• Pros

• "I love the ease of using the product. Very user friendly for all types of technical levels. "

• "The quick and easy way to use it for our patient. Easy to input information without any problems and fast working."

• "Ease of use, billing aspects were very useful."

• Cons

• "The price for this software is beginning to be a bit high for our practice, but the software itself is amazing."

• "There can be times of frustration in finding things in the system, but those are easily handled with a little research. I'd like the option to really personalize the reports available."

• "I would like a bit more customization freedom within the software, but overall, it has not been a huge issue."

Browse Kareo Clinical EHR Reviews

Cynthia from Cynthia McQuade LCSW LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

#1 User-Friendly EHR Ever Used!

In my experience of over twenty years using various EHR software platforms, I and can honestly attest that Kareo is by far the most user friendly and comprehensive EHR I have encountered in my professional career. I plan to be a loyal customer for life, thank you, Kareo!

Pros

Kareo is; user-friendly for people with little software experience, ready to go with little training, excellent implementation support, good customer service, amazing templates, forms and SALT Feature that cuts time & makes documentation a snap. The formatting/presentation of EHR notes is organized & professional. I love how I can select what information to share and can easily do so through the Care Coordination feature option in each note. I enjoy having all my medical, billing, records, HIPAA approved/secured Telehealth platform, Reputation Watch, client engagment, and much more...all from one vendor! Lastly, Kareo always asks for feedback on how they can improve & additionally demonstrates their value to customer service by providing excellent communication, accountability & follow-through. Kareo offers a superior platform and fair pricing. Highly recommended.

Cons

I would like to be able to attach documents to the internal email system when communicating with patients.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

no other products were considered.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Advanced MD was a nightmare. Glitchy service, frequently down & rarely worked, terrible customer service on the phone with RUDE people for hours and hours, no accountability. A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!!!

Kimberly from Hope, Health, Healing

Great service and value

I'm very happy with the product. I think there are so many great features built in and a lot of add ins that you would probably have to pay for seperately, so this is great value for the cost.

Pros

I really like that we have a success coach to help navigate the system. Someone who is checking in on me regularly to see if I have questions and to set up time to connect virtually to answer questions and go over the platform. There are many different options for help if you need it, Kareo help desk, Kareo university, live virtual tours. Ability for them to push information and market for you.

Cons

I can't say there is anything that I like least, it is fairly easy to maneuver and a lot of it for me is learning the system. I'm a little slow to learn, but there are so many ways to receive help. I will say that my success coach is wonderful, it was a little difficult initially to schedule appointments with him, but we came up with a game plan that resolved this concern.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Honestly it was the price. For an independent business owner it was great quality and price.

Stephanie from Mirror 2 the Heart, PLLC

Listen carefully!

Didn't get a chance to use Kareo because of the misrepresentation of information upon signing with the company. We thought we got a trial period in the first two months but later found out we got two months free contingent upon a one year contract. We never transferred data because we found out in the first month that to transfer our data would cost us $1200 or we could manually do it ourselves and they figured the first two months set up would give us time to prepare for this undertaking. When we decided that we didn't want to continue due to the ridiculous amount to transfer data they told us that we would have to pay a termination fee for getting out of the contract early. My challenge is this: why didn't your sell rep say this up front? Why didn't you do a recording for us to say we do understand this is a 1 year contract? or Why not give us something in writing to sign saying this is a 1 year contract." We didn't find this out until after we said we didn't want this program. They are sharks and they will come after you if you decide this. So I tell anyone who wants the fancy bells and whistles of Kareo please confirm if it is indeed a one year contract, how much is the migration of data and what is the termination clause? I was very disappointed in their level of professionalism in this case. They are still trying to charge us and get this...we never used their EHR. We never went live and they want us to pay the termination fee.

Pros

Interface is amazing! They also had video tutorials to help you learn about the system. You also would be assigned a success coach to assist during this time as well.

Cons

The fees to transfer data was too much. They expected us to pay at least $1200 to transfer the demographics.

The demo was amazing!

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Because we were told that Kareo had features that CounSol didn't. CounSol is an outstanding model and I wouldn't have considered anything else if they had what we needed.

Leann from Leann Silhan, MD PLLC

Disappointed

I wish I could say something that is being solved with Kareo, but at best it's a functional bare bones EMR, where you can document notes and bill. If you need much more than that, chose another EMR.

Pros

Documenting the H&P and progress note is pretty straightforward and easy. The superbill completion is also easy and seems to function well.

Cons

Where to start... first, it seems that Kareo expects that you and your practice should conform to their clunky set up. after the initial sales call (their sales guy is great), you're expected to schedule weekly phone visits with Kareo's on boarding coordinator. She made a point to say how busy she is and need to schedule far in advance so that she can fit you into her schedule. Really? The coordinator can't actually do anything for you but tells you how to work through the system and what training to do next. I stopped doing these calls after it was clear anything I needed help with, she was not actually able to do anything, so I had to contact the ones who could actually help me. The training is like 100 hours. Any program that needs 100 hours/ 1000 sections of training, is not user friendly. There are many many other issues (ICD10 coding while trying to order labs which have to be completely reentered in addition to the chart, my systems biller getting locked out of the system repeatedly due to issues with the web platform interfacing with the desktop program, significant issues of setting up e-scribe -hours on the phone), but probably the worst is that the patient portal is essentially non existent. I won't go into the details but if you want a functional patient portal, chose a different EMR.

Response from Kareo

Replied November 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you feel Kareo has not met your expectations. Success Coaches serve as your main point of contact upon sign up during your implementation, their role is to guide assistance through milestones and facilitate processes between different departments (enrollments, training, support, etc). Although training may be intensive, it is very important that it be in-depth due the nature of charting and billing. We are proud of the time we've invested in our software, and are confident that the solution will help overcome any hurdles you are currently facing. We are dedicated to your success as a practice and want nothing more than to address your specific concerns and work with you to ensure your practice becomes productive and thriving. We will work with your success coach and our support team to have someone reach out to you as soon as possible to discuss your needs. Best, Kareo

Mark from Premier Physicians

Loving the new Telehealth

Pros

I love the simplicity and layout of Kareo, making my day to day tasks much easier and less time consuming. I’m also loving the new integrated telehealth interface. It’s simple and direct and that’s always a plus in healthcare.

Cons

Kareo can sometime run slow or lag, I’m sure this is due to being inundated with updates and users but it does disrupt flow when Kareo does not work properly.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Price and reviews. Kareo just seemed like a great product for the price.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Practice Fusion did not support electronic medical record.

John from Bond Street Partners

Not designed for a medical practice

This brief trial of the product has been revealing. My practice is simple, and my requirements are simple. I need to prescribe medications to sick patients. This organization cannot meet the most basic requirement of an EHR in the 21st century. It is a billing platform. That is the priority. THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING OF YOUR PATIENTS does not enter into their business plan. This is a corporation. Their goal is to make lot of money. Period.

Pros

There are no advantages to this EHR vs other comparable EHR's.

Cons

This corporation has not prioritized clinical practice. It is essentially a long-standing billing platform that threw together an EHR to get more money from clinicians. You can not reliably and consistent order medications with this platform. There is always some sort of failure in the system, either electronic prescribing, or electronic prescribing of controlled substances, or both. There is no meaningful customer support. A physician, or even the owner of the company, is unable to explain simple issues to IT. Instead, regardless of who you are, or what your status in the organization is, you must call customer support and waste an inordinate amount of your valuable time only to have, essentially a low-level telephone operator tell you THEY will "escalate" your issue to IT. There is no follow through, nor accountability. Nothing will be fixed or addressed. You can not speak with anyone who is capable of actually DOING anything.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

My biller uses Kareo. That was THE ONLY REASON. It was to facilitate billing. Bad decision. .

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Similar IT/Support issues. Customer service/satisfaction must be first - in any business. That's Business 101. They get an "F".

Response from Kareo

Replied January 2021

Hello John, Thank you for sharing your experience with us here. We sincerely apologize for any difficulty you've had with our system and value the feedback you have provided. We have looked into your account and your specific complaints listed therein, and we recently have updated our software to overcome the concerns you have raised. Someone from our support team has reached out to you and has discussed this with you and your office. Thank you again for your time and working with us towards a resolution, Kareo

Laura from Oasis Healthcare

Kareo has been a lifesaver

Kareo has been a 180 degree turn from our previous EHR. It is so easy to use! We learned the majority of functions in 1-2 days working with the product. Education and help is easy to use and follow (and quick). Support staff has been very helpful. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] did a great job.

Pros

Kareo is visually appealing and easy to find the most important features or patient demographics, note writing, communicating with staff and patients.

Cons

I would like the medical notes to be as appealing as the rest of the platform. It starts to look templated. Also wish the notes would read more like sentences that +/- I would also like a nursing notes section.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Prognocis was WAY too complicated, difficult to use. Clearly developed by IT for IT, not clinical staff.

Cheryl from In Harmony Wellness IHW LLC

Clinical EHR

KAREO Clinical effective for clinical charting; offers SALT (same as last time) for charting which is a tremendous time saver. System experiences technical difficulties more often than necessary, which significantly disrupt office flow and add a significant amount of time to charting. Issues with medication prescribing; an "UNKNOWN" prescriber has been appearing on my patients for refills and have currently been waiting over 1 month for an answer or explanation of this occurrence.

Pros

User friendly clinical format with integrated features and templates. Clinical EHR calendar easy to use.

Cons

Customer service severely lacking; non-existent! My personal customer service advocate NEVER returns calls or answers e-mails.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Assured impeccable customer service and price competitive.

Harish from Goyal MedPsych Inc.

Absolutely unacceptable customer service, crappy E prescribing integration

leaves a lot to be desired.

Pros

pretty similar to other EMR's available out there, nothing great.

Cons

Forget about getting anyone in customer service to answer the phone call, long wait times. There is an option to create a case inquiry on their website, Noone looks at that carefully, no proper follow up except an email after few days stating that case will be closed if I do not respond to it. Unbeleivable. Esprescribing integration is poor, cant prescribe 2 controlled medication at the same visit, system rejects the 2nd medication, have to log out of the system, log back in, go into the chart again and prescribe it agin. Scared to call customer service as they dont have time for these issues.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

It was an advise by a practice who was using their billing software.

Response from Kareo

Replied February 2021

Hi Dr. Goyal, Thank you very much for your detailed comments about your experience with Kareo. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and are committed to addressing your concerns about prescribing multiple medications in the same chart on our platform. Your question has been brought to our technical team and one of our escalation specialists will be communicating with you again with the next steps. Thank you, Sherwin

eunice from Healing Hope Behavioral clinic

best choice I ever made

when ever I need any help and reach out I always get the help I needed right away

Pros

the easiness, the friendliness of the customer service . and the price is very good. kareo is very easy to learn

Cons

i wish there will be customer services help 24/7

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

the price and what they have in the package and the sign on bonus

their service sucks

Melvin from Global Outreach TeleRehabilitation Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Things I would like to see

Overall I think this is a very good platform and very easy to understand.

Pros

Karen is a very easy platform to maneuver. I like how you can find you client data with one or two clicks.

Cons

I would like to see patients that are made inactive be placed in an archive. By looking at names that are no longer a client make it takes longer for me to maneuver through the platform. Also the charge for telemedicine sessions is ridiculous. I have to pay $7.00 per session. Telemedicine is about 80% of my business so I never can budget for Karen it is always a surprise at the end of the month. Also if you put something on a Company Karen account you should have the capability of talking it off. Whenever I log on to my account I have to look at a Doctor who is no longer with my company but for some reason you all cannot take it off. Your company will lock us out of the system without notification, yet our bill never adjust and we have to stop out business. I cannot perform any telemedicine sessions. If we can get a notice so we can inform our patients that would be great especially when we are talking about mental health patient with anger management and PTSD issues. When you turn off notification for a client no one should make contact with them. The telemedicine side say they have to send out three notifications however they sometimes goes out in crazy hours. So when a company turns off notification we should know best.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

It was a easier for my providers to understand. However I will continue to look for other options as long as you charge me $7.00 dollars per sessions, I will always be on the look out for another platform.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

The other platform was too complicated.

April 2014

Lee Peter from Southern Illinois Medical Specialists, LLC

April 2014

Ease of use, full features

Pros

Having working with various paid and free electronic health record services at various institutions, I came across Kareo while researching for my presentation on mobile technology, cloud computing, and medicine at a national medical conference. The features, intuitive interface, ease of use, and HTML5 programming, which allows cross-platform interface and real-time update speed was remarkable. I've seen institutions spend millions of dollars on electronic health record/ambulatory medical record systems for the physicians' offices. However, the amount of time it takes to get the staff trained, the monthly subscription fees, the lag time for the providers due to complexity of the systems, constant system crashes, and the need to do extensive programming for these paid systems make me wonder why nobody has come up with a free EHR/AMR system that has all the features needed for physicians and mid-level providers without all the hassles. Most EHR/AMR systems are user-friendly for the billers and clerical staff, but not intuitive or user-friendly for the clinic staff and providers. This is not the case with Kareo. Kareo is extremely easy to navigate for any physicians, midlevel providers, and clinic staff. They can get the system running with little or no training because the interface is extremely intuitive and simple with built-in and customizable templates that allow you and your staff to complete intake, history, physical, and charting in minutes. The system has all the features that meet Stage I and II CMS meaningful use and allow your practice to obtain the EHR bonus with ease. Most of all, it is built for both mobile and desktop platforms. My staff and I can access Kareo EHR system with our mobile phone, PDAs, iPads, and Google-based pads with ease. The integrated billing features and electronic prescription features, along with integration with various laboratory and diagnostic test centers make Kareo a complete EHR solution for small to mid-size practices. It is not easy to impress me, having built the entire IT infrastructure myself for my own practice and for several medical practices around the country. Kareo's cloud-based EHR system makes it easy for migration, conversion, and implementation, without having to upgrade to expensive server systems. Any office with a desktop and mobile device can get the system up and running within hours, not days or weeks or months. I am impressed and amazed with all the features within Kareo. I would recommend any office looking to migrate, to convert their existing costly EHR, or to migrate from paper charts to EHR should consider Kareo.

Cons

It needs a patient health record/portal and automatic appointment reminders to patients via text to mobile phones, e-mails, and letters.

Mary from Advantage Physician Billing and Consulting

KAREO IS A LIFESAVER

My husband's words will be all I need to express: " OMG! I got my wife back!" Is that enough?

Pros

As a billing company, woman and entrepreneur, I found myself fumbling with other software and working myself to death. Ask me about a software and I will tell you about it. With Kareo, I was able to drop all of my clients into one system at once. Set up was easy and painless and I was able to keep my promise that billing never stops and that made my clients happy. With Kareo EMR and PM accessibility, my billing company soon found itself able to add not only consulting, training and virtual front desk/scheduling capabilities, but we are now unveiling our Virtual IT Director department so that we are able to continue growing. All this could never have happened if Kareo was not introduced into my life.

Cons

Listen. There is always something you don't like about a software. There have been some, but they are so insignificant, that I am unable to recall any that have not been enhanced with a request. In fact, if there is a request that will work for the entire Kareo community, you are encouraged to provide that so that they can put it into the software. That is how versatile this company is. For a billing company, they are there to hear you and encourage you and help you grow. You cannot say that from any one else. You really cant. So, yeah, things I don't like, I voice and they fix.

Robert from North Jersey Whole Health Center, LLC

Expensive Glorified Text Editor

I used the EHR and billing for a little over 2 years until Kareo decided to start charging an outrageous fee for the EHR part, and then made it nearly impossible for me to get my patient charts out of the software and provided ZERO support for this, and then ultimately deleted several years worth of patient records.

Pros

This EHR is essentially a glorified text editor with billing functions. This gave it the ability to adapt through templates and macros to a wide variety of documentation scenarios, not pidgeon-holed into a specific speciality.

Cons

Billing was not fully integrated into the EHR, meaning that the billing needed to be entered separately from the charting in a separate program that didn't carry over more than demographic information from the charting portion.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

At the time, I chose this EHR because it had free EHR capability with (partially) integrated billing for a fee.

Bailey from Atlanta Pediatric Nutrition

User friendly

Pros

Very easy transition to this software. User friendly.

Cons

Would like to customize super bill more Need capability to have multiple participants in telemed visits And to resend link as needed.

Liked the interface better

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

When they started charging for PF I wanted to see what else was out there and Kareo was better product.

Jeremy from Purpose Psychiatry

Kareo EMR

Overall experience is remarkable. I would not go back to others.

Pros

Extremely user friendly, customizable, form and function agreeable and relevant to low-mid-or high volume settings. I have used many EMR products and Kareo by far out performs competition.

Cons

Occasionally has slow periods of operation but rare. Not really a big deal.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Better performance, customization and reliability

Better overall

Lisa from Lisa Haworth, MD

Kareo EHR

Support has been outstanding. They can be reached within moments. There have not been any systems issues so Support has been used to determine how something functions. Our coach has taught us a lot and continues to reach out to see if we need anything.

Pros

The office is using Kareo EHR. The platform is modern and fast. It is available on PC, iPad, and iPhone which allows easy use in and out of the office. Patients like electronic reminders. Since the EMR is working well, my biller will being using Kareo PM shortly.

Cons

The platform doesn’t have a way to order requests that are not labs or imaging studies but we have used a round about to address this. Kareo upgrades system monthly so this may be addressed in the future.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Kareo pricing is fair and the product is robust. Support with Practice Fusion was poor during the trial period and Aethna pricing is high. I am very happy with my decision to switch to Kareo.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

The previous EMR system had been used for almost 10 years as a desktop app. Since the office wanted to become cloud based, Kareo EHR provides more benefits compared to the previous company. Also the previous company’s Support has been declining.

Roya from Yashwant Chaudhri MD APC

Knowledgable - Affordable - Reliable - Easy to use - On it

We implemented Kareo into 3 of our behavioral health clinics a few years ago to get rid of paper charts and improve our collection processes. Not only were those 2 goals met, we have seen an increase in patient satisfaction, provider compliance with documentation, and our clinical processes have become streamlined. Kareo has benefited not only our business, but our patients which is our top priority.

Pros

Kareo has everything any practice and/or speciality would need from an EHR / PM system. Kareo has a user-friendly scheduling platform that allows office staff to efficiently complete their duties. Our providers have had a positive experience with the clinical platform that allows them to e-prescribe, document effectively, as well as ensure compliance with CMS, MACRA, MIPS, etc. The billing platform is also easy to use, but what I like most is the reporting system. You can literally run a report for anything! Kareo rocks!

Cons

What is there not to like? Kareo is the only way to go! #teamkareo

PATRICE from THE LINK & OPTION CENTER

SENOR BILLER

BY US BEING NEW TO THE SOFTWARE WE NEEDED TO CALL FOR HELP OFTEN. EACH TIME WE CALL THE REPRESENTATIVE WAS VERY HELPFUL AND PATIENT SOLVING OUR ISSUE. WE NEVER WAS DISSATIFIED WITH A CALL FOR HELP. THEY ARE TO BE ADMIRE FOR THIER COURTESY AND PATIENTS.

Pros

ITS VERY EASY TO NAGIVATE AND SAVE TIME ON SUBMITTING CLAIMS

Cons

THERE ARE NONE. THIS SOFTWARE HAS PROVEN TO BE GREAT.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

SEEING ALL THAT KAREO HAD TO OFFER AND HOW AMAZING THIS SOFTWARE IS IT, WE COULD NOT WAIT TO GET STARTED. WE LOVE THIS SOFTWARE

Jon from JS MEDICAL BILLING, LLC

Kareo

Simple to use Templates are easy to set-up

Pros

Robust - perfect for high volume claims Simple to set-up and use

Cons

Credit card payments get locked and cannot be adjusted

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Robust - perfect for high volume claims Simple to set-up and use By far the best technical support - you call and you speak with live person anytime within the 12 hours daily.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Needed better software with cloud-based capabilities and better services

MIULAN from LIFETIME FAMILY CARE

Useful Program

Like I said prior, the program is easy to navigate, input, and search for information. Overall, this is a great program to use I would recommend this program to another facility.

Pros

There are many reasons that this program is useful. A few is: 1) The ease of access to information looking for 2) The ease of program navigation 3) Customer Care quality (when and if there's an issue) 4) Fast response and how the issue is handled 5) The ease of inputting of information

Cons

The only thing that I find to be an issue is the "Rejection" responses to the Clearinghouse reports. For example, I have had a few claims that were rejected with "Remaining Patient Liability is required when Line Adjudication Information is not sent." I have gone over the COB from when I posted the payment and all the required information, payments applied, and patient coinsurance is all inputted correctly, but I still got a rejection notice. To me, that is a little confusing.

Rebecca from Rebecca Lincoln, LPC-S

Excellent Customer Support and Usability

Kareo has made my transition to private practice easier and less stressful. In addition to documentation and billing, there are additional features that have been helpful such as eFax and a provider profile. These saved me the trouble of adding a fax machine or needing to set-up an additional website. I am very happy with Kareo and the support I am receiving.

Pros

Kareo has been very easy to use. There are several template which made it easy to set-up and maintain documentation. I am especially impressed with the coaching and customer support. My questions have been answered quickly and problems have been resolved efficiently. The people with whom I have spoken have been friendly and professional.

Cons

As an independent practitioner, I do not need to create elaborate reports. I have not tried any of the reporting features.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

I was impressed by the customer service features of Kareo. I have stayed because I find Kareo adds to the simplicity of my practice by having a number features all in one place. And, they still have great customer support.

Julie from Indiana Wellness

User Friendly

My practice went from paper charts to this so it was a huge project when it was in process. We had great support when ever we called, which made the transition less painful.

Pros

Easy to maneuver though, very user friendly.

Cons

1. I wish in the insurance section there was a copy of the patient's card - it is an extra step to go view the card, although the most important information is in the insurance section, you have to go to documents to actually visualize the card. 2. When reviewing "Notes" if there are multiple pages and you are looking for a specific service that was provided on page 5, every time you save and close the note you are viewing you are directed back to the first page. This again is an extra step. 3. When viewing a note, the date of the note does not appear on the note. you must save and close the note to see the date. This is very frustrating when you can't tell what date the note was done.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

We felt that the reviews and the customer support were great. We also loved the cost of the system.

Bridget from Lamplight Counseling Services, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Does better for a medical practice

I love being almost paperless and appreciate being able to upload the papers we have.

Pros

I like the dashboard the most. It is easy to read and has a lot of information on each client as well as ability to schedule and take a payment. I also lov ed the drop downs for notes and SALT notes and SALT bills! Th hey save so much time.

Cons

Billing and notes are not well integrated. I cant keep track of clinician notes, and they keep messing up the bills because there is more than one way to do them and multiple ways to mess them up. It's made for doctors so I can't customize it for my practice. It doesnt include assessments and interventions, good diagnostic assessments, or integrated psychological assessments. I canxt control what forms my clinicians use, and am lost without medical biller. There isn't online signatures for forms either.

Christopher from Psychiatry Austin

Good for EHR

We use it for the telemedicine and also for the EHR so that we can do see our patients and it is all in one They have a app and a desktop version which is a little bit complicated but still user friendly. The whole system is easy actually.

Pros

With Covid we had to go virtual overnight, literally. I panicked and assumed we would do zoom but after researching our EHR Kareo I reached out to them and was able to get telemedicine connected in no time. It is easy to use and user friendly.

Cons

I only would say that I wished customer service was more responsive but you also have to consider that they probably had a 10000% increase with covid and everyone had to go virtual. Now that it has calmed down they have been much, much better for certain.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

cost was where we needed it to be and was cheaper than many other programs out there.

Sandy from ClaimPro Medical Billing

Kareo is the best!

Kareo is always trying to improve and they tell you their progress in that area and give routine updates. Kareo is mindful of billing requests and takes suggestions very seriously.

Pros

Kareo is the best software and most user friendly software I have ever used! One click later you can almost always find what you are looking for and the help you might need if you don't! It covers nearly every aspect of billing without being redundant or confusing. If you are just starting out this is the one to get, if you have been at this for a while then Kareo will cover all your bases at a pretty reasonable price.

Cons

The aspect I like least is the support HOWEVER; this has greatly improved since I started with Kareo about three years ago. I had to call support just last week and it could not have been better so I hold high hopes for this area!

Linda from Linda Buseman PMHNP, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

I began to use this system with templates that I created. I have used different systems and found this feature to be difficult. I have designed my own website so I am not a stranger to template making tasks.

I appreciate the discount for e prescribing only. I am a single person office, pay for a schedule system that is excellent and allows the pt. to prepay, and tech support is five + stars.

Pros

I can e prescribe and this is a great time saver. However, I would like to more easily print scripts for controlled substances without using 1 sheet per script. I treat ADHD and my patients often require 6 scripts.I do not use the scheduler, notes, etc. Because I do not take insurance, it appears that the insurance features would be beneficial. I also like the ability to find diagnoses for ICDM-10 by referencing ICDM-9.

Cons

One must find the pharmacy in demographics so as not to waste time. Using the prescription generator oftentimes will display those applicable pharmacies as does the demographics page.

Michelle from Health Back Center, Dr Rebecca Pearson LLC

Easy to setup and train new staff; powerful enough to really perform

We selected Kareo to use right out of the gate for a veteran Doctor opening a start-up clinic with zero initial staff. Kareo training support during our initial phase was excellent, consistent, and readily available by phone and by online chat (a feature that we LOVE). After the initial training phase, they have remained readily accessible, although due to the stability and ease of the product, we rarely need assistance even at the 9 months marker. As a consultant in billing and insurance for over 20 years, I have put it through the paces really hard, expecting optimal performance, and placing many demands on performance and accuracy that some might not. Kareo has performed well while enabling me to easily train four new staff (who had no previous experience in the field) how to run the front office functions and even the initial entry of encounters for billing. We like the security available to various levels of user profiles! Very helpful to include or exclude certain functions by employee. Another area we really use is the TASK function. With several employees, billing located in a different location, and all working different shifts, the task function is a huge plus for this software. Kareo makes it easy to set up or switch and to comply with today's insurance, billing, and EHR regulations. An added bonus is that if we, or you, ever decide to outsource the billing portion, say, for instance, if you lost staff or just wanted to move billing out of the clinic, Kareo is positioned to immediately pickup and continue those functions seamlessly because of the cloud-based system. We particularly like the security of that backup plan. We couldn't be more pleased on performance and ease of use. The highly competitive rate, month to month no contract, and no large upfront costs or maintenance fees are all excellent features as well! With two generations of healthcare providers and a combined over 50 years in the field, and having previously owned a physician billing software company for more than 20 years, we are pleased to give Kareo a high recommendation.

Michelle from Health Back Center, Dr Rebecca Pearson LLC

Easy to setup and train new staff; powerful enough to really perform

Leslie from Leslie F. Coughlan, NP PA

Intuitive, provider friendly, affordable

Affordable and portable. Mostly intuitive and easy for me to train others, but PLEASE fix the diagnosis section.

Pros

easy to use, can log in from phone, desktop, iPad, laptop--portable!

Cons

diagnoses section if POOR!!! ICD 10 should automatically populate with most often used codesd--not the hundreds of NEVER used, obscure ICD 10 codes that require me to scroll through--also, some are listed as "conditions" and do not carry over in the diagnosis section. This is a real pitfall for this software and way too much of my time is spent on another software looking up codes since they do not populate well on Kareo--I keep hoping that this is being upgraded/ updated! Also, ROS should carry over if SALT option is selected.

Nadine from Alex Endocrine Associates

Kareo in the setting of a recently retired Endocrinologist

I recently retired from a busy solo Endocrine practice, but wanted to continue to use an EMR to take care of family and close friends (to enter notes, updates, write scripts, order labs and imaging, etc). It was an easy transition, and Kareo is very flexible.

Pros

Very easy and intuitive, nice flow. You don't need your own server, as you use the internet for connectivity, and I find the speed to be quite good. Can train on your own via "Kareo University", but they offer a one-on-one training session with a physician to answer any questions and give suggestions. After finishing training, help is still available if needed.

Cons

ICD-10 codes don't pop up as well as my previous EMR, and might need to go through a few more steps on basic functions.

Cost and ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Affordability. E Clinical works charged $650 per month and did not have a reduced rate for retired physicians that have far fewer patients. Kareo charges $250 per month. A big problem with ECW is that they initially said it would be about $1000 to transfer all the patient data to Kareo, but after transferring the demographics, they increased the rate to $10,000 due to the size of the file. So we only transferred demographics, as we have all the data from ECW on discs with 3 back up measures.

Jennifer from Missions Services Organization LLC

Very easy for anyone to use and learn!

Having multiple Drs under one set up was originally tricky. Once I was able to get in there and move around a little I was able to do what I needed and patients have not been affected.

Pros

The reporting ability and the ease of being able to explain a balance to a patient. Scheduling a patient on the right day/time is important and being able to time block and customize for 5 Drs has been beneficial. Customer Service reps are always there when we need them to walk us through an issue, which isn't what we always experience.

Cons

Updates can be tricky. If we had notice of exactly what pieces were being updated, it would help out quite a bit. However, updates aren't that frequent and usually its for the better.

Aamr from HEREKAR LLC

Stay Away

I signed up for Kareo with all the promises that they had given us about the functionality and up until the start date everything seemed fine. After starting it I realized that half the options were not available and my staff could not work with Kareo. Every single time we called them they referred as to their online videos. Their staff is unable to answer any questions. I ended up switching back to my old software after 1 day of a clinical mess in my office, and they refused to cancel my subscription. So after I used Kareo only for 1 day and I signed a 1 year contract which they refused to cancel, I ended paying for a year, when i tried to tell them to cancel the automatic yearly renewal, their staff said that I have to call them on 29 April to cancel for 1 May otherwise it will be renewed for another year. I decided to just pay for the entire year and get them off my back. Very sad. I usually am not that pained by a Software enough to go and write reviews but I would definitely Suggest everybody keep away from this product. Their service is the worst ever.

Pros

The web based scheduling and the fact that I could switch over after a few days, but that was a farce since there was no real training.

Cons

No automatic fax , very poor support, every question is answered with please look at the video. and please read below, they are trying to make every penny they can

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

Looked good. and was cheaper.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Athena was too expensive.

Response from Kareo

Replied December 2020

Hi Aamr, Thank you for your valued feedback and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced when utilizing our products. Before the contract sign up we scheduled a demo session to ensure our product did fit your needs as a healthcare provider. Additionally, we have live training sessions available and a success coach who's on call for when you have doubts or questions. Our main focus as a company is to cater to the healthcare providers and their billing partners work and ensuring a successful journey for our customers is top priority. Thank You, Kareo

richard from Boca Raton Psychiatry

HORRIBLE

Pros

e prescribing is an excellent option however sometimes in kareo when prescribing one medicine it will delete another medicine off the chart

Cons

Horrible EMR system, it went down for three weeks, thats right three weeks in May and no one responded from the company other than "we are working on it", we were left helpless, we couldnt send medications or even practice medicine. It jeopardized patient safety and Kareo stated afterwards "it was fixed, sorry we switched vendors" When we tried to leave the contract due to this issue they stated NO, they demanded we stay or I would be sued leaving our psychiatric practice stuck with Kareo. Fast forward to now and the system went down again for the past six days, thats right our psychiatric practice that takes care of 5,000 patients has NO EMR system, no access to records, no ability to prescribe or render care and we are completely helpless and stuck during a pandemic with very emergent patients. This forces very unsafe care yet they still demand the contract be abided by. I would NEVER use Kareo even if it were for free. The customer support is horrible and nonresponsive as well. LOOK elsewhere ad be aware of their fake reviews on other sites.

Response from Kareo

Replied September 2020

Hello Richard, Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the experiences you've had while using Kareo. To clarify, we did encounter issues with ePrescribing in late June/early July of this year that we were able to resolve. We also did encounter intermittent system latency over the last week that we have stabilized at this time. We continue to learn from these instances and leverage them to create a smooth and seamless experience for our customers. We also understand how large of an impact this is to practices, which serves as our motivation to continually improve. We also apologize for any negative experience you've had with our support team, as we pride ourselves on our quality. Lastly, the reviews we receive on this or any other site are legitimate customer reviews, we work with various sites around their QA process. We see that you have been working with our support team and we will continue to work with you on any other open concern through that channel. Thank you, Kareo

Randall from Rapidcare

KAREO bankrupt my business

You cannot prescribe controlled substances. The EHR has not been updated in at least five years. The technology is very old. They only integrate with two major labs. You cannot get anything to integrate with KAREO. The customer service is nonexistent. You might as well not even try

Pros

Anything good about this software is overshadowed by the company's policies. The company does not care whether you make money or not. They only care that they get their cut. Do not go with this electronica medical record.

Cons

KAREO Bankrupt me on one occasion and I almost let them do it a second time. Do not use KAREO. You are putting your business at severe risk of bankruptcy. Absolutely do not let KAREO do your credentialing. It took them 16 months to credential me and I lost $40,000. They did nothing to help.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

It makes a nice looking note. But that's all you get. Get ready to shell out a lot of money and maybe even lose your practice if you decide to go with KAREO

Response from Kareo

Replied May 2020

Hello Randall, Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, as it is very important to us that we understand where we may need to improve. For clarification, the billing issues and any credentialing issues would be best addressed with the entity that was previously providing these services, as they are separate from Kareo. In addition, we would like to mention that our system is able to ePrescribe controlled substances. We also consistently update our software and implement new features to ensure that our providers are able to focus on what is most important: Their patients. We also have a variety of labs that we are able to integrate with and pride ourselves on our customer support team. With that being said, we appreciate that you have taken the time to provide information about your experience with us and will use it to improve going forward. Thank you, Kareo

Robin from New Foundation Inner Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

long on promise, short on delivery

very frustrating, time consuming, and costly because of glitches causing loss of revenue

Pros

e-prescribing, though cumbersome to use most customer support people nice, though unable to fix most issues

Cons

most everything. countless glitches which they don't seem eager to address, unacceptable by android phones (though accessible by iPhone), e-prescribing is glitch and cumbersome to use, eRx requests are even worse, documentation has almost no word processing features; think of something less than Notepad. Though you can "create templates" they are so unintuitive and cumbersome to make, it's not worth the effort. There is very little flexibility or ability to personalize features for my practice, including billing, scheduling, etc. I can go on with specific issues and complaints, but I think you got the message.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

promised features and flexibility and cost

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

Delphi is a very basic billing and scheduling program; though very effective. We wanted something which offered more. Now I regret it.

Response from Kareo

Replied November 2019

Hello Robin, thank you so much for your candid review. This helps improve our product and services to our customers. Thank you as well for being so detailed, we were actually able to share this valuable feedback with a representative from our product team! We do apologize if your experience using Kareo has not met your expectations. We are aware you have a direct case with one of our specialists and we will continue to use this communication route to further discuss what we can do to possibly turn your experience around. We appreciate your time. Regards, Kareo

Jeffrey from Now solo practice. Prior: UC Davis Med Group

Extremely frustrating, very poor functionality. After 1 year I left the company.

From Kareo: no significant benefit, mainly frustration. From your program to review Kareo: this was easy, helpful and productive. You know how to keep a person on-point.

Pros

Initially, the electronic software (EHR) was free, which allowed considerable forgiveness of the product. I initially appreciated the technical support from people who cared about their product and service. Unfortunately, the most common replies to questions from I.T. were apologies for not being able to provide what customers wanted and needed the most, see below.

Cons

1. Creating progress notes frustrating. Must save notes before changing screens, otherwise all information LOST. No auto-save. Saving data prior to change in screen, must save and CLOSE the document. Multiple steps to re-open again. Always inefficient. 2. Doctorbase is an "answering device for providers" to provide caller's phone number. The glitch for NEW callers: NO NAME provided, no message recorded. 10-15 "unknown" callers by end of day: 1/2 -3/4 were salesmen or bankers wanting to give loans. 3. When I changed companies, unable to transfer data in bulk. Had to transfer every patient individually. Other companies ALL had ability for bulk transfer. Would have to transfer emails individually, all 15,000. 4. Limited & unsophisticated ability to create progress notes to limit key strokes. 5. Requesting program upgrades: infrequent, rarely helpful, never quick or responsive even for minor change requests. 6. Initial support staff NEVER heard from again. I had to sort out problems by trial and error . I had 10 years prior experience in sophisticated programs before this disaster. 7. This is only a few of the problems I had before leaving. 6 months later, I received a call from Kareo asking how I would like to improve my experience & upgrade the system. They apparently did not know I was long gone. 8. Working with pharmacies never smooth or easy. 9. Many more issues, unfortunately, that I have suppressed.

Cara from Craft Behavioral

Good Value for your money

Started small with just the billing platform and have expanded to billing support, EHR, and marketing. The EHR and billing work seamlessly and accounts can be viewed in EHR. Pt reminders are via phone, text and email. Most insurance verification can be done on the platform. Labs and other ancillary services can download results into the EHR.

Pros

It's the total package. You can purchase as much support or as little as you feel you need. Marketing made a big difference for us. The pt reminders have made a huge difference also.

Cons

Sometimes your team gets changed and there is a getting to know you stage.

See the cons!

Pros

Kareo EHR is user friendly and notes are easy to read esp when a physician puts the req'd info in. Ability to print/fax/email ... love it!

Cons

however when maintenance upgrades occur, you are at times w/out the services you need for a day to 3-days. This is not good esp in our office. We have made suggestions as to a back-up server so we can continue working while issues are being handled but no such luck. Customer service has a lot to be said for this company and totally not my favorite phone call to make when I have to. The process isn't the easiest and dealing w/the lists upon lists of extention's is a waste of time.

Kevin from Spectrum Behavioral Health LLC

Kareo Works Well For Outpatient Mental Health Clinic

We are a small (7 therapist) clinic. We switched from PIMSY to Kareo EHR. It has been a very positive experience. We have used it for 15 months and our therapists really like it. The program is very easy to use. The support team has been very responsive and has taken some of our suggestions and incorporated them in the program. We just had our state certification inspection and we received the highest possible rating with favorable comments on the completeness and uniformity of our notes and records. We have had a few glitches but Kareo has responded very well to them. I would recommend it to any outpatient mental health clinic.

Pros

Very easy to use, open multiple windows without loss of speed or functionality.

Cons

Occasional glitches on calendar moving appointments around but they are working on that

Shelly from RiverCity Family medicine

Happy practice

Pros

It takes Care of most of our needs and is user friendly. We love the fact that Kareo listens to our needs and works on updates. Their customer service is outstanding.

Cons

There some few areas that need to be improved sooner than later. 1 -When you send a referral the demographics should be included and the options to send labs and studies. 2- when you upload results for the Dr you should be able to assigned them to the dr for reviewing and signing off on them. ( we can do labs and studies but not referrals or consuls or other important things. 3. The hospitalization and procedure section needs to be improved. Because when people get admitted to the hospital they generally have studies done and that section does not allow you to add any more than one thing per day. 4. I feel there should be a place for the hippa to be documented in the demographics sections. We currently use the note section in the demographics and document it there.

claudia from ross e gardner, m.d.

Dependability When Needed at all Times

It's a blessing to be able to get assistance when you are trying to do your billing and be assured that you are going to be paid for the work that you are doing to keep your business going and be sure that the patients insurance company are billed and pay for the service rendered to the patients to keep the practice afloat and the revenue come in. Being able to get assistance when a problem arise and not be put on hold or hear a voice response and never get the help that needed for you to complete a days work. No hassle nor problems in regards to contact or response to the assistance when requested.

Pros

The accessible ability and easy in the usage, and the assistance given in my billing.

Cons

No complaints nor problems at the present time.

PEGGY from Aspire Health, PLLC

Recommend this EHR to other small medical practices

I am happy with kareo. They work on making better changes but not interested in changing to any other EHR.

Pros

They have great customer service when I have questions or need to work through certain issues. They are friendly and work through the problem. The ease of use is pretty good. There are some things I wish could change but are minor and workable. I have submitted to them the suggested changes.

Cons

Wish we could open up days on the schedule that have been blocked already but a template. I can still schedule patients on those days but would be nice to have the day "open". I would like a reminder tab or FYI to remind of things that need to be done. Also, to be notified of new faxes that come into the documents section.

Leslie from Bradford k Faulkenberry MD

Great product

I enjoy working on it. Doctor and I keep in contact by the messager on it . It lets us know where the patient is at all times in the office from front to back so it is a wonder tool.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use and to review the records that you need . You don’t have to open every file just for one .

Cons

The only thing I can say that I don’t like about it is that in labs and studies it moved what you are working on in front of others and I away missed labs in between because it pushing the labs down . I know that it is confusing but I miss labs that have not been worked because of it.

Sheri from Lake Erie Behavioral Health, LLC

Terrible Software. Your practice will lose money

Very disappointed. I don’t know what issues they are having but too frequent problems accessing a software that I may a lot of money for. If you can’t access it then you are not getting what you pay for and it cost you money in the long run

Pros

I like that it’s link to the billing software which makes it easier for billing

Cons

Software frequently crashes, sometimes all day which means you have no access to patient information, cannot check in patients or collect co-pays. Basically you end up rescheduling patients which results in hours of lost work time and staff unable to work. We’ve lost thousands of dollars in revenue because of this faulty, nonfunctional and unreliable Kareo software. And don’t bother trying to call customer support because you will not be able to reach anyone live. You’ll hear the same prerecorded message saying “we are aware of the problem.” There are better and less expensive softwares out there for your practice. Do your due diligence and think twice about investing in Kareo

Because Kareo offers month to month service. Now I know why

Response from Kareo

Replied March 2020

Hello Sheri, Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience with our product and our support staff. We sincerely apologize about the obstacles you've encountered and are committed to working with you to overcome your concerns. We will be reaching out ASAP to discuss this in more depth with you. Thank you again for your time, and we look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank You, Kareo

Kaci from Neurological Surgery and Associates

Extremely pleased!

Pros

The ease of the patient's chart is extremely helpful. The ability to access the web page/ehr anywhere is wonderful!

Cons

That the information doesn't crossover seamlessly into the patient's chart when they fill out the paperwork online. Multiple crashes when they try to submit their paperwork.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical EHR

The price and the versatility of Kareo.

Dr. Harshad from Dr. Harshad Patel MD PC

poor urgency handling customer concern

Pros

Pros would consist of the ease of learning the fundamentals of working the EHR. It is pretty self explanatory once you fire up the application.

Cons

Our practice is located in Arizona, and the time on our EHR is incorrect since the base of kareo is located in California our system is on California time as opposed to Arizona. We have brought this issue to kareo, nothing was done there was no resolution to this matter and the time is still incorrect. One major issue that we are having is, we use a desk top for the use of kareo and as well as an Apple IPad. We are having an issue accessing "labs and studies" on the iPad and every time we open up this tab our app not only kicks us out but does not allow us to access the labs from the iPad thus causing Dr. Patel to then have to leave patients room come to the front to look at the labs, majorly taking away from Doctor Patient time. This matter has been brought to kareo's attention numerous amounts of times, and still it is not resolved we have been having this issue now for a total of 3-4 months. We call and receive a very typical answer from them stating that "we have our engineers working on it and someone will give you a call" no one ever gives our office a call back. we are very dissatisfied at this point with kareo and cons definitely out weigh the pros with this system.

September 2016

Jennifer from Mission Services Org

September 2016

User friendly, dependable software

I have been using Kareo for 2 1/2 years and we haven't had any major issues w/downtime and/or malfunctions w/in the systerm

Pros

This software is user friendly and the ability to show others makes it helpful.

Cons

Some of the report options. Drs will ask for something in particular that I just can't produce. There are also a couple options that are editable when info is entered we feel should not be.

Jennifer from 21st Century Dermatology, LLC

Easy to Use

Do not use this feature

Pros

The PM system works, its features are easy to read and maneuver and the options for managing records are endless.

Cons

The billing feature for patients receipts needs some work, it would be more efficient if the company's name was on the patients receipts from the Patient Financial Records, this is used for tax purposes by patients and a place of service is needed.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical EHR

We needed a PM system that was compatible with Modernizing Medicine (EMA)

Alisha from Sequim Chiropractic

Robust Software

Talk to other companies using Kareo and ask them what their difficulties are. It really is a good program, but there are some areas that may not work for your practice.

Pros

Billing reports are very detailed and useful. Very easy to access patients and schedule them. Very aesthetic dashboards.

Cons

Customer service and communication is definitely lacking. I don't expect any billing software to be totally perfect, but whenever they release a new update there tend to be quite a few bugs in the update.