All RescueTime Reviews

Eero

Consumer Electronics, 2 - 10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed September 2021

The best time-tracking tool. Period.

Iris

Entertainment, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2018

The stats will surprise you

Definitely worth it.

PROS

Rescuetime has mostly helped me whittle down little time sinks that I was unaware of. For example, it turned out I spent 30 minutes a day selecting songs on iTunes; now I have a playlist on shuffle and do not actively use iTunes anymore to select my music during the work day. Rescuetime has often surprised me by showing stats being very different from how I perceived them. It can also be motivated to see a highly productive day unfolding and feeling competitive with yourself.

CONS

Currently Rescuetime cannot distinguish browser tabs in Firefox. Other apps like Timedoctor can, so I'm sure Rescuetime could fix this if they'd commit to it.

Sean

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

Cannot recommend this enough.

This is the first thing I install in all my new machines and browsers, the information it provides is invaluable and really eye-opening, and really worth the low price-tag honestly. I really recommend this for anyone looking to improve their productivity.

PROS

The amount of information that this gathers is just mindblowing, being available on everything is just awesome. The automatic categorization for apps works most of the time. Then there are the vast amount of integrations it offers. This is the best time tracking software I have used, which just gets better with time.

CONS

Re-categorizing activities is somewhat convoluted, I've had to bookmark the page honestly so I can get to it quickly. The focus sessions are a neat feature but it needs to be more robust as it is quite easy to circumvent.

Kudzai

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2019

The tool of champions!

PROS

RescueTime is an absolutely brilliant time tracking tool. It has given me a very simple but accurate tool for tracking exactly how much time I spend on projects. It's brilliant because it tracks time by app but also by websites visited. So I can include research time and reading time into the time I spend on projects. It tracks multiple devices which is great because I tend to switch between devices when working on projects. It's non intrusive and runs completely silently in the background with a simple weekly email and all data available via the mobile app.

CONS

It would be great to set up project and task tracking within the app so we can group our activities.

René

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2023

Identify potential time wasters with RescueTime

Rescue time helped me to capture my app and website behaviour and thus made it possible to identify areas where I could cut back on wasting time or streamline the usage of an app. This was especially obvious with the use of e-mail. Now I try to stick to certain times a day which cut back the time of e-mail usage significantly. Also if you already have the feeling that you spent too much time with distracting activities you can block them.

PROS

The detailed analysis of how I use apps and websites made it possible to become more efficient when working with a computer. You can also block distractions if needed.

CONS

Personally I don’t have any complaints but if you don’t want to have all your app and website usage logged online then this might be a downside.

Ulrich

Medical Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Excellent Rescue Time!

Rescue Time is excellent for efficient time management, organizing and backing up your activities. Offering users other language options besides English would make it perfect.

PROS

I love this software. With it, I plan my work, I organize my time, I control the duration of use of websites and block those that distract me. And I can also save my activities every day, unbelievable!

CONS

This great software seems to be designed only for English speakers, since there's no option to switch languages.

Jorgen

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Great for staying accountable

RescueTime brings insights into how you use your time, whether it's in a productive way or not. Can shed light on just how much time you spend on your computer.

PROS

Automatic tracking of how you use your time Easy to use dashboard Great way to stay accountable with your Goals

CONS

Lack of detail in reporting (RescueTime is not a replacement for time tracking for contractors) Always on nature of recording can pose a privacy risk

Mitch

E-Learning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2019

Keeps me honest with screen time

I've been a Rescuetime user for years and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

PROS

Each week I take the report and show it to my accountability group, with the goal of decreasing my computer time week by week. Rescuetime makes it very easy to track and spot trends.

CONS

No cons that I can think of. Once I had categorized all of my different applications and activities it works well.

Adithya

Computer Software, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed November 2018

Excellent tool to track your/employee productive time

PROS

* Great easy to setup tool to track all activities done in system. * Extremely accurate regarding the activities and time usage. * Excellent reporting to generate and analyze the pattern. * Can be used to track Employee productivity. * Not a privacy nightmare as many sensitive data is not captured. * Can be used to track our computer usage and help us to be more productive. * Supports mobile devices and linux,Mac as well.

CONS

*Bit expensive for premium version/organization plans.

Flavio

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Automatic Time Tracking

Time sheets and time tracking can be painful. RescueTime takes away the stress by working in the background to identify the tasks you're working on, which is great.

PROS

Effortless time tracking with a 'set and forget' kind of approach. RescueTime works in the background to identify the tasks you're working on and provides insightful reports on productivity.

CONS

Integration with other systems would be invaluable as we've recently moved to a different solution that integrates with some of the other products we use internally.

Fernando

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2023

Really valuable resource

PROS

This tool for our team has been an eye-opening tool for tracking and improving productivity. Its automatic time tracking feature helps users understand how they spend their time on the computer and mobile devices. We particularly like The detailed reports and activity breakdowns provide valuable data to identify time-wasting habits and increase focus. Goal-setting and notification features encourage users to stay on track towards their productivity goals.

CONS

It may take time to fully utilise the insights gained from the tool

Eero

Consumer Electronics, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2021

The best time-tracking tool. Period.

Overall, I have a much better understanding how I am using my time. I have spotted a lot of time-consuming activies and removed or limited them, while increasing the beneficial activities. I am very happy with the software and intend to use it in the future too.

PROS

This software has been a game-changer, and I have been a happy paying customer now for more than three years. The tracking is very precise and works on all of my devices. Reports and analytics are easy to understand, and the software allows a lot of customization when it comes to recorded activities and their categorization. All in all a top product.

CONS

The only thing I don't like about RescueTime is that it can records me on multiple devices at the same time and counts those as separate. For example, I may listen to something on Youtube on my cellphone while I work on the laptop. RescueTime would then add both Youtube-time (harmful) and working time in its records. That can of course be changed by either modifying the records later or turning the tracking off prior to situations like this. However, I wish there will be some AI in the future to make this part more intelligent.

Reason for choosing RescueTime

At the time of purchasing, I didn't really find anything similar to RescueTime, at least when it comes to options.

Jessica

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2018

If I wasn't so cheap, I'd pay for it

While it's not the easy user experience to figure out, it's still a really helpful tool to reconstructing a day.

PROS

It's so helpful when recreating your day. We have to log every hour we spend, so we know what's billable and what's not, and some days I'm so all over the place I forget what I've done all day, so this helps me figure it out. It's also really nice that you can set your own designations for what's "productive" and what's "distracting." For most companies, Facebook would be "very distracting," but we actually do a lot of social media work for our clients, so it can be "productive" time for us. Just nice to have that flexibility. And the weekly emails are a nice reminder about how time adds up.

CONS

For a short period of time, I was able to use the "FocusTime" feature, which was awesome. I essentially turned off your access to programs or websites that were listed as "distracting." It pretty much stopped you from being your own enemy. I wish that was still part of the free version, b/c it was very helpful. Also, it's pretty clunky getting through the report of how you spent your time. You either have to look at it by category (Very Productive, Productive, Neutral, Distracting, Very Distracting) individually, or by task (Communication, Business, etc.), there's not just a way to see a full list of everything. And navigating between the different views isn't easy, but you get the hang of it.

Junjie

Reviewed March 2018

Track your productivity (or unproductivity) with email reports

PROS

RescueTime runs in the background of my computer, tracking every single minute that I spend on the computer. Because it has a huge and comprehensive database of apps and websites that it categorizes as productive or unproductive, it can automatically break down for me how much time I've spend in the day/week as productive (or not), and whether I've reached the goals that I've set up myself on the website. I love the email reports that they send to me, letting me know how much time I've actually spent on my work.

CONS

The included software on the Mac looks rudimentary, but it's not even something I have to deal with because it just runs in the background in the menu bar. It doesn't offer an option to hide the menu bar icon, so if that bothers you you'll need something like Bartender to hide it.

Erik

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2018

So that's where all my time goes ... writing software reviews.

PROS

I've been using the free version for some time now. It was really interesting at first, now I generally ignore it. But, I should probably take a look at my reports again to see how I'm doing. I'm impressed that it not only keeps track of time spent browsing different sites but time spent using local programs (Word, Excel, or even Remote Desktop, but not the specific usage on a remote computer). You can specify a category and how productive or distracting each website or program is. This is really helpful because a site could be productive for some people and distracting for others, depending on the type of work you do.

CONS

Sometimes I wish that it kept more history. I think it does if you pay for it. So, that makes sense. I just have it on my Windows desktop. I tried to add it to my android phone once and it didn't seem to work well. But, to be honest I didn't try very hard to get it setup.

Christian

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2023

Keeps track of what you are doing automatically (and how long...)

I'm happy with that tools. It helps me keep track of working hours per project.

PROS

The ease of use is the best of that tool. Without having to remember to start a task or something, it silently records what you are doing in the background.

CONS

Sometimes (but rarely...) it can be difficult to assign a recorded activity to a certain project. That happens at times with many simultaneous projects of a similar kind for which I have to use the same tools.

Reason for choosing RescueTime

I can't remember the names of all the software I looked at before picking RescueTime but what made the point for me was the automatic tracking without having to start a timer or something.

Kate

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2018

Game Changing App If You Track Your Time Hourly

It's a great way for me to track my time across different computers. I use it to make sure I'm recording all of my time in my daily time sheets that I use to bill clients at the end of the month.

PROS

I really like that it's simple and efficient at tracking and grouping the time I spend online so that I can use that data to update my daily timesheets.

CONS

It would be great if it would group some of the time into more specific categories - it will just say "Adwords" and it would be great if they had the campaign number so I can see which client where I actually spent my time. That said, I use the free version so that feels like a crap compliant considering I use it all the time and it's free.

Paulo

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Great for managing your time

Great way of making sure you're not exceeding your daily quota of distracting/non-productive apps.

PROS

RescueTime is quite complete. I like it that it also analyses the websites you use, not just the apps, and also allows you to get all information as one, that is, from your phone, personal computer and work laptop, and so on.

CONS

Managing the categories is sometimes a bit of a hassle. Sometimes you access YouTube for a legit reason during work, and sometimes you don't. And it works in a way that you just determine if a site is more or less distracting, regardless of the time.

Abdul Waudud

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2020

RescueTime is a Very useful Online Time Management Tool

I love this tool and will continue to use it.

PROS

RescueTime is a great tool when it comes to keeping track of your precious time online. It monitors each and every website you visit and the apps you use. And most importantly it tracks how much time you spend on each of them. It automatically categorizes most of the apps and sites you use on a productive or destructive level. You can always map various sites according to your requirements. It gives very detailed stats weekly and shows exactly how you spend your time online. It also helps you to set weekly productivity goals and reduce unproductive time spend. It seamlessly works in the background and tracks time on your PC and Mobile. RescueTime free version is enough for most of the user.

CONS

A real-time notification would be helpful. RescueTime pro version is a little costly.

Tami

Reviewed May 2018

Thank you Rescue Time for keeping me on track!

peace of mind that I am on task and spending the right amount of time working

PROS

I love the report that they send me each week, which shows how much time I have been spending on each task. Even better is that it was all set up for me, without me having to input anything extra. I like that it separates tasks into client work, and non-productive time and provide a visual chart graphic to help me really see how I am doing.

CONS

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like! Since social media is both a business task and personal/entertainment it is hard to know 100% on that one category, but I don't think that is a fault of the software.