What are XMind users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using XMind software through verified user reviews

• icon"I love that there is also support for the mobile apps so that one can work while on the go."
  • icon"I like its brainstorming mode as well because this makes my group assignment meeting more effective."
  • icon"The pricing is effective as there are separate desktop and mobile apps, though it's preferrable to go for the desktop+mobile package as it costs just a bit more than the desktop subscription."
  • icon"Export options are limited - doesn't have a native Mac app."
  • icon"The Mac version still does not support smooth scrolling via Mouse/Touchpad. It makes it frustrating to navigate the mindmap."
  • icon"XMind can be slow at times and it can crawl and drag if your file is too big. Sometimes d&d files make a mess if you miss the mark."

Browse all XMind Reviews

• Have you used XMind and would like to share your experience with others?

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Excellent if you don't need all the bells and whistles of top end mind mapping tools

Julian

Industry: Publishing

Great package for mind-mapping and planning your work

I use it for mind-mapping my articles, presentations, and books. It's a powerful simple tool for that. And can form the basis of a great Prezi layout if you use the clip art. Mostly I like that it's a fast way for me to scope and think about an article or book. I typically use the 4MAT model (as originally developed by Bernice McCarthy in 1980) which creates a 4 way mind-map, starting with WHY in the top right quadrant then WHAT in the lower right, HOW in the lower left and continuing clockwise to create a branch about IF? in the top left quadrant. The WHY is all about "Why should people read/know/care about this?", then WHAT is it that I want them to know/do/feel, and HOW do they do this, then finally the IF? is all about What if? What if I (the reader) do this and it works or doesn't work? What if the next step is ... ? What if it everyone knew/did/felt this? 'What if?' is designed to stimulate the thinking processes based on the Why, What, How of the article/book/presentation. 4MAT is a good process and worth learning more about. I start with these 4 trees on the mind-map but the results can cover hundreds of branches as each branch stimulates new ideas. Sometimes I also use it for building models for presentations. Other times for organizational charts or taxonomies. And sometimes I just data-dump a brainstorm of ideas for whatever I'm working on. The clip art and ability to use straight or curved lines, and format text as I like helps for communication also.

Pros

I've trialled or used a lot of mind mapping software and this is the one that I stick with. Mostly because it has two big criteria that I look for: 1. Ease of use - fast and intuitive 2. Flexibility - I can use a range of shapes and even the included clip art or my own images. I love that it's also available on IOS devices but so far, have been content to use it mostly on my Mac. I'm using XMind 8 Update 8 Pro via a license with Setapp (a subscription service that aggregates 200+ apps for $10/mth). I use enough of the Setapp utilities and apps that Xmind is basically free for me and that's just another big plus.

Cons

Nothing to dislike really. It ticks all the boxes for me. If anything, my main gripe would be that it's not as well known as some other software so it took me a while to find it. It was via the Setapp subscription that I first found it but it is now also in the Apple App Store.

Clarwin

Perfect for Brainstorming and Organizing Ideas

xMind is a very useful application for brainstorming, organizing, and connecting ideas. Great ideas happen all the time inside your marvelous brain. But often and rather very quickly, these ideas fly away and are forgotten. Pen and paper works, but a digital version of mindmapping will help a lot with extra features (e.g., auto-arrange, backup, themes, gantt-chart view, presentation, easy sharing, etc.)

Pros

Mindmapping helps me to be creative, to organize and connect my ideas into an easily readable format. xMind has been my go-to mindmapping software for this. I'm using version 8, and it has a much better UI (than other similar apps). The Pro features like Gantt-Chart helps me to use it for Project Implementations. The Walk-through (Presentation Mode) is great for presentation during meetings. It also allows to export to multiple formats like Jpg, pdf, etc. Also, backup using xMind Cloud works great for backup and easy sharing. There are many pre-installed themes to make your mindmaps look formal or fun, or colorful, etc. There are similar apps which are Cloud-based, but I prefer to have xMind, which is installed locally and available for use offline (since I'm not always connected to the Internet).

Cons

I'm using xMind on a Macbook, but it seems that up to now, smooth scrolling is not yet fixed by their devs. This has been brought up since 2014 (you may Google it) but still not supported. It's a shame because for me, Mac has the best touch pad/scrolling. On the other hand, I've used xMind in Windows and it scrolls smoothly using the trackpad/mouse with no problems.

Aivars

September 2022

Desktop Xmind is better as Online

XMind is a very good, user-friendly application. I would have continued with it. However, the online offer did its job

Pros

Desktop Xmind was initially free Understandable, user-friendly interface Easy to export, import

Cons

Desktop Xmind was initially free, then the online version was pushed This transition prompted the move to Mind Mapping Software by MindManager

XMind's desktop version was free

Reasons for switching to XMind

XMind's desktop version was free

Benoit

Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

Très mauvais logiciel !!! NE PAS TELECHARGER !

Exécrable !

Pros

A un très gros potentiel, c'est vraiment dommage qu'il soit impossible de sauvegarder ses informations.

Cons

Beaucoup trop d'instabilité (perte de sauvegardes, de données, d'images, etc) ! Ce logiciel ne permet pas de créer de véritable carte mentale professionnelle comme indiqué dans les publicités. Je déconseille très très fortement ! Impossible de l'utiliser de manière correct ! C'est une vraie honte que de vendre ce logiciel comme étant un outil de travail alors que sa capacité d'utilisation véritable ne dépasse pas Paint !

Yogesh

September 2022

Best mind mapping and brainstorming software

Pros

XMind is the best mind mapping and brainstorming software. It's very easy to use and can be used for capturing ideas, consolidating information, clarifying complex problems. As a Software Testing professional, Blogger I have found this Software very useful.

Cons

As of today haven't experienced any issues.

Alejandro

The best program to portray your ideas

An Amazing tool to create mindmaps for your professional but also personal goals/projects. Very useful mainly for team project management.

Pros

All the team can have access to the same mindmap and work there at the same time. The way to present the ideas make the tool approachable, intuitive and legible.

Cons

It takes time to open the files, sometimes freezes for quite a long time or is slow uploading some URL's, files, etc.

Easy to use Mind Mapping

Use it for organising everything from work to planning my own projects.

Pros

Easy to set up and use with formats for different default mind maps. Easy to link to multiple sheets and set up larger and more complex maps.

Cons

Upgrade path and options for staying on previous version. Also having to have a subscription to export to other versions and other document types.

Industry: Investment Management

Free your mind from all the clutter

Pros

Mind mapping in general is great way of unleashing the power of our brains! XMind is just a wonderful and easy-to-use software that can facilitate this work. It comes with all the useful features like auto-arrange, adding comments, icons, and it comes with many user templates to begin with. XMind can import your mindmaps to several formats (freemind, pdf, png/jpg, etc). I also love the brainstorming mode, and the presentation mode which I've frequently used for business meetings.

Cons

Too sad that XMind Cloud closed down. But it's ok since I can just save my xmind files on my shared drive. Also, the icons get easily pixelated when the mindmap is zoomed in or when printing in larger scale.

Simisara

One of the most versatile tool to create quick mindmaps

Good tool in the price range offered. They have a trial version too. Ability to add notes via audio upload and hyperlink so that notes can be added to each nodes.

Pros

Easy to use with quick drag-drop options Prebuilt template to choose from Ability to share via various means like file upload, public link, etc.

Cons

When relationships are to be defined it auto populates another floating topic which has to be manually deleted, which makes it a bit slow to work with initially.

Danny

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

XMind has revolutionized how I brainstorm and plan strategy for my business

Pros

Mind Mapping not a completely new concept, but XMind makes it incredibly simple to change the way you brainstorm. You immediately jump into a blank map and with very easy shortcut keys you can start dropping all of your ideas onto a page. Everything is easy to move around, connect to other ideas, or add notes to. They have added great colors and icons to help sort your ideas. It is also very affordable for the pro version with a one time payment fee.

Daniele

December 2021

Ottimo per il mindmap

Creo con facilità brain-storming e mindmap utili a visualizzare il lavoro da fare. Perfetta anche la view outiline per semplificare grafi che col tempo diventano molto complessi

Pros

Software veloce, pulito, bello esteticamente, con tanti template e tanta scelta di temi. Perfetto per le mappe mentali e per organizzare le idee

Cons

Non sono un'amante dei software in abbonamento ed essendo Xmind con questa tipologia di acquisto, la cosa mi disturba non poco. Bisogna dire che esiste però anche la possibilità di usarlo gratuitamente con alcune limitazioni (le principali riguardano l'export del lavoro)

Debbie

Fabulous for Capturing and Organizing Ideas and Processes

XMind is where I keep all my strategic plans in mind map format. It's hugely helpful for me to have a visual record of what I'm planning and how far I've got with the implementation. My mind maps include several which detail action steps, as well as different ones for specific strategies and tactics. Once I have a mind map, I have a route to follow, and it helps me to avoid spending time on distractions. Mind maps keep me focused and XMind is so easy to use that I don't resist making plans, writing them down, and getting them done.

Pros

I love that XMind is so easy to use and yet so powerful. I remember thinking that it was very intuitive when I first tried it out, and as I use it more and more, I'm discovering that it's also surprisingly powerful. I like that it's very quick to jot down my ideas and move them around to make them fit more logically into a sequence. I use the XMind Pro version which also offers a brainstorming feature which I use for catching all my thoughts before I know exactly how I want to organize them. Once I've figured that out, it's easy to move my ideas into the mind map. This is great for the way I work because I have so many thoughts and ideas and now I have a way to corral them until I can use them. The presentation mode is very helpful, too, when I want to showcase only a part of the mind map for a client meeting, for instance. I can turn various sections of my mind map into slides which makes a large mind map much more manageable when it comes to explaining what I've been working on. I also love that it comes with a Gantt Chart display which I can use to assign all the tasks on my mind map to team members, complete with deadlines and priorities.

Cons

There are two versions of XMind - the Pro which is desktop-based, and XMind 2021 which also includes a mobile version. The two versions are slightly different in their functions and which one you choose depends very much on your needs. In my case, I wanted various aspects of both versions - the presentation mode, the brainstorming mode and the mobile mode and that combination means that I would have needed to buy both versions which is frustrating. In the end I went for XMind 8 Pro and am happy with it.

Lots of features to like, but don't like pricing

I used to love XMind and recommend it to everyone, but since they introduced the subscription charges and stopped allowing people to upgrade from previous versions, unless it was the one immediately previous to the new version, I just had to call it a day. There are other tools around that are more affordable and don't require subscriptions.

Pros

Having used many mindmapping tools over the years I came to XMind expecting just more of the same. I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to the usual features you'd expect of a mindmapping tool it has a plethora of additional features, some of them unique to XMinds, which takes its usability to the next level. I particularly liked the ability to drill down into specific nodes of the mindmap and create additional sub-mindmaps using those nodes as the central point. That is so cool. I also liked the availability of a large number of flags and icons that could be easily added to a mindmap. Not only did this brighten things up, but it helped to color-code the map to match my particular needs.

Cons

There are two things I don't like about XMind. Firstly, I am a Mac user and XMind doesn'd do a good job of following the standard Mac user interface. It feels very much like a PC application that has been made to run on a Mac. This is a shame as it makes it a little clunky to use on a Mac I feel. Secondly, XMind has some weird pricing that seems to have change over the years. At one time I found it to be an affordable alternative to other tools such as Mindjet (which is stupidly expensive). Unfortunately, XMind seems to have complicated its offerings and for some of them gone down the subscription route, which I think is offensive for a desktop application that requires no online services or access. I don't rent cans of beans or chairs in my house, so I object to having to rent software.

Ricky

Mind mapping & Organizing At It’s Best!

Overall XMind has allowed to plan out my goals and strategize various campaigns with ease. Before using this software I would just keep ideas and plans in my head or write them down in an assortment of note books and loose paper. This approach worked for a while until I started misplacing and losing critical documents. Using XMind gives me the luxury of having all my rough ideas, plans, and strategies stored digitally on my computer, which I then can backup to various different sources for an added layer of protection.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is it’s ability for me to take my thoughts & ideas and organize them visually in way that makes achieving my personal or project goals and objectives more structured and easy to follow.

Cons

What I liked least about this software is the overall look and feel of the earlier versions that I was implementing before finally updating my software package. In my opinion the graphic user interface was very dated and reminded me of software programs released in the early 2000’s.

Reasons for choosing XMind

I chose XMind over the alternative which was Mind8 for Windows because when compared tick for tack, XMind has way more useful features and is very easy to get up and running without wondering what this or that button does. Mind8 on the other hand lacks in features and ease of use.

Chuojun

XMind review by Tang

When I did the summary for the literature review, it helps me to understand the abstract concept of sociology literature by assisting to manage complex information. The biggest gain and improvement during reading is actually in this process from a confused mind to a clear mind, so XMind plays a significant role in my uni-study. Also, it comes in handy, it saves me a ton of time! It definitely helps to enrich the presentation of my mind map and make it more vivid and intuitive than the ones I did on papers. I really recommend XMind for those who just on the way of learning mind mapping!

Pros

The interface of XMind is simple so it is very easy to get started, it comes in handy with keyboard shortcuts that’s what I like most about Xmind. Allowing users to capture their ideas freely in a handy way and express intuitively is extremely important for a mind mapping software, and XMind makes it! I like those makers and the colour coding support features, which really assists to identify and classify information. I like its brainstorming mode as well because this makes my group assignment meeting more effective. Also, it supports multiple platforms and I can export the mind maps into Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, PDF documents. This enables users to share their mind maps with others and promote team collaboration.

Cons

When it comes to what I like least about XMind, there is actually little problems. The first one is that I can not add more marker in one topic and the second is that I can not move those main topics very freely. What’s more, I suppose the branch customization(such as line width) can be improved or more choices for different nodes. The startup speed is a bit slow, sometimes it would freeze, it would be good if this can be improved.

Josemaria

Full-featured Mindmap Tool

Xmind and Mindmapping (in general) is a must for everybody. It helps one to organize our brains that's full of ideas. It just comes out naturally as we connect nodes of concepts/ideas. Pro features are worth the price you pay for (e.g., brainstorming mode, presentation mode, gantt chart view). Sharing and backup is not a problem. And it allows you to sync across different devices (smartphone, laptop). The export feature is A+ as well. It allows for easy conversion to high-res images, to pdf, to freemind (other mindmap formats).

Pros

Xmind helps me organize my ideas into a mindmap that is easy to manage (add, remove, connect nodes). The presentation feature is very helpful whenever I use my mindmap as a storyboard outline during meetings. I likewise use this app for Project Management. All project elements are mapped out and there's even a feature to put checkboxes, brainstorming, and gantt chart view. The Windows version works flawlessly (scrolling etc.). For the Mac version, see below.

Cons

The Mac version still does not support smooth scrolling via Mouse/Touchpad. It makes it frustrating to navigate the mindmap. This has been reported a few years back, but still the same. Support/Dev team doesn't seem to be listening to public clamor.

XMind is more than just a mind mapping tool. It's everything I need in a productivity tool.

XMind is very good tool with self explanatory UI. With the complete set of templates for various requirements, presentation mode to have a brainstorm session with the team, gantt chart mode for project management (just like Microsoft Project), embedding picture/audio/attachment in the node, export to pdf or image, It really helps me to complete my daily job in gathering requirements, discussion with the team, brainstorming, presentation and project management. I only wish that the mobile version is provided without subscription fee when we have purchased the desktop version.

Pros

This application runs cross platforms. It works on my Mac, Windows machine also mobile devices. It has different kind of templates (mind map, org chart, logic chart, design, presentation mode, gantt chart mode for project management). What I like the most is I can also use it as a brainstorming tool for the development work as I can drop the node freely anywhere by clicking on the empty space. I can also easily add the flexible connection arrow between nodes. It also provide the export functionality to different type of files such as image, PDF and html.

Cons

The performance of the startup is very slow. It may take minutes sometime to load the application. Because of this, everytime I start my computer, I need to make sure I open the application to have it standby all the time.

Nichole

Quick, simple, easy to understand

I can illustrate complex processes quickly in a short amount of time. When I show my mindmaps to coworkers they're impressed and can easily understand the concept I'm trying to get across, which is a timesaver when we're trying to brainstorm the process behind a complicated project.

Pros

I like being able to illustrate complex processes quickly and simply. I use XMind often when brainstorming how to complete a project or show visually how a process works to my coworkers. It's easy to learn, and even the free version gives us enough options that it meets our needs. I was introduced to mindmapping by a coworker a couple of years ago, which is how I found XMind, and have used it frequently ever since.

Cons

Sometimes the layout of the tree you make can look a little strange and there's no way to change it. I wish we had a little more control over the spacing between the boxes and the lines connecting them, as sometimes a box can hang out too far or too close in your tree, and that can make things a little less visually appealing, but overall I don't have any major complaints.

Lucas

Industry: Writing and Editing

Mind mapping should be taken more seriously. This is the mobile tool for learning and applying it

Pros

Mind mapping is a very powerful tool for learning, as it allows me to put my thoughts on paper and actually see complex relations I am making when thinking, but otherwise would not be able to focus on minutiae of the topics because of the need to "sustain" the structure of the train-of-thought on the back of my mind. XMind is the first app for Android that meets the criteria of having all the tiny functions I need to put the thought down exactly as I had it in my mind, and eventually find loopholes and points where a reasoning is weak. This app can be very helpful for someone to find bad habits of thought and biases one has, as they become move evident when placed somewhere that can be analyzed or shared. Mind mapping education should be mandatory for any researcher, writer or public speaker, and this is the most complete tool for mind mappin I found on mobile Also, this app can be used both on PC and Android and is the best mind map creator I have found for the latter (I have tried a few before).

Cons

A feature that should be added (I recognize it might not be easy) is automatic synchronization between different platforms. However, the effort of the development team is evident, by the amount of resources available

Alvaro

Industry: Utilities

Native App for Mindmapping

Mind mapping tools abound. Xmind is my preferred native mind mapping application for its feature set, ease of use for brainstorming, organizing ideas, and even project management.

Pros

I've used XMind for quite some years now and I have seen how much it has matured and the devs keep on refining and adding new features to it. 1. Presentation Mode - I find using Xmind easy for presentations in terms of navigation, options for branch/child expand/collapse or even the focus/blur. 2. Brainstorming Mode - I really love this new feature which helps me and my team to focus on bringing as many ideas as possible without filtering. Xmind facilitates capturing all these ideas into digital form. 3. Xmind Zen is a complete re-write of the Xmind main app. And it is more responsive and modern.

Cons

I wish they would consider my suggestion to save up and maximize screen real estate. The Top and Sidebars take so much space. Also, the icons tend to be too pixelated when zoomed in.

Edo

Industry: Biotechnology

Fantastic software for mind maps, diagrams and simple info-graphic solutions

This software can be used by any sized company. User interface is simple, clean and easy to understand and master it in short period of time. Plenty of options give opportunity for different level of design (from simple diagrams to relatively challenging info-graphics).

Pros

This version of XMIND (v8 update 4) is a fantastic solution for: - mind mapping, - diagrams of different kind, - info-graphics User interface is a nice, clean with adequate number of icons (options) in toolbars (horizontal and vertical) and only one menu bar . Most of options are always available during work and can be accessed immediately when needed. And there are plenty of options. OUTLINE - is full of options, with different filters. TOPIC FORMAT - many options are available (there is place to improve) CLIP ART / ICON FINDER - plenty of media to choose from MARKERS - are made nicely, with several options to choose from THEMES - are nice (there is place to improve) NOTES - are linked to topics, nice feature COMMENTS - are similar to notes but with time when inserted, also linked to topic TASK INFO - sometimes can be of use.

Cons

This program, on my PC (WIN10, 4 Gb RAM), is very slow in some operations, especially loading. Cloud operations can be better defined.

Easy-to-use mind mapping software

I work in program design in the non-profit world. A lot of times this means I need to start from scratch when designing a program. I literally need to gather disparate thoughts and build them into a cohesive whole. Mind map software like Xmind makes this process so much easier by allowing me to visualize what is in my head. Xmind is easy to use and that is what makes it great. The last thing I want to do when starting a large program is learn how to use complex software. I would say 90% of the buttons in the software can be accessed through a right click of the mouse. So convenient!

Pros

I love the ability to right click any of the boxes within my mind map diagram and can quickly change its color, font style, or even change the chart style (wishbone, descending tree). Not having to sift through multiple menus to accomplish these relatively important and repetitive tasks is amazing.

Cons

Some of the most important features, such as sharing the Mind map with others over the internet, are not available with the free version. This is a little disappointing, however understandable. The company wants to motivate you to purchase the full software.

Performance & Reliability woes

Pros

It's a desktop application! This is a boon with the current cult-of-the-cloud (AKA someone else's computer). You can use it offline and navigate&edit quickly with keyboard shortcuts. Fast to use (until you want to save!)

Cons

Performance is a nightmare. The minute you mind maps have any scale they start to take >1minute to save. I have a high-powered Win 10 machine with 24GB of ram and it makes no noticable difference compared to my laptop. This is a problem if you want to save often as It crashes. As the mind maps get larger, xmind tends to crash more often which means you get paranoid about loosing work and have to save more often. When it takes 2mins after a CTRL+S it really takes you out of your flow Newer version are subscription based! Such a shame.

Paphunkkorn

If you need the Easy Drawing Your Mindmap, XMind is one good option

I can easier manage my fishbone ideas and setting them up in printed paper for sharing with our staff

Pros

Very easy to draw my mindmap, can make an isolated spot and decide whether we want to link to any idea or just standalone in that topic issue as well.

Cons

After their last took away the Cloud Platform... It is totally like a robbed buyer, as there is nothing to replace for us. Become a lesser feature since then. They almost a be like a crossed platform, just sometimes there are some Alien Text or different paragraphing issue when you open them on Both Mac and Windows :(

Reasons for choosing XMind

During those time Crossed Platform is my main decision and their former exist Cloud Server for the user is another key changer

Reasons for switching to XMind