What are Box users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Box software through verified user reviews

4,208 Reviews

2,203
1,388

• icon"Great to securely store and share files, ease of use, customer service is excellent, very niche features, Value for money."
  • icon"A great place to keep all your files, good for collaboration between multiple employees, recommend using the box sync app to quickly move files around with ease."
  • icon"It's easy to set up, and the fact that it has a desktop version is great. The drag-and-drop ability is intuitive and exactly what a user would expect."
  • icon"Box can crash randomly and can be a bit confusing to use for first time users."
  • icon"I have a problem that when i upload sometimes it stops and doesn’t go on, so i have to cancel and upload again."
  • icon"There is something very weird when I access Box with multiple devices, that it fails to automatically sync between them. It has caused a great deal of trouble for me."

Browse all Box Reviews

• Have you used Box and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 4,175 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 4,175 reviews

Anne

Company size: 5,001 - 10,000 employees

Easy to use document storage

Neisha

April 2022

Box.com, software that I just can't live without. Its key to my success as a document consultant!

As I have mentioned I am doing consulting work with a globally recognized organization that revise and create tests for a multitude of different sectors. My job is to format the documents after they have been revised. I need to be able to access Box.com at any time and I am thankful that I have not had any issues with the site being down, especially in those emergency situations. Thank you!

Pros

I like the dashboard, it is easy to navigate and there are little tutorials that pop up showing you how to use the site more efficiently. It also holds large amounts of data. The download speeds are fast which is always good. I like that it has options to collaborate with others who are in my group. I haven't had to use this feature yet but I am looking forward to using it in the future.

Cons

Even though I like Box.com, when I first logged on to the site I had issues downloading the files correctly. Since then I have figured it out. Also, the company that I consult for had to purchase additional storage space. There was only a few files and I was disappointed that I would have to switch out files after I am finished with them, but they remedied that and now we have plenty of storage.

Reasons for switching to Box

Dropbox was always so frustrating for me to use. It took forever to download anything. You could get faster service but they want you to signup for an upgrade that is ridiculously expensive. Additionally they don't give you very much storage for what you pay for.

Alejandro

Industry: Oil & Energy

April 2022

BOX, a good alternative for secure cloud storage

My experience with Box has only been in the company where I provided my services, I have not used it as a freelancer, since there are other services that do the same, for a lower price or even free. In this company, the Box service was used a lot to store all the files of the projects we worked on and since it was confidential information, a cloud storage service that met the highest security standards was required. the integration with MS Office was very helpful, since the work experience was like the one you have with OneDrive.

Pros

What I liked the most when using box was its security, in addition to its integration with MS Office, which makes it an alternative to Onedrive. I also like that from the Business plan the storage is unlimited.

Cons

Like any cloud storage service, its main disadvantage is the price, although for a medium or large company this does not mean an expense, for a small company that is just starting out, paying a monthly fee can be a considerable expense. The little free storage also means that better options are found for someone who is just starting out, of course leaving security aside.

Reasons for switching to Box

Because the company where I provided my services used Box and we all had to switch to this service for file management and project information storage

Tiffany

Okay, but Prefer Dropbox

Box was sufficient for a first time use, but we eventually transitioned to Dropbox which everyone preferred.

Pros

Nice user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing layout for file management.

Cons

File sharing was very difficult. We constantly had people who had issues with file links that wouldn't work. Also, it was more expensive.

Rakshit

Industry: International Trade and Development

March 2022

One of the best applications for professionals

I have already shared my experience in detail in the Pros section. All in all its one of the most efficient and effective softwares. Wishing all the best to the team of Box.

Pros

Box has been a part of my professional life from past 3-4 years now. It was actually suggested by on of my colleagues and I just loved the utility of Box. I can use Box anywhere and on the go. When I'm out for meetings with my clients I can very easily share the relevant information even when I'm not carrying my laptop. Some of my overseas counterparts based in UK even use Box. So I would say it's a must have for industry professionals.

Cons

As of now I don't have anything specific related to Box that I dislike.

Reasons for switching to Box

Because I found Box much better in terms of daily usage, file sharing and cloud storage.

Riyasudeen

May 2022

Box Review

Box is best place for cloud storage with built-in editing feature, task manager, integration with third party apps, easy file syncing between the devices, easy sharing between the people.

Pros

Built-in integration of office 365 & Google Workspace, task manager and better security for data.

Cons

It's expensive than the rival platforms, less storage space for even paid account

Reasons for choosing Box

Easy to use, more third party integrations, online editing

Amber

Industry: Farming

Easy and simple

Lots of space to store photos, files and videos. It is easy to organize documents

Pros

Easy to use, organize files, photos, videos.

Cons

Uploading too many files at once or uploading a lot of different types of files causes the app to crash

Reasons for switching to Box

Other apps crash a lot and don’t give as much space.

CK

Highly secure collaboration

Pros

Box has lots of integrations, which makes it easier to work with it within other tools without having to visit it in a browser. Outside of that, the main reason to choose Box is its security features. The web interface is clean and highly intuitive. It still is loaded with features to customize it for your users in anyway you want.

Cons

The big downside I see is the speed. This may be due to the level of security configured, but it's noticeable. There are also some UI design issues that require way too many clicks to get to what you need. However, these are for very infrequently used settings (such as finding out storage usage).

Reasons for switching to Box

Needed more features, configuration control, security, and integrations.

Piyush

March 2022

Prefect Tool for content management and collaboration

Overall the experience has been awesome, we switched from libraries software to box and post that it has been good experience for me and my team

Pros

Box is a very easy to use software, the new joins in my team were able to use it within days. It has good functionalities for version management, audit trails. Its also very fast as we upload files with huge data and it does not takes much time to load them.The box sync feature is really awesome since we can do our work without worrying about hardware/software malfunction.

Cons

Sometimes the file upload files and than when we reload it starts to load all the files all over again, if it can just load the files which failed that would be a great feature to have

To get more functionalities

Ryan

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Box: The Safe Way for Teachers to Store Files

Overall I am grateful for the security and ease that using Box as a software is. I have it on all of my devices and use it so often to upload and download documents and more. I am a more productive adult and teacher because of it.

Pros

I love that Box can connect to any of my devices of phones or computers or tablets to transfer those files safely to the cloud and easily download amidst devices as well.

Cons

Nothing, the software is excellent. I wish that the plans were cheaper or the free plans had more capacity.

Reasons for switching to Box

Cheaper, larger capacity for free plan

Soumi

Review for Box

I am using Box frequently for document storage, sharing files with team members or creating a backup storage. Also, Box allows online file editing options so files can be directly edited online without having to download and upload them.

Pros

Box is an easy to use tool for storing large or small documents on cloud. This is an extremely important tool for storing backup of all important documents. These documents can be accessed and downloaded from anytime anywhere. Also, multiple people can collaborate and access files on a particular folder if access to that folder is given to those users. So it helps to securely collaborate and share documents with team members reducing dependency on storage of local system. It also keeps a record of audit trail of the activities.

Cons

Sometimes, uploading large files or many files on Box at one time can make it extremely slow or even crash for that instance.

Nathan

Industry: Mental Health Care

Another Dropbox or Google Drive Clone

Pros

I appreciated the simplicity of Box’s UI.

Cons

I did not care for Box’s limited use case and limited integration with iOS.

Kavya

Industry: Research

Probably my most used file management software

I've used this while working with a team at a startup and in graduate school now. Highly recommend for both collaboration as well as backing up document and cloud storage.

Pros

Box Sync is the first thing I'd recommend if you don't have that already. It sets up a folder on your local computer that you can treat as a folder just like 'Documents' and it syncs automatically when you're connected to wifi. I also like using Box Sync with Mendeley (reference manager) because it syncs all the docs in Mendeley into a single location on Box, which is great. I can make notes in the PDFs and it syncs into Mendeley so that I can see my comments there as well. The version control has saved my many times because every time you create a new version or save a document, it holds onto old versions. This way if you accidentally overwrite something, you can usually go back into Box online, look at previous versions, and restore the right one. It's also easy to use and isn't finicky like many software.

Cons

Unlike most of my software reviews, I don't have much to say for cons.

Reasons for choosing Box

Box seems to have better version control and seems safer to use. You can create custom share links and get notified when your collaborator has accepted the request to collaborate.

Alhassan

Box is the perfect all-round solution for all file management needs

I initially struggled to get used to their folder structures and access controls and preferred to assimilate and integrate them into the existing product I was already using. But after insistence from the team, I was forced to learn and adapt to Box. After a few days however, I started to get the hang of things and ended up using it just as much as I did my original product. I also find it more suited for smaller project teams than the alternative I was already used to.

Pros

Real time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing. It makes team collaboration in these times of remote working extremely efficient. And we no longer have to keep transferring documents to and fro as email attachments, which is not as secure. The comprehensive audit trail records also makes backtracking and management of unauthorized access and activity very simple.

Cons

Setting different access privileges for individual team members with access to shared folders can be a bit confusing. The process could be made a lot simpler with a tabular entries with individual columns dedicated to each access level.

Reasons for choosing Box

At the time of my initial use, I had preferred staying with my original product since it was what I was used to. But the management of the project I was consulting on insisted.

Reasons for switching to Box

New project team I was consulting for held a Box subscription, so I had to migrate.

Excellent document storage & management

Box empowered us to build a robust document repository that makes it simple for anyone on our team to find the files they're looking for.

Pros

Box has made our lives a million times easier by empowering us to store, organize, and share files of all types. We save our company assets, photos, Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel docs, PDFs, etc in various folders. We love the ability to tag files so we can find them easily. The document sharing features are excellent. I especially like the preview feature (it's much better than Google Drive's preview option).

Cons

My biggest complaint about Box isn't Box's fault – it's my company's settings. My company chose to have shared file links expire after about 30 days, which is a pain in the neck sometimes.

Reasons for choosing Box

Box was superior in how files were stored & shared.

Reasons for switching to Box

Box has a superior interface for storing & previewing non-Google files (ex. Microsoft Powerpoints).

Ali

Transfer and share files easily and securely in the cloud

One of the first options in transferring our files and offering in the list of required and recommended items to companies and organizations that we consult. If you have different meetings and need different files in the meetings, safely create a secure cloud space of your files in the box because one day it will come in handy. Having a backup on the secure cloud storage is always life-saving, and experience has shown that floppy disks, CDs, and flash drives and computer headers are not enough for a successful business.

Pros

I like the simplicity and good features and the appropriate speed of Box platform, you can easily transfer files from any device to the cloud storage space of the box. I like its speed and security, you will not feel any strangeness with the software. E-Signature make it more secure and Integration with lot of apps is wonderful. The cost and price is very reasonable and economical compared to the many features it provides to the user.‌ Data Loss Protection is great.

Cons

The graphic design of the dashboard should be simpler and more tangible and can be changed to the liking of the admin, Also a feature in the dashboard should be added to display the status of shared files and folders, and the latest status of views and downloads to be clearly and simply visible to the admin.

Reasons for choosing Box

Having a powerful and secure tool with modern features and at the same time easy to use for storing Documents and data in the cloud with affordable price

Reasons for switching to Box

We were looking for more features and less cost to store information

Industry: Publishing

Can't imagine running our business without Box

We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

Reasons for switching to Box

As outlined earlier, Dropbox's lack of file-level permissions allowed a company underling to wipe out the entire storage area of our company. After that mishap we considered using NAS only, but we really wanted cloud redundancy as well as local files. Box solved all of our problems that Dropbox presented.

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Dropbox Business and OneDrive

Reasons for choosing Box

OneDrive is connected with my Office 365 subscription and I might lose my documents if I switch account. Dropbox has some document conflicts and uploads are extremely slow with DSL.

Reasons for switching to Box

Uploads/Downloads are faster than the Dropbox paid Business Account and you avoid document conflicts you have with Dropbox. BOX is much better in that case.

Kory

Industry: Investment Management

Collaboration and Document Management at its best

Overall, we have been very happy with our transition to Box. The features provided have exceeded our expectations and there are still more features that we haven't used yet and that are being released on a regular basis. The staff and programming teams have been extremely helpful for the set-up and customization of Box for our needs.

Pros

Box provides an intuitive platform for collaborating and sharing documents with other coworkers, while maintaining significant flexibility on permissions for maintaining security on information as needed. The search functionality and version control have made it easier to find information quickly and helps to eliminate duplication and multiple versions of files. The integration with Office 365 and other service provides have been invaluable in creating efficiencies in our daily workflows. Box's mobile friendly platform makes for simple, yet secure access anywhere when data is needed.

Cons

Box is best used as a web app rather than through the desktop app, Box Drive. When our company started use of Box, we were more familiar with navigation to files through the use of Windows Explorer. Box Drive is Box's app for accessing files through the Explorer. However, Box Drive is slow to update and more difficult to navigate, with more limited features compared to the Web app. Unfortunately, Box Drive still has to be used for certain functions of our work where the web app and/or integrations with our services do not work.

Todd

Cloud file services that work like a real file share

I helped roll out this solution to a small (25 users) business almost 3 years ago to replace their local file server. I started using it myself vs. DropBox because the Box Desktop was so perfectly Mac, and I've since rolled it out to three other small businesses as a replacement for local file services they can access anywhere. When COVID-19 hit, and said clients needed their workers to work from home, the workflow hardly missed a beat, thanks to the fact they can work anywhere just as if they had a local file share on their desktop.

Pros

The Box Desktop app actually works to keep files in the cloud until and unless I'm using them, saving precious disk space on users' systems — unlike an unnamed popular competitor. And on the Mac, it works just like an external disk or mounted file share — right on the desktop, in the proper file hierarchy with no proprietary interface to complicate things, or presume how I want to look at my files.

Cons

Tech support can be slow to respond, as its first tier of support is via their forum and email, and I've waited as long as two days to get a response to an issue for a corporate subscription, and it's painfully apparent that the first tier team is reading straight off of cue cards, because they suggest things to try, even when my previous communication states IN DETAIL that I've already done said thing in my own troubleshooting. Beef up the support staff, pay better attention to what a customer has already said in their communications, and escalate things to engineering quicker, and they will remedy the one, glaring shortcoming in their service.

Reasons for choosing Box

DropBox sync doesn't work reliably, and the cloud only option often breaks and fills up a computer's storage. in addition, DropBox gets in the way of a MacOS Finder interface to splash their own, proprietary interface that attempts to predict what I want to look at. I want to look at a folder tree, in the windows my own computer provides. Box Desktop gives me that.

Reasons for switching to Box

In order to make file services fully remote accessible, and avoid issues that DropBox caused, including the disconnect between local resources and cloud resources.

Kacie

Box is secure and can innovate industries from video to medical

I loved using Box for file management and editing. It saved me time and headaches. I only wish that my company had expanded its use and unleashed more of its capabilities.

Pros

Box is the simplest way for me to stay organized, share files with others and ensure that my data is secure. The user experience is easy to understand. It's simple to invite others at a variety of permission levels (somer colleagues to view only, others to download, others to have full editing capability). Syncing on multiple devices is a snap. But when I attended BoxWorks for training, I realized that one of the best advantages to using Box is the company's relationships with large, high-profile, reputable companies that provide tech integrations. One plug-in takes my raw video footage and auto-generates a searchable log of all dialogue. So I can search for every time an actor says a certain word. The AI even allows me to search for visual cues - one conservation team was able to just search "penguin," and then all their footage from across the world was sorted through in order to allow their video editors to find exactly the footage they needed for their next project. Box Relay allows you to create workflows with different steps assigned to different teammates. So when you complete your action, the next person is automatically notified that they can begin the next step. Present state is impressive. But I have a feeling we'll see even greater things to come.

Cons

It took me awhile to think of anything negative to say. The max file size on the more affordable subscription options is perhaps the only drawback I can think of.

Ricky

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Robust Cloud Base System

We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section. 2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons. 3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want. 4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis. 5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily. 2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster. 3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files. 4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Phoebe

Great for Team Accessibility

Box is user-friendly which has allowed my team and I to overcome problems of needless time consumption. Research projects take up a lot of time because of the amount of data that needs to be uploaded and analyzed. However, Box has enabled my team to effectively work together and independently while maintaining the ethical guidelines of research.

Pros

As a tutor and a researcher, I love being able to upload videos of lesson plans and lectures so that my team and those I am working for are able to look back on what I said. Another thing I love about Box is how you can share multiple files with anyone you want and you are able to view who has downloaded something to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Box is especially useful for big groups of people. Everything is extremely accessible and easy to learn how to use. I recommend Box to my colleagues in research who want a safe way of maintaining confidentiality in research projects.

Cons

I do not have any problems with Box so far and I have been using Box for most of my college experience. I have used it for research, tutoring, and collaboration projects.

Reasons for switching to Box

I made the switch from Drive to Box because the interface is accessible and clean. It is easy to navigate where files are and who accessed which file.

Travis W.C.

Industry: Environmental Services

On the Go or From Home

I don't see any reason to change to another product or service, so long as the price remains competetive.

Pros

Box excels at one thing -- making documents accessible from anywhere. This amounts to benefits of efficiency and freedom to work on the go. Being able to access from any machine, particularly on a phone where other services often fail, enhances my ability to address customer's needs.

Cons

There's no indication when a file is open by another user. This has led to multiple users editing a document, and those documents don't merge well or at all, leaving a red exclamation point indicating there's an issue or an alternate file. We've lost some work this way. As a small company, this is manageable with clearer communication between employees, but I foresee this being an issue as we grow.

Reasons for choosing Box

We considered enhancing our storage with DropBox. Ultimately we liked the interface and accessibility of Box which seemed to have faster upload/download speeds and added features like Box Notes.

Reasons for switching to Box

My company previously had a VPN that was difficult to access from new locations and equipment, was not compatible with different phones/computers, and crashed often. Before that, we used dropbox and google drive, which we still use to a very small degree. Box means I have freedom to work effectively from wherever I choose.

Hayley

My Life Saver

Amazing. Box has helped transform my organization into a fully functioning team. We use this ALL the time. Any questions? Look on Box.

Pros

Box is honestly one of the greatest organizational tools out there. I use Box several times a day for all of my documents. Box has all major servers (Word, Excel, Notes, ect.) and you can upload anything to it! It also updates with real time and allows several viewers/editors at a time. This has been a MUST during executive meetings. We can also upload any music, video or picture files to share, which is essential for our industry. The ability to make several folders and organize data well is the key to using Box. I have almost transitioned out of using Google Docs completely.

Cons

Honestly, the only issue I have with box is sometimes there are loading issues when working on a file with the desktop. Also I can't find a way to delete old files that have been shared with another person that I don't want anymore.

Reasons for switching to Box

I switched from google docs because the ease of use, ability to work both online or desktop, ease of loading files, and great organizational options that Google Drive doesn't offer!

Showing 1 - 25 of 4,175 reviews