All IDrive Reviews

Wow! Impressed!

Scott

Public Relations and Communications, 1 employee

Very happy so far

PROS

Competitive pricing, relatively easy to set up, mostly user-friendly platform, can back up multiple PCs with one account, excellent customer support

CONS

Setup is slightly confusing but excellent customer support promptly answered my queries

Reason for choosing IDrive

Great reviews, competitive prices, can back up more than one computer with one account

Reasons for switching to IDrive

With Backblaze, you need and have to pay for an account for each device whereas with IDrive you can back up multiple devices

Ranjit

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2024

Good value but frustrating issues with ethernet connectivity.

Very frustrating, due to the issues with connecivity

PROS

Large amount of storage for a good introductory price.

CONS

When backing up with the iDrive software my ethernet adapter becomes disabled. This only happens when backing using the iDrive software. I have throttled uplad to 80%, 50% then 25% and it still happens. Drivers are fully updated. Upload reverts to WiFi which is not as fast.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Good value, plenty of storage, good reviews.

Hi, thank you for the review. Please contact our support team so we can look into this for you - idrive.com/support

Replied May 2024

Alice

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2024

At last, a backup vendor I can depend on!

Excellent. Very happy with its reliability and, especially, the help that is available when I need it. I am located in Europe, and am used to having to contact customer support teams at inconvenient times due to the time difference. But IDrive support is always available. That's a huge win for me.

PROS

I like that it is a reputable company with superb customer service, and that their product actually WORKS. I was with a competitor for many years--basically inertia and wanting to avoid hassle kept me with them. They were very costly, and there were always glitches causing me to re-install the software. Their customer support doesn't respond. Period. I was actually a bit of a stooge for staying with them for so long. I did a search of reviews and IDrive came up No. 1. I am very pleased with it, and feel much more secure about business continuity, especially as my Mac ages.

CONS

I had trouble with installation, and required help from customer service (which I got immediately). But it wasn't intuitive. I also get some random error messages I don't understand, that I need to research.

Reason for choosing IDrive

I didn't consider anything else because of the reviews I read about IDrive convinced me it was a safe choice. Also, the price was right.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

The company and product were not reliable, and I even began to suspect the company might be going out of business.

Financial Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed May 2024

A little quirky, but gets the job done

Overall it is great and gets the job done, however it may not be as out-of-the-box to some users lacking a technical background.

PROS

IDrive is very inexpensive compared to other products

CONS

IDrive Express through Linux needs some polishing. The instructions they sent were unclear, leaving me to have to research how to properly backup my data using their provided hard drive.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Cost, and the ability to backup through scripts in Linux were the primary drivers. IDrive Express (they'll send you a hard drive, you fill and sent it back) was a bonus that I wasn't expecting that was included in the price.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

iDrive was much cheaper than Backblaze, though I miss the ease Backblaze was to implement a Linux backup with.

Jason

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2024

Easy, simple backup

PROS

I have been using Carbonite for years but felt their cost for adding another PC was very high. I shopped around and discovered iDrive. It's easier to use and install. The price is based on amount of data, not number of PCs. I really like the notifications the next morning after backup. Very happy so far.

CONS

The renewal price is much higher, which is typical, but I'd rather have a low overall price. Maybe they'll give an early renewal offer when it gets close.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

iDrive charges by data used while carbonite charges by PC/CPU. I have several with modest amounts of data I wanted to back up making iDrive the clear winner on price.

Jarrod

Hospitality, 2-10 employees

Use it or loose it!

Set it and forget it. Easy setup let it run overnight. Piece of mind!

PROS

Easy to setup, cheap and a huge piece of mind. I can't afford a loose critical tax info from a spilled coffee

CONS

I would like to share files with a phone. Not sure if I can do that with iDrive, I think I can, but haven't tried yet.

Cloud Service Backup can be used anywhere. Also File Sharing

Jonas

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Good product - a few quirks

PROS

Easy to see that your files have been backed up

CONS

Continuous data protection does not work for external drives Scheduler is a bit confusing - external drives are selected under "files/folders" but they are have a separate schedule. Took a minute to understand

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Good review about iDrive. Crashplan made it hard to see if your backups were up to date

Construction, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2024

IDrive has replaced my other cloud storages

PROS

I really apprecaited the price charged for the larger storage size, and the fact that they will mail you out a physical hard drive to upload all your stuff instead of spending days uploading over the internet was huge!

CONS

Not quite as robust of an app, but it's not a game changer. The pros still outweigh the cons.

Jayprakash

Consumer Services, 51-200 employees

Honest opinion

PROS

It provides option of continuous incremental Backup. The earlier product i used did not have that feature.

CONS

My earlier product would be backing up as soon as a new file is created/saved/edited etc and also showed the status in "file explorer". In Idrive I find this is not happening.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

even though i tried multiple times, I was unable to pay to renew my annual subscription.

Research, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Inexpensive storage with great basic functionality

Pretty good. Upload speeds are limited by my bandwidth and I would definitely use the mail-in Express service if the UK shipping charges were more reasonable, or they had a UK-based upload service. Backups have worked as expected and I hope never to have to use the recovery service for anything other than testing purposes.

PROS

The cost per terabyte is commendably low and was the initial reason I tested iDrive. All the basic functionality was available in the desktop app that I needed - scheduled backups of internal and external media. Initial testing showed that everything worked pretty much as expected 'out of the box' and that backups could be easily restored. I was sufficiently impressed to purchase the software. I've used it to backup about half a terabyte of data so far, with more to be uploaded. Scheduled backups run as expected, or as soon as the machine is turned on. They also run if the machine is sleeping - waking, backing up and sleeping again. During the testing phase I contacted customer support with a relatively trivial query (see comment below re timestamps) and got a prompt answer - that was reassuring.

CONS

All timings by the software use PST (Pacific Standard Time) and a US format timestamp. I'm on the other side of the world and it seems nonsensical for me to schedule a 9 am backup on the 10th of November (10/11/22) to find that the system records it as being made at 3 am on 11/10/22. If backups are daily and no more frequent this shouldn't be an issue, but it could well cause problems (or at least confusion) if backups were more frequent.I would like to see more granularity in the backup scheduling. For example - to set weekly backups for one external drive and daily backups for another. My understanding from the FAQ and help files, together with practical use of the system, is that all network/external drives are handled as a single backup set. The only way to omit one would be to leave it unplugged. In the same way, all local files/folders are handled as a single backup set, again with no granularity. The advantage of this approach is simplicity, the disadvantage is a lack of flexibility. For peace of mind, simplicity is better ... but I'd still like the option of more granularity.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Price and functions. Dropbox has too many and costs too much. Backblaze offers unlimited storage but cost more. I don't have unlimited data and the rate-limiting step was always going to be the upload speeds.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I've used Dropbox for many years for my research team, with a 10 Tb business account and a 2 Tb personal account. The software was getting less and less easy to use as additional (and - to me - unwanted) functions were added and the desktop client was intrusive and a memory hog. The cost of the storage was also high. With an educational discount I'm paying about one third what I was paying for Dropbox.

Computer & Network Security, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2024

An absoloute must have

Having used the product for a few weeks its hard to find much fault with it. The cloud back is very important and after the initial backup its very fast. The continuous data protection is also very important along with the full backup options. Very pleased with the service so far.

PROS

Simple to use Good value for money No Throttling Advanced features available The Mobile app is very good Can manage own security keys

CONS

Only some mild concern on the data cap but it meets my needs.

Reason for choosing IDrive

It came more highly recommended and I know plenty of individuals who use it for SOHO type businesses. So I already had some good feedback to go with. I also heard a review of the product on local radio tech segment. It was the top and only choice that suited all our needs

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I never liked how this software integrated into the explorer shell often causing issues with windows. The software doesn't seem to be updated regularly and is quite expensive although they do offer unlimited data but the fine print explains this is capped via throttling over a certain limit.

Sean

Information Technology and Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed April 2023

Easy to use, Peace of Mind

I’m using iDrive to backup my NAS and Mac to the cloud as a means of disaster recovery. It’s working as well as I could have hoped for.

PROS

The ease of integration with my Synology NAS made it much easier to backup my critical file stores.

CONS

There’s nothing that I would change about it, honestly!

Reason for choosing IDrive

Overall cost, ease of integration with Synology and Macs.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Restoration from Backblaze Personal is a much more involved process and can cost quite a bit and take a while if you restore over the cloud. They will send a hard drive, but this approach breaks down with large data recoveries. iDrive’s cloud services are more competitive.

Amit

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2023

Best cloud drive in terms of performance and price.

Additionally, I would like to highlight the responsiveness of your customer support team. When I encountered a minor issue with the app, I reached out for assistance, and I was pleasantly surprised by the prompt and helpful response I received. The level of support provided demonstrates your commitment to ensuring customer satisfaction.

PROS

Dear [App Developer],I am writing to express my sincere appreciation for your outstanding app. I recently had the opportunity to use it, and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and functionality it offers. It has truly exceeded my expectations.First and foremost, I want to commend your app's intuitive user interface. The design is sleek, modern, and user-friendly, making it incredibly easy to navigate through its various features. I found myself quickly adapting to the app's layout and effortlessly accessing the different sections.Moreover, your app's performance is exceptional. It operates smoothly, without any noticeable lag or crashes. I appreciate the attention to detail and the optimization efforts that have been put into ensuring a seamless user experience. It is evident that your team has devoted significant time and effort into refining the app's performance.

CONS

Only con i feel is it prompt every time I delete files from backup.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Onedrive was apps were very expensive for me.

Dean

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2023

Good for back up not good for a quick retrieval

My overall experience is mixed. I believe a iDrive does very good with seamless back up. I believe they manage the portions very well. I believe it’s easy to select what you want to back up. The encryption is very good. The seamless ease-of-use is very good. The technical support is pretty good. Like I said one guy was a little patronizing. However, I believe that was the only problem with customer service. I do think their customer service is very good in their sales were very good. Also the price is out of this world stellar.

PROS

Weather like most about idrive was, it was truly plug-and-play simple to back things up. It was also very easy to manage the user interface and the customer support was top notch.

CONS

iDrive took 72 hours to download a 650 GB file and still after 72 hours it was only 71% complete. I ran a random junk Internet test to verify with a different service and it downloaded 275 GB in three hours on my connection I was on the phone with customer service three separate times and they told me everything should be working correctly and they seemed a little patronizing.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Are you chose iDrive for the price? However, I have sent switched to sync.com due to the issues with restoring items.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Icedrive was very good however, they kept causing me to have mirrors and it was not down loading properly

Eric

Airlines/Aviation, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed June 2022

More peace of mind and simplicity over Google Photos

Great! It's exactly what I was looking for.

PROS

With Google Photos I couldn't find my photos because there was no proper filing system and little customization. IDrive is a simple folder system like Windows. Google would compress my photos even when I told them not to. I drive doesn't compress. Google would offer tons of free storage then take it away forcing you to pay. Google would delete tons of my photos and other things without permission or warning. For all these reasons and more IDrive Is a better option that provides more peace of mind.

CONS

There is always room for improvement and refinement but it's more important not to overcomplicate the program. Don't make any changes that will fundamentally change IDrive from what I originally signed up for. I want to pay for it and forget about it. I don't want the program to become something I have to maintain.

Reason for choosing IDrive

Straight forward, up front, versatile, reasonably priced. The company seemed legit and the reviews were good.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I couldn't control what Google would decide to delete, whether it would compress my images, or whether they would reduce my storage allotment. Specific photos are hard to find in Google. IDrive is simple and efficient like Windows file system.

Alisa

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Easy cloud backup for personal or small business use

IDrive is an economical way to provide cloud backup as a "last resort" back up against ransomeware attacks. For my use and the use of my clients, it is easy to install, easy to use, and provides a free means of seeding large back ups. I did need to use it on a Linux (Ubuntu) system. I am learning Linux and found that using their Linux option required a fair amount of research to get it working. However, once I had installed all the requisite free software to make it work, I discovered that the online interface was easy to use.

PROS

One account could back up data from multiple computers. The price was lower because this solution did not include extra services that, in this instance, were extraneous to my and my clients needs.

CONS

Idrive states that it is compatible with Linux. It is, however, there is no program to install, only a series of Perl scripts. I am not super familiar with Linux and it took a couple hours and research to get this functionality working. Once that investment was complete, it worked very well fron the web interface.

Reason for choosing IDrive

In this case, neither myself nor my clients required cloud file storage. Many of the business solutions were essentially cloud storage. My clients are small businesses without the need of cloud file storage...and who wouldn't know how to use it.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

I was using Syncrify over a software VPN and there was concern that ransomeware could potentially cross the VPN and create problems with the backup

Calum

Telecommunications, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2023

Gets the job done, simple to use.

Excellent value, no issues with upload speed. Allows data to be secured with a key only you have access to for privacy.

PROS

I have been using IDrive for several months now, and it is doing a great job of backing up my primary C drive as well as my two auxiliary drives full of RAW format photos and 4k video footage.It is simple to use and set up, and seems good enough for pro use. It also doesn't put too much of a load on the system unlike some competing products. I'm glad I purchased it, and it's a good value.

CONS

At this time there is nothing I do not like about IDrive.

Reason for choosing IDrive

IDrive was better priced, more storage and more local datacentres.

Reasons for switching to IDrive

Pricing and slow uploading to the servers.

Keith