the software, but I was involved early on as we started using it. I found it to be fairly intuitive especially for people with any database management background. As a volunteer, my involvement has varied in intensity depending on need and my availability and I find I can jump right in again after being away for a while. Icon and Vanco have both been very accessible for technical assistance. Our church has benefited a lot from this system.

Pros

I like that any number of members of our church can access the system at any time, from any computer. No application download is necessary, just an internet connection. I like that it incorporates donor information with donations - links with the credit card company. I like that things that matter are customizable, like fiscal year of donation, fiscal year start and end dates, families with multiple last names. I love the searchable Q&As, I have often found quick answers to my questions through that. I like the directory ap which we have just started using. I like that icon is always making improvements without making changes that change the functionality in a bad way, or a way that requires retraining.

Cons

I don't find the canned graphs to be what I want, but since the data is easily downloaded I have made good use of excel and access to create what I want. I know there is a reporting module, but it is easier for me to use programs I already know. The attendance module has not been helpful to us, it is too cumbersome to identify attendance of individuals, we track attendance by raw numbers. This is more easily done for us separately in something like excel. Both a pro and a con - where the date ranges are customizable (which is a definite 'pro', they don't 'stick' when choosing a new fund or fiscal year or certain other choices, so they must be entered in again if the wrong sequence is used. Not a big deal, just an inconvenience. I wish there were a place for notes associated with the pledge page - to note specifics about household pledges if needed without having to go back to the household page for notes, also as sometimes $ notes are more confidential. I have not yet found where text input by the donor in Vanco webservices transfers to icon. I don't think it does and I wish it did. These are all minor 'cons', more like suggestions for future improvements.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Carma! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer. Stay tuned! We are working on some updates to the graphs. :) Also, there is a place to record a head count in the general attendance module. Please give us a call at (218) 236-1899 and we'll be happy to show you how.

Dottie

One stop shopping

Quickbooks does not allow for designated gifts to be held across fiscal years without naming them liabilities. That makes for confusion in reporting because you may have a starting balance of $0, get in donations of $1000, send a check to, say, a food pantry of $1000 and have an ending balance of $0. In reporting it looks like nothing at all happened. Not so with IconCMO where a fund can be set up and the ins and outs are reported clearly. IconCMO has added transparency to reporting. Having all systems tied together has reduced workload on both treasurer and secretary.

Pros

Integration of all systems is great. I used to use Quickbooks, Revelations and Excel to do what this does in one. The Vanco tie in is extremely helpful as well. The ability to work within funds has been good once I understood fund accounting better. Definitely designed for the non-profit in mind, unlike QB. Cloud-based is very helpful to me, giving me the opportunity to work from home somewhat, and for the pastors to access the directory and to enter visitation notes remotely. Many parishioners appreciate the ability to see their giving online and to receive statements via email.

Cons

The learning curve is huge. Most church treasurers typically do not have an in depth accounting background, are often a department of one (no team to consult with/learn from) and learning this takes time. The videos are somewhat helpful, but more personalized training would be fabulous. The expectations of this church as far as separation of funds go are high and it requires a lot of processes to maintain them reasonably. I have asked why there cannot be "sub-funds" (as in separated named memorials under a larger memorials fund) and was told that it was not up to GAAP. I don't see why John Doe's memorial would have different tax implications than Jane Doe's if they were separate funds or lumped together. That makes for many journal entries to keep records and reporting the way our memorial committee wants. Same for missions/youth/building etc. Also, searching the help section results in way too many hits that have nothing to do with the questions to which I need answers. I rarely if ever use that function anymore.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Dottie! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer. P.S. We're currently working on clearing out some of the old posts in the support forum. Hopefully that'll make it easier for you to use.

Marlene

Using ICON for church membership

Overall it has been a good experience. The times that I have needed to call for help, I have had my questions answered. It is nice that it is cloud/internet based so that if I am off-site and need to do something/find something in the database, I am able to access it.

Pros

With this software we are able to keep track of our members -- current and past. It is nice to be able to archive member information if they have passed away or transferred, it becomes a historical record. We are able to create reports and various groups based on our needs. For example, we have a group for those we mail bulletins to and for certain age groups for children. We are also able to create reports based on giving records; these records do not have to show personal information, the information can be data only.

Cons

I find there are a couple fields in the member info that it seems like if I fill it out once, it should transfer to the smiliar field in another view, but it does not so we then need to fill it in/update it twice. For example, it would be nice if it would automatically pick up the 2 adult members from a household and make those the household name, but it does not, it only lists the name selected as "head of household." It is sometimes hard to find answers in the help section, it appears to be mainly questions others have asked, so sometimes the answers are out-of-date because parts of the software have changed/been updated.

Response from Icon Systems

Thank you for the kind words, Marlene! We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful to have you as a customer. When you create a new household, the system will automatically take the household name and create the family member record(s) for the head(s) of household. It's possible this setting was turned off on your account. Please give me a call at (218) 236-1899 and we'll take a look. We hear you--we're currently working on cleaning outdated and irrelevant posts from the support forum so it's easier to find the help you're looking for.

Replied May 2019