• Pros

• "The Software is easy to use and easy to teach others how to use"

• "Easy to use and install. If your needing to call support someone is always there to help. If a call back is required they are very prompt with getting back to you."

• "I like the ease of use of the software. The interface is simple and easy to navigate through without difficulty. "

• Cons

• "We are pretty happy with the overall working of the software. Maybe a small handful of times we have had to call support within a year, if that. "

• "To see some of the 3D images I would like to the software would require a very expensive graphics card. This is cost prohibitive. "

• "There are some technical bugs sometimes where the software freezes while trying to capture an image. Overall it doesn't happen too often. "

Browse Carestream Dental Reviews

My favorite dental software

My overall experience is great! I've been using the software for the last 5 years solid, and before that I used it on and off for 10 years. It is the dental software I found to be easiest to learn.

Pros

I like that you have quick keys on the keyboard, as well as the financial reports that you can generate for the practice.

Cons

Sometimes it throws error codes that prevent you from saving a patient chart.

Christopher from Simpson Dental Associates

Best Dental Practice Software

I've used SoftDent for over 3 years now since I started working at my current dental practice. On top of all of the capabilities of this software and the awesome interface, Carestream also has additional devices that are a must have for the software that can make your practice so much better. For example, the intraoral cameras, digital xray sensors, and CT scanner made by Carestream integrate so well with SoftDent and I use them daily on nearly every patient. I can't imagine ever using another dental software. Once you go SoftDent, you don't go back.

Pros

What isn't there to like about this software? This software is an all inclusive dental practice software with tons of features. I love the easy-to-use interface. I have worked in other dental offices before and have used competitor software, such as EagleSoft, and SoftDent is so much better and just overall has a better feel and experience.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything that I don't like about this software.

Brandon from Aponia Dental

Blast from the past Dental imaging software

Carestream does have good support; Supporting bad software is almost as good as having no support. So a lot of customers must perceive that Carestream is lacking in support when in fact the software is really a Frankenstein Software with mish-mash of programing designed for Windows 1998 and XP. Its 2017 and Windows 10 is very different level of programming.

Pros

The software carried us through for the past 10 years. Well programmed for its time. Uses Eclipse instead of SQL. Isn't Eclipse freeware?

Cons

Buying new Server Hardware has its limits and can't compensate for Old programming. Some of the the .ddl are specific to windows XP? Poor Database - lag of 12 seconds? Google is freakin' faster and Carestream database is internal network. Complained about software issues since 2011 with no hope of Carestream forming a team to redevelop the Dental Imaging system When you start using the system, you learn too much about poor software via your tech complaining at least once a week. I fix teeth for a living and I know too much about why Carestream software has problems. So.... you really think you want to go to CbCt and digital impressions with Carestream? 12 second lag with 2D images..... Would you want to pay staff to wait 15-30min for an image?

Alicia from Dentist Office

Poor customer service

Pros

The definition of radiograghs is surperb. That is all I like about it. I think for definition it is better than dentrix. I have been a hygienist for 16+ years and I think for the quality of films it is definitely the best I have seen. It is nice that you can use the radiographic system apart from their software system as far as maintaining records. We use strictly the program only for images. We use digital software. We capture Intra oral films, radiography with a sensor, panos, as well as 3D images. It is great for all of this. All of the images are very well defined.

Cons

Kicks you out of program, customer service terrible and takes lots of time. Whenever you have a problem you have to call them and wait on the line as they try and figure out what the problem is.

Nancy from Staley Dental Arts

Technical Support

Pros

The ease of use and the fact that their technical support team is hands down, one of the best, if not the best help I've had. Very patient with me or any other team member that has to call them. Very knowledgeable and work until they get the job done correctly. Kudos to all of them.

Cons

Can't think of anything. I don't know what the cost is, so I can't factor that into this review.

Bryan from Farmington Family Dental

Absolute Horrible Experience

I used Softdent for 3 years along with Carestream/ Kodak Imaging and what a nightmare. The system would crash on a regular basis. The images would take up to 2 minutes to appear. Carestream/Kodak Dental Imaging software should work together because they are from the same developer. They don't. Constant crashing and the Tech support would always blame the hardware. It was brand new hardware. I once had the hardware tech in the office when I called tech support. When they blamed the brand new hardware the hardware tech asked the Softdent Tech, show me the error code. The Softdent Tech couldn't. The Hardware Tech then told the Softdent Tech, "stop blaming the hardware for your poorly written software". At that point, they finally stopped blaming the brand new hardware. We had a dedicated imaging server, which was recommended by Softdent, then when I became so irate with tech support, they transferred all the imaging data to the main server, which didn't help. This was a start-up practice with relatively low amounts of data and a small database. I then demanded my money back for all the Carestream products, the intraoral sensors, intraoral camera, pano, extraoral camera, and software. I was put in contact with the VP of customer relations, who was very nice, and she said there was no return policy. She did send out a tech from Atlanta to Arizona and he was in my office for 3 days. He still couldn't get it to work right. The software is so piece milled together that each module has different icons for the same thing. The database was rebuilt multiple times. Good luck trying to care for patients, it was a full-time job getting the system to work right, which it never did, even though it was all from the same company. I do not know how they are still in business. If you have low blood pressure and would like to have high blood pressure or may be an aneurysm, buy Softdent.

Pros

Pretty marketing pictures

Cons

Everything. It doesn't work Period!

Matt from Matthew T. Daly, DMD

Look elsewhere

Pros

There are a nice set of reports that can be run using the software. Really trying to struggle to fill the minimum character requirement... I suppose that those reports are nice...

Cons

The cost is atrocious. I am locked in thru a previous practice owner. Forever. No joke. Once every 2 years or so they supposedly update the software, but these changes are negligible. Also, trying to use this for chairside charting is not an option, the graphics on the odontogram look like an old Atari system.

Sara from Dental Practice

Garbage!!!!!

DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!! Spend your money wisely. Get Eagle Soft or Dentrix. Stay away from this outdated system. I am switching ASAP!!!!!!!!

Pros

None!!! It was what I could afford at the time, but I am not recommending it to anybody. Not user friendly. Slow, outdated, tech support is costly for almost nothing

Cons

Crashes very often, non compatible with major Antivirus. Expensive for tech support that covers only minor issues. Every feature is extra money for what you need: like e back up, perio charting, etc. Costumer Service is horrendous!!! They take forever to answer the call. They are always sorry, they transfer you to 10 people before someone can give you a straight answer if he or she knows what’s going on. You spend 45 min to 1 hr to get you problem solved. If your lucky. System is not user friendly at all. When the Reps try to sell you the system they do not disclose all these “minor details”. They tell you, you will love it for the price. My contract is indefinite. Is yours? If you want to cancel, there will be a penalty charge. Nobody has any idea of what’s going on in this place. You get a different answer depending on who you talk to for the same issue you are trying to get resolved. Absolute “Garbage”!!!!!!!

August 2016

Juli from Juli Young, DMD, PC

1.5

August 2016

Review of Softdent Practice Management Software

Pros

I am familiar enough with it to navigate through the software with ease

Cons

The software is incredibly SLOW. I recently updated all of my computers and server in the office and despite this, the program is painfully slow. If I could only get back the time I've spent watching that darn blue circle go around and around! The IT guy tells me that it has nothing to with my computers or server, it is the software. He does IT work for quite a few dental offices and tells me that he wouldn't recommend anybody purchase the software. He says it may have been a good product 8 years ago, but now there is much better, faster, more user friendly dental software on the market. FYI, this software came with an existing practice that I purchased. I wouldn't have chosen this software myself.

Softdent is a sinking ship, horrible support and myriad problems.

Pros

This software is cheaper than the other big names in dental practice management software. It works best on Windows XP (yep, you heard that right).

Cons

Softdent has tons of problems. First, if you are using Windows 7 with Server 2012, you'll see all kinds of slowness. You can help it by installing some hotfixes, disabling SMB, LLMNR, and a few other things, but this only speeds it up marginally. Older computers actually run this software faster. When you do need support, Carestream hold times can be upwards of an hour. There are other network drops that happen somewhat frequently. They released a big product update that they later cancelled due to problems, then released another version which didn't solve speed problems.

Nancy from Staley Dental Arts

X-rays

Pros

I think the customer support is outstanding, they will walk/talk you through any problem you may have. If that doesn't work, they'll remote in and get it figured out for you. Great group of people.

Cons

Recently had to get a new sensor and it had to be installed by third party that does it for offices. First thing I was told was this would not be simple, because it never is with Carestream. They were correct. Thought it was done, wasn't, and turned around and came back before getting far away. Thought it was done again because Carestream had them go through the server. Didn't work for all computers. Install is coming back again so all computers can access the program. It's not a bad program, it's just not a great one.

Harold from Private Practice

The Benchmark for Orthodontic Software

I highly recommend Orthotrac to anyone considering purchasing a new Ortho Software Program. I have been a user of Orthotrac for almost 20 years and they have successfully improved any of the deficiencies in the software.

Pros

We are a very busy Orthodontic Office with ~ 40 computers running Orthotrac. The program is solid, we rarely need to contact support for any issues. When we do need support they are very willing to remotely connect to our system and solve any problems while we continue to treat patients. One of the most important things to me was finding a comprehensive software with a strong, efficient support department, which this company definitely has. The new charting module is amazing.

Spencer from Wayne Joseph DDS

The worst software and company

I wholeheartedly agree with with every negative comment made about this company. I was getting by just fine using a practice management software that was a fraction of the cost of Orthotrac but I allowed myself to foolishly be sold on Orthotrac thinking because it was made by a large corporation that the product and customer service would be better, I was wrong on both accounts .Orthotrac cloud is nothing like what is advertised. You cannot simply just log on from any device anywhere as promised you actually have download program on every device you wish to long on with and even then you can only log on a certain number of dedicated devices and if you try to use a new device you risk functionality loss. Their goal in not living up to their claim of any device anywhere is to upsell its customers on buying additional usernames which depending on who you talk with varies from $45 to $90 for each username on top of the monthly exorbitant monthly fee and other additional addons for eservices. Lastly,The customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with in any industry. NO ONE RETURNS YOUR CALLS so if you have any issue you are S.O.L.

Pros

There is really nothing I like about the software. It isn't that easy to use and the support is terrible

Cons

The imaging and practice management software aren't that functional and is integrated poorly.

Reasons for Choosing Carestream Dental

I sold on the idea of a one stop solution for my equipment and software. I now realize that company that attempts to do everything does so poorly.

Claudia from NVOMS

Carestream dental is a fairly easy software to use. I've used other software and this is my fav!!!!

I love that it's easy to learn and very practical.

Pros

I like that you can dock patients to your staff members to communicate with them and that you can also leave alert notes in patient's account regarding financial, medical and personal information.

Cons

what I least like about this software is that when you call to confirm appointments it doesn't allow you to specify how you confirmed it. Also, when posting patient's there is no way to show that you have already posted payment or procedures to their accounts. It'd be really helpful if they could maybe have a specific color theme for that so you can keep track and stay organized.

Jodi from Neponset Valley Oral Surgery

CS Imaging has been helpful

The software allows me to print out xrays in an efficient way for both myself and the Doctor. It allows for pertinent information to be printed out with the image that helps everyone working.

Pros

My favorite thing about the software would be how it gives me the option to have the patients date of birth printed out on the xray. This really helps identify who the xray belongs too as well as saves us a step of labeling it.

Cons

My least favorite thing about the software would be that it is sometimes temperamental. I do not like that there are times when it will not allow me to flip a panoramic xray horizontally to view. This does not happen all the time but it does happen often enough.

Evan from Health, Wellness & Fitness

Functional but glitchy

Once you get to support it has always been fast an efficient. Getting to the right person though ..... can sometimes be a nightmare of being transfered multiple times

Pros

Allows for lots of different views and ways to capture an image and can add lots of layers of enhancements to the image

Cons

Glitchy - sometimes the image is lost between the server and the workstation. Sometimes it doesn't save Not as intuitive as I'd like - often I have to rotate the images to the proper orientation

Martha from Transcona Dental Centre

easy to use imaging system

the images that are being taken are clear and pop up fast, so we are able to show are patients right away. The overall flow of the program is well thought out.

Tracy from Brar Family Dentistry

Great

Pros

Carestream dental software seems to be fairly easy to use. They try to keep it very user friendly.

Cons

I wish when you marked a patient "confirmed" that it gave the option of how it was confirmed. I've used other software in the past that has given a dropdown menu with items such as "left message w/ adult", "left message w/ child", "left message on voicemail" etc.

Cressi from iSmile Dental

SoftDent is OK, but could be better

After years of using SoftDent, I finally thought I had it figured out. But along came an issue and could not find a solution in the Help section, had to contact customer service. Ended up changing software to a more user friendly, easier to navigate POS.

Pros

I do like the appearance of the graphics

Cons

Navigation is tricky and there is just so much to remember. Unable to integrate with our Web host.

Ben from Red Bank Smiles

Working with Softdent

I can't wait till Softdent rolls out its new iteration.

Pros

It's the 2nd best software I have used, behind Dentrix. The support team is great, and it was easy for my team to use to make patient appointments and write clinical notes.

Cons

The system is outdated. It is not intuitive. I am a millennial/Gen X, and am used to tech that is simple and easy to use.

Catherine from Perih Orthodonics

Imaging quality great and easy to use!

Great quality imaging!

Pros

The ease of loading photos and exporting images easy. With the help of technicians, we were able to load our logo so any images are branded with our office. Software easy to customize!

Cons

I would like comparison photos to expand larger and exporting photos without having to make them PDF files.

Jerold from self

Carestream WinOms

Kodak product origionally-- high priced-- they sold it to care stream at a premium.

Pros

Specialty targeted---Maxillofacial surgery--- production summaries are good to see if you are on track

Cons

Learning curvequite steep to be proficient-- very specific production summaries are too deep --- too many steps to see daily $

kristi from Hospital & Health Care

CS Imaging is the best

I am able to diagnosis issue's with patient's dental needs more than I can with a regular x-ray.

Pros

I like how easy the software is to use. If i need to change the contrast of an image it guides you step by step. It is also to easy to take an image.

Cons

Software is wonderful. there is nothing i did not like.

sarah from Paul K Shivers DDS

customer service is not the best, long hold times for support

Pros

there is really nothing about this software that i like that isn't available with all the other software out there.

Cons

the lack of functionality in the dental practice with multiple providers . the reports and claims forms have multiple errors that cannot be avoided according to support team

Mariah from Lifetime Dental of Millersville

Carestream Dental Imaging Software

Pros

The software is very user friendly. It works quickly and accurately to get clear images. It is compatible with Dentrix, Planet DDS, and Eaglesoft systems.

Jerry from Dentistry

Been using Softdent since 1987

Wendy is a great trainer, Fran has been a great rep inside guy very responsive

Pros

User friendly, very efficient. Excellent reports and continues to grow. Was created with Dentists giving valuable advise.

Cons

Don’t communicate with their clients enough. Their should be more Carestream to Dental Office interaction.

Matthew from Riverview Cosmetic Dentistry

Untruthful, Poor customer support, DOES NOT INTEGRATE WITH DEXIS!!

Horrible customer service, Completely dishonest (still states that there program integrates with Dexis) while it does not. Use any other dental software program except SoftDent! Please feel free to call me to find out more about my experience with this program if you would like!

Pros

Long time users of Softdent with few problems, but the latest update does not allow the program to integrate and they claim that they can do nothing about the issue.

Cons

We have used Softdent for more than 10 years and have been "alright" with the program. The latest update that we downloaded caused the program to no longer integrate with Dexis which it always has and they claim that it will. The update had been out for 6 months but at first they claimed that we were the only office that they had had this glitch with. 3 weeks later they have admitted that the program will not integrate with Dexis and they can not fix the issue even though every update for the last ten years has integrated with Dexis. They state they will not help any more with this issue.

Cheryl from UNMC

Intraoral Camera and viewing software pretty awesome

Pros

Pretty fancy interface and easy to use. Really nice technology and software

Cons

Sometimes program freezes PCs easily. If settings arent chosen prior to importing into certain EDRs color can be lost. Sometimes easy to lose all photos with one wrong click

Julie from Stelly Family Dentistry

Slowest Program ever!

Pros

It is very user friendly now, however we are wanting to go chartless and it doesn't seem like it will be very efficient program to use once we do.

Cons

It is the SLOWEST program EVER with the spinning circle of death anytime you try and complete a patient.

Joshua from VDC

CS Softdent

Pros

It is very user friendly once you know what your doing.

Cons

The software is capable of so much that it is sometimes difficult to know which reports to run that are the most beneficial to your practice.

Vicki from Des Moines Pediatric Dental Center

Look for a different software

Pros

There have been a few good support people.

Cons

Support, I think many work from home, need to request Level 2 tech, I don't have time for level one trying to figure things out. Software is extremely slow so as our practice grew it had become extremely frustrating, we then added the Faircom server to speed up process which it did HOWEVER Faircom is a glass slipper and CRASHES if it isn't perfect conditions. We need to replace our 2012 server but we have to replace with another 2012 because Softdent isn't compatible with the most recent server! We also use E-forms on the iPads we just did an update on iPads to 11 and now eforms no longer work because it isn't compatible, I am told they are working on it... seems to me the developers would be forward thinking on development and not a step behind. Time to move out of the dinosaur age. After struggling with this for 14 years we are looking for a change.

Katherine from Anthony M. Cope DDS

Great Practice Management System

Great!

Pros

The Software is easy to use and easy to teach others how to use

Cons

I wish I could edit notes on a patients clipboard (i.e. to add details or correct possible mistakes)

Sarah from Mesa Dental

One of the best!

Care stream is my go to software for beautiful images. You can see the the entire mouth of the patient very clearly. Easy to use and affordable!

liane from Blackford dental

Carestream Images

Pros

Does provide great quality images for review and to show dental issues to the pt. and insurance companies

Cons

customer service is not that great. Have called a few times and they always seem to push off issues to other companies

Rylee from Pullman Dental Care

Huge disconnect from Softdent to E-Services

Minimal accountability from management. Inability of techs to resolve simple problems such as using an insurance-provided individual identify number rather than an SSN. Inability to print a list of "Family" appointments from an account-level, except on a "Walkout Statement".

Pros

We have used Softdent for over 15 years. The learning curve is fairly simple.

Cons

After Softdent was bought by Carestream and then by Kodak, and separated their e-services to a new department our electronic claims have at random intervals been disconnected for what appears to be an unpaid balance of $2.98; with no contact from the company by email, paper mail, or phone.

Aly from IFD

Good hardware and software - IF THEY DON'T change their model

The support of the company is highly dependent on the local reps

Pros

Carestream is one of the last scanning companies that provides unlimited support with no annual contract. Their scanning equipment is good and is accurate and fast

Cons

It's not as popular as other companies so it's user base is smaller

Reasons for Choosing Carestream Dental

Annual cost - accuracy

Alyssa from Norge Dental Center

This was an ok software for the size of practice I worked at

Pros

There wasn't a lot of steps to get where i needed to go to accomplish what i needed to do. Pretty user friendly

Cons

It was a little to simple for me. I would have preferred a software that had more options to do a little more complex treatment planning and note taking. However, it has been several years since I have used it so I would hope that it has upgraded some.

Shafaq from Elite Care Dental

Worst customer service and worst sales rep

I have encountered nothing but frustration and lCk of communication I bought a 6200 sensor that didn't work because they never sent the CD that should come with it after waited for over a month for it to arrive and it didn't I decided to send it ack but they won't return it Scott Cooper even failed to give me a copy of my contract I bought CS 8100 also never the less very poor customer service

Pros

No pros

Cons

Very poor customer service lack of manners of sales rep Scott Cooper

Oscar from Dental Del valle

No warranty on products

After buying expensive scanner, it stopped working after a year and a half and no maintanance plan is available , no extended warranty available for purchase. I have to pay for another few years for a intraoral scanner that can't be fixed

Pros

Easy to use, no power needed, light weight, no tower attached, you can use it in every compatible computer.

Cons

No warranty and products don't last. No maintanance program offered, no extensive warranty offered. Needs compatible computers

Donna from Bright Dental

Inefficient program

Software does not support multi-tasking, always have to back out of what I'm doing in order to get to another area of the program. Multiple people cannot access the patients chart at the same time. Old & outdated look & functionality.

Pros

Used it for many years so I am familiar

Cons

Lack of updates and poor customer experience,

Shawn from Shawn Cohen DDS PLLC

Terrible Software and terrible tech-support

Pros

none. its use to be good, and over the years, the updates have completely corrupted the program and they refuse or are unable to debug it.

Cons

I own it for last 10 years and my prztice has come to a halt due to this faulty, buggy software

April 2016

Harold from Gentle Touch Dental Care

April 2016

Support is getting worse and worse

Pros

At the time I switched to Softdent I was using a Dos based program that was purchased by Softdent. Only Softdent would guarantee the transfer of my records from the old program. The price was good at that time

Cons

Support has gotten worse and worse. There are long wait times for support. Their accounts receivable department hounds you if you are a day late with their payment. Sales promised me not to bill me for e-prescribing until I used the program , then started billing me with no notice even though I have never used their e-prescribing module.

German from TDHC

Useless

Cons

Crashes at least once a day, trying to get a solution and guess what? Useless. I will be able to give cons when the situation is fixed meanwhile this program is just a disaster.

anon from Dental Practice.

Do not buy this "software"

Softdent is a horribly broken non functional pile of garbage. We have used this program for years now, it has never worked correctly and breaks on a weekly(sometimes daily basis) the fix is always to reindex the database which takes 3 hours in the middle of the day where no one can use the software. It has been like this for two years with us having to go down at least once a week to "fix the database" we have tried moving to a new network and new server entirely but the problems persist. Softdent has horrible error checking, uses a weird proprietary database back end that does not work at all. This program is not even close to ready for production and their support is a huge embarrassing joke. I will be surprised if the company even exists in a year.

Pros

I like the box it comes in and the "features" it is advertised as having.

Cons

It break constantly just for like no reason and support acts like that is normal. It is like if you bought a new car and it broke down every day and the dealer said "well you drove it faster than 15 miles an hour so that is really on you"

ben from rockwall pediatric dentistry

the most unreliable poorly constructed digital sensors.

Customer service is also generally terrible. Unable to keep up with records (had to show them my transactions, claiming we had no replacements in 5 years) and very anxious to nickel and dim fee you at every chance.

Pros

not a single thing. I generally dislike all aspects of your product and wish I hadn't inherited it.

Cons

to big - other products much better in design replace constantly terrible quality- have replaced 3 sensors 2 times in two years - paying well over 3k each time. The warranty does not reset apparently even though its a new sensor?

Robert from Orta Oral Surgery

TERRIBLE SUPPORT

We are an Oral Surgery office and went live with WinOMS on December of 2016 after using Windent for 17 years. Our experience with Customer Support has been terrible! Wait times to get to a Level 1 tech can take upwards of 30 minutes on average, to as much as an hour, and generally requires them to "escalate" the call to a Level 2 tech because they do not have the ability to solve the problem. The Level 2 techs are not available to the calling customer but rather are reached by the Level 1 tech via emailing only. If you are confused, wait, there's more! Once your issue is raised to a level 2 tech it can take an undetermined amount of time for them to solve your problem, requiring you to call back just to see where you stand with a resolution. Had I known this would never have purchased this system. STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

Pros

NOTHING

Cons

EVERYTHING

Carestream is a great program for viewing images.

Luz from Ahh Dental PC

Terrible

Do not buy it!

Cons

The interface is cumbersome and counter intuitive. The graphics are mediocre and makes you feel like you are using one of those software developed in the 90's. Very hard to configure thing and find your way around. Inefficient

Gregory from Kuo Dental

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT!! We were told that we could take bite wings with the model 8100 and it would bridge into our software and it DOES NOT!! No one at the company wants to take responsibility for the problem and we are stuck with a product that does not work like we were told it would. Get every "promise" in writing!! We have been trying to solve this problem with Carestream for aver 6 months. We would have given it a zero star if possible... shame on you Carestream

Pros

** DO NO PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT!! There is ZERO customer service

Cons

Their lack of commitment top their product!! After it was installed there was NO follow up visit from rep. No Training from CS.

Jennifer from Springbrook Family Dentistry

Very poor quality practice management software

I only started using Softdent due to taking over a practice that had it in place. I immediately worked towards switching to another software after realizing only days later how bad it was. I would hmstrogly recommend staying away from Softdent.

Pros

I don't have much in the way of positives for this software. I suppose it performed basic tasks you would need for practice management.

Cons

This software was very slow and clunky. It took 4 clicks to do things that should take one click. It was also not user friendly or intuitive.