All BigCommerce Reviews

Kavindu Githsara

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Reliable and Powerful Ecommerce Management Platform

First of all, i have to say, this platform will never collapse your financial stability. It really worth for your investment. BigCommerce is the main reason to grow our product sales in our business. This platform gives you ability to manage your all the business needs from one single place in a professional way. And this platform is not only to sell Digital Goods but also Physical Goods. BigCommerce offers a grate experience for both Business side and Customer side.

PROS

BigCommerce Support team is excellent. They respond to our inquires quickly with solutions. They are available on 24/7 for our support which is a grate thing about this platform that their competitors don t have. This platform offers lots of features that will help, any kind of online businesses. Such as Store setup, Inventory Management, Order Management, Marketing Tools, Website Builders and many more. Platform is very easy to adopt. Easy to configure. It offers many integration options with other tool, which makes this platform has no limitations. It has grate security features, so you have nothing to worry regarding any security issues. that helps us to build trust with our customer base. It has lots of custom templates that we can create colorful and attractive checkout pages and designs.

CONS

Their plans has Sale Limits. Also, the ability to recover abounded carts is available only in Higher-Tier Plans. Other than that, there is nothing to complain.

Margaret

Design, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Great e-commmerce platform if you can't afford custom designs but have a large inventory of products

The company I worked for had a B2B e-commerce website, but wanted to start a second e-commerce site that was more B2C focused since the clientele had different needs, and the B2B site was not set up to accommodate all the new B2C business. We were able to set it up quickly and provide accurate shipping costs and product option costs.

PROS

I loved the versatility available for building product pages, being able to set it up so pricing adjusts automatically for different product options, and the import/export functions to update large inventories via Excel documents instead of manually editing within the web app.

CONS

Initial setup can be confusing, especially when new to e-commerce and knowing how to tell it to calculate tax, shipping, etc. Their customer service is great though, so if you're confused about a setting you can call and talk to someone very quickly. I rarely ever waited more than 5 minutes to talk to a rep.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

We ultimately chose BigCommerce because of the affordable yearly costs to own for our projected business size, and the in-depth setup options. The company was also looking to open a second location which would complicate shipping and tax implications, so BigCommerce was the best value for the functionality available.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

We needed an easy to manage platform that all departments could easily learn, and one where we would not need a developer to manage the setup, design, etc. Ultimately we switched because Volusion could not support a product page with a large variety and combination of options. Even after speaking with a technical rep at Volusion, they said that based on all of possible combinations created based on the size, price, and color options we had for a single product that it would overload and freeze the system.

Max

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Terrific admin UI and purchaser experience - BigCommerce will not fix bugs customers find

The software has been solid for our customers and the administration UI is very easy to use. We have outstanding technical issues that have been open for more than a year and are still not resolved (HTTP status 500 errors that intermittently are returned from their backend APIs) - they say they cannot see the errors in their backend logs and we must send them examples even though we have this happen 10-12 times a day, continually, for over a year. Their Stripe integration does not include the email address field when they send payment requests to Stripe, so customers do not get a credit card receipt from Stripe. Requesting this be changed resulted in them telling us only 1 other customer wanted this feature and that we should switch to Authorize or Brain Tree because it works with those processors) - this felt like a move to downplay the use of Stripe and push us towards vendors that BigCommerce perhaps prefers? It is hard to believe we are the only customer that would want Stripe to send CC receipts to customers - their built-in receipt mechanism does not allow a store to include the last 4 digits of the credit card in the receipt the store sends, which means customers have to call in to customer support when they are organizational customers to figure out which CC is used - a very poor experience for our customers and for our customer support team.

PROS

It is highly customizable, has most of the features you'd expect in an e-commerce solution, and the APIs are well-documented.

CONS

* Seemingly easy solutions to known issues get stuck in their support bureaucracy and disappear * Their logging does not allow software engineers nor CSRs to see the specifics of errors - customers must provide client-side stack traces to help them find errors on their backend (for example, API calls that return HTTP status 500)

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Was chosen before I joined the company.

Reviewed February 2020

Bigcommerce edged out the competition for my online store.

I tried several shopping cart e-commerce solutions and found that Bigcommerce suited my needs the most. I ended up using a free style template and customized it myself saving me a lot of money. Online and phone support are top notch!

PROS

The ease of use was a major factor in my decision to go with Bigcommerce. There are many choices out there for online retailers to build their storefront. I liked the ease of customization and the large amount of standard features. Their integration with online marketplaces and social media really saves a lot of time.

CONS

There is an annual sales cap that I'm worried about, but when I get to that point I will just upgrade the service to where I need it. There are not enough free store style templates available. Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

For my use, it was the superior product.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

I liked the layout and template choices more with Bigcommerce.

Jackie

Reviewed April 2022

Happy over-all.

Over all I am happy with BigCommerce.

PROS

I like the store I created. I like the creative freedoms in BigCommerce. I find my way around easily. I like that I could use Quickbooks to process payments. At the time I started my online store that was not possible with Shopify.

CONS

You should be able to add locations to invoices. I don't print packing slips, just the invoices. I have to hand write the locations on the invoice for the person pulling items for the order. I wish I could sort the order of the items and have it stay that way! It takes a bit of time for the average Joe to learn their way around on BigCommerce. Once I got past the learning curve it became quite comfortable.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Because I wanted to integrate the payments with Quickbooks.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

OpenCart was very limited in its functions.

Jason

Printing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2021

Easy to use but they didn't have my back

At first it was great, but as they got bigger they didn't seem to value my business the same way and forced me to pay almost 3 times what I had agreed to. I was happy to switch to a competitor when I did.

PROS

I liked that it was very easy to figure out. It was updated regularly and laid out nicely. I built my first e-commerce store on my own using this software.

CONS

I kept hitting walls with what I wanted to do. Some of the features were limiting like "Options" and I kept hoping they would improved them. They also made a change to their pricing structure and took away Customer Groups on the plan I was on. It was $29/mo and then all of a sudden it was $79/mo. I wish they grandfathered me in. When I called to complain or work something out, they had a take it or leave it attitude... so I left it.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

I switched since BigCommerce changed my pricing basically taking away Customer Groups unless I paid $50 more per month. I felt a little ripped off and they seemed to not care when I called. I was happy that I switched.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Love it!

PROS

We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

CONS

There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Better customization options for our business at the time.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

Lack of service and support for the product.

Christine

Plastics, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Big Commerce Works for Harman

Our previous platform was limited and not very user friendly. BigCommerce has made managing our online store so much easier and it has allowed us to provide a better customer experience.

PROS

I love the way the interface is set up. It is very easy to manage and everywhere you need to access is easy to find - You can also customize different status' so we can identify every situation quickly. We are just starting to use the Blog feature and we are very excited about how easy this is to manage.

CONS

The blog themes are kind of generic. We had to have our blog template designed so it would stand out and match the overall look we are going for.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

Functionality and ease of use was not what we wanted

Reviewed January 2020

A great tool for customizable templates

I love it. It offers additional features like my online store's SEO, drop shipping, etc.

PROS

Love the templates available for my store and customization options.

CONS

Price difference between the level of subscriptions can be a little high. Some basic features fall into a higher subscription.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

BigCommerce was visually more appealing to me. I loved the designs available.

Reviewed March 2020

Great for Small Businesses

Bigcommerce helped our business to start with a webpage. The customer service is great and they are always open to new ideas.

PROS

The ease of using Bigcommerce was a huge plus for our business. It was easy to navigate and program the software to fit our business needs.

CONS

The options for adding different clothing options didn’t exist making it difficult for our customers to choose their sizes in the drop down sections.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Bigcommerce was the cheapest for our business

Clint

Reviewed February 2023

BigCommerce is great for your online business.

PROS

Big Commerce is very easy to use and integrates with many other small business software providers. My website looks great!

CONS

I have had no issues with Big Commerce other than my payment provider (Square) losing sync with the website every 30 days. This issue has been corrected though.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

I felt that Big Commerce offered a great value and was easier to use than the other platforms that I previewed.

Ivan

Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed October 2018

A Poor Man's Shopify Plus---Easier to Use/Maintain than Magento But Lagging Behind Shopify

We moved from Magneto Go, to Magento CE, and then to Bigcommerce over the course of several years in business. Moving from Magento, Bigcommerce was an obvious and needed upgrade for us. Our store was more reliable, and significantly easier to manage day to day. A lot of things that had kept me up as a sysadmin were no longer an issue and we saw very little loss in functionality all things considered. We used Bigcommerce for roughly a year and a half, leaving the platform entirely in early 2018 for Shopify Plus. In terms of the software itself, I do not regret this transition at all. If you can afford Plus I would advise you to go for it. The product is more mature than it was even a year ago, and is now a clear industry leader over Bigcommerce, OpenCart, Magento etc.

PROS

Cloud based, more-reliable-than-magento hosting, decent discount rules engine, compatible with most major "Shipping Manager" softwares like Shipstation etc No overly-restrictive terms of use, suitable platform for sellers of "high-risk" items. Better than Magneto in practice for 85% of small to medium businesses.

CONS

Poor optimization for speed, poor user-facing checkout experience, tepid app ecosystem, objectively inferior automation and reporting tools, admin UI is clunky, customization of themes is difficult and costly, new features/product launches are paywalled and often incomplete, didn't stop billing us when we canceled service to switch to Shopify, experienced a glitch which inexplicably hid paid orders... Out of the box Shopify does practically everything better while minimizing the potential for errors during setup, configuration, optimization, and daily use of your store. In almost every metric and use case Shopify dominates Bigcommerce. Bigcommerce is playing catchup, and it's obvious from the back end of the software their team is struggling to stay competitive. While we were on the platform some updates appeared to suffer from "Microsoft syndrome" in that they looked pretty but had minimal depth or practical utility (think 3D paint or the latest version of windows media player). Bigcommerce only comes out ahead in pricing, terms of service, and a few configuration edge cases (which can mostly be solved by Apps in Shopify.)

Renata

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Great E-Commerce Solution!

It's a pleasant and delightful experience. It is a robust e-commerce solution for B2B, B2C and Wholesalers.

PROS

At our agency, we were used to working with WooCommerce, Shopify and we had never really worked with BigCommerce. Until we decided that it was time to step things up for one of our clients. We had a delightful surprise to see that BigCommerce is one of the most complete platforms out there, that is extremely user friendly whilst being robust and complete. You have every type of solution you can imagine within your platform. From Wholesale B2B to a simple one page shop, you can build it all. BigCommerce offers amazing templates you can choose from, and also the Cornerstone which is a blank canvas. As an agency, we've gone through the partnership process and we are officially a part of BigCommerce marketplace!

CONS

What I don't like is how the development can be a bit different than what we're accustomed to, and not as user friendly as Wordpress. For instance, on Wordpress our team can set up the background in a friendly way for our customers to use and manipulate sections without the need of a developer 24hs helping them. Now as far as BigCommerce goes, the way some pages are set up require you to have an intermediate understanding of HTML if you want to manipulate some text and imagery. I find this quite difficult since our clients are the ones changing content on the website once we hand it off to them.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

We needed a more complete platform solution.

Reviewed April 2020

Ecommerce Platform with Great Customer Service

In general, I am very satisfied with the product. It serves its purpose for a reliable and easy to set up ecommerce platform with lowmaintenance cost.

PROS

Although the platform offers a lot of features for an ecommerce business to be able to run daily operations and analyze data, my favourite part by far is the fact that it has a great customer service. Every time when there is an issue with the website or we have questions, we can chat with a representative from Bigcommerce. Their customer service is very reliable and knowledgeable. No waiting on the phone, no back and fort transferring between reps. Technical support is right there for you.

CONS

I wish there were more applications that can be easily integrated. Compared to Shopify, Bigcommerce doesn't offer as vast variety of options.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Gift Card feature out of the box.

Electra

Reviewed May 2022

Love it over woo commerce

If was fine as long as I had a web developer helping

PROS

The type of editing are seemingly endless

CONS

Unless you are web developer and wen designer it is very hard to customize your website alone.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Felt it was the best option at the time

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

Thought it would be easier and more stable

Katherine

Marketing and Advertising, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed October 2020

It's a good platform

At some point we always found ourselves strengthening the site and working it on Wordpress, at least for the coding and styling. Bigcommerce for the product set up and integration with google shopping was effective.

PROS

The good thing is that you don’t have to buy web hosting or install anything on your computer to use it, since it's hosted. It has a good amount of templates you can explore. Despite it is thought for people less into web designing, it also allows more tech-savvy users and developers to apply some HTML and CSS styling.

CONS

You really need to evaluate well the plan that will help you the most according to your business growing strategy, if not, you'll feel limited. Review the transactions fees and the sale limits.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

The company was already working with it.