Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"I love how it is so easy to communicate to a whole group or team."
  • icon"Very cost effective to switch over to and use year to year."
  • icon"I enjoy the ease of use of this software. It is very easy as an administrator to add or edit information seamlessly."
  • icon"I don't really know what I dislike about this software."
  • icon"The payments are automatic and we had little to no control over who was charged what. We also didn’t like that the parents had to pay on the first."
  • icon"There were not many features and I personally did not end up using this software as frequently. Ultimately being a waste of my parents' money."

Have you used SportsEngine and would like to share your experience with others?

All SportsEngine Reviews

Glenn

June 2022

Great Product, Awful Customer Service

Kimberly

Took on this project and Sports Engine made it easy and the support is fantastic.

Parents at the High School LOVE the fact that they can be communicated with, the calendar is easy to read. And all forms and information is all in one place.

Pros

Easy to use! Easy to train others to use. Tech support is very helpful. Helped me brand our Athletic Dept and families LOVE it! Easy to access and full of all the information parents need at our High School.

Cons

When I go to the helpful videos, I can't search a specific topic. Too many articles come up for the topic I choose. Other than that, absolutely NO problems with Sports Engine.

Kraig

Why I chose SportsEngine

I've been with these guys from the beginning with multiple sports and clubs. They keep improving, keep listening and are generally fun people to work with. I think there's room for improvement in their product and they keep doing that, which is what I appreciate the most. They're also far ahead of their competition in terms of support and engagement with their user community.

Pros

SportsEngine is more than a website. It's team collaboration software, content sharing, volunteer management, financial management and more. I still use other software tools, but I wouldn't have to, and in many cases it's just a matter of taking the time to migrate to SportsEngine's better solutions. I still use Ground.Work for collecting fees, because it's cheaper, but SportsEngine would be easier for me in the long run, if my board would let me switch.

Cons

There are some features of SportsEngine that I find unintuitive, like News and News Aggregators, but the functionality and support is there, which is far more than I can say for most competitors. I also think some collaborations with partners like Ground.Work or JotForm would make sense to reduce cost and complexity of the existing solutions within the SportsEngine suite.

Reasons for choosing SportsEngine

SportsEngine was and is the best overall sports management solution available for me and my club.

Reasons for switching to SportsEngine

Needed professional help, a more polished site, and better support.

Jon

Great Salesrep, Horrible, Clunky Interface and terrible email editor- stay away!

(There must be a limit above)... but there's more bad news: The registration form must be built by 'SportsEngine Engineers'. There's no way to modify it yourself, and when you do add fields, weird things happen and people can't complete the form. Also, don't add fields like "Parent2 Email Address"... because you would think that means that Parent2 would get copied on email and nothing is further from the truth. Also, the system doesn't recognize registrations from the same family (if they occur separately). The result? No way to calculate a 'Maximum Charge" (In our league it's max $300/family)... This just results in more time wasted explaining the limitations of SportsEngine to parents. The system is cobbled together from a bunch of different technologies... for example, the website editor is different from the registration system, which is COMPLETELY different from the payments system. SportsEngine Sales People... YOU KNOW THIS IS TRUE. DON'T DECEIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS INTO THINKING IT IS JUST ONE SYSTEM. The support is basically chat only, and very, very hard to get a hold of a live human being. Bottom line, we've been using this two seasons already, and this is the last one as far as I am concerned. (Note: We serve around 1,200 families across a handful of sports including basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc.) So if you are still reading this and somehow still considering SportsEngine, absolutely make sure you are shown how to do basic tasks.

Pros

The ability to log in using Gmail is the saving grace of this software. I also like the admin edit mode (the only thing I like about the edit mode), where you can see what the website looks like as a user, and then change components of it. But that's about it.

Cons

Oh, where do I begin??? The HTML editor looks like it is circa 1997. It's was clearly designed for older computers- you can't even see what you are typing-not enough space. Also, What You See is DEFINITELY NOT what you get. For example, you have to know to hit the Enter key twice if you actually want a line space. Also, forget dropping or pasting pictures- you have to know HTML. You have to have a degree in SQL programming to figure out how to pull reports. Worse, there is no common field (like a Google Search field) where you can enter in some piece of information... you have to select filter, then select the field, then select a list of operators... and so on... and this is just to find coaches who are registered for the Boys 3rd/4th grade division. it's so frustrating! Then there are the things you can't do at all... like add an extra email address... This happens all of the time... As an admin, I get requests from parents to add another email address... and I CAN'T DO IT! Only the person who created the account can add additional notification email addresses, and even then (in at least one case) they still don't get emails form the system. And the emails you do get have automatic advertising.... and are definitely NOT mobile friendly. It gets worse from there- Coaches HATE, HATE, HATE using SportsEngine to try and upload schedules or even send messages to their team. They actually voted to go back to email.

Dave

Doubled the size of our club

It's doubled the size of our club in three year. The new site seems to project more confidence but it also appears very high in search engine results for our area, so we have more exposure. It's dramatically reduced the time we have to spend getting information to people or collecting information and fees.

Pros

Once setup, it is easy to prepare for each season by making any changes to past registrations and duplicating them for the next season. It's radically reduced the amount of cash and checks we handle -- almost every transaction goes through the website now.

Cons

Some may find the initial setup tricky but Sports Engine offers a service for setting up your website, and rates that are really good if you compare with having an web design agency doing the work.

Reasons for choosing SportsEngine

We were not 100% certain if either product would be easy to use, until I talked to the webmaster of another club and he raved about Sports Engine and said they love it. That tipped the scales. The price point for Team Snap was higher (I think it was twice the price) and for our purposes Sports Engine seemed to offer everything we wanted.

Reasons for switching to SportsEngine

I was looking at Team Snap and Sports Engine, and we went with Sports Engine for a number of reasons including the mobile app, the price point, and after having a conference call with a sales representative from Sports Engine.

Wally

Youth Football League Loves SportsEngine

Pros

Ease of use. Very cost effective to switch over to and use year to year. High Levels of communication within the tool. SportsEngine is always making changes to try and improve the software. Adaptability between different orgs to use one piece of software for multiple different leagues and sports. I highly recommend this offtware quite to help in running youth sports orgs.

Cons

Sometimes the customer service people take a little longer than you would expect to answer questions.

Reasons for switching to SportsEngine

Cost and how the tool communicates within it.

Eric

Not good customer service

I am really concerned about customer service. Very poor follow up. “POOR”

Pros

Sharp, several element options and feature

Cons

When I need to make any major changes I don’t have the opportunity to move fast.

Reasons for choosing SportsEngine

I thought the professionalism website features and customer service was great

Reasons for switching to SportsEngine

Wanted a more professional website with more features

Rod

We converted our complex custom operational sports web site to Sports Engine platform.

Eliminated our Accounts Receivables, Game Scheduler to go to desktop, IOS/Android Apps, data base generator, Game registrations flexibility and each team registration communications as well as being flexible to enable our live game iScorecast to be incorporated into SportsEngine software.

Pros

The ability to be able to take our unique custom operational sports platform and adapt it and SportsEngine adaptations to get to the end results we wanted thereof. We demand a lot of data both from an analytics but also to users data within the analytics while using other software modules in a fully desktop and IOS/Android apps platform for our club members. SportsEngine has worked with us as we have pushed their system to fit our custom applications and uses thereof. The end result is that we have greatly reduced our staff time on a weekly bases by over 75%. This is huge savings in preparing for a transition plan.

Cons

Registration for events, games and tournaments has some areas for improvement such as Page 2 of a new registration information should all just pop up as the same versus entering the same information over every time. We do between 90-100 registrations and that is the same reentry of information to the registration questions. Especially when it is a copy of a registration to the same site with a new title and that is all that is being changed.

Glenn

Great Product, Awful Customer Service

It was easy to setup our team and the corresponding website that was created was great. After the first year, we kept getting nickled and dimed from SE. We were happy to use the app and website the way we were, but customer service wanted us to use more of their features that were available. We started getting charged MORE for not using online registration or online payments. Our customer service representative didn't like to return calls to work out the problems we faced. We also couldn't get copies of the contract that stated we had to use online registration and payments for players.

Pros

It makes great integration between the mobile app and the website. Easy to use and easy to edit web pages.

Cons

Loss of ability to edit player pages once the players/parents have claimed/registered their athletes makes it very hard as an administrator to correct problems on my own.

Reasons for choosing SportsEngine

More options and functionality.

Reasons for switching to SportsEngine

SE offered a better website experience.

Kip

Database Doesnt Work They just take money

The customer service has become terrible. The database was flawless till the end of June and now simply does not work.

Pros

The program is a series of templates that you can manipulate for your specific organization. The system is fairly robust in the options and ways you can get what you need done.

Cons

The database is not working. It has not worked for over two months. Clients who register I am not able to see nor have any idea who they are. They created a new area to register that should have simplified it, but that has not fully worked either. The phone system doesnt work. If you call they tell you to go to the website and register for a chat or schedule a phone call, then it hangs up. I have been on with support 4-5 times in the past 2 months and they have not resolved it and give you a canned response. As of this date, my database still does not work and the customer support is very poor. Nor have they refunded any monies as I have asked.

Wanda

Worth every penny!!

The organization this has provided, as well as the ease of scheduling, rostering and reports we are able to do with ease puts a smile on our face every time. Often hear "yes, done in record time".

Pros

The software helped us have a functional web site for our league. The mobile app is awesome! Our teams post their stats right after their games, can add photos, view their stats and are able to easily converse with their teammates on availability for their games.

Cons

Waiting and really want the financial functionality that the States leagues have. Having financial data will make the software almost perfect for our league.

Reasons for choosing SportsEngine

Account manager sent a few emails to introduce their product. I replied saying we were Canadian and it would be too expensive with a States platform. A demo was asked if they could present. I agreed to see a demo. Was very impressed and then convinced the board to give this a try. The overall price seemed high, but for all the services and functionality you receive it is worth it. Not only that it is actually super cheap if you take the yearly price and divide by number of teams we have (48).

Reasons for switching to SportsEngine

Made the switch for more functionality with less work on our part.

Eric

SportsEngine: Top of the Standings

I have enjoyed nearly every interaction with SportsEngine associates. Their technical support usually gets back to us quickly. And in the few cases where the answer was not what we were hoping to hear, they were open and honest and explained it to us - and encouraged us to submit a request to change those things.

Pros

We needed an easier system for more people to be able to use - our previous website was complex and only a small number of people knew how to use it. With a youth sports club, volunteers come and go every year and we needed something that could be easily used by a wide range of people with limited training. With SportsEngine, we've been able to expand our users and provide some basic training - their robust Help Center and videos supplement their outstanding technical support team. And their designers worked with us to come up with a great looking site.

Cons

There a few small things we would like changed, but nothing major. Our biggest request involves the Dibs system, which allows people to volunteer for club events - we'd like the ability to re-name that page, as we've found that "Dibs" is confusing for our families.

Reasons for choosing SportsEngine

Ease of use, team communication functionality, Dibs system, robust help section, good customer service.

Reasons for switching to SportsEngine

Described above in the "Pros" section.

Kraig

SportsEngine is the way to go

Pros

This isn't just website/marketing software! It's a web-based platform for running your entire sports organization. It's how we communicate, manage teams, organize events, accept payments and manage registrations. Want to get word out at the last minute about a cancellation? Use SportsEngine to broadcast the message by text and email, with a simple calendar update. Want to bill a parent for their kids extra lesson? Just send them a PowerPay bill online. You'll get paid online and have a record of the whole thing. To top it all off, the whole thing is backed by NBC Sports, so you get all kinds of free publicity at a National level and your organization looks like they've really got it together.

Cons

There are some things that I don't like, but they just keep making it better. Don't like something? Go to a user group meeting and talk to them about it. If your ideas make more sense, you'll probably see them in an update. They have great support and really listen to the needs of their users.

SportsEngine is by far the easiest sports related software platform I've ever used.

Ease of use, improved communication and much more.

Pros

As the Director the Mankato Sports Commission as well as being involved at a volunteer level for numerous sports organizations I have been exposed to and had to use many different sports related software/website platforms. SportsEngine is hands down the best of any I have ever used. In minutes I can show somebody who has never used the software a few basic things and get them up to speed enough that they can easily help manage a website on this platform. I love that you don't need to know how to write code or really any technical aspects in order to make changes or updates.

Cons

Occasionally I run into things I'd like to do on our website that are not available as options however the SportsEngine team always gets back to me in timely fashion to either let me know of a way to do it or let me know if that is something they are working on.

Shawn

7on7 Football with SE

I like the website, I like what it can do and my customer like the way it looks. Now I wish it was easier to get a hold of Customer Service. Or if Customer Service emails back all I get is link on my question. Its very cold and un customer friendly. There is probably so much more I could be doing with my 2 websites but no one will ever spend the time to really help you. You have to figure out everything on your own

Pros

The ability to make it easy on my customers to play with us in our Leagues & Tournaments. Call to action with click through to registration pages set apart from competition

Cons

For first two years I exclusively did my scoring and scheduling on SE. In the last year or so I have gotten away from that as I find it too time consuming and I use Zorts Sports now