Browse HomeGauge Reviews

Bill from Schultz Property Inspection

Best long term solution

I started with this software in 2003 when we established our business. It has had so many upgrades along the way. I have had so many colleagues use other software over the years and had to switch because of lack of support, no upgrades and software companies going out of business. I'm glad I made the right choice initially with Homegauge. I've had a lot of colleagues switch to it.

Pros

Ease of use. Always improving and making it better.

Cons

Nothing. If there is ever a problem, they fix or improve it.

My only choice and haven't looked back

It has been a wonderful ride as I've become more comfortable with the mobile application and customizing my systems to compliment the web based service. The web services are an additional cost, but you are absolutely missing our and even causing yourself massive headaches if you aren't integrating the web portal.

Pros

The ability to create a system that integrates everything from scheduling appointments, to the final product being presented to a client all on a web based portal. It makes communicating with the customer seamless and allows the to create repair lists off the report I have created. Ultimately, it make me look more professional because it offers such a clean interface for my customers to interact with my company and their reports.

Cons

Learning the actual reporting software took quite a bit of time. Auto-comments are difficult to figure out without a simple trial and error time. Using their video tutorials I'm sure would have made a world of difference, but I was limited on time when learning the program at the beginning as I was blessed to be busy enough I couldn't take all of them. Of those that I really needed to use to learn something, they were rather informative and usually led me to creating a solution.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I simply decided that I was going to try HomeGauge based off the recommendation of a very seasoned inspector that was my mentor at the beginning of my home inspection career.

John from RV Inspector Pro

Nothing but a check list and difficult to use

Frustrating. Infuriating. Aggravating. Exasperating. I'm a computer geek. I can usually overcome most any software obstacle, if the software is even remotely functional. But every time I came up with a work-around for some HomeGauge limitation, 2 more would pop up. Their customer support is above average. But good customer support is not enough to overcome the many software limitations of the desktop version and the broken iPhone version. I ended up switching to iAuditor, which is a far superior product that surprisingly, costs much less. Do yourself a favor. Avoid HomeGauge like the plague. It's a time waster.

Pros

Hmmm… I sat here for two minutes, before writing this, just trying to think of something good to say about the HomeGauge software. But despite my best efforts, I can't think of anything I like about the software, itself. That said, I must complement the developer on providing above average technical support. Unfortunately their support is not enough to overcome the many missing or broken features in the HomeGauge software.

Cons

Wow! The list of issues with HomeGauge is long. 1) Windows only - won't run on Mac. 2) iPhone version crashes regularly. 3) It's nothing more than a glorified list - NO LOGIC. 4) Generated reports are hard to follow. 1) The desktop version is only available on the Windows operating system. If you use a Mac, you have to install Windows on your Mac. Surprisingly, I found that the app actually runs faster on my Mac than on a friend's PC. Go figure… But many of the features that Mac users take for granted are not available under windows. So it becomes a pain to use. 2) Although they offer a mobile version, the iPhone version is less than useless. My RV inspections take 6 to 8 hours and the iPhone version of HomeGauge would crash 3 to 8 times during an inspection. I would always lose at least the last question that I answered. But at times, I lost as many as 8 responses. Every time HomeGauge crashed on the iPhone, I would have to spend several minutes going back to figure out which questions I was going to have to answer again and then re-create those answers. Result: I lost any time that HomeGauge saved me. Really less than useless. 3) It's nothing more than a glorified list. There is NO LOGIC. Therefore the user must answer many unnecessary questions. If the RV has only 2 air conditioners, I shouldn't have to answer questions about 5 ACs. 4) The generated reports are difficult to follow (poorly structured) and only in PDF. There is no built-in color coding.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

At the time I purchased HomeGauge, I knew nothing of other products. I chose HomeGauge because it was the software that was used in my certification training. I didn't switch *FROM* another product, but *TO* another product. After using it for a few months, I realized that there must be a better product out there and I began searching. I looked at Spectacular and iAuditor. Both were better than HomeGauge, but iAuditor stood out as being far superior to either HomeGauge or Spectacular. iAuditor actually has basic logic flow. It took me a couple of months to develop a functional 6,000+ line template from scratch, in iAuditor. The iAuditor template editor was easy to learn. I am now presented with only questions appropriate to the RV I'm inspecting, based upon prior answers. My inspections now go much, Much, MUCH faster, with iAuditor than with HomeGauge. Although I have had few reasons to use it, the iAuditor support team is the second best I have ever encountered - right behind AppleCare. Moreover, iAuditor doesn't crash on my iPhone, the way HomeGauge did. It also allows me to color code my reports, which makes them far easier to read and understand, than the confusing HomeGauge reports. I wish I had known about iAuditor, before I bought HomeGauge. It would have save a lot of headaches.

Robert from High Tech Inspections

Easy to Use. Spend more time DOING Inspections

5-star experience. Pure and simple. Home Inspectors want support when they need it, but even more than that, they want to spend MORE time doing inspections instead of writing reports! With the Desktop HG app AND my mobile app with dictating capability. I have 90% of my report writing DONE while I am in the field doing the inspection. Bottom line: HG inspection software and their professional reports get me more business and make me more money!

Pros

Easy to use - intuitive. Despite HG's great training in the Asheville area and through videos, I was able to get up and running in minimal time. I love that they are constantly adding new capabilities that impact my business growth - like inspection videos!

Cons

I hated that HG took away the ability to add a Buyers Warranty with an Inspection report. That was another great value-add my clients liked. The integration (similar to the AirChek radon testing) was another differentiator I wish they did not remove.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Most comprehensive software, best UI, easy to use flexible report options. I could go on and on.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Two reasons: First, InspectVue required you to create all of your comments/narratives manually. The dynamic comment building capabilities of HG were a game-changer. Second, the ability to include videos in my reports (via web viewing) separated me from my competition. They say pictures are worth a thousand words, but videos of a leak, describing a defect of concern during the inspection (especially if your client cannot be with you DURING the inspection) is PRICELESS.

William from Zone Zero LLC

Industry: Information Services

Homegauge Software is the best I've used!

So far, I've had a great experience. I have never experienced a time when I couldn't access it, and my clients and agents appear to like it also.

Pros

Over the past four years, I have used a couple different inspection software products. I started with a very basic program, that was inexpensive, but soon realized I needed something with more functionality. Specifically, the ability to customize the program was a must. After another miss, I finally landed on HomeGauge and found that it worked great for my needs. It's very customizable, and was easy to get started. They had some great tutorials and now, over 2 years later, I couldn't do business without it. I also like the ability to save back-ups to the cloud as well as my own computer. Overall, I would say that it fulfills all my needs quite nicely.

Cons

The only thing I don't like, which is consistent with almost all software in this day and age. The $30.00 fee every month for using the cloud services. Not that it's pricey, but I'm just not a big fan of SAAS. I miss the days when you bought something, you owned it.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Many things about HomeHubZone I didn't like. Also, Homegauge was more customizable, and the other features it had far surpassed the Homehubzone.

Chip from Inland NW Home INspection

Great Software

I am a AHIT trained inspector and was convinced that their software was the best. After talking to many inspectors about the software they were using I decided to give Homeguage a try. I was glad I did!! Homeguage is much better than its competitors that it's in a category of its own. It becomes very apparent that the software was created by a home inspector. The only thing I regret is not switching to Homeguage much sooner. I have been a home inspector going on 11 years and have been using Homeguage almost 5. I have convinced 2 other inspectors in my area to use Homeguage as well and they feel the same way I do.

Pros

Customizing Homeguage software is very easy and virtually unlimited variables. Being able to create multiple templates for specific applications makes inspections much easier and efficient. The end result to the customer is a very professional report that is very easy to navigate. Both my customers and realtors are very happy with the reports I turn out.

Cons

The biggest con is having to deal with customers that do not have or use email. There is a work around for it but getting contracts and reports to them is a little more time consuming. It probably seems like a con because everything else has been made so much easier.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Nothing else remotely compares to Homeguages versatility and customization.

Paul from Paul's Home Inspection Service, LLC. LHI #10813

Home Gauge report review

It's Great! I contact customer service and get quick replies and easy to follow instructions when I get stuck on something. I feel that they actually listen to their customer base and try to meet the concerns with updates of the software. Sometimes I find myself watching the youtube video's that they do ... it does help.

Pros

Really like the software ... pretty easy to use for the most part ... no real learning curve here ... just need to be patient and pay attention that includes when editing a template. I edited mine several times over the years to fit my and my clients needs ... really happy with it.

Cons

I don't think it's really the software itself --- but saving / printing to a PDF - well lets say I wish there was an alternative ... Adobe and other PDF's tend to rearrange the report - just doesn't look as nice and neat as the HTML version. The other one is editing Reps info ... including email ... Reps change companies but leave behind team members that use the same email ... maybe a more less restrictive editing ability would be nice.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I liked the way Home Gauge was laid out, the ease of editing, the reviews from other inspectors about Home Gauge and users of the other programs and this is important - the client that receives the report ... I don't pay attention to the hype of the companies ... I look at the actual reviews of users and sample they posted ... when I contacted Home Gauge I didn't feel like I was just a pay check for them.

Damon from Florida's First Choice Inspections, LLC

One of the best

Professional reports that wow my clients and business services that have saved time and headaches. An all in one company that offers everything needed to get started. Some of those features may not be as great as could be found elsewhere for more money, but work well enough to satisfy startup business needs and budget.

Pros

Full suite of features that help run your business in addition to excellent software, webinars, and customer support.

Cons

Can be cumbersome at times. The many options for customizing could be more streamlined and easier to learn as you go. Same with making changes to customer information after scheduling.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Value...priced well with similar features and services.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Limited features and customization. No additional services.

Sean from A Superior Inspection

Homegauge ROCKS!

Customer service is outstanding and the company is always updating & with improvements as recommendations are heard.

Pros

Lots of options for customization & software allows a very easy interface with the clients,agents & inspectors. Software is best home inspection Software out today!!!

Cons

Improve the Companion App to allow more cohesiveness between the desktop & tablet. I wish it was easier to navigate the report options to change comments & diagrams easily.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Changed company's & HomeGauge was SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

Anthony from Beryl Project Engineering

Home Gauge

Pros

Easy photo upload. Easy Templates. Options on completion with Find First.

Cons

Cannot integrate to all templates offered when building the main template. Having check boxes for more than one summary, instead of programmed.

Have used in the past.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Homehub photo upload was terrible and time consuming.

Jeff from Tri-County Inspection and Consulting Services

User Over 15 Years

Solved report writing as a whole. The platform is great and generating reports. Home Gauge has also built two websites to date. Each have turned out great. Web services has been great to work with. If there are changes or dislikes, home gauge has always been accommodating with changes and my expectations. Scheduler, which I don't use because it's too time consuming to use and set it all up. There are not enough options to change fees on the fly, too many fixed prices with no range of ability to change them to meet my needs.

Pros

The companion and cloud use. Relatively easy to use the software in general. Support is really great, and I can usually solve most issues fast through HG support. Video use.

Cons

Not being able to edit styles and materials drop down menu view. It needs to be expanded and we need the ability to drag and drop the S&M within the menu easier. It doesn't expand wide enough to view all the text. No ability to copy and paste from inspection item text to the picture window. Takes too long to either type it of find it the saved picture comments. Template items gets too long over time and it's time consuming to find it within the software, either on companion or the desktop. I found it's easier to write the defect in long paragraphs and save to the template and just go find it that way, lots of scrolling. I hate the current arrow use for pictures. We need and I've asked for over 10 years to a more defined arrow and pointing and arrow options. Seems like a easy enough fix to add another option, but it's been ignored. I can't be changed without major distortion in the pictures or web report view. Stabilizing line drawings. Too shaky and unstable.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

First choice at the time. Seemed user friendly and set-up was easy.

David from Coast to City Inspections

Homegauge Services and Software

Pros: 1. Customer support is absolutely top notch and one of the best features of the company. 2. I like the "full package" of business solutions ( scheduling, taking payment, software integration, website, etc) it has allowed me to start an inspection business literally from scratch and bring it to a fully functional prospering company. 3. Software and support are an excellent value for the cost. 4. I have gotten many complements on my website design done by the HomeGauge team, and on my reports. Cons: 5. I have been VERY frustated with inability to manipulate the information of people who are my contacts, not being able to make simple edits such as spelling, correcting phone numbers, etc. This has been a problem numerous times. In essence, I am NOT an administrator of my own contact list. It gives me the unwelcome feeling that I don't own or control that part of my business. As a business owner I should have my own administrative rights over all contact information that my company acquires. 6. I dislike having a system that requires user names and passwords for the clients to access the reports. Have had to apologize for this several times. 7. I would prefer for HomeGauge to be a seamless part of my company and presentation, instead of appearing to be a separate company that the customer must interface with or know about. There is no need for my costumers to ever be concerned about who or what Homegauge is.

Pros

Easily intergrates with online scheduler, easy to customize. Professional quality end product. Company also provides website support. Ability to automatically add comments based on Styles and Materials, auto fill of client and inspection info.

Cons

Frankly, using it requires too many "clicks", could be streamlined. Focus appears to be more on "bells and whistles" rather than making it easier to use. Some aspects in the software are somewhat rigid.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

I used 3D when I was with another large company. When I started on my own, I couldn't afford their prices and Homegauge offered a better business package. So I switched. Although 3D is more streamlined, Homegauge was an acceptable alternative, and allowed me to accomplish what was needed.

Joseph from JMC Quality Home Inspections LLC

Home Gauge takes your business to the next level

Using the Home Gauge Companion on the phone or tablet helps to keep the reports, organized, especially when doing multiple inspections in a day. We are able to upload the report to the cloud and the office staff is able to begin reviewing the report and setting it up for final review before we even return to the office.

Pros

The ability to include videos and 360° photos with this program provides an excellent value to my customers and allows them to see the issues the way that we see them at the inspection. The 360° photos are a great point of reference, especially for a customer that may not be able to attend the inspection. Also, the ability to work with multiple inspectors on a larger job and merge the reports quickly and efficiently.

Cons

As with any home inspection software, there is a learning curve when first setting up the system. However Home Gauge provides fantastic customer support and a full library of instructional videos and documents to assist with setting up and using the software.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Home gauge seems to have the most available features and an extreme amount of flexibility for designing the final report product. The overall look and flow of the report, when finished, is excellent. The reports are very customizable and can be set up to properly match the requirements of your state standards. We have done over 2000 inspections with our Home Gauge software and love the product. We are looking forward to many more years of success, working with this company. Thank you for your support and product.

John from Integrity Real Estate Inspections

Best Home Inspection Software

Pros

I like the ease of use of the software. I write my reports from my pictures. The pictures are on the right. I review the picture, select the section of the report it goes in, insert, and then choose pre-written smart text to describe the problem. Then I can customize the pre-written text for the specific issue. Highlighting on the picture with arrows, circles, lines... easy. Cropping and zooming the picture... click done. I can even insert hyperlinks to web based articles on electric panel defects or what asbestos tiles look like. I also was able to customize the General Summary the way I wanted it and create a custom cover sheet.

Cons

While they have a tablet based interface, the main software itself only runs on Windows. For a while I ran it on a Mac using both Parallels and VMS, but there were always issues with file location (these may have been solved). What I would really like is to be able to log in from any machine (or tablet like an iPad Pro) and write the full report online. They have teased that this is coming... There are several products out there that have been doing this for years. Homegauge is the top in the industry. I am disappointed that this has not come to pass yet. ESPECIALLY since their software is essentially creating an html document and online html document editors have been available for over a decade.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I was more comfortable with the interface and process for writing the report.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Online report delivery. Flexibility of format. Ease of working with photos.

Austin from Transparent Inspections

Easily customization and use

This product and company has helped to streamline my processes. I do not use all of their products, but the ones I do use are great.

Pros

I have used this software for over six years and love that I can continually fine tune to streamline my process. The online scheduling makes life easy and reduces the amount of phone calls I have to take. It now integrates into my calendar as well. Agreements can be paperless so I do not have keep track of tons of paper and the agents and clients love the report format. Easy to use out of the box, with pictures and video ability.

Cons

Several times new features have been promised and either were late in coming or had trouble implementing. Also, sometimes have issues with connecting it to quickbooks for accounting. Reporting has not had any issues that I have encountered.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I was an real estate agent before a home inspector. I appreciated the format of the report from Homegauge. I also liked the online scheduling they offered. Other inspectors I trusted were positive about it as well.

Dino from Anchor-Safe Home Inspections, LLC

Veteran business owner loves working with another Navy Veteran Business Owner

HomeGuage software is only as great as the people who provides the technical services. Evertime I contact the HomeGauge support team to address a question or issue regarding my report (99% of the time it's operator error on me!), the service team has been professional, proficient, resourceful, and uncommonly kind while making you feel your question is so important to them. They even call you back to follow up with you, WHO does that? HomeGuage does!!!

Pros

This software is not only the most user friendly during and after the inspection services. The software reporting makes my business look so professional and reliable. I routinely get comments about the quality of my reporting with pictures and built in narrative.

Cons

Continue to work out the kinks with Apple, I ended up buying a new android phone to prevent lost data while conducting the inspection. Tell you the truth, I love the new phone with the use of Homegauge companion. NO REGRETS!

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

When I launched Anchor-Safe Home Inspections in July 2016, my finances were on fumes. I was putting everything on a credit card, and looking for every way to reduce the cost of starting a business. I called HomeGuage sales team and shared with them I was a Navy Veteran who was starting up his own Home Inspection business and was hoping they offered a military discount. I was put on hold, then with in seconds, I was asked "What is the name of the aircraft carrier with the hull number of CVN 69"? I told them it was the USS Dwight D Eisenhower. I soon found out the owner was a veteran and served in the Navy. I knew then I was in great hands and never considered anyone else. PS: I will never forget what they did for me. Go HomeGauge and Go Navy!

Robert from Old Kinderhook Home Inspection

Use of HomeGauge Software

I have no problems. I have to adjust to not having more than one inspection open at a time till one is completed. Yes, I can save as another file but I don't want to clutter my lists.

Pros

I have used HomeGauge software for over 12 years now. I have looked at and tried others prior to this purchase. I like the ease of use, modifying it to fit my needs of buildings to inspect, the end product to my clients and the support when needed. My service area is very remote within country settings in the Northeast. I had to be real versatile on my building inspections. Because of the nature of the area I inspect churches, farms, apartment buildings, small commercial office building spaces, residential, new homes, mobile homes, homes mostly in 1800's and even restaurants. Thanks to the ease of HomeGauge use and the choice of inspection formats they supply, I am able to make any one work to my needs and I can modify to fit the building I inspect. The software comes with example inspection points that are easily modified or one can add and save for future use and placement of photos. HomeGauge also offers tools such as website design which was a great thing for me. They helped design and then I can access and update and redesign as needed. HomeGauge updates it's software, sends you immediate upgrades and always backs up reports. Any problems, just call and they walk you through the easy process. Most recent additional upgrade in past year that clients love is where they can build their own list to be used for negotiations off the original inspection report. The ease of use of the Companion is the best tool at the site for pictures and notes. I really enjoy using HomeGauge.

Cons

Actually there is no complaints that I have using this software. If at any time I do have a question, I make the call, the support team is right there and I get the help needed. Sorry, no "cons" from this user.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I choose HomeGauge because I found it easy to use and modify. Most others can do the same but at the time this appeared easy. As a state ceu speaker and holding classes I ask what others use and at the end, I always suggest HomeGauge.

Philip from Homefront Inspection LLC

Long Time User

Overall, I really like HomeGauge. Just like any company there are hiccups. When ever I experience one and couldn't figure it out on my own I found their Customer Service willing and able to help me out. I have compared other reporting software but I just can't bring myself to learning a new program. I have been happy with my decision I made 15 years ago and don't plan on switching.

Pros

I like the fact that the templates are customizable. Example: I live in Colorado where the weather is hot and dry in the summer. Many people use Swamp Coolers. I was able to easily add this inspection item into the template. Also, I can rearrange the inspection items to fit my preferred inspection procedures. I like the fact that the pictures are included with the comment and not made reference to pages of pictures at the end of the report for the client to search for. My Realtors and clients like the Create Repair List function. This has been a great marketing point to my Realtors because it saves them a lot of time in writing up the Inspection Objection report for the seller. Another great feature is I can have auto comments that I want in every report to appear when I start a new report. I no longer have to remember to include them. In the Styles and Material section of the report I was able to select certain items and when they are selected the comment for that item is automatically inserted into the report. An example of this is when I select Federal Pacific Panel in the Styles and Material section a comment also is placed in the report under Electrical that tells the client about the concerns of the FPE. I also do this with aluminum wiring as well as dozens of other items. This is a great time saver for me. I also suggested a feature for labeling manually uploaded report like Radon and Sewer Reports that they now include as a feature.

Cons

I would have to say that the think I like the least is the time I spend on generating the report. This is more my fault then HomeGauge. There are quicker ways to generate the report like using your cell phone but I have been using HomeGauge for over 15 years and prefer to do it the old school way using a laptop. But still I only spend 30 to 40 minutes on a report and up to 1.5 hours on a really bad house with all kinds of defects. I prefer to put a lot of detail into my reports.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

I needed a report that was easier to understand for my clients. My clients hire me for my expertise but the report is the product I deliver. If they can't understand the report my service was useless.

Robert from Sherlock Homes Certified Home Inspections LLC

HomeGauge Review

HomeGauge has been good software for the most part and they are always looking for ways to improve. I do have my website hosted by HomeGauge and they also created my website. The only thing in that respect is a lot of money to have them service the website and provide SEO services. Using HomeGauge for all my website needs should dictate a discount for SEO and tweaking of the website to be sure its up to date and accessible to all the search engines.

Pros

The software is fairly easy to use except when trying to change fields in the software, such as the inspected, not inspected, monitor, safety item, etc. which is somewhat challenging but at least the options are there. The tablet version, uploads, picture ability and videos etc. are very nice and easy to use. Additions such as clients ability to make lists for repair, etc. is also a nice feature.

Cons

Some areas are hard to use and the help files are hard to navigate. When items are not included in reports by using the "x", fields that have automatic responses are still included in the report and these have to be manually deleted. It would also be nice to have fields in the report that provide explanations of various items without the inspector having to hunt for them and insert them. Things like the Illustrated Home pictures, explanations such as those used in Verizon Software (out of Canada) automatically inserted when there is a "repair or replace" check-mark in the report would be outstanding. I urge you to check out Verizon if you haven't already as their reports are the premier in my opinion.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Expense and ease of support was better with HomeGauge.

Cindy from Property360/ The Building Inspector

Be More user Friendly

Mediocre. Font in the overview section of the report is abysmal. Looks bad when uploaded. Looks even worse if the client prints it out. My ADA clients usually do as they meet together to strategize.

Pros

1. Love the flexibility of creating a template for any type of inspection we want to perform at our company. 2. 18. Thank you for letting me call in to the office and say I need to send a large report and the size limit is lifted (I will pay!) and then I can call back to return the cap once report sent. 3. 17. Have a store – publish pricing – do not care if it is high or low prices. Let me know pricing so I can budget for what I want – signature color for email background/ spreadsheet/ signature color for styles and format/ cool fonts – think package like you buy in a video game…

Cons

1. When I go back in to the schedule to add information (the realtor texted me the combo code, for example), I have to remember to uncheck the request payment box. We use Guardian – just not through HG. If I forget to uncheck the box, then it shows the customer needs to pay before they can see the report – can be stressful for the customer . 2. I want to set the color code for the inspectors on the schedule – one was orange for a while and now he is purple. A different inspector is now orange – Yikes!! If I am on the phone and glance at the schedule, I may say a certain inspector is available when that is not true. 3. Need to customize the emails in order to do better branding for our company. I read your code to determine how to make the background blue. It can end up with a lot of question marks all over it when received by the customer – I do not know why. I want to bring a bang when the customer receives the email. 4. I want other items on the new appointment tab. I want to totally customize the type of information that gets put in that email also. - Option for another ID – for the WDO report - Option for type of access – combo/ Supra eKey/ ELB/ other (and can put code in the blank) - Option to put in a gate code - Option for other to be present at inspection and fill in the blank – we have parent/ sibling/ friend as the buyer rep etc. and the inspector needs to know who that person is. - Option for detached

Create own template.

Rene from CSI Certified Structural Inspections LLC

Homegauge

The presentation is very professional and it's made my business better.

Pros

The software is very user-friendly you can upload and download true cloud you could use to home gauge companion on site which makes report writing a lot quicker and easier I've been using home gauge for about 15 years or so and I've been able to change my templates and change this and that for my liking and quicker report writing I've tried several other softwares and home gauge is second to none over the years the upgrades have been fantastic their web site Department as-built vantastic website for me and whenever I have a problem I call in the customer service is very good when you call and you can't get ahold of anybody in someone else is on the phone they surely get back to you in a timely manner I would recommend home gauge to anybody getting into the field don't waste your time with other software.

Cons

The few things that I don't like on the software would be sometimes there's a glitch here in there which can be expected, but it makes you go to your dashboard and sigh in even though you keep your self signed in. Every month you have to reactivate your your software which can be nerve racking if it is on a Friday and they are closed until Monday and you have report to get out. Which has happend to me. The funny thing is in the past few months i do not remembering reactivating the software so maybe they have fixed it. My agents just love the repair list feature.

Homegauge is very user-friendly

Bart from Pagosa Protection Home Inspection, LLC

??? Not sure what this is for

My overall experience is very good. I particularly LOVE the great service as you guys are there when I need you. DO NOT CHANGE THIS! You are one of the few companies that I don't have to talk to India to get support, which is really no support at all. You have invested to make sure knowledgeable people for the most part are available to help. There is nothing worse than calling a support line and you know more than the person on the other end about their own software!!

Pros

The ability to get the job done. It does what it advertises quickly and efficiently. Love the online feature, where I upload my reports to the website for my customers and realtors. Love the phone app for writing reports at the inspection.

Cons

1). How hard it is to change a report's view and match the colors to the colors of your company, because you have to know CSS style sheets. 2). The fact that I can't sort my comments, and when I add a new I have to use the up/down button to sort alphabetically my comments. 3). The fact that when I add a new value for the "Smart Text Word" to my comment, I can't sort that either, which means I have to take time again to move up/down the new value so that it is sorted alphabetically. Drives me crazy! 4). My template can get corrupted a lot due to me putting in quotes or contraction words or special characters and when that happens it causes a HUGE slow down in the speed of the software. I am using the InterNACHI comments that I purchased. For now, I just don't put in special characters anymore, and I spell out the words instead of contractions.

Henry from Nice Associates

HomeGauge Review

The overall experience with HomeGauge is very good, almost excellent. I wanted a product that gave immediate return, a professional impression, an ease of use for my customers, a rugged, mobile use platform (my phone), a user friendly software and support that made for little downtime. I got/get all of this with HomeGauge.

Pros

What I like most about HomeGauge is the software is highly intuitive which allowed for immediate use and revenue stream to payoff the investment. The next thing I like, almost as much as the ease of use, is the customer support; customer support provides immediate useful help, they get me up and running fast. The third thing I like is the software allowed for enough customization that I could/can change it to fit my requirements immediately. I have used the word "immediately" in all three reasons for liking HomeGauge, so I'm thinking what I like best about HomeGauge is that it works for Me immediately.

Cons

The thing I least like about HomeGauge is there are limits to the customization of the report form, but, I think, based on my last conversation with customer support, they may be working on my request...

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

I made the switch from my past software for three seasons: 1. A more professional appearance 2. Speed in producing reports 3. Real estate agents like a professional appearance and a fast report turnaround (so maybe just one reason after all, I switched for my real estate agents).

JOHN from CJR Property Inspections

Love HomeGauge and Love the Company Employees

They overall are great! The customer service/technical support department are top notch and make me feel like they truly do care and want to get to the bottom of any issue I may be having.

Pros

The fact that is let me customize the layout of reports to fit my vision of what me reports should look like.

Cons

I feel like the app needs some work. It crashes on me frequently and still has bug fixes needed. Updates from the developers are slow to come out.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

That they were flexible in allowing me to more or less design the flow of how my reports appeared. It let me assign a tier system, or design my report view so that the bigger, more important report items were at the top of the report, and the lower relevance items were at the bottom. The technical support staff were friendly, informative, and helpful in educating me in realizing this was an option. Other software companies did not offer this flexibility.

Iain from The Inspection People

Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

HOMEGAUGE usability and interface

THE CALENDAR/SCHEDULER! Managing a multi inspector firm MUST BE MADE EASIER! If it is not mad easier then I will have to leave HG as much as it will hurt at first, the current way of doing things is not tenable.

Pros

It's malleable. I can customize templates very easily. The customer interface is good.

Cons

The cumbersome calendar is awful. The CLASSIC SCHEDULER is totally antiquated and there is not support for it anymore. Running a company with more than one inspector is dreadful. There is no smooth crossover from one inspector to another from an admin position. I manage the scheduling and in order to do so each inspector has to have their own profile that I can not toggle back and forth to. I have to literally log out of one and into another each time there is a calendar change. Interface with Outlook and Google calendar should be WAAYY easier

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I used Homegauge when I was employed by a larger firm. When I went into business for myself I stuck with it because it was familiar and there supposedly big tech and ease of use changes on the horizon...That was 8 years ago. HG Companion came out, which is awesome, but little else that is noticeable has been improved upon or changed. One more note: in the glossary of INDUSTRY CHOICES on the first page of this survey HOME INSPECTOR was NOT one of the choices ! Are you kidding me? This survey outfit needs to be FIRED!

Christopher from Phoenix Property Inspections, PLLC

Quality and Professional Inspection Software

Overall this software in my opinion is irreplaceable. It provides my company with a professional looking and high quality report and the tools needed to deliver that report to our clients. The customer service they offer is top notch and any problem we have ever had they walk us through the resolution not just fixing the issue but by educating us in the process.

Pros

The Quality of the finished report, when my clients get there reports they know it is a professional report and not something someone threw together.

Cons

Learning curve getting started is steeper then with other software packages but the quality that comes out is worth the learning curve. The customer service is outstanding which also helps to erase this con.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Customer Service, product presentation, and final product/report.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Product was sloppy basic and did not provide the tools I needed or required to present my clients with a top notch report and experience which is the goal of my company.

Dean from Vesta Inspections, LLC

Great software, but could use a little improvement

Overall, good. The various features (scheduling, notification emails, payment processing, report sending) have made managing my business at lot easier. The software could use some improvement. Technical and customer support at HG has always been excellent. Technical reps are very knowledgeable and professional.

Pros

Easy of use, scheduling, payment processing and report delivery functionality are great .

Cons

I've been using this SW since 2004. Over the years I have a had a number of issues with the various report templates I use. For example, I created a long list of auto-comments over the years. The problem is getting access to global auto-comments. I constantly up-date and add new auto-comments to my various templates (i.e. residential, commercial, commercial office bldg, restaurant, etc). However, there is no way to access ALL of the auto-comments I've created. The template saves just the comments that were added when it was last used. Second is text editing. I've started using a HG commercial template. Editing of comments is frustrating. I spend a lot of time cleaning up the formatting. Apparently HTML code has very limited text format capability. I would also like to be able to insert tables and headings into description fields when I have large res or commercial inspections that have a lot of one particular component such as HVAC equipment and appliances. I've also been experiencing problems with photo files loading into the report properly.

Jordan from Tahoma Inspection Services LLC

Solid Software on All Aspects

Awesome. Not much else to say. It would be nearly impossible for me to switch at this point and have no plans to.

Pros

I like Homegauge as it really does all I need for my business: Electronic Agreements Payment gateway Digital uploads Ease of use after initial learning curve. Overall, I personally think it is the best, but I have not used many others. I have tried a few out as samples, but went with Homegauge. I am still making small tweaks after 140 or so inspections, but it is great!

Cons

Their internal time stamp (for uploads and documentation) is East coast only, and after a few requests, this has not been able to be swapped to reflect my native time zone. This cannot be hard to adjust.......really!?!?! My customers do not care about the East Coast time zone. It can be a bit clunky initially with getting things set up. You have PC Software and your web dashboard. Once established it is great. There was just a bit of a learning curve, however they were helpful on the phone.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Basically I chose HG due to a recommendation from someone I was training with.

Larry from Apollo Home Inspection

Homegauge is an all in one platform

The reports are very well received by my client and they have complemented me on the detail. A lot of that has to do with how Homegauge will let you go above and beyond just a simple checklist with a few pictures. The other thing I would like to comment on is that I have always found HomeGauge customer service and tech support have always been very helpful when needed.

Pros

The reason I decided on Homegauge from the beginning was that it is set up as a checklist and makes sure that you have not missed an item before you send out the report. It also will let you add video and 360° pictures in the report which my clients really do like and complement me on.

Cons

It does seem the software platform is not as streamlined as some others and consequently report writing may be longer with homegauge. But to be fair this may be more attributed to my style of reporting in detail defects that I feel my clients hired me for.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I found that HomeGauge would not let you send out a report where you did not report on a system or component as either being inspected, in need of repair, or showing that you were not able to inspect. I note that there are other platforms out there that are more streamlined and certainly less expensive but in the long run you do get what you pay for and good software is important to build credibility and a good reputation in the industry.

Troy from M&T Inspection Services

Be the best inspector and business owner you can with Homegauge!

I have the best looking inspection report product in my market. I spend very little time on report writing leaving time to improve business.

Pros

The software is everything you need to manage and grow your inspection business and your personal time. You can do as little with it to as much as you can imagine. The support people are second to none. There are too many benefits too discuss here. You will bot be disappointed. The software is also only a small part of a system to help you succeed. The company offers many related marketing and management services.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. If I had to say anything it may be that I do not think I can view Realtor dashboard. But it doesn't matter and chances are I actually can I just have not spent time pursuing.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Demo product and videos available.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Thank God AHIT stopped supporting my software forcing me to switch. Best thing ever.

Megan from Bridge Home Inspection

I Heart HG

Super friendly, always recognize me when I call (or at least they successfully pretend to), and everyone loves the look of my report.

Pros

Well the staff is the bomb which is super important because I'm a hot mess to deal with on the phone sometimes. Homegauge does everything I want it to (minus a few minor improvements). I rarely have a problem and the staff is always there to get me back on track when I get click crazy and mess something up

Cons

When editing images on my computer, the image is soooo small and sometimes it is difficult to see what I'm trying to capture. I also wish that I could put arrows on my images in the companion.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Honestly, the booshie staff at the other software companies turned me off instantly. I'm only going to deal with down to earth people because I could care less how well you can annunciate and read a script.

Jon from Fox Property Inspection

Most likely leaving the HG platform

I loved HG when I first got started, it had the most features of any other platform. Fast forward 5 years and HG seems to be the old guy in the group. Web based/mac platforms have been promised for years but haven't seen any changes in the software in the 5 years I've been a customer. I am currently testing other platforms and they are leaving HG in the dust. Hopefully you can make some changes and lead the industry again. Until then Im not sure my business can afford to be stuck in the past with HG.

Pros

Very versatile, easy picture editing. Tons of features and customization options. Appeared to be the industry leader at the time.

Cons

Not Mac compatible. Outdated, clumsy, less features and usability than the leading competition. No longer a good option for a full featured inspection software platform.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Feature packed at the time. Was the most comprehensive platform, sadly no longer.

David from IN THE KNOW Inspections

HomeGauge Software and Services

I use the services platform to manage inspection agreements, scheduling, messaging, and report delivery. It simplifies my day to day management, and makes the process convenient and easy for my clients. The software is excellent. It takes awhile to get it customized to your needs so that the amount of time spent writing reports is minimized. The companion app works very well and is easy to navigate. If it had some picture editing capability, and you could default the desktop picture size smaller, it would be more time efficient to use. I recommend the software to everyone in the Home Inspection business.

Pros

Easy to customize Reasonably priced Great benefits and ease of use for my clients Robust platforms for laptop and smart devices via the companion app

Cons

Can’t edit the photos on the companion app Can’t set a default size for pictures, would like to set them small and enlarge when needed. Landscape and portrait orientations are sized differently. To make a portrait view the same size as a landscape view, you must rotate the picture 90 degrees, set the size, and rotate it back. Conversion to .pdf adds a lot of white space and resizes the images, resulting in a much longer report. Takes awhile to get it customized enough to be time efficient.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

1) It runs stand-alone on a laptop. The others required an internet connection to use it on a windows based tablet in the field. 2) It was more reasonably priced, and had better features. 3) Perpetual license if using the HG Services.

Jerrold from Scheidt Home Inspection

HomeGauge review

I have always had a good experience.

Pros

I Have used this product since 2011, I have seen the user friendly software change over the years. More features keep getting added that help my business look professional and keep ahead of the competition. When I first started with HomeGauge I used to talk to customer service and they would walk me through my problem. Now I have not needed to talk to customer service for the past few years, everything is so easy to do and I can customize a report to fit my clients.

Cons

I do wish the software would allow me to do quarterly reports to make taxes easier.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Easy to use, I was able to concentrate on doing inspection and getting the reports to my clients, instead of spending hours trying to figure out how to fill out the template and use the features of the other software.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

I did not like the look , format and it was too hard to use when I was trying to start my business.

Jeff from Accurate Inspections

IOS

Pros

Customer service.

Cons

Software is not IOS friendly which forces use of windows software Companion app has not been made for IOS that does not crash after being told they are working on it.

Was already using HimeGauge

Won a Free subscription

Jeff from Real Estate

Sold on Homegauge

I have a business advantage over many home inspector competitors in that I can type well. I have a good, ever-improving library. These assets allow me to inspect a house, discuss my findings with my client, show him/her my completed report and email it to the client and their realtor before I leave the property. With Homegauge I provide immediate results at the end of each and every transaction.

Pros

I have used the Homegauge software for 12+ years. My stakeholders (realtors, mortgage lender, clients) love my reports. How do I know? I can tailor my reports to be very readable and concise. I have elected to keep my reports simple yet convey all the information the client needs or wants to know as he/she moves through their real estate transaction. I rarely get a phone call asking for further explanation or to clarify statements. The support I receive when I have a question or problem is outstanding. I always get a very patient, knowledgeable staffer to solve my issues. I have been approached by other software reps to change but no other can measure up.

Cons

I am not a techno guru by any measure. I can't think of any changes I would like to see. I am happy with what I have.

Jeffrey from Campbell Property Inspections

Quality product, ever improving!

I've been using HG forever it seems... 12 years of more I'd say. They are supportive and receptive to our input. I've never been inclined to leave to another provider. They treat their long time users as good as their newbies with bundles and discounts. Often on the leading edge of new ideas... always thinking about what is next.

Pros

I like the versatility of the software. We can customize so much of it. The ability to use companion to update the report while in the field is very helpful. Just when i think it can't get much better, they improve it.

Cons

occasionally there are some quirks that cause the software to crash... but none anymore than any other computer software.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Better product and ease of use.

Zachary from First And Goal Home Inspections

A young guy’s opinion on HI software

Positive. The people are nice, smart, and helpful. The software does what I need even if it is buggy. It does a good job of it and has made our business better.

Pros

The templates are very easy to customize. They look great. Our clients rave about how professional, detailed, and easy to read our reports are. HomeGauge allows me to create a better report than my competition.

Cons

Bugs in the software. Black photos. 360s are a mess. Merging the reports can wipe out report attachments causing me to lose hours of work. The software is frustrating to use between two inspectors when we need to modify something in the reports or templates. It’s always “who’s side is it on?” or “can you exclude this from your template because my side doesn’t have it.” It makes the editing process take longer with two inspectors.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Met them at a conference.

TIMOTHY from WITHOUT A DOUBT HOME INSPECTIONS LLC

Great inspection software and support

I am very happy with HomeGauge. I tried several software plate forms and none are as easy and useful as HomeGauge

Pros

It is very user friendly and super easy to use. My clients and their professional realtors like the easy to read format of the reports . The support from the homegauge team is outstanding.

Cons

My only complaint the support office runs on ET and I live and work in PT and when I usually need them I have to wait till the next day because they are closed for the day. They should compromise and stay open at least half the time zone difference in mornings and evenings?

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Easy to use fast friendly service. One spot got me everything I needed.

James from True Blue Home Inspections, Inc.

Trouble free report writing

Pros

Home Gauge can be customized in detail. There are many common defects found in most homes that require some type of notation in a report. I am able to draw that comment from my pre-written list and insert it quickly into the report. This saves time and avoids confusion about the topic. I am also very grateful for the wonderful tech support from the very knowledgeable staff. They are responsive and diligent in helping me solve any questions I might have about the software. The system is even very helpful to my clients and agents with the Request List function. They love it!

Cons

A few of the photo editing functions are awkward to use, but I've learned to work around them.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

The paper reports were very limiting in the amount of information I could practically include in the report -- it took time on site to write the entries -- while everyone was waiting for me. With the Home Gauge software I am able to provide much more information in a more concise manner after the inspection tour is completed.

Erik from General Inspectors of Albuquerque

HomeGuage experienced review

Our overall experience with HomeGauge has been wonderful. I can honestly say that this software has provided us with the ability to increase our business significantly. We are able to inspect homes and issue reports to several clients a day without compromising quality. I do and will continue to recommend this software to other home inspectors already working in the industry or thinking of home inspecting as a new career.

Pros

I like the fact that we are able to build a design several templates. This feature significantly increases the efficiency of our inspections and report writing. The ability to design different templates based on the several variations of build and design in our region has made training new employees much easier and gives our employees confidence in there inspection and report writing processes.

Cons

Spell check can sometimes be inconsistent, most notably when words are in bold and/or in all capitals. Honesty not much to be disappointed in with this software. Any issues that we have had with this software has been resolved promptly, if not immediately, with the outstanding HomeGauge customer service.

Doug from Intteg home inspection

Versatile

Missing something in an inspection is difficult with the software notification when something is not filled out.

Pros

If your looking for a high quality report HomeGauge has the tools to do it. Very configurable to adapt to your methods and stile of inspection. Great customer interface!

Cons

It’s not simple to set up especially if you have a specific idea of what you what your end product to look like. There seems to be a few bugs although to be fair it may be the operator.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

I worked for a different company at the beginning of my career and they used HomeGuage.

Greg from Brick N' Beam Inspections

One Inspector's opinion...

Overall the software and support teams are good and will respond to your calls quickly.

Pros

The software is user friendly and makes for a good clean inspection report.

Cons

There are a couple of issues in the software that are redundant, such as deleting an item and getting asked again if you want to delete it, this takes extra time when deleting several line items or a category.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

I feel HG is easier to navigate through as the reader or Buyer and makes for a better looking report to both the real estate agents and our clients.

DAVID from The House Detectives llc

Home Gauge Software

The customers and Realtors like how easy it is to use at their end. I get new Realtors and they like so much, they will recommend me to their clients.

Pros

The software is very custom-able. I used a book before I purchased the software and was used to that format, and I was able to customized the software to what I wanted. The software is easy to add pictures to, and easy to understand. I bought the program from Home Gauge and that was it, no more money going out for updates. Home Gauge also comes up with very good additions to the software that really help out my customers and their Realtors. When I bought Home Gauge software, I looked at nine different software packages, and chose Home Gauge for how easy it was to customize.

Cons

There is a lot of things in the software I do not use, that would help my business, that I personally have a problem comprehending. I am an older inspector, and did not have computers when I grew up. I have to get my grown up children to help me get through it.

Paul from Safe@Home Inspections, LLC

An Outstanding Inspection Reporting Software Package

Outstanding. It has made my inspections appreciably more accurate while taking less time to complete.

Pros

The ability to customize the inspection software to meet my exacting needs is a critical feature for me. As huge bonuses, the ability to integrate everything online and add video to my reports has allowed me to stand out from the mass of other inspectors.

Cons

Lack of ability to get a customer signature on the device instead of online.

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

I needed better customization and faster information entry.

MARK from Austinspect, Inc

Extremely Robust Inspection Software

The ability to input details for the inspection in one place and distribute that information into my calendar, pre-inspection agreement and inspection report is a big time-saver. It also helps eliminate input errors.

Pros

I've been using HomeGauge for six years, and it has been a fantastic product. It allows me to seamlessly perform home inspections (using the mobile app), make final notes & edit pictures (desktop software) and communicate with clients and agents, handle pre-inspection agreements and accept payments (web dashboard.) The CRL (Create Request Lists) feature is a big hit with agents. I love the ability to force clients to pay for the inspection and sign their pre-inspection agreement before they can access the report. Tech support is always quick to respond and very helpful.

Cons

It would be nice to have access to support staff after normal business hours - I often write my reports in the evenings. Support for Apple products would be nice as well.

Troy from Behind The Scenes Home Inspections, LLP

15 years experience using Homeguage

Overall Homeguage is awesome, but I feel they are falling behind their newer competitors as far as web report presentation, reporting and appointment scheduling capabilities.

Pros

I love the excellent consumer support. I love the "Smart Text" time saving functionality of Homeguage comment writing when using the HG Companion software. I love the cloud service.

Cons

I am unhappy with the inability to truly have an online scheduler on my home inspection website. I used their "old" online scheduler for years, until they stopped supporting it. Homeguage keeps promising a new truly online scheduler, but keep missing their promise dates by years. I finally switched to ISN software for scheduling, and I will never go back!! I wish Homeguage would integrate their "Request List" feature for clients and Realtors into ISN's third party report delivery. "HG Services" are overpriced for what they have to offer.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

At the time it was the most high tech, and the most time saving when doing inspections.

Jacob from Total Inspections

Highly recommended

Homegauge software is so reliable that I have not had to "think" about my report software for many years, allowing me of focus on company growth. The software is reliable, customer service is friendly and helpful allowing my to focus on my clients needs first.

Pros

This software is easy to learn, easy to use, easy to customize to your needs. Report delivery and integrated customer reviews is very useful. Customer service is friendly and helpful.

Cons

The software/user dashboard is not friendly for multi-inspector firms. There are no "permissions" options to allow various amounts of access. Example, owner would have access to all the features, reports for all inspectors, all inspectors calendars, access to all contacts. Inspectors would have limited access to only their reports and calendar, with no access to company contacts or customization options. Due to the limitation, I have chosen to send reports outside of HG, which then limits my clients use of some of the HG features that I really like.

William from Evergreen Property Inspectors

Solid package of services to manage our business

Love it. Fast customer support, solid stable program, clients love the final product (report), Speed/ease of use. We use their other add-on services such as website design- just a great overall package and I feel its our secret weapon when I hear other inspectors complaining about their various programs they have to tie together.

Pros

Laser focused on primary needs of a home inspection business. Report writing, scheduling, invoicing and payment processing, online report delivery... Customization and adaptable as the company has grown.

Cons

It took a few months to get really good at the software, but now that we know how to use it, we are very quick and efficient.

Reasons for Choosing HomeGauge

Overall package of items we can get through one vendor. We have stuck with this vendor for a number of years but keep our eyes open on the industry.

Jonathan from Dooley Home Inspection

Few flaws

It's helping get the job done.

Pros

It's integration with Invoicing, payment and scheduling.

Cons

The glitch in transferring auto diagrams/pictures from companion to desktop. The time it takes to find Auto comments, missing search feature. The ordering of comments takes too long. The little glitches in the scheduling software when you have to go back and correct something I mistyped. Texas Template causes comments to run together and get split between pages

Reasons for Switching to HomeGauge

Didn't want to finish on site.