Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"They produce apps which handle everything from CRM and CMS installations to security camera integration, to virtualization."
  • icon"This software is pretty user friendly and make it super easy to chat with coworkers about small things for work."
  • icon"Great price, easy to setup, awesome performance and many features."
  • icon"Fortunately there is a large community of users that you can query for answers to your problems."
  • icon"A few things that require set up can sometimes be a bit confusing."
  • icon"I have some problems with the Libraries, sometimes I have to start the software through the Terminal."

Have you used DiskStation and would like to share your experience with others?

All DiskStation Reviews

Jeremy

Synology Diskstation has been an incredibly valuable resource for business and home solutions.

Pros

The amount of first-party apps which are aimed at solving a lot of tasks users may have is what makes this software suite great. Other NAS providers may aim at a handful of media and downloading softwares, but Synology makes it clear out of the gate that their focus is on productivity. They produce apps which handle everything from CRM and CMS installations to security camera integration, to virtualization. The sheer value proposition of Diskstation makes it difficult to view this as a valuable product. Their customer service is also spot-on - we had to run an RMA through their center and both Email and Phone support were prompt and helpful.

Cons

The only issue I have found is either the learning curve of the software is a bit too high for some use cases, or the software doesn't dive deep enough into it outright replacing everything we are using. While I see incredible value for others with the mail server, for instance, it cannot perform everything we need and so it isn't being used. This is only a minor issue though, as I am confident there is something for everybody on in this product.

Davide

Industry: Newspapers

July 2022

Outstanding software, constantly getting better

I’ve been using it for fire than 10 years now, and can testify that it is constantly evolving and fixing bugs, releasing security patches in due time, and new major and minor version to further extend features at each release. Everything can be customised from a shallow and basic point to a very deep and complex one, so to each his own

Pros

It’s easy to setup and get started if you’re a novice, but at the same time the graphical interface allows you to dig much in depth quickly and easily to tune up every configuration as you need it to be. It is constant being updated to fix bugs and implement new features, looks nice and clean and quite intuitive, with helpful tips about what you’re about to do (not always, but mostly). Can be extended with a real lot of third party packages that you can download from the official installer or side load your self

Cons

Nothing much can be said about negative points really, maybe it could be even more quick (but it depends on the NAS specs you’re running) and with even more helpful tips for first time users to set up quickly in a basic way each function, but it would probably be too much out of scope and on the web you can find all kinds of official or unofficial guides

Stacey

Easy to use, full featureset.

I have installed multiple Synology NAS systems for different labs on campus. Built-in multiple 10Gb networking provides fast access. AD integration provides simple authentication path for changing class rosters allowing simple turnover from semester to semester.

Pros

Provides a intuitive interface to what could be complex configurations. Linux based with a web management interface that allows granular control of configuration. Great support for Active Directory authentication. Security updates are prompt and backwards compatible. The current system software run on the most recent Synology hardware as well as the older hardware. The only thing missing from older hardware are Intel CPU dependent features suck as virtualization. All add-on software modules that you need are freely available for installation via the Package manager.

Cons

Older or lower end hardware uses a slower ARM CPU. This limits performance compared with Intel CPU based hardware.

Finally a good web application

I used NAS for a long time from other brand and I was happy with. However, after purchasing Synology, I was surprised to find that software for NAS management can be programmed intuitively and efficiently. Thank you for it!

Pros

I used the D-Link web application, but Synology is much better. It is easier to orient in it, it's overall faster and more intuitive. App receives regular updates. As usual, I appreciate the super mobile application (tested on iOS). In case of interest, you can choose from a list of add-ins and plugins for extensions.

Cons

I had a problem playing content on Samsung Smart TV, but after a proper study I managed to. It would be nice to have a faster initial setup.

Joseph

Industry: Photography

May 2022

DiskStation does the job

Pros

A lot options to customize the experience to fit my needs.

Cons

Permissions are not straightforward. This could be a problem for less tech savvy users.

February 2022

Diskstation - one stop file sharing solution

We have been using it for over 2 years. It has greatly helped us with our file sharing needs. It's quick to deploy too for new users and requires minimal training.

Pros

Diskstation is very easy to setup and use. The interface uses the DSM OS which gets regular updates and all the controls can be accessed easy. The ability to install apps is a big plus.

Cons

The interface can sometimes be little slow and take up huge amount of resources.

Matthew

Industry: Photography

June 2022

Simple. Robust. Customizable. Effective. Reliable.

Per-device local & remote backup. Local redundant file storage. Fast & secure NAS solution.

Pros

Clean interface. Ease of access. Customizable. 3rd Party App support & security. It just WORKS, ALWAYS.

Cons

I do not have anything that I would attribute to a Con in all truth.

Reasons for choosing DiskStation

Rapport, Price, hardware profile, features.

Reasons for switching to DiskStation

Functionality & DSM superiority, hardware trim.

Wale

June 2022

Incredible and reliable NAS solution

DiskStation greatly helps with backup and file access. For those who like to try, DMS apps offer useful and fun ways to take full advantage of your network-attached storage devices.

Pros

Being able to effectively manage your NAS through a web browser and an intuitive GUI is a big advantage DiskStation offers. There is a myriad of free applications you can install through DSM to fully take advantage and maximize your NAS device. The well-designed mobile applications also make accessibility possible when you are on the go.

Cons

Apart from being unable to use Active Backup Agent with macOS which is a big letdown, there isn't any other issue I have with DiskStation.

Greg

Synology has transformed our File Server + VPN situation

As a Sysadmin I can say that Synology has solved many critical issues not just at my current job but others as well, simplified our environment, reduced support tickets, and created an environment where things just work. As long as your network is configured right and you have the synology setup well, you will not run into many issues especially in a mixed windows/mac environment.

Pros

We first introduced Synology diskstation into our environment about 3 1/2 years ago to solve a specific problem. We were running our file server on a windows server in an environment where we have windows and mac devices. Mac devices were struggling to connect, have poor performance when using SMB, and other less pressing issues. We needed to do something. It didn't take a lot of research to find Synology and be convinced to give it a try. Not only did it solve our file server issue, but it solved our vpn issue too. We were using a certain vendor for vpn which posed many problems and once we setup the vpn server on the diskstation and migrated the users to it, All vpn issues went away. We have had minimal issues since day 1.

Cons

The support. When you reach out via their site for chat support, it is very level 1 type support and there's not a lot they can assist with. Maybe this is typical, but it's not always convenient. You can file tickets from the interface which puts your ticket in a queue of higher tiered support which communicates via email. While the support has been able to resolve 99% of our issues, you do have to wait via email. Just not my favorite support but this would never stop or prevent me from continuing to use Synology.

Rob

Synology Diskstation and NAS Storage are a must have for a small business.

The benefits we get from this software is small startup cost and maintenance for our small business because we don't have to pay an IT company and a huge initial fee to set up a server for us because Synology makes it so easy to setup a NAS server.

Pros

The ease of use of this software is by far the greatest part of it. It is very user-friendly and almost anyone with the smallest amount of technical skills can set up a Server/NAS with Synology's diskstation. It allows our company to store all of our product photos and files on the drive while being able to give access to people through the cloud service, so they can work on the road or at home if needed.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about this software. Synology really knows how to cover all of its bases and make NAS as easy as turning on your TV.

Kenneth

Synology versus QNAP

Pros

We use both Synology and QNAP NAS devices. Both have similar capabilities and features. Synology updates their firmware and software regularly. These updates contain new features and lots of bug fixes.

Cons

Synology's Customer Service is the one area where Synology falls short in comparison to other NAS providers. Although their forums are helpful because they contain good information from other end users, Synology's own Customer Service is often delayed and unhelpful.

Brian

Great NAS app

Love it

Pros

I love that I can access my NAS remotely and use it for storage and backup. I can even download files directly to my NAS so I’m not using my laptop’s resources. I mostly use it as a media center.

Cons

It would be nice if all the various features were combined into one app but I’m sure it would get too big.

I absolutely love this NAS

Wonderful. I love this device. I highly recommend it and have already suggested one to multiple friends and family members.

Pros

This NAS might be the best purchase I have ever made. I love this Synology's software and hardware. I cannot live without this NAS.

Cons

It would be nice if Synology offered some higher end hardware. The NAS does everything I need, but it would be nice if you could purchase higher end versions with modern Intel i5/i7 or or AMD Ryzen chips and more ram.

Ease of implementation

Pros

The ease of implementation of this server with DiskStation and software is a massive plus for synology.

Cons

To set up remote login was a bit tricky specially setting up a DDNS. However, the community is very helpful.

July 2022

Synology DiskStation for Business

DiskStation has been great for the company and allows us to continuously adapt to an ever-changing work environment.

Pros

This software allowed us to create a NAS system to be shared with users in the office. We were able to set and configure rules and install applications as needed to fit our needs.

Cons

There is a learning curve to the software.

Christopher

I had no idea that owning a Synology would be one of the best decisions I'd ever made.

Pros

There are hundreds of apps that you can install to extend the functionality of your Synology. I put docker on it and am using it as a testbed for my web development projects.

Cons

The support documentation for the product is good but could be better. Many of the add-ons apps don't have any documentation on how to use the app.