DrChrono Software Reviews

Find out more:

Recommendations

FrontRunners 2022

Find out more:

• icon"I don’t have to have computers in every room. The program is easy to use, customizable and when I need help it’s quick."
  • icon"It's easy to use, easy to upload information, easy to find things again. Especially like things like flags, and the ability to easily see things like insurance cards."
  • icon"The best SOAP notes I have ever used from Millennium (2 versions), Clinic Sense, MassageBook, Vagaro & Mind Body. Dr. Chrono is a land slide winner."
  • icon"There is downtime that slows or stops practice up to 15 minutes every 3-12 weeks, which is awful. Support is not readily available as it used to be."
  • icon"Unable to process credit card payments. Customer service is poor."
  • icon"Occasional outages, worsening performance in the live claims feed for billing, and schedule performance issues recently."

Browse all DrChrono Reviews

• Have you used DrChrono and would like to share your experience with others?

Lauren

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

DrChrono

Dr Baden

Save thousands in upfront expenses.

I saved thousands of dollars in upfront expenses from other EHR companies and then pay update fees every year.

Pros

They keep current payers at the monthly price they started at when tasing the priced for new customers. I have been with and using DrChrono for about 6 years now. They are always improving. It is a nice system that can be used multi-disciplinary. I am a chiropractor an I used it with a a medical Nurse Practitioner. What initially appealed to me is there was no multi thousand dollar up front software like a lot of other EHR companies want to charge you, along with yearly upgrade fees. None of that here so you start off saving thousands.

Cons

The Price keeps raising every year, for new accounts. Customer service sinks and there is no direct phone number to call to have the issue solved right away, you have to email them and wait for them to get back to you.

Norman

Industry: Mental Health Care

Product is "Good", Service is "Outstanding"

Dr C is excellent for our practice, easy to customize templates and support is always fast and effective.

Pros

Easy to implement, great support, ease of use

Cons

Some of the features don't really function as well as advertised

Valant EHR Suite

Reasons for choosing DrChrono

I had experience with Dr C from a previous job and chose to stick with it

Response from DrChrono

Thank you for the kind words and helpful feedback!

Replied January 2020

Katherine

November 2022

Does not function as advertised.

The first year or two was great. The subsequent 4.5 years have been a nightmare. Because of how hard DrChrono makes it to export charts, I feel like a prisoner to it. Read only access to charts costs $150/month and require a 1 year contract, so I can’t even gradually move my charts to a new system.

Pros

Theoretically DrChrono offers a comprehensive product with all the features you would want under one roof. It was easy to learn how things are supposed to work. The UI is not too visually cluttered.

Cons

It doesn’t work as promised. When something is broken, the help desk first gaslights you,, trying to convince you that it’s not broken or that it’s your fault it’s broken. Sometimes tickets are open for a month or two before they even acknowledge that it’s broken. They don’t reliably notify the larger DrChrono community of system level problems. The status page with system uptime statistics is a lie. It presently boasts 100% up time in the last 30 days, but on 11/3/22, the system was so slow it was unusable. We cancelled patients and sent admin home because we had no access to charts, as did multiple of my colleagues using DrChrono.Also read your contract with a lawyer. The sales person will promise you the moon, and there will be things that seem like common sense, but if it’s not in the contract, they won’t honor it.

Valant EHR Suite

Reasons for choosing DrChrono

They claimed we would be able to easily add providers, and separate our accounts and charts if those independent providers left our practice. That turned out to be a lie.

Alexis

Industry: Medical Devices

August 2022

Excellent and cost effective

Pros

E prescribing and charting are easy to use

Cons

Customer support . I cannot improve because there is no technical support

Response from DrChrono

Hi Alexis - thank you so much for your feedback! We are sorry to hear you feel you have not received adequate support. We'd be happy to get you connected with the right person if you still need help - please either submit a support ticket here: https://support.drchrono.com/hc/en-us/requests/new or connect with your Account Manager. You can also reply directly to this message for further assistance. Thank you for being a DrChrono user!

Replied September 2022

Shannon

June 2022

Happy with our decision

Overall, Dr. Chrono has been a great value for the price. We are very pleased with the decision.

Pros

provider documentation. streamlined, looks good, customizable.

Cons

Would like it if my medical assistant could pin prescriptions ahead of time for me (the provider) to sign. That would free up time.

Reasons for choosing DrChrono

unhappy with their EPCS set up

Reasons for switching to DrChrono

Unhappy with the workflow / price of Athena. Poor customer service as well.

Tracy

Easy to use program with great support

Pros

I love how very self explanatory Dr. Chrono is. I find it very easy to navigate from reporting to scheduling. The support staff is very responsive and attentive for any and all questions. Any time I needed assistance I received responses promptly. Every staff member that I spoke with always took the time to show me step by step instructions and were always available for follow up questions down the road.

Cons

The biggest problem that my clinic has run into with this software is that we have three different doctors in our practice that each have there own ways of taking payments, but because we only have one license for Dr. Chrono is hard to know which doctor the patient owes money too considering they see all three. We have worked around the problem, but it's very time consuming. Also the reporting was very minimal but has gotten better through the years

Edward

November 2022

downtime

Unintuitive, clunky, unreliable. On the bright side, DrChrono has a lot of potential to do a lot of things that it doesn't realize due to poor customer service, bugs, and very poor user experience.

Pros

The e-prescribing module is the most user-friendly part of the EMR. It isn't great, however. It would be better if it would save prescription that were pending signature for signing later.

Cons

The frequent downtime, slowdowns and bugs are the #1 headache of being a DrChrono end user. Yesterday it ran so slow for 6+ hours that it was impossible to send controlled substance prescriptions. It was almost impossible to save notes. Appointment weren't getting saved to the schedule. It would take on the order of minutes to open a note. There are other glitches, like appointment reminders getting turned off, buttons disappearing, and new diagnoses getting added to patient charts. For example, many of my patient charts were automatically updated with diagnoses of ADHD and schizophrenia. There are lots of other quirks and problems: if you delete an appointment from the calendar, the note disappears from the chart. The chart shouldn't be that fragile!

Peer recommendation.

Reasons for switching to DrChrono

Valant was worse. It was more limited and buggy.

Response from DrChrono

Hi Dr. Edward, We appreciate your review and feedback! We know the downtime that occurred recently was frustrating, and we appreciate you bearing with us while we worked to get everything resolved. We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with patient charts and want to be sure we work to get this corrected. Have you submitted a support ticket yet? If you haven't, you can do so here: https://support.drchrono.com/hc/en-us/requests/new If you have submitted a ticket but are still having issues, please send us an email to marketing@drchrono.com with the support ticket number and any other information you think might be helpful. We appreciate you being a part of DrChrono and look forward to further assisting you! Regards, The DrChrono Team

Replied November 2022

Laura

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! DON'T DO IT!

We used them for several years, used to have great customer service and communication and it's pretty obvious they are going under and we were overpaying for years!

Pros

Customization of templates and scheduling calendar.

Cons

Many system crashes over the last year. We decided to switch to a different EHR system that was more user friendly, better online booking system and our account manager will NOT get back to us after WEEKS of sending emails and phone calls to get notes imported to new system and to cancel the account.

ChiroTouch

Reasons for choosing DrChrono

Customization of templates and could do notes from home (web-based)

Reasons for switching to DrChrono

Interface was way more user friendly, more integrative, and the customer service is exceptional!

Eric

Pros

i like the new addition of several financial reports that you can run to really analyze your practice with regards to billing

Cons

the support is sometimes difficult to communicate with. they are timely but ifeel there is a language barrier.

Stacey

September 2022

DrChrono

Medical record notes and updates

Pros

Easy to use. Love the messaging options.

Cons

Sometimes hard to find parts to add needed information.

Response from DrChrono

Thank you so much, Stacey! We are so glad to have you as part of DrChrono.

Replied October 2022

Amy

Massage Therapist Employee at a Chiropractic Clinic

I trust the business savvy of the Chiropractor that I worked for while using this software. He did his research and chose this software despite that it is less catered to a Chiropractic office than a medical doctor's office. There are many good aspects to it. It is ultimately more than what I would need as a Massage Therapist and not enough of what I would need. It was ideal to have it for my notes while being an employee, however. I wish all software had such wonderfully customized SOAP notes!

Pros

The SOAP notes were amazing. Being able to customize how to use them in terms of using intensity number scales, images, drop menus for frequently address muscles and more. It would also flood notes from a previous session, since there are often a lot of similarities, while allowing for easy changes to everything that could have been different that session. Well through thew, easy to use. The best SOAP notes I have ever used from Millennium (2 versions), Clinic Sense, MassageBook, Vagaro & Mind Body. Dr. Chrono is a land slide winner.

Cons

1) The system does not allow for varying appointment times for different types of practitioners. For instance, clients trying to schedule a 10min chiropractic adjustment & 60min massage ONLINE, would have their massage session only block off 10mins of the MT's schedule. (When the MT only had 15mins between clients, the client was led to believe they scheduled their 60min!)This created a lot of confusion for the clients and the staff needed to watch these bookings like a hawk. We regularly had to call clients & manually reschedule both the chiro & MT appointments over the phone, defeating the purpose of online scheduling. 2) It is very expensive at its base price. I realize that it is for health care professionals who are billing insurances companies etc. so the value may be there but it prices out many. Massage therapy practices, even those that bill insurance, have smaller profit margins than many doctor offices and could not afford this in most cases.

Dr John

The ultimate software partner for your Mac computer office!

Patients save me time and charting by communicating through the onpatient portal. I can run reports and have an immediate idea of what symptoms and frequency my patients are presenting and develop educational materials that support those diagnosis. I stay on top of my day by way of daily schedule emailed to me every morning.

Pros

Seamless integration with my MacBook, iMac and iPhone. Fast, knowledgeable support. The unlimited ability to customize for my sole practitioner non-force chiropractic practice. Easy to understand video tutorials which answer most questions without having to contact support. Robust, integrated systems, such as the ability to provide credit card processing. Knowing that drchrono is a leader and partner with Apple Health.

Cons

I get frustrated when I am on a learning curve with a new part of the software. But that's my problem!

Reasons for switching to DrChrono

Primarily because I am a long-time Apple device user and I was intrigued by the integration with drchrono. I was also interested with how drchrono is part of Apple Health and wanted to be part of that growth. Many of my patients have Apple devices and wanted to bring a more convenient, easy platform for them to engage.

Jessica

Responsive Support, and an Improvement-Focused Team

My regular interactions with DrChrono's support staff and management team were consistently wonderful. The software could be a little more intuitively designed. I appreciate the magnitude of the service DrChrono strives to provide, and how challenging it must be to create a software that covers all bases.

Pros

DrChrono is very powerful software that aspires to provide integrated solutions to many or all needs of a medical office. The customer support is absolutely the best part of DrChrono. It seemed clear to me that DrChrono was invested in listening to customer feedback and making updates to better serve their clients. Each page provides a great deal of information. It's worth investing the time to learn how to make the most of the software.

Cons

There was one day when significant updates had been made to the software without any advance notice to the users. Left work one evening, started getting messages about the changes from struggling staff the next morning. That said, this happened only once in two years, and was not typical of the software experience. Training period recommended. This is not necessarily pick-up-and-go software for most people. The learning curve is relatively high, solutions aren't always intuitive, windows err on providing almost too much information so it can be a challenge to know where to focus for the data you need in the moment if you're not familiar with the software. It may be useful to note that emails sent through Dr.Chrono to patients are not HIPAA-compliant. While it's technically possible to manage inventory in DrChrono, there are better services out there.

CharmHealth

Great Foundation, Good value - Feedback is not heard

Pros

Web interface is very good, particularly with the introduction of advanced task management. Easy to track electronic communication. Appointment templates are very helpful. App interface is great for physicians, but limited since it requires an iPad. Ideally, our Doctors could use a Surface device and have access to app interface and web interface as there are benefits to each interface. Billing Team - staff and support is rock solid. Responsive, polite and respectful of the importance of timely A/R processing and communication. By far, the Billing Team is the best representation of what DrChrono could be. The basic system is strong, robust and could be a truly excellent product with some relatively simple tweaks to managements attitude towards customer concerns.

Cons

DrChrono does not have empathetic listening skills for business concerns, outside of the billing staff. Any and all criticism is dismissed and blamed on the user (see their responses to reviews here). Simple measures that would save their customers time and money (like a Windows app) are ignored. They act like Apple is their biggest customer (no Windows or Android support despite requests from clients). Support tickets are routinely closed prior to problem resolution. They do not allow you to call in to support for assistance, and often it seems like staff does not read the initial problem request as you have to repeat yourself 3-4 times (and get escalated) until you reach staff who can assist with anything beyond the most basic issues. Issues that impact ability to handle patient care or conduct business are not escalated appropriately. Even if a change they make to the system results in mission critical failures, there is no option to quickly escalate to an appropriate stakeholder at DrChrono. Simple requests, like customized disclaimers to limit legal liability when patients use the patient portal, are brushed off despite the risk to their clients.

Amanda

Better than any other EHR I have ever tried

I like that they pay attention to suggestions and they are VERY polite and courteous. They always have a very pleasant attitude, very optimistic and helpful. Whenever I am addressing a concern, I feel that they pay attention and try to solve it if they can. The fact that they don't have a phone number doesn't concern me. My former EHRs DID have a phone number but you would wait on hold for 10 minutes before anyone picked up and then you'd just have to leave a message for the right person to call you back. DrChrono is very quick to respond to emails and it is about the same as if you had called them. Plus, when it is in email format, you can go back and see the answer to a question anytime because it is documented in email.

Pros

To me, it is very straightforward and easy to use and navigate. If you are computer savvy, you could be up and running during the same week that you purchase this EHR. I like how the iPhone app DOES have a schedule for the day (despite what a previous review said) and it is super-easy to take pictures of insurance cards and pictures of the patient or their problems. The fact that it is cloud based is nice because I can operate it in the 35 different nursing homes where I practice. I have used 3 other EHRS before (OfficeMate, My Vision Express, and Crystal PM - for optometry) and they all had less capabilities than DrChrono. The ease of e-prescribing and e-faxing is also wonderful, and the claim filing is much easier than with the other EHRs.

Cons

There are some glitches in the software. For example, billing for a self-pay item is tedious and time consuming and if you accidentally enter the wrong amount as what the patient paid and have to change it later, the computer can't handle the change and gets everything mixed up and says the patient has a credit when the patient does not have a credit. Sometimes you just have to delete everything and start all over if you come across a billing glitch like that.

Jimmy John

June 2016

Excellent EHR when I started my practice

Pros

I was one of the early users of drchrono EHR when I opened my neurology practice back in 2010, when it was the first truly user friendly and mobile platform to take advantage of the iPad and their features when they were recently released, and I knew then that it had a lot of potential. The ease and efficiency of making your own templates and documenting notes, etc. definitely not only made my transition into private practice less stressful but also more fun than I had anticipated. At that time, there were only a few good options, and many, if not all, were way out of the budget of a solo practitioner who was just starting out. Drchrono's staff were always friendly and willing to help every time I would call about issues, and I never had any problem with them. As my practice grew, I saw how the whole team and staff at drchrono also grew over the years, and how the services and products evolved and expanded at such a rapid pace in keeping with advances in technology, and they're always finding ways to help the physician and staff become more efficient. Even though I closed my practice in 2014 as I took on a new job as an employed physician for a hospital, I would not hesitate going back to using drchrono EHR, knowing how easy and intuitive their system is.

Cons

I still wish there is a better way to allow practitioners who no longer are practicing or no longer needing to keep their drchrono EHR account active, to be able to store their records and still have access to them per medicare guidelines; I'm still having difficulty syncing them to my Box account as instructed.

Hugo

Had a good run but it's time to move on.

Overall, my experience with DrChrono is neutral. It started off as a great product but went downhill quickly towards the end.

Pros

When we initial