• Pros

• "Love the interface. Very intuitive features. "

• "The customer service is courteous and very patient and very accessible. They gave me a free trial and is very user friendly."

• "The presentation is clean and friendly. Easy on the eyes. It is intuitive and easy to understand. Not difficult to learn. "

• Cons

• "Cost is a little high per user. Not good for some smaller companies. It is a great system and quick to sit up. "

• "I would like more customization ability as far as being able to create custom templates but other than that, I have no concerns."

• "It can be a bit intrusive as a clinical director but you can turn off features you don't want reminders on."

Browse TherapyNotes Reviews

Madison (Madi) from Creatively Thriving LLC/ EMDR & Beyond

Phenomenal Customer Care!

Therapy Notes consistently provides me with excellent customer service, quick solutions, and supportive information. I have easily gained more in value than the monthly expense, and it is with a great ease of mind that I use them to support myself and my clients. Thanks for all your hard work!

Pros

+Quick Responses +User friendly +Flexible +Easy to learn +Receptive to feedback

Cons

-Cost (but still worth it) -No tele-health/online therapy options or direct client scheduling (yet)

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

The easy to use interface allowed for a quick transition to private practice, which made one less stressor on my plate. Greatly appreciated! I also valued the service providers, especially Heather, for helping me to navigate billing in a prompt and manageable way!

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied January 2020

Thanks for the glowing review! There actually is client self scheduling. Call us and we will wall you through setting it up. Thank you!

Jinnifer from Progressive Wellness

Grateful for this product

TherapyNotes has been a win/win/win move!

Pros

I changed to this software mostly because they had an actual number you could call for tech support. I am a therapist and I have little time between clients, am not a tech savvy person, and have lots to think about, so it was very difficult to ask a question by chat and wait 2 or 3 days for an answer that might or might not apply. Also the software we were using kept upping the cost and this was more supportive plus less expensive. After I began the free trial, I found the note set-up was more helpful and it was easier to complete my notes in each session without taking away from the session. This saved me about 2-3 hours a day and an releaved a tremendous amount of stress. A new feature of this software is accountability and it will not let you submit a claim until your notes are complete. This has been helpful with reminders and a to-do list to keep me on track. My assistant loves the ease of billing!

Cons

Payor set up was a little challenging. We needed more explanation.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

The telephone number that provided a person that could help with unusual issues, at that moment.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Lack of support that met our needs

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied March 2021

Thank you for your kind words!

David from David M. D’Alessio Psychotherapy Practice

TherapyNotes customer review by a Psychotherapist in Private Practice.

TherapyNotes has become an integral part of running my psychotherapy private practice. Practically, it lets me expedite payment and submission of claims to insurance companies, has allowed me to automate and streamline the more cumbersome accounting, chart keeping, and record keeping tasks of running a business, as well as a therapy practice in particular. Aside from the platform allowing me to keep as robust records and charts as is required for any individual case, their biggest selling points are their blog and customer service; their blog is updated frequently with immensely useful information on any aspect of running a psychotherapy practice. TherapyNotes Customer Service is stellar; the replies, even to complex requests or questions, are immediate (typically within two hours) and informative with step-by-step, helpful answers. I’d highly recommend the platform to any health care clinician wanting to automate and better manage their practice.

Pros

Ease of use, automation of time-consuming tasks, their frequently updated blog of helpful industry information, Customer Service.

Cons

Integrated Telehealth, which they are currently in the process of implementing.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Superior platform in record keeping, and all other aforementioned functions.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied June 2020

Thank you David for the 5-star review! Our new telehealth platform has been well received and works great! I encourage you to give it a try. Thanks!

Marcia from Marcia Rorty, PhD

TherapyNotes is strong overall but has numerous problems it hasn't addressed since its inception

I wish I had started with a different program. I am not satisfied. I am not all that computer literate and just want something that gets the job done, and I'm too entrenched (and lazy?) to go to something else like SimplePractice. One more complaint: I have been a psychologist for over 25 years. I don't need the condescending ways that TherapyNotes literally PREVENTS YOU from, rather than cautions you about, doing certain notes out of order. Cautioning is a superb idea. We all get sloppy. Preventing is something altogether different. If I got a lecture (which I did) from someone who received their clinical psych PhD from my alma mater,UCLA, I might not be offended by the condescending tone I received when the woman informed me about the "golden thread" for conceptualizing clients. There was no "we chose to...." They are RIGHT. And another: you can enter a considerable amount of information, especially in billing, and then be told it can't be stored because it isn't properly allocated, or whatever. Can't they store it and flag it so you can return? I've wasted a lot of time here. There's no way to know in advance that you'll lose the information until you go to save it.

Pros

I like the electronic billing feature and the fact that it receives and allows recording of Electronic Remittance Advice from payers; the scheduling feature; ease of entering initial billing information from electronic ERAs (though there are other huge problems with billing); some aspects of the notes section; customer support by phone (but not via email); hours available for phone support, including weekend; other areas I'm not thinking of at the moment. Even though I can't recommend it, I do think it has many strengths.

Cons

(1) The billing area has countless flaws that my husband, a software developer on Mac and Windows for nearly 40 years, has called to their attention to no avail. When I note these weaknesses, they sound like it's the first time they've heard about it and "pass it on to their team." If you work with Medicare clients or clients who rely on two insurers, watch out. Most Medicare patients have secondary insurance that does not show up in the billing area so that you basically have to use a cumbersome process to enter secondary payment, and it's not immediately clear who paid what, as payments by each don't show up side-by-side in Billing, each associated with the proper payer. If you aren't a provider for the secondary, you have to use a "trick" to enter it. It is not intuitive overall. (2) While phone support is good, email is poor. I write in thorough explanation of the problem so that it can be solved in one go. Most times I write to them, I get a condescending first response that blows me off and requires another complex email essentially conveying the same information. (3) There is no manual. They've been in business too long for this. (4) The articles don't cover enough. For example, I entered "set place of service." Sounds easy, but no hits. (5) They put a lot of resources into tele-therapy when the pandemic hit, which appeared to divert programmers. They make lots of money; why not hire more?

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I read about it and it struck me as the best product among the few on the market at the time. I bought it when it just came to market, as I recall, and there were few other programs available.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied March 2021

Thanks for your feedback. We'll be reaching out directly, particularly so we can clarify what billing issues you're seeing. 1. We're unaware of what flaws you're referring to but, hope to learn more. We do have some improvements coming out soon to improve secondary insurance, so hopefully this will address your concern. 2. We will look into why you received poor email support. The people that answer email are the same people that provide stellar phone support. 3. We have no plans to have a printed manual. The Help Center (support.therapynotes.com) is our digital manual. 4. If you can't find your answers in the help center, please call for support and we'll help out. We are readily available. I agree there's an opportunity to add more content. 5. We didn't divert anyone to work on telehealth. There are 6 development teams, one of which was already working on Telehealth. We are always hiring more developers.

Elaine from Sense the Possibilities PLLC

Software effectiveness

I am in the promotional period and so far I am impressed by the delivery of service. The ability to import treatment plan information right into the notes saves time, because they do it for you. They are always available to support you every step of the way.

Pros

What I like most is the ease of use or adding patients, payers, and notes. I am able to set reminders for these features, create my own templates and add them to my library for myself or organizations use. Sending documents though the client portal is amazing, there is no need for print, fax or encrypted emails to get authorizations signed it is done electronically. Telehealth is included free! CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS THE BEST.

Cons

For special cases ie. Minor clients requiring multiple caregiver access to the client portal would need two account for the same client. It is not hard to do, however developing a portal link for such cases would be great! The pricing is reasonable, I don't like the individual charges in addition to the subscription cost. Such as submitting the billing claim to insurance is charged as additional cost per client. This can add up if bulk claims are not authorized by some payors. A portal link for Child welfare cases would be great! accepting credit cards is also an add on feature charge per transaction.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Quality service at a reasonable price, customer service, and training videos dedicated to specific features of the software. HIPPA compliance

Doug from Doug Girard, Psy.D.

Disappointed after 3 years with the platform

Pros

Good documentation management. Well-designed for use with families and minors. Billing features met my needs as a practitioner not accepting insurance.

Cons

Infrastructure problems abound with TN. There was a multi-day service outage in the summer of 2017, with little communication from the company to customers during the outage and no compensation for the downtime. In December 2017/January 2018, I finally lost my patience with the platform when the company decided to implement a major change in the database mid-week and the database upgrade destabilized the platform resulting in more downtime. Regarding the software... Your notes will be top-quality notes, but they will take you forever to write because the workflow is overly rigid. There is no way to customize what questions are asked in intake notes, progress notes, termination notes, etc. Text fields are too small, and only unformatted text is permitted. File attachments cannot be added to notes. There is currently no way to use the patient portal to have clients fill out forms, pay bills, send/receive documents, and perform secure messaging. No mobile app. No two-way sync with calendars means constantly having to check two calendars. 10 MB limit on file uploads. I was on the platform for almost 3 years and saw only very minimal feature enhancements/additions. And get ready for a very poor user experience when you decide to leave the platform; plan to basically download thousands of resources manually with no help from the dev team. When I sent feedback to the dev team on my way out, they defended their poor design choices and offered kludgy workarounds rather than listen.

Tammi from Supportive Solutions LLC

OUTSTANDING SOFTWARE AND FRIENDLY STAFF

We have been in business since 2011. We started with Therapy Notes and as we grew we changed and went to another software, Big Mistake, we returned to Therapy Notes. We continued to grow and had our billing service contracted out, we had to change software to accommodate the billing company. Another BIG Mistake, not on the billing company just on software, we released the company and returned to Therapy Notes, we will not be moving again......We are pleased with therapy notes and the billing.

Pros

Billing is so easy and it gives you billing at your finger tips, it is user friendly and the staff is awesome on assisting if you are not sure how to utilize all the features.

Cons

the billing notes and rejection of claims, are a bit unfriendly. It is hard for me to keep up with who has not paid. On the initial assessment when audit, it lacks the auditors need. We are in NC and the initial assessment require different things than on the psychotherapy intake note.

user friendly

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

hired billing company which required us to change.

David from Generations Church

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Easy For All

Overall, I've enjoyed using the product, and look forward to continue using it. The pricing is competitive, especially for a non-profit, this has been a great selling point when compared to other companies.

Pros

I like that the software has a lot of built in features that are handy when starting to use the software. The company has also release a lot of great videos on youtube to help you navigate through the different options and features included in the software. I've used these videos to help find answers to questions. Next, it has been really easy for my clients to use as well. Their portal allows for easy transfer of paperwork and allows for clients to sign things electronically, so clients don't always have to download and sign the document then reupload it.

Cons

At this time, the telehealth feature doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Zoom or Microsoft Teams (MT) has. This is, from my understanding, a new feature so I hope they continue to work on this. Screen share or screen flipping would be helpful as I used these a lot during sessions when I used MT. It would also be useful if when you entered into the telehealth feature, it would open into a separate window so that you could still access the client's file or library.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I chose TherapyNotes because the price was right, and I felt that SimplePractice did not offer as much when comparing them. Although I did like the look of SimplePractice, I felt the consumer paid too much for just looks alone. In practice I feel that TherapyNotes is simpler for the therapists and clients.

Nicole from Asili Wellness

TherapyNotes 2021

TherapyNotes is an effective EMR solution for my daily operations as a private practice owner and clinician.

Pros

Fillable content for therapy intakes, progress notes, treatment plans, etc and it makes charting completion a breeze! I also LOVE the calendar schedule and have it on my phone.

Cons

It would be great if intake forms were fillable for clients. I have to pay a separate fee with Adobe in order for clients to be able to complete forms such as HIPAA, intake, office policies. There is also no app.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I had already been using TherapyNotes for a few years, and there were no uploaded templates in SimplePractice. Switching over to Simple Practice would be time consuming and burdensome. In regards to TheraNest, it was too expensive.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied February 2021

Thank you for the awesome review. We are working on more features for the portal. I think you'll be very pleased!

Regan from Flint Hills Mental Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

Extremely User Friendly and Best Customer Service EVER!

So very glad I chose TherapyNotes. I had previewed some other software, and for me, hands down, this is the one!

Pros

I love how user friendly the software is. However, sometimes in my profession, things are unusual or complication. TherapyNotes customer service is the BEST! I never have to worry - they are quick, efficient, courteous, and knowledgeable, no matter how many times I have to ask the same thing :)

Cons

Literally, nothing. Ok, maybe I wish the columns of the report on the main page of the billing section were customizable. But I can customize a report that does the same thing!

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

More user friendly; amazing tech support and customer service!

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied February 2021

Thank you for the perfect review! When you do a search on the Billing page, there's a "Select Columns" icon on the far right. Click that to select the columns you would like to see. I believe that's what you're asking for, but if not feel free to submit a feature request to support. Thanks!

Rhonda from Bloomington Neurofeedback

Ease of Use and Incredible Customer Service

So pleased with my choice. It does everything that I need. Again, kudos to their customer service team. Everyone has been spot on knowledgeable and genuine.

Pros

The software is laid out in a very intuitive way. I can find what I need multiple ways. It is very easy to use which takes one thing off my plate. And if I ever have a question, the customer services is, hands down, the best I’ve found.

Cons

The only thing I would like to see changed is that I cannot create a superbill for clients until after I write the session note. I would like to be able to hand the client a superbill at the end of the session if they request one but I cannot do that.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Price, service and I had two months to try the software before purchase.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Ease of use, cost, digital client portal, customer service.

Joanne from Acuity Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Potential but needs a couple features.

Overall, I give it a B+ with potential to be an A. It just seems to be a little bit behind in updating to the latest technology.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use, although I already had background in a similar software. It may be more difficult starting from scratch. I really like the library feature; it's so nice to be able to access documents within the program. Saves me a lot of time! I like the reminders that pop up on my to do list, so I don't forget to update a treatment plan or contact a client who hasn't seen me in awhile. It's one less thing I have to worry about.

Cons

I have 2 complaints having used one of TherapyNotes competitors at my previous practice. One, I miss having an app on my phone. Yes, I can have a "link" to the website, but it's clunky, and the view doesn't work well. And, two, I miss being able to see protected views of my colleagues' calendars. Trying to coordinate meetings/consultations is difficult. It's the biggest complaint in our office about the software.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

I used SimplePractice at my previous practice. I changed employers.

Mary Kate from Mindful Balance Therapy Center PLLC

No regrets

I chose this product for the value and the reputation for outstanding support. I've been pleasantly surprised over and over again as they continue to improve on what was already a clean, intuitive program.

Pros

Customer support is superb, especially compared to the practice management software we were using prior. Therapy Notes constantly improves and updates, adding both free and paid features. Updates are never disruptive and always ultimately improve our workflow.

Cons

Enrollment for ERAs, EFTs, and EDI could be smoother- the clearinghouse is a separate entity, and the instructions they provide through Therapy Notes aren't always clear or complete.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Cleaner, cheaper, more intuitive, great reputation for customer support.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

My Clients Plus had absolutely terrible service, didn't allow credit card processing, doesn't allow use of the "back" button, the reporting is buggy, and the billing is incredibly confusing.

George from Workshop Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent value and customer service

All in all, I am extremely satisfied with the software and believe that the issues mentioned will eventually also be ironed out.

Pros

This software is excellently priced for what you get, and they are constantly adding new features. The more I use it, the more I replace other platforms and my practice becomes more integrated. Additionally, their customer service professionals have never failed to answer my questions efficiently, professionally, and honestly (in the cases when a requested feature is not available).

Cons

While most of the software is intuitive and simple, as with all software there is a learning curve for some of the more intermediate and advanced features. There are aspects of the software that I wish were more customizable (specifically intake documentation). Their telehealth interface is fairly new and seems to take more bandwidth than other platforms, sometimes resulting in grainy pictures or dropped calls if both parties have a less than strong internet service. Lastly, a practice-wide email function would be helpful, especially in recent times when messaging about safety protocols have been so dynamic.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Cost, simplicity, all-in-one functionality.

Beza from Therapeutic Links Behavioral Health Services

Overall Experience with TherapyNotes

I have also been impressed with the quality of the customer service with the support staff agent. The agent that assisted me one evening in particular, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt in resolving my issues that had stalled my work previously. Much appreciated and will highly recommend!

Pros

TherapyNotes was relatively easy to use after practicing some changes when crossing over from a different EHR (Theranest). After a month of practice, I found the documentation was relatively easy for daily progress notes and the psychosocial intake components. I particularly liked the intake section where it divides the areas of psychosocial with the specific questioner. Another plus is scheduling ease; TherapyNotes allows me to schedule my client on a monthly basis on a specific day rather than requiring manual entry from my previous EHR system. It also provides me with the option of system reminders via email and or text message depending on the client's preference. Lastly, from an audit standpoint, it appears TherapyNotes do not allow preliminary license holders such as LGPC, LGSW, etc.. from entering individual notes on new clients without the clinical supervisor approving/signing off on the treatment plan first. Also, TherapyNotes requires a clinician to document a treatment plan on the second visit following the initial intake prior to clearing the clinician from entering a progress note. I have also been informed billing insurance providers can only transpire after all entered notes for the service date has been signed off. The above-mentioned requirements from Therapynotes do quality control for audit and ethical purposes for practice holders.

Cons

The one thing I do find problematic with Therapynotes is the treatment plan section. The document allows the clinical to enter the approximate length of treatment however it does not allow for a clinical to set a review date (of 30, 60, or 90 days). This technically means Therappnotes does not generate a reminder for a clinical to review a treatment plan and resolve, complete, and or change with a selected review date in mind. That has been a rather frustrating experience and can possibly lead to audit issues.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied February 2021

Thank you for the glowing review! Actually, you can set the treatment plan review reminders! Visit The To-Do List Settings page. The default is 90 days, but you can adjust this value for your needs. Enjoy!

Howard from Ronin BTE

Excellent Product, could use some tweaks; Using it over 10 years

I have long enjoyed the TherapyNotes system and often recommend it. It is an ever evolving therapist oriented office support platform and I have always found it to be helpful. I am struggling with it, at this time however, because I am having to (at 53 y.o) learn how to do my own billing and am often lost in these very spooky woods alone. Superivising someone else's organization and simply paying attention to generated reports is a very different experience to running my own practice without a dedicated billing support team.

Pros

Simple, elegant, excellent User Interface; Easily Learned; Excellent ease of record entry, maintenance, and search; Internet accessibility; Marvelous Calendar system; Amazing Customer Support team.

Cons

Benefits and billing system needs to be integrated into the package; I have been unable to write notes and bill according to my own method (free form progress note without DAP/SOAP/etc format); notes are completely reliant upon connection to treatment plan in software which does not allow me to write a note in my best manner and to bill afterwards. I need a billing professional connected with my efforts to submit and track my billing, do reconciliations, or a long, in-depth training with a staff member who can teach this to me. It is my weakness but I need this to be able to have full reliance upon the software. I simply wish to see clients and find a way to automate everything else as smoothly as possible with very little difficulty. This issue set forced me into hiring Theranest as, with Theranest, I can operate how i do (in-paper chart Treatment Plan and Coping/Safety Plan; writing a process note and billing from that); Lack of ability to communicate with Google (via my iPad's) calendar is a very severe, serious, and ongoing frustration.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I did not want to write my own client record database again. I was new to the Apple I wanted, and needed, to have the ability to access client records and calendar on the go via the internet while moving around a 13 county area of service provision in Montana. This was 8+ years ago. I spoke with the gentleman who created the system when I called and thought that was great! He was very understanding and quite open with me about plans for future development which would be able to encompass my ideas for what I would ultimately want in a software package like this. So, I thought yo myself, why not support them? It was a great decision!!! I have not yet regretted it. And, even though I use another platform for my billing needs for now, I will not leave TherapyNotes as I eagerly await its slow, but methodical and meticulous, development into the platform I am seeking to have for my ideal practice management software package.

Jennifer from Private Practice

My Love/Hate Relationship with This Software

As a therapist, sometimes I feel like being with TN is akin to staying in a bad relationship. They don't actually promise anything but I keep staying because I keep hoping/believing they're going to come through one day and offer these features (i.e. fillable client intake forms that transfer the data into my intake note, a mobile app, and a two-way calendar). TN is also charging the same amount of money or in some cases more money as other EHRs that do offer these simplistic features. One good thing is that they did lower the price by $10 per month for solo practices, but I am already paying $79 per month for myself and one intern. That price will increase by $20 per month for every intern I supervise, and I currently have ten prospective interns waiting in the wings. You do the math.

Pros

The good: First, TherapyNotes has outstanding customer service. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and able to troubleshoot issues within minutes after I've wrestled for hours trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Secondly, ease of billing. I have been with this service since 2015 and I've tried about four other EHR products, but I keep coming back to TN because of the ease of billing. All you have to do is input the client's insurance information and once you complete a note, you just press a button and the claim is sent out. With other EHRs, I still had to fill out my own claim forms, which I didn't know how to do. Because TN makes it so simple, I have decided to stay with them. Getting paid is pretty important, so I suppose this would be the single greatest value for me as far as this software is concerned.

Cons

The bad: They consistently refuse to provide the simplest of features requested by their users. I am intentionally using the word "refuse" because it is clearly a choice made by TN. I asked TN in September 2016 if they would EVER implement an electronic intake form. TN told me they were "working on it" and gave me an estimate of December 2016. It actually didn't happen until several months later, and when they finally revealed it, it was so disappointing. All they did was give us the ability to upload a form to the portal so a patient could download it, fill it out, and then upload it back. This means I still have to go through the time consuming task of manually typing everything the client wrote into the intake form on my end. When TN released this feature, they were so excited, as if it were the most amazing feature they've ever rolled out, completely oblivious to the fact that this "feature" is not much different from me emailing my intake form to a client. Apparently TN thinks it's still 2003. Several users left comments on the announcement post telling TN this is NOT what we were waiting for. As of May 2020, we are still waiting. TN also doesn't have a mobile app, while most other EHRs do. As someone else stated, there is no two-way calendar integration. I'd also like to see a way for me to document supervision meetings with my interns. Right now I have to create a separate client account for each of my interns to keep track of supervision meetings.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

One reason and one reason only: it is the only software that makes billing a breeze and actually gets me paid. With TherapyNotes, all I have to do is press a button and my claims are sent, processed, and paid within a few weeks. With all the other products I've tried, I still had to fill out my own forms and I often had errors. One of the other companies consistently paid my Cigna claims, but every Medicare claim was rejected. After months of going back and forth with customer service, I finally switched back to TherapyNotes. TherapyNotes irritates me for the "cons" I listed above, but at least I don't have to sit for hours trying to process my claims. In the end, this is the lesser of two evils. I would rather fill out intake paperwork ONCE per client than have to wrestle with claim forms every session. I have already tried four other EHRs and in the end, TherapyNotes does make my life easier than the others, even though I can't understand why they won't give us the simple features we've been asking for years. If TN did listen to its customers and add an app, a fillable intake form, and a two-way calendar, they wouldn't just be the lesser of two evils; they'd be the BEST.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied May 2020

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We have a team of full-time developers working on TherapyNotes, and we are adding new features and improvements as quickly as we can, and the portal has been of significant priority. In addition to the Patient Information Form, we recently released the Patient Contact Form, and more forms and portal features are in development now. It is certainly not a matter of us refusing to add features, it's just a matter of getting to everything we want to accomplish.

Micheal Frances from Revolution Psychotherapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Therapynotes is true to the promises it makes to customers

Pros

I run a small practice and I do most of my own billing, scheduling and of course documentation of my client's progress. This program is comprehensive and easy to use. What really makes this company better than the others in the field is their customer service. Plainly speaking the other companies I've tried offered little or no useable customer service, which resulted in my getting "stuck" on how to use their systems - and having to wait several hours or even days to get an answer on how to use a particular feature.

Cons

Compared to other programs I have used, Therapynotes just doesn't have things I dislike.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Plain and simple, I'm staying with TherapyNotes because they true to their word when it comes to live support. Unlike Simplepractice, they don't leave the burden of training on customers; Therapynotes provides the support needed to use the program. Unlike Theranest, Therapynotes does not lie about it's customer service. They actually walk their talk.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

SimplePractice offers NO live customer support. You are told where the "database" of instructions on how to use the program is located and you are on your own. Programs like this are detailed and complex - there is a fairly steep learning curve. For me, it's a glorious waste of my time to be told to go search in the haystack for the specific information you need to properly use the program. Theranest - the second practice management program I used SAID they offer live customer support, but in fact, they lie about this kind of support. In fact, when using Theranest, I was often required to leave a message and wait for an answer - sometime up to two or three days later. When you are working a busy practice, and you want to bill, or make notes on a session, it is not sustainable to have to wait to receive answers on how to use the program.

Mary from The Healing Group

Best EHR for Mental Health Practices

Please see below...

Pros

I love the overall professional presentation of the software. It is clear that Therapy Notes values this and that they work hard to not compromise this. It plays out in the way that they will take their time to carefully design and implement new features and the existing ones are relevant and well thought out. It is evident that they are concerned most with ethics and best practice in the mental healthcare field and not in pleasing everyone because designing a database is not in most clinician's wheelhouse. They have a big job with what they do and this clinician appreciates how they are doing it and the fruits of their labor.

Cons

I do wish the portal could be a little more robust but again, this is something that I know they are working on and there are details that they are considering that are out of my scope.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

It is the most professional, intuitive, and relevant EHR software. I have also worked in a hospital setting using EPIC.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

True story: We had Therapy Notes first and for about 6 years before we switched to Simple Practice. We initially switched because we wanted something that would automate our billing and streamline our intake paperwork. Once we migrated over to SP, it quickly became a nightmare as it was evidenced that all that nice scaffolding that TN has in place does not exist in SP. That the design of their (SP's) EHR does not support best practices (i.e. you can submit an insurance claim without having completed the psychotherapy progress note which is not in compliance with insurance credentialing contracts which require this. When I inquired about this with SP, I was told that they had customers that do their notes externally and that's why their permissions allowed this. This explanation makes absolutely no sense since why would you pay for an EHR but not use the note software portion which is the bulk of a client's file? As well, I suggested that they could at least have a checkbox "Note completed externally" to acknowledge the note was done for compliance and I was told "that seems like a lot of work.") The 2 main reasons we came over ended up being big reasons for why we returned to TN as SP did not deliver what they promised with the billing (it's unprofessional and like someone adopted what their parent showed them how to run their high school lawn mowing business) and the paperwork feature did not integrate and was cumbersome to use.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied October 2019

Thanks for the great review! Yep, we continue to add functionality to the portal. Stay tuned to our blog for updates.

Beyond Outstanding!

A+++++ EXCEPTIONAL, FAST AND ACCOMMODATING CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM A COMPANY I FEEL IS A TRUE TEAM WHO UNDERSTANDS ME AS A PROFESSIONAL (AND HUMAN BEING) AND THEY ARE ALWAYS, ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP ME IF A HARDSHIP ARISES AND WILL HONOR THAT EACH TIME BY HELPING ME OR ANYONE ELSE (as long as it doesn't become a continuous habit). They're truly amazing. I LOVE this company!

Pros

Therapy Notes (as an organization) provides optimal, timely, friendly & solution-focused customer service for any need I've called about. They are EXTREMELY UNDERSTANDING if you experience a Hardship of Financial setback (I was diagnosed with Lupus) and will do ALL it takes to accommodating your needs to help get you back on track. Their software interace is extremey user-friendly (setting up your initial account, inputting new client information, scheduling (including a partient portal which assists clients in schedule their own appointment REQUESTS, automated email appt reminders, exceptional clinical documentation, SIMPLE billing practices to submit claims and receive ERA's (with one-click "posting" to various client accounts who are included on the same return ERA.) Payment processing has Several options (my favorite is "Submitted Payment through an External Account/Debit) because most of my client prefer quick POS payment processing for matters such as paying their per session Co-Pays. ETHICAL: Providers are blocked from submitted claims for processing until the corresponding clinical note has been signed. No way around this. Therefore, IF a provider wants reimbursement for services provided, they MUST be compliant and have signed and submitted their clinical documentation. Providers are able to change the settings of the program....but Not that ONE requirement for liability purposes of course. Seriously, Beyond Outstanding!

Cons

I'd say the ONE thing that makes it Exceptional::: LOL:::: The program forces providers to complete their clinical documentation within 24-48 hours. Unless you do so, the system blocks your ability to "bill" (and get paid!!) Ugh (but it's a good thing!) I wish they'd develop an APP. I've been asking them for almost 4 years, yet they don't have one? Despite making several other changes to their system (i.e. blogging). They're such an advanced, in-tune, intelligent team of "younger" professionals, it's actually a bit mind-blowing for me that there hasn't been an APP created to support their "mobile consumers".... I feel they could POTENTIALLY be losing lots of business potential by neglecting to make this a priority (knowing that most of their main competitors do function via Apps and their lack of developing one decreases their "attractiveness" over to a company who uses an APP, DESPITE that TN is Superior in every other way!

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Already explained. Please READ this Glowing review ad testimony to how Outstanding they are in every capacity :) Customer Service ) WOW!!!!! Ease of Use: YES!!!!! Price Point: BEYOND worth it. There ya' go, Katie :)

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

I left my group practice and opened my own company in 2016. When I made that transition, I intentionally switched software and billing systems. I wasn't a fan of my former one at all and TN offered exactly what I was seeking at a price point within my budget (and after researching different options for weeks) I read several times that they specialize in the smaller, more intimate small businesses as opposed to large organziations. Which is the reason they're able to provide such exemplary customer service. Also, their product is specifically designed for Mental Health!!! Bonus!

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied September 2019

Thank you Katie for the A+++++ review! Yes we do require notes before you can submit claims, but to be clear there is no "24-48 hour" requirement. You can do your notes whenever you want, as long as you do it before you bill. We haven't prioritized an app because we have so much else we want to accomplish. Plus, you CAN use TherapyNotes on your mobile device in your web browser, and you can push your appointments to your smart phone's mobile calendar. Please check the knowledgebase for instructions on how to do that. Thanks again! :)

Bethany from TheraMed Solutions LLC.

TherapyNotes- A revolution in Behavioral Health Billing and EHR

Submitting claims for the entire day of work takes anywhere between 10 seconds to 4 minutes tops depending on if anything needs changed before it is submitted. The scheduling calendar is a breeze with the ability to see multiple locations and multiple providers at the same time, or restrict it to one provider at all locations, all providers at one location, or any configuration of that you can think of. It is color coded, giving each clinician a different color, so office staff can easily see which patients are with which doctor. And you can set up recurring appointments with the click of a button for as many or as few weeks as you would like for a patient. You can also individualize the billing per Insurance company, and per doctor, so any special billing can be saved and will be automatically input for the payers that require it. Also, the visit records (notes) that the doctors input for each patient are extremely well organized, and easy to print and provide to insurance companies/workers comp/other providers when requested. TherapyNotes is intuitive software that is easy to learn, user friendly, and inexpensive in comparison to other options.

Pros

The price charged, along with what you get is incomparable, this software is head and shoulders above the competition. TherapyNotes has solved 99% of our Billing and EHR issues. When issues do arise, we are able to get a representative on the phone within 1 minute flat, (this is record time, EVERY time.) and they are always extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and can SOLVE any problem. The one and only problem I still have, is already in the works for the next update to solve, and TherapyNotes staff has provided such an easy workaround in the meantime, that it has become nearly a non-issue. It is an extremely user friendly interface, and we have come to find that any mistake made within the system (Billing/health records/you name it) can be reversed, without any issues.

Cons

The Doctors had a hard time, when the office first transitioned to TherapyNotes, getting the notes completed. (All notes regarding a patient's visit on that date of service need to be completed before that DOS claim can be sent out. There is no deadline to complete them, you just can't send the claim until they are completed) Once the clinicians adjusted to writing their notes in a timely fashion, they too have concluded that they much prefer TherapyNotes over our old software (NueMD) which was MUCH more costly, for extensively less features that are beneficial to a behavioral health practice.

Brian from BlueSky Wellness, llc

Industry: Mental Health Care

Very comprehensive, user friendly, and overall fantastic EHR/Billing software!

Overall a really pleasant experience with TN. Highly recommended!

Pros

- Comprehensive and robust charting system - Pre-populated progress notes from dx and treatment goals from intake / 1st treatment plan making completing half of the note a breeze! - Pre-populated interventions list, or create your own - Fantastic ability to submit claims electronically with ease making the billing process a breeze! ERA’s (EOB’s in electronic format) come straight from the clearinghouse making reconciliation a one click process vs manually entering insurance payments. These two features have saved me tremendous time! - All of your billing is easily accessible either by patient, or practice wide. Many reports you can run to efficiently keep an eye on your cash flow. - Appointment reminders via text, phone call, or email. Clients LOVE them! Reliable. - Incredible customer support! Second to none. Every time I call there are no long wait times (usually under 5 minutes or less!) Customer support is clearly extremely knowledgeable about the software and are eager to help problem solve technical issues or just there to guide you through the use of the product. I can’t tell you how helpful they have been. Words can’t describe. They really are amazing! :) - THE PRICE! Superb value for such a comprehensive system. This is a company who isn’t looking to squeeze out as much as they can from you. It’s very affordable for solo practice clinicians who are already struggling to make a living with all other expenses a practice runs into.

Cons

- Sometimes the billing can get confusing due to the complexity of the process of billing with insurance in general. - No telehealth module yet! Once HIPAA complaint video confrerencing comes, TN will truly be an ideal fully comprehensive easy to use platform! Looking forward to it!

Above & Beyond!!

TherapyNotes has the most outstanding customer service of Any company in which I've ever conducted business. Each time I call them they respond within 1-2 hours with a Solution to my inquiry. When I have certain requests pertaining to my practice or TN account, they willingly and generously support my concerns and do whatever it takes to work with me so that my practice succeeds. I could go on and on with this answer but simply put, I'm so grateful I "stumbled" upon this company and EHR softward progam because I've had ZERO issues with them at all and would highly recommend them to any person seeking a new documentation system!

Pros

TherapyNotes EHR is an outstanding software for my private counseling practice. It's ease of use and ample "help" section makes it simple for me to learn anything I have questions about --most of the time without even needing to call them. I've been a customer since 2016 and have only positive feedback to give. Use the free-trial offer. I did and have no regrets.

Cons

Regarding TherapyNotes, there are only 2 things that cross my mind now and then. 1) I'd like for them to develop a mobile app. I mentioned this to them and they were very receptive stating they were in the process of doing so. I'm looking forward to that! 2) I'd LOVE if TN created Intake forms that could be tailored to individual practices (i.e. insert company name here) If demographic, consent, HIPPA, cancellation, etc. forms were incorporated into the program and could be easily send to new clients through the patient portal , it would save me a ton of time and allow me to concentrate on providing therapy rather than on the necessary paperwork that is required.

Donna from Delich Counseling Services, LLC

Excellent Company

Excellent company I have been with Therapy Notes for over three years and have never had a bad experience with the product or the service. They go above and beyond to make sure you as a provider or user have the help and support you need. They are constantly making improvements in the software and they make taking care of the paperwork end of business so easy. I have had pleasant and great experiences every time I call their support team with questions. No question is left unanswered nor are they too trivial. They try to make the product as user friendly as possible and are there to guide you through it all. I love that my notes are professional and easily read, all information that needs to be in them are there, I once got audited on a couple of clients by Medicaid and it was so easy to pull up what I needed and get it sent in. Passed with flying colors because all that I needed was in the note format. My clients all get a reminder text or call and they love it. I appreciate all the hard work they do on their end to make this a top of the line product for those of us on the front lines with clients. Billing is easy and user friendly. i would and have recommended this company to anyone looking for a good safe and professional product to help you in keeping documentation and billing orderly and consistent with expectations of our fields of practice. Thank you Therapy Notes!

Pros

I like everything about it. It is user friendly, if you need help the support team is exceptional. Notes are professional and clear, easy to read, treatment plans are wonderfully easy and all you need for notes are available for documentation. Their billing is easy and support is a phone call or email away. I have used the product for 3 years plus and have never had a bad experience with the company. It keeps confidentiality, and ease of keeping client information in a safe place.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about this software.

Great product

Overall Therapy Notes is great and my office is sticking with it! I can't wait to see the updates in the future to see how they improve. The price is great as well and they are always helpful!

Pros

This software is super easy to use and has a lot of great features! Their customer service is amazing and they take feedback from their users to make improvements! I love that that it has everything all in one and it makes scheduling, billing, and note taking extremely simple and conveniently fast! There is a client portal included which makes it easy for clients to schedule and submit documents that you have requested. The note templates are helpful and make it easy to make sure you have all the information you are needing in the note. Updates come out all the time with improvements which shows they are using the feedback! They also include a telehealth platform which makes online appointments easy to access and they just added a share screen option!

Cons

Therapy Notes is great but it is missing some features that other programs have. There is no app or client messaging like other popular programs which would make it easier to see scheduling or client messages on the go or when out of the office. Also the telehealth platform is improving but it does not allow multiple participants and the share screen only allows you to share your entire desktop instead of specific windows which can be a little annoying.

Monique from Vine Christian counseling Services

So Grateful for TherapyNotes

I feel so supported by their customer care team! They are almost always available and help me with difficult questions. But the software itself is so intuitive you could figure most features out on your own...and trust me, I am not that great at technology.

Pros

The software is incredibly intuitive! The documentation options are current and has everything I need. The customer service is second to none! I am doing my own billing after never having billed on my own before, saving me $1,000's of dollars per year! I can sync my calendar with my personal calendar. The price is perfect for me!

Cons

I have not yet found any features that I do not like, other than wishing I could add my own "to do" items on my calendar. Maybe I can, and I just haven't discovered how to yet.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I had heard so many positive reviews. Also, I looked at both websites and found what I needed with Therapy Notes. The customer service, alone, is worth it!

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Kasa's customer care was sub-par. They had shifting responses to my questions and they were inept at providing the billing I was paying them for. When I brought my concerns to them they only defended their actions. I spent hours on the phone with insurance panels because their billing team left out information that was easily corrected on the phone. Their response to my concern was that "we can't help it if our users want answers and resolutions faster." They literally blamed me for needing answers and resolutions in a timely manner for their incompetence!!!!!

October 2012

Shawn from Shawn Davis LCSW PA

October 2012

A great therapy office addition

Overall I am very happy with the system and recommend it for practices of all sizes. The pros out weight the cons. Most of the negatives I have found are potential future features. There is already a plan to integrate appointment reminders to clients, which will be a great time saver. I have found updates to the system to occur very quickly and good follow through on promised features. They owners are definitely motivated to keep customers happy when able.

Pros

Notes are easy to enter for a busy practice. I love the features of uploading old paper charts for storage (other programs don't allow this). The feature of customizing procedure codes and interventions are a great option. The system is extremely easy to use. The to do list section is great for seeing notes that you may have forgotten to write, to notify you when a treatment plan is due, and to remind you to discharge clients who are no longer active. This is been extremely helpful to keep charts current. The ability to log in from other computers helps for accessing client information in a crisis without needing to go to the office. When I get requests for charts, I can easily download notes to fax or email without problems. The feature of generating client statements helps save a lot of time.

Cons

Being a small practice, I don't have funds for purchasing billing services in addition to the system, so I was disappointed in the billing fee being per submission rather than a flat rate. If a flat rate was offered for billing integration this might be resolved for smaller offices. It would also be helpful to generate customizable letters to clients for reoccuring situations such as discharge notice and missed appointments. There is also no way to generate client numbers within the system, so I currently have to keep a seperate excell document to generate client numbers (i.e. automatically assigning numbers when entering a new client). I also would like to have a billing documents section to scan copies of EOB statements that is seperate from the clinical chart. Current there is not way to integrate credit card processing within the system, but is a possible future feature.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied October 2012

Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, future planned futures will definitely assist with some of the items you mentioned and you are right that appointment reminders are coming very soon! (FYI, I'm typing this on 10/24/12. If you are from the future, we may already have this feature. Check the web site to find out!)

Diane from Diane M. Hoekstra, PhD, LLC

I switched BACK to TherapyNotes from Simple Practice

See above--willing to change back from other program, even though this is time consuming.

Pros

I left TherapyNotes for Simple Practice 8 months ago--I quickly recognized that I made a mistake as I began to use Simple Practice. Therapy Notes has a number of important advantages/features to note: 1) requiring the clinician to fill out intake and treatment plan before one can write progress notes means you will not drop ethically necessary documentation that is needed for record to be complete; 2) the ability to schedule ongoing appointments without an end date (simple practice only allowed you to schedule 30 appts at a time and on two occasions, an appointment dropped off the schedule and I was not in when a client arrived!!). 3). live support rather than going through submitting an email--A GOOD OLD FASHIONED PERSON WHO CAN ANSWER EVEN THE MOST SIMPLE QUESTIONS MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! 4). Requiring clinician to review treatment plan every 90 days when one would be likely to forget if you were not prompted. 5). Credit card processing costs less through Therapy Notes. Despite the difficulty of uploading client records back to TherapyNotes, I believe it is worth doing to be back with the better program.

Cons

I would like to be able to access easily on my cell phone and feel an App might make that the most user friendly.

See above--

Caroline from Head & Heart Therapeutic Solutions

Intuitive, Great Customer Service and Always Improving

Pros

TherapyNotes is really intuitive and easy to learn. It has great built-in reminder features to make it simple to use from a clinical perspective. I particularly love how the treatment objectives auto-populate into progress notes to keep you on track with monitoring and updating those. It's also really functional from an administrative and billing user perspective. I run a group practice and am really happy with TherapyNotes - I especially love the prompt and thorough customer service - it really sets them apart. I also love how often TherapyNotes is updated and really appears to take feedback and suggestions from users to heart. I am super impressed with this company!

Cons

I wish I could create an intake questionnaire that can be filled out online through the portal. Simple Practice had this feature and it was really functional and easy for clients.

Andrea from Thriveworks

Therapy Notes for Administrative Use

For me personally, and we have four offices filled with providers, Therapy Notes has enough options to fit the majority of our needs. I appreciate the quick support feedback. That's an important feature to me as a manager. I also appreciate their quick updates when there is an issue with the program, which is going to happen in any program one uses. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, they keep all of their users up-to-date in real time. I think Therapy Notes is a really good program and I would recommend it to anyone in this industry.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use and set it up to what works best for your practice/office. I have trained many people on Therapy Notes since we started using it in February of 2016. The software is intuitive and learning the ins and outs is not too time consuming. I like it much, and I mean MUCH, better than our previous software program.

Cons

There are a few items that we would like to see such as being able to set up a client with more than one provider, and have the software bill insurance for one provider, but allow another provider to be self-pay with no insurance. The other really big item would be to add a comments section on the actual billing page. While we can make comments on the billing settings page, it would make sense to also allow comments on the billing page, where our providers are more likely to look. There are a few tweaks here and there that I'd love to push for, but all in all it's a great program.

Susan from Susan B Merrick, LCSW, DCSW, LLC

Therapy Notes is a great product and the Customer Service is OUTSTANDING

Pros

Customer Service; it keeps improving; easy to set up a new client, schedule (free reminders two days before appointments are sent to clients), good templates for intakes, assessments, progress notes, great to do reminder lists, great EDI processing and more.

Cons

I have never been dis-satisfied with how I was treated. I may have not liked the answer :) - but the staff are great. The answers I don't like are when there are features I'd like that they don't have YET, so I have to do work arounds that take time. I would like the ability to BOLD, UNDERLINE and BULLET the text in my notes, better secondary insurance processing, and tele-therapy (currently using DOXY.me) I know they are working on these things, and with the things they aren't, they make a note and send it up the chain of command and tell me how to do the same, so I feel heard and valued.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I talked with colleagues who recommended other sites they use - but those sights didn't meet all of my needs/desires or were too cumbersome. So, even though I didn't personally know anyone using Therapy Notes, I decided to try it and during the trial period, I was very pleased. It has been a learning curve for me as my practice grows in size and needs, but totally worth it

Greg from MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS, LLC

Great EHR Product

I highly recommend this software.

Pros

The program is extremely easy to use with a very small learning curve. The automated task list is fantastic. I am able to keep on top of all that I need to do to be successful! Insurance claims and payments are a snap. All you have to do is write the note and click to submit a claim! Treatment planning template is quite useful and easy to populate Notes are organized in a really great format. I am confident I could succeed if ever audited. Customer support is AMAZING and LIVE any time you need them. They are a phone call away!

Cons

I would like a scheduling app that is directly tied to the Notes scheduling calendar. It is annoying to have to open a browser on my smartphone and input a password every time. Some screens are not able to be enlarged and therefore I am not able to schedule with ease. There is no way to create forms online and send them to clients to fill out online. I am currently sending paper, having clients fill them out with pen, and then scanning and uploading. A secure overlay email function (like hushmail?) directly incorporated into the software would be useful. When I click on the client's email address this would automatically open and be so useful and safe. A video conferencing option might be nice, depending on the overall cost.

Cherlisa from Sexual Health Education, Esteem, & Relationships

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to navigate and understand

On-time billing capability with quick reimbursements.

Pros

The billing and note writing format is the best part about this app.

Cons

Sometimes the sever times out. Though Google calendar syncing is an awesome feature, I’m definitely looking forward to a downloadable app.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

SimplePractice had a lot of outstanding features, including an app, a large database of downloadable forms (especially one for intake sessions), as well as various in-session engagement features ...it just wasn’t user-friendly when navigating through it.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

A full EMR wasn’t necessary for my practice.

brian from new springs counseling service

Therapy Notes

My experience with therapy notes has been great and I would recommend it to anybody

Pros

I like that it is easy to use, that it has reports for everything and the billing is made simple all you have to do is click submit and it is billed

Cons

I really have not found any cons. Maybe more of a tutorial on how to use it would be helpful. I have found it rather easy but some of my therapists have struggled at first then have loved it.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

The price of therapy-notes was better and I tried it first and liked it.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied December 2019

Brian, thanks for the great review! Regarding tutorials, be sure to take look at our Help Center, Blog, and Youtube Channel. We also do live webinars and provide phone support 7 days per week. https://support.therapynotes.com https://blog.therapynotes.com https://www.youtube.com/therapynotes

Awesome in Every Way!

Therapy Notes is the most Outstanding clinical documentation & billing software system I have ever used. It's "Ease of Use" is exceptional. But during times it may be difficult to solve your problem on your own, TN has a Rapid Customer Service Response Time (typically 24 or less via email), in addition to a vast array of Tutorials to access that are clearly written and easy to follow on just about every topic imaginable. I love having access to a knowledge-based library this comprehensive that I can utilize at times I need to look up a quick procedure I had forgotten or for when I need an answer quicker than it may take for TN to respond (NOTE: I'm referring to an email response!) You do have the option of calling the TN support team and receiving instant customer service from a friendly, patient TN support representative. One thing I love is that in the 4-5 short months I've been using TN, I've had to contact Support for a number of matters, as I am a new, first time practice owner. It's very comforting to be greeted by or responded to by the same set of people on staff to assist me. The consistent low turn over rate says a lot about the management of a company and the staff at TN genuinely make me feel as if they're getting to know me and my company/account personally. Some of the actual features that has made my job easier by switching to Therapy Notes is their multiple drop down menu features for Clinical Interventions, or the History drop down tap, which you can click on during a session with your Client to instantly review their status from their last session. Scheduling is a breeze, Billing is effortless and the Patient Portal is exceptional. The features are endless and I can't rave about it enough. Not to mention, they take ALL suggestions for improvement into consideration and actually respond to those requests with gratitude while providing you feedback on your request. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SIMPLE, YET THOROUGH AND COMPREHENSIVE SYSTEM DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR THE MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSION, THEN THERAPY NOTES IS THE ONE TO CHOOSE. HANDS DOWN, IT HAS MADE MY JOB SIMPLER AND HAS FREED UP VALUABLE TIME IN MY LIFE THAT I CAN NOW ALLOCATE TO MY FAMILY OR OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST. STOP RESEARCHING NOW! I personally signed up for the 30 day free trial to 5 or 6 different systems simultaneously when trying to make my choice as to which company to use. THERAPY NOTES IS ALL YOU NEED. Enjoy!

Audrey from Sheppard Counseling LLC

Extremely satisfied customer

I have used therapy notes for three years in past clinic. When I started my own company, I knew I wanted therapy notes to be the system I used. It’s an easy system to learn and helps me stay organized. Makes billing easy and so are the note templates. Telehealth has worked efficiently and simple for my clients to log in.

Pros

I most appreciate the customer service team. Every person I have spoken with have been amazingly helpful. System is easy to use and setup to fit my individual needs.

Cons

I haven’t ran across any problems this far.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Therapy notes was Cheaper and I was already familiar with the great customer service of therapy notes. A friendly person on the other end of the phone when you’re having an issue makes all the difference.

Judith from Judith M. Maruca, APRN, Private Practice

Best Product Available for Private Practice

Customer service is by the far the highest quality that I have encountered in many of the providers that as health care practitioners we deal with on a regular basis. The turnaround time is rapid, and I mean rapid. At times it has been within minutes. They are so easily accessible and so courteous and efficeint. If all companies operated with this model, medical offices everywhere would have a lot more smiling faces!!

Pros

This is such a user friendly interface. I am not technologically astute and this software is very easy to learn, it is so logical and straightforward. I love that it saves information enterened in previous sessions, such as MSE, medications, etc. and lows you to edit and adjust for current session rather than re-enter all of the data. There is no redundancy or series of non applicable boxes to check throught that you encounter in other EMR’s.

Cons

I wish there was part of the software that would save past med trials. I enter them in my intial eval, but they do not save and as I try and discontinue medications, I would like them to be saved. I have asked about this and told I can enter them in the area saved for notes on medications, but I would like it to save on med list automatically.

Victor from Achieve Your True Potential

Industry: Mental Health Care

Wish I had found Therapy Notes first!

The transition has been timely, but been smooth. Telephone customer support has been amazing and we are glad to have found Therapy Notes.

Pros

Customer Service, by far! We are moving from a different platform, so it wasn't just about learning a new platform but about unlearning on old one while learning a new process. Therapy Notes was pretty self explanatory, but when we had questions they were always there and willing to assist. Telephone customer support!

Cons

I do wish we could upload our own intake forms. They do have forms and they have improved them, but we spent the time do create out own and we would prefer not to have to use a third party to use them.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Price was too high! Support wasn't as robust as Therapy Notes.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Customer service made every issue our fault, seriously! Half of the functionality didn't work and when I called they would say it works on our side, you must be doing something wrong! Or they just wouldn't respond (email only).

March 2015

Kerrin from Hopetree Counseling Center

March 2015

Great Experience with Therapy Notes

Pros

Therapy Notes has been the best thing we have done for our practice. It has saved time, money and space. I own a group practice and we are able to have multiple clinicians using the system at the same time. TherapyNotes will automatically do the billing with one click once the client information is entered and the note is finished. The notes are extremely user-friendly and easy to use. The notes can definitely be filled out between sessions to maximize your time. There is also no need for bulky file cabinets as all of the client documents can be scanned and entered into the system. It is very user-friendly, even my most technology challenged clinician can use it at ease. Also, the customer service is amazing. You can ask them any question and they will answer it, usually within a few minutes, at most a few hours. I would recommend this product to any clinician who wants to keep his or her sanity and time. Everything is all in one place and life is much more streamlined for sure! This product has literally saved my practice.

Cons

The thing that I like least is that there is no client portal, which means clients cannot log in to schedule appointments or change them. We have our website set up so that clients can book their own appointments and we must use Full Slate to do this, so it means we must constantly go back and forth to the two sites in order to keep our calendar. Other than that, it is great and hopefully they will have the client portal up and running really soon.

Kelly from Pursuit of Wellness

Brief Experience

TherapyNotes is a great option but needs to remain competitive with the growing market of EHR. I would recommend it, but unless it's price changes, it was easier to choose the alternative option.

Pros

This software is great for a private practice. It has all the necessary features like scheduling, payments, an easy to use client portal, and of course documentation. The formatting was use friendly, attractive, and intuitive. As a solo practitioner, there were many features I did not have the opportunity to use that I am sure would have been useful for a larger practice (non-clinical staff features).

Cons

The features were very similar to SimplePractice, which at the time of sign up, was cheaper. TherapyNotes charged for client reminders, .14 cents per reminder. That can really add up! I also believe that the credit card payment is more expensive through Therapynotes. Therapynotes also does not offer a secure messaging system, which has been helpful for communicating with my patients.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I didn't! I ended up leaving TherapyNotes for the above reason for SimplePractice.

Sherry from Great Plains Counseling, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Consistently professional and available customer care

Very smooth. Reliable comprehensive software that is affordable for a mental health practice.

Pros

I use the software for everything - scheduling, clinical notes, video sessions, credit card payments, billing of insurance and clients. There is no perfectly working software 100% of the time, but it's pretty close and customer care is available when there is a problem. It is also pretty intuitive and fairly pleasing to the eye. (I have seen others that have a really bland, programmer look to them.

Cons

Would like to see a couple features that I believe they are working on. I do have to use an outside secure mail service or fax if I want a client or other professional to send me a document that is not in my forms list. Other minor things that don't make or break my relationship with them but I feel confident that I can make a suggestion and they will likely work on it.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

The other was insanely expensive and not intuitive to use. I do think newer software has generally become more user friendly and lower in price since then.

Luis from Heath, Wealth and Fitness

Pretty good.

Despite my detailed list of "cons," I'm pretty happy with the software. It gets the job done, and is very affordable.

Pros

I am grateful to the TherapyNotes team for making this software available to me at a discount. I provide pro bono services 1x/week, through Give an Hour, to a military family. This software allows me to do all my clinical documentation. Setup was simple, and the support team checked in frequently to make sure I wasn't having any problems.

Cons

There are a couple of areas for improvement. First, compared to software such as SimplePractice, the ability to format notes is very, very limited. Also along those lines, the documents you need (e.g., informed consents, intake forms, etc.), you generally have to go and find or make. SimplePractice gives you tons of forms and powerful abilities to change your forms to your needs. That being said, the format for progress notes in TherapyNotes is quite good, and I haven't wanted to change it. So, the lack of feature doesn't bother me. The other issue is that the user interface seems designed for someone other than me. Every click you need to make is labeled, and so if I take my time and read everything on the screen, I know where to click. But, if I'm operating at high speed and/or focused on clients instead of software, I often misclick until I focus on the task at hand.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Price I'm in a group practice that already uses Simple Practice. With SP, I would have had zero learning curve and hey, SP works too, right? But the folks at SP were absolutely unwilling to consider the reason I needed to use their software, and wanted $50/mo for me to provide pro-bono services to our military families.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

The folks at Simple Practice were unwilling to accommodate my request for a lower price as I am using the software for only a single client at a time - a client I see on a pro-bono basis. If part of your buying criteria is the pro-social orientation of the provider, TherapyNotes gets the clear nod.

Susan from Dynamic Psychotherapy Associates, LLC

Deal Breaker - PCI Compliance

I learned November and December, by calling support twice, that PCI Compliance was no longer required and to "ignore" the emails I was getting to renew it. In February, when I was warned of a charge pending for lack of compliance, I called Therapy Notes. They then told me it WAS required. They had not notified me (or anyone) of any change but said that the emails that previously told me to ignore WERE notification. They do keep documentation so they can review what I was told and when. The compliance isn't possible from my Apple computer, for reasons that are unclear, and I gather it can't be an ipad either. The compliance process takes up a block of time yearly, and while they offer to help by remotely accessing your desk top, doing so is questionably HIPAA compliant if you keep any client correspondence or notes on it. They say it takes five minutes but that hasn't been the case yet. Simple Practice and some of the other systems do not require all this.

Pros

It is easy to use except what I've written below

Cons

PCI Compliance. Yearly. They say it takes five minutes but it doesn't. Took me 3-4 hours last year. Other software does not require. Service has declined in the last year.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

uh? my suggestion: don't.

Gelsie from Wyndhurst Counseling Center

Industry: Mental Health Care

My general experience with Therapynotes has been good. The program is versatile, efficient and very

This is a very good software that deals with most all of my company's needs in a user-friendly format with very good customer service.

Pros

My pros for Therapynotes are: user-friendly for staff and clinicians; different degrees of accessibility for users as set up by the administrator; most of the office's working can be assess in Therapynotes (such as patient reminders, different levels of accounting, and patient files); good availability to the company for support which has been friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt; easy insurance billing, quick and efficient remit processing, easy entry and manageability of insurance companies, CPT codes, and other billing codes; patient progress notes are in a usable and a nicely tailored format for mental health usage, and diagnoses are generated when you begin to type it in versus having to know the ICD 10 codes.

Cons

My cons are: would like a better querying system or means of searching patient information quickly and easily, sometimes the system runs slowly or seemingly gets bogged down for several hours.

Al from Allen Levy PhD LCSW PC

TherapyNotes.com

Therapy Notes, after I have tried many other versions of therapist practice billing softwares is hands down the number one software billing program in my book. As a PhD psychotherapist in private practice since 1977 in Manhattan and Westport CT and supervisor of private practice clinicians since 1984, I highly recommend Therapy Notes for all your Private Practice Psychotherapist needs!

Pros

Excellent software for billing and staying HIPPAA compliant while doing so. It guarantees that before you bill, all your necessary notes and compliances are in complete order.This software is a must for the Professional Therapist who has a new or established practice, especially if you have been in provate practice for many years already

Cons

It takes a few minutes to fill out the necessary HIPPAA compliant notes before you can bill. This can be burdensome when you are seeing more than 25 patients a week. However, it only takes 5 minutes or less to fill out each standard session note. The initial intake note and treatment plan for a new person you are seeing can take as much as 15 minutes to fill out once you are acquainted with it.

Awesome In Every Way

Mary from Insight Counseling Services

The BEST EMR for Mental Health Practices

I have always had a good experience with any of the support team members that I have interacted with. Therapy Notes is the best "one stop shop" for Mental Health EMR!

Pros

This software is so logical and easy to use. If you have ever tried other mental health EMR programs, you will see just how awesome Therapy Notes is. Everything you need to run a practice in one place.

Cons

I wish it had a integrated check-in so clients could check in via iPad and the therapist would be alerted via text that their next client had arrived.

It was AWFUL!!!!

John from Inkblots Counseling

Always looking out for the provider

Pros

There's a lot to like. Unlike the EHR at my previous agency, TherapyNotes.com speaks actual psychologist lingo and seems to include nothing unnecessary. Lately, they've provided free one-credit continuing education courses about ethics, attachment, mindfulness, and other relevant topics. I queried whether they could seek APA-accreditation for the CEU's (in addition to the already-in-place NBCC-accreditation) in order to meet my state's requirements, and customer service replied that they *already* have an application submitted with APA. I've requested that with other CEU providers in the past and have gotten a negative response...so I'm especially thankful for TherapyNotes.com!

Cons

Over the last two years, there are a few tweaks I have suggested to customer service for the program to better meet my needs (and probably the needs of many others) in terms of functionality. I haven't seen any of my suggestions implemented yet.

Practice Management Made Easy

Using TherapyNotes.com allows me to confidently run my business, especially since I handle billing, scheduling, and documentation, in addition to providing the service. Thanks TherapyNotes!

Pros

I most appreciate the organization the software provides. From running revenue reports to scheduling patient appointments, it keeps my time on the computer minimal and efficient. Customer Support has also been helpful on a number of occasions when I've called in to ask questions or get directions on performing a specific task.

Cons

In the two plus years I've been using TherapyNotes, the system has shut down a total of two times (that I can remember). Even though it was inconvenient at the time, I was impressed with the communication from the company to its users and their efforts to get things back up and running. This is why I decided to continue using the software. Their response to system glitches (which are extremely rare) is prompt and always involves an email or message from their Facebook page.

Overall TherapyNotes is a great program for solo and small providers who are needing a EHR program.

Pros

TherapyNotes is a great program for small providers who are needing to move to EHR/EMD. The interface is easy to follow, and the support team is easy to work with and great in resolving issues. I have recommended this platform to numerous peers and colleagues in the Mental Health Counseling or Psychotherapy fields.

Cons

Things I wish it had, like some of the larger software programs are: 1. Dashboard view for Supervisors and Administrators to notify them of any documentation that may be nearing required time frames for submission, and of any upcoming treatment plans, etc. 2. The ability to modify documentation templates to meet the specific need of the provider. 3. The ability to have billing modifiers automatically generate with a service claim, as currently you have to enter these prior to billing for each claim being submitted. In my small Outpatient practice, all users have a "HO" modifier that has to be added to every service claim. It would be nice if the TherapyNotes program implemented a process that would generate that code based on the professional providing the service. These three items are personal "wants", but considering the cost and ease of use, they are minor compared to the great product that is being delivered by TherapyNotes.