Mention Software Reviews

Mention Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

• icon"It is straight forward and extremely easy to use."
  • icon"I also like that it can also scan Twitter for brand mentions, leading to a more prominent media article that I always miss in Google alerts."
  • icon"Great support staff and easy roll-up reporting to manage reputation risk."
  • icon"You would think for the amount of money they spend you could do something more with the software. Pricing is just outrageous."
  • icon"I can;t say that I have any negative comments to add."
  • icon"I noted that sometimes mentions especially on different forums can be missed by this tool."

All Mention Reviews

Abigail

Great for social media monitoring and measuring social sentiment

It helped monitor competitor mentions, my brand's mentions and most importantly it helped gauge how people felt about my brand, whether positive, negative or neutral.

Pros

I originally signed up for mention to measure the social sentiment of one of the brands I managed. My first choice was Hootsuite but the form wasn't loading so I decided to try Mention. Best decision I ever made! After signing up and setting up keywords to measure, alerts and dashboards, I forgot about Mention because it wasn't giving me info on past activity, I got an email from Account Executive at Mention and we scheduled a 15 minutes call to walk me through mention and answer my questions. The call helped me understand how to use mention, It also explained why the social sentiment dashboard wasn't showing much info. Mention doesn't show past data only data from when the account is set up. I liked the email alerts on competitors social media mentions, I wanted to know who was mentioning my competitors and why, and if they were journalists, I could use Hunter and Clearbit to get their emails so I could send them a pitch. I think the pros of Mention are: Good support from the Mention team, simple interface that is easy to use and resources such as webinars to make the most of the software, email alerts on competitors mention on social media, blogs, forums etc. And of course the simple social sentiment dashboard.

Cons

The brand I used Mention on was a small brand with little activity, and most social media interactions were in the past after we ran a campaign. Which didn't help much because Mention only showed data collected after setting up. I wish I could get sentiment from past activity so I can measure how my brand was viewed then and now.

Kristi

Mention gets all the mentions

Back in the day, we’d monitor news with Google Alerts which was obviously a terrible idea. Mention picks up stuff lightning fast and it’s incredibly affordable if you're on a budget and looking to get in to more serious media monitoring. I can’t recommend Mention enough as a user-friendly, cost-effective, thorough solution. It also offers more advanced options for when your budget or need increases.

Pros

It’s a cost-effective, in-depth monitoring solution.

Cons

I wish more features were available to base plans, even on an a la carte basis.

Reasons for choosing Mention

Meltwater was far too expensive and incredibly restrictive as far as terms and conditions. Beware of auto-renewal.

November 2022

Una muy buena herramienta para monitorear tu reputación online

Pros

Lo utilizamos en alguna de las empresas del grupo que queremos monitorizar mas profundamente nuestra reputación online. Tiene diferentes planes y nos permite medir la reputación no solo a nivel de noticias blogs etc, sino tambien en función del plan la reputación que tengas en redes sociales. Una herramienta necesaria cuando ya tienes una empresa con un reputación a nivel online. Despues de nuestra experiencia ¡ Muy recomendable!

Cons

Quizas lo que menos me guste es que existe mucha diferencia entre los diferentes planes, ya que una cosa son las monitorizaciones y niveles de alerta y número de menciones y otra las fuentes de donde toma esas meciones, ya que por ejemplo en los planes más basicos no están incluidas todas las redes sociales, no obstante es muy recomendable

Andy

Metion monitors social media so you don't have to.

Not much that I can't get from others . Over time Mention has lost its luster and is easily replaced by other tools.

Pros

Mention is easy to set up, and provides reporting on what's going on in social media based on what you want it to track.

Cons

Mention is constantly asking me to log in again and validate my accounts with services like LinkedIn. This is troubling as it impacts timely deliver, and is more of an interruption than a benefit. It's like LinkedIn or Facebook don't trust them.

Jitendra

Industry: Writing and Editing

August 2022

A social listening, monitoring and management tools

As for now I am quite fine with the experience and with some more efforts the tool can deliver even better experience.

Pros

Mention helps me to narrow down my social listening to specific topic, brand or issue. It helps me understand the best topics to write about to gain maximum social media traction and build a curiosity among the targeted audiences. Besides, I can also monitor the brand conversations of my clients to understand what people think about their products or how do they rate their business. Acting on this information I can prepare a content strategy that further boosts people's interests in my clients' brand and business.

Cons

The tool can create even more value for the users by strategically combining some instant features to speed up the content creation, like free stock images, links to authority websites related to specific topics and an easy access to key excerpts from the notable personalities like subject experts, entrepreneurs, etc.

Mohammed

the perfect tool to allow you stay informed on your performance, and stay ahead of looming troubles

Mention has been a really great and effective tool that provided us with the much needed insights we required to help us expand into other complementary sectors and services. By gauging the perception of the general public to related activities and competing products, we have been able to better time our ad campaigns and network engagements to achieve the maximum results possible.

Pros

I guess the best thing about Mention is that it provides the full circle of complementary services needed to completely manage the image and interests of our businesses and projects. By far, one of my most interesting features about setting up alerts is that I can use tags to create alerts within broader alerts. This allows for an effective filtering system that makes our work ten times easier.

Cons

Some elements within the user interface could be decoupled and further simplified to make navigation and learning for new first-time users a little easier.

Reasons for choosing Mention

We end up using them in combination and based on the specific needs of a given project or campaign.

Great to monitor your brand

Pros

I like a lot the fact you can easily monitor everything about your brand on social medias, web sites, ... And also easily filter out what you don't want (the noise). For example, I'm not interested in the job offers related to my software. Excluding a website or a given term from the alerts is super easy and efficient.

Cons

Nothing really. The website and its mobile version are easy to use. The email I'm getting every day is perfect.

Mike

October 2015

If you can get it in the budget, it's a no brainer

I only used the trial so I don't have a long history with the service. I've been a marketing professional for over 10 years and understand the value of time, knowledge and keeping up with discussions going on about your product and the people associated. I'm impressed with how easy it is to set up and get back to work... you can tweak settings as you start getting results to really hone in on what you're after. There's no point rambling on about Mention, it simply does what you expect it to do in an intuitive way.

Pros

Quick to set up, easy to adjust, friendly and responsive support staff... fast learning curve!

Cons

You get pretty flooded with results in the beginning which can be overwhelming and turn some people off that the service has just thrown a wide catch net over the internet and giving you everything! BUT it's only as good as what you put in... it's up to YOU to get the most out of it, put in the right search terms, the right filters and it's amazing how accurate it can be. The con here is that it might be a good idea in the onboarding phase to ensure people understand this (maybe I missed it).

Response from mention

Thanks a lot for testing Mention and leaving this great review. I appreciate how accurately you describe the challenge of setting up the search correctly with our filters to avoid being flooded with irrelevant results. It's great that you pointed it out, we will work on emphasis this during the on-boarding phase, as you mentioned.

Replied October 2015

Enes

June 2022

Mention Review

Pros

I am pleased that content management is comprehensive and convenient. This is my favorite feature.

Cons

It could have been more comprehensive and the interface more professional.

Jérémy

Suivre les tendances facilement

Pros

Mention vous permet de suivre les tendances sur les réseaux sociaux, d'écouter ce qui se dit sur telle ou telle marque et différents mots-clés, permettant d'être proactif en tant que marque sur les réseaux et ainsi mieux gérer son image.

Cons

On pourra reprocher parfois un manque de lisibilité dans l'interface de l'application.

Coy

Okay Monitoring Service, But Buyer Beware - No Option to Cancel

Most poor reviews come from disgruntled clients who proceed to trash the company. This is not a positive review, but to be fair there are some positive qualities about the application. For starters, do your homework and review all the options available. Turns out there are other companies with more robust platforms that offer more services for a lower price. Mention offers decent monitoring services for companies that don't have PR teams with the ability to focus on monitoring. You can set up alerts (up to a point, before getting charged again) and manage the results to attempt to get focused. Even so, there is a ton of noise that has to be filtered out. For the time you spend tooling around with the app you could actually set up other methods to get the same results. For us, Mention didn't quite offer all the value for the price and upsells. We restructured our PR to be smarter and narrow in on specific sources for each campaign - something our clients greatly appreciate. Attribution is easy to measure without using Mention, so it was obvious to us that we are paying a premium (over a quarterly premium and upsells) for a service that isn't doing much for us. That may not be the case for you, but when we opted to end our agreement, Mention's answer was basically "I don't care, pay me my money". Not a very good look and definitely prevents me from ever considering them again even if they upgraded their services in the future.

Pros

The solution offers online monitoring that includes news, social media, message boards, and forums. There is an added cost to include traditional news sources like TV & Radio, but the extra cost makes the overall package more expensive than other solutions on the market. The setup team was actually good, so the initial experience with the company was positive.

Cons

With exception of message boards and forums, you can reasonably achieve the same results using Google Alerts. For the cost and non-cancellable contract, you can actually fill in the gaps with just a little bit of leg work and some ingenuity. We ended up having to manually monitor review sites (like TripAdvisor), regardless of the promises made by Mention. That was pretty inconvenient. Additionally, we found quite a bit of chatter that wasn't being picked up by Mention. Eventually, we had to ask ourselves what's the point of paying so much money for the service. Mention doesn't break contracts, even if you're paying the premium for quarterly payments - which most ethical companies offer knowing that you may have to make a break. Their handling of that request leaves a lot to be desired.

Reasons for choosing Mention

At the time we felt that Mention offered a robust listening device for areas that seemed blocked off to us. There were a couple of other solutions we demo'd that didn't have the ability to monitor message boards and forums. After further review, we found there actually are. That's on us. We should have done more homework. Hopefully you will, too. Now having used the app for awhile, we realize it's basically an expensive Google Alerts with a little bit of social listening thrown in the mix. Knowing what we know now, we wouldn't have purchased their solution.

A much better replacement for Google Alerts!

Mention is a very efficient tool for PR pros who are in charge of brand reputation and issues management. It is very useful in catching online mentions that can be an issue starter. And being able to see it early on can help avoid turning these issues into a full-blown crisis.

Pros

For quite a long time, I’ve been relying on Google alerts to help me scan the internet for any mentions of my brand. Subscribing to Mention has been one of my company’s best decisions as it gives you more comprehensive results in scouring the internet with brand mentions that can either be good or detrimental to your brand. It has a great and easy to use dashboard. It also has an advanced notification system that delivers quality alerts straight to your inbox. I also like that it can also scan Twitter for brand mentions, leading to a more prominent media article that I always miss in Google alerts.

Cons

It can be a bit laggy at times, but somewhat manageable. You would also need support from their rep during the initial setup to train you on how to use and maximize the app’s full potential.

Nicole

Industry: Government Relations

August 2016

Fantastic Media Monitoring service

I was an early adopter of Mention App and have seen it grow from strength to strength. Compared to high priced media monitoring from large companies on offer - it is often quicker, more precise and always covers the full social, online and offline news environment. I use it for my clients and highly recommend it.

Pros

Ease of use, quick set up and accurate results. In built-sentiment analysis is useful. It's also helpful you can connect your social accounts to Mention and use the dashboard to respond to customer queries.

Cons

Not as evolved in the visualisation of data as competitors, but this isn't a big con because the data gathered is timely, precise and relevant (which other platforms struggle with). But would be great to see more options to display data.

Good tool for tracking activities and brand mentions through the network

We decided to bought Mention for marketing and support purposes, for tracking our brand, some keywords and competitors' mentions through the network and social media.

Pros

Easy and convenient interface with the possibility to track and review multiple alerts you are interested in. One alert monitoring is available for free. I like that all the interesting for me keyword mentions from the whole Internet, including social pages and forums, are collected and stored in one place. There is also a possibility to respond right from the dashboard without switching to other sites.

Cons

I noted that sometimes mentions especially on different forums can be missed by this tool. It would be also great to track some alert history (e.g. last year), for now mentions are collecting from the day you started to use this software.

Darla

September 2016

Mentions is Awesome!

I like the way you can limit the amount of feedback by blocking those you know don't belong and adding key words and using key words to block. I've been using this product for about two years. I'm a one person PR shop so it really saves me time in searching for those commenting about our school.

Pros

I get notifications by email about people talking about the school. It covers all social media and all sources on the web. It's really great and easy to use.

Cons

It's pretty pricy for a school but they do have a free option that is what I use. They used to have a larger number of free mentions but now it's only 100 which isn't many. I reach my max by the end of the first week of the month. I wish they had an educational discount.

Brice

Mention review

Pros

Mention allows me to follow the trends on social networks is very easy to configure and the dashboard is without complex The website and its mobile version are easy to use and easy to install

Cons

No drawbacks but more improvements would be cool

Frédéric

Mention allows me to monitor my brand and competition easily.

I can monitor any word, brand or name I want, giving me a headstart upon dealing with certain subjects.

Pros

What I like about Mention is the speed with which it finds the occurrences of the keywords I indicate to it. Rather than my competitors, I observe with this tool the vivacity of certain themes.

Cons

The interface is empty and not very intuitive. Fortunately, email alerts allow me to quickly access the last mentions of my keywords, because I don't use the web page where my information is collected, or very little. But this is a minor detail, because it is of particular interest to full-time community managers.