Browse MimeCast Email Security Reviews

David from Broad and Cassel

Industry: Law Practice

Great product that just works as expected. Easy to use and manage.

Email protection

Pros

Mimecast is a great product overall and just works as expected. Because it is a SaaS offering, setup and config is quick and easy and the overall reliability has been everything we expected it to be. Mimecast has also continued to innovate and introduce new offerings to enhance our overall security which is key to staying ahead of the curve from our perspective.

Cons

The only con I have with Mimecast is that the administrative console is not the easiest to navigate and is often slow. While the end user facing components are easy to use and do not require much training, the admin portal seems designed by engineers with less end-user perspective. It is also much slower to navigate than other websites.

Peter from Twinstate Technologies

Robust and easy

Overall, they have been easy to work with and have a robust solution. The rep we have is responsive and always helpful, which is nice. Support is generally good, though recent years have shown that its getting worse.

Pros

The level of granularity in policy creation while still being robust and easy to use.

Cons

Troubleshooting, although easier than some software, can be difficult to do via tracking. We've tried chasing down messages that triggered a policy despite being exempt, only to find it was some nuance of how that one policy worked.

Reasons for Choosing MimeCast Email Security

MSP friendliness is big here - the others were difficult to work with. Effectiveness of product was also a major factor.

Reasons for Switching to MimeCast Email Security

Sophos Reflection was a terrible product overall - everything from how it worked to support.

Mimecast Success

Pros

The phishing and spoofing tools have been the most helpful

Cons

It takes some work to get it up and running.

Lindsey from Bricker & Eckler LLP

Mimecast....it could be better

I'd like to point out that I am approaching this review from a user standpoint. I want to make it clear that I am not part of my company's IT team, and I am aware that this program has contributed to cleaning up our email server and preventing potentially dangerous/harmful emails from entering our network. As a user, I see somethings that could be fixed, but I know that it is overall doing it's intended job which is good enough for now.

Pros

As a user of this software, I like that I can retrieve ANY of my past emails, even if they have been deleted. It gives me peace of mind that nothing is permanent, and I can keep my inbox organized with minimal emails, knowing that I can access anything at any point. I also appreciate the Mimecast app - I don't have to keep my email on my phone and receive constant updates about what is happening while I am outside of the office. I can log into the Mimecast app at my leisure and see everything that is going on.

Cons

I just think it is clunky. It is slow, it doesn't always work, and it sometimes disappears from my computer. Seriously - I've had to download and redownload multiple times (with the help of my IT department). I am unsure if that is because of the software itself or because of it's relationship with Outlook and Citrix, but there are definitely some bugs to smooth out. I also think that the search function is not as easy to use as most search functions. It takes a lot of filtering and keyword searching to find what I am looking for, and sometimes it is an impossible job.

Brian from AMS

Mimecast has really improved our spam situation and reduced the amount of time we need to deal with

We have had great success with Mimecast. Our user base has really taken to the product, so much so that a few wondered what had happened to all of their spam!

Pros

Mimecast is very good at catching spam before it hits a user's inbox. It also has great features like attachment sandboxing which are eye opening.

Cons

Mimecast can be daunting to get set up initially; there are many different configuration screens which all work together. Configuring policies can be confusing, but support is quite capable and you should make use of that resource as you get things up and running.

Reasons for Choosing MimeCast Email Security

We felt that the features were better, as well as the online reviews.

Reasons for Switching to MimeCast Email Security

CanIt was really falling behind on features and functionality. We only truly realized just how far it had dropped after we switched to Mimecast and saw what good spam scanning was like.

Samantha from McMahan, Thomson & Associates, PC

Does the job

This is a great overall product and I would certainly recommend it.

Pros

I like that it not only scans and detects malicious/junk emails, it also protects users from links that they click on - scanning the web page before it opens.

Cons

I don't like the portal that the junk emails go to. It is not that user friendly but thankfully I don't need to login to it all that often. Emails do take longer to receive by having this security but it is well worth it.

Reasons for Switching to MimeCast Email Security

Change in IT provider. Happy with the switch.

Masturah from Celcom Axiata Berhad

Protect email with MimeCast

MimeCast Email security provide some security regarding my email protection, but not total protection.

Pros

I have use this software as additional to protect and secure my email in the Microsoft Office 365. It is quite easy to use and i can setting it up independently by following the guides that are provided. It has protection over malicious email or spam email and block it from my main email inbox.

Cons

Even-tho there are filters for spam emails, the detection rate is not really the best as i still can see some of the spam email manage to be delivered to my main inbox. The email body and the title scream spam email, but unfortunately it can be detected by the filter is bothering me.

Jon from 3form

Industry: Plastics

Mimecast keeps us protected

Mimecast has give the IT Department peace of mind and great strengthened our security posture.

Pros

Mimecast has nearly eliminated phishing attacks and malware via email at our company. It has also greatly reduced spam while still allowing users to catch any false positives and get the emails they need without submitting a ticket.

Cons

It was difficult to train users to read through the daily digest, and when some users Blocked certain senders, they didn't realize the wouldn't be able to easily receive future emails from those companies, causing frustrations

Manny from LLS

Great email Security software

Mimecast can be made more user-friendly and there could always be more improvements made.

Pros

Ideal for monitoring emails and very simple setup for retrieve old emails. Integrates easily with O365 and user's can simply access their emails at anytime.

Cons

The software every now and then with some user's has ongoing errors with client credentials when passwords are reset, annoying some users.

Usability

Pros

The software is easy to use and integrates well into office365. The email filtering stops majority of spam

Cons

The features are sometimes limited when on a mobile device and does not seem to filter back through archives quickly compared to on a PC

Cymry from Zbinden & Curtis

Industry: Law Practice

Daily use of this product is easy with lots of tools, resources and options, but we felt lied to.

It makes sending encrypted emails easy and the recipient a reasonably easy way of getting into the information.

Pros

I love that there is a knowledge center with all kinds of information about how to build and use the system in the way that's right for you. I love that there are tons of classes and webinars not only about how to use this product, but how the product came improve your over all company. Despite the cons listed below, we've enjoyed our daily experience with the service and I think its a reasonable alternative and provides the majority of the services as expected. I think my favorite thing about this service is how much I can figure out how to do on my own, rather then calling and waiting on hold while someone remotes in and figures it out for me.

Cons

When we purchases this product, we explained many times exactly how we wanted it to work and what our firm's needs were. After too many long customer service calls we discovered that the way we wanted the software to work just wasn't what it was designed for. Whats more, apparently its not what anything in the industry is designed to do. Needless to say, we were very frustrated we'd done all this work to transfer us over to using Mimecast for our email security. I felt like if they'd just told us we were wanting the impossible, we would of reformatted our search and very likely still gone with Mimecast, but would of had realistic expectations.

Jim from SWITCHCRAFT INC

MimeCast - a must have for email security

it has save us time and time again from attacks and CEO fraud and impersonation attempts

Pros

Mimecast is great platform for email security including sandboxing of attachments, spam filtering, archiving, email link writing secure email delivery and great support team. Mimecast is much better than any on site appliances

Cons

Always with is would cost less but compared to proof point, it the way to go.

E-mail Security and Filtering

Increase productivity (less junk mail flowing through without proper checks and balances in place) amongst the workforce, organized e-mail flow (many of our employees work directly out of their e-mail and it is important to keep it as filtered as possible) and overall security - many, many viruses and malware and phishing attacks come via e-mail and Mimecast helps to thwart these!

Pros

We enjoy how it will hold all e-mails that don't meet the criteria to go directly to an inbox in a separate folder and send a summary e-mail each day. Our users have the ability to "permit" "release" or "block" these e-mails which is excellent. It eliminates junk e-mails (potentially) during the day, with the worst case scenario being missing an e-mail for an entire day (has only happened a few times).

Cons

Missing a key e-mail because it gets held up in the filtering is troublesome, however, need to simply work to refine filtering criteria to ensure it doesn't repeat

Nick from Mintz

Excellent Email Security

Our overall experience has been pretty positive. This has cut down significantly on the amount of spam coming into our organization. The ability to create bypasses for the existing policies and rules is a huge plus.

Pros

Product is easy to administer once you have all the policies and profile groups setup correctly. Adding a new domain/email address to a bypass is done in text and can be done via browser on computer, mobile phone, etc., making administration very easy during the day and on the go.

Cons

They are constantly moving services around to different menus and combining features. If you are used to things being in a certain spot and using muscle memory, this can be confusing. Also, if you have internal documentation about how things are done, this requires checking and updating often.

Mimecast Anti Spam

Overall very happy with the reduction in junk emails we have seen since starting Mimecast. The options to tailor the settings to filter more or less of certain types of emails has been really helpful. We have also seen a huge decrease in account compromises because the emails just aren't getting through and do not give our users a chance to make mistake, So helpful!

Pros

Mimecast does a much better job screening the spam email then we got from simply using the built in Microsoft spam filters offered by Office 365 for Outlook. We have anti-virus that supposedly helps prevent spam email as well but since we have started using Mimecast we get virtually zero junk emails in our inboxes which is nice.

Cons

The only real complaints I have about Mimecast is the way it sends you emails and asks whether you want to release, block or permit the email that has been placed on hold. This has caused some of our users difficulty and even some of them have reported these emails as spam to us. It is a simple enough process but for some reason our users either don't read them and understand the email or they see it as junk and just ignore them.

Janet from MMBB Financial Services

Mimecast Keeps Company Email/Data Secure

The Mimecast Secure Email Gateway has provided us with trust and reliability when looking for a better way to manage our critical information in a more secure way. I trust that Mimecast will continue to do great things for our company. If I could put into better words, I would say that this company is totally worth the investment. I see great changes within my organization since it was launched here. We should to get so many emails that would attempt to get private information through false links. But it has seen been much improved with Mimecast. It has taken the guess out of what is real and what is fake.

Pros

I like that Mimecast has features that protect the integrity of our financial email. It's cyber security features are pretty resilient and effective as we aim to strengthen our cyber security measures. My company has just implemented this into our email systems and so far we have seen a change in the level of spam, spyware, malware and other hacking devices. I think we made a great choice going with Mimecast as it is a terrific company if you are looking for email management.

Cons

The only thing I do not like but am getting used to is the holding of email until it pushes to outlook. I guess this is protocol to verify outside email but it can be quite annoying as I noticed that some email is held until the end of the work day. I did however, learn that I could go into one of the Mimecast tabs in outlook to find emails that are on hold. No big deal.

Jeffrey from Trade Associates Group

Industry: Wholesale

Best Email Filtering we have found after using the other big names ones

Freed up ALL IT resources for email filtering and monitoring. Rarely have to touch this product.

Pros

It stops 99.9% of the garbage and not just the obvious. The Phone plug in is easier to use then Apples mail and you can see all the email in it, crazy fast too. The Desktop app workk great with outlook, empowers the users and stops call to IT. Setup was easy and support gave us all the best practices to use.

Cons

The setup can be a bit tough BUT their support will walk you thru any and all issues. Wish there was more SSO options as we have users who would like most software handed to them completely configured and ready to us(no registering).

JASON from Igus

Industry: Plastics

It works, Keep junk mail out

This stopped us from getting hacked! Good program, works as it should.

Pros

This is a good program. It really does keep junk and malicious mail out of your inbox. I liked the daily updates on what it caught so I could easily add senders to my approved or blocked lists.

Cons

Really none. It could be too sensitive at times but that was resolved with little headache by just approving the sender. However, if you were waiting for a reply and had to go and check Mimecast it could be annoying.

Lindsey from Bricker & Eckler LLP

Pretty good software!

I have had a great experience with this software. If they could update their app to be more user friendly, I think they would be unstoppable!

Pros

It always functions as promised. Every software can glitch from time to time, but rarely do I run into major technical issues with this software.

Cons

Every once in a while it will hold back emails that I have definitely allowed to come into my inbox, and the app is pretty clunky, but it functions well most of the time which in the end is all that matters.

Connor from Solution Consultants ICT LTD

Mimecast is a high quality e-mail security service although a bit pricey

It's just a top notch product, as I said the price is quite high when you look at the competitors however I guarantee you that the support and functionality won't be as good as MimeCasts.

Pros

The functionality of the software is amazing, no matter what your setup or need is I'm sure that MimeCast will be able to accommodate you. The customer support has been amazing, every time I have contacted them they've resolved the issue in a thorough and quick manner.

Cons

The price, it's a high price compared to some of it's competitors however I do firmly believe you're getting what you pay for. I haven't regretted my purchase of the software at all.

Works well most of the time

I would say this is a good solution, but a work in progress nonetheless.

Pros

Ease of use - mimecast makes it super easy to deal with all the annoying spam, and other unwanted messages.

Cons

It has been known to "eat" an occasional good-willed email from someone not currently in my network. Also, emails from services where you wish to reset your password can take a day or more to appear in your MimeCast folder.

Has saved me from many embarrasing phishing scams!

Pros

We have had Mimecast installed on our computers at work since I began working here. There has not yet been one phishing scam (other than internal tests) that has slipped through the mimecast security cracks. This is a must have!

Cons

There are times where the plugin fails or it crashes and suddenly disappears from Outlook. I think the outlook integration should be fixed.

Solid product with a lot of features and functionality

We use this product to protect about 8000 mailboxes.

Pros

Where do i begin? This is an advanced product for email filtering. It is solid and works well. Solid product to put in front of your email server or your cloud platform instance as it offers better than average threat protection.

Cons

Interface is not intuitive at all and it will take some getting used to.

Very accurate at filtering out spam

Accurate for filtering out spam emails, could use a revamp on the dashboard

Pros

Tool is very accurate at filtering out spam emails and delivering them in a single daily digest so user can pick to read any of them if needed

Cons

The user dashboard is hard to get to, and not so user friendly. Email attachments can get lost, specially when coming from outside the company

Matt from OTC Markets Group

Comprehensive Email Security

Pros

very feature rich constantly adding new features to increase layers of protection integrates well with other Mimecast products easy for users to understand Mimecast security alerts

Cons

configuring some of the policies can be confusing occasional feature overlap some SPAM email will still get through unless you set very strict filters

Best email filtering and security platform out there

Really good company to work with, honestly you won't regret working with these guys. Superb.

Pros

The secure email gateway never seems to let us down and is absolutely worth paying out for. Blocks out all the bad stuff!

Cons

Setup can be a little complicated but got there in the end. Not much else to say as Mimecast is so good.

Nathan from Jackson Kelly PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Great cloud-based email scanning and filtering service.

Highly-scalable and customizable email scanning and filtering in the cloud.

Pros

Highly configurable. Very flexible. Provides multiple layers of protection on both inbound and outbound messages. Includes great tools for tracking and reporting.

Cons

Some of the layout in the admin console can be a bit confusing as to where certain settings are configured.

Mark from Computer & Network Security

Effective but not user friendly

Mimecast is a great spam filter, however when I am working behind the scenes it can be a bit of a pain.

Pros

MimeCast has a very powerful spam filter that hasn't failed me yet. After about 8 months of using it there have been no issues with truly harmful messages getting to my inbox or anyone else in the company. Mimecast has a very simple "permit, block or allow" system that is easy for system administrators to decide with ease, as well as giving reasons why something had been caught in a spam filter.

Cons

There are a few issues with Mimecast, one being there is no way for Chrome to remember the password when logging into Mimecast. This might be due to the fact that there are two different pages where you input username and password. I find myself going to my password manager constantly in order to retrieve the password for Mimecast. The main page is not very intuitive either, the developer implemented tabs for the page which for a normal user would probably never use, and even confused me a bit.

Geoffrey from Robinson, Bradshaw and Hinson

Mimecast just works!

Pros

Consistency of a great product. Mimecast just works! We use it for Email protection. It captures spam and viruses, and checks attachments in a sandbox area to check for dangerous files.

Cons

Not much to dislike. We really like everything that Mimecast does for us.

A very comprehensive email security product

Pros

Being a SaaS offering, Mimecast can scale with you. The support is fantastic, I have never had a bad experience and their knowledge base is extremely good.

Cons

navigating the web portal at first can be a bit confusing. Outlook add in a bit clunky at times.

Steven from SHI

Gets the Job Done!

I highly recommend this to anyone looking for an email filtering solution.

Pros

The email filtering is superior to all other products we previously used. Additionally, it makes it really easy for an end user like me to whitelist/black list emails which is very important to me.

Cons

Sometimes it doesn't keep my white listed email addresses and it will flag them but this isn't much of an issue.

Thoughts on Mime Cast

Overall I am satisfied with this and ease of using it. It is very important that we communicate with out investors and protect their information.

Pros

That I can use it as plug in/add on to my current email software. I do not like when I have to open browser just to see secured email

Cons

A few times my email would freeze when I sent a secured email/ or I would have to remove and re-add this software when it was not preforming properly

Solid e-mail filtering platform.

We use this software as an MSP.

Pros

Highly available. Highly reliable. Almost no false positives. Very high rate of cleaning. Very few problems. Good cutomer support.

Cons

Interface is not intuitive and complicated.

Mark from Flash Mobile Vending

Nothing but excellence.

Security

Pros

MimeCast has helped so much in protecting us against Impersonation attacks which were a daily problem. IT helps us block nearly 10 000 Spam mails a week. since i implemented the MimeCast services my daily hours of work have been cut back and my stress levels have lowered. There support is phenomenal which makes me forget that i am dealing with a South African support line.

Cons

If you dont go on some training and try to setup MimeCast by yourself you will battle a bit so take up their offer on training.

Gary from FTV Capital

User of the software, useful and effective

Pros

Mimecast provides email security at my company - it is effective at screening spam emails and generally I find it easy to use to review filter/held emails which may be suspicious

Cons

Occassionally, inbound emails with attachments from gmail accounts are permanently rejected with no way to retrieve which I find someone annoying

sunny from MNP

Decent Email Security product

It's good product compared to the price hence a good investment

Pros

The product is very easy to configure and provide good level of protection against phishing and other email based malware.

Cons

It's still an upcoming product and can use some upgrade when it comes to detection engine. Some emails were missed but overall detection is good.

Joevanne from Greensky Trade Credit

Great overall Email Protection

Mimecast has been very effective in our environment. The product provides us with multiple types of protection against spam, malicious emails, and investigations.

Pros

Multiple offerings

Cons

lacks protections vs phishing

Philip from CIL Management Consultants

We use mimecast as an additional layer of e-mail security. I mainly notice it when it pops up when I

Additional protection from e-mail hacks.

Pros

It is very important as a business to protect yourself from being hacked through e-mails. One of the largest issues is users being compromised by e-mails that make it through the spam filter and mimecast is a good way of making users stop and think before opening links.

Cons

I think that this software is fairly expensive considering the role that it plays, however, it is an important thing to get right.

Andrew from ZoomInfo

Solid email security product

Overall it's a solid product, does its job well, and I would recommend it.

Pros

MimeCast Email Security makes it easy for us to mitigate email-based security threats and users generally tend to not notice it's even there, which is the best we could ask for.

Cons

It can slow down delivery sometimes, which usually isn't a big issue but can be an annoyance for workers and create spikes in support tickets.

Vipul from AB-Inbev

Blocks spam and promotions

Pros

Mimecast blocks spam and promotional emails very efficiently. There are options to add a new rule for allowing certain domains.

Cons

The notification for hold emails comes late. I want to be notified very quickly.

Mimecast is an additional security layer that I haven't felt much benefit from at all.

I haven't found any benefits from the software as yet. Maybe the benefits are the fact that my mailbox isn't crowded with SPAM, but, then again, it wasn't before MimeCast. I may be looking at this entirely wrong and not seeing the benefits that have been introduced, but I haven't felt them at all.

Pros

Mimecast runs on the e-mail server side, so there was no change to the way I way or handle e-mails every day. The software guided me through device registration when opening links, and explained what was happening at each step and why.

Cons

Lots of e-mails that come from trusted sources have been marked as SPAM. This occurs on a regular basis. The fact that device registrations, to ensure links can be opened in e-mails, are based on a stored cookie is really inconvenient. This means that if I choose not to allow cookies, I need to register the device I am using (via a 2 factor emailed code) every time I click on a link in e-mail.

Marcial from NMBS

Threat Intelligence

Organization gradually decrease phishing attacks successfully

Pros

it provides actionable data on what types of attacks are targeting the organization

Cons

requires end-user training for some basis commands

Never had an issue, wish I had login to review blocked emails readily

Pros

Never had issue with spam arriving in my inbox

Cons

I don't have a login in to review blocked emails at anytime, I have to click on them in the automated email, which sometimes i delete by accident.

Daniel from Smoky Mountain Children's Home

Great Email Bouncer

Works well, and I love it.

Pros

Using this has been fairly simple. Our users just get the "PostMaster" from Mimecast for anything that the product doesn't know if it is good or bad and the user selects the appropriate portion. It works very well for acting as an email bouncer.

Cons

Most users forget that it is there and ignore their PostMaster emails

Jeff from Deephaven Mortgage

Mimecast help with Email Traffic

Helps with time management and weeding out users you do not want to receive emails from.

Pros

I like that 95% of emails that get stopped by Mimecast are worthless. Saves a lot of time and helps clean up spam coming in.

Cons

Occasionally, internal emails sent internally to all get hung up in here. Does not always make sense why.

Julie from Bricker & Eckler LLP

Safe and Secure

The filters to search our email archive is fantastic. I've never seen a filter feature that has so many options, including date, keywords, subject, people, etc. Every time I log into the MimeCast portal, I leave finding what I was looking for.

Pros

The new MimeCast personal portal is AWESOME. We recently switched to it from an outlook plugin version. I can't say enough about how easy it is to locate old emails and find emails that may have been blocked or flagged for security reasons. No more having to call the IT guy every time a "reset your password" email comes through. Win!

Cons

I honestly don't have any complaints. This is a very easy way to access my email remotely, search archived email, and filter out unwanted email.

Megan from Vcs

Mimecast

Overall this software is a good idea- we use this company wide.

Pros

I like the added level of security- my entire day I receive emails from unknown senders, but with this added step I can avoid fraudulent activity and viruses.

Cons

Mimecast does flag email addresses you have added to your contacts therefore delaying receipt of communication

Lisa from 3SI Security Systems

Industry: Security and Investigations

Terrible, clunky, feels like old, outdated technology

It's supposed to make us more efficient and keep us from clicking "dangerous" links. but honestly, it has caused negative impact on our productivity because of wasted time, missed emails, etc. Granted, I don't have experience with any competitive products, but I can't imagine they are all this bad.

Pros

Very little is good about this product. It does catch some spam, but it misses a ton and it also catches a lot of valid emails.

Cons

Where to begin? First of all, as noted above, this software does a very inconsistent job of catching actual spam. Clearly spammy email regularly makes it through to my inbox, and when messages are held, there is often a long delay before you receive the email telling you there are held messages. That is very problematic especially if you get an email you weren't necessarily expecting...you don't know when it's going to arrive, so you aren't looking for it and may not realize it's been held. Perhaps the worst thing about Mimecast is that everytime you release, block or permit an email, it opens a web window telling you what you just did. What is the point of that? I just click on the button, i don't need you to open a window and take me out of email every single time. I believe every single employee in our company hates Mimecast at least as much as I do.

david from Triangle Capital Group

very tight security

Protects my email

Pros

It definitely protects my emails very well and it notifies me when an email or sender was blocked due to being unfamiliar

Cons

sometimes the emails get stuck in the cloud and you can't find it. The emails blocked but it can't be found. Sometimes the security is a little too tight

Kevin from Valerus

Industry: Oil & Energy

Lots to like about this product

Pros

We originally looked at proofpoint, but as a 300 employee company, it was too big and expensive for us. Also, the license count minimums for PP were very high. Mimecast came in about 60 percent less, for very similar services. Our biggest threat was phishing, and executive spear phishing. With a 100% SLA uptime, email continuity, 99 year archiving with unlimited data, and basically just rerouting your MX record, this service is a no brainer.

Cons

My only beef was I was told by sales you could use this with non dedicated hosted exchange at rackspace, but after the sale I was told its not true. We moved to 365.