ICANotes Software Reviews

ICANotes Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

• icon"I appreciate the ability to build algorithms, to quicken my pace, and ICANotes affords me this ability."
  • icon"I like the ability to do electronics prescribing. The system of clicking buttons to insert text helps speed documentation."
  • icon"Quick notes that touch on all important aspects of visit. Economical, especially in light of how much you receive for the monthly fee."
  • icon"The servers often go down, and on multiple occasions data has been lost due to this. The calendar is cumbersome, and SLOW."
  • icon"There are places where you can get stuck and can't move. For example, creating a patient chart that does not have all the required information gives you an error message."
  • icon"Worked well but it can be a bit slow sometimes. I can recall losing data, but I was ale to fully recover."

All ICANotes Reviews

Rafael

Software for Mental Health Professionals

I have not encountered business issues with ICANotes. They have excellent customer service. They provide ongoing training as needed and they take time to make you feel confident using the software.

Pros

This software has highly impressive features such as creating mental health forms such as screening questionnaires, creating treatment plans with measurable objectives, and very thorough mental health assessments. The case notes are very easy to create and include a comprehensive mental health status examination. Also, you can link your treatment plan to your case notes so that you can address the progress made in treatment when writing a case note. It has a comprehensive list of all psychotropic medications.

Cons

It is easy to integrate into your practice because it has all the necessary features for mental health providers, for example, CPT codes, assessment forms, consents, a fully integrated calendar with automatic reminders for the patients, and more importantly the capability to connect with a clearinghouse to submit electronic billing. It also has a patient portal. Very functional and extraordinarily helpful to create clinical notes. It has a telehealth platform too.

Reasons for choosing ICANotes

ICANotes is affordable, they provide excellent training and their software is very comprehensive.

Reasons for switching to ICANotes

I need a software that can give me the ability to write thorough clinical notes that comply with the standards of Medicare, Medicaid, and most provide insurance companies.

Rafael

Using ICANotes for clinical practivce

Pros

ICANotes offers all the necessary features to document clinical notes and asessments and at the same time to be in compliance with regulatory mandates by insurance companies and the government.

Cons

A dasboard to track documented and unducumented sessions that would allow to track any undocumented session. Also,

Reasons for switching to ICANotes

I need a software that can help me to document fast, thoroughly and efficiently.

October 2022

do not purchase ever

no support from customer support. They are not knowledgeable about their own system and not easily assessable.

Pros

nothing I truly have nothing positive to say

Cons

everything there is nothing that works the way it should

Exscribe EHR & PM and Intergy

changed companies

Kaitlyn

September 2022

Icanotes review

My overall experience with icanotes has been positive.

Pros

I like that it has pre-populated tabs for use on assessments, group note topics already compiled, and treatment plans goals etc to go hand in hand with sud diagnosis

Cons

The only downside of the system is how long it takes to compile notes, log on to the actual system, etc.

Reasons for switching to ICANotes

Had icanotes previously and it’s just Better overall

Jill

Industry: Mental Health Care

Finally, an EMR worth discovering!

I have been working within ICANotes for approximately 2 years, having transitioned from two different EMR systems. Overall, I have found ICANotes to afford a much broader spectrum of clinical flexibility for progress notes and new assessments. Care procedures, symptoms, medications, and historical data are all-inclusive and well organized for ease of use, which is vital for a fast-paced environment such as the one I work in. My particular job involves scribing for psychiatrists during back to back assessments for an acute psychiatric care hospital. This involves obtaining important historical data, current client concerns, daily medication changes, progress, and treatment plan options, all which have to be captured as quickly as possible as client is seated in assessment room. Having such an organized system helps me maintain an accurate and quick speed, which is crucial to my work. This is the first program I have used that caters to this need.

Pros

I appreciate the ability to build algorithms, to quicken my pace, and ICANotes affords me this ability. The various chart screens are easy to maneuver and contain clear and thorough guideline categories that require just a click of a button to incorporate into the notes. The medication areas are user-friendly and contain a broad selection of medications to choose from. At each chart front page, it is easy to see allergies and medical concerns in one glance, which promotes safety and easy recall to providers, when necessary.

Cons

A primary concern has been connectivity continuity. Our office has had to switch to a web based launch, as opposed to remote log-in, due to considerable interruptions and stalls, which were were very time consuming and frustrating, given the pace that my work requires to be maintained. However, the connection options we have now are much improved, overall. For the purpose of creating a tidy note, I also would prefer that categories to be left-align in each section so that the headers would not appear to be floating in the middle of the page. This may seem like a small thing, but, when creating over 30 notes a day and spending time left-aligning each category of use, this can be a time hindrance.

Time used: Free Trial

February 2012

ICANOTES REVIEW

Overall I would give ICANOTES high marks for ease of use and customizability .ICANOTES operates much faster than I expected even though the computing is done in the cloud. I had feared it would be like Allscripts prescribing system which is quirky and slow. I anticipate that using ICANOTES will allow me to go fully paperless within a year.

Pros

I have found it very easy to use and learn very quickly. I was able to complete almost all my notes during visits with patients by the second day of use. I also found that typing personalized information was actually easier than handwriting notes .As I see a fair number of Workmans Comp patients it insures legibility and makes for a more refined note which has to be submitted with claims. I have not yet used the customizable buttons yet (I've only been at this one week) but expect that using them will make my notes seem more like what I naturally write. I also like the ability to upload documents into patient charts. I had been exploring the possibility of moving to electronic records a number of years ago and kept coming back to ICANOTES. I had not pursued till now because I expected the learning curve to be steep and long. That has not been the case and I wish I had done this years go. Using DrFirst prescribing system with ICANOTES is a plus as it is integrated and quick.

Cons

It was a little difficult to be able to upload patient data - not because of ICANOTES but because other systems do not setup data to enable conversion to excel or csv files (Therapist Helper, for example). I also found that prescribing systems do not share information either (Allscripts). I fortunately did have enough data from my scheduling program(Scheduleview) to get the baics put in. I was getting a little panicked at the thought of having 700 patients entered manually. The scheduling program in ICANOTES is a little underpowered as I would like to see it have the capacity to send out reminders which I understand is being investigated.

Evelyn

Time used: Free Trial

February 2012

Software blessing!

Since I am an individual in private practice, I cannot speak for how well this works for groups. Yet, I can tell you it is a Godsend for myself and my billing agent, who is also registered on my account and can simply look at the appointment schedule for the week, see who came in, and go do the billing for those sessions. We no longer have to make time to meet, dragging along files and flash drives. I love that it takes only 5-20 (max) minutes to document anything, from initial evalutation to routine follow-up sessions. I certainly do recommend this software for any therapist who would enjoy appropriate documentation without reinventing complete notes from scratch after each session. At professional meetings I share with colleagues routinely about this software. My mentor, now retired, exclaimed (while sitting at my side, observing the ease and speed of utilization), "Where was THIS when I was in practice?!?"

Pros

I shopped for months to find an affordable and adequate program to assist me with keeping my documentation up to date. When I found ICANotes I was very pleasantly surprised to find it has exceeded my initial expecations. Once I got caught up with documentation, I found it takes only minutes to document after each session, adding the individual's unique comments and my observations easily to the appropriate sections allowed in the format. So easy to edit, save and print. I am a very grateful therapist!

Cons

Since I am one who does not enjoy reading manuals, I was happy to learn from videos provided by ICANotes. However, I would have preferred to have just "explored" the software and figured it out, I did sit through a few hours of video training to discover how to do what I needed to do. (I must admit I am happy to have those videos available for swift research, when needed.)

Kayla

Great product overall!

Our office began using this software 3 years ago when we first opened and ICANotes has been great ever since. The support team is excellent and they are always updating to make new features and improve user experience. If ever there were questions, they were quick to answer all of them. Impressed with the software. It was easy to use for everyone from new employees to seasoned veterans, young and aged. :) Only improvement I would make is to the calendar, but I know they are working on that. :) Great product, highly recommend.

Pros

Ease of note completion, preset prompts and questions for notes and assessments, e-prescribing, support team

Cons

Calendar, not compatible for medical services

Heather

April 2016

2 years with ICANotes and very pleased

Pros

I like the preset options that are available. I use many of them to speed up note taking. I also like the ability to add my own quick key options. My notes can be done very quickly with this program. I have a Macbook air and it works wonderfully. One thing that is important to me is customer service. I have used the online chat as well as called the support number. I am extremely impressed with the staff. They are fast, friendly, and knowledgeable. I always know when I contact support it will not take long and they will solve my problem.

Cons

I think the old 2008 windows interface could use some updating. There is probably a better flow they could come up with for placement of buttons but once you get used to where everything is it doesn't matter. Learning any notes program takes time at first.

May 2022

Very Helpful in the Medical Industry

Overall this was a great experience. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone in need of a good scheduling system.

Pros

I really liked how easy to use this was for scheduling patients and for records.

Cons

It would often mess up for one reason or another and the entire system would be down and unusable.

Deborah

Industry: Mental Health Care

AN EMR DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR BEHAVIORAL HEALTH THAT DOES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO PRACTICE.

We have been using the ICANotes program for 4 yrs. The customer service has been exceptional and courteous. They offer webinars and training for all aspects of the program and include tutorials on their website which is great when hiring new staff. ICANotes has assisted us with issues and accommodated our needs when modifications/adjustments were requested to suit our practice needs. The team at ICANotes has responded and implemented several options we suggested to improve our service delivery to clients. In addition, ICANotes has added many features to the program to meet the growing demands in the field of behavioral health. I love the fact this EMR was created by Dr. Richard Morgenstern, a psychiatrist. This program was specifically designed for behavioral health and not a modified version or altered from a medical model template. It is also a plus that one of the offices of ICANotes is within 30 min from our agency. Their staff was available to visit us and provide support when we opened in 2012. I have seen this company grow rapidly in 4yrs. since using this program which as benefited us in our growth as well. I gave ICANotes for every category primarily because it is well deserved for their hard work in keeping up with integration and the ever changing guidelines with coding, billing, and documentation etc., in behavioral health, which has made my life so much easier with running my business. However, the I gave for the value of money is a double edged sword.....And in no way do I want this to reflect as a negative connotation to the program. The rating is not entirely due to the cost of ICANotes program but also includes regulation guidelines set forth by many Insurance providers. The reimbursement rates set by insurance providers are not increasing at a rate they should be to providing services in behavioral health field. An increase in rates would tremendously help offset the additional costs accrued for agency's to remain in compliance with state, federal and local regulations thus, allowing agencies to add additional features that could really benefit service delivery. **Just an idea.......maybe to see some type of incentive programs offered to exist ICANotes customers who are growing and continue to add clinicians and features to their ICANotes program. That would be great. All in all, this is a phenomenal program, and I would highly recommend it to all behavioral health clinicians and practices.

Pros

The program does everything we need. All tasks can be completed with the features encompassed in the program.

Cons

Minor issues...... 1- I find the appointment book is extremely slow. I was told it would improve several months back but, the staff reports this most often and is the most reported issue that becomes time-consuming for staff scheduling and is frustrating for clients waiting on the phone. 2- Populating the Treatment Plan - when completing a follow-up treatment plan it populates every treatment plan into the new one created. This becomes costly if you have a client for 3 years + Ex. A treatment plan every 6 months for 3 years and an average of 4-5 pages per plan x 6 treatment plans printed for a client, the last treatment plan cumulates to 30 pages. It doesn't allow the plan to start over with a fresh slate for a new treatment plan without including the old ones as well. (Unless I haven't figured it out, which may be the case) :)

Yes to Icanotes

I have been using Icanotes since 2012 and do not regret the decision to go with Icanotes. I had researched numerous EHR's and found this one to be most affordable and customizable. There have been little problems along the way, but support has been right on top of correcting any problems. It also is a do it all EHR, including progress notes, billing, patient portal, etc. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It is easy to learn to use. First day I used it, I was able to keep up with notes throughout day. E prescribing is integrated with Dr. First which makes for easy record keeping and taking care of renewals. Icanotes is also customizable by creating buttons which will insert appropriate language where needed.

Cons

Initially, there were some quirky things about navigating , which have since been corrected.

Response from ICANotes

Hi Michael, thank you so much for your feedback and thank you for being a long-term customer! We really appreciate the review and we're looking forward to serving you in the future.

Replied September 2018

Best EHR for the mental health professional!

I believe ICANotes represents the best value in EHR for the small two medium-sized mental health practice. No other system offered is as well tailored to providing the type of medical charts kept by mental health professionals. The vast majority of EHR systems on the market were designed for standard medical practices geared towards labs/procedures/meds and are ill-suited to the needs of the mental health professional.

Pros

Built from the ground up for psychiatry needs, and quite customizable. Allows the quick creation of patients notes without the need for much typing. Integrates EHR with billing and calendaring to provide a complete solution for individual providers or small to medium practices.

Cons

Visual interface is dated, some tasks take many clicks to accomplish. However, both of these are being worked on by the company.

Brett

A horribly misrepresented product

Regrettably I was sold a bill of goods. ePrescribe functionality with DrFirst was only partial of what the standalone DrFirst product offers, the integration with my existing credit card software was promised but after integration was useless and I reverted back to my old system anyway. Customer service was always available and helpful, but at the end I was charged for 2 months of access for using the program for just 2 weeks. They would not refund the 2nd month of charges because they do not refund for cancelations as a policy.

Pros

- the customer service was within the product and relatively immediate in response. This is helpful as you will need them a lot.

Cons

- ICANotes is noticeably slower relative to other EMRs and other computer programs. - There are places where you can get stuck and can't move. For example, creating a patient chart that does not have all the required information gives you an error message. - The actual look of ICANotes is grainy and unclear. It is a difficult program to look at throughout the day. - Scrolling is too fast. The windows of text are small and highlighting and scrolling through text within the text boxes is too rapid and you easily overshoot your selection. - copy/paste functionality is a deal breaker. There is an app-specific clipboard you must use as an intermediary. - the inability to easily refer to prior notes during a session. In the middle of a session, it is difficult to answer questions such as, "did we talk about sleep hygiene last time?" All the entries are kept together. - updating different areas of the medical chart can only happen through certain notes. I had one patient during a regular session tell me that she was recently diagnosed with a new medical condition. I had to start a new "complete assessment note" for that solitary piece of information for it to populate the medical history section, but then return to the progress note to finish out the session. - the active problem list is terribly difficult to manipulate and can only be done through cumbersome treatment plans. - there is a separate website just to upload documents to the chart. - no patient communication log

Reasons for choosing ICANotes

ICANotes integration with my current credit card software. Which turned out not to be what was promised.

Reasons for switching to ICANotes

I wanted the DrFirst integration as well as the integration to my existing credit card software. Both integrations were just a fraction of the original sand-alone products.

Christine

Very Basic Program , could be great but needs to be updated

It is easy to use and easy to train new employees to use it.

Pros

Overall it is simple to train new Mental health techs for our Mental health rehab ( community based services) It is easy to access from the field, but clicking is difficult because of the way you must click when using it on a tablet or smart phone. The system is relatively easy to use for those new to the industry. It is less expensive than many of the other integrated programs, BUT once you realize you now pay for the ehr/billing program and now you are gettiing a seperate bill for the clearing house and you are having to pay a monthly fee for each mental health tech and each licensed person both to icn and to a clearinghouse, it is suddenly much more expensive than using a high end integrated service.

Cons

The billing software is a horrible, with repeated problems and errors, very limited audit trail, very limited ability to speak with the best clearing houses, relegated to smaller, less advanced clearing houses, lots of lag, slow at times, notes that are saved disappear, lots of weird glitches that tech support has no clue on how to resolve the issues. It is too busy to look at, if you are dealing with it all day long, it is fussy and cluttered. The report system both on the ehr side and the billing side are weak at best. There are many reports that we used in our previous software that are not available, There is no end of day processing and end of day report available. It is built on an old coding platform and needs to be modernized, it could be the best in the industry, it does a lot of basic things right.. Uploading files and downloading files or reports is not easy, you have to log into a different website, which is again time consuming if you are attempting to run reports, export them into excel etc, it cant be done on the main website, you run the report, then rather than just export it, you have to click export then go log on to a different website to retrieve it. It needs more integration. Everything feels like it was added on and just hanging on in piecemeal fashion to the original ehr.. the ehr is solid, good and great to use. I wish it was abit more flexible where you could add fields or have a form uploaded and then be usable in the system