What are TherapyNotes users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using TherapyNotes software through verified user reviews

• icon"I particularly love how the treatment objectives auto-populate into progress notes to keep you on track with monitoring and updating those."
  • icon"It was relatively straightforward, great price, could do insurance billing for you, includes treatment planning, integrated CC processing."
  • icon"They even have a telehealth platform integrated. The customer support is top notch, quick to respond, timely and efficient, helpful and always pleasant."
  • icon"Clients can cancel appointments through the portal, which then notifies the clinician, but if a clinician cancels an appointment, again no notification is sent out to the client."

Browse all TherapyNotes Reviews

• Have you used TherapyNotes and would like to share your experience with others?

Jane

Time used: Free Trial

Great customer service

Madison (Madi)

Phenomenal Customer Care!

Therapy Notes consistently provides me with excellent customer service, quick solutions, and supportive information. I have easily gained more in value than the monthly expense, and it is with a great ease of mind that I use them to support myself and my clients. Thanks for all your hard work!

Pros

+Quick Responses +User friendly +Flexible +Easy to learn +Receptive to feedback

Cons

-Cost (but still worth it) -No tele-health/online therapy options or direct client scheduling (yet)

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

The easy to use interface allowed for a quick transition to private practice, which made one less stressor on my plate. Greatly appreciated! I also valued the service providers, especially Heather, for helping me to navigate billing in a prompt and manageable way!

Response from TherapyNotes

Thanks for the glowing review! There actually is client self scheduling. Call us and we will wall you through setting it up. Thank you!

Replied January 2020

Awesome Customer Service

This is the best software I have found for my private practice. It is priceless to me to be able to reach customer service by phone rather than by chat or an "online ticket". The billing aspect of the software is easier to use than the software I used previously. The only thing I would like to see improved is the addition of different notes and treatment plan templates, or at least ones that are more customizable.

Pros

Easier to get up and running than comparable EHRs, great customer service that is easy to reach by phone, easy to navigate

Cons

No variety of notes and treatment plan templates

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Primarily because customer service was more accessible and responsive. Also, cost was slightly less for what I use it for, and setting up the electronic billing feature was easier.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

Cost was less with Therapy Notes overall, and billing was easier.

Marcia

TherapyNotes is strong overall but has numerous problems it hasn't addressed since its inception

I wish I had started with a different program. I am not satisfied. I am not all that computer literate and just want something that gets the job done, and I'm too entrenched (and lazy?) to go to something else like SimplePractice. One more complaint: I have been a psychologist for over 25 years. I don't need the condescending ways that TherapyNotes literally PREVENTS YOU from, rather than cautions you about, doing certain notes out of order. Cautioning is a superb idea. We all get sloppy. Preventing is something altogether different. If I got a lecture (which I did) from someone who received their clinical psych PhD from my alma mater,UCLA, I might not be offended by the condescending tone I received when the woman informed me about the "golden thread" for conceptualizing clients. There was no "we chose to...." They are RIGHT. And another: you can enter a considerable amount of information, especially in billing, and then be told it can't be stored because it isn't properly allocated, or whatever. Can't they store it and flag it so you can return? I've wasted a lot of time here. There's no way to know in advance that you'll lose the information until you go to save it.

Pros

I like the electronic billing feature and the fact that it receives and allows recording of Electronic Remittance Advice from payers; the scheduling feature; ease of entering initial billing information from electronic ERAs (though there are other huge problems with billing); some aspects of the notes section; customer support by phone (but not via email); hours available for phone support, including weekend; other areas I'm not thinking of at the moment. Even though I can't recommend it, I do think it has many strengths.

Cons

(1) The billing area has countless flaws that my husband, a software developer on Mac and Windows for nearly 40 years, has called to their attention to no avail. When I note these weaknesses, they sound like it's the first time they've heard about it and "pass it on to their team." If you work with Medicare clients or clients who rely on two insurers, watch out. Most Medicare patients have secondary insurance that does not show up in the billing area so that you basically have to use a cumbersome process to enter secondary payment, and it's not immediately clear who paid what, as payments by each don't show up side-by-side in Billing, each associated with the proper payer. If you aren't a provider for the secondary, you have to use a "trick" to enter it. It is not intuitive overall. (2) While phone support is good, email is poor. I write in thorough explanation of the problem so that it can be solved in one go. Most times I write to them, I get a condescending first response that blows me off and requires another complex email essentially conveying the same information. (3) There is no manual. They've been in business too long for this. (4) The articles don't cover enough. For example, I entered "set place of service." Sounds easy, but no hits. (5) They put a lot of resources into tele-therapy when the pandemic hit, which appeared to divert programmers. They make lots of money; why not hire more?

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

I read about it and it struck me as the best product among the few on the market at the time. I bought it when it just came to market, as I recall, and there were few other programs available.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thanks for your feedback. We'll be reaching out directly, particularly so we can clarify what billing issues you're seeing. 1. We're unaware of what flaws you're referring to but, hope to learn more. We do have some improvements coming out soon to improve secondary insurance, so hopefully this will address your concern. 2. We will look into why you received poor email support. The people that answer email are the same people that provide stellar phone support. 3. We have no plans to have a printed manual. The Help Center (support.therapynotes.com) is our digital manual. 4. If you can't find your answers in the help center, please call for support and we'll help out. We are readily available. I agree there's an opportunity to add more content. 5. We didn't divert anyone to work on telehealth. There are 6 development teams, one of which was already working on Telehealth. We are always hiring more developers.

Replied March 2021

LaTania

Always Great Customer Service

My experience is phenomenal, please keep up the great work!!!

Pros

I am so happy to report that this year I do not have to update my paperwork and load it into Therapy Notes. Yayyyy!!! TN has recently updated the library to include everything that I need as a clinician. This makes me very happy. Every time that I call they are always friendly and helpful. They know exactly how to help me and they never make me feel bad about not knowing how to navigate some areas within TN. They always follow up with an email to explain the process that they just showed me. I am very pleased with TN. I have used other EHR's and I love this one the best. It's not too simple and not too difficult to navigate. Keep up the great work.

Cons

Initially, it was the paperwork issue where I had to make my paperwork web-friendly so that my clients could complete it online, but now that this is no longer a problem I have no cons with TNs.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

I used it while working at another agency, and I didn't want to try to relearn it. It was a bit too much to learn on top of everything else that I had to learn at that time.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

I did not like the look. It was a little too simple for me.

Diana

My experiences with TherapyNotes

It took several days until I was familiar enough with the software to get necessary forms filled to electrically submit and to learn how to upload necessary information. Then it took another 2 weeks for me to load in all information so I was able to submit forms. The support staff is super and the pod casts and information given is very helpful. The staff have a lot of patience as I had some questions that I asked over again and they had to continue to give me same answers as it took time to learn enough of the program to be on my own. Now, although not an expert I feel I am very pleased to stay with this program and believe that overall it is a big improvement over my previous biller. Keeping up with submitting forms, with progress notes and all necessary paper work is much easier.

Pros

I could use it anytime. could fit it into my irregular work hours The cost seemed reasonable The support is fantastic. I find the system is complete for a psychotherapist. All records in one place plus electronic billing

Cons

Feeding Patient information could be easier such as from hand written intake forms to system. A very old but no longer existing software "Therapist Helper." Had a face sheet fill in per patient and all info was in and fed into the other areas of the system. The time it took to learn and to put in all info from my 18 or so patients to the system. Needing to fill out forms for NGS medicare and one other insurance company and then wait a week to several weeks to get approved to have forms sent electronically,

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

Biller had a stroke and doctor recommended retirement from work. Therefore, I started to seek out an alternative. I had heard of TherapyNotes from a few people at the NYSSCSW Rockland County meeting over a year ago. So I looked it up online as well as a few others billing companies but decided to try TherapyNotes over the others as they seemed more complete.

December 2021

TherapyNotes knocks it our of the park!

Overall, TherapyNotes is exceptional! Customer Service is outstanding in resolving issues quickly, and over the years the representatives I've spoken with have all been kind and patient. TherapyNotes is user friendly....easy to learn and easy to train new staff. This is a must!

Pros

Many features of TherapyNotes are so helpful and effecient. The scheduling is easy and the software is very user friendly.

Cons

The billing is always a nightmare no matter which software is used. However, I would like TherapyNotes to find a more user friendly way to bill multiple insurances and a better way to be able to easily see which has been billed and what has been paid. Currently when entering new information such as insurance ID, addresses, phone numbers, payments,....once a new one is entered the old information goes away.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

The reviews were great! Also, when speaking with the sales team they were very helpful and clear on the cost. The training was effective as well. Most of all TherapyNotes seems to understand that this part of our job (notes, billing, etc) is not the main part of our job. So, the customer service aspect was appealing in case issues came up that we needed help resolving. The customer service team does not disappoint! They are phenomenal!

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

The software was not user friendly and it was difficult to get through to customer service when issues needed resolved.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you for the great review. We are rolling out a feature that maintains historic insurance information. It will be enabled for all accounts soon. See our blog for more info.

Replied January 2022

Carolyn

Industry: Mental Health Care

Good Software platform for the money.

Overall I am happy with Therapy notes since my biller can access my records and I can utilize the telehealth portion easily. I just wish it had more resources for therapist available.

Pros

The collection of patient data is very easy.

Cons

Compared to Simple Practice, Therapy Notes resources for clinicians is null. I would say that has been the most disappointing as the only forms provided are for the demographics and any other forms must be created and uploaded by the clinician. Additionally there are no forms for assessments to give to the client based on their diagnosis or information that you can send to them. Also, you have to manually send out the forms for each new client where Simple Practice did it automatically.

See above.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

Because my colleagues were using Therapy Notes so it would be easy to navigate if we needed to access each other's scheduling and it seemed a little bit less expensive than Simple Practice.

Kim

February 2022

More affordable option compared to other low/mid-tier web-based EHRs

Pros

I like the price point. It is pretty user friendly. The live customer support has been AMAZING.

Cons

The forms & notes library is not as robust as we were led to believe. As silly as it may sound, I wish the design was "prettier". It is pretty stripped down, but the price point & customer care makes up for these downsides.

Kareo Clinical and TheraNest

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Price point. We are a small practice and didn't need a lot of the bells and whistles that the other options offered.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

SimplePractice raised their prices with no tiered levels for small practices that are also educational facilities (Graduate Interns). The cost became too high for us to stay.

Bonnie

Effective for Keeping records and teletherapy is not an add-on

I have been using this product for several months and find that my notes and treatment plans are generally easy to keep up to date. I like the ToDo feature. I have found the teletherapy feature very useful.

Pros

I use it to do all my paperwork, it is easy and the reminders are a key benefit for me.

Cons

It is not nimble enough-I struggle with billing-I have all private pay and cannot slide the scale etc.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

One of the deciding factors was that teletherapy was included-that was a big plus!

Mike

March 2022

Great Software that meets our Mental Health Clinics needs perfectly!

This Software keeps us compliant with HIPPA and allows us to leave notes for each client session as well as process payments as we are a Private Pay company and do not bill insurance. Although if we decided to start doing that it has that capability. I have been very happy with the Software and the ease of use.

Pros

It is very user Friendly, When I can't figure something out the Customer Service is top notch!

Cons

I really have not found any Cons with this Software as of yet!

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Less expensive than other competing Software and much more robust!

Megan

April 2022

Love it so far

Pros

Switched from Simple practice after they hiked their price. Same great service but much less money

Cons

Nothing yet. I seem to have all the capabilities I need

December 2021

TherapyNotes is a workhorse for our clinic; 30 providers.

Excellent software, excellent support.

Pros

Enough guardrails to rest easy about compliance. Claims get submitted automatically. Support for multiple locations and modifier codes. Financial reporting is flexible. Most reports can be downloaded as spreadsheets. SUPER customer support. They answer the phone and that's a big deal for us.

Cons

Supervision features are lacking. We'd like to see our supervision note displayed if we reject a note and then a supervisee resubmits. We need a report on when tx plans are filed so we can monitor compliance. These are very minor issues compared to what TherapyNotes does for us.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

SimplePractice has non-standard forms for intake, tx plan, progress notes. All these forms have to be customized, which is fortunately allowed. SimplePractice did not support modifier codes on claim submission so every claim had to be edited by hand (apparently they fixed this). Customer support has to be the worst in the industry. No phone number to call. The staff that monitors the Facebook group is downright abusive. (maybe they fixed this)

Tammy

Therapy Notes makes billing a Breeze

Therapy Notes made my transition from group practice to private solo practice effortless. They imported my client contact list and populated the demographic info in 1 easy step. They do all the billing from submission to payment with a simple click of a button from me. They provide friendly telephone access to knowledgeable support techniques late evening hours and weekends. They follow up each support call with an email explaining all steps they took during the call and instructions for me to complete any details that may need follow through from me. They make business management a breeze which is saying a lot coming from a completely uninformed therapist like myself. Thank you Therapy Notes

Pros

I love the ease of use and practical applications Therapy Notes provides. They do ALL the billing work from submission to payment and they provide telephone access to technicians after hours and weekends.

Cons

I love everything about Therapy Notes. I have zero complaints.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Easy to use and understand tools which frees me to do what I do best - provide counseling services to my clients. Therapy Notes provides telephone contact with Fast, Friendly, and Efficient Support Staff!!!

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you Tammy for the glowing review!

Replied June 2021

Barry

Initial impression

Overall, very positive experience. Although it proved to be frustrating in the early stages, I realize that I’ve been able to upload a practice of about 30 patients within a month, and get more comfortable with the system.

Pros

I appreciate the cues promoting more detailed and specific treatment planning. I also really like the to do list, accessible from the main page, as well as in each client record. I have found the phone support to be excellent although at times, the wait to speak to a support person can be long. The main reason I continued with therapy notes was the opportunity to use their card services, which appears to have the lowest fees of the more common credit card service providers.

Cons

I would like to be able to more easily customize the reporting aspects of the clinical note and treatment plan. And the billing component has been rather awkward to use. I was, however, dismayed that my application to enroll in credit card services was denied, due to lacking proof of an office lease. I am primarily doing virtual care and so I lease hourly when I need to see a client in person. I am hopeful that the client services support person has found a solution and I should be accepted for credit card services within a couple of days.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

To be honest, if I do not get credit card services, I will likely at least trial simple practice, as it is being used by one of the agencies for whom I do some contract work

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

I had retired from Kaiser Permanente after 22 years, and epic had been the EMR for the past approximately 16 years

AJ

TherapyNotes The God

Pleasant and never once considered switching given how easy it is to use and how good the customer support is

Pros

Its ease of use and the intuitiveness. Very straightforward. Everything is organized in a way that you can easily find what you're looking for. There's a hidden depth to it for those who want to delve into it too. There's a trick to that ya see. Being deep but not so overwhelmingly upfront about it that it makes the system hard to use.

Cons

Small things like: - not being able to add non-therapists/admins' stuff to the calendar - setting reminders for individual patients isn't an option? - can't create a co-insurance tab, only copay (I believe) - the usual format for all things electronic has "green for yes" where ass some windows in TherpyNotes have a grey box to accept and continue and a green one for "go back" if you will. A bit confusing at first

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

We got too large and that one was kind of clunky and not innovative

Mary Kate

No regrets

I chose this product for the value and the reputation for outstanding support. I've been pleasantly surprised over and over again as they continue to improve on what was already a clean, intuitive program.

Pros

Customer support is superb, especially compared to the practice management software we were using prior. Therapy Notes constantly improves and updates, adding both free and paid features. Updates are never disruptive and always ultimately improve our workflow.

Cons

Enrollment for ERAs, EFTs, and EDI could be smoother- the clearinghouse is a separate entity, and the instructions they provide through Therapy Notes aren't always clear or complete.

SimplePractice

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Cleaner, cheaper, more intuitive, great reputation for customer support.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

My Clients Plus had absolutely terrible service, didn't allow credit card processing, doesn't allow use of the "back" button, the reporting is buggy, and the billing is incredibly confusing.

George

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent value and customer service

All in all, I am extremely satisfied with the software and believe that the issues mentioned will eventually also be ironed out.

Pros

This software is excellently priced for what you get, and they are constantly adding new features. The more I use it, the more I replace other platforms and my practice becomes more integrated. Additionally, their customer service professionals have never failed to answer my questions efficiently, professionally, and honestly (in the cases when a requested feature is not available).

Cons

While most of the software is intuitive and simple, as with all software there is a learning curve for some of the more intermediate and advanced features. There are aspects of the software that I wish were more customizable (specifically intake documentation). Their telehealth interface is fairly new and seems to take more bandwidth than other platforms, sometimes resulting in grainy pictures or dropped calls if both parties have a less than strong internet service. Lastly, a practice-wide email function would be helpful, especially in recent times when messaging about safety protocols have been so dynamic.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Cost, simplicity, all-in-one functionality.

Beza

Overall Experience with TherapyNotes

I have also been impressed with the quality of the customer service with the support staff agent. The agent that assisted me one evening in particular, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt in resolving my issues that had stalled my work previously. Much appreciated and will highly recommend!

Pros

TherapyNotes was relatively easy to use after practicing some changes when crossing over from a different EHR (Theranest). After a month of practice, I found the documentation was relatively easy for daily progress notes and the psychosocial intake components. I particularly liked the intake section where it divides the areas of psychosocial with the specific questioner. Another plus is scheduling ease; TherapyNotes allows me to schedule my client on a monthly basis on a specific day rather than requiring manual entry from my previous EHR system. It also provides me with the option of system reminders via email and or text message depending on the client's preference. Lastly, from an audit standpoint, it appears TherapyNotes do not allow preliminary license holders such as LGPC, LGSW, etc.. from entering individual notes on new clients without the clinical supervisor approving/signing off on the treatment plan first. Also, TherapyNotes requires a clinician to document a treatment plan on the second visit following the initial intake prior to clearing the clinician from entering a progress note. I have also been informed billing insurance providers can only transpire after all entered notes for the service date has been signed off. The above-mentioned requirements from Therapynotes do quality control for audit and ethical purposes for practice holders.

Cons

The one thing I do find problematic with Therapynotes is the treatment plan section. The document allows the clinical to enter the approximate length of treatment however it does not allow for a clinical to set a review date (of 30, 60, or 90 days). This technically means Therappnotes does not generate a reminder for a clinical to review a treatment plan and resolve, complete, and or change with a selected review date in mind. That has been a rather frustrating experience and can possibly lead to audit issues.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you for the glowing review! Actually, you can set the treatment plan review reminders! Visit The To-Do List Settings page. The default is 90 days, but you can adjust this value for your needs. Enjoy!

Replied February 2021

Howard

Excellent Product, could use some tweaks; Using it over 10 years

I have long enjoyed the TherapyNotes system and often recommend it. It is an ever evolving therapist oriented office support platform and I have always found it to be helpful. I am struggling with it, at this time however, because I am having to (at 53 y.o) learn how to do my own billing and am often lost in these very spooky woods alone. Superivising someone else's organization and simply paying attention to generated reports is a very different experience to running my own practice without a dedicated billing support team.

Pros

Simple, elegant, excellent User Interface; Easily Learned; Excellent ease of record entry, maintenance, and search; Internet accessibility; Marvelous Calendar system; Amazing Customer Support team.

Cons

Benefits and billing system needs to be integrated into the package; I have been unable to write notes and bill according to my own method (free form progress note without DAP/SOAP/etc format); notes are completely reliant upon connection to treatment plan in software which does not allow me to write a note in my best manner and to bill afterwards. I need a billing professional connected with my efforts to submit and track my billing, do reconciliations, or a long, in-depth training with a staff member who can teach this to me. It is my weakness but I need this to be able to have full reliance upon the software. I simply wish to see clients and find a way to automate everything else as smoothly as possible with very little difficulty. This issue set forced me into hiring Theranest as, with Theranest, I can operate how i do (in-paper chart Treatment Plan and Coping/Safety Plan; writing a process note and billing from that); Lack of ability to communicate with Google (via my iPad's) calendar is a very severe, serious, and ongoing frustration.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

I did not want to write my own client record database again. I was new to the Apple I wanted, and needed, to have the ability to access client records and calendar on the go via the internet while moving around a 13 county area of service provision in Montana. This was 8+ years ago. I spoke with the gentleman who created the system when I called and thought that was great! He was very understanding and quite open with me about plans for future development which would be able to encompass my ideas for what I would ultimately want in a software package like this. So, I thought yo myself, why not support them? It was a great decision!!! I have not yet regretted it. And, even though I use another platform for my billing needs for now, I will not leave TherapyNotes as I eagerly await its slow, but methodical and meticulous, development into the platform I am seeking to have for my ideal practice management software package.

TherapyNotes customer review by a Psychotherapist in Private Practice.

TherapyNotes has become an integral part of running my psychotherapy private practice. Practically, it lets me expedite payment and submission of claims to insurance companies, has allowed me to automate and streamline the more cumbersome accounting, chart keeping, and record keeping tasks of running a business, as well as a therapy practice in particular. Aside from the platform allowing me to keep as robust records and charts as is required for any individual case, their biggest selling points are their blog and customer service; their blog is updated frequently with immensely useful information on any aspect of running a psychotherapy practice. TherapyNotes Customer Service is stellar; the replies, even to complex requests or questions, are immediate (typically within two hours) and informative with step-by-step, helpful answers. I’d highly recommend the platform to any health care clinician wanting to automate and better manage their practice.

Pros

Ease of use, automation of time-consuming tasks, their frequently updated blog of helpful industry information, Customer Service.

Cons

Integrated Telehealth, which they are currently in the process of implementing.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Superior platform in record keeping, and all other aforementioned functions.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you David for the 5-star review! Our new telehealth platform has been well received and works great! I encourage you to give it a try. Thanks!

Replied June 2020

My Love/Hate Relationship with This Software

As a therapist, sometimes I feel like being with TN is akin to staying in a bad relationship. They don't actually promise anything but I keep staying because I keep hoping/believing they're going to come through one day and offer these features (i.e. fillable client intake forms that transfer the data into my intake note, a mobile app, and a two-way calendar). TN is also charging the same amount of money or in some cases more money as other EHRs that do offer these simplistic features. One good thing is that they did lower the price by $10 per month for solo practices, but I am already paying $79 per month for myself and one intern. That price will increase by $20 per month for every intern I supervise, and I currently have ten prospective interns waiting in the wings. You do the math.

Pros

The good: First, TherapyNotes has outstanding customer service. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and able to troubleshoot issues within minutes after I've wrestled for hours trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Secondly, ease of billing. I have been with this service since 2015 and I've tried about four other EHR products, but I keep coming back to TN because of the ease of billing. All you have to do is input the client's insurance information and once you complete a note, you just press a button and the claim is sent out. With other EHRs, I still had to fill out my own claim forms, which I didn't know how to do. Because TN makes it so simple, I have decided to stay with them. Getting paid is pretty important, so I suppose this would be the single greatest value for me as far as this software is concerned.

Cons

The bad: They consistently refuse to provide the simplest of features requested by their users. I am intentionally using the word "refuse" because it is clearly a choice made by TN. I asked TN in September 2016 if they would EVER implement an electronic intake form. TN told me they were "working on it" and gave me an estimate of December 2016. It actually didn't happen until several months later, and when they finally revealed it, it was so disappointing. All they did was give us the ability to upload a form to the portal so a patient could download it, fill it out, and then upload it back. This means I still have to go through the time consuming task of manually typing everything the client wrote into the intake form on my end. When TN released this feature, they were so excited, as if it were the most amazing feature they've ever rolled out, completely oblivious to the fact that this "feature" is not much different from me emailing my intake form to a client. Apparently TN thinks it's still 2003. Several users left comments on the announcement post telling TN this is NOT what we were waiting for. As of May 2020, we are still waiting. TN also doesn't have a mobile app, while most other EHRs do. As someone else stated, there is no two-way calendar integration. I'd also like to see a way for me to document supervision meetings with my interns. Right now I have to create a separate client account for each of my interns to keep track of supervision meetings.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

One reason and one reason only: it is the only software that makes billing a breeze and actually gets me paid. With TherapyNotes, all I have to do is press a button and my claims are sent, processed, and paid within a few weeks. With all the other products I've tried, I still had to fill out my own forms and I often had errors. One of the other companies consistently paid my Cigna claims, but every Medicare claim was rejected. After months of going back and forth with customer service, I finally switched back to TherapyNotes. TherapyNotes irritates me for the "cons" I listed above, but at least I don't have to sit for hours trying to process my claims. In the end, this is the lesser of two evils. I would rather fill out intake paperwork ONCE per client than have to wrestle with claim forms every session. I have already tried four other EHRs and in the end, TherapyNotes does make my life easier than the others, even though I can't understand why they won't give us the simple features we've been asking for years. If TN did listen to its customers and add an app, a fillable intake form, and a two-way calendar, they wouldn't just be the lesser of two evils; they'd be the BEST.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We have a team of full-time developers working on TherapyNotes, and we are adding new features and improvements as quickly as we can, and the portal has been of significant priority. In addition to the Patient Information Form, we recently released the Patient Contact Form, and more forms and portal features are in development now. It is certainly not a matter of us refusing to add features, it's just a matter of getting to everything we want to accomplish.

Replied May 2020

Micheal Frances

Industry: Mental Health Care

Therapynotes is true to the promises it makes to customers

Pros

I run a small practice and I do most of my own billing, scheduling and of course documentation of my client's progress. This program is comprehensive and easy to use. What really makes this company better than the others in the field is their customer service. Plainly speaking the other companies I've tried offered little or no useable customer service, which resulted in my getting "stuck" on how to use their systems - and having to wait several hours or even days to get an answer on how to use a particular feature.

Cons

Compared to other programs I have used, Therapynotes just doesn't have things I dislike.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Plain and simple, I'm staying with TherapyNotes because they true to their word when it comes to live support. Unlike Simplepractice, they don't leave the burden of training on customers; Therapynotes provides the support needed to use the program. Unlike Theranest, Therapynotes does not lie about it's customer service. They actually walk their talk.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

SimplePractice offers NO live customer support. You are told where the "database" of instructions on how to use the program is located and you are on your own. Programs like this are detailed and complex - there is a fairly steep learning curve. For me, it's a glorious waste of my time to be told to go search in the haystack for the specific information you need to properly use the program. Theranest - the second practice management program I used SAID they offer live customer support, but in fact, they lie about this kind of support. In fact, when using Theranest, I was often required to leave a message and wait for an answer - sometime up to two or three days later. When you are working a busy practice, and you want to bill, or make notes on a session, it is not sustainable to have to wait to receive answers on how to use the program.

Mary

Best EHR for Mental Health Practices

Please see below...

Pros

I love the overall professional presentation of the software. It is clear that Therapy Notes values this and that they work hard to not compromise this. It plays out in the way that they will take their time to carefully design and implement new features and the existing ones are relevant and well thought out. It is evident that they are concerned most with ethics and best practice in the mental healthcare field and not in pleasing everyone because designing a database is not in most clinician's wheelhouse. They have a big job with what they do and this clinician appreciates how they are doing it and the fruits of their labor.

Cons

I do wish the portal could be a little more robust but again, this is something that I know they are working on and there are details that they are considering that are out of my scope.

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

It is the most professional, intuitive, and relevant EHR software. I have also worked in a hospital setting using EPIC.

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

True story: We had Therapy Notes first and for about 6 years before we switched to Simple Practice. We initially switched because we wanted something that would automate our billing and streamline our intake paperwork. Once we migrated over to SP, it quickly became a nightmare as it was evidenced that all that nice scaffolding that TN has in place does not exist in SP. That the design of their (SP's) EHR does not support best practices (i.e. you can submit an insurance claim without having completed the psychotherapy progress note which is not in compliance with insurance credentialing contracts which require this. When I inquired about this with SP, I was told that they had customers that do their notes externally and that's why their permissions allowed this. This explanation makes absolutely no sense since why would you pay for an EHR but not use the note software portion which is the bulk of a client's file? As well, I suggested that they could at least have a checkbox "Note completed externally" to acknowledge the note was done for compliance and I was told "that seems like a lot of work.") The 2 main reasons we came over ended up being big reasons for why we returned to TN as SP did not deliver what they promised with the billing (it's unprofessional and like someone adopted what their parent showed them how to run their high school lawn mowing business) and the paperwork feature did not integrate and was cumbersome to use.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thanks for the great review! Yep, we continue to add functionality to the portal. Stay tuned to our blog for updates.

Replied October 2019

Katie

Beyond Outstanding!

A+++++ EXCEPTIONAL, FAST AND ACCOMMODATING CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM A COMPANY I FEEL IS A TRUE TEAM WHO UNDERSTANDS ME AS A PROFESSIONAL (AND HUMAN BEING) AND THEY ARE ALWAYS, ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP ME IF A HARDSHIP ARISES AND WILL HONOR THAT EACH TIME BY HELPING ME OR ANYONE ELSE (as long as it doesn't become a continuous habit). They're truly amazing. I LOVE this company!

Pros

Therapy Notes (as an organization) provides optimal, timely, friendly & solution-focused customer service for any need I've called about. They are EXTREMELY UNDERSTANDING if you experience a Hardship of Financial setback (I was diagnosed with Lupus) and will do ALL it takes to accommodating your needs to help get you back on track. Their software interace is extremey user-friendly (setting up your initial account, inputting new client information, scheduling (including a partient portal which assists clients in schedule their own appointment REQUESTS, automated email appt reminders, exceptional clinical documentation, SIMPLE billing practices to submit claims and receive ERA's (with one-click "posting" to various client accounts who are included on the same return ERA.) Payment processing has Several options (my favorite is "Submitted Payment through an External Account/Debit) because most of my client prefer quick POS payment processing for matters such as paying their per session Co-Pays. ETHICAL: Providers are blocked from submitted claims for processing until the corresponding clinical note has been signed. No way around this. Therefore, IF a provider wants reimbursement for services provided, they MUST be compliant and have signed and submitted their clinical documentation. Providers are able to change the settings of the program....but Not that ONE requirement for liability purposes of course. Seriously, Beyond Outstanding!

Cons

I'd say the ONE thing that makes it Exceptional::: LOL:::: The program forces providers to complete their clinical documentation within 24-48 hours. Unless you do so, the system blocks your ability to "bill" (and get paid!!) Ugh (but it's a good thing!) I wish they'd develop an APP. I've been asking them for almost 4 years, yet they don't have one? Despite making several other changes to their system (i.e. blogging). They're such an advanced, in-tune, intelligent team of "younger" professionals, it's actually a bit mind-blowing for me that there hasn't been an APP created to support their "mobile consumers".... I feel they could POTENTIALLY be losing lots of business potential by neglecting to make this a priority (knowing that most of their main competitors do function via Apps and their lack of developing one decreases their "attractiveness" over to a company who uses an APP, DESPITE that TN is Superior in every other way!

Reasons for choosing TherapyNotes

Already explained. Please READ this Glowing review ad testimony to how Outstanding they are in every capacity :) Customer Service ) WOW!!!!! Ease of Use: YES!!!!! Price Point: BEYOND worth it. There ya' go, Katie :)

Reasons for switching to TherapyNotes

I left my group practice and opened my own company in 2016. When I made that transition, I intentionally switched software and billing systems. I wasn't a fan of my former one at all and TN offered exactly what I was seeking at a price point within my budget (and after researching different options for weeks) I read several times that they specialize in the smaller, more intimate small businesses as opposed to large organziations. Which is the reason they're able to provide such exemplary customer service. Also, their product is specifically designed for Mental Health!!! Bonus!

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you Katie for the A+++++ review! Yes we do require notes before you can submit claims, but to be clear there is no "24-48 hour" requirement. You can do your notes whenever you want, as long as you do it before you bill. We haven't prioritized an app because we have so much else we want to accomplish. Plus, you CAN use TherapyNotes on your mobile device in your web browser, and you can push your appointments to your smart phone's mobile calendar. Please check the knowledgebase for instructions on how to do that. Thanks again! :)

Replied September 2019