All ShelbyNext Membership Reviews

Reviewed June 2019

Took Us To The Future

PROS

Love the way you can tie together a profile and giving seamlessly. Annual giving statements are easier and we are all cloud-based!

CONS

It was pretty stressful migrating from CCB to ShelbyNext. It was worth it after weeks of cleaning out a dirty CRM database.

Jodi

Reviewed September 2019

Having the ability to access this program without being hardwired to the database has changed everything for us. And the apps make it easy to make changes quickly and easily on the fly. Overall we are so pleased with the capability of all the faucets and Shelby Next.

PROS

We have a big church and have thousands of congregants - Shelby has allowed us to create a more personal portfolio for each of them. It's hard to know them all individually - but shelby has helped us disciple to each of them on a level that meets them where they are - because we can in real-time track their attendance, giving, small groups, classes and their prayer requests. It's revolutionized our congregational care - among many other wonderful ways it's served our church.

CONS

I don't work with the financial part of the program - but I do know there were some crossover issues from the old Shelby that made the integration challenging. Although, once it was completed, it's worked seamlessly.

Reasons for switching to ShelbyNext Membership

Our Church was using the old hardwired Shelby and our campus (satellite campus) used planning center because we needed something wireless and easier for our smaller campus. All the perks we needed and didn't have with the old Shelby (but found in Planning Center) were given to us with Shelby Next - along with many more.

Laura

ShelbyNext: A "love/hate" relationship

It seems that ShelbyNext is somewhat a step backwards from V.5.

PROS

Like the Check-In, but it's frustrating not to be able to customize font sizes or to choose to print only first names. There is much white space on the name tags but it's not possible to make the name larger. I also like being able to search for a name by putting in only part of the name, either first or last, or both. I, personally, have had pretty positive experiences with support, but others in my organization have had rude responses.

CONS

Several things: It's not possible to add an entire family at one time. Instead, each person must be added & then linked as a family which is more time-consuming. When running reports, inactive people show up even if "active" is selected. Also, when running reports, the only choices are labels or a list with no addresses, no phone numbers, etc., unless it's exported as a CSV file. When one does that, every field in the record is exported & then needs to be weeded out if not needed in the report data. When searching for an individual, one can enter just a part of the name, but what comes up doesn't always match what's been entered. Even when a match does show, it's not always the top choice.

Reasons for switching to ShelbyNext Membership

I wasn't privy to all the reasons, but part was being able to make changes to the website & keep it up to date ourselves.

Very Happy With ShelbyNext

We love that it is cloud based and accessible through our phones, laptops and tablets. Once we got through the conversion and learning curve, we all really like the functionality of Shelby!

PROS

For me the connection between Membership & Financials makes my work seemless!

CONS

Changing from another software to Shelby had it's challenges but I think all conversions do! The way Shelby does not really 'track' visitors for reporting or historical purposes has also been a challenging change for us.

Our database was too large for Church Windows

Our database was too large for Church Windows

Donna

Religious Institutions, 2-10 employees

ShelbyNext Membership

Keeping our membership database organized, tracking contributions, creating ways to track interactions and streamline our pastoral care process.

PROS

It is user friendly and allows our congregation to access needed information.

CONS

Would like to have more flexibility with tracking interactions. Wish you could reassign interactions or assign them to more than one person.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

We had been using Shelby for quite some time and liked the cloud based features of ShelbyNext.

Douglas

Needed items

I am between Luke warm and warm

PROS

I like the connectedness between membership and the financials. This is why we went with the membership. I also like the calendar.

CONS

I don't like the absence of some items. E.g. it doesn't email me when a staff member requests time off through the portal. This is not user friendly.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

Cost and our experience with the financials

Reasons for switching to ShelbyNext Membership

CCB did not have a financially feasible financial module.

Debbie

Reviewed September 2019

Membership

PROS

Easy to navigate. Pastors can easily find information and can access the app from the their phone. Life Groups can take attendance on their phones which eliminates the need to manually input the information.

CONS

We have 3 separate Shelby softwares to perform the duties that Shelby v5 did. We use Shelby Giving, ShelbyNext Membership and ShelbyNext Financials. The systems are integrated but you have to use each of the three softwares to process offerings or add giving funds. It all works really well, just wish we didn't have to log in to 3 separate systems with 3 separate userids and passwords.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

Realm did not have an integrated financial package

Shelby v5 was no longer going to be supported

Landon

Reviewed August 2019

Very happy with our choice...

I’m happy with it, and the training we got leading up to implementation was excellent.

PROS

Ease of use for the end user. Wanted something more simple than what we had before.

CONS

What’s “in the box” is what you can do. We didn’t want anything as complicated as we’d had in the past, but there are a few things we wished we could tweak.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

We demoed several products, but as a team we felt Shelby Membership was the way to go. Our prior relationship with Shelby was an important factor as well.

Reasons for switching to ShelbyNext Membership

Not user friendly. Needed database admin to maintain.

Jason

Membership App

ShelbyNext serves as our church database program for logging attendance, managing workflows, assigning tasks, and tracking membership. It has been a good product overall.

PROS

Slick interface. Good customer service.

CONS

No spell check on the desktop site. Limited ability to customize reports.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

Migrating to ShelbyNext was easier because we were already on a Shelby product.

Reasons for switching to ShelbyNext Membership

Cost savings and simplification. We also wanted to move to a cloud based system.

Matt

Reviewed May 2018

Good membership management for churches that need more than just the basics

PROS

It's entirely web-based, so it can be used anywhere. It comes with mobile apps for major mobile device platforms, so getting to data when not at a computer is easy. Creating individuals and adding them to families is simple and the UI is fairly pleasant to use. The integration with Shelby's giving/donation service works well and the software allows members to see their giving in simple, easy to view reports. Every action by staff and admins is logged for accountability purposes. Access to various parts of the system can be controlled granularly, so administrators and staff can see only what they need. For example, giving records can be limited so that only business office members can view them. The system also supports groups: public and private alike, so members can self-join public groups, but in other cases can't even see certain groups. This is helpful for organizing membership in various ways. Reporting is also fairly straightforward so staff can grab quick stats on various aspects of the membership. Reports can also be locked down according to what each staff member should be able to see.

CONS

There's no support for custom domains (e.g. "members.mychurch.com") Reporting is too simple in many cases and there's not enough customizability for the data that the system can hold (e.g. being able to generate a report on which members are missing photos). Volunteer management is still very limited / non-existent. Churches that need to see a high level view of which members are doing what should probably look elsewhere. Scheduling conflicts between various areas of ministry is not yet trackable. The calendar functionality leaves much to be desired. There's some good stuff in place around being able to request availability of rooms, equipment, etc, but it's all silo'ed into the proprietary calendaring system. There needs to be support for managing events through Google Calendar or similar external systems that might already be integrated into the ministry. There are rough spots to the UI, especially around searching, viewing member photos, and generating reports. The giving integration aspects are nice, but I wish they were more tightly integrated. I wonder how many ministries actually use a different giving solution? Overall, it would make more sense for members to be able to give from one portal rather than having a separate offering.

Alisha

Reviewed August 2019

Huge step up from Version 5, user friendly, but could still use a few more tweaks to make better

I would save over all it has been great. Again there are a few things I would like some help with, but I would pick this program again. I hope that it continues to improve! I would like to see a way for "notes" to be save on to a persons account or to list old phone numbers, emails, or addresses.

PROS

How user friendly it is and that it is on the cloud. I love that all of our staff can have their phones in their hands and get church members info without having to be connected to our server or at their computer. As the Administrative Assistant this has saved me SOO much time! I also like the forms - but its also the thing I think needs some work. I love being able to attach events and classes to profiles easier through the forms.

CONS

That everytime someone submits a form a new profile is made. I have called customer service about this so many times and I have never recieved a return call. I also think the calendar could use some work - Its not as user friendly as everything else. I was told that we could put the calendar on our website - but I still haven't found how to do that... and again, customer service hasn't called me back about that either.

Easy transition from V5.

Becca

Reviewed February 2020

ShelbyNext | Membership

We upgraded our Shelby to ShelbyNext a couple years ago, and it's been WORLDS better. Before, we had to go to our "Shelby experts" in the office to sort of figure out how to do anything, and now, it's so simple and user friendly that you almost don't need training to utilize it. It's been great with how much employee turnover we've had in the past year.

PROS

In SheblyNext | Membership, I love that as soon as you open the application, you're greeted with a search bar that you can type whatever small tidbit of information your have on someone, and instantly get it. It's been extraordinarily helpful when I'm in the receptionist roll. I'm also a big fan of how nicely organized all the details of each individual is laid out, and I love that you can link families together.

CONS

We upgraded from the '80's-'90's version of Shelby, and what I miss the most is being able to see an individual's overall attendance percentage from their attendance page instead of just green checks or red x's.

Kimberly

Great Upgrade from V5

I am very satisfied with the rate of updates continually made on this product to improve the user experience.

PROS

If you are a Shelby user, currently using V5, you will love this newer version. The cloud based product is incomparable in ease of use. Our congregation loves having the church directory in an app.

CONS

The reporting is completely different from V5 and takes a while to get used to.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

We were already a Shelby user.

Cloud based

Liz

Reviewed August 2019

We have been struggling with forms created duplicate Shelby membership profiles when payments are made through online giving. Can't get a straight answer on why it happens or how to fix it.

PROS

I feel Shelby Membership is user friendly, not difficult to navigate. Most features are self-explanatory.

CONS

Support. We have been trying to resolve an issue since August of 2018. I have emailed with 4 different people. The name I was given never responded to me after emailing on 10.4.18 and 11.18.18. Customer service lacks when trying to resolve 'large issues' over long periods of time. I'm disappointed not one person has bothered to take ownership of our issue and work with us to resolve it. Need more tutorials for those beyond basics.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

Shelby was chosen before I started working for Grove.

Cynthia

Reviewed May 2018

I think overall the platform works well, but don't get notified when there is an updated feature.

Helps keep us organized, but there are limitations

PROS

I like the interactions and being able to mass email groups, just wish there was a "sent" feature to show somewhere instead of it being logged as an interaction.

CONS

Better way to organize Groups and customize the Groups finder embed for a website. Also if when they sign up, you can choose who that gets emailed too, because we have Groups leaders who don't work in the office and we would rather filter that through our administrators rather than the leaders. It would be nice to still show who the leader is when they view the finder online, but have another custom field for who that sign up goes to. The calendar embed feature would be nice if we could customize that more as well.

Denise

ShelbyNext Usage

PROS

It is quick and easy on most things. Calendar entry is fast. Looking up names is fast. However, you should not have to look at ALL NAMES, even the people who have moved on.

CONS

The Calendar - it is easy to add new things, but could use some more sorting, editing options. It would be nice to select optional dates for events. At the present time, if you put an event to happen every week, but would like to skip a week or two, you cannot do that in the initial entry. We have contacted about this many times. They seem to ignore calendar fixes! Also, we need to be able to print a calendar list that includes dates, times and room numbers. Again, we have asked several times to no avail.

Brittni

Reviewed October 2019

Comparison is the thief of joy

ShelbyNext is an upgrade from the last version of Shelby v.5, which I never used. Having only seen it, I can say that ShelbyNext looks a lot more streamlined and more modern, but still not as up to date style/formatting wise as other church directory database/info sites. We've had several instances where when problems arose, customer service reps were just as perplexed with the issue. However, in recent days I have seen some improvements that at least proves that the developers are listening to the issues and trying to find the best solutions.

PROS

Ease of searching for member information, inputting attendance, creating groups and adding new members and editing group after creation.

CONS

Mass contact emails - a very rudimentary style. It does not include easier way to input images without having source URLs. I'm also not crazy about their app - it's not as user-friendly as it appears. Access to the calendar only allows 3 months of viewing and does not allow even admins to edit through the app calendar.

Style/formatting, app availability

Walter

An almost-there product

We used the locally hosted version of Shelby for over almost two decades and made the switch to the hosted version after evaluating other options. It's a good product for membership tracking, but not yet a great product.

PROS

Basic functions in ShelbyNext Membership are easy to use and the software is responsive. It's custom made for churches and a church of our size (~800 people) seems a good fit for how they have the software organized.

CONS

ShelbyNext Membership needs to be more customizable, especially with its reporting. Personalizing reports is practically non-existent and adding this one feature would GREATLY enhance its usability. The lack of a reporting module severely limits our ability to use this to its fullest.

Reason for choosing ShelbyNext Membership

Ease of migration from the previous version of Shelby software.

Teresa