AdvancedMD EHR Software Reviews

Recommendations

Find out more:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"The software is customizable to providers which is nice, we have tools that help track productivity and we are able to keep a constant stream of revenue with our billing."
  • icon"AdvancedMD is very user friendly with all the bells and whistles."
  • icon"I love the ease in being able to schedule patients and be able to schedule future appointments."
  • icon"The note templates are often difficult to customize and once done tend to have bugs that cause our providers frustration."
  • icon"Communication is very poor. It has been difficult getting people to understand a therapy clinic vs a physicians office."
  • icon"The sysrem, as I'm writibng this, is down for unknown reasons and of course, they're closed after 7PM central time. WE HAD lots OF PROBLEMS SCANNING IN labs, reports, etc."

Have you used AdvancedMD EHR and would like to share your experience with others?

All AdvancedMD EHR Reviews

AdvancedMD is an integral software in our practice

Pros

The best feature for me personally is the ability to work on my iPhone and iPad. I am extremely busy and not always able to sit at my desktop to work so this feature is crucial for me.

Cons

It was a bit difficult to learn how to customize templates the way I prefer but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy to work with.

Aaron

Good product, terrible customer 'service'

It's helped eliminate a lot of manual effort with scanning in documents. THe reporting is pretty good. However, the implementation managers are terrible. They start presentations telling you that they will not respond for 48 hours to calls or emails outside of standing meetings. What they should say is that they won't respond at all. This mentality is common to all of the support staff.

Pros

I like the fact that in many respects the system does what we need it to do, and has many features that reduce, if not eliminate paperwork.

Cons

The support. Horrendous, slow, and/or non-responses are common.

Reasons for switching to AdvancedMD EHR

NueMD was going away, we figured we'd switch over early and avoid the debacle when NueMD is shut down.

Harlan

Industry: Mental Health Care

Not ready for mental health

If you're looking for a powerful billing platform this may be a good system for you to consider. However, if you're looking for a full PM/EHR system to manage a mental health practice this system is not ready and costs too much for what you get.

Pros

- Great billing platform with many ways to keep track of claims and payments - We're able to manage 3 locations with a single system - The system overall has a lot of great capability and most of the functionality we were looking for in a PM/EHR system. However, as noted below there are issues with how some of these capabilities work. - Templates can be customized

Cons

- The EHR is not user friendly and leads to many new users creating notes that are not connected to a session as well as multiple redundant notes for a session. - There is no easy way to track missing notes other than going session by session for each chart - The standard reports are generally not very helpful as they provide few ways to customize and filter. The filters that are present are often not logical ways to filter data. What's more frustrating is that there are actually more useful reports that are in the system but they cost additional money to be added to a user's key. For example, a common filter type is to filter a range of providers alphabetically. AdvancedInsight does provide an enhanced reporting capability (for an extra cost) that relies on Internet Explorer and MS Silverlight all of which are old technologies. It is also somewhat difficult and time consuming to learn and still does not provide the ability to customize reports in the standard report capability. For that you have to pay AMD to make the changes or to add the report that already exists to your key. - Printing chart notes requires a time consuming process of creating a Microsoft Word Merge template for each note template and then printing each note one by one. The Word Merge templates are complex to create and manage. - Our sales rep guaranteed us a 95% first pass acceptance rate. After 7 months we are at 89%. There are several reasons for this and the company has provided us a credit but don't be fooled by the promises of their sales team. - Adding new providers can take up to a month. Again we have been promised a 24 hour turn around time and yet sometimes have to wait weeks to get new providers added to our system. Note: we have the ability to add Users but only AMD can add providers.

Darin

An Independent & Small Clinic's Dream EHR

Pros

The customization of AdvancedMD is extremely useful especially for multi-specialty clinics. We're able to customize the workflow for our different specialties and drastically reduce the amount of time it takes our providers to complete their documentation.

Cons

A lot of the features are dependent on the user's commitment to learning the platform. If you're not willing to put in the time to learn the system it could lead to a lot of frustration.

Reasons for switching to AdvancedMD EHR

We decided to switch to a platform that had an integrated billing and clinical platform. We've saved approximately 20 hours per week as a result of the transition

Julia

PM is great, EHR is just okay

Overall, I am very happy with the PM and "2-3 out of 5" happy with the EHR. Once you become familiar with the difficult quirks, it just becomes second nature. However, what is "second nature" for me now would be appalling to someone who is familiar with a most customizable, more user-friendly EHR.

Pros

The scheduling part of Advanced MD is so intuitive. To move an appointment, just click, select "move", and click on the date and time you want instead. I like how you can customize the time intervals, color code appointment types, and assign each a default length of time. Adding a patient is easy. Making billing notes, sending messages/tasks, entering patient info, are all quick and simple. There are nice features in the EHR, such as being able to pull in medication history from a national database, look up pharmacies, customize acronyms and use pull-down menus to drop in often-used phrases.

Cons

Actually customizing the templates is quite difficult if you have not been formally trained by Advanced MD specialists, which costs extra. Trying to figure it out yourself online via training videos is next to impossible because it is not customized to your situation. Also, finding training videos to answer specific questions is also near impossible. In order to print a note out, you have to select a "WordMerge" option from a menu, then click several times until a word document opens up, which you can THEN print. Far too many clicks just to print out a note, in my opinion. I have not found a simple way to print out all of a patient's notes, so I end up repeating this process many times when an entire medical record is requested -- VERY time consuming. Advanced MD offers all sorts of conferences and trainings, but they all cost outrageous amounts of money, and most are in a location where you would have to travel to get there. I wish training was more accessible and not so costly. I wish creating templates were more intuitive and more easily done by a regular run-of-the-mill user.

Dr

September 2022

Do NOT Buy!!!!

I should have listened to my gut and stayed with Athena. They suck too, but at least we got paid and the functionality was more intuitive. We're going back as soon as we can!

Pros

We liked the idea of having an easy way to communicate with one another about patients.

Cons

1. Buggy and slow program. Doesn't work well on Chromebooks. 2. Chart files located in different parts of the software so you have to log in to an entirely different system (the practice management) from the clinical side. Ridiculous! 3. Implementation was the WORST. I paid $5000 to these people to design chart templates (and I sent photos and details, no less) and they still screwed it up royally. Online forms still do not port over to the patient's chart, and I just found out it has to be done MANUALLY in 2022. FAIL. 4. Patient facing appointment scheduler not showing all appointments 5. Billing is slow and follow up is practically nonexistent. We have to institute all back end follow up. 6. No ability to easily input referring physicians 7.

DrChrono

Cost

athenaOne

Cost

William

June 2022

Mixed feelings

The implementation process was pleasant, they always made it on time for their meetings and provided all the promised training. We launched on schedule. We love the advanced features it has like mobile capability, integrated fax, etc. We have had challenges with RCM, but it is still way better than our previous RCM manager.

Pros

We decided on AdvancedMD when we were changing software because of the competitive price. It also had lots of the features we wanted. -Mobile App -Patient Portal -Good analytic tools These tools all work and help our practice. Love the scheduler too. Our practice uses way less paper now that our patients can fill out forms on tablets. We were also sold on its usability for podiatrists, but I think this program is best suited for MDs- just look at the name!

Cons

None of the preset podiatry templates are usable for our DPMs, which is too bad. Some screens (scheduler) are super intuitive and clean, but other are clumsy and difficult to use (charge entry). I hope in further updates they can optimize the whole system. As others have noted, the template creator is difficult to use, and they charge a lot to get training or custom templates made by experts. We use them for RCM too, and that has been problematic at times. We were told during sales that it would only be a 1-2 hours of work per day for our office on billing and they would manage all denials and exclusions etc. This is only half true. They manage denials and exclusions by waiting forever to deal with them, or just sending them back to us if they don't know what to do. While they stay on top of the simple stuff like sending out claims and posting payments, we do most of the nitty gritty time consuming work. The Client Services team is responsive and you can always get someone on the phone quickly, but it can still take months to solve claims issues. They aren't the billing experts they claim to be, but it is still a useful service if you go into it with that expectation.

Pricing

It was outdated.

Christine

Industry: Mental Health Care

So many clicks ... why are there so many steps?

We often feel mislead or duped thinking back on the sales pitch. Everything is 18 clicks- EVERYTHING. Nothing is a one click done, its multiple windows with multiple clicks. Every feature is hidden in a menu in a pop up menu in 5 different screens that after 6 months I still dont know where to find the cool features I was sold on. The absolute worst part is everything is a pop up window. Forget about it on a mac. Nothing is easy with this program. We have wanted to back out and go to a different EHR 100 times since starting the process. We have lost so much money in claims, payroll hours of staff trying to figure out WHY -- WHY WOULD THIS GO HERE? Nothing is easy in this system. I knew something was wrong abut a month ago when money stopped flowing and I just figured it out. Our tax id is incorrect --- HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? How could this slip through the cracks. Its so hard to be mad because all of the support is so kind and caring and they do their best. Its not their fault this system needs an update or an overhaul. The support staff is the only reason we have stayed so long. They deserve a raise. We pay over $400 a month for this system for 1 provider who prescribes. I feel like its too late now to switch again.I also feel like we are past the "I hate new things" part and this is really the flaws of the system. I came on THIS WEBSITE and it kept saying "easy to use". This is not easy to use in any respect.

Pros

I like the customer support (after extremely long hold times) the most. All employees are local, caring and knowledgeable. The implementation staff that we were assigned to were awesome.

Cons

All of it. Pop up windows, everything is a pop up. There is no spell check when providers are writing notes. You have to refresh the window to see the changes you made. The system has a DOS feel. Very clunky.

Reasons for choosing AdvancedMD EHR

The reviews on this website.

Reasons for switching to AdvancedMD EHR

To get an all in one system.

Cindy

Poor training from day one!

About to lose my business - nobody would listen except Customer Care. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and her team were the only ones who would listen and help. Customer Care is amazing. Sad that I was promised so many things and didn't get what was promised.

Pros

When I was "sold" on this software, I was promised 11 hours of training. I was so excited about the features that it offered. I was on the phone for over 2 hours with the tutorial. The salesman was excellent in selling this software and I was so hopeful that it would be beneficial to me and my practice. I was promised that it would be up and running withing 4-6 weeks. It was told that billing would begin ASAP and that revenue would be flowing into the practice. I have over 100 superbills saved up for the launch date. I was excited that the first 2 months would be free of charge and that the next 2 billing cycles would be at a reduced rate.

Cons

After the sale was complete - I was given a training specialist who spent at the most - 1.5 hours with training. It took a few weeks to even get him to call and help set up AdvancedMD. After he set us up, it was another couple of weeks before we heard back from him. From the time I signed the contract - it was 6 weeks before we went live, then the 11 hours of training never happened. My first 2 "free months" came and went and there wasn't a single claim being worked. The trainer from that point on literally WASTED my time and money as she would call to "introduce" herself on a 3-4 minute phone call. It was another 2 weeks before she called again. What a waste of money for my staff to plan on 1 hour training and only receive 4 min. Her trainings were inadequate, she didn't know the system, and I didn't have proper training to even know what questions to ask her. My extreme disappointment in the set-up and training has been a HUGE factor for my business. I am in crisis mode with this billing company and nobody seems to care. If it weren't for customer care, I would be in such a mess that I wouldn't have a single dollar. The first billing cycle was on month #3. I owed $500 and hadn't even collected $200 at that time. The next month rolled around and I still hadn't collected more than $400, yet I owed another $500. Accounting billed me $1500 and automatically took it out of my account. I don't know what is going on with AdvancedMD, but I am desperate for help

Reasons for choosing AdvancedMD EHR

Because the sales pitch was awesome and I felt I would be getting the BEST quality service available. Sadly - not the case.

Reasons for switching to AdvancedMD EHR

I needed a company that would watch out for my best interest and help turnaround time for more efficient billing and collecting on accounts.

Curtis

Poor Customer Service Response Time After Purchase

Overall I'm ok with the functionality of the software. My biggest problem is with the ongoing support by the sales team. The customer service that you call to deal with software related issues is ok and tends to do a decent job, but when it comes to doing things like adding on services, providers, etc and having to deal with our "account rep" this is where the communication and follow up is not acceptable at all. An example is that today, I was told our insurance verification portal would be turned on. I scheduled training this afternoon with my entire office staff. I communicated this several times this morning, even telling them that I could cancel and reschedule the training if it wasn't going to be ready. They never even bothered to respond and when the designated training time arrived the portal still wasn't turned on, even though I was told all they had to do was "flip a switch" on the back end. This ended up causing a total waste of my entire office and back office staff's time. Very frustrating!

Pros

The price was good, the functionality was acceptable.

Reasons for choosing AdvancedMD EHR

Price and speed of set up, at the time.

Amy

Great Service, Feature Rich, Excellent Results

We have been customers for over 12 years and I have never found a product that offers as many features, better customer service, and overall return on investment. It has allowed our business to scale efficiently from day one, and provided us with a vehicle for cutting edge features, at a price that made sense for our business every step of the way.

Pros

The cloud based platform allows for very flexible use and collaboration between users and locations. There are many features offered and added each year, keeping up with the latest advances, efficiencies and automations. The workflows are well thought out, both from a clinical perspective, as well as the administrative and accounting workflows. Level of customization for reporting is unparalleled outside of building your own report servers. Customer service has remained consistently outstanding for over 12 years, with an emphasis and focus on the user experience. I've never seen help files that are as robust and updated as consistently, and the phone support is consistently awesome. Friendly people, user friendly product, great value for the price.

Cons

There are still specific areas that do not allow full customization.

Reasons for choosing AdvancedMD EHR

Better workflows, better customer service, better pricing structure.

Reasons for switching to AdvancedMD EHR

We needed a cloud based platform.

AdvancedMD has been & still is a very good experience. The implemtation process was very organized

Its changing our practice, and we will soon be "Chart" free (paper that is).

Pros

The overall functionality is superb. I can log-in from any computer, or at home, even from my phone. Like when you need to know how early a patient can get in the next day or that morning. All of the parts work together as a whole like a finely tuned machine. The appointment schedule is a multi-tasker in itself, you can get to pretty much any function you need from there (except master files, fee schedules & settings, which are more of an admin function). Charge entry is awesome, and seamless to "search" for diagnosis codes and procedure codes. And, the insurance payment Auto-Posting is Unbelievable, like adjusting off correct amounts, putting patient responsible amounts to the patient account correctly, and in literally a minute or so. Also AMD is compatible with using "Dragon" for voice text entry and especially SOAP note creation. One of the absolutely best things is, it doesn't matter what specialty or type of provider you are, it will cover all of the bases. I began using billing & practice management software in the 80's so I have a lot to compare AMD to, so take a CLOSE look at AMD, and take it for a test drive !!!

Cons

I think there should be the ability to do "Diagnosis pointing", so that U can define a specific Dx code to be most primary to each line item. For some practice types, that have more repitition of same or similar treatment from visit to visit, like PT or Chiro etc, I think having the functionality of somewhat more automated EHR note creating from visit to visit would also be helpful, even though AMD has a huge library of templates which is really awesome.

Lisa

Best PM Application out there - HANDS DOWN! NO COMPARISON TO OTHERS THAT ARE CURRENTLY OUT ON THE MARKET - I KNOW.

Listen... My words are worth their weight and gold! I do IT. I know computer software applications in healthcare. I have used almost everyone of them out there and can tell you this.. Billing. If you get another program your business will not be as financially successful as it could be. I know how to build databases, program and can tell you this was written by people who have done the job! I can't rave enough about the product! Worse one out there... Centricity - Most labor intensive billing module there is! It's horrible. It in itself can cause a company to always stay in the red. I am experiencing it now and have twice in the past.Centricity - GET THIS CAN'T PRINT DOSAGE ON PAPER CLAIMS YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY ADD IT. WANT TO PRINT A CLAIM FORM AND SAVE IT TO YOUR DESKTOP - CAN'T. - STAY AWAY FROM CENTRICITY - AMD - WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE BUT YOU WILL SEE TRIPLE THE CASH FLOW. - IT'S CRAZY THE BLACK AND WHITE OF IT.

Pros

Everything. - It would be lengthy to tell you the specifics of why it's better. Okay let's start here.... Everything is in a box - and it all flows and makes sense. button are where they should be. the process is smooth - I am a systems efficiencies expert and this is the only application that can follow suit. Online app can access from home.

Cons

Um.... THus the point. I swear to Jesus if you knew me and to know I sit and can't write anything shocks me... I am a critic is the worst way.. Advanced MD is the total package - I have no complaints about people support or applications. I don't think I would use advanced md if I was a physical therapist. there that's it - it is not the best application for PT or DME. - but all other specialties it is the best.

Pamela

AMAZING. THE CONCIERGE OF MEDICAL SOFTWARE.

Pros

I like everything about the product. But what I like most is how they listen to their customers. Us. They take our ideas and wants and make them reality. They have us meet with their engineers and designers to show them what we like and what we need. They take our ideas and incorporate them into the software. Then come back. Show us what they have done with our ideas. Then make them a reality. They listen then produce. Always giving us things to make our lives easier. A clinician is the person that should be designing the medical software. Everyone wants better and bigger. That’s what you get with ADVANCEDMD. You can’t go wrong with them.

Cons

I don’t know if this is really are any cons but ADVANCEDMD offers hundreds of templates. It’s hard to know what to choose if you haven’t used an EHR before. You can customize the templates to your liking once you know what will work best for your practice.

angela

Top Medical Practice Software

The reports provide providers with ways to grow their practice and to keep track of their revenue. So we can always inform them where there strengths and weaknesses to only help improve their practice.

Pros

Advancedmd is easy to use for both the pm and ehr. I love the ease of use of how quickly we can train doctors and office staff. I also have always been impressed with the support that I always receive from Advancedmd from every department.

Cons

When I'm in charge entry and a patient makes a copay and a payment, I wish we could apply it all in one screen instead of having to post the copay and then pull of the patients account to post the rest.

Reasons for choosing AdvancedMD EHR

When I started working for Veridan Partners 12 years ago I started with Advancedmd and have never wanted to change. When we get a new client I always like to impress upon them how great Advancedmd is .

Candice