What are EmailOctopus users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using EmailOctopus software through verified user reviews

• icon"Cheaper than mailchimp, good dashboards, has bookfunnel integration api, great campaign and automation planning tool."
  • icon"Amazing support team, very responsive and kind. The tool is on a very reasonable price and being continuously developed."
  • icon"Real-time statistics: watch in real time how your campaigns perform. Outstanding support: I needed support to use the API and got great help from them."
  • icon"The automation is very poor. You can't send emails based on behaviour but just with a delay of hours/days/weeks."
  • icon"The embeddable form are quite ugly, they look at least ten years old."
  • icon"For me there's no serious cons of this software."

Browse all EmailOctopus Reviews

• Have you used EmailOctopus and would like to share your experience with others?

RYAN

Best Email Service Anywhere

Outstanding. I have so much control and flexibility to use this service for so many bulk emailing applications and I can scale up or down to mirror my busy seasons. I have been thrilled with this service for years.

Pros

I have been a user of EmailOctopus for years and have seen the company, services, and functionality grow and develop over time. The customer service has been extraordinary whenever I have had questions and I have always received highly respectful communications from this company. They know that your success makes them succeed as well so they are in your corner every step of the way and they treat customers fairly at all times. The ease and flexibility of this web-based program are outstanding and I have made recommendations in the past that have since been implemented. What the service is now is a godsend for anyone needing to send bulk emails whether frequently or occasionally because they allow you to scale up or down to your needs, which I see as further proof of their customer first philosophy. The setup is easy if you follow the instructions or ask for any help and once you are setup with amazon and email octopus, you can be confident that you will achieve everything you desire with this service. Best of luck to you all in future endeavors.

Cons

None Exist. Try to change my mind. This service is outstanding.

Josh

Probably one of the best & most cost-effective ESP's out there!

Truly outstanding customer service. Quick response times and always willing to go out their way to ensure that you are properly looked after. This too is one of the key reasons why we are still with EO and have no intention of leaving. Solid company and staff all round!

Pros

The thing we love most, is that when you link your Amazon SES account with Email Octopus, you can get a real bargain, esp. when compared to other ESPs out there. The user interface is very intuitive and simple to use, yet, it comes with very advanced email marketing features. All in all, we can recommend EO to anyone looking for an advanced email marketing system that doesn't break the bank.

Cons

In terms of advanced segmentation, the current version is still somewhat limited, but I've been in touch with their support team who have ensured us that it's on it's way. But other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

While SendGrid is known for their ultra-high deliverability rate, the UX of their platform is sub-optimal. We managed to figure things out, but their built-in email templates were seriously lacking in creativity and weren't optimised for mobile at all. After signing up with Email Octopus, we ensured that everything was properly set up with Amazon SES (which granted, took a bit of reading up), but we now have an above average deliverability, open and click rate.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

MailChimp is good, but far too expensive, esp. when you have a larger email database and send out weekly newsletters.

Soundarya

December 2021

A great alternative

We are able to centralize all our email marketing campaigns across two products. Also the deliverability of the campaigns has been great so far.

Pros

1. Deliverabilty 2. Clean UI 3. Faster onboarding 4. Amazing support

Cons

Action or triggered based workflow creation feature will be a great add.

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

We know an influencer who is on Email Octpus whose emails always landed in our inbox. So we tested Email Octopus for deliverability and got amazing open rates. Also the UI and setup is very easy.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

The open rates were not really great. Plus we wanted to used a branded domain to send our emails.

Jan Sigetty

Industry: Publishing

Unfair comparison with Mailchimp

I like it, but that's because I found workarounds. Fx. I design the NewsLetter in MailChimp and copy/paste the HTML. It works fine that way.

Pros

I moved from MailChimp, because of the price tag. Octopus is way cheaper, but it's still possible to send the same quality emails and that's​ great.

Cons

1. A better interface to make your own template/design. Limitations in fonts, sizes, etc 2. List features are limited. No way to create segments or groups based on subscriber data. 3. Regarding reports: A graphic overview of where the clicks are placed.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Jan, Thanks for the feedback. We have some good news on the campaign editor- we've just launched our new drag & drop email builder. It's only in Beta at the moment, however I've added it to your account and you'll be able to use it in your next campaign. More updates to come based on your feedback, too. Thanks again, Tom

Replied October 2018

Payam

Industry: Sporting Goods

Email Octopus reduced our newsletter fees by ~80%

Pros

Ease of transitioning existing contacts into email octopus, customizability of advertizements, excellent support. Able to link Email Octopus with our existing Amazon SES account.

Cons

Honestly not a lot to say here. The software is similar to others that fill this niche within the market.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

Mailchimp Costs were getting high and out of hand

Simple mailing lists

I don't think I've ever had a better experience integrating with an API than with EmailOctopus. Their email support is also one of the best I've ever dealt with.

Pros

I like how quickly I was able to set it up. I also frequently give their API documentation as an example of a perfectly written document. While composing a new campaign, the UI doesn't get in the way and I'm able to just get down to work.

Cons

I couldn't figure out a way to "merge" multiple user lists, or send a campaign to users from multiple different lists at once.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

ConvertKit started to become more cumbersome that I could bear, with heavier use of "user friendly" features and less ability to tweak the templates manually.

Fantastic low-cost email host

I needed an easy and inexpensive way to host email. This has done the trick and then some! Really pleasantly surprised.

Pros

Very easy to use, inexpensive. Great deliverability!

Cons

Doesn't have an easy way to segment your subscribers.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

I wanted to save money. Since I didn't need all the functionality that ConvertKit uses for this particular email segment, changing over has helped me quite a bit.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi there, We have some good news on segmentation - we've just launched this as a feature so you can now segment your mailing list based on custom fields and the data that's most important to your business. Let us know how it works for you. Thanks, Tom

Replied April 2020

Maisarah

Simple and cheap for a email marketing manager software

Pros

EmailOctopus provides a dependable platform at a reasonable price, with exceptional customer service. Questions are swiftly and thoroughly answered. The platform is simple to use and offers a wide range of options that i have use to write our newsletter and email marketing content.

Cons

I'd want to see the email builder drag and drop functionality enhanced. It works okay, and the emails are attractive, but it isn't as polished as some other newsletter builder software that I have used. The email template should be more customizable and easy to add a design into it.

December 2021

I highly recommend Email Octopus

Pros

Everything but mostly its integration with Amazon SES.

Cons

There is really nothing I don't like about Email Octopus.

Maksim

Simplicity at its' finest

Great

Pros

Amazing customer service, incredibly easy setup process, and the simplest email marketing tool interface I have ever seen. Keep it up EO team ;)

Cons

Not enough automation triggers and workflow builder is not very powerful.

Ian

I Only Use This Software Because it Works

I ave never really had any issues with Email Octopus and only have good things to say. If you are using something else for your email services, I highly recommend you check this out. They are easy to use, very affordable, and the service is clean/not bogged down with a bunch of stuff that no one uses.

Pros

Easy to use dashboard, all the basic features I want without all the fluff of the other software out there, and the price is WAY better than most

Cons

It can be a pain to set it up with AWS. I would recommend getting an AWS freelancer to set it up for you initially if you don't know how to work with it

Price and ease of use

Price and ease of use

Mikey

Reliable and cost-effective

Overall I've been very pleased. I have tried several other providers and found that this service is excellent and compares well with other providers who charge a lot more for similar features.

Pros

EmailOctopus offers a reliable platform at an excellent price, and the level of customer support is particularly good. Questions are answered promptly and efficiently. The platform is easy to use and has a good range of features.

Cons

I'd like to see the drag and drop email editor improved. It works well enough and the emails look good, but it is not as slick as other editors I've used.

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

I've tried all those listed and a few more. MailerLite let me down several times. They were unreliable and their support was poor. Sendfox is very basic and charges for options such as single optin lists. Mailpoet has a great editor and integrates with my site beautifully, but it didn't integrate with Bookfunnel, and that was a dealbreaker. Mailchimp has become very expensive.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

I wanted to switch from a self-hosted email platform to a hosted one, and it was important that the service I chose integrated with Bookfunnel and my website.

Jargon

This is the one!

10/10

Pros

EmailOctopus was SOOOOOO easy to use! I love it. I came over discouraged AF from trying MailChimp. Anyone whoever used MailChimp either has a degree in the software or hired someone. It is ridiculously difficult to use and it embeds itself into everything. EmailOctopus is so simple and effective. I got real-time results and I ended up making quite a bit of money emailing old customers. I will definitely be using EmailOctobus from here on out.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like is that I didn't find it sooner.

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

EmailOctupus is easy to use and doesn't require much setup. Zero headaches, zero nonsense

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

MailChimp was too difficult to use

Kat

Industry: Writing and Editing

Can't beat the features for the price

My overall experience has been positive. I'm comfortable with tech, so setting this up with AWS wasn't difficult. I like the user interface and I think deliverability is at least moderate. I've been able to save 10-20 month using EmailOctopus over the more mainstream and pricey email providers, so I'm happy.

Pros

I like that I have 90% of the functionality as with the more expensive options, like MailerLite. This allows me to build my newsletter list without the hefty price tag.

Cons

I wish there were more analysis-type features, like being able to tell me at a glance which subscribers haven't opened an email in six months, and then a mechanism to pull that group out and cull them from my list. Right now the process is manual and time-consuming.

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

Mostly price, but also functionality. I wanted a UI that was easily to learn and would make it simple to produce decent-looking newsletters.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

Price - as my list of subscribers grew larger, it became cost-prohibitive to stay with MailerLite.

Freeman

Love EmailOctopus!

Pros

EmailOctopus is focused on one thing - helping you send beautiful emails to your subscribers. It's not bloated, it's simple to use, and it's priced very competitively. We switched from Mailchimp a few years ago. We love the ability to use our Amazon SES account to keep costs low for our high volume of weekly email sends. I've also switched client's from Mailchimp to the EmailOctopus Pro plan and it always saves them time and money.

Cons

Would be great to have more integrations with other content management systems but they keep improving every day!

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

Price and ease of use. You shouldn't need a course to be able to understand how to use your email management service.

Sumeet

Best Email Marketing System

Overall, I think I am using EmailOctopus for more than 3-4 years now I think. I have been very satisfied with their product and haven't found any other service which gives me such good features at this price point. All the best to their team and hoping they take EmailOctopus to new heights.

Pros

I have been using this since it was a very small product. I have seen it grow and add new features with time. They have definitely grown for the better and added some really nice automated marketing features without increasing the cost too much.

Cons

Amazon SES reputation management is the biggest issue I have faced. Though, it's not their part of the product directly but there should be some way of managing the reputation and fixing those issues from within their product. Whenever I had doubts, their team did help me out a lot.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

The pricing for simple email newsletter in MailChimp is too expensive for our business. Though they are actually shifting from just email newsletter to a complete e-commerce marketing platform. But the cost was too high for our subscriber base.

Steven

E-mail Octopus is a great platform

Overall, our experience has been great. Any time I've had a question or a problem the support center is very responsive, even factoring in the time lag because I'm in the United States and they are in Great Britain.

Pros

E-mail Octopus is very easy to use. It is an intuitive program. Over the past three years that we have been using it it has been nearly flawless. But the best thing about it is it's affordability and flexibility.

Cons

If I had to pick just one thing about the program that I would change would be on the reporting side. It gives good data about the number of opens, numbers who unsubscribe and bounces. However when they report clicks the base it not just on the number of opens but also factor in even the number who never opened the e-mail. To me, that doesn't make sense. How can you report data on someone who never even opens the e-mail.The realistic number of click throughs should be based on the actual number of the people who have opened the e-mail. That is the most accurate data a user like myself can benefit from.

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

They weren't able to keep up with the technology wen needed to be able to collect data about delivery, opens, clicks of our e-mail.

Brian

Small Agency ESP Review

Very positive.

Pros

We use EmailOctopus for our small agency to send our newsletters and other targeted email campaigns. Their tool is extremely easy to use and is very cost efficient for small agencies that have to watch every penny. Plus the are continually adding new features to the platform which makes the value increase every quarter!

Cons

Would like the ability to create sub-accounts. And it's a bummer to pay a foreign transaction fee every month.

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

Easy decision. EmailOctupus offered the best value for our agency.

Better value

Kristian

Simple & Effective

Incredible. In the time & age where platform are becoming extremely bulky, EmailOctopous keeps it simple, clean, automated. Customer support is on point every time.

Pros

- Simple yet powerful - Not overwhelming - Incredible customer support - Fantastic automation

Cons

- Segmentation features - Advanced automation & workflows

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

Mailchimp has become too complex & overwhelming over time.

Phil

The Ronseal of Email Platforms - Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Pros

Nutshell - AWESOME. Ease of use. After failing to be able to achieve what we needed with a well known competitor we switched. We had spent four days trying to import our list with the competitor but were unable to due to limitations in the host software.

Cons

No landing page. Sure its fine for us, we have a website page specifically for capturing new signups but some will not have this ability. For example in the MLM world the 'rep' or 'agent' may not have or need an actual website but will absolutely need email marketing with a very simple way to capture new users. Something with a url that would allow for sharing on social networks. Integration with Wordpress isn't very 'pretty'! We're having to use web hooks in a separate form to pass the data through automation to our audience list. The WP plugin isn't, and very probably never will be, as powerful as some of the built in tools within modern WP page builders. Unfortunately whilst the bigger guys tend to get their platforms integrated into WP plugins, it helps the plugin devs sell the product, EmailOctopus isn't current being supported. WP plugin devs, if you're reading this, make it happen!!

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

Restrictions of the competitor product.

Sheila

Industry: Graphic Design

Email Octopus makes it designing and sending emails easy and affordable

I'm getting more emails out and having more interaction with my customers. With the algorithms on social media changing daily, being able to consistently connect with my customers through email marketing is so important.

Pros

Email Octopus is so much easier to use that other email marketing products. The templates are simple and impactful, making sending new email campaigns an absolute breeze instead of a full-time job.

Cons

The only thing I would suggest is that email octopus develop an app for mobile users. That would make it even easier to use!

Reasons for switching to EmailOctopus

Cost, ease of use, support

Jacques-Louis

I tried many Email services and EmailOctopus is my favorite

Pros

- Very low cost: EmailOctopus uses Amazon Simple Mail Service to send emails, for a fraction of the cost of other email platforms - Integrated API: I automate my list building using EmailOctopus full featured API. I can connect EmailOctopus to my workflow - Real-time statistics: watch in real time how your campaigns perform - Outstanding support: I needed support to use the API and got great help from them

Cons

It lacks a list segmentation feature and the list contacts editing could be more user friendly.

The price and the API

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Jacques-Louis, We have some good news on segmentation - we've just launched this as a feature so you can now segment your mailing list based on custom fields and the data that's most important to your business. Let us know how it works for you. Thanks, Tom

Replied April 2020

Phillip

Industry: Consumer Electronics

CEO

Pros

not as expensive! it's easy to use and works great! Never had a problem with it and always have had good success with it.

Cons

I'd like some more functionality but I understand if I need to pay to get those things.

less expensive

less expensive

Not-so-bad Alt to MailChimp

Pros

The fact that the free version comes with 2500 subscribers. 200 more than MailChimp.

Cons

For me there's no serious cons of this software. they did good job in improving their drag and drop editor. But i don't feel they keep up with enough updates. The sector of email marketing providers is crowded and if you don't keep up like what MailChimp did with launching Inbox and Surveys features plus their brand new editor: We as customers and therefore our clients will choose the most advanced solution.

Mailchimp Transactional Email

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

Client requests and project requirements

Client requests

Ashleigh

Industry: Writing and Editing

The Perfect Solution

I had a suggestion for a new feature and contacted customer service. They responded within hours and were extremely friendly. I have been very pleased with this program and will definitely be recommending it to others.

Pros

I examined many email clients before selecting Email Octopus. What really made this program stand above the rest was the fact that I could have 2500 subscribers on my list and still remain on the free program.

Cons

The "Drag and Drop" feature in the email builder has a slight learning curve, but it is still much easier to use than other programs I've worked with.

ActiveCampaign, Mailchimp, AWeber and ConvertKit

Reasons for choosing EmailOctopus

EmailOctopus had the largest number of subscribers on the free version and was the easiest to use.

EmailOctopus