All Otter Reviews

Mariah

March 2022

A great option for quick video transcription

Zaiba

One of the Best Transcription Softwares

One of the best tools I have used so far. Otter has a restricted range of capabilities, but it excels at what it does. Otter will assist you in many ways and save you time if you're seeking for a simple approach to take notes during a business call or if you're an author wanting to publish a book.

Pros

1.When I first used Otter I was amazed by its accuracy and the way it interpreted multiple sounds and speakers. 2. Export options are essential for transforming your podcast, video, or other content into a blog post or recycled content. 3.Price is reasonable, and even the cheapest subscription plan provides a significant amount of transcription time. 4. It takes relatively little time to upload and transcribe recordings.

Cons

1. Earlier the site would give 600 minutes of free transcription services every month which was helpful for beginners to get started, now that option is reduced to only 3 imports. 2. The main drawback is that while an individual can create a folder under their account, they cannot share it with other members of the group or with extra work email accounts. 3. The editor's quick keys are weird. Frequently, I discovered that a key did two things at once when I only wanted it to do one.

May 2022

Otter Helps Me Keep Track of Meeting Chaos

Using Otter for recording and transcriptions of online meetings has made my workload a little smaller and made it easier for me to be fully there when I am leading the meeting, instead of having to worry about running the meeting and taking notes, I can focus on the discussions happening in the moment.

Pros

I love that instead of having to rely on handwritten notes through out a meeting I can actually focus on what is happening, knowing that I will have both a recording of the meeting and a transcription to use for the after-meeting minutes.

Cons

The 30-minute recording upload limit is a bummer but I can work around it. I do wish I could use the allotted time each month in whatever amount I needed.

Reasons for choosing Otter

Otter was recommended to me by a mentor, and it has free option that, so far, is sufficient for me. The paid versions are also quite reasonable, should I need to upgrade in the future.

Joy

January 2023

Great product for reviewing meeting info

It's been outstanding as in meetings it's sometimes hard to get all the information needed.

Pros

I like the option for both text and voice for review. It has been very easy to navigate through the notes and helps with reporting.

Cons

There haven't been any cons to the software. Nothing at this point that I can say I dislike. It's a click of a button and your ready to go.

Brian

June 2022

Just An Otter Speech-to-Text Tool

It was fundamentally okay, but that's the best it ever got. No real complaints but I have no complements to reccommend it, either.

Pros

It was easy enough to operate and accurate enough for your work to flow fairly smoothly. And it never needed a readjustment once your voice levels were set. Altogether a serviceable tool.

Cons

For some reason I found it difficult to find at times, and it was different in the way it processed your speech, then you had to copy and paste the text and the text might be on a different web page.

Reasons for choosing Otter

The Windows tool was a little quirky to launch and wasn't as accurate as I needed it to be. The others I used laterally whikle decuding which to use permanently. I chose Lilyspeech.

Reasons for switching to Otter

The Windows tool was a little quirky to launch and wasn't as accurate as I needed it to be. The others I used katerally whikle decuding which to use permanently. I chose Lilyspeech.

November 2022

If you work for a remotely connected company, this is essential

This app is helpful in picking up keywords and finding the location in the zoom call where that keyword was discussed. But i think without the zoom recording alongside the transcripts, they are not much help for our needs. It would be interesting to see how this app's transcriptions compare with competitors like Fathom.

Pros

With so many zoom meetings, it's really helpful to be able to search transcripts to see who said what, or what the final word was on a discussion.

Cons

The AI transcription could be a lot better. The punctuation is off and maybe people talk too fast but it's rarely accurate. You have to do a lot of deciphering to determine what people we really saying, or listen along with the zoom recording. I don't know if all ai note taking apps are like this though. I also wish that it would capture everyone's name from the zoom meetings, for some reason only some names are captured and others are just listed as "Speaker 1" or "Speaker 2",etc.

Bonnie

Industry: Publishing

January 2023

Easiest to use, has all the features I want

I use Otter to make transcripts for my podcast--and to allow me to quickly review the content of an episode without re-listening to it. It's easy to use and not too expensive.

Pros

Otter makes uploading and transcribing easy. I tried free trials on a couple of other transcription sites, and none of them were as intuitive or clean interface-wise as Otter. The speech recognition is pretty good, and it's very easy to edit when needed.

Cons

I would rather be able to pay a per-hour cost than a subscription, but that's not a big deal. With the annual subscription, the price is manageable.

Reasons for choosing Otter

Otter had the best free trial, and the trial was enough to convert me. When my trial was up, I tried a couple of other options, but none of them were as good, so I went back to Otter and bought the pro plan

Heejin

December 2022

Life-saver for taking notes and making transcripts

Pros

Otter offers highly accurate audio transcription and recording. The best part is that you can click on phrases and sentences in a transcription to replay the corresponding recording. The software can identify new voices/speaker chances as well. This is a god-send for saving time and improving accuracy for transcribing meets, podcasts, or videos.

Cons

The free version only allows 30 minutes of transcription at a time. If you need to record/transcribe longer than that however, you can just start a new transcription recording.

Maggie

transkriptoreasy

it is not really brilliant when it comes to feedback. too many mistakes

Pros

the recorder that is on the actual app and the fact that I can record and immediately upload my own voice as the lack of a better word - the Algorithm

Cons

That it only does English and European languages and no African languages

Taylor

Great software

Pros

I really like this software for note taking and captioning.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about this software.

Martin

December 2022

Great tool if you have alot of meetings

Pros

Otter is a useful tool for transcribing and organizing audio recordings. Its AI-powered transcription is accurate and saves me time.

Cons

One potential downside of using Otter is that it may not be 100% accurate in transcribing all spoken words, especially if the audio quality is poor or there are multiple speakers with different accents. This can lead to some transcription errors that may need to be corrected manually.

Ricki

September 2022

Otter.ai works, but I’ve moved on from it.

I feel otter can’t get helpful when you need something quick and it doesn’t need to be perfect.

Pros

It was super easy to use as my first transcription software. I like the ease of use.

Cons

But there are limits to its usefulness when it miss hears words and phrases and I need to go back to the video/audio to check what was said.

Mary

Industry: Online Media

Essential for our interviews

As a nonprofit media organization with a team of volunteer reporters, Otter makes it easy for us to capture every interview and get stories written in an efficient way.

Pros

Otter works seamlessly as a desktop or mobile app, making recording and transcription available wherever our reporters may be.

Cons

Otter recently reduced the free version of the software to 30 minutes of transcription, rather than 45.

Industry: Online Media

Generally accurate transcription and easy to use service

Overall, I'm happy with Otter. It has sped up my work tenfold - instead of having to sight and transcribe interviews for an hour and a half I'm able to get it automatically transcribed in no time and then just spend 10-15 minutes cleaning it up. Excellent product - accuracy is good, speed is good and usability is excellent.

Pros

Otter is incredibly easy to use, where in 'live transcription' or recorded transcription. The transcription itself is generally accurate. There are mistakes (I'd be astounded if there weren't) but it gets the transcription generally correct and then it is a pretty easy process to skim through it and edit the text as appropriate (editing is an absolute breeze!)

Cons

The payment tiers are a little restrictive - you don't get much for free with the service.

Reasons for switching to Otter

Cost. Going through a formal transcription service was costing too much and transcribing myself was too time consuming - switching to Otter saved significant amounts of time and money and kept the transcription to a generally high standard.

Great for the Classroom

Pros

I am a second career student and can't remember things as well as I used to. I user Otter to record my classes and then listen to the parts I struggled to remember. It works out great, even if I am not sitting in the front row. Even when the transcription isn't before because of uncommon words, the audio is strong enough to allow me to override the text.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the transcription can take a while. I synced my calendar, but it started picking up things I didn't want to record and became annoying, so I disconnected it.

Meghan

Perfect for college students & work meetings

Overall, I think it’s a super helpful tool for people who need notes and audio to remember important details during meetings, presentations or lectures.

Pros

I liked this software a lot as I utilized it a lot in college. I had to focus on writing notes fast otherwise the presentation slides would disappear as my professor was discussing the lecture. This allowed me to focus on writing notes while recording the lecture. Then go back and listen to the lecture if I didn’t get focus on what they were saying.

Cons

I didn’t like that I had to go back and check for errors in audio translation to text. Sometimes words would not make sense for the context, so I would need to go back and listen to the audio to figure out what words were actually said.

Fraser

Otter is fantastic

Great experience with Otter. I use the app to record myself dictating content into my phone when I walk as I combine exercise with content marketing and I also use it to record conversations with clients to easily turn the knowledge in their heads easily into written content.

Pros

It just works so well. The quality of transcription is great even with my Scottish accent which sometimes troubles transcription software and the app works so well too.

Cons

Nothing, honestly. And the fact that it as such a great free level makes it insane value. It is easy to use and extremely accurate.

Reasons for choosing Otter

I haven't needed to look at others much though I do use them.

Sikandar

Industry: Writing and Editing

July 2022

Almost Accurate But Not Perfect

Pros

Otter is a great tool for transcribing audio files. I've used it for transcribing some audio files that I had to convert into blog posts. It's been fairly accurate, and the automatic splitting of the files into different speakers is helpful.

Cons

If the speaker is a non-native English speaker or has a heavy accent, Otter will often struggle to understand them. This can be frustrating and lead to inaccurate transcriptions. Also, the free version only allows users to transcribe 3 audio files — that's the lifetime limit, not per month.