All Basecamp Reviews

We use it every day!

Vikram

Staffing and Recruiting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2022

The Best task allocation and monitoring tool available in the market

In remote workplaces, it becomes very difficult to monitor and track the progress of your peers or teammates. Basecamp has been a saviour as it helps us not only monitor and allocate tasks but also becomes a source of communication for internal teams to get the work done. We recommend Basecamp to any IT company which has multiple projects and resources to handle.

PROS

Basecamp has been a great tool for our team as all the projects and tasks are allocated by the managers and peers on this platform and then it becomes easy for everyone to keep a track of it. Basecamp provides an easy communication via threads that make it very convenient to use. We at Wise IT inc have been using basecamp as a project management and collaboration tool and love how it makes our lives easier. It also has a mobile app which makes it more easier to keep a check on your phone when you are away from work.

CONS

Basecamp does not have video conferencing option yet which has become a very important feature for companies that are working from home. Apart form this, I have never faced any problem using Basecamp.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Pricing and features are better for Basecamp compared to other alternatives available.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

The interface of Basecamp is easier than Asana. Also in terms of features, Basecamp currently leads the market.

Ryan

Design, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Great tool, but unfortunately the price is one of the highest values

PROS

Basecamp is an incredibly strong task management tool. Great for small teams. As far as resource management and any medium sized projects basecamp lacks behind its competitors. With all this said, I love basecamp as it is nostalgic for decades now of work that I've been able to implement easy with teams and organizations.

CONS

resource management, alignment, lack of scheduling, confusing interface that forces users to just use search, upgrades and updates... although good, only make it harder to leave and not actually fix needed overhauls.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

sad to say but it was pricing. Now as we've grown we need more value that basecamp cannot keep up with.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

So Asana, was better designed back in 2018 or so, but was also very buggy at the time, and still lacked in scheduling and other areas, we made the switch and have been happy, but now basecamp is needing another overhaul to keep up with alternatives.Sad to say but their pricing model (back then) was unmatched and now they are switching that up to be per user/month like everyone else. I'd suggest they stick in their lane, but alas.

Derrick

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Streamlined Collaboration: Basecamp in Action

PROS

I love how easy Basecamp is to use. It's straightforward to manage tasks, messages, and files. Plus, collaborating with my team is seamless.

CONS

I wish I could adjust features to better suit my team's needs.

1 employee

Reviewed October 2018

I'm not sure if it's the same people on this one, since there are different versions of this gig sw

For the fact that it's an app on a major app store, I would have obviously come across it, for the fact that it was something of some form of various thing that I would come across in categorical and ad hoc searching, as it turns out. Aside from not understanding what the purpose of the software was, based on the description that was included in all of the versions in the App Store, I found it particularly disparaging to the community that they framed the purpose of the app as an occupation and dump in of trucks and trailers, and tons of people from out of town, on any given day, whereas the trailers were there in supposition that they were showers that were provided to the homeless, on one day. On one hand, they're not there every day, but on the other hand, it was a bit strange that this ended up being what the app is about.

PROS

In essence, I suppose that this app seems a bit in opposition to the browsing app store user coming across it and then, at some point, upon trying to understand what the portent of the impact of the software is, fairly soon turns up browsing through more apps, wondering what this app is about; particularly to have 3 release versions of it, at this point in time. Regardless, it turned in to a yellow sign "base camp" social work news article publication thing for the sake of publicizing push material of support for what ended up being a seething attrition for the locals of the area where the "base camp" installment of "obviously, it's on account of the app in the app store thing," and on top of that, there was significant opposition to me as a mental health client recipient of services (supposedly), just tangentially, and for a few times, perhaps, of this art therapy group of people, and then they talked and acted out towards me in my head, outside of any sort of professional or service provider and client circumstances.

CONS

I feel like the spirit of development in software, for the purpose of disparaging the client, of a completely different and separate supposition of relation, whatsoever, in regards to the original purpose of meeting with these developers, is simply wrong and unprofessional. These developers cause a significant problem in a different locality between people who are not housed in downtown Los Angeles, on the incident that happened witnessed, and whatever the story was in my head about what anyone might think about such an influx of people in to the area, which is all too common, in various ways; On top of that, they're plotted right at 222 S. Hill St. 7th floor, Los Angeles, CA, 90012, and they do events of disparagement against me and my family commonly, while trying to suppose that their self esteem is supported and is superior, while homeless and mentally ill bullying and stalking victims are inferior, on account of group brute strength over an individual. They run ostensibly false and slight charity drives for supposedly unfortunate other people.

Jerra L

Consumer Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Task management made super easy

With Basecamp we have been able to achieve an appointment scheduling system for the betterment our service delivery to our clients

PROS

Basecamp is a hit but not a miss. It is simplified, tailored and integrated into an organized easy to use platform. It's comprehensivity stands out for me that it has a range of functionalities that perfectly suit my task management needs. It's straightforward and unified dashboard allow me to keep track of all my clients appointments. Since it is a default communication platform in the salon we use it as a centralized place where we can share new hairstyles and brainstorm on how to achieve each one of it soo it allows for sharing of any file of any format especially pictures which is the most common in our setup. Getting every appointment on calendar helps with scheduling the appointment to make sure there are no double salon appointments on the same time or day

CONS

Honestly I love every bit of Basecamp and have nothing against it

Casey

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2023

The ultimate collab

Basecamp keeps our team moving on time, step by step. We're more efficient and thorough, and we don't miss any details.

PROS

One thing that's really nice about Basecamp is that the monthly price is the same no matter how many usersthe account will need. This means it's much more affordable especially for larger teams or companies. There's also a version of Basecamp that can be used for free, incase you'd like to try it out first.Setting up Basecamp was almost effortless. The Ul is so intuitive and helpful. Integrating Basecamp with other services is supported and may be done quickly without a complicated setup. Guest accounts are available and they add flexibility. Basecamp keeps all team members updated on events, deadlines, announcements, approvals, etc. Teams can manage projects, tasks, and ideas in one platform.It's looking to be the best collaboration app I've had.

CONS

I'm disappointed to see that time tracking and Gantt charts were not included, however I still think we're thriving with Basecamp. I'd also like to be able to leave our team communication app behind and only use Basecamp.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Zoho projects lacked proper tools and customer support.

Kevin

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed May 2021

Basecamp for Teams

We have started and completed close to 150 projects in Basecamp; crossing every department in our organization. It has helped us keep people informed, keep tasks on target, and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner. Their help system is very detailed. It seems like most reviewers just can not find it. https://3.basecamp-help.com/ We are very pleased with the product, but we want to see more enhancements coming, and more often. The product desperately needs sublists, priorities, milestones, and very tight integration with Office 365. We would also like to see the use of templates. Anything from planning a canoe trip to launching a new retail store would be very helpful. Overall, it is a great product, but we may outgrow it if enhancements are not added. If some of these features do not come soon, it may drive long-standing customers away from the product.

PROS

We have been using Basecamp for 7 years now. What we liked at first was the simple design and speed at which you can learn the product. You can be up, running and have a project underway in less than 10 minutes. It checked all the boxes initially. Simple to use, ability to create project groups and associated tasks, assign users, and dates, and attach files. In Basecamp 3 they added grouped tasks within the parent list, and the ability to assign multiple people to a single task.

CONS

Basecamp needs sublists, priorities, and milstones. They also need to build a native integration completely into Office 365. Instead of fighting it, embrace Office 365 Sharepoint, Onedrive, and Teams.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was far simpler to use, less expensive, had all the features we needed, and none that we didn't. We just needed a simple to use, and well-thought-out management tool.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Prior to switching the company used a very simple excel list. Excel was too static and not the ideal use of the product.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Game Changer

At first, I was skeptical that BaseCamp would be any different than other software we used (e.g., Trello & Slack), but the immediate difference when we went live was noticeable. As a company leader, I instantly noticed product market fit as the team embraced using BaseCamp as their preferred means of managing tasks, communication, and projects without top-down pressure. We haven't looked back since and it enabled us to work effectively as an entirely remote team before, during, and after the pandemic.

PROS

Assigning task ownership, deadlines, to-do, and the card management system for kanban/pull processes.

CONS

I want to get more out of the timeline feature. It's a great idea, but I haven't been able to leverage it for project management timeline communication effectively.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

It was challenging to keep track of workflow, deadlines, and communication between team members and projects.

Grace

Retail, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed August 2023

Basecamp facilitates coordination and communication in projects

Basecamp has been an excellent tool for keeping track of everything that needs doing. Users can look through their tasks, add comments, and send alerts to the people in charge of the projects.

PROS

It's user-friendly, facilitates collaboration across geographic distances, lets you draft and share papers with your team, and features a clock to track attendance.

CONS

Basecamp remains competitive with other project management software options because it provides most of the features necessary to successfully oversee a project.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Among the many problems it addresses is that of communication, as well as clocking in and out, file sharing, note taking, and the like.

Angela

Graphic Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

The free versions is great and anyone and use

Great for small projects with minimal milestones.

PROS

It doesn't require any training for new users to jump on the platform to view their tasks and deadlines and communicate within the project.

CONS

Very difficult to project management across dozens of milestones when compared to Asana or SmartSheet.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Its free and super easy for anyone to use without training since we only use it to assign a task with defined deadline.

Kate

Internet, 201-500 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Easy, Affordable Project Management for Your Entire Team

Since we started using Basecamp, our project intake process has become much more organized and it's way easier to see what everyone has on their plate. It's also helped us get approval from key stakeholders since everyone at every step of every project has to-dos assigned to them. I also love the integrations. We sync with Everhour so we can keep track of exactly how long it takes to complete each step of each project, which has helped us become more efficient and also see where we're spending our time.

PROS

I love how intuitive Basecamp is to use and how easy it is to keep track of upcoming projects and set priorities. I'm new to project management and it's been so easy to set up every project and teach new employees how to navigate the system. You can set different projects for different teams and even invite clients to view projects. Plus, you don't have a limited number of seats so everyone in our organization can access it without us needing to purchase anything additional.

CONS

There are too many places to communicate within Basecamp so it's important that you have a clear process. You can comment on an overall project thread, a group and in each individual to-do so sometimes it's hard to tell where a comment is located. However, it does show you which to-dos have comments within them and there are easy-access notifications at the top of your screen at all times so as long as comments are recent, they're easy to find.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

We did free trials of each option and Basecamp was the easiest to use and the most intuitive. We were all comfortable using it and thought it would be the best option for us as the company grew since we could add people to the team easily.

Ellie

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2019

A Really Good Project Management Tool!

Bringing Basecamp into the organization wasn’t difficult. The system was easy and simple to integrate. My team loves it! We hare very satisfied with Basecamp.

PROS

Prior to basecamp, my organization was unorganized and working organically, there was no structure or timelines to our projects. Basecamp brought all that and MORE! It’s so simple to use and assign team members the tasks. It has a great user interface structure. There’s not a day that goes by where I’m not on Basecamp. It made such a positive impact in my organization!

CONS

When it comes to tracking, Basecamp doesn’t give a good overview of this. You need to consistent check what tasks have been completed and which ones aren’t. I hope they make an improvement on the Gantt Charts along with full project reports!

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp’s price and overall system is what my team needed. Wrike is great but a bit too “intense” for my team.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Wrike was a great tool but lacked the ability to collaborate that Basecamp offers with its message boards and campfire.

Clayton

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2020

Hands-down my favorite project management software

I really love Basecamp. It is simple, powerful, and gets out of your way so you can get work done. It has replaced about three other apps (including Slack) for our team. In Basecamp communication is now centered on getting things done and improving our products versus just chatting. There is an ideology to understand when using Basecamp but if you can adopt that you will be more productive and less stressed about getting work done.

PROS

Very affordable especially considering how many other solutions it replaces. Very clean minimal interface that gets out of your way and lets you get work done. Very fast and reliable. The mobile app is fantastic as well.

CONS

There is a little bit of a learning curve with the single page interface but that is be design.

Ideology and price.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

We needed a new system that was focused on action and not just words. A single source of truth.

Terrance

Management Consulting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2020

Recommended - Use it daily

We use Basecamp almost on a daily basis. It is fantastic for managing our team and different partners. Our operations side has also been thrilled with the lists that Basecamp provides. Makes it easy for managers to see what has been completed

PROS

Basecamp is well suited for project management. I've used Trello historically but it never had the same degree of functionality. I love the fact that I can have lists, easily collaborate with others and make it almost like a task force that I can assign to various people on our tea.m It was easy enough to implement and also great if you need to hit the ground running since the learning curve is virtually non existant.

CONS

I use Basecamp 2 and the part I like least about the software is that within the cards itself, I can't @person to provide updates. I can assign various cards to specific people but can't call out specific individuals in those cards.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Trello is limited to kanban boards. We needed to have different views and basecamp was able to provide that at a cost that we could afford.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Features and functionality. Trello is great if you like the kanban approach but we needed something that had more features.

Shannon

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2021

Feature Rich and Effective for Project Management

I signed up for Basecamp to work within a client's Basecamp processes, and now I use it to manage most everything that I work on in collaboration with others. It makes a lot of sense and is intuitive once you accustom to how the projects and to-do lists work.

PROS

The ability to add clients to a project and hide them from information within the project is SO handy. We use that feature a lot for internal to-dos and managing the client without them seeing behind-the-scenes.

CONS

To-do lists are pretty basic. You can assign to a person and add a date, but if you are used to feature-rich todo lists (embedded images, color coding, sub-checklists in a to-do, etc) then you will be disappointed. And although I find the "me" tab easy and intuitive, when we add new members to a project they almost universally struggle in the first weeks to really use Basecamp to its highest functionality.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I switched over to Basecamp because it's what my clients were using. That said, I still use Trello for my personal projects and there is a lot of Trello functionality that is done better over there, and vice-versa. It really depends on the project whether I use Trello or Basecamp.

Chuck

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Basecamp is irreplaceable! Trust me, we actually tried too Lol!

We use base camp for each department. Every team has their own project. Within each project is every teams important training documents documents, files, and weekly tasks. We use the ping feature for group messages. It has made file sharing very easy. Many of our documents have to be referenced by several different at various times throughout the year. Basecamp makes it simple to keep up with these documents.

PROS

Basecamp has been an amazing product for us for years now! It allows us to manage projects in events by keeping to do lists, files, and instructions all in one place.The team I manage uses it to assign tasks, communicate between team members and keep up with conversations so we can reference them later, and , keep track of files and receipts. Every document and system that our team members need access to can be attained in one place. There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it.

CONS

There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it. There are really only two things that I dislike about Basecamp but I’ve learned to live with them for now. 1.). There is a great variety of ways to send communication. You can send a ping (which is kind of like an instant message), You can make a comment on the general message board of each project, you can comment on the calendar item, you can comment on the task item itself, and you can comment on individual files you add. At first it seems real handy but once you start adding multiple projects it can sometimes be difficult to go back and figure out where a conversation happened. Thankfully the search icon works rather well in these instances but not always. The way we have gotten around this is to make sure our Team is clearly instructed on what features we will use to communicate various kinds of information. 2.) there is a feature called haystack. This functions as your personal inbox letting you know what due dates are approaching, what tasks were recently assigned, and what conversations have happened recently that you need to be part of. However, once you click on an item it disappears immediately from your inbox. So when you see something important, you need to respond or add a personal to do immediately. I wish it didn’t delete until you told it to delete like a normal email inbox. This way you could come back to the message and deal with it at a better time.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

We originally used base camp for years. About four years ago we tried office 365. We found that the same small problems we had with Basecamp, we also had with Microsoft. However they were much more confusing. Unlike base camp, Microsoft separates its features and to several different apps. For files they have one drive. For communication they have teams. And for everything else they have SharePoint which kind of combined them all together. What we found was this was more confusing for our team as a whole especially for the project managers themselves. With Basecamp you select the project you want to work on and everything you need for that project is there. The mobile app pretty much has most of the same features as the desktop version which is a plus. We kept teams for about a year and then went back to base camp. We still have an office 365 account but use it mostly for Word and Excel documents and online questionnaires

Melanie Latrelle

Design, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed August 2022

So glad I found Basecamp!!

I've had a great experience with Basecamp. I've collaborated with a number of projects on this tool and it's been essential in managing my projects. Since I'm in the growing phases of my business, I SO glad they have a free feature that allows me to use 3 free projects. Once I reach a level where I have a team and I'm serving more clients, then I can see myself getting the Basecamp paid plan. Thank you for offering such a great product!

PROS

Another designer recommended Basecamp for managing web design projects. This product allows me to keep everything for my client projects in one place! I like being able to collaborate with clients on a timeline and assigning them tasks. The chat feature is very helpful. I like that we can upload all their documents and even link to Google documents. The mobile is very useful for doing business on the go. I can really stay organized with Basecamp and it keeps me accountable with timelines. I love that I can make it client-facing so there is a level of transparency on timelines. I can use this tool to do all communications with clients and not have a string of emails to go through.

CONS

I've been going back and forth with the documents section and if I should use Google Drive to store documents or if I should use Basecamp. People are most familiar with Google Drive, however when I educate and train them on how to use Basecamp, then it will help them be more comfortable with navigating the software. I would like training videos for clients to be able to get an overview of how to get the most of Basecamp while working together. If Basecamp doesn't have a video overview, then this will be something that I can work on.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp has an easy to use interface. It allows me to share design mockups, email and live chat with clients (I've used this messaging feature a lot), store documents and keep projects on timeline. I really like the home page dashboard for each project. It's SO clear and easy to understand! Each section is labeled clearly and easy to use.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

It was recommended to my by another designer and she said she used it for everything related to her projects. I was sold when she said she didn't email clients anymore! I was like YES! This is what I need. I get annoyed with the lost email chains and I wanted an all in one tool where I could email the client and also email designs and mockups. Asana didn't do well with emailing images to clients. They were blurry and hard to find on the email.

Joanna