• Pros

• "Easy to use, good options, Support is always amazing and there to help you"

• "This software seems to be very easy to use. Very simple setup and easy to manage. I've had to teach people to use the program which went very smoothly. "

• "Super easy to set up. You can customize as much as you want. Easy integration capabilities. Custom service and support is excellent. "

• Cons

• "Sometimes it can be a little hard to make modifications to things that aren't naturally supported by bigcommerce when editing the template but the community helps a lot."

• "BigCommerce email hosting is just OK, and really not well supported. They actually recommend hosting email elsewhere."

• "The price is higher than a lot of comparable software systems, which can be a drawback, but it is worth building the price into the system."

Browse Bigcommerce Reviews

Nathan from McFly Outdoors

Industry: Sporting Goods

Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros

Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons

Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

Bigcommerce ultimately offered the greatest financial value in terms of entry-level features and marketplace functionality that were available to us as a growing small business.

Margaret from Joint Commission Resources

Great e-commmerce platform if you can't afford custom designs but have a large inventory of products

The company I worked for had a B2B e-commerce website, but wanted to start a second e-commerce site that was more B2C focused since the clientele had different needs, and the B2B site was not set up to accommodate all the new B2C business. We were able to set it up quickly and provide accurate shipping costs and product option costs.

Pros

I loved the versatility available for building product pages, being able to set it up so pricing adjusts automatically for different product options, and the import/export functions to update large inventories via Excel documents instead of manually editing within the web app.

Cons

Initial setup can be confusing, especially when new to e-commerce and knowing how to tell it to calculate tax, shipping, etc. Their customer service is great though, so if you're confused about a setting you can call and talk to someone very quickly. I rarely ever waited more than 5 minutes to talk to a rep.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

We ultimately chose BigCommerce because of the affordable yearly costs to own for our projected business size, and the in-depth setup options. The company was also looking to open a second location which would complicate shipping and tax implications, so BigCommerce was the best value for the functionality available.

Chad from MOZAY

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros

BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier. There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great. The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons

If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress. They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable. For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages. And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email. I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

Great for Small Businesses

Bigcommerce helped our business to start with a webpage. The customer service is great and they are always open to new ideas.

Pros

The ease of using Bigcommerce was a huge plus for our business. It was easy to navigate and program the software to fit our business needs.

Cons

The options for adding different clothing options didn’t exist making it difficult for our customers to choose their sizes in the drop down sections.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

Bigcommerce was the cheapest for our business

Mark from E gallery furniture

Bigcommerce edged out the competition for my online store.

I tried several shopping cart e-commerce solutions and found that Bigcommerce suited my needs the most. I ended up using a free style template and customized it myself saving me a lot of money. Online and phone support are top notch!

Pros

The ease of use was a major factor in my decision to go with Bigcommerce. There are many choices out there for online retailers to build their storefront. I liked the ease of customization and the large amount of standard features. Their integration with online marketplaces and social media really saves a lot of time.

Cons

There is an annual sales cap that I'm worried about, but when I get to that point I will just upgrade the service to where I need it. There are not enough free store style templates available. Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

For my use, it was the superior product.

Jennifer from Lexli

Love it!

Pros

We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

Cons

There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

Better customization options for our business at the time.

Christine from Harman Corporation

Industry: Plastics

Big Commerce Works for Harman

Our previous platform was limited and not very user friendly. BigCommerce has made managing our online store so much easier and it has allowed us to provide a better customer experience.

Pros

I love the way the interface is set up. It is very easy to manage and everywhere you need to access is easy to find - You can also customize different status' so we can identify every situation quickly. We are just starting to use the Blog feature and we are very excited about how easy this is to manage.

Cons

The blog themes are kind of generic. We had to have our blog template designed so it would stand out and match the overall look we are going for.

Bigcommerce may not be the biggest name in eCommerce, though it's great as a user and developer

I've used Bigcommerce for new businesses with clients unfamiliar with website or eCommerce management, and have managed to set them up comfortably with an eCommerce site that is easy to update and maintain a blog on.

Pros

Bigcommerce is very developer and user friendly. I found it to be stand out when developing a custom theme, and was able to easily integrate a clients inventory system and train them to use the system faster than with competing tools.

Cons

I don't have a great deal of trouble with Bigcommerce. I think the main gripe is that abandoned cart recovery requires a more pricey monthly plan. This feature would be great for smaller businesses trying to get started.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

I work with a few eCommerce platforms, but I chose Bigcommerce as the platform for some clients as it was great to use and develop with during the trial.

A great tool for customizable templates

I love it. It offers additional features like my online store's SEO, drop shipping, etc.

Pros

Love the templates available for my store and customization options.

Cons

Price difference between the level of subscriptions can be a little high. Some basic features fall into a higher subscription.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

BigCommerce was visually more appealing to me. I loved the designs available.

Max from Teachstone Training, LLC.

Terrific admin UI and purchaser experience - BigCommerce will not fix bugs customers find

The software has been solid for our customers and the administration UI is very easy to use. We have outstanding technical issues that have been open for more than a year and are still not resolved (HTTP status 500 errors that intermittently are returned from their backend APIs) - they say they cannot see the errors in their backend logs and we must send them examples even though we have this happen 10-12 times a day, continually, for over a year. Their Stripe integration does not include the email address field when they send payment requests to Stripe, so customers do not get a credit card receipt from Stripe. Requesting this be changed resulted in them telling us only 1 other customer wanted this feature and that we should switch to Authorize or Brain Tree because it works with those processors) - this felt like a move to downplay the use of Stripe and push us towards vendors that BigCommerce perhaps prefers? It is hard to believe we are the only customer that would want Stripe to send CC receipts to customers - their built-in receipt mechanism does not allow a store to include the last 4 digits of the credit card in the receipt the store sends, which means customers have to call in to customer support when they are organizational customers to figure out which CC is used - a very poor experience for our customers and for our customer support team.

Pros

It is highly customizable, has most of the features you'd expect in an e-commerce solution, and the APIs are well-documented.

Cons

* Seemingly easy solutions to known issues get stuck in their support bureaucracy and disappear * Their logging does not allow software engineers nor CSRs to see the specifics of errors - customers must provide client-side stack traces to help them find errors on their backend (for example, API calls that return HTTP status 500)

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

Was chosen before I joined the company.

Rick from DiscountElectronics.com

Industry: Computer Hardware

If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider.

For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros

BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time. PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork. Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional. Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons

Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years. Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

Ecommerce Platform with Great Customer Service

In general, I am very satisfied with the product. It serves its purpose for a reliable and easy to set up ecommerce platform with lowmaintenance cost.

Pros

Although the platform offers a lot of features for an ecommerce business to be able to run daily operations and analyze data, my favourite part by far is the fact that it has a great customer service. Every time when there is an issue with the website or we have questions, we can chat with a representative from Bigcommerce. Their customer service is very reliable and knowledgeable. No waiting on the phone, no back and fort transferring between reps. Technical support is right there for you.

Cons

I wish there were more applications that can be easily integrated. Compared to Shopify, Bigcommerce doesn't offer as vast variety of options.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

Gift Card feature out of the box.

Almost everything you need right out of box to run ecommerce

Overall, it is nice platform that offers all the essentials (even on lowest plan). However, due to sales limitations on each tier, it may not be the best choice for fast growing businesses or those who already have many orders coming in. In the end, we chose to go opensource instead. However, I still see value and time savings with bigcommerce and it is my top 2 choice among non-opensource ecommerce options.

Pros

I like the amount of features that come right out of the box, even on the lowest plan. For example, the amount of option combinations possible for variation listings allows much more than shopify. This is good for products with many configurations or built products that come with many parts. The SEO features in bigcommerce also seem pretty good and you are not stuck with certain meta words that cannot be removed like the seo in shopify. There is a decent developer community as well just in case more functions are needed. However, the majority of what you need comes stock which adds alot of value. The available templates (both stock and ones on the marketplace) are very trendy, professional, and modern looking. Bigcommerce is a good choice for those with little to no coding experience. There may be a slight learning curve, but definitely still beginner friendly in my opinion.

Cons

The developer community may not be as robust as shopify, but this isnt too big of an issue since there are so many tools that are already readily available. I do not like how each plan only comes with a certain amount of allowed sales before it automatically bumps you up to the next plan. I also do not like much the stock templates look alike and how the abandon cart feature is not currently available on the lowest plan.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

Default options and features available out of box

Adam from Buckstaff Public Safety

BigCommerce Review

It works, and we need the software as we couldn't integrate two Shopify stores into our ERP. I hope we can expect BigCommerce to keep adding features because they really do have a lot of catching up to do.

Pros

We stated using BigCommerce as the software behind our new website redesign. We like the ease of setting up the products, product customization and the large pool of experienced companies that design BigCommerce storefronts. It was easy to get setup and our new website was running in about 6 months.

Cons

The order management system they have in place is just not good. You cannot edit orders. Which customers expect us to be able to do. If a customer wants to add an item you can add the item, but you cannot charge the customer for the additional item within BigCommerce software. Same goes with removing items from orders. If you remove an item from an order it does not give you an option to refund the difference. You have to do that outside BigCommerce software. Our website has been live on BigCommerce for about 4 weeks now and we just experienced our fist "outage" in over 5 years. So I am not optimistic about uptime since the site has already gone down once, and it has only been live for 4 weeks. Using BigCommerce it is hard to search for and find orders, even if you have an order number you are redirected to the "advanced search". Instead of being able to type in an order number and find the order you have to type in the number, wait for the advanced search page to load then type in the order number again. Come...on...guys. The same with product search. I can copy and paste a product name directly from our storefront, search in BigCommerce, then I get redirected to another "advanced search" page. Where I have to enter the SAME SEARCH again, then I get results. We are on an "enterprise" plan that in some ways, has less features than a store we run on a "basic" Shopify plan for less than 1/3 the cost. Inventory tracking is also not great.

Daniel from Godaca, LLC

Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store

we have been using bigcommerce for about 2 years in our ecommerce website, we used before woocomerce which requires more programming knowledge and it is more time consuming, since we moved to bigcommerce, we noticed a huge difference in the speed of the website, with bigcommerce and basic knowledge of HTML you can accomplish a lot of goals and modifications of the templates, but if you don't have any website programming knowledge you can still have your decent website, the package that bigcommerce include with their pricing you have enough tools to start runing your business without investing too much time. we save a lot of time with bigcommerce , uploading the products through CSV files and then we can export back all the info from bigcommerce to others marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, we recommend bigcommerce if you don't want to spend too much money but at the same time you would like to have a decent website, we just recommend to bigcommerce add more features to customize the website, like make more dynamic like other competitors can offer like Wix, and also offer more different templates, animations, etc , with more professional look, they haven't updated the templates a long time ago, just basic updates thank you

Pros

-Very reliable -Speed Website -Friendly user -able to sync to 3rd parties app -good pricing -simply to use

Cons

-lack of templates options -lack of options that other competitors have -freedom to personalized the website, most of the stuff is better to use the template -limited on options to add videos or other links options type of fonts styles animations like other competitors

Amir from Fusion Technology Ltd.

Very good and reasonably priced

Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Cons

Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

Great platform to built your own website

Bigcommerce is a good platform to built websites. It offers separate plans with very different features so it allows you to find what works for you.

Pros

Bigcommerce is a great platform for small businesses or businesses in general that do not have a great budget to start developing their e-commerce. We have adopted this solution for a couple of our clients. The main features we have encountered so far are:Very easy to set up and to use. The dashboard is very easy to understand so people with little knowledge on the backend can work with it without difficulties.There are no limits on the products you can list on the online store so it works well for business for multiple skus.When building the online store, you have multiple templates to choose from and many options as different payment getaways in order to personalize your online store.The standard plan is ok and comes with nice features as the giftcard options

Cons

The main con is that the plan prices are slightly higher than similar tools. There are some features that might worth the cost but when considering options check if they might be useful for your business, otherwise a cheaper alternative might be a better option Templates are ok, but just a few ones are for free.

Great E-Commerce Platform for Both B2C and B2B Companies

We have a consistent revenue stream of active customers on our website daily. We are able to process these and ship them within the BigC system. It makes all of our employees' day-to-day processes so much easier.

Pros

Customization, ability to have product variants and options, filtered search on the category pages and search pages.

Cons

Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening. It's often mediated with a day or two but the initial message can be cumbersome.

Rob from Fire Cam Police and Fire Cameras

Big Commerce Review

We realized we needed a larger, more stable platform for our 110,000+ customers and Big C was a perfect fit for our company.

Pros

The Big Commerce platform is very easy to use and set up for your website. Very simple to set up shipping values and even payment systems. There is an app store within the back end that is FULL of additions you can add to your store. We use about 9 apps that range from SEO to live visitors on the website and analytics of where they are from and what pages / products they are looking at. I highly recommend Big Commerce mostly because of the ease of use and the 24/7 customer phone support you receive. Anytime I have had an issue or couldn't figure something out, I called them and they answered the question normally within 5 minutes.

Cons

The only con I have is the price may be a little high compared to other ecommerce platforms, but you get what you pay for and this is the best platform with ZERO down time and best support we have ever had in operating our business for the past 12 years.

Peter from WTI

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it. Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros

Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons

I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me. There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none. Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

Joe from Monroe Systems for Business

Good platform depending on your business needs.

We use Bigcommerce to run our E-commerce business. Overall, we are satisfied with the platform and it gets the job done.

Pros

The layout is fairly easy to navigate and the support team is helpful when we have issues. We went with Bigcommerce because we were having issues with Shopify with the timing and capturing of payments.

Cons

Bigcommerce is very limited in design options when compared to platforms such as Shopify, Wordpress and Magento. I would recommend going with one of them depending on your business needs.

Bianca L. from Care.Club

It's okay.

Pros

We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons

Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

Ron from Cali Fabrics

Some Ups and Downs, but I'm a Loyal User All the Same

I signed up when they were fairly new to the market, and have seen the company change hands, grow, and make changes to the product. It's not been a perfect experience, but I've never really considered changing platforms because of any issues I've had. At the end of the day, BigCommerce lets me run my site without having to think too much about the web-side of things.

Pros

I love the general ease of use on the front end, while having a massive amount of control on the back end. Pricing has gone up over the years, but has always been fair in my opinion. With BigCommerce, I was able to single handedly set up my own online shop, add products, design the site based on their templates, and then stop back and focus on the day-to-day tasks of running a business.

Cons

Their inability to have a robust iPhone app or even a truly useable mobile admin site is inexcusable in 2019. Customer service is usually good, but I've also had some fairly rough experiences.

Pricing, customization options

An excellent hosting e-commerce platform with almost all enterprise features

We have migrated our Magento 1 site to BigCommerce after ongoing frustration with Magento 2.3 extension quality and caching issues. We've achieved a lot in a 2 week period and launched in a month.

Pros

The stability of it is great. The admin UI is very easy to use and intuitive. It has advanced pricing controls and other B2B features. The templates are great and we really saved a lot of time with a customization. If you have strong e-commerce skills in house, I honestly believe you can be live in a month or two. We found ourselves solving lots of problems that we'd normally require a developer for. It's very robust if you can stay on its rails. There are a lot of plug-ins, although some are expensive with monthly subscriptions.

Cons

The standard shipping features are very lacking and basic, and the solution is to use a plug-in. Although a free account with the plug-in is provided, it's inadequate and a subscription ended up costing us hundreds of dollars a month. The shipping system is even inadequate for basic stores. It's also lacking some functionality like product priority within categories, and limits faceted filters to 12 which required us to re-jig a bit of stuff and remove some filters. So the merchandising can be limiting at times. We could also do with native support for SVG images, and a static block CMS. Support is slow and you can be waiting 2 days for a reply. So although it is easy to use, if you do hit a wall, you need to wait a while for support. However, even with these caveats, we still found it to be a better solution to what we were using.

Richelle from Walnut Paperie LLC

Good option for small businesses

Pros

Big Commerce in general is very easy to use. The ecommerce site that we set up looks lovely, and seems to work most of the time. Looks professional and syncs well with paypal to process payment.

Cons

There have been a few times that our site went down for unexplained reasons. Luckily customers have let us know and it was resolved quickly once we reached out to bigcommerce, but it is disconcerting that it went down in the first place. One time all of our products just disappeared. BigCommerce support was able to find them and re-establish all, but still not sure why that happened. This software seems expensive for a small business with a small budget, and then to have issues like this. They did not offer a refund or anything, and we have no way of knowing how long our site was down for.

Gordon from Paradise Valley Leather

Industry: Sporting Goods

BigCommerce is what keeps my business going

BigCommerce keeps my business going and does it easily. I have 1 other person that works with me so any excessive time spent on peripheral tasks cuts into our production significantly. With Bigcommerece I have not had to worry about that at all and get to keep doing what pays the bills.

Pros

As a web based business it is imperative that my website work and as a small business I have to be able to keep it going myself. BigCommerce fits both of those for me. I have set it up and managed it all myself. Some things are easier than others but overall this software is great.

Cons

Although they are constantly adding apps that integrate, there are not as many options as some other companies but they are constantly adding and updating them.

BigCommerce Support can't be beat

BigCommerce support and the platform has been easy to use and I would recommend this over some of the other sites that my client use.

Pros

I have built several eCommerce stores on BigCommerce for my clients and I continue to be impressed with the support that BigCommerce provides. In this day when you very rarely get to talk to a human, it is greatly appreciated. I build sites that the product requires a lot of custom options and the staff is always coming up with ways to help me figure out the best way to build these options.

Cons

There is little not to like. With the new Stencil themes it is not as easy to edit templates for someone like me who is not a developer.

Jannis from Consulting

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

Scalability, smooth set up and great customer support

I use a few different ecommerce solutions as it depends on the business model when determining which platform is best. BigCommerce is a recent addition to my portfolio and I must say that I am impressed thus far. Their customer support and willingness to be creative to solve an obstacle has impressed me. Customer support and the ability to address unique situations is a key feature for an ecommerce platform in my opinion.

Pros

The ease of use and access to assistance when needed. It is not unusual to get the brush off from a large cloud platform when you ask for a solution to an unusual situation. I was pleasantly surprised by the response I got from BigCommerce when this happened. Not only wee they willing to address it, they provided very detailed, walkthrough information to help me handle it myself. I highly recommend BigCommerce on the basis of their superior customer service alone at this point. Most platforms these days provide all of the basic necessary functions. Customer support is where the best rise to the top.

Cons

I wish there were more free templates available or the ability to easily customize/create a template to suit your desires. That said, the free templates provide a good platform for a variety of industries.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

I primarily chose BigCommerce because of the ability to integrate my clients existing merchant account via authorize.net.

Ivan from KommandoStore

A Poor Man's Shopify Plus---Easier to Use/Maintain than Magento But Lagging Behind Shopify

We moved from Magneto Go, to Magento CE, and then to Bigcommerce over the course of several years in business. Moving from Magento, Bigcommerce was an obvious and needed upgrade for us. Our store was more reliable, and significantly easier to manage day to day. A lot of things that had kept me up as a sysadmin were no longer an issue and we saw very little loss in functionality all things considered. We used Bigcommerce for roughly a year and a half, leaving the platform entirely in early 2018 for Shopify Plus. In terms of the software itself, I do not regret this transition at all. If you can afford Plus I would advise you to go for it. The product is more mature than it was even a year ago, and is now a clear industry leader over Bigcommerce, OpenCart, Magento etc.

Pros

Cloud based, more-reliable-than-magento hosting, decent discount rules engine, compatible with most major "Shipping Manager" softwares like Shipstation etc No overly-restrictive terms of use, suitable platform for sellers of "high-risk" items. Better than Magneto in practice for 85% of small to medium businesses.

Cons

Poor optimization for speed, poor user-facing checkout experience, tepid app ecosystem, objectively inferior automation and reporting tools, admin UI is clunky, customization of themes is difficult and costly, new features/product launches are paywalled and often incomplete, didn't stop billing us when we canceled service to switch to Shopify, experienced a glitch which inexplicably hid paid orders... Out of the box Shopify does practically everything better while minimizing the potential for errors during setup, configuration, optimization, and daily use of your store. In almost every metric and use case Shopify dominates Bigcommerce. Bigcommerce is playing catchup, and it's obvious from the back end of the software their team is struggling to stay competitive. While we were on the platform some updates appeared to suffer from "Microsoft syndrome" in that they looked pretty but had minimal depth or practical utility (think 3D paint or the latest version of windows media player). Bigcommerce only comes out ahead in pricing, terms of service, and a few configuration edge cases (which can mostly be solved by Apps in Shopify.)

Small Commerce

BigCommerce has allowed us to have an online store, but the manual processes related to it make the cost of having the site higher than expected. Simple things like a minimum order have to be coded in. If you are a midsize company, you might want to consider another platform.

Pros

Ability to have an online presence cheaply and easily.

Cons

Big Commerce doesn't allow for (and isn't even familiar with) level 3 processing for credit cards. The site also does not have a setting to establish the minimum amount of an order. Editing information about products is cumbersome; unless you are willing to export the entire contents of the site and feel comfortable importing it without problems.

Toby from Wilson Amplifiers

Industry: Consumer Electronics

well rounded eCommerce solution

Pros

BigCommerce is easy to set up and use; provides a lot template to begin with and you can also customize your site. The new releases Stencil theme performs better than the old template but also requires more skills to develop and manage the template. Manage and process order is easy too. Overall a great eCommerce tool for online business. They are also adding features all the time. Support is good too.

Cons

Some feature is lacking or still under development. very limited coupon settings customization and other few customization features but they said they are working on improving those features.

An elegant platform, just lacking some features found elsewhere.

Pros

Beautiful and modern themes allow you to easily make a website that will attract customers into your online store or blog. There are numerous customization options, such as embedding another website's video, photo, blog post, etc. You can customize nearly any aspect of the website, like background, font, color, and the like. Making a store is simple as well, and they only charge a flat fee, so adding additional options is easy and doesn't cost anything extra, which isn't the case with some comparable competitors.

Cons

While the themes themselves are quite customizable, there is a very limited quantity of different themes to choose from in the first place (before you start customizing them), which leads each customization of a specific theme to end up looking and feeling somewhat similar. So, if too many people use a certain theme, it could end up becoming recognizable and seeming like a website version of a "stock photo". Fleshed out websites fully loaded with features and add-ons can be slow to load and have longer response times.

Eric from Raney's Inc

Powers both of our company websites and performs amazingly!

Pros

There are a lot of things to love. Integrating this with Netsuite or Fishbowl ERP's is fairly easy and makes your life much easier. We've been able to maintain our companies on these sites since the very beginning of 4 employees and 1 customers all the way to 70+ employees and more than 1,000 customers. Makes our life very easy and makes growing an e-commerce company much easier.

Cons

Have had growing pains early on since we were one of the first companies it seems to what to integrate Fishbowl but once the initial setup and processes were hashed out most things went smoother.

Caitlin from Katherine Way

Bigcommerce has given our growing business great insight to the e-commerce world.

Pros

Ease of use. This has been useful when training new hires. It is very easy to use. The navigation is very straight forward. When dealing with customers it is very helpful. Webinars are appreciated. We used them frequently when looking into selling on Amazon. Support portal is straight forward when a problem arises.

Cons

I do not like the analytics page. I do not find them effective. I wish they were easier to use and gave you straight forward data on the dashboard. Customizing reports is a challenge as well. This should be easier to use and more intuitive.

Richard from Zounds Hearing

Easy to use, full-featured shopping cart and website builder

Easy to use, all-in-one solution.

Pros

I love that it is an All-In-One solution. It can build your website with shopping cart included is just a few easy steps. Their support is great too if you run into any difficulties. They offer lots of different shipping options, purchasing options (Credit Card, Paypal etc), there is also a big community if you want to do things that are not built in.

Matt from Englin's Fine Footwear

Would switch if I could find something better

Pros

Easy to get up and running. Features are some of the best offered in this class. Pricing doesn't take a cut off of sales.

Cons

Many advanced features lacking or cost extra, like filtered search and navigation. Bugs are fixed and new features are added based on number of requests as opposed to the severity or need of the fix or feature. As a result, some bugs can persist for years if only a few people have reported them. No release notes or detailed info on updates. Overall it seems the company is still run more like a startup as instead of an established company that's accountable to their customers. Seems they focus more on doing things that get them headlines, marketing material, and talking points instead of what most meets their customer's needs. They can be quite tonedeaf when it comes to understanding the way retail works and what the needs of small businesses really are. It's quite a shame as there is a lot of potential. The only reason I stay is because either the better platforms are unaffordable (Magento, Demandware, Netsuite, Miva, etc) or the ones comparable in price lack essential features or have their own problems that I can't workaround (Shopify, Volusion, etc.) So I'm stuck until we grow more. Don't get me wrong, they have improved greatly in the 6 years I've been with them, but they have a long way to go.

Great for getting started.

I have used BigCommerce personally for many years and have never been offline or had any technical issues. I have also set up stores for clients and was happy to see that they could learn to use the system with minimal training.

Pros

Launching a new store on BigCommerce couldn't be easier. They have an onramp that is very smooth. They also have excellent integrations with third-party software like MailChimp.

Brendan from Americaneagle.com

Great SaaS Platform

Great platform with a wealth of features. But you need to make sure you know what is possible if you have any specific logic you are trying to create on the platform.

Pros

The ease of use to setup and implement this eCommerce platform is extremely quick and painless. Being that it is SaaS means that the launch process is as easy as literally flipping a switch.

Cons

Being SaaS you do trade off control for ease of use. When working in the platform, you need to understand there are just things you cannot do.

Veronica from Vappora

Excellent E-Commerce Plattform

I have gotten used to BigCommerce and I like it. It is very easy to manage the store and I am very happy with it. Highly recommended!

Pros

I have been using BigCommerce for 5 years and I am a happy customer. It has plenty of features, customer support has always been very helpful and it is a reliable platform with very few server issues or downtimes.

Cons

There is a little bit of a learning curve that never ends, but I am ok with it. The more you want to implement, the more you need to learn.

Julie from Estes Public Relations

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

I have used BigCommerce to build two ecommerce stores for a client; a consumer site and a wholesale

I learned a lot about selling online and selling through channels. Using this software I was made aware of other types of software as a service products that were useful for my other clients.

Pros

It took me a while to get used to the new management dashboard when BigCommerce upgraded to the new platform, but I am getting to know my way around. I like the integration to manage various channels through the dashboard. The reports are very informational to keep up on sales.

Cons

The coupon or discount codes are sometimes hard to configure based on the type of offer you would like to do. It would be nice to be able to set a time of day for an offer to expire. My client's customer had a customer ID. It would be nice if you could add a customer ID to match your offline accounting and shipping software . A lot of features my customer would like would require an developer.

Billy from Pupfish Design

Excellent Store Management Plumbing and Partner Alliances

Big Commerce has built a fabulous eCommerce engine that integrates with many important providers of inventory, POS, shipping, tax calculation, etc. They offer all this at a reasonable fee. Their Achilles Heel is their website builder and they know it. The current WordPress headless play is probably a wise interim step... but LAMP is getting long in the tooth... Plan B.2?

Pros

Big Commerce have done an excellent job of identifying and integrating the components necessary for a very robust large scale online store. It is wrapped in a very inflexible templated front end that requires programming to break out of. They clearly recognized this shortcoming and have deftly pivoted to a headless model that tosses the client-side rendering to... WordPress.

Cons

The theming/template/programming model of native BigCommerce is an investment. It is a specialty that does not feel like a career investment, rather it is a commitment to be a Big Commerce partner/developer. I suppose that with a pool of large clients this might seem monetarily attractive, at the end of the pool with smaller clients and smaller jobs, customization work required will often exceed their needs or desires and even at the small business end of things, e-commerce websites have become content marketing tools as well as storefronts. The out of box BigCommerce sites just don't accommodate the rapid transformation required. A free WordPress plugin for headless BigCommerce machinery under the hood certainly addresses this... for now, but I see incredible advances in the flexibility and programming model of Wix. If (when?) they get that to scale to faster performance on larger datasets... look out World...

David from Abacus Web Services

Ideal solition for a dedicated solution.

Over multiple stores, we have always managed to achieve what the client needs. The stores are robust and the pricing is reasonable. BigCommerce is a very dynamic company and I enjoying watching their progress.

Pros

BigCommerce is a dedicated ecommerce platform and is thus very suited for any store from simple to sophisticated. The system has an abundance of features and a growing number of apps (plugins) that are available to increase the funtionality. Support is excellent and you can actually call them up and find a very helpful and knowledgable person at the other end.

Cons

Lots to love but because it is a hosted platform (by BigCommerce) there are some limitations on which parts of the code you can get access to. The flip side of this is that BigCommerce take care more/most of the behind the scenes work.

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

Feature, price and support performance.

Stacy from The Rag Company

Very User Friendly Shopping Cart Application

Ease of use, efficient product maintenance, etc.

Pros

I love the fact that most of the coding has been done for the user. The program is so user friendly, that anyone could easily have a website up and running within a day or so.

Cons

Bigcommerce has a great shipping set up for individual products. I would like to see their developers provide an "in-house" dim-weight shipping solution. This would give them a huge advantage over their competitors.

Stuart from Treat Your Skin Ltd.

SaaS shopping cart made easy

Pros

Easy to use and has some great functionality.

Cons

As always with SaaS platforms there's always a feeling of features missing, slow progress to make changes, dealing with bugs and being told that you need to turn off apps that maybe causing a conflict (but you can't do so without uninstalling and reinstalling) and general banging your head against the brick wall because the core product is slow to see improvement.

Samin from Education

Industry: Computer Games

Bigcommerce Review

My overall experience with Bigcommerce is undoubtedly excellent. It would have been better if they considered to lower the price of this mesmerising software.

Pros

I loved the fact that I could easily build my site the way I want without coding a single line. It's easy for beginners to start designing your first e-commerce site even if you don't know how to build sites

Cons

I worst thing about this is I think it's overpriced. For the price it doesn't have that much features. The overall value doesn't match with the pricing

Reasons for Choosing Bigcommerce

I choose Bigcommerce to try it out and I was hoping for more because the pricing seemed expensive. But still it's a pretty good software to work with but I don't think most people starting out can afford this.

Michael from Puffs LLC

INCREDIBLE E-Commerce Platform... will NEVER use another!!!

Seamless. Minimal effort. When I need service, its there. Most times I can figure out everything I need using their online documentation and forums.

Pros

Simple and easy to use, but its Big Commerce's customer service that earns them the crown of King of E-Commerce platforms.

Cons

Not really a BAD thing, but they are always adding features that usually are of no use to me..... but hey, they work well for SOMEONE.

Ayub from Vistabit LLC

Bigcommerce growing rapidly as CMS

Overall as a developer i have been using this product from almost a year & found this product quite friendly even in setting up & in customizing it.

Pros

I have been customizing this product for my customers regularly & much familiar with underlying APIs & design. I found this product very helpful for someone who wants to grow business online. Here's the list of pros i observe from that product. Store management is very easy. Shipping handling is also quite easy. Its Secure Its give live support 24/7 All in one solution Its easy to customize API guide is too easy

Cons

Few of the cons i found if not there this product will grow more rapidly. Its limited theme library Its Lillie expensive for newbie

Jami from Fire Cam LLC

Great website

Great website. Nice looking templates and good with product variations.

Pros

Many choices for templates. Customer Service is great. Pretty user friendly. Cost is based on transactions. Great integrations with many programs.

Cons

It is a bit costly, but the features outweigh the cost. The integrations make set up easy for any user.

MARCELLA from Sedalia Designs

Love the shopping cart

Pros

I like the ease of use and the 24/7 customer service.

Cons

I think it is expensive for what you get. Also when I purchased it I was told that the tech team would understand that I needed assistance hooking up my affiliate panel to the system. They had no idea what I was talking about and I had to figure it out myself, which meant I paid for the system way before I could use it.

Cheryl from Champagne Spas

Easy to use, does everything I need it to

It helps us to manage our website and business

Pros

I have worked with BigCommerce with 2 different companies and they are by far the best and easiest way to maintain your website. The ability to monitor sales and inventory is so very useful on a day to day basis that I wouldn't use anything else. And any changes made to our listings is an immediate change. What a great way to manage our site!!

Cons

Honestly, I haven't found anything that I dislike about it. There are always ways to improve but for what we're using it for, I love it.