Shelf Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2022

Find out more:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Enables agents to reference policies and processes quickly to provide optimal customer service and resolution to customer concerns. Searching for a document is easy."
  • icon"The webclipper available on Chrome has been a great tool to use to quickly capture resources from the Internet."
  • icon"It integrates well into our existing systems and serves as our main focal point for organization."
  • icon"There's no built in messaging or chat feature but they told me that a Slack integration was coming in the future."
  • icon"Picky, but I dislike the color palette. On occasion, the soft gray and orange can be difficult to read."
  • icon"For me there is no contra in the use of Shelf. Before we used another knowledge management tool which I was not convinced of in many points."

Have you used Shelf and would like to share your experience with others?

All Shelf Reviews

Shauneen

Industry: International Trade and Development

Shelf is a great content collaboration tool

Pros

High level organizational capabilities, easy to use & attractive interface, the Web Clipper. The organizational capabilities are great (especially if you implement your company’s existing file structure), but the search feature is so fine-tuned that you don’t need to be overly organized to find what you need.

Linda

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Shelf review

Pros

It's easy to use, easy to learn, easy to master and has good functionality.

Cons

It lacks some more functions like templates for UI and such. I would have liked more options to be able to structure the UI and the customer experience.

June 2016

This is not a drill: A user case that lead to early adoption

Using Shelf in support of my consultancy/advisory tasks related to the development of an incubator hub in Belgrade, Serbia. Tasks require a lot of information coming in and out and disseminated to a wide variety of management, staff and stakeholders. We have been extremely glad to get our hands on the program. Not only does it support our organizational ethos of trying out new information technologies whenever we can and as they become available, its also been ideally suited and fit for our purpose. Its really smoothed and integrated our workflows and was just what we were looking for.

Pros

Shelf is really easy to set up and get going very quickly and is incredibly intuitive to use. Its a great tool not only for managing knowledge inputs in a wide variety of formats but also for group and task based working. The web clipper is great for capturing information on the go and actually a lot of fun to use. The file permissions system is super efficient for setting up and breaking down work/interest groups. It ensures everyone gets what they need to know and gets a chance to appropriately share and contribute. Its strongly supportive of the informational needs of the multi layered management structure of the organization as well as for disseminating information and updates to its general membership and stakeholders.

Cons

Although its already integrated with the three most important cloud storage sites and we hear more are on the way, we've already become firm Shelf fans and will continue to use so we'd like to see some fast-tracking so more become available sooner than later. We also hear email integration is on the way. Right now and until it comes, it would be useful for user email lists to be generated internally.

April

Industry: Music

User Friendly with Great Features and Functionality!

Pros

The top 3 features of Shelf for CMDW, Inc include Sync, Search and Sharing. Shelf syncs with Google Drive and Dropbox to help users better organize and access files. Once files are synced, users can search for files via keyword(s) - even if you don't remember the title or when it was created. It's quick and easy to drag and drop files or folders to an updated private or shared folder from there (or simply leave in the current folders, as Shelf retains the original filing properties/locations during sync). Shelf is already setup with four permission levels - along with a "groups" feature to making sharing at specific access levels a breeze. I should also point out that Shelf works well with all types of files and media, including documents, audio, video and more - which is especially important for the creatives on our team! There are plenty of organization and collaboration tools out there - I've tried several, but Shelf has hit the UX (user experience) nail on the head. It's visually appealing and less intimidating for my clients and team members who are less tech savvy. The onboarding process for me was actually pretty fun. The demo was informative and tailored to my unique organizational needs. Customer rep really listened to my challenges and showed me how Shelf can solve many of our current problems. I'm really excited to finally have a functional solution for file management. No more lost hours searching and starting over from scratch!

Nathan

Used as replacement of our Confluence wiki

Pros

Personally, i love using Confluence but it was difficult to get our company onboard. We needed a product that was more flexible and easier to organize for our company's internal knowledgebase. After a pretty extensive vetting process we selected Shelf because it allowed our team to continue using Dropbox, Drive and Slack while giving us the ability to manage our most critical docs in a centralized place. The features that make shelf unique are it's dropbox and Drive syncing, advanced search and filtered search capabilities, the ability to add additional meta data like tags and badges and the web clipper which enables our team to also use Shelf to capture youtube videos and web articles for training purposes.

Cons

No product that tries to address knowledge management issues is going to be perfect.. Even knowledge managers at our firm have trouble keeping track of information across teams and departments so no solution is going to be a one size fits all. I prefer a wiki method of building knowledge bases and Shelf doesn't yet offer this feature but overall we're very happy with Shelf.

Great experience, friendly, knowledgeable, no sales pressure which was AWESOME and APPRECIATED!

Easy CMS for users with NO TECH experience. Deepens our value to our members by providing not just our content but valued content from external sources in 1 easy to find, easy to search, and easy to share online platform.

Pros

We like the ease of sharing files and different resources across our membership. The ease of adding both internal content via OneDrive and external content with their Web Clipper is not found on any other product. Having the ability to customize user groups with specific roles in their group is a great feature. Allows us to promote people to roles in a group but not on the overall platform. The ability to make certain things public and certain things private allows for easy sharing and linking from website and social media. The search feature is the most impressive feature, allowing users to search from a wide variety of content across the entire platform. Don't forget about the ability for authors to get emails alerting for new comments to easily respond and address certain questions.

Cons

The lack of a built in CRM tool and/or linking via api keeps the product from certain users but is the best CMS on the market.

Shelf has been helping us avoid some costly mistakes.

Pros

Shelf makes it easy for us to capture content using the web clipper and then forget about it until we need it again. The search features make it easy to locate stuff without knowing the name or the exact folder location. They have tags, a tag library and customized badges.

Cons

I wish the web clipper enabled us to capture slideshare presentations and podcasts. I wrote to their customer service team and they said that it was in the works.

Dani

Perfect solution for all forms of media - audio, video, pictures

Pros

Content is easy to find and searchable for all users based on tagging system, which is easy to use; content can be shared across all of our teams; reduces duplication; affordable; syncs with Google drive and drop box; very easy to drag and drop files and folders

Cons

There is no built in CRM tool, and this would be really useful t have accessible. Would also be great if this would integrate with Outlook. Takes some time to put the content you want on the platform but well worth it once it is set up and ready to use.

Wendy

Industry: Machinery

Shelf 7 Month Check In

I really enjoy working with Shelf. It's easy to navigate and search. We've had excellent feedback when opening it up within our organization and I'm excited to see how we can grow with Shelf.

Pros

I love the collaboration aspect of Shelf and the ratings. This is how we're using Shelf to keep our content current and it's extremely helpful to view the comments/ratings to see how or if the content is being used. I'm also very happy that Shelf is adding a feature where multiple items can be in different folders as much of our content can be cross-referenced.

Cons

I would love to have more control over the tags list as that needs to be constantly curated and I hate bugging the client rep to do it.

Reasons for choosing Shelf

I wasn't the decision maker in this process.

Extremely pleased with Shelf

Overall we are extremely pleased with the platform and support provided. The AI is invaluable and the openness to evolve new features is wonderful.

Pros

That it's easy to use and constantly evolving. Love the ease of making changes.

Cons

really would love to have a calendar, would love more space to describe the gem, would love to be able to identify an owner (not the person who uploaded). Although not a deal breaker.. the overall 'look' of the dashboard is not visually appealing.

Reasons for choosing Shelf

met all our mandatory requirements, ease of use, competitive pricing.

amanda

Shelf is a game changer

we are very much enjoying Shelf and are excited to continue to onboard new departments to Shelf!

Pros

Shelf has allowed Granite teammates to store and share vital information for day to day jobs. It has allowed us to easily share content between teams that had no capability of doing so previously. The search functionality it top-notch and allows people to find what they need as quickly and simply as possible!

Cons

bulk add tool & the ability to add people directly to user groups when adding to shelf

Edita

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Find everything faster and you know it's the correct article

Some of the platform are just big theory that doesnt help at all. This is nicely constructed so you can find fast what you need. It helos a lot when you are doing analyses and you need to fast check some procedures

Pros

I liked the tree option, plus implementation onto the other platform is very useful! For now there is no complains, nor from me or others users. Its a very good platform especially when you wanna help others to teach them some procedures better

Cons

As I said no complaints so far, I am not using it for long, but in this time its very much useful!

Reasons for switching to Shelf

The overall use of the agents wasnt ug, it wasnt very approchable, and it was overall messy. Me personally didnt use it that much and was relying on my notes at that moment

Dale

Shelf for the win!

As a proposal manager with a hefty proposal work load, and short deadlines, I need my response content fast. Considering we have over 3,000 content records (and growing daily) there's a lot of information to sift through. Shelf makes this incredibly easy and efficient. Updating current records is super easy, as is adding in new content. And Shelf indexes it all amazingly fast!

Pros

Shelf is intuitive, easy to use, and extremely powerful. I appreciate the ease with which I can manage content; both creating new items, and managing current content.

Cons

So far I haven't found a lot to dislike about Shelf. Members of my team were hoping for Boolean search capabilities, but I find that searching with just basic terms brings back all the results I could possibly need. All thanks to the extreme indexing power of Shelf.

Suleyman

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Useful knowledge base

User friendly software with lots of options and tools

Pros

Easy to use , a lot of features , more options

Cons

Everything was great , had some problems with assist but i think its because of language

Reasons for switching to Shelf

Company's decision

Kelly

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Shelf is AMAZING! Exactly what our organization needed.

This was the program that we needed to organize our content! We had several locations where we keep content, and ended up with several copies of the same document. Shelf allowed us to have 1 space for our employees to access with the most up to date, recent and most used documents.

Pros

Shelf is so easy to navigate even for those who struggle to use computers. I love that you can design your home page with your 'favorites'. I love the search feature, and that related documents populate with each document. Super organized, beautiful layout.

Cons

I have yet to come across something that I would change about Shelf.

Adrienne