Restrict Content Pro Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2022

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"I find this software easy to use, and since it's been several years using it, I feel very comfortable with it and know it well."
  • icon"Integration with Stripe was very straightforward and easy. Setting up custom emails for successful registration/subscription/cancellation and so on are very simple."
  • icon"Seamless integration and overall ease of being able to manage the users and the different levels of membership."
  • icon"I also was not able to get the page restriction working on my website and had to use shortcodes instead. This is due to using Oxygen Builder."
  • icon"Your site directed me to add a cache exception for my login page. I was charged a service fee by my website host to have the URL added to the exception list and it still did not work."
  • icon"Just a terrible overall experience and product. Also, there is no phone support at all."

Have you used Restrict Content Pro and would like to share your experience with others?

All Restrict Content Pro Reviews

Customers love it

Have very few problems, any support of dealt with swiftly and professionally... Would highly recommend as it such a great thing to have in your arsenal.

Pros

Once you get to know how to use it, it's so powerful and adaptable.

Cons

The learning curve, but it's not as hard as you think.

Response from Sandhills Development

Thanks for the feedback! We are definitely working on new ways to make the experience easier.

Anthony

The "Air Traffic Control App" of Content Lockers and Membership Access for Wordpress

RCPs best feature is their support. This is not initially a selling point, as most compare features. But their support is outstanding, which is important when you are relying on a plugin to capture revenue for a site.

Pros

The software that Air traffic controllers use to track and route flights HAS to work. Likewise, Restrict Content Pro software is robust. It just works. Every time. All the time

Cons

RCP works because it limits itself to core features vs "bells and whistles." This can be annoying when it comes to features like social login, and a slick UI (which require a somewhat clunky 3rd party integration). that being said, the sites I have RCP running on, run, and run, and run. They require little maintenance and never break.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

I own and use these other products for a variety of other sites that have requirements for "fancier" features (and the resulting increase in upkeep/maintenance that goes along with that). That being said, RCP is the plugin that I go to when I NEED a site to work with little to no hand-holding or admin oversight.

Response from Sandhills Development

Hi Anthony, thanks for writing a review. We typically stick to strengthening our core features to keep it lean. As you know this means that RCP won't be the perfect fit for all use cases. We greatly appreciate your constructive feedback and are quite proud that our support team has been able to help you along your journey! However, it seems that your team's experience in a variety of sites reflects that RCP is not 100% suitable for all use cases and this is true.

Henk

Very well worth the money, but does need some improvements for professional use.

The response time of the help desk is very good. Often the same day or the next day. This is way better than my experience with WooCommerce. They easily let me wait 14 days before I am worth their time to answer. I'm not always very happy with their answers, but I must respect their position.

Pros

The option of group memberships is important for our business model. Installation is easy, settings and features are abundant.

Cons

The PayPal API keys are plainly visible to any admin. Other plugin developers regularly ask admin access to help solve a problem. I hesitate to grant them admin access because if I grant access to the wrong person, I may end up with an empty PayPal account. It regularly misses a PayPal payment, after which the member receives an email that their membership has ended. This leads to unnecessary communication and manual follow up to solve the issues. Customers are not able to add personal and company information for on the invoices. This makes the software utterly useless for professional use, as the invoices don't legally qualify in any country around the world. Now I need to manually prepare legally qualifying invoices to any member who asks for this. The ugly black buttons don't respond to the theme styling. I want to use another login page than the RCP login page, but RCP needs to have its shortcode on the login page to be able to force the visitor to this page. I need to jump through hoops to get what I need. If I set a membership to behave as a one-time purchase that ends after a fixed period, the system still extends the membership. I can probably find a couple more issues, but I leave it at this for now.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

We need Group Memberships for our business model, where one admin purchases the Group Membership and can add or delete participants. I have compared the functionality of about ten products and found only two WordPress plugins that have this functionality. WooCommerce and Restrict Content Pro. The helpdesk of RCP had a way better response time than WooCommerce. This is what made me decide to invest in RCP.

Response from Sandhills Development

Thanks for the detailed review Hank! We appreciate the feedback.

Tim

Industry: Online Media

I wouldn't use any other software

My overall experience is extremely positive. In fact, I just pointed another client to use RCP and out of the other 3 platforms they were looking at, they decided to use RCP for their website needs. I'm very happy with this product and the customer service is usually always quick to respond!

Pros

Mainly, I appreciate the purpose this software provides. I did a lot of research for other WordPress platforms and this one kept showing up. I even tested other platforms and RCP outranked the rest of those I tested in performing the areas of focus needed.

Cons

The only thing I like least is there's some areas that are not as customizable as others. For instance, the registration page. I wish there was a way to style this a bit differently as it looks very stale and formal. Maybe some day in the future, there will be different registration templates to choose from.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

Better options, better functionality, better review ratings.

Reasons for switching to Restrict Content Pro

Memberpress just didn't hold up or perform for what we needed.

Response from Sandhills Development

Hi Tim, thanks for the review and feedback! Glad to hear that we've been able to help you, as we take pride in our support.

Will

Industry: Music

Best plugin for setting up and running a membership/course site

I am a soloprenuer and was looking for a software to help me setup and run a membership/course site. I'm not a developer but I have experience with wordpress, so it was quite easy to setup and install. I had some issues at first with Stripe processing payments, but a quick email to support helped me troubleshoot the web hooks issue I had. Every time I've had a question or issue the support team has gotten back to me within 24 hours and has always had a solution. In fact once they offered to log into my site and correct the problem for me-which was a huge timesaver.

Pros

I love how "lightweight" this software is. If you're looking to create a course, but don't want quizzes and bunch of the overhead that comes with a full LMS, RCP is a great solution. It's really easy to set-up, I'm not a developer and was able to set everything up quickly and easily.

Cons

If I had to pick a con of the software it would be the way it handles upgrades during free trials. Right now if a user upgrade tiers during a free-trial they get charged right away for the new tier they upgraded to.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

I wanted a self-hosted solution that didn't charge me a monthly fee to run my business.

Response from Sandhills Development

Hi Will, thanks for writing a review. Thanks for explaining your use case and we're glad to hear that our support team has taken care of you. Your feedback is appreciated!

Alexander

Industry: Publishing

Best Membership Plug-in for Wordpress

Pros

Integration with Stripe was very straightforward and easy. Setting up custom emails for successful registration/subscription/cancellation and so on are very simple. The pricing is good, better than their competitors. Also, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that when I sent an email to support, they replied in MINUTES. That kind of great customer service is what makes RCP special.

Cons

I wish there were some more customizable pricing models. For instance, we wanted to charge a promo rate for 3 months and then raise it to normal rate, but there's not an easy way to do that. Also, we wanted to offer a free trial without requiring a credit card, but that wasn't made easy, either.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

Reviews, pricing, and features seemed to be superior.

Response from Sandhills Development

Hi Alexander, thanks for the review. Great suggestion on customizable pricing models. We appreciate your feedback.

Replied April 2020

Good product out of a slew of so-so competition

In the end it works mostly as designed. There are some issues with integration with Easy Digital Downloads which make it frustrating. But I like that it feels less like a constant up-sell to other products than competitor's products (Woo Commerce, cough cough).

Pros

This is one of the more comprehensive content restriction plugins for Wordpress. It offers a lot of features and a lot of functionality.

Cons

It is confusing and hard to use, especially for non-technical users. There are a LOT of steps to get things running and not a lot of good support for how to do things like set up payment gateways or manual payments. Also several features that seemed basic (like manual/pay by check) were not included, and when I asked for support for them, I was directed to build my own (I did) or pay them to build something for me.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

To avoid the constant up-sell and because RCP offered a single-payment option rather than an on-going subscription.

Reasons for switching to Restrict Content Pro

They were too expensive and didn't offer a one-time payment. We did not want a subscription, especially as we could not send the subscription bill to the client directly.

Response from Sandhills Development

Really appreciate the review and feedback Jennifer!

Sébastien

Solid and simple solution for membership websites

My overall experience with Restrict Content Pro was good.

Pros

I like the simple set up and the reliability of the software.

Cons

Some functions are not that easy to implement, and it lacks some control over elements that should be customisable. For example, we should be able to add/customise fields for invoices. There are other things I wish I could do with it, but I'm not going to list them all here.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

It started of course with some research online for the best solutions available. Our final choice was based on several key points: some solutions were offering too many options for what we were looking for, which would have probably translated into a heavy plugin. We tried some a few solutions and decided to go with Restrict Content Pro at the end. The price was also a deciding factor, we use it for a non-profit website and didn't want to be trapped into a yearly subscription. The fact that we could buy the ultimate solution was a good solution for us, we don't have to think about yearly payments and will have an updated and robust plugin as long as the site is alive.

Response from Sandhills Development

Hi Sebastien, thank you for the review. It looks like RCP is working for you for the most part. Feel free to reach out to our talented support team at any time. We appreciate your feedback!

Jordan

Great to put content behind a paywall

I am very satisfied.

Pros

Cons

I wish certain things could be more easily customized, such as the account pages and everything.

Response from Sandhills Development

Hi Jordan, thanks for the review. Your feedback is appreciated!

Jorge

Fácil y cómodo. Necesita algunas mejoras.

Buena

Pros

Fácil y rápido. Puedes gestionarlo fácilmente y tiene muchas vinculaciones con otros Plugins.

Cons

No puedes dar privilegios para que un usuario pueda acceder a varios planes de forma simultánea.

Recomendación.

Response from Sandhills Development

Excellent feedback Jorge! We're always working on making Restrict Content Pro better and this helps us do that.

J

Restrict Content- The SOLUTION!

We use Restrict Content Pro- in conjunction with Stripe- to manage our memberships to our subscription based website... we offer Monthly, Annual and Lifetime memberships- and discount codes to encourage enrollment- it works well- and we are very satistied!

Pros

We run a subscription based Website- that offers Premium video features for on line Education, Inspiration and Creativity- Restrict Content pro- provided the solutions we needed to engage our customers- and offer continued support and ongoing content delivery. There are options that allow for different levels of membership -and discount codes that have been extremely valuable to our audience. Restrict Content Pro offered the Solutions we needed- they are easy to work with and the result is very profitable!

Cons

I haven't found any challenges so far that we could not overcome. Our website is challenging and has had many transformations and updates... since we have used Restrict Content Pro- we have less challenges, problems and can spend our time creating content- rather than maintenance of the website site memberships!

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

It was suggested by my Team- and they are the Best... RCP was suggested as the best solution... I don't waste time with inferior products or second best...I went with the #1 Recommendation!

Reasons for switching to Restrict Content Pro

We had huge issues with Spreedly- and there was little to no support- Our Team found and recommended Restrict Content Pro- and it's worked like a dream!

Response from Sandhills Development

Wow! Thanks for the raving review. We're pleased to be able to help you so well. Your feedback is much appreciated. Let us know if you have any trouble, our support team is always here to help.

Regan

Non-tech blogger creating membership website.

I am happy with my purchase and hope they stay current and competitive with other membership plugins.

Pros

This software is powerful and as I explore it, I believe it will do everything I need and more. I can only hope that they will market more and have a bigger market presence so there will be more training available, both from within their company and through you tubers.

Cons

It’s a little over my head so I really have to work to figure things out sometimes. Also it probably works best to use Easy Digital Downloads with it, but I am not investing in that product right now. I use Woocommerce instead.

Lifetime license.

Reasons for switching to Restrict Content Pro

I bought a lifetime license and I believe in this product. I have also used Memberpress, but they don’t offer lifetime.

Response from Sandhills Development

Definitely appreciate the review Regan!

Taylor

Industry: Graphic Design

Good features - Decent Support

So i know there’s some generalized feedback here but that’s mostly just because I have done massive edits to the plugin to customize it to my needs, which is really smooth, since it’s so well-built. And since I’ve done so many tweaks and such, it’s hard to really review fairly based on all my edits. But that said, if you need a plugin that lets you control who see what on your site, you found it. Definitely recommend.

Pros

Importing from excel works really good (granted I made a lot of custom changes to the plugin) - The customer dashboard page is nice and everything runs smoothly. - I lovvvve the multisite, I think it’s so underestimated how powerful this plugin can be.

Cons

I don’t really have Alot of bad things to say about this plugin, it’s really a powerful plugin that’s quite capable for what’s its designed for. I guess if I had a complaint, it’d be the checkout process always takes forever to process (although I’m uncertain If it’s a stripe issue). - another complaint I’d have is the fact I couldn’t find a way to control what menu items are visible to logged in users vs public users, I’ve actually had to download a separate plugin just for that, which is sad.

Reasons for switching to Restrict Content Pro

UserMeta was a good start to this project, but it just couldn’t handle what I needed, after a short while, I quickly noticed it’s limits and it wasn’t made for what I was trying to do. - I’m glad I found RCP :)

Response from Sandhills Development

Thank you for the recommendation Taylor!

Best WordPress Membership Software

Pros

It is complete. It really has everything you need to run a full membership site. You won't have to looking for another plugin to fill a need. It's also very intuitive, which makes it easy to get started and maintain a growing membership site.

Cons

While it has everything you need, several of the additional components are add-ons and sometimes cost more money, but it's really annoying to have to install a new plugin when you want to use a certain feature.

Reasons for choosing Restrict Content Pro

I could host it on my site, have full control, and because it was the most complete solution of the other WP plugins we considered.

Marcus

Best membership plugin going!

RCP adds a lot of professionalism to our family archive website. It legitimizes and justifies our charging members a nominal fee to join.

Pros

The Stripe payment onboarding is just out of this world. We tried to implement a competing membership plugin and it failed miserably because of its Stripe payment gateway. No matter we did we couldn't