• Pros

• "I like how fast and reliable it is for your computer. I like being able to have different users. It does everything you need a software to use for managing your firm."

• "It organizes all of our legal documents, and the data is solid. No data issues so far. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to find clients and the files you saved in there. "

• "Overall Prolaw is a nice piece of software. There are very few packages out there that integrate front office and back office. Particularly for accounting. Its a one-stop shop for us. "

• Cons

• "It is very old school looking- looks like it was made in 2004. It is buggy at times and gets hung up on certain routine tasks. "

• "It contains every user function you can thing of. Creating SQL advanced reports is difficult."

• "Nothing! I suppose the only thing I could wish for is that the CLEs were free?"

Browse ProLaw Reviews

Alice from SSL

Easy to use and practical.

Pros

It's search capabilities, the multiple things that can be managed in one software. The auto spell complete feature.

Cons

We might have an older version - but I think the look appearance overall should be more modern. Maybe easier accessibility from feature to feature instead of having to go to the main page each time - maybe you can always have a quick menu option no matter what you are currently working on. For example if I'm entering time summaries why do I have to minimize each window to get to the main dialog box with the main menu as opposed to having the option to go to contacts right on the toolbar that I have while working on time summaries. Even having a tab feature such as web browsers do - to make multi tasking easier.

Darrington from Goldberg & Osborne

Industry: Law Practice

Great vision for a converged legal platform, but clearly under-resourced

We need a unified platform for all data entry and consumption that understands the legal business. ProLaw does that well. It allows us to maintain a high standard of data integrity, provide a large degree of automation, and develop solutions on top of a central "hub" that everyone understands. The vision is great, the implementation is not so great. The people are great, the company is not so great. If you have good IT support, It's great. If not, well...

Pros

Centralized data management is very powerful. No other solution provides CMS, DMS, Document Assembly, Calendaring, Routing, Cost Management, Accounting, Billing/Collections, and Groupware Integration all in one platform. ProLaw allows us to have all front office and back office work in one system. Reducing the need for duplication of effort, and reducing the possible errors caused by that effort. ProLaw is that it gives us the choice to remain on-premises (or in private cloud) meaning we maintain 100% control over our clients data. Are not held hostage by all the problems inherent with software-as-a-service solutions. Importantly, ProLaw leverages a modern and accessible technology stack. That is very important for customization and integration. I can do what I need, When I need it, and I am not stuck relying on a proprietary support structure to get results. Importantly, ProLaw leverages a modern and accessible technology stack. That is very important for customization and integration. I can do what I need, When I need it, and I am not stuck relying on a proprietary support structure to get results. The Staff at ProLaw is friendly and helpful. They share an enthusiasm for the vision and work hard to deliver the best product possible. They always go out of their way to help achieve customer goals.

Cons

ProLaw is clearly under-resourced, Implementation is buggy and upgrades are a nightmare. While individual Customer service is fantastic, there is a lack of modern support such as self service installers, 64-bit applications, and proper quality assurance. ProLaw can be slow, clunky, and just feels out of date. Controls have no real business validation, As one attorney said, "It looks like something we worked on in collage", referring to the events tree and the clunky custom tabs. There is a real problem with policy over practice at ProLaw. Any deviation from Standard Operating Procedure is a nightmare. this causes almost every interaction to begin on the wrong foot, and long complicated interactions to be a nightmare for all parties involved. There is clearly problem with leadership which causes a strict adherence to an ineffective set of policies. Off-shore outsourcing of Professional Services.

Reasons for Choosing ProLaw

Everything else we saw focused on a single core-competency. ProLaw was the only jack-of-all-trades, stood up on a accessible technology stack, and had a lot of the "DNA" of Legal Files. We could see the vision, and knew we could figure out any problems by leaning on the broader community. being on-prem was a huge consideration as we had just invested heavily in a private cloud, and security/privacy concerns were central.

Kate from Statewide Probate

Haven't found anything better

We haven't found a better solution for our law firm needs, although we always look at new options.

Pros

Prolaw is the gold standard for law firm management and document generation. The front end is user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

The back end is a little tricky. Setting up the document generators is difficult and not always easy to edit. It also times out a lot and loses connection.

Cy from YCR

Opinions on Prolaw

Overall its been pretty solid. We can get the job done and we manage to get through the issues when they come up.

Pros

Cons

There are two overwhelming issues that have been a thorn in our side throughout the years we have owned the software. The first issue being the lack of quality customer service and second, a clunky soviet era interface that never seems to have evolved. I say this with the understanding that there have been substantial improvements on the backend over the years. I can appreciate this as a systems guy, however, a lawyer could care less. The user interface needs to meet the needs of a modern practice like ours. Regarding the customer service issue, we have noticed real improvements over the last 6-9 months. The quality of care and the talent has changed remarkably. We are very grateful for that. We ask that [Sensitive content hidden] continue to make sure there are always enough technicians and resources for their technicians to make sure the client always gets a speedy resolution when possible and always feels like they are good hands and not forgotten about throughout the lifecycle of a more challenging trouble call. On the second issue with the interface, we can only hope that [Sensitive content hidden] is fired up about making significant modernizing improvements to the front-end interface and building out the web and mobile apps to offer as much functionality as possible. I would recommend that [Sensitive content hidden] spends some time reaching our to their customers on a more regular basis, particularly their long term customers to get feedback on how the product is working. The users should drive the direction of the product

All in one gets the job done

We remain with ProLaw because it is highly customizable and offers the best value for a firm our size. We continue to exploit every feature it offers, sometimes even beyond that for which it was designed.

Pros

The best feature of ProLaw is only having to learn one program. We use it for our document management, case management and deadline management. That translates into a time savings and shorter learning curve for new hires since we are only training on one piece of software.

Cons

It is buggy, you have to live with the bugs for years until you can determine that the newest release of the product has been thoroughly vetted before adopting it to solve old issues. When updates come out there are invariably new bugs introduced.

Johnston from Keller Rohrback LLP

No software is perfect, but there are a few things with ProLaw that should be addressed more quickly

Pros

1) Easy to use and understand the flow of data (but see con #1) 2) General customer support has good turn around times (but see con #4) 3) Ability to write your own MSSRS reports (if you know SQL programming language! NOT easy to learn)

Cons

I should pre-phrase this by saying that we are on an older version of ProLaw. 1) Regularly has hiccups where we have to shut it down and reopen it to make it work properly - for simple things like invoice postings. (May be fixed on newer version) 2) Has problems that can't be fixed so we have to come up with some workaround such as comparison reports and then from those results making manual journal entries. (May be fixed on newer version) 3) Background tables get out of sync more often than we'd like requiring contact with Customer Support to fix (I'm told is fixed on a newer version) 4) Simple changes to reports are now "billable services" so it can get expensive. (Unlikely to be different on the newer versions) 4) Font size is too small for some users and is unchangeable (No changes on newer version) 5) Customer Support sometimes doesn't know how to fix problem, so it's a try this, try that scenario which is time consuming and annoying. Sometimes it fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't.

John from Bacon Wilson, P.C.

ProLaw 2017.1

ProLaw is all you'll need for your legal practice. Easy to use and functionality is superb. The interface is easy to read, making it easy to use. I was able to navigate the application pretty easily with limited training. Having an all in one system, allows the firm to have access to front and back office information with a few clicks.

Pros

I have the capability to run a report for client information at your fingertips is what I like most. This allows the firm to keep up with their clients and allows you to follow-up with running a simple report

Cons

Profiling documents seem to have gone backwards. The process to profile a document takes longer than the old platform. It's easier to just open the matter you'd like to save to and drag and drop. Also, report writing is such a process, it forces you to have ProLaw complete most of the report writing tasks.

Reasons for Choosing ProLaw

Having one database was the one thing that really stood out from the others back in 2012.

Terri from Denenberg Tuffley, PLLC

Less Paper - Law Firm

As the title says - - - less paper!

Pros

Our firm uses this product as a true practice management tool. We use front and back office modules. ProLaw has allowed us to be an almost paperless law firm. Everything goes into ProLaw and we have true digital files/matters. We recently went through an audit with one of our clients and were able to provide limited access to the client. They loved ProLaw! I spent 15 - 20 training them on how to access documents and they had no problems going forward.

Cons

There are some features that need some work, but in comparison to other programs it is still the best practice/document/billing management program going for law firms.

Brandie from Allen Summers Simpson Lillie & Gresham

Industry: Law Practice

Prolaw was wonderful, but then they UPGRADED now it runs slow and doesn't play well with the other programs that we use

Earlier versions of Prolaw were great - - before their latest updates. Now it it really a pain there are functions that require you to basically -- go around the block to cross the street!

Pros

online file management program is awesome. just like having a paper file with everything in its place.

Cons

Following their latest updates, it is slow to start and causes other programs to freeze up or not work at all. By other programs, I mean things you need, like Word and Outlook

Charles from MacLean Law

Industry: Law Practice

ProLaw not worth the money

VERY unsatisfactory.. would NOT advise anyone use this Frankenstein collection of poorly coded modules.

Pros

Many features promised. Competent support staff

Cons

Navigation, utility, lack of compatibility / comparability restrictions, numerous bugs / errors that have yet to be addressed. Overall software is an utter shambles of committee designed modules that integrate poorly, bugs and errors are numerous and fixes take forever. It has caused staff to quit and has adversely affected the over functioning of our offices.

Rogelio from Katz Law Office

A Solid Software to kee track of your cases

I used Pro Law for years at my law firm. I have to say that during the time I used it one of the best things was that we were able to install it on the computers. The new softwares I see now are mostly online only like Rocket Matters. Online only vs on desktop is really what you have to ask yourself. Online you can get access on any computer you use but programs like Pro law I remember were faster and never offline. The down part is that you have to be on your destop. I would suggest getting pro law if you have 1 office and not very many staff members. Otherwise you might want to go with something that is better online if you are always changing offices.

Pros

Cons

You can not access it over a browser at least not the years I used it. You needed the software installed. The them was not very bright but that might have just been my default settings. I assume most people keep their default setting and not change them to make sure they dont mess anything up.

November 2015

Tanya from KEL Attorneys

November 2015

Great workflow, docketing and document management for law firms!

Pros

In comparison to programs like World Docs & Perfect Practice, ProLaw offered many additional workflow and tracking features that allowed me to adapt a high volume law firm's ever-changing practices and procedures. This is a full case management system where case notes, tracking, tasking, document storage, billing and timekeeping is all-in-one. My regional client representative at ProLaw treated me like a VIP and was always on call to help get me answers to any new challenges in customizing the system.

Cons

The reporting mechanisms were not the best, and it always took some work to convert data into an Excel format that worked for our staff. Sometimes IT tech support at ProLaw delayed their responses to helpdesk tickets.

Marc from Rosenbaum IP, P.C.

Stay Current

Very happy during the initial decade.......now on the verge of discontinuing our use and changing vendors. Will decide in the next 6 months if we're leaving ProLaw.

Pros

Ease of use for most features. Front office much better than back office.

Cons

ProLaw is not staying current with programming for electronic billing. Larger institutions are migrating to LEDES format and ProLaw is way behind in its programming for same. Users should not have to subscribe to eBilling to accommodate these invoicing requirements. Very disappointed and on the cusp of changing software providers. Please get up to speed!

Melissa from Legality

Industry: Law Practice

Useful but not intuitive or user friendly

I no longer use this software and here they have improved, but it would take a lot for me to want to give them another try.

Pros

It has a good bit of automation built in, and they are working to add more. Inputting information is fairly easy and reviewing notes is takes no effort at all. It is great for a firm that deal with fewer, more complex matters.

Cons

The system is a bit clunky. They lag behind some of their competitors in functionality and ease of use. Merging documents can be done, but it is a process. Also, updates often come with bugs.

MICHELLE from BAKER BROWN & DIXON

Customer for 20 years

I felt the sales team was unresponsive regarding installation. However, the sales rep we have now is excellent and very responsive.

Pros

Easy to use. Can be modified easily for our specific needs.

Cons

After purchasing the mobile version that would work on an IPad, we were told that it would not include custom tabs. Our use of custom tabs is very important. That purchase was a waste of money for us.

Sean from Brandon Legal Group

Excellent all around product

ProLaw is an excellent tool to bring all facets of a law firm under one system. Coming from large corporations it was amazing to me to find that there are companies utilizing multiple non-integrated platforms to run their business. Switching to ProLaw has now given us the ability to use a single platform to run every segment of our business. It provides management reporting that allows us to make sound business decisions and provide exemplary customer service to our clients.

Pros

It contains every user function you can thing of. ProLaw provides initial setup and training so that your business and you SOP's are incorporated into the set up. It can save you magnitudes of time. ProLaw offers classes, and can do custom work to your system. ProLaw has partnered with many certified third party vendors to provide additional functions to ProLaw or services to make ProLaw cloud based. ProLaw has fully automated credit card processing through a third party vendor, Clientpay.

Old school but simple

Pros

I like that Prolaw is straightforward and easy to use. It makes organization of a litigation file easy and things are easy to find quickly.

Michael from Johnson County (Iowa) Attorney's Office

2017 Downgrade is apalling

Very poor system for tracking address/contact changes over time. The ease of data entry sometimes makes it too easy to inadvertently overtype. Bizarre Contacts display system of First Middle Last, without an option for Last, First Middle, even as Matters display only by Last, First Middle. Building search queries requires significant technical knowledge and cannot be done by even seasoned users. Interface is not intuitive. Some symbols are used for multiple functions.

Pros

Documents can be displayed in a number of organizational ways as fits the user's preference/needs.

Cons

Getting those documents tagged and into Prolaw is a nightmare. Previous "Profiling" function allowed for filing an email attachment only. That's gone. Now you either have to separate the attachment from the email or click through the email to get to the attachment once it is in Prolaw. Previous "Profiling" function allowed user to easily switch and mix between keyboard and mouse driven-commands. (Such as clicking on a data field and then easily typing "pl + tab" for a Pleading rather than using the drop-down menu with the mouse.) Now the user is forced to use the drop down menu. The size of the "Profiling" work box cannot be adjusted or customized as it previously could be. So when Prolaw displays a useless column between to helpful columns, the user must scroll to get to the helpful information. They also added a pagination system which makes scrolling very tedious.

Diana from RGB

Last update GIANT step BACKWARD

In prior version, when saving an email, for example, if the client/matter number was referenced in the subject, saving the email automatically populated the client/matter number and the email was recognized as such. After the most current update, ALL fields on EVERY document must be entered in order to save or create a new document. This means users are required to enter several times MORE keystrokes than in prior version to accomplish the same tasks. HUGE step backward. VERY time-consuming and frustratingly inefficient. Lord, strike me with a nasty case of pimples if I EVER complain about I-Manage again!

Pros

Drag and drop email saving - except the latest update defaults to attached doc/attached doc class/event.

Cons

Last update completely reversed the ease and efficiency of prior version. ALL document saving requires that ALL information be entered on EVERY document saved. Client/matter numbers are required, as are ALL info fields for each doc saved. Some of this was auto-populated in prior version. Current version takes users TWICE as long to save docs.

kate from Colantuono Highsmith & Whatley

ProLaw Review

This is the best law firm accounting package available on the market, in my opinion

Pros

This program combines all features needed for timekeeping and billing and report management and it integrates with its other programs such as accounting

Cons

Because it is such a sophisticated program it can be difficult to learn but the installation support/training team is excellent, responsive and supportive

Melissa from Johnson & Freedman

Industry: Law Practice

Decent software, but you pay for french pastry and get a glorified Twinkie

I used ProLaw when I worked for a real estate firm for foreclosure litigation. It did the job, just not as efficient as other programs.

Pros

ProLaw is not terribly difficult to use. There are a lot of customizable fields and it stores a good bit of information. It doesn't require a lot of training and is for the most part intuitive. Also, many of the quirks/bugs can easily be fixed.

Cons

ProLaw is one of the pricier programs out there and as I mentioned above, there are quirks/bugs such as reports having different fonts, lost headers and spacing issues. To me, it is a bit clunky looking. While some people love this setup, I prefer a more streamline program without the information overload.

Dan from Law Offices of David K. Tran

Industry: Law Practice

Makes searching for legal forms and case records an ease.

It allowed me to draft the necessary documents with proper argumentative support to progress my court cases.

Pros

The database of case records as well as various legal documents. Pro law strips the pain away from combing the web for various legal documents and past legal examples.

Cons

The interface can be improved slightly. Signing into the software requires more effort than most softwares and the constant password updates are tiring.

Susana from Csj

OK PROGRAM

Pros

Our office is used to it, so we have learned to use it. Calendaring functions are good and they syncs with Microsoft outlook which is very good.

Cons

It crashes a lot when searching docs. If the query is not specific enough it crashes m.

Colin from Black McCuskey

Last Update was the Nail in the Coffin

AVOID!

Pros

Document automation - and even that is wonky. Timekeeping is a bit easier, but is still a nightmare.

Cons

Where to start? The last update completely broke our reports, LEDES billing, and there are still numerous glitches. (Worst part about it, we paid for a migration and upgrade, and then we had to pay for them to fix what broke!) The profiling add-ins are a nightmare, and it feels like we took a big step backwards with it. Our billing is still not working correctly, randomly assigning incorrect rates to matters. Customer service is lousy and doesn't care.

Colleen from MCAO

Timekeeping not user friendly

The timekeeping system should be more structured to ensure consistency among attorneys entering time.

Pros

The case management system does uploads into our Outlook calendars. I have never used any other case management system.

Cons

The timekeeping should be integrated with our Outlook calendars to automatically incorporate meetings, deadlines and court appearances. There should be a timekeeping tracking in real time as the attorney is working on a motion. Figuring out how to generate reports is very complicated and I still don't know how to print reports with a narrative. The help index is not helpful.

Prolaw does what it needs to do, but boy does it look like it's from the year 1998

The legal firm I worked with migrated out of another database software to ProLaw. ProLaw looks and feels like a Windows 98 computer. It's also like Evernote, which means that if whoever set it up did it poorly, then the whole system breaks down.

Pros

Cons

It's so stupidly clunky. To create a matter, it requires multiple steps upon multiple steps. To upload a file, you then have a assortment of options to choose from, which all do the same thing. ProLaw could use a UX designer to modernize things.

Susana from CSJ

earlier versions of ProLaw were better

organization and document review and management.

Pros

Very intuitive and easy to use and navigate. It feels like having the actual paper file with all the tabs and documents.

Cons

It is low and freezes a lot. I am not sure if it has to do with my system, but it is a little slow.

Very expensive product for larger law firms

Pros

It allows a larger firm to management documents effectively and efficiently. The platform is also very easy to use

Cons

The expense of this product makes one search for other solutions. It is on the verge of unaffordable regardless of how much the firm produces

May 2016

Lysa from Dischell Bartle Dooley

May 2016

Prolaw Review

Pros

The product is an all in one solution which makes my job easier

Cons

Training - The online courses have terrible moderators

Mary from Thoreson Legal Services

ProLaw

Pros

The ease and ability to pull documents and calendars into one program.

Cons

It's a little bit confusing and rather hard to learn.

Awesome!

I have used ProLaw for years and will continue to use this going forward.

Pros

Great webinars! Easy to search for CLEs and to purchase. The interface is easy to use and to navigate. The content is succinct and straightforward, which means they are picking great and experienced speakers. I've been very happy!

Cons

Nothing! I suppose the only thing I could wish for is that the CLEs were free?

Bob from NBD

user friendly

Pros

very user friendly, makes it easy to learn and integrates well with all other programs that we currently use

Cons

tech support can be tricky to get ahold of, they like to go around the problem instead of getting right to the point of helping

Adam from JIM-BERN COMPANY

I captured more hours of work

Pros

This program is so much better than our prior software. We are capturing more hours and collecting more money.

Cons

Sometimes the help menus and customer support are not as good as they should be. The program can be hard to learn.

Coby from Torys

Easy to use service

Pros

ProLaw is great, easy to use software that can help many lawyers practices

Cons

There is not much to complain about, but I would like easier search mechanics.

prolaw

Pros

-I like that it syncs and imports well with outlook, word, excel, dictation software. - It generates documents and auto populates, which saves me a significant amount of time - The document can be used by the entire firm and everyone can have access to the documents at the same time - billing is easy to use and is build into the program

Cons

- it is very slow and can sometimes freeze. This happens when I have too many cases open, which is understandable, but it can get annoying -the ability to make personalized documents can be frustrating because it often takes too long -I find that I sometimes get locked out of the billing feature when I don't use it for a long time. -billing descriptors are limited so you have to generalize to find what fits