(1,059)

1,059

Browse Smartsheet Reviews

Megan from Royal Benefits Group

Critical in daily management

I absolutely love the software and the company. The system meets our needs and is flexible when we need to make adjustments. While the cost is fairly high to start up, annually it is worth the cost, as it streamlines our processes and allows us to be more efficient.

Pros

This is the tool we use every day, every hour, to track all of our enrollments and clients. Our team monitors enrollments and other CRM tools don't give us the flexibility to track multiple events and data points. It's Excel but on steroids with multiple functions and features. We're using it more and more every day for reporting up to our management team on progress for our client events.

Cons

I'm not so good at the formulaic side of things and making sheets talk to each other, or building a dashboard, is not an intuitive process. There are not step by step instructions or visuals which is something I need personally. It's a lot of trial and error in getting things set up. When I first started, it was very expensive to work with someone who helped build the infrastructure base and looking back there are many things I'd have done differently if I'd understood it a little better. A lot of the consultation time was wasted in trying to get the person to understand what we were trying to achieve.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Excel is not robust enough to do what smartsheet does. We still use Excel daily but from a tracking perspective, we were crashing the software daily with the volume of work we had.

Aaron from WOODCHUCK USA

Industry: Wholesale

Good For Value, Limits in Scale

Generally a good experience. Trouble only came when trying to do more advanced data analysis, and workflows.

Pros

Very good with basic project management features. Kanban is great, and you can view data multiple ways (kanban, gantt, table). The workspaces tool is cool, it's a good way to organize reports and data. Reports are great for showing users only the data they need, and keeps them out of source data tables. There is also good cross sheet functions like you would see in excel. Smartsheet is also one of the most widely available tools to be integrated with. Tools like Zapier make it easy to integrate with, and you can also upgrade to a live data connector to visualize your data in a tool like tableau.

Cons

Features can be way behind. They just introduced features like pivot, and group to analyze data. Their internal workflow tools are behind what's commonly available in the marketplace. And if you want to use a separate workflow tool like Zapier, you will pay to use it. Their row limit just went up from 5,000 to 20,000 in a sheet in 2020, which was always a limit of how much we could scale the tool.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Smartsheet is cost effective, and has better control rules and UI than spreadsheets.

Erika from World Book, Inc.

I chose this and love it

Pros

The ability to share sheets and collaborate is absolutely essential between myself and my teams. I like that all of the Smartsheets that I have access to can be organized into folders for easy retrieval and love the ability to pin sheets or go to the most recently accessed to be able to easily find the one I'm looking for. They also often introduce new features, which is great. Also, the automation tools, like the ability to notify someone when a row or field changes, is absolutely key with the way we do business to ensure that everyone is always on the same page.

Cons

This is nit-picky, but I do not like setting up rules for a sheet, and then the email that is sent to people looks like it is sent from "me." I would rather have the email come from Smartsheet instead my email address because in many cases I set up the rules for others and it appears that I am emailing them about it but that is not the case.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

You cannot have multiple people in one Excel document at one time and there is version control issues.

Patrick from Simerson

Solid software for quick and easy spreadsheets & Gantt charts

While I prefer Smartsheet for Gantt charts, or quick and simple spreadsheets due to its ease of use, I have been disappointed with all of the other marketed features, and would recommend Google Sheets in general, since it is similarly collaborative, has better options for in-depth formulas, customizing of sheets and automated emailing with query's and G-script, and is free.

Pros

Smartsheet is my preferred software for Gantt charts, and for quick & simple spreadsheets. The formatting features are especially effective, such as easy indenting and quick checkbox options that can be used with formulas. Gantt charts on Smartsheet are quick and intuitive with all the options I would like to have. Dashboards can be a nice way to have an overview with links to different sheets if you have a project with several documents, and are willing to spend the extra time and money to set it up.

Cons

The big Con with Smartsheet is that it lacks the in-depth features of similar spreadsheet software that is also usually freely available. Conditional formatting the way you would like it to work can take a surprisingly long time, as it can take many conditions (often one per column per action) to accomplish what you would think would take a handful. Automatic email sending from sheets sounds great but is still not very fleshed out, and options are pretty limited. Complex formulas usually need to be done in several hidden columns or they can end up taking large paragraphs of hard-to-edit text and numbers due to lack of formula options. This can also make complicated spreadsheets pretty slow. Bugs occur infrequently, but make me prefer to double check important sheets.

Derek from Verdad Real Estate

Smartsheet: The only reason I have time for vacation

We have solved a plethora of project schedule tracking needs, paired with a system to house our files and notes with a meaningful and useful structure. I use Smartsheet for a 1000 different reasons, and hope that new tools and features keep getting added to my toolbox.

Pros

My favorite tool in Smartsheet would have to be a combination use of automated reminders, overdue milestone reports, assigning staff to tasks, and running detailed reports to check on my team's current progress. Paired with cross sheet cell linking, index/match where needed, and Datamesh when running large scale reporting when conditional formatting may be needed is a bundle of brilliance. Simply a great batch of tools for the job.

Cons

No file renaming option. Limited sheet summary report functionality. Limited batch update tools to revise and align current project sheets. Lack of permission settings without additional purchased feature packages.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

MS Project simply does not have all of the tools needed for success. Smartsheet captures all of the vital points that MSP has to offer and pairs it with real time linking and much more.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

After reviewing the functionality of Smartsheet and the tools it had to offer, we quickly realized that we were missing out on this toolset and Smartsheet could automate the repetitive tasks that our humans were completing. Now we have freed up the extra time needed to allow our current staff to problem solve, rather than spending the day stuck in repetitional tasks.

jonathan from parry custom homes

Smartsheet for Homebuilding company

Customer service is really amazing.

Pros

I love the ability to create tasks and basically create as many filters as I want/need. The new dashboard feature is really nice. I use it for our design requests, precon schedule and we are currently working on using it in our construction schedule. Some slight bugs and limitations but overall working well.

Cons

The calendar apps is just awful. Don't recommend using it. Very limited ability. I wish they would just make tweak the calendar view slightly. Need the ability to show multi columns on calendar date. Also would be nice to display calendar view on a dashboard without publishing it. That on works horribly on the mobile version. We have a lot of field guys and the mobile version is not the best for viewing stuff.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Cant remember. For preconstruction/ design requests we have been using smart sheet for over 6 years. Just recently seen if we can make it work for our construction scheduling with all of our sub contractors. Still up in the air on that.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Wanted to standardize everyone in the company on the same program. Builder trend has pros and cons. Scheduling on builder trend is not as good, however smart sheet has limitations as well. Smart sheet has the potential to blow anything out of the water if they would/ could make the following changes. 1. Create a job folder that can store docs. organize the docs in sub folders so you don't have 100 pdf files all jumbled together. 2. Tweak the calendar view options (calendar app is awful has way to may limitations )

Will from Florida Metal Building Service, LLC

Long Time User - Construction Management

I have been using smart sheets for over 8 years in multiple company's each with different needs, each time I transition to a new company I try an implement smart sheets to help organize the company. Every time I have left a company they have continued to utilize Smartsheet's. Smartsheet's is a very powerful tool that can be utilized and maintained very easily and cost effectively.

Pros

The biggest feature I liked about smart sheets is the capability to be completely designed to the users strategy.

Cons

The that i like the least about this software, is the calendar feature needing ability to pull multiple dates for a single project.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

customizability, use for various functions, cost

Lenoy from NBTC

Smartsheet is straightforward and intuitive

The program is extremely adaptable, allowing it to be used for everything from planning and scheduling meetings to tracking and documenting closeout needs. The automated possibilities, as well as the display variations and accessibility through a variety of device types and input modalities, provide meaningful, clear, and up-to-date information to a wide range of users.

Pros

It is simple, intuitive, and simple to use. Some similar use case software I've used in the past had an excessive number of features that made it difficult to use. This one gave me what I needed without overburdening me in a way that detracted from the product's primary goal of increasing efficiency.

Cons

Other bigger organizational investments, such as in the Office suite, or even using Google Sheets for the same purpose, are likely to render the product obsolete. I didn't see a clear value proposition that was distinctive.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Product flexibility vs. product cost. Adoption is simple during this time. We were correct.... it took some time, but soon everyone got on board and had a good time.

Smartsheet for shared client collaboration

Smartsheet has been easy to implement and use and has been well received by our client. We're happy and considering expanding to other clients.

Pros

We use Smartsheet as a substitute for Google sheets with clients who are not able to use google drive for security reasons. Smartsheet is easy to set up, reasonable cost for a small team, and offers a nice interface for client-facing projects.

Cons

Still learning the ins and outs of Smartsheet, but so far do not have any major issues with our use-case. We are using it for a fairly tailored/niche purpose so I haven't explored it's full range. I'm curious to see the reporting capability.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

We are still using Google Sheets for many clients, but switched to Smartsheets for some clients who require it for security reasons. Would consider using it with others simple for the more polished look and feel.

Nadia from University of Windsor

Great project management tool

Pros

Very easy to use project management tool. Great for collaboration, managing timelines, and event planning.

Cons

Found the tool very useful and easy to use. Could expand a bit further on ways to integrate keeping people on task, but overall great tool.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Wanted greater collaboration features within the platform

Nick from Guild Anderson Furniture Limited

Industry: Furniture

A flexible tool only limited by your imagination and ability with formulae

Smartsheet has been transformational for our business. As a small bespoke kitchen manufacturer (21 staff) we have some industry specific software for design and quoting, but most out of the box ERP software doesn't fit. We don't have an IT department so anything we use needs to be robust, and my background in programming has enabled us to implement some nifty systems using Smartsheet, but without the hassle of actually writing and then maintaining our own programs. Excel just doesn't compare, and is not cloud native so just doesn't work so well even in Office 365. We genuinely cannot live without it.

Pros

Cloud based - available everywhere to everyone Flexibility - it's not only a project management tool, it can do most things that Excel can do, but often better. Specifically column formulae are a fantastic recent addition that enables sheets to become almost unbreakable

Cons

Nothing major. There are some minor gripes: - Slack integration doesn't allow tagging of individuals, and cannot allow a variable to determine which channel to send the message to - Cannot yet control heirarchy with formulae, I hope this function will come eventually

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Flexibility, it's not just project management

Michaela from Michaela Freeman

The Software That Helps Me Create

Pros

I use Smartsheet for a wide variety of projects that are so different in nature it's stunning it can all be done on one platform. I have one sheet for a list of plants I want to buy for my garden, complete with growing conditions and pictures. It does miracles as I stand in a gardening store wondering about the right varieties. I have another for managing my freelance work, budgets, timelines, tasks. Another sheet is a massive collection of ideas for my video channel and blog posts. Then there is the sheet with information about art prints and products I sell - sizes, prices, thumnails. I also organized my husband's secret Birthday party using a contact-based Smartsheet shared with accomplices. We went to our favorite town for "a trip" just to keep meeting over twenty friends from 4 countries who secretly arrived as well. Oh, and did I say that I'm writing a book using a Smartsheet? An unlikely use, given that it's not a text editor, but my chapter segments are short and the key is in organizing them into the right sequence, so, they ended up as cells in a spreadsheet too. The way Smartsheet allows me to attach files, images, notes and comments but still keep it all on the same line is fantastic. It helps me think. The was a mind map opens our brain to possibilities and ideas, Smartsheet nails them down. I use it every time I need to get a sense of structure and organization. It's become my go-to tool for making stuff happen.

Cons

I don't like the fact that I can't easily copy and paste cells from Excel. I don't like to import entire files. Sometimes I just need a section of a sheet to be added. Even if the paste wouldn't be perfect, it should be possible to paste from an Excel sheet or a simple text document where each line would appear in the next row.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

It's just better. I go for functionality over excessive user friendliness. What I do is complex.

Megan from Dexcom

Industry: Medical Devices

Really great product from a really great company

Smartsheet has been a really great company to work with overall. The customer service team is absolutely wonderful. They're super attentive and very knowledgeable. The training resources that Smartsheet provides are also exceptional. Any time I'm trying to figure out something new, it's very easy to find training materials on how to do it and they're very clear and easy to follow. We've been able to make a huge improvement in how we organize and communicate a lot of our work in our department specifically and across the business because of Smartsheet.

Pros

I love how easy it is to collaborate and share information with Smartsheet. With the different permission levels and how easy it was to get our whole company set up with Smartsheet, it has made so much of our project work so much easier and has enabled us to keep all relevant teams, and even just interested parties, up to speed on all that we have going on.

Cons

The one feature that I do wish would be added would be a visual timeline feature like MSP has. A lot of times our executive management team would like to see a simplified timeline with key milestones, but in order to do that with Smartsheet, we have to transfer things into PPT Timeline, which isn't impossible, it's just an added step that is a little inconvenient.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

MSP is more expensive, but more importantly, it's much harder to collaborate with MSP. We couldn't have non-licensed users easily able to view Gantts when needed, couldn't have multiple people easily collaborating on the same sheets at the same time, and couldn't make the dashboards that we are able to put together with Smartsheet.

Jason from Multnomah County

Smartsheet 2 Year Review

Overall this has been a great program to use. With constrained budgets to work with, this offers tremendous bang for the buck. It is not very difficult for savvy users to become highly proficient with this product and develop organic business solutions.

Pros

This product has revolutionized the way I manage my team. I am able to use Smartsheet to track many different projects and annual work goals for my team. My staff appreciate the increased autonomy Smartsheet has brought to us. Their goals and metrics are clear and they feel more ownership over their work. Other teams have started to use Smartsheet for their own business purposes and this is making its way through the organization.

Cons

Some of the drawbacks about Smartsheet that makes it hard for our Data and Development Analysts to implement include the inability to paste a large number of rows into a grid. Our IT requirements also include having a test and development environment for the analysts to use and Smartsheet doesn't seem to have this. As a supervisor I would also appreciate it if the dashboard charts could be a little more Smart and pull data more dynamically from the source grids without me having to make manual adjustments. My colleagues would also like to see more ability to schedule blocks of time with the calendar integration like we do with Google Calendar. There is a workaround for this, but it isn't palatable for everyone.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Salesforce is much more expensive than Smartsheet. But the biggest reason is that SF requires you to submit a project to their developers and then wait in line for them to deliver you a solution. This takes time/money and every project must be carefully weighed and measured. With Smartsheet I can deliver just as effective a solution in just a matter of days and activate it with my team. It's nimble, easy to use, and integrates wonderfully with our Google suite of products.

Renee from Regency Centers

Smartsheet for the win

The initial setup of some of my Smartsheets was cumbersome and time consuming. HOWEVER, it was well worth it. Now that I know how to navigate around, it does not take as long to get a Smartsheet up and running. I enjoy setting up new Smartsheet projects and teaching others how to use or navigate around the project. I literally learn something new everyday.

Pros

Because I use this software on a daily basis, I need to be able to navigate around fairly quickly. For the most part, I am able to do this. When I do have a question or can't figure out how to do something, the search function either in the Solution Center or a search in Google often produce great results. And if if doesn't, customer service is superb and I am able to get pretty close to an immediate response or help. I do like how I can create a Dashboard that can house any type of information from links to other Smartsheets, forms, other websites, the list is endless. It helps bring projects and/or information together in one area that is easy to navigate through.

Cons

Although I know this isn't excel, I do wish it had more functionality like excel. With that said, the more I use this program, the more I do love it and am able to maneuver my way around easier.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

The functionality of the program wasn't what our company was looking for.

Candace from HR Path

Great tool for project management

Collaboration during projects is key to our business. Smartsheet has helped us centralise our project documentation into one central repository and ensure that we have artifacts for each project we complete.

Pros

My company uses Smartsheet to manage projects. We are a software implementation consulting service working with clients (remotely) and collaboration and instant updates to shared project plans, action items lists and contact information is important to ensure the successful management and completion of a project. The reports and widget functions make dashboard reporting easier and more efficient. The ability to export to Excel or Microsoft Projects means that we can collaborate easily with clients who use other tools within their organisation. The notification functionality is great as well, whether it's getting notified of a change on a sheet, or notified that something has been assigned to you.

Cons

I would like to be able to copy directly from Smartsheet into Word, PowerPoint or Outlook (in table format) rather than having to copy into Excel, then copying from Excel to another program to get a table. It's a small thing, but frustrating when all you want to do is copy a portion of a project plan or action list into an email and it comes out as text instead of formatted as a table. :-( I would also like to be able to display the Gantt chart in different formats for use in presentations and documentation. The standard Gantt chart view is fine, but it would be nice to be able to change colours, font or even the width of the bars to make it more appealing in presentations.

Lachlan from Solution Design Group

Industry: Furniture

SmartSheet | An extraordinary tool for fast moving businesses

Since beginning to use SmartSheet in 2017, it has been a catalyst in keeping up with an ever changing market and the increase in the use of digital tools and communication channels.

Pros

SmartSheet is a tool setup in such a way the it can be tailored to your organisation and used for multiple functions, by multiple divisions. The speed at which they are improving the platform with new functions and features is beyond amazing. Any small to medium size business trying to improve in project management, ICT management, customer service, task management, resource management, team management (the list goes on) would largely benefit from investing in SmartSheet. The ROI is incredible and the ease of rolling it out through an organisation is simple due to the intuitive UI.

Cons

The only downside I see with SmartSheet is the permission levels. These could be improved with the ability to share sheets in bulk rather than just at a workspace or individual sheet level.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

SmartSheet is so much more cost effective based on the number of features and how well it can be tailored to any company.

Alasdair from Denton RPA Ltd

Industry: Medical Devices

Excel on speed

I have a running joke with my colleagues that goes along the lines of "have I told you how much I love smartsheet?" This is generally when I have discovered a new wow feature - e.g. the ability to lock in column formulae. They smile and say "yes you have mentioned it"

Pros

It's core infrastructure is very easy to understand. As an accountant I saw a spreadsheet like thing and shouted hurrah I get this. Then I realised that was just a beginning but a beginning that was good because it hooked me. Then I started to get that there are forms and the spreadsheets are really databases in disguise from which you can easily produce reports with no programming skills needed (other than those I knew anyway). Then there are dashboards that you can configure to your own requirements. I particularly love that you can change information on the reports and it changes on the underlying spreadsheets (databases). For one business I worked for I changed what had been a daily and weekend nightmare for the owner into an automated process that took half an hour. Literally life changing for him.

Cons

It's strength is it's weakness. Like a spreadsheet it can be too flexible which can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Other software has guardrails, this doesn't. If you take care it's fine but you can find yourself changing something and it having knock on effects. It's not that the underlying data is compromised by this but the reporting can be. For example if you change the name of a database column the reports won't be able to find it again which means that on the reports and dashboards you find a blank where there should be data. So take care, but if you do, it's magic!

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Flexibility and because it was so hard to get my colleagues to engage with the other products. With smartsheet I cracked it. Have I told you how much I love smartsheet?

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

I found it one day and never looked back.

Cory from Advanced Network Management

Smartsheet is preferred from multiple fast-moving projects

Satisfied. I manage >25 projects that vary in size and detail. I would not rely on any other project management program that I have used in the past.

Pros

Easy to get in, set up, and maintain small-medium size projects. Quick to learn, easy to use.

Cons

I would like more intelligence around the columns: 1) more specific formatting choices, like setting the duration to hours, separating effort and duration; 2) Predecessor columns that intelligently follow the task, not only the row number.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

The ROI was greater with Smartsheet.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Salesforce functionality relies on two (negative) criteria: 1) you track everything related to the project within Salesforce; 2) to track everything, you have to purchase access to modules that would otherwise be unnecessary.

Maarten from Lease Crutcher Lewis

A powerful tool for rapid, automated, information sharing without jeopardizing privacy

I have used SmartSheet for a number of years with different project teams and different applications. The software is incredibly versatile and lends itself to every imaginable aspect of the projects, from planning and scheduling meetings to tracking and and documenting closeout requirements. The automation options along with the display variations and the accessibility via multiple device types and input devised provide meaningful, clear and up-to-date information to a large variety of people with equally varied technological backgrounds and communication styles. During the work day, my SmartSheet portal is always open!

Pros

SmartSheet provides an easy and efficient means of sharing information in a spreadsheet style format with web-forms that are readily accessible and editable from portable devices. The information from these web-forms can be set to auto-populate on the parent-sheet where the information becomes accessible to all authorized users at the click of the "update" button. For example, during the COVID-19 pandemic, a employee health status sign in sheet was created on short notice and sent out to all relevant parties via email as well as by posting a QR code at the job sites which all workers can scan with their mobile devices and fill in the form on line. The relevant information gets forwarded to main sheet accessible at the main office (nearly) instantaneously. The display options of the sheets are numerous and varied, very useful for different circumstances and audiences.

Cons

The functionality is quite similar to that of an Excel spreadsheet, but my recurring stumbling block is that there ARE some differences. That being said, SmartSheet does a wonderful job of expanding the function library constantly, which makes it an ongoing task to stay up-to-date with what is new and possible (this is both a Pro and a Con since the library is so very dynamic)

Andrea from Bob Lilly Promotions

Best thing since sliced bread

This software makes everything we do so streamlined and easy. We literally load all of our projects into smartsheet so that we can all manage them. I don't think that I could do my job as efficiently without it. There is s certain project we do once a year where we update pricing on all website items with all of our suppliers. Being able to keep this data in SS, then send our suppliers update requests to load in the data has been a life saver! Keeping track of work along with managing the project has become a breeze.

Pros

The thing I like the most is the transparency or the collaboration. To be able to easily see what others are doing and manage them together, set reminders and send update requests is what makes our company run well.

Cons

I think there have been a few times that we have maxed out on number of lines. I don't know why that there is a throttle there, but that's probably my only complaint is that some of our sheets get large and max out!

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Cost versus flexibility of the product. Easy adoption period. We were right.... it took some time, but everyone eventually jumped on board and enjoy it.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

We needed something different and more collaborative. I don't know Google Docs well enough, but it was not as easy to tie sheets together and send or receive info.

Kristie from Denver Health

Efficiency, Simplicity and Life-Changing!

I am a devoted Excel fan, and the first time I used Smartsheet, I hated. I thought it was a dumb version of Excel. But gradually others in the organization did more and more with it and I continued to have issues with Shared Workbooks in Excel, I finally decided to give it another shot, and this time I would really look at it. I then realized it had the power of Excel and SharePoint and Nintex Forms, all in one program that was way easier to use than most of the others. I went from hating Smartsheet as my PMO was dragging it into my department, to owning 117 sheets, countless automations and data mesh configurations and data uploader configurations in less than a year. I completely rely on Smartsheet to get my daily work done now and I have lost 2 FTE without feeling any real pressure to replace them. Smartsheet has helped my team that much. I have become a complete Smartsheet nerd.

Pros

My favorite thing about this software is the simplicity of creating a very complex set of sheets, automation and forms. I work as a business person within the IT department and it is a tough limbo to exist in. You aren't really IT's customer, but you are not as skilled as an IT professional. I am often left to my own devices and de-prioritized so they can concentrate on our true customers. Smartsheet provided me a system that I did not need my IT department help. I was able to create a set of products (on a very base level, my own small Enterprise Resource Program) entirely alone that has improved my efficiency, quality of work and accuracy! I needed nothing more than my own skills and occasionally Smartsheet's Solution Center.

Cons

I am unfond of a few of the tiny limitations. I wish that reports weren't limited to 500 rows per page, and if that limit must exist, I wish there was a function to skip to a specific page. I reference a report that has 400+ lines of data multiple times throughout the day and it's mildly annoying to have to skip through 9 pages on the report to get to what I'm looking for. I have also had very lukewarm success with Data Uploader. It does not work as expected about 50% of the time. I would honestly give up on it entirely if it wasn't SO useful the other 50% of the time. I waste a lot of time saving and resaving documents and deleting and recreating configurations just to get data to upload.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Collaboration issues with Excel which often corrupted my really important data and complex approval workflows with SharePoint that required my SP team engagement to design.

Kat from BDA

Fantastic tool that is growing quickly!

I'm a huge fan of Smartsheet. I would highly recommend their annual conference - ENGAGE. It's a great mix of presentations of use cases, tutorials, hands on workshops, networking, and a glimpse into their roadmap. With Smartsheet, we've saved time on existing processes and been able to build out new processes we weren't able to streamline/automate before Smartsheet. It also is so helpful with managing data integrity and auditing when/how things are edited. We also use it quite a bit to collaborate externally - that alone has made Smartsheet worth it.

Pros

There's a lot to like about Smartsheet. You can get simple business processes converted quickly. The automation 'designer' is so easy to use and it's quite intuitive. Permissions are easy to manage without feeling overwhelming. Their training center is one of the best I've seen. Our Account Team is also phenomenal. I can't say enough about them. They never make me feel like they don't have time to talk use cases, strategies, or even one off questions. They roll out new functionality often enough to add value but not so often that you can't keep up. Smartsheet also really values their customer's feedback - highly recommend their EAP.

Cons

Smartsheet is great in so many ways but there are some functionality missing that would make a massive difference in the amount of processes I could move to Smartsheet - cascading dropdowns, setting a field's value with automation, setting a form field's value based on another field or formula, editing an existing item via a form (not an update request), extract time stamping from cell history to be able to report on it. I would also like to see more consistency in the functionality across different apps within the platform. Overall, I'm able to find workarounds to most of the functionality wish list and with their ability to turn out new features often throughout the year, I don't consider these as deal breakers. My other pain point (though it's also helpful in some ways, especially for small businesses) is how tiered the features are - meaning that you do have to purchase premium apps/add ons to leverage the full power of Smartsheet. That gives a lot of flexibility in how you want to scale but is also a bit of a pain as an end user, making the case for purchasing the add ons that will help my processes even more.

James from British Fencing

A bit un-human and cheeky

Disconnected - we use InfusionSoft and despite the software being hard to use sometimes and changes happen constantly, they have mitigated risk of leaving by investing in human contact and support. I posted something to the Smartsheet community and hear nothing.

Pros

Collaboration Action features How to tutorials/onboarding is good Webforms

Cons

Lack of a chat support system or ticketing system The upsell on functions - have free collaborators now having to pay to do things they could of done prior even though they had been using the system for years. Understand if certain features are now paid to commercialise the product, however I think it is unfair to penalise historic users. If you looked at a micro level with us you will see a 200% growth in our subscription over its lifetime and I feel this short term and automated upsell could and has damaged perceptions of the overall product. 18 months ago I would of been a 10 regarding recommedations and now it is less.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

The onboarding seemed good, the price point fair and the ability for free collaborators (however this is being somewhat pulled now)

To become more efficient

Kirstine from SMS Ltd.

Great software to create a bespoke solution

I work for a small construction company who used to keep all their information "in their heads, or on the back of a fag packet"!!! This has revolutionised the way they work and not only stopped them from forgetting things but also given them the ability to look at live costs and income. They now have a dashboard to see the 'big picture', individual Reports to show their own specific projects, an automated transfer of information to accounts when they mark a job as complete, reminders, comments so they can stay up to date with any info added by other people, and so many other little 'life hacks' that make their lives easier. Smartsheet has changed the way we all work immeasurably for the better. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Pros

I love the Smartsheet Community who will help you find ways to adapt Smartsheet to suit each individual need you may have. I've been using the software for years and every time I've wanted to use it for something new we've found a way! Sometimes there have been delays due to the capacity not being there YET, but it's easy to submit a Product Enhancement Request. There are updates and innovations ALL THE TIME and while they're not shoved down your throat, there's plenty of support out there if you want it, not only from the Community but also videos and webinars (live or recorded). If you've got the motivation and imagination then I think the possibilities are unlimited, without needing to be a programmer or have any coding knowledge.

Cons

There's not much I can say that's bad about Smartsheet. I find it slightly difficult that it's very US based and I'm in the UK, but that's true of most comparable software. I'm also not keen on the Learning Centre as it sometimes assumes a level of knowledge that is beyond me and I find it incomprehensible! It's not a problem though as I can easily turn to the Community!

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

I chose to recommend Smartsheet to my directors because I could see the incredible potential to create a bespoke system for them, rather than a 'one size fits all' quick fix.

Carissa from University of Miami

Very robust collaboration tool

We have used Smartsheet for quite a few years to help manage projects, day-to-day items, operational calendars, and other items at our higher ed institution. This tool has been a tremendous help with making it easier to collaborate with other companies, as well as increase the efficiency with certain tasks among our department and other departments at our institution. Smartsheet is a very easy tool to learn and use and provides a great amount of functionality in one place to collaborate across groups. I would highly recommend this product to companies, large or small, if they have multiple projects that they need to manage frequently. The ROI for this product is good if you use it all of the time. If you don't, it can end up being an expensive tool for collaboration while there are many alternative competitors out there that may be a better option financially.

Pros

Smartsheet provides a very robust collaboration tool among teams and teams from other companies. The ability to show timelines, comments, attachments, and dates - all in one place - make it very easy to stay on track with projects. This tool also provides a very nice mobile and app platform to work off of while out on the go. We utilize the professional (paid) version to encompass all of the features that we need and are no longer offered in the free version, such as the ability to email directly from the sheet, send for updates, and utilize the reminder functions. Emailing directly from the sheet is a great feature since it allows you to send the comments, attachments, and info from the line all in one easy-to-read email. You can also cc yourself on the email so that you know that it was sent.

Cons

One of the things about Smartsheet that could be updated is the ability to copy info from one sheet and create a new sheet. For example, my team utilizes this tool for registration for certain programs at our university. The ability to copy the entire sheet (with all of the info and attachments) onto a new sheet and update the dates, or minimal information, would be a great function to have. The other option would be to allow more functionality in the free version (which was previously there). The update to only allowing email sends from a single line in the professional (paid) version now is a bit challenging when we only budgeted for a certain amount of licenses for the academic year (and we all know how stingy higher ed budgets are right now)

Melanie from MedPOINT Management

Versatile and Powerful Tool

My company was already using Smartsheet for basic task tracking when I started. Upon discovering how we could use dashboards, our utilization took off! We have now designed solutions for departments company-wide, improving management's visibility to workloads and processes. It's impressive how many problems Smartsheet has been able to solve.

Pros

- Ease of Use - No need to involve programmers to create custom solutions - Versatility - customizable sheets and dashboards for different departments and needs - Support - AMAZING user forum, help pages, support department

Cons

Row and cell link limitations - I bump up against the cell link limitations often, although I can work around them by saving my metrics into multiple sheets.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

I used Planview at a previous job (and was a user, not involved in the implementation). As a user, frankly, I despised Planview. It took so much effort to create and manage a project plan! And the constraints we had to work with to allow for standardized corporate level reporting were difficult to work with. Smartsheet is SO much more user friendly and customizable. The new features added in late 2019 make it an even stronger solution. Very happy to have made the switch!

Cecilia from SPIE

Awesome software

I love Smarsheet because it made my work easier. Now I can have collaboration from my entire company and get fast results.

Pros

-easy to use and costumize -more than one user can modify simultaneously -you can add your company's logo -you can set group and individual reminders - Cell history, which can tell who and when it was modified. -different views: calendar, grid, card, and Gantt

Cons

- not all reminders can be set with time to remind - can't add a conditional formatting based on time - if your Smartsheet is big, formulas added can take forever to update the information, so you need to refresh it all times, even if you change settings to save automatically.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

More options and could be tailored to our needs

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Because I needed a tool that would have also a calendar view, and that could be exported to Excel format for future references.

Nick from Stria, LLC

Quick Spreadsheets that allow for collaboration

I solve the problem of tracking how my employees profit on many small profit/small margin projects. This allows me to see who is struggling the most and who is not. My team specifically focuses on education, hospitals, and non-profits. So maintaining margins to not lose any money is important. I wrote up a story about it here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/example-advanced-smartsheet-reporting-interconnectivity I've pulled off absolutely amazing things. I'm willing to go into detail and share more of what we were able to accomplish. Many of Smartsheet's examples do not solve business problems, but they do help us learn how to solve our own!

Pros

I absolutely love how quick and easy it is to use Smartsheet. The formulas have great documentation and it helps tremendously when trying to learn and accomplish new tasks. You can pull off amazing things if you sit down and build it. I was able to build a completely automated revenue and labor estimator that shows me how profitable each member of my team is. Many of the applications we built, the community was clueless how to build it. We were able to accomplish some very unique dashboards & spreadsheets that make our lives easier. I can now make business decisions on a whim, without having to spend hours of research about the effect of one decision on our numbers.

Cons

I dislike how many features such as the dynamic view or the workspace deployment feature is locked behind an expensive addon. And when inquiring about customer service we were told it "isn't" a fit for us. But yet, Smartsheet cannot give us a demo to experiment or test them out? Smartsheet is nickle and diming things a lot. Smartsheet is >not< small business friendly. It is really a shame because these tools are absolutely 100% amazing. It also surprises me how little the community interactions are. There are many great suggestions for features that are standard in Excel and Google Sheets, that Smartsheet blandly ignored for years, and sometimes says "coming soon" and years later we still don't have it.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Our CEO made the choice, and it felt like smartsheet was going places.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

We also used AirTable, Google Sheets, and Excel. We made the switch because the sales team convinced our CEO it was a good move.

Sara from Delta Dental

Love the versatility

I love the webinars on new services and the ability to become certified to use this tool- its such a time saver and I love that if I think of something I need to do on my commute home- I can just pull it up on my phone. Overall I would recommend it to my text company too- I would rather use Smart sheet as a project management tool than any tool designed for math brains that isn't as freestyle.

Pros

I love this software. I love the pick up and go aspect where I can access it on all my devices. I love the automatic saves- because I am terrible at remembering to save, and I love the ability to attach files and tag people for projects. I used the software at my previous company for creative project management and now I'm using it like agile for product development builds. Its great for tracking and overall roadmapping. I wouldn't use anything else when I can do everything I want right here!

Cons

All the issues I've had have been solved in new releases but it would be wonderful if I could build graphic pages in the software- I'm hoping that comes soon. Like a mobile photoshop or powerpoint or image tool.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

The ability to be a wiki spreadsheet overall won our vote. Its for people who use both left and right brain.

Darrin from State of Colorado

Quick points

Pros

·Being able to share a spreadsheet with other users in real-time. · Like that users can complete a form to populate a spreadsheet to include uploading documents and that update requests could be sent to that user if a correction needs to be made or additional info is needed. The user then make the change(s) to the cell requested.

Cons

·Recently a change was made whereas a non-licensed user can no longer send update requests. We use Smartsheet to have student teachers complete some info pursuant to state law. When the student makes an error, we used to send an update request to have them correct a cell. Now only a licensed user can send those notifications, so we most likely will utilize regular emails for these changes or not use Smartsheet for this work. ·As of Monday (9.30.19), how the system used "comments" changed from a pop-up box that let you enter into a field, save that info and now click anywhere and that pop-up box disappeared. Now it opens "Conversations" which now blocks the right side of the spreadsheet and you must now click on the X to close it out. It also holds all of the comments made to the entire sheet which is more info that I need. Typically if a comment is added to a row, I just click on the comment bubble to that row instead of viewing all of the comments to the sheet. ·When an update request is sent and the person makes the correction, this information is not clearly discernible when viewing the sheet. Turning on notifications turns on too many notifications so this was not an option. The workaround is, I add a "note sent"column that I check when an update request is sent. I then review the sheet and look for rows that have "note sent" checked and now no longer have the pending update icon to look for corrections. ·Need better form controls (field limits, date fields, etc.).

Rob from Lutheran Community Services Northwest

We use Smartsheet for Project Management

As I mentioned, we use Smartsheet extensively for project planning and project management. But we also use it to run a help desk for our Electronic Health Record System. Here the forms feature comes in really handy. Users fill out a form to add tasks to the help desk. We also use it to manage our individual tasks and queues. And our development department is building sheets to track donations and plan promotions. We often export the data and use it to build Tableau reports.

Pros

Projects are easy to set up with the built in functionality. There are lots of built in templates that you can use. But we have found it most helpful to build our own templates. We really appreciate being able to add dependencies, working and non working days, and duration. Then the start and end dates fill in automatically. We have found that the learning curve is not nearly as steep for Smartsheet as it was for Microsoft Project. Another really helpful feature is being able to use formulas in the Project Plan. Our team schedules our work using a points system. I was able to create formulas that take the number of points for that task and who is assigned to that task to create a point breakdown for each person or team assigned. We then use the linking feature to link the total points for the project, the points accomplished, and the status of the project to a master "Queue" sheet. Smartsheet has special formula values available for children and ancestors of a task. So, we use a simple =Sum(Children()) formula to add up the points. Actually, the formulas end up being more complicated because we can test whether the row has children or not and do different things depending on the test. For instance, when summing the work completed if the task has no children, then the product of the percent complete and points gives us the number of points completed. If the row is a parent, then the formula sums the children.

Cons

For project planning the resources feature is not as helpful as it could be. The main reason is that if a staff is assigned to a row during a particular time, the resource function assumes that they are 100% allocated for that time. So, if you have three tasks that overlap, the resource allocations shows 300%. We have mitigated that by routinely filling in 30% allocation for each resource. This helps to take into account the fact that a task although it lasts a full week won't take up all the staff's time. One idea I have had recently--but haven't tried yet--is to make a formula that takes the number of points for the task and assigns an appropriate allocation number based on points per week. The other feature that we haven't found useful is the "Critical Path." How the software determines what is on the critical path is a mystery. I'm not sure why it chooses some tasks that have dependencies filled in, but not others that seem to be just as important.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Smartsheet was cheaper and easier to use.

Rick from Nomis Solutions

Excellent alternative to traditional spreadsheets and project management tools and processes

We use it for all project implementations to manage collaboration with our clients - project plans, decision logs, issue logs, contact lists, action item lists, document sharing, etc. We also use it internally for similar activities. I even use it on my team for very efficient weekly status reporting. We even link it to JIRA for automatically syncing sheets and reports to that system for managing product releases and product support. We love it!!!

Pros

Very easy to learn and get users onboard quickly. Works much like Excel yet with much more document sharing functionality and the notifications service is most beneficial to us. Very cost efficient in that our clients don't need to purchase a license so we use this to collaborate with them for our project work.

Cons

Very little not to like. Advanced functionality we need to not alwasys there, however, Smartsheet comes out with new features a few times a year and they always very helpful. Biggest complaint is that we have not yet figured out how to provide users edit access to a group and yet limit certain sheets within that group to viewer only. Would also like to see more options for backups and restores.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

We still use Sharepoint for some internal PMO functions but it is too slow. Smartsheet is much faster and more efficient for most of our processes

Amanda from Jackson Dawson

Collaboration made easy

Smartsheet saves us time and makes it easier to collaborate and share updates across all of our projects. We appreciate the constant improvements and the walk through introduction when bigger changes are rolled out.

Pros

Smartsheet has been a lifesaver for group collaboration. My team runs multiple projects simultaneously, and the scopes of these projects are constantly changing. Smartsheet allows for the team to update their pieces of the puzzle and send alerts about changes in one environment. We've actually replaced endless back and forth emails with the comments function in the comment section so that all pertinent information about an issue exists in the platform itself for easy reference. We can track our gantt chart, program data, and group communications in one place. I= We're also utilizing Smartsheet for people outside of our organization. Smartsheet allows us to select the type of visibility that clients have to data (through settings or via dashboards) so we can control the story that we're sharing with our clients. This has been a big time saver as it eliminates the need for extra reporting on data that is already avilailable online. Our clients have shared positive feedback about Smartsheet forms which we've been using to collect survey data and for event registration. The forms have allowed us to cancel our account for SurveyMonkey (which we used for several years previous to Smartsheet).

Cons

The main pain point I have with Smartsheet is the fact that not all of my favorite Excel formulas work in Smartsheet. The formulas also don't always work the same way as they do in Excel so there's a bit of a learning curve. Smartsheet needs to allow a Time function. We use Smartsheet to register individuals for events, and right now we're having to program Time as a text. This means we can't use formulas to change times based on Timezones. I also still miss when the recent sheets appeared as tabs at the top of the webpage. The new recent tabs menu works well, but I found the tab view easier to navigate.

Jordan from DP

Versatile Project Management Tool

We use Smartsheet in lots of ways -- from spinning up dashboards to show our operations teams how they're doing on any given day to managing data transfers from sales to operations to crafting project plans for implementations to tracking survey responses when projects are completed. It's an incredibly versatile tool that, with a little creativity, can produce amazing results.

Pros

I love how accessible and customizable the product is. We're able to make it do so much to integrate various departments and help work flow across the organization.

Cons

Some of the features aren't carried from sheet to sheet when you save as a Template or save a project as "new", and having to reconfigure alert rules can be time consuming.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

The project management tool that was built in Salesforce for our team was clunky and difficult to administer. Every time a salesperson would make any changes to an opportunity, the Salesforce project management tool would create an entirely new project plan rather than updating the existing project, and there were only a couple of people who could support it internally. Smartsheet was being used by a company we merged with several years ago and was a much better fit for our needs.

Excellent project management tool!

I joined my team in 2017 and was asked to establish our PM management system - knowing that I didn't have the budget for some of the more robust tools, I needed to find one that wasn't only user friendly but had all the capabilities I needed to create the complex timelines and reporting that I needed. Smartsheet was recommended to me and when I finally did a walk through I felt like it would be the perfect fit for my needs. Since then, I've been able to setup the platform and project management system for my team and we adjust it as needed along the way with ease. We also have been able to find uses outside of my project management needs to track form responses and other data management needs.

Pros

easy to set-up processes, ongoing product improvements and additions, great team capabilities, quick and easy adoption due to familiarity of tool to MS Project/Excel style, many different uses outside of projects timelines, very cost effective

Cons

interface feels dated (although they're continuously working on this) and not created for non-project team members, dashboard tool and capabilities could use some improvements, sometimes creating cross-functional sheets can be clunky and unnecessarily complex.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

it had the most capabilities of the competition that I personally needed with the most cost effective model

I transitioned companies

Ryan from Alianza

Smartsheet is a great Project Scheduling tool, and so much more

I love Smartsheet! It has become an indispensable tool in organizing and visualizing the work we do everyday!

Pros

Smartsheet is much easier to use for Project Managemen than the classic Microsoft Project software I was originally trained on. It allows people to manage work with the intelligence of a project scheduling tool, but with an easy to understand and use spreadsheet interface. Since Smartsheet is a cloud product, each Smartsheet is available from any computer by just logging into the website, or even from their mobile app. Another great Project Management benefits is that the Project Manager can share a Smartsheet with their whole team to collaborate together. We also use the Smartsheet for Jira Connector which allows us to sync information back and forth between the two systems. Jira can be complicated to navigate, and the dashboarding can be really frustrating. This connector allows us to keep track of individual tickets associated with a project, and even lets us import massive data sets for analysis. Finally, we have ended up using Smartsheet as a dashboarding tool. It's actually surprisingly good as a Business Intelligence visualization tool for keeping track of our projects, and for displaying Jira dashboarding.

Cons

Like any software there are small quirks I'd like to see changed, or hotkeys added, but overall I'm impressed with the constant cadence of feature updates and enhancements.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Better collaborative and cloud-hosted options and a cheaper price point.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Smartsheet is easier to use, is cloud-hosted, and has online collaborative features to engage the project team and stakeholders.

Brian from Rogue Community Health

Smartsheet for Data Management

I daily maintain six Smartsheets, and will probably integrate more. This has helped with tracking my progress in processes, and eliminated the need for reporting up, as my superiors can view my progress in real time. I found learning the software to be fairly easy, and recognized many opportunities presented by Smartsheet for further education.

Pros

I use Smartsheet daily to track personnel processes, such as recruitment efforts, termination procedures, and the completion of development reviews. I have used other software before, but Smartsheet affords me with the opportunity to freely share the data with other coworkers and management easily and immediately. I also really appreciate the automatic save feature, and the prompt to update with other's changes. I tend to stay in my Smartsheets all day long so this is particularly helpful for updates. I like the ability to attach documents.

Cons

I found the Filter feature to be a bit clunky; That design needs some work. I'd like to be able to change fonts within fields, such as making individual words bold. Manipulating rows within the sheets could be streamlined. It's challenging when you want to move a series of rows to another location on the same sheet. It becomes a two-step process: Creating the space for the rows in the new location, and then cutting or copying and inserting them in the new space.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

The ability to share data freely and changes made simultaneously my multiple users.

Sarantos from RevTechPlus

Smartsheet Review

We use the software to track daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. We work with hundreds of clients who send in requests each week, and the software allows us to track the requests, and progress of the tasks.

Pros

Simplicity of use. Minimal downtime. Customer support has been great, and very responsive. Communication when downtime will occur, or when issues are taking place.

Cons

I do not have any issues or complaints regarding the software.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Salesforce is a great product, but it is expensive, and we wanted something that was more streamlined, and easier to use. Smartsheet is great for quick notes, updates, and reminders.

Steve from Focus on the Family

Enterprise features and pricing mean you can probably find a startup alternative

I hated it a few years back when I first started using it. The thing that won me over and made me a power user was the interface refresh about a year ago. I then took the Smartsheet training to be certified and that opened my eyes to the power of the tool (and also to the fact that the sheets I hated were users in our company using it very, very WRONG). Anyway, while we do love it, there are a few antiquated things like concurrent editing that are truly broken (Google sheets can do this just fine!) and the recent price increase for our contract means that we are probably moving to another tool.

Pros

--You can easily switch between different views of the same data, e.g. grid vs. Kanban --Dashboards and reporting are both powerful --Growing number of integrations --Commenting per-row is excellent --Can be used as a simple spreadsheet --Security/permissions are robust and intuitive --Excellent training and certs available --Forms feature is pretty complete for basic stuff --Very extensive formula capabilities, almost like Excel --The "business" pricing tier would actually be quite adequate for my group's needs, vs. the enterprise plan --Nesting/hierarchy of rows can be useful

Cons

--No in-cell formatting --Awkward multi-user editing, no auto-save, other users keep resetting views --Reporting is difficult, meaning that you have to create separate complex reports instead of just saved views --Not a true database or app builder --Notifications system is wonky, delayed, and hard for new users to tame --Very easy to abuse and misuse, even worse than Excel because you can add in the nesting/hierarchy (we have one user in particular that makes the most gawdawful sheets you've ever seen, partly because of the inherent Smartsheet interface) --Attachments are pretty rough, not easily visible or visual, and no desktop app integrations (e.g. save a file from Word to SmartSheet) --No concept of a "document" or app, only the spreadsheet motif; can't do notes or instructions very easily, for example, so people overload rows for this and that makes reporting even harder when you have to manually select rows --Forms feature not embeddable or graphically complete with formatting to make it look nice --Not clear how you combine formulas and forms without overwriting formulas at the bottom--I haven't figured this out yet even after years of using it --Enterprise pricing is now forcing us to consider alternatives, including lower tiers of Smartsheet

Nathan from Dotcom Zambia

SmartSheet - A different approach to project management tools

Project management is a very important part of any Business operation and as such, its important to explore options. Smartsheet appeals to us because we have a strong background with Microsoft Excel and adopting it has been easy. Our goal is finding a project management solution that works for our teams and ensuring that they actually use it. While everyone has their personal preference, SmartSheet was a better fit as a lot of our teams already use Excel extensively.

Pros

SmartSheet is a good project management tool that has an interface similar to Excel. Pros: 1. Multiple Project Views - Project managers will appreciate the multiple viewing options such as Gannt and Kanban, standard spreadsheet and even a calendar view. Many options for different managers. 2. If Spreadsheets are your thing, SmartSheet is worth a try - If you and your team use spreadsheets a lot, you may appreciate that SmartSheet is based off the concept of spreadsheets, you can adopt and add different sheets for a variety of projects. So whether basic or advanced, a host of users can easily adapt to Smartsheet if they know how to use a spreadsheet, even to the point of adding formulas and formatting of cells. This is a huge selling point which makes SmartSheet a good option. 3. As Good as Project Management tools get - As a project management tool Smartsheet covers the basics. You get milestones, task management, comments, collaboration and project management and as mentioned before the view options. 4. You can add collaborators to a project for free - A good thing is that you can add multiple “users” to access Smartsheets without paying extra. If you do need to give them more privileges, there are options to set them up. 5. Support for Smartsheet is stellar - There is a thriving community of users and help guides and videos if you ever find yourself stuck and not sure what to do. 6. Smartsheet also integrates well with Microsoft Office 365.

Cons

There is not a lot to gripe about SmartSheets other than on occasion, the app can lag or suffer an error and finding what error it is and how to fix it can be a little frustrating. There is a limitation with exporting reports. If you want to display data in a visual way, you may need to manually extract the data and then add it into another application. If the reports feature could be improved and maybe export in a usable format it would be a solid winner.

Sadaf from Alpin Limited

SmartSheet- Highly recommended Project Management Software

We have a global team of collaborators often working on the same document. SmartSheet, being a web-based collaborative tool makes it effortless to delegate and track tasks, allocate resources, and oversee budget in a concise form. The transparency in this tool is exemplary as one can view activity logs and track changes. Unlike its main competitor MS Project, SmartSheet is capable of tracking real-time workflow wherein changes made by one individual can be reflected across the entire team in an instant. It functions spectacularly on a range of operating systems (I use it on iOS as well) and has proven to be a cohesive platform to visualize project data in real time, all in one place for all relevant team members to view and work on. I would highly recommend SmartSheet for teams who are looking for project management software that requires minimum training with maximum output.

Pros

SmartSheet is a cloud-based tool that helps Project Managers better align their resources, cost and time. Being a part of a virtual team responsible for collaborating whilst managing critical projects, Smartsheet has been indispensable in helping us track project timeline through interactive Gantt charts, establish critical paths, manage team resources, analyze budget and costs, in addition, to document sharing through OneDrive, Skype and even the app. It is definitely reliable, has a simple user interface, flexibility in function, offers real-time data tracking through dashboards and training additional collaborators is uncomplicated. I love how SmartSheet offers a powerful conditional formatting feature, visualization of data that is editable and printable for presentations and has a spreadsheet-like interface (like Excel) yet is straightforward, unlike its counterparts. Another thumbs up feature is that SmartSheet offers a 30-day trial wherein full functionality can be tested and project plans produced before actually investing in the software!

Cons

Our firm works from Sunday to Thursday (unlike the USA) and though they are advised well ahead, maintenance windows don't always align with our schedule, and we have to work around that. One attribute that can definitely be improved is the option of turning on auto-save, instead of manually saving the document. Often the development of a comprehensive project plan across several collaborators is quite intense and even if one of them fails to manually save the document, it is quite a hassle.

Smartsheet - Functionality and Communities make this an indispensable application

Overall, my experience with Smartsheet has been wonderful. The extremely active Community has made all the difference in the world, answering questions within an hour or two. The staff are also active in the Community and you can see their passion for the application and truly helping their customers. Smartsheet is highly worth the investment.

Pros

Smartsheet has so much going for it. It truly fits the new technological world that we live in by providing more than just the basics. Being a cloud-based application (SaaS), and compatible with mobile devices, makes it more functional across the board. It mostly touts itself as a project management tool, which is very true. Most project managers utilize certain applications that require the project to be saved down to a file, which is not easily shareable. Smartsheet can handle the same project management tools and live in cyberspace that can be utilized by numerous people, which different levels of access (viewing, editing, administering) and different views (tasks, gantt, kanban, etc.), and allow people to make comments, add attachments, and more. The most use I have made of Smartsheet within my organization is using it like a spreadsheet. I'm able to have numerous sheets for different departments where they have access to only their own sheets and update only what they need to update. Then I can create a new sheet that combines information from all of the sheets that will auto-update from the original sheets. I can also create reports and dashboards (with charts, metrics, etc.) based on information from all the different sheets. It's quite functional and utilizes much of the same fundamental logic that Excel provides. The Smartsheet website has an extremely detailed (and searchable) Help section and very active Community. Even includes videos to help guide!

Cons

Smartsheet does have some limitations. Most specifically, it isn't Excel and it isn't Project, so users shouldn't expect it to do everything those applications can do. However, there are times when it seems obvious that a particular functionality should be included that isn't. With that said, Smartsheet does a great job of listening to the Community and is constantly improving the application with enhancements to help the Community with its most voted on requests. Another thing that is frustrating is when an error pops up. More often than not, the error is written in a way that doesn't tell the user how to fix the error. Again, when this happens, I just reach out to the Community and get the answers I need.

Nathan from CareerSource Florida

Industry: Public Policy

Project Management in the Cloud

It does help us track projects and the alerts we've set up help keep users aware of deadlines. So for that, Smartsheet works well. We've found a workaround for the one area we've paid extra for--the reporting--that is deficient. The biggest selling point is its approachability: anyone that is familiar with a spreadsheet application should be able to intuitively understand how SmartSheet basically works. That at least removes the biggest obstacle for a project management solution being ignored: the difficulty of use.

Pros

SmartSheet allows individuals and teams to work projects together, plotting milestones and critical paths, tracking tasks, creating alerts, and using gantt charts to quickly view how various team members are allocated and intersect. It does a good job of integrating with Office 365, allowing you to share links to files in OneDrive and to Skype within SmartSheet. The revamped interface makes it closer to working in Excel, which is the really the whole premise to Smartsheet: providing a familiar spreadsheet interface for working projects. To that end, there is a wealth of functionality for formatting cells to indicate project stages, task completion, etc. You can even apply conditional logic to have cells change color when a task reaches a certain stage. There are good controls for determining levels of access, so you prevent changes to your sheet except by authorized persons. Overall, it's a good tool for managing projects.

Cons

The reporting functionality we paid extra for is a joke. Instead, we've resorted to pulling data into Microsoft's Power BI to create reports and visualize data. And like many other Cloud-based services, there's a core product and then tiers of functionality that cost significantly more. Smartsheet is a capable product, but I'm frankly unsure it's cost is justified by its maturity. I've had the feeling I've been paying for what's coming, not for what's already there. But since we've invested in it, I guess we'll stay the course.

Fantastic Product

Great customer service. Ever-improving features. 100% cloud so you can collaborate from anywhere with virtually any device (desktop and/or app). Smartsheet has become an indispensable part of how we run our business.

Pros

Smartsheet is an amazing product and helps keep our whole company on schedule and collaborating in real time. It is really flexible and easy to start using. Once you have used it for a while, you will want to do more and more with it, and there never seems to be a limit to what you can do. They are also constantly adding new helpful features. One that was really useful to me was a kanban view called cardview. But there is also classic spreadsheet view, gannt view, and calendar view. In addition to sheets, you can also run reports off the sheets which filter the data down for particular users or departments. These reports can be editable or read-only. You can also look at your data in real time using dashboards. We have been using Smartsheet for several years now, and we still feel like we are only scratching the surface of its capabilities. Another great feature is that you can have unlimited free collaborators. These people can use the sheets/reports/dashboard and enter data. However, it is only the paid users who can create and maintain the sheets. Over time, you may find more people in your organisation want to be creators, and it is easy to add licenses as needed.

Cons

There's not much I can say negative about this software. On rare occasions there can be unexpected outages or loss of functionality, but that is very rare indeed. There are sometimes maintenance windows on the weekend which can last up to 4 hours at a time, but these are advised well ahead of time. I think the only business that wouldn't want to use smartsheet is one that operates 24/7. If you are a normal Monday to Friday business, smartsheet will be fine for you.

Paula from Kino Mountain Productions

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

Small Business gets a workhorse for a pony budget with Smartsheet

For small business, affordable and versatile software that allows a team running in ten directions at once to stay on the same sheet of music and not miss a beat is an invaluable resource.

Pros

We are a video production company. Our small business needed software that could manage numbers, tasks and information in an affordable, user-friendly, sharable format. We get the muscle of spreadsheets with broad functionality for our office manager, multifaceted task management versatility of visually-rich Gantt charts for our producers, real-time multi-user file sharing, and the ability to access our projects and information remotely on location via our smartphones. We can create forms to amass customer information at trade shows; share files or sections of documents with clients; add photos, links, and conversations to ongoing tasks; and set important files up to be automatically backed up. Smartsheet is the busy creative team's dream!

Cons

On the very rare occasion that there is a server issue and the software is down, we whine like petulant children. We have come to rely on Smartsheet as it puts everything at our fingertips 24/7/365. We are spoiled and we know it!

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

We needed more than client management. We needed the ability to work projects over time and keep hundreds of details straight. We have employees who work better visually and Smartsheet's Gantt charts were a real plus. Cost was also a huge factor. Smartsheet is very affordable.

Dawn from Primis

I could not work without Smartsheet

We recently upgraded from an old Teams Plan to Business so I'm still learning the features we've been missing out on for so many years. I'm enjoying the Dashboard feature but want more color options. And I'd like to understand the PROOFS feature more.

Pros

Formulas & V-Lookups are much easier in Smartsheet, than Excel, love the automation of being alerted when changes are made to my sheet; love the "Request Update" feature. And the Web Form features are so much easier than Survey Monkey. I embed images of things alot into cells and helps me tremendously as easy access to things. I have created a Project Status Report that is all inclusive - Project Summary at the time, Project Risks, then Project Plan (major work packages) then Project Task LIst (the detail), then Issue Tracking, then Contacts, and I use comments bubbles for meeting minutes - one comprehensive document I can submit to Auditors.

Cons

I do miss being able to have different font colors inside a cell. I would like to have additional font colors that match our branding. There is currently not a lime green color that matches our branding so I have to snag images of font and embed the images as a workaround.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Mavenlink is not organized well. I couldn't see any features that added value.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

We hired an outside project manager years ago to help us with a large project because of capacity issues and she turned us on to Smartsheet. We purchased licenses for it and have never looked back.

September 2016

Andrew from University of California, San Francisco

September 2016

Smartsheet has the perfect balance between usability and feature set

Pros

Not as complicated and cumbersome as MS Project, which tries too hard to apply complicated logic to your project plans. Smartsheet simply gives you the ability to create plans of any level of complexity. Conditional formatting allows easy review of start/finish dates and who is assigned what. Collaboration is easy and effective as you can share with different levels of permission, and export only those elements you want others to see and work with. Having the product in the cloud makes access simple and reliable. Only once in 3 years have I not been able to access my project plan immediately, and even then it was up within 5 minutes. Easy to learn and train others on, so you can bring collaborators in quickly. Easy to edit as it uses all the intuitive elements of cut/paste and drag/drop. Vendor has been helpful when needed, but mostly in the background which is what I want. I just need functioning software and a place to go for help, not endless tips and promotions.

Cons

Creating a backup is a challenge. It's not intuitive and involves way too many menus and steps. There should be a simple way to create a backup offline for audit or versioning purposes. There needs to be an auto-save feature. I've had new collaborators lose their work because they forgot to manually save. For a product that operates with the ease of Google Docs in the cloud, the expectation is that there is an auto save feature. The 10-minute reminder message is not sufficient.

Joel from HairClub

Smartsheet to the rescue for my project planning!

I love the product. I built many dashboards for many projects and adoption was growing within the company, but the cost was higher than other software. It should compete with Microsoft Planner (0$) and Microsoft Project Online (10$ a month)

Pros

I love that the learning curve is so low. This helps the adoption rate within the company

Cons

Could be much easier to integrate with Microsoft Teams for example

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

It has many more features for Dashboarding than Asana does.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

It was simpler to use than the Microsoft Project product; therefore, better adoption within the company

Claudia from MedPOINT Management

Smartsheet Organized Our Business

My overall experience has been great. It's easy to learn if you already know how to use MS Project and excel. To me, it's a combination of the two, but with so many more features. I love the idea of the dashboard. It makes creating a centralized area so easy to deploy. I also love how the application looks professional.

Pros

Smartsheet is one of the best applications we've implemented in our company. When I started with the company 5 years ago, I brought Smartsheet to our IT department and asked if we can test it out to better organized our project intake. I didn't know after 5 years that we would add almost all staff within the company to start using Smartsheet. Now, it's a staple in our organization and I couldn't picture doing business without it.

Cons

There's a lot of upselling features. We've made it work so far, but it seems like anything we'd like to integrate with it, we have to pay the extra cost. I understand the business structure, but for the license price we're paying, I feel a lot of the additional features should be bundled with the application.

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

I was using Smartsheet in my previous company & loved the intuitive features of it. So I thought about bringing it to MedPOINT when I first joined. It's great that Smartsheet is innovative and always enhancing features on a normal basis. I appreciate the templates that they offer as well. Makes my life easier when coming up with different project reporting or tracking for my company.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,867 reviews