• Pros

• "Privvy was so easy to set up, add to our website and connect to mail chimp. "

• "- Like that it integrates with Shopify and Mailchimp - I like that I can set triggers for when it pops up and easily design new campaigns to test them"

• "This is a simple app to install on Shopify Plus, and helped my business grow our email subscriber list. "

• Cons

• "Wish there were more customization options, like fonts or a way to use your own fonts. Otherwise it's great!"

• "I love everything about it, it’s hard to think of a con. "

• "The integration with my ESP has been dodgy a couple times, but that could be on the other end, not Privy's."

Browse Privy Reviews

Danielle from Vikki Vi Boutique/PlusbyDesign.com

We use privy to collect email addresses online.

Pros

I like the integration with Shopify and MailChimp. This makes address collection pretty easy. There is more functionality that we haven't utilized.

Cons

I had a bad experience recently when I tried to find out the URL that my sign-ups were coming from.

Response from Privy

Replied April 2018

Hey Danielle - thanks for the review! I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you had trying to find out what URLs your signups were coming from. I'll shoot you a separate email to help you with that. Josh from Privy

Helped Our Company Immensely

It’s been great. They advertise list growth, and that’s what they do. Our list has grown tremendously since choosing Privy!

Pros

We use Privy for the pop up form that feeds to a list of contacts in Mailchimp. My favorite thing about Privy? It works. We have made so much money from the pop up coupon!

Cons

As your company grows, so does your bill. They bill on page views, which is fine. They’ve gotta make money somewhere.

Response from Privy

Replied November 2019

Thanks for the review and love seeing your success!

Greg from Cowboys and Astronauts

BEWARE: MAJOR DE-DUPLICATION BUG

They seem like good people but their functionality is not ready for prime time and they have been sitting on this major bug for MONTHS and not telling their customers.

Pros

It's really too bad that I can't give the a higher rating as I'd love to. I really like the app and the customer service and easy integration. BUT...they have one giant Achilles Heel.

Cons

Their system allows for the same email address with different title cases to create duplicate records (e.g., person@email.com and Person@Email.com will create SEPARATE contacts) so you end up sending multiples to people all the time. You have to deduplicate your lists MANUALLY! The worst part is that they have known about this issue for months and have still not fixed it. De-duplication is the most fundamental feature of any email marketing program...it's staggering to me that they have let this go on for so long with no fix and have not even communicated the issue to their customers. Ask them about it before you sign up! Even better...test it an you'll see it happen.

Channel from Coco Nell LLC

Really Easy to use

Overall it's great and it's really helped me to grow my email lists

Pros

It's one of the easier email marketing tools to use and it has some of the best functionality

Cons

I do wish they had more options for creating upsell emails

Reasons for Choosing Privy

Privy had more functionality than mailchimp and privy was compatible with shopify

Response from Privy

Replied October 2019

Thanks for the review and for being a customer!

Ciprian from 4Property

Good user feedback tool but restricted

Pros

A good user feedback tool with lots of options pertaining to user targeting, user funneling, timing events, actions and page behaviour.

Cons

A good user feedback tool but restricted in that all user interactions require an email field.

John from Musictoday

Great for on-site Email Acquisition

Privy has tripled our on-site email acquisition. It is really customizable and gives a great user experience (for both the customer and store). Customer support has been great

Pros

Easy to use interface Drastically and quickly improves email acquisition & conversion Helpful support team Integrations with Shopify

Cons

Some of the web exclusions can get confusing Not as plug & play for ecomm platforms other than Shopify Occasional features don't work as expected (pop ups show up immediately versus time spent or % scrolled).

Reasons for Choosing Privy

Fit our needs and the pricing model worked for us. The value of Privy is shown within the first few days of starting campaigns.

Response from Privy

Replied August 2019

Thanks for the review and for bing a customer John!

Maya from PA LLC

Excellent Product!

Privy's List Growth and Email Tool is a great tool to have for e-commerce businesses. It is designed well and has allowed me to grow my customer email list!

Pros

I love Privy's List Growth and Email Tool. I was able to customize everything about it to make the pop-up appear matching to my website. It has allowed me to grow my email list!

Cons

There was nothing that I disliked about Privy's List Growth and Email Tool..It always functions well and is designed well

Response from Privy

Replied November 2019

Fernando J from Priority Management

Finally, a website visitor conversion tool that really works!

Pros

Creating a site conversion campaign has never been so easy! Privy takes you by the hand and guides you through the setup process in a very friendly way. You can definitely creat a campaign in minutes. Integrating the tool into your website is really easy, so easy you don't actually need to be an expert. Changing, updating or inactivating a campaign is also very easy. In the dashboard, you can see how your campaigns are doing in just a glance. Although the free subscription is limited, it offers great features for startups, like unlimited campaigns and signups, which is actually the main reason to use a tool like Privy. Integration with email service providers is also available in the free plan, and the process is very easy. The Customer Support is trully great. Privy shows to be compromised to deliver the best experience at every level of the process.

Brittany from Safe Home Pro, Inc.

Captures Attention

Great for building an email list and getting sales to go through on your site because of coupon offerings!

Pros

This is a great tool for capturing your customer's attention before they're about to leave your Shopify store. I've had this setup on my online store for about 2 years now. I find people are usually pretty inclined to submitting their email anywhere if it means getting a discount coupon. So obviously this tactic works well. I definitely think anyone needs this tool if they have an online store It's very customizable to your needs and design. And it's great for analytics. Very user-friendly and easy to setup with Shopify, like most add-ons.

Cons

I mean it's a pretty straight forward software. Maybe more catered to smaller businesses rather than large companies.

Amber from JaJa-JoJe

Good for Marketing

Pros

Great for store site popups, with tones of features and designs.

Cons

Free version has a logo on popup and not all features are free.

Response from Privy

Replied August 2019

Thanks for the review and for using Privy!

Kristina from MoCo Countryside Alliance

It works and then there is the confetti

Better conversion rate on email signups, flexible design and scheduling of popups - confetti when users sign up.

Pros

This is a good freemium platform for making email signups on your website happen in an attractive way. It has surely led to more conversions for us. For free software it has great features and lots of options, we've all been on the site with too many annoying popups. You can choose that route here or dial back and customize it to the look of your site. The very very best thing is you can make confetti swirl on the user's screen when they sign up. Its magical.

Cons

No complaints. If I want to do more with pop-ups than email sign-ups I will look into the more advanced features.

Response from Privy

Replied June 2018

Thanks Kristina! Glad you love Privy!

Elizabeth from Madison Grace Clothing

It's been a great addition!

Perfect for email sign up!

Pros

Every website should have pop ups either for subscribing to e-mail list or announcing sales and promotions. Privy has been a great addition to my website, super easy to use and set up. Highly recommend!

Cons

Response from Privy

Replied March 2018

Thanks Elizabeth! Glad to hear you're loving Privy. There are actually a bunch of font options available and if you're on our commerce plan or higher you can install custom fonts.

Can't say enough about this company and its CEO. The tool is awesome, powerful and simple to use.

Pros

I love that the popups are so fully customizable. I didn't get that with Hellobar and alternatives. I love that the company is transparent. I've seen the CEO on chat so many times and he is awesomely helpful!

Kelly from ZigZev

Didn't work well for me

This software did not work out well for me at all and I would not recommend it to others

Pros

It is easy to use like most products out there. I thought it was going to be a good idea at first and the interface is easy to use. Maybe it works better for those in industries other than mine but I found it mediocre.

Cons

The pop ups were starting to annoy my customers coming in to the site so I took the popup feature down. I felt it was actually hindering my small business website's growth. I gave it 1 star for Value due to the fact that it was deterring customers.

Response from Privy

Replied January 2018

Hey Kelly, Thanks for the feedback and for trying Privy. It appears that you're using another pop up provider now, so i hope it works better for you. In taking a quick peek at your account, it looks like in your free plan you could have adjusted down the frequency of the pop up to once or once a week and maybe made some other tweaks to make it more effective. Probably worth trying on your current set up as well to not annoy frequent visitors. Best of luck! Josh from Privy

Awesome Tool for Growing Your Email List

Overall, Privy has helped me grow my email list and so I am happy with this software.

Pros

I like the spin the wheel and gamified lead-opt in options. Privy sends me an updated email everyday on the status of my campaigns. I like the personal update. It is also easy to install on your website and to customize the forms and campaigns.

Cons

I wish there was a little bit more aesthetically pleasing default templates for the lead opt-in. More variety in font options would be great too.

Response from Privy

Replied April 2019

Tracey from Dreaming Tree Designs

Great addition to any website

Privvy has changed so much for our mail chimp email newsletter list. It’s so nice that customers can easily see a pop up when they visit the site and sign up right then and there.

Pros

Privvy was so easy to set up, add to our website and connect to mail chimp.

Cons

I love everything about it, it’s hard to think of a con.

Perfect For Getting New Email Subscribers

Excellent, very happy with this software.

Pros

Cons

There is nothing to dislike, I'm a fan of it and have installed it on all of my Shopify sites.

Response from Privy

Replied March 2019

Thanks for the review and choosing Privy!

Daniel from Mother Erth

Flexible and easy

Pros

Cons

THere are no cons that I can think of. We have a pretty simple use case on our website and it does the job.

After using multiple different list growth tools... Privy is finally the one I've settled on.

Over 3000 emails captured in just under a month and optimized the most effective way to do this because of their reporting system and AB testing.

Pros

Great features cover all scenarios you want to test and use for acquring emails. The dashboard and reporting is great too. Very feature heavy, I don't even use most of the features they offer.

Cons

A little pricey when you don't really need to use some of the features they offer. Also would like the ability to better organize the campaigns in date order.

Response from Privy

Replied December 2017

Thanks for the review!

These Pop-ups Make Some Money!

Pros

I like this software because it works and makes sales. If you set it up to match your website and branding, it can seriously convert potential sales into real ones.

Cons

I feel like they purposely make the trial difficult to operate so you have to upgrade your account to the next level. Also, this system does overlap sometimes with the way your email client will run if you are just using it for Abandoned Cart popups.

Brandon from Pulse Of Prophets

Fantastic Software with instant results!

We went from 1-2 signups a month to about 10 a day almost instantly with Privy's products that integrate seamlessly with our Shopify

Pros

Ease of use, instant results we get, and the price is great! Integrates perfectly with Shopfiy

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Brionne from Capital One

Cool Tool, Way too Spendy

Pros

This tool is pretty easy to learn and the sleek interface makes it easy to find the tools you are looking for, whether it's options to customize your pop-up, connecting your MailChimp account, etc.

Cons

It's way too expensive. Competitors offer the same features for a fraction of the price. I also like that it doesn't automatically update your email list, you have to manually export contacts from Privy to MailChimp. Maybe it does it automatically if you upgrade your account.

Response from Privy

Replied October 2018

Hey Brionne, Thanks for your review on Capterra! Glad to hear that for the most part you are enjoying Privy. In terms of syncing your new subscribers over to Mailchimp, you can do that automatically on any of our plans. Just go to the automation step of any of your display campaigns, select Mailchimp and then choose which list you want it to sync to in your MC account. https://help.privy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009564293-Syncing-Your-Privy-Contacts-To-MailChimp Hope that helps! Josh

Jenna from Pauley Productions

Integrates with Shopify

Pros

Setup was a snap with Shopify and MailChimp. Used the spin to win game to collect lots of email addresses and give customers something fun

Cons

Steep price upgrade to get to some really useful features. It would be hard as a small business to justify the expense. Doesn't work with Google Tag Manager on the free plan

Oral from MiniFabrikam

My Privy Review

I used Privy for a long time, till the Google announces its pop-up policy.

Pros

All the basic functionalities come free. Privy is one of the must-have tools for a start-up. It provides fun and easy way to collect emails from your website visitors.

Cons

Most of its tools are the pop-up type. This cause misunderstanding in Google algorithms. As a result of this, your website's Google search rankings could be decreased.

Response from Privy

Replied October 2018

Hi Oral! Thanks for the great review. We really appreciate it. You mentioned the Google mobile pop up penalty in your review so I wanted to share a video we did recently about how to easily use Privy while avoiding any penalties. Enjoy! https://www.privy.com/blog/how-to-comply-with-googles-mobile-pop-up-rules

Pamela from Lyra Sekmet productions Inc

I like this pop up the best

Pros

This looks pretty and I especially like the confetti that falls on the screen after someone subscribes to my mailing list. It was easy to install and control. Works on mobile and desktop. Since installing I'm getting MANY more subscribers to my list.

Cons

There was a learning curve to set it up - but not much. I had to figure out how to only put it on certain pages and not my entire site which would be annoying.

Robin from Novelist

Great Program to Grow your List!

So easy to use. Drag & drop feature is great. Love being able to test all my campaigns with a/b sending. Easy integration, even for those not tech-savy.

Pros

EASY to use. Setup was seamless and almost did it itself. Quick. Ability to customize to fit your needs.

Cons

Having to pay for it? Seriously, I've been using this software for about 6 months and haven't had a problem that HELP couldn't solve almost instantly for me.

Response from Privy

Replied February 2018

Thanks for the review Robin!

Charles from Omigod, Dibs!

Love this app. Very useful.

Pros

Like to be able to alert potential customers with deals in store and sign-ups to gather customer details for customer contact and future sales.

Cons

To date, no real cons for us. This app is very easy to use, has what we need for the time being and works well in getting customer's attention and information we use for sales.

Response from Privy

Replied June 2018

Thanks for the review Charles, glad you love it so far!

App integrates with Shopify

It's been very easy to use in the set up phase. Hopefully I will find value when I start the paid service.

Pros

So easy to add this app to my shopify store to start growing and harnessing the power of my email list and 1st party audience. Free trial gives you time to set up and test.

Cons

All these additional apps start to add up over time and you don't realize it when you're setting them up. It's easier to have one solution that covers everything but cannot afford that in the early days.

We LOVE Privy!

Pros

Privy has helped us increase our email subscribers to our weekly newsletter by 270%!!! We love privy and will absolutely continue to keep it on our website.

Cons

Nothing -- we love Privy, both the free version and the paid version are both wonderful.

Response from Privy

Replied March 2019

Thanks for the review and for choosing Privy!

Abigail from E.D.G. & Atelier

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Free Simple Lead Generation Software

While searching for free landing pages, I stumbled upon Privy. I signup for the free plan because of it's integration with Mailchimp and Sendinblue. My goal was to create a landing page for an email course. The landing page design was easy but my first problem came in the form of the field options. Privy's free plan is similar to ONTRApages in the sense that the free plan only allows you to ask for the visitor's email. To get the visitors name or any other detail I had to upgrade. The only way to work around this without spending a dime was to connect privy to MailChimp and use Zapier to connect MailChimp to Hubspot CRM and Hubspot CRM to Clearbit using Zapier. This wouldn't work because MailChimp's free plan didn't allow automation and while Sendinblue had great automation, there is no Sendinblue-Hubspot CRM Zap. While Privy is a great free lead generation software, the free version would only be useful if the only field you need in your popups and landing page is the email field. Other than that, it plays nice with various email providers. I ended up playing with a bit of code and used Sendinblue's signup/subscription form to create a simple landing page, similar to MailChimp's signup form.

Allison from Children's Advocacy Center

Great pop-up tool for email signups

Pros

Easy to get started with first time email sign ups and syncs with my MailChimp lists automatically.

Cons

The website can be difficult to navigate sometimes when trying to find settings to customize my pop-up with.

Privy

Over all we have had a great experience with the Privy software. Highly recommend to anyone in real estate or wholesaling. You NEED this software!

Pros

Surpasses any other software we have ever had. Its easy to use, the properties even by general area are accurate and up to date and provides excellent detail and comparisons to other properties.

Cons

Although the price can be a little intimidating, once you have it you'll find it's worth so much more then what your actually paying. Although I do wish they would return emails or questions in a more timely manner

Julian from Compac Industries, Inc.

Beautiful Popups and Lead Collection

Pros

Privy has a very easy to use setup and integrates seamlessly with Shopify. The popups look very good, and design is completely customizable. Many of the settings can be edited even with the free plan. This app can also integrate with MailChimp and other email marketing clients.

Cons

You must upgrade to remove Privy branding but that is totally understandable. Other than that, not really a downside I could find!

Luca

Avoid PRIVY, Design is bad

Pros

Few extra features, great support team---NO OTHER PROS -

Cons

Price is too high, software doesnt work well, design is garbage. Support stalled and billed me for the entire month when they said they would setup the pop ups for us.

Decent

Privy was helpful in being able to create notifications for people visiting our site.

Pros

Lots of features if you get the paid content. Can help with retaining website views and get people to know about current campaigns. Email sign ups

Cons

The basic features are fairly limited. Templates were poorly designed for our taste, clunky to update to something that matched our website.

Best free pop up email capture

Pros

Definitely the best free email capture out there

Cons

Paid version is expensive and a bit hard to learn

KIMBERLY from Beautiful Photo Props

Industry: Photography

Happy until they started charging for what was once free :(

Pros

Everything works great and there are plenty of awesome features.

Cons

They began charging for what was once free, bummer.

Rey from Fat Rich Wild

Great solution for pop-ups

Pros

We loved how easy it was to collect email addresses and make attractive pop ups that matched our site design.

Cons

It’s hard to complain about it! There’s not much to dislike.

Tanzir from Pathao

Beautiful designs.

The beautiful design and easy setup makes it a desirable product.

Pros

The popup templates are quite beautiful and they look just as good with custom images and text. They're customizable and the Privy interface is quite user-friendly and sophisticated.

Cons

Privvy would be a more compelling product if it had more features, i.e. met other needs as well, beyond popups.