• Pros

• "I really appreciated the ease of use and the wonderful customer support."

• "Easy to install and start using. Love the different add-ons!!"

• "It was easy to set up A good amount of options The directions were clear support was available and help was easy to follow"

• Cons

• "It's primitive and need customization for a login in portal. But the customer service knows their product well and has great solutions to your concerns. It's exactly what we need."

• "Haven't had any trouble yet. I really don't have any thoughts on this. "

• "I don't believe there is a simple way to "pause" memberships, but that may not be necessary to some people using this plugin."

Browse Restrict Content Pro Reviews

Customers love it

Have very few problems, any support of dealt with swiftly and professionally... Would highly recommend as it such a great thing to have in your arsenal.

Pros

Once you get to know how to use it, it's so powerful and adaptable.

Cons

The learning curve, but it's not as hard as you think.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Thanks for the feedback! We are definitely working on new ways to make the experience easier.

Anthony from Media Production

The "Air Traffic Control App" of Content Lockers and Membership Access for Wordpress

RCPs best feature is their support. This is not initially a selling point, as most compare features. But their support is outstanding, which is important when you are relying on a plugin to capture revenue for a site.

Pros

The software that Air traffic controllers use to track and route flights HAS to work. Likewise, Restrict Content Pro software is robust. It just works. Every time. All the time

Cons

RCP works because it limits itself to core features vs "bells and whistles." This can be annoying when it comes to features like social login, and a slick UI (which require a somewhat clunky 3rd party integration). that being said, the sites I have RCP running on, run, and run, and run. They require little maintenance and never break.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

I own and use these other products for a variety of other sites that have requirements for "fancier" features (and the resulting increase in upkeep/maintenance that goes along with that). That being said, RCP is the plugin that I go to when I NEED a site to work with little to no hand-holding or admin oversight.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Anthony, thanks for writing a review. We typically stick to strengthening our core features to keep it lean. As you know this means that RCP won't be the perfect fit for all use cases. We greatly appreciate your constructive feedback and are quite proud that our support team has been able to help you along your journey! However, it seems that your team's experience in a variety of sites reflects that RCP is not 100% suitable for all use cases and this is true.

Henk from Trouble Maker

Very well worth the money, but does need some improvements for professional use.

The response time of the help desk is very good. Often the same day or the next day. This is way better than my experience with WooCommerce. They easily let me wait 14 days before I am worth their time to answer. I'm not always very happy with their answers, but I must respect their position.

Pros

The option of group memberships is important for our business model. Installation is easy, settings and features are abundant.

Cons

The PayPal API keys are plainly visible to any admin. Other plugin developers regularly ask admin access to help solve a problem. I hesitate to grant them admin access because if I grant access to the wrong person, I may end up with an empty PayPal account. It regularly misses a PayPal payment, after which the member receives an email that their membership has ended. This leads to unnecessary communication and manual follow up to solve the issues. Customers are not able to add personal and company information for on the invoices. This makes the software utterly useless for professional use, as the invoices don't legally qualify in any country around the world. Now I need to manually prepare legally qualifying invoices to any member who asks for this. The ugly black buttons don't respond to the theme styling. I want to use another login page than the RCP login page, but RCP needs to have its shortcode on the login page to be able to force the visitor to this page. I need to jump through hoops to get what I need. If I set a membership to behave as a one-time purchase that ends after a fixed period, the system still extends the membership. I can probably find a couple more issues, but I leave it at this for now.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

We need Group Memberships for our business model, where one admin purchases the Group Membership and can add or delete participants. I have compared the functionality of about ten products and found only two WordPress plugins that have this functionality. WooCommerce and Restrict Content Pro. The helpdesk of RCP had a way better response time than WooCommerce. This is what made me decide to invest in RCP.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Thanks for the detailed review Hank! We appreciate the feedback.

Tim from Lookwhoo LLC

Industry: Online Media

I wouldn't use any other software

My overall experience is extremely positive. In fact, I just pointed another client to use RCP and out of the other 3 platforms they were looking at, they decided to use RCP for their website needs. I'm very happy with this product and the customer service is usually always quick to respond!

Pros

Mainly, I appreciate the purpose this software provides. I did a lot of research for other WordPress platforms and this one kept showing up. I even tested other platforms and RCP outranked the rest of those I tested in performing the areas of focus needed.

Cons

The only thing I like least is there's some areas that are not as customizable as others. For instance, the registration page. I wish there was a way to style this a bit differently as it looks very stale and formal. Maybe some day in the future, there will be different registration templates to choose from.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

Better options, better functionality, better review ratings.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

Memberpress just didn't hold up or perform for what we needed.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Tim, thanks for the review and feedback! Glad to hear that we've been able to help you, as we take pride in our support.

Will from From Studio to Stage

Industry: Music

Best plugin for setting up and running a membership/course site

I am a soloprenuer and was looking for a software to help me setup and run a membership/course site. I'm not a developer but I have experience with wordpress, so it was quite easy to setup and install. I had some issues at first with Stripe processing payments, but a quick email to support helped me troubleshoot the web hooks issue I had. Every time I've had a question or issue the support team has gotten back to me within 24 hours and has always had a solution. In fact once they offered to log into my site and correct the problem for me-which was a huge timesaver.

Pros

I love how "lightweight" this software is. If you're looking to create a course, but don't want quizzes and bunch of the overhead that comes with a full LMS, RCP is a great solution. It's really easy to set-up, I'm not a developer and was able to set everything up quickly and easily.

Cons

If I had to pick a con of the software it would be the way it handles upgrades during free trials. Right now if a user upgrade tiers during a free-trial they get charged right away for the new tier they upgraded to.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

I wanted a self-hosted solution that didn't charge me a monthly fee to run my business.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Will, thanks for writing a review. Thanks for explaining your use case and we're glad to hear that our support team has taken care of you. Your feedback is appreciated!

Alexander from BDC Reporter

Industry: Publishing

Best Membership Plug-in for Wordpress

Pros

Integration with Stripe was very straightforward and easy. Setting up custom emails for successful registration/subscription/cancellation and so on are very simple. The pricing is good, better than their competitors. Also, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that when I sent an email to support, they replied in MINUTES. That kind of great customer service is what makes RCP special.

Cons

I wish there were some more customizable pricing models. For instance, we wanted to charge a promo rate for 3 months and then raise it to normal rate, but there's not an easy way to do that. Also, we wanted to offer a free trial without requiring a credit card, but that wasn't made easy, either.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

Reviews, pricing, and features seemed to be superior.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Alexander, thanks for the review. Great suggestion on customizable pricing models. We appreciate your feedback.

Jennifer from Meridian Stories

Good product out of a slew of so-so competition

In the end it works mostly as designed. There are some issues with integration with Easy Digital Downloads which make it frustrating. But I like that it feels less like a constant up-sell to other products than competitor's products (Woo Commerce, cough cough).

Pros

This is one of the more comprehensive content restriction plugins for Wordpress. It offers a lot of features and a lot of functionality.

Cons

It is confusing and hard to use, especially for non-technical users. There are a LOT of steps to get things running and not a lot of good support for how to do things like set up payment gateways or manual payments. Also several features that seemed basic (like manual/pay by check) were not included, and when I asked for support for them, I was directed to build my own (I did) or pay them to build something for me.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

To avoid the constant up-sell and because RCP offered a single-payment option rather than an on-going subscription.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

They were too expensive and didn't offer a one-time payment. We did not want a subscription, especially as we could not send the subscription bill to the client directly.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Really appreciate the review and feedback Jennifer!

Jorge from Widevents

Fácil y cómodo. Necesita algunas mejoras.

Buena

Pros

Fácil y rápido. Puedes gestionarlo fácilmente y tiene muchas vinculaciones con otros Plugins.

Cons

No puedes dar privilegios para que un usuario pueda acceder a varios planes de forma simultánea.

Recomendación.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Excellent feedback Jorge! We're always working on making Restrict Content Pro better and this helps us do that.

Sébastien from Seb Thiroux Studio

Solid and simple solution for membership websites

My overall experience with Restrict Content Pro was good.

Pros

I like the simple set up and the reliability of the software.

Cons

Some functions are not that easy to implement, and it lacks some control over elements that should be customisable. For example, we should be able to add/customise fields for invoices. There are other things I wish I could do with it, but I'm not going to list them all here.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

It started of course with some research online for the best solutions available. Our final choice was based on several key points: some solutions were offering too many options for what we were looking for, which would have probably translated into a heavy plugin. We tried some a few solutions and decided to go with Restrict Content Pro at the end. The price was also a deciding factor, we use it for a non-profit website and didn't want to be trapped into a yearly subscription. The fact that we could buy the ultimate solution was a good solution for us, we don't have to think about yearly payments and will have an updated and robust plugin as long as the site is alive.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Sebastien, thank you for the review. It looks like RCP is working for you for the most part. Feel free to reach out to our talented support team at any time. We appreciate your feedback!

Jordan from The Jellison Group

Great to put content behind a paywall

I am very satisfied.

Pros

Seamless integration and overall ease of being able to manage the users and the different levels of membership.

Cons

I wish certain things could be more easily customized, such as the account pages and everything.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Jordan, thanks for the review. Your feedback is appreciated!

J from J SCHWANKE PRODUCTIONS

Restrict Content- The SOLUTION!

We use Restrict Content Pro- in conjunction with Stripe- to manage our memberships to our subscription based website... we offer Monthly, Annual and Lifetime memberships- and discount codes to encourage enrollment- it works well- and we are very satistied!

Pros

We run a subscription based Website- that offers Premium video features for on line Education, Inspiration and Creativity- Restrict Content pro- provided the solutions we needed to engage our customers- and offer continued support and ongoing content delivery. There are options that allow for different levels of membership -and discount codes that have been extremely valuable to our audience. Restrict Content Pro offered the Solutions we needed- they are easy to work with and the result is very profitable!

Cons

I haven't found any challenges so far that we could not overcome. Our website is challenging and has had many transformations and updates... since we have used Restrict Content Pro- we have less challenges, problems and can spend our time creating content- rather than maintenance of the website site memberships!

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

It was suggested by my Team- and they are the Best... RCP was suggested as the best solution... I don't waste time with inferior products or second best...I went with the #1 Recommendation!

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

We had huge issues with Spreedly- and there was little to no support- Our Team found and recommended Restrict Content Pro- and it's worked like a dream!

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Wow! Thanks for the raving review. We're pleased to be able to help you so well. Your feedback is much appreciated. Let us know if you have any trouble, our support team is always here to help.

Regan from Self Employed

Non-tech blogger creating membership website.

I am happy with my purchase and hope they stay current and competitive with other membership plugins.

Pros

This software is powerful and as I explore it, I believe it will do everything I need and more. I can only hope that they will market more and have a bigger market presence so there will be more training available, both from within their company and through you tubers.

Cons

It’s a little over my head so I really have to work to figure things out sometimes. Also it probably works best to use Easy Digital Downloads with it, but I am not investing in that product right now. I use Woocommerce instead.

Lifetime license.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

I bought a lifetime license and I believe in this product. I have also used Memberpress, but they don’t offer lifetime.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Definitely appreciate the review Regan!

Taylor from TAILORBUILT LLC

Industry: Graphic Design

Good features - Decent Support

So i know there’s some generalized feedback here but that’s mostly just because I have done massive edits to the plugin to customize it to my needs, which is really smooth, since it’s so well-built. And since I’ve done so many tweaks and such, it’s hard to really review fairly based on all my edits. But that said, if you need a plugin that lets you control who see what on your site, you found it. Definitely recommend.

Pros

Importing from excel works really good (granted I made a lot of custom changes to the plugin) - The customer dashboard page is nice and everything runs smoothly. - I lovvvve the multisite, I think it’s so underestimated how powerful this plugin can be.

Cons

I don’t really have Alot of bad things to say about this plugin, it’s really a powerful plugin that’s quite capable for what’s its designed for. I guess if I had a complaint, it’d be the checkout process always takes forever to process (although I’m uncertain If it’s a stripe issue). - another complaint I’d have is the fact I couldn’t find a way to control what menu items are visible to logged in users vs public users, I’ve actually had to download a separate plugin just for that, which is sad.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

UserMeta was a good start to this project, but it just couldn’t handle what I needed, after a short while, I quickly noticed it’s limits and it wasn’t made for what I was trying to do. - I’m glad I found RCP :)

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Thank you for the recommendation Taylor!

Marcus from Tibesar Family Archives

Best membership plugin going!

RCP adds a lot of professionalism to our family archive website. It legitimizes and justifies our charging members a nominal fee to join.

Pros

The Stripe payment onboarding is just out of this world. We tried to implement a competing membership plugin and it failed miserably because of its Stripe payment gateway. No matter we did we couldn't get the Stripe payments to work. The RCP Stripe payment onboarding process was the Easy Button! So nice!

Cons

Would like an Add-on for adding members photos when registering and displaying the members' photos and information on a members page

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] said it was a Great product, and he authored several great reviews of RCP! The lifetime price was fair and highly recommended by Chris. We were so impressed with the documentation and the implementation of RCP, we went all in and purchased the lifetime license. Add-ons are growing and RCP updates are consistent. That indicates the Pippin team is paying attention to this product and it's an important product in their portfolio. RCP is a critical plugin within our Family Archive.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

ArMember terribe support; Stripe payment gateway not working; overly complex and bloated

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Marcus, thanks for the review. Your success is very encouraging and we'll continue to assist you along the way! Let us know if you ever need any help and of course, we appreciate your constructive feedback.

David from The Oxford Review

Industry: Publishing

The backbone of my business

Excellent -

Pros

Without doubt RCP is the backbone of my membership business. The main feature I love is the ability to have both individual memberships and organisational or group memberships. Setting up the payments etc was really easy as is managing the site and the business.

Cons

Not much. It does what it says on the tin.

The group thing

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

Better membership system and way fewer plugins!

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Very nice review David, we really appreciate it!

Mark from JoTuffrey.co

It runs my business flawlessly

I love it and couldn't run my business without it! Today we had 80 customers sign up (it was a good day). Not a single support request saying something didn't work. I love that.

Pros

Love the flexibility it offers when building a course. I looked at the SaaS course providers and they were way too limited for my needs. RCP has allowed me to offer a completely flexible service and customers love it.

Cons

My only criticism is the limited layout of sign up forms... they could potentially add easier options for styling and customisation. I've had to bring in a dev to code these. Responsive layout has been a critical part of what I've been doing.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

I evaluated about 10 options and no others offered the flexibility and customisation options.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hey Mark! Thanks for the review. We're so glad to hear that RCP has been a solid solution for you. And 80 new signups in a single day?! Congrats! We look forward to bringing you great features.

Michael from Price Action L:ab Blog

RCP: An excellent product for premium content creators.

I could operate my business without RCP but it would be a more complex task. This software has removed this burden so I can focus on content. It has helped to increase productivity a lot.

Pros

Frequent addition of features, especially the newer capability of allowing multiple memberships for customers has elevated RCP to top choice in my opinion. Support is very good.

Cons

A new feature such as ability to email directly members based on subscription levels would greatly enhance this product and eliminate the need of relying on third-party software. Even as an add-on I would be happy to purchase.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Michael, thanks for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback and note the feature request. And obviously, we're pleased to hear that our solution has increased your productivity!

Ingrid from Penguin Designing

Super flexible and easy to use

It's perfect for my own memberships and my client's memberships. Super simple to use and to teach my clients how to keep using it.

Pros

Easy to install and start using. Love the different add-ons!!

Cons

Missing a couple of integrations (like being able to use Woocommerce to sell a membership and get it auto-assigned), or unique sign up links to keep them safe, Zapier... But over all nothing that can deter me from using it.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

RCP has my most needed features but really the fact there was a lifetime option was the winner for me as it made trust in the product and how much they support it.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

The lack of features and the fact that everything was a workaround. RCP has it all in one place with all the Add-Ons

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Ingred, thanks for the review. We agree, the Lifetime option is a great deal and we truly take pride in our support. We appreciate all of your feedback!

Elaine from Florida Yoga Teachers Association

Great Membership Plugin

Yes, it makes our lives so much easier managing a membership directory. We can see how many members we have, whether they have expired, their status, when they paid, what they paid, etc. This not only helps us, it also helps when members have a question - we can easily answer it most of the time so it's not a nightmare.

Pros

I find this software easy to use, and since it's been several years using it, I feel very comfortable with it and know it well. It does what we need, managing subscribers, and is not a bloated or complicated package.

Cons

The software has been improved quite a bit over the years, so if I had to say anything, it's that there are continuous improvements and I am not always up on what the latest change is, and RCP is not always great about communicating what those improvements are.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

I based my decision on a great review by Rob Nue who described the clean code base and simple interface, compared to other Membership Plugins.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Elaine, thank you for writing such a thorough review. We appreciate all of your feedback and we'll do better at letting you know when we push the latest features!

Carolyn from Digital by Design, Inc.

Great for subscription sites that use group and single subscriptions.

This has been a great program with keeping track of group memberships and single memberships. There were some technical difficulties at first since I was going from completely different platforms. The creators have been working very hard to update and add new features and it has improved tremendously over the years.

Pros

I picked this software because it included options for both single and group memberships.

Cons

It was a little difficult to set up, but I didn't have much experience with this platform. The software has been much improved from when I first started using it.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

I chose this plan software because it had good reviews and included group subscriptions.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

More security and need to update to a new platform.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Carolyn, thanks for the review. We appreciate the feedback! We look forward to bringing your powerful features in the future. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to our awesome support team!

Dan from Vagabond Buddha

Does exactly what I need--digital products membership

Makes me money every day. Protects my digital products with very little thinking on my parts.

Pros

Easy to set up, no debugging necessary. Just load and label digital assets. Products accessible based upon membership purchased. Set limits by number month or unlimited based upon recurring monthly price or one time fee. Just upload the digital assets after that and nothing else to do. Just forget about it after that.

Cons

Haven't had any trouble yet. I really don't have any thoughts on this.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

the other required too much maintenance and things to remember. and didn't let me do wat I wanted.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

somebody I found online told me how much better it is.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied June 2020

Hey Dan, thanks for writing a review. It sounds like RCP is working great for you! Please let us know if you have any questions or need any help. Our support team is always available!

Robert from Health, Wellness & Fitness

Grateful for this "Gate Keeper"

This has been a very comfortable yet productive experience

Pros

I really appreciated the ease of use and the wonderful customer support.

Cons

That I don't fully understand all the features so that I can use it to it's fullest.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

Price, availability, recommendations from a forum, ease of use and my lack of experience.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Robert, thanks for the review. We appreciate the feedback. On our website we have a list of Official and Pro level add-ons. The description of each add-on could suggest possible use cases for you. Maybe try starting there and ask support if that'd be a reasonable use case for your site.

Steven from ArtLink Models

Industry: Photography

Restrict Content Pro is my choice for our membership site

Have been using this software from the begining and it works great.

Pros

We use this for our membership site. Easy to use and very easy to keep updated. Updates are automatic. Have used this with several different themes over a few years and has worked great. Have not had much need for support but they have been able to help when needed.

Cons

Not much to say here I started with this software, So I can't really compare it to any other but it dose exactly what I need it to do and is easy to use

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Steven, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback!

Kenny from Tuning Culture

Ticks all the boxes!

Worked really well with our WordPress website which includes forum, online shop etc

Pros

We looked at builfing a custom solution however from research Restrict Content Pro did exactly what we needed so worked out cheaper and saved us time.

Cons

Ongoing cost every year. Good if there was a lifetime subscription

Quicker and cheaper

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Kenny, thank you for your review. There is a Lifetime license and there always has been! Shoot us an email and we'll get you a discount!

Barrett from Blueprint Automation

Industry: Industrial Automation

Great value and easy to set up!

Very good!

Pros

In my opinion, the best part of Restrict Content Pro was that it was very simple to set up and customize. Additionally, it was cheaper than most of it's competitors, which is always good.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

Price was the key factor, but I also found an blog outlining exactly what I needed to do on my website and it suggested Restrict Content Pro.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Barrett, thanks for the review. We appreciate the feedback! Feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any questions.

Simon from RiverTree Ltd.

Enabled me to easily create a membership site

I've been pleased with the product, as well as with the support I've received when asking questions about a problem I encountered. The customer support solved my issue fully and swiftly.

Pros

I love the ability to easily create a variety of membership levels as well as different discount codes. I also love the variety of add-ons that give additional functionality.

Cons

The creators of Restrict Content Pro seem to have thought have most things - I don't have any problems with it!

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Simon, thanks for the review. We take pride on our support and we're happy that we've been able to help you!

Nathaniel from Boost2Business Marketing

Powerful but...You'll want access to a developer/web expert

We've used this for a few client projects. Both of them were pretty straight forward problems but we were using themes with a lot of dynamic content types, custom post types, custom taxonomies, etc. It is difficult to work with custom post types as they do not always act as expected. You'll need the help of a developer to overcome some challenges. But, once it is set up, it is great. Stable, non-resource heavy, and updated regularly.

Pros

-Lots of features and add-ons available -Quick initial setup -Good price if buying a life time package.

Cons

-Can not assign multiple memberships to a single user. -Weird integration with WP user system & signup process -Complicated to make work with Custom Post Types & Dynamic themes -Difficulty in customizing it

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Nathaniel, thanks for the thoroughness of your review. We appreciate your feedback!

Patricia from The Fiery Well, LLC

Up and running quickly

Love it. Highly recommend it for clients and colleagues.

Pros

On a fresh install, you are up and running with a simple membership site very quickly. Easy for end users to use, and easy to, well, restrict content, on the site.

Cons

I have an edge case membership site, so I need more customization than most.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Patricia, thanks for the review! Glad to hear that your site was up and running quickly. We're also not surprised that you needed a bit of custom development. Restrict Content Pro runs a bit leaner and focuses on power features rather than polished details. This allows us to provide powerful tools to a greater range of membership sites! If you happen to have any questions, we have a superb support staff that would be happy to help!

Mike from AmKor Karate of Coatesville

Great value for a member / subscription plugin

I am happy with the overall experience and do not regret this purchase at all.

Pros

With the virus, we were forced to operate online classes with Zoom. I use RCP on my business website to allow members access to log in, subscribe to monthly dues, and access our live classes. With a little bit of formatting and some customization, I was able to get up and running in a couple of hours. I really like the lifetime option for RCP.

Cons

There are a couple special case features that I would like to see, but I'm sure I am a minority. I also was not able to get the page restriction working on my website and had to use shortcodes instead. This is due to using Oxygen Builder. Not a huge problem, but created extra work.

Lifetime Option

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Mike, thank for the review. We're glad that we could be a solution for you in a pinch. While it is unfortunate that the virus has forced you to change we are proud to be an option under such conditions. If you ever have any questions or need help find us at our website!

Bill from Catapult Creative

A membership plugin that just works

The number of websites out there that can benefit from having some information hidden from most users is a lot larger than I initially thought, and RCP helps us easily make that happen.

Pros

More than anything else, I liked that Restrict Content Pro works so fluidly out of the box. There are all sorts of settings and customizations that you can use, but none of it is required. In fact, despite using RCP on multiple sites at this point, we have yet to hit a point where it won't do something we need it to do.

Cons

We had an issue with the first site we used RCP on where it did not smoothly integrate with some custom aspects of our site's theme, and it was difficult to pin down where the issue was. Short-lived issue, though, and it's been fine ever since.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Bill, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback!

Jan from Ilumio

Easy and reelable

It's working well and We use RCP as main subscriptions solution for more then 2 years

Pros

It is really easy to set-up at the beginning.

Cons

There was few issues with some updates. we needed help of support team to fix it.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Jan, thanks for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback!

Simon from Each Game As It Comes

Good option for membership sites

Very easy to use and make changes, been happy with the product so far.

Pros

Easy to set up and add new membership layers. Lots of options for additional functionality with pro add-ons (which are needed). Fair process to upgrade to higher price products.

Cons

Would be good to have the option for upsells which other competitors do offer.

Available functionality

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Simon, thank you for the review. We appreciate your feedback!

Brian from BrainCandi

Why I like, but don't love, Restrict Content Pro

I bought the Lifetime License so that I could quickly deploy for clients a membership option.

Pros

I loved that it handled the whole membership process from start to finish. It connected to major payment gateways. And it was fairly simple to understand.

Cons

Stylability. I use Oxygen so I am able to adjust CSS... but it would be nice to use Gutenberg Blocks and design each Form and Page that RCP uses. Then make them re-usable blocks (or shortcodes) anywhere. It's not very intuitive. It makes me think of Toolset. The power is there, but it's really only a couple of steps between creating my own from scratch and building things visually.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

The completeness of the plugin and the quality of the SandHill designers work.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

This is really helpful feedback Brian and we thank you for taking the time to share it.

Christian from Danish Business Council

Restrict Content Pro Review

Pros

Payment option

Cons

Need more add on's like Ultimate Members

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

Your options are better but... they have very cool add ons

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Christian, thanks for the review! We think you have some good ideas. Want to share some of the add-ons that you'd like to see?

Great Solution for Membership Sites on WordPress

Overall, I'm happy with the product and I'm pretty sure it's the best option at the moment out there.

Pros

Very easy to set up recurring subscriptions with Stripe and different membership levels. You can restrict access to posts, categories & pages, etc.

Cons

I still haven't figured it out yet but sometimes certain posts or pages won't be available to members even though the category and the page both say they should be available. Worked a workaround, but should just work. Also, there it's difficult to give a discount off a total price if you are breaking it up into a 2 pay or a 3 pay. Example: You have a $1500 product, and want to do a special of $500 off and split the payments in two. No way of doing that with a discount code. You have to make a special page for just the $1000 2 pay deal.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hey there, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback. We would recommend reaching out at support@restrictcontentpro.com with your specific issue.

Krystyna from Orphan Design Group

A Solution for Life

At first, I was concerned, but after connecting with customer services I am confident in the product for my clients.

Pros

The best part about Restrict Content Pro is you can own the software out-right, meaning no monthly subscription fees, or other weird structure. It's important that my clients have a product that works and doesn't keep asking for money, the more you ask for money the less they like a product regardless of how awesome it is. Absolutely love the I was able to buy it with no strings attached.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

I can't remember the competitors I looked at --- there were a lot --- but I picked restrict content pro because of the option to just buy the software without the entanglement of subscription fees.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Krystyna, thank you for the review. We understand that our product isn't always sparkling and polished. Hence your need for a bit of customization. But we do focus on building lean and powerful features and will continue to bring more of them to you. We take great pride in our support and look forward to honoring your Ultimate License for life! And as you know, we'll always be here to help you.

Nick from 3rd & Lamar

Webhooks with Stripe do not work

Really bad, just terrible customer service, no accountability from their team, and very little in the way of constructive communication.

Pros

It integrates with Wordpress pretty easily and has some out-of-the-box features that would be costly to develop ourselves.

Cons

When subscribers cancel on our website, the information isn't sent to Stripe, so the subscribers get charged repeatedly by Stripe even though they've already canceled. Then they dispute their payments and force chargebacks, which are super costly. When I brought this up to RCP, they said it was my fault for not installing the webhooks correctly. And they wouldn't cover the cost of the chargebacks. When I integrated the Stripe webhook, the issue kept happening. Then RCP (now iThemes) told me that we needed to upgrade the RCP plug-in to fix the issue. Again, no offer to credit our account or pay for the chargebacks from angry subscribers. Just a terrible overall experience and product. Also, there is no phone support at all. So you have to wait on emails even when it's an urgent matter with their product. So incredibly annoying. I'm looking to find an alternative now.

Rose from Chesterton Society

Needed too much customization

Pros

My favorite part of the RCP software is the payments page, where I could view the payment records and see their status.

Cons

For my company's purposes, RCP required too much customization, so we are in the process of migrating away from it. We felt that we had a fairly simple goal - keep track of subscribers and use RCP to give them access to exclusive content. Unfortunately, we ended up with thousands of lines of custom code and a finicky system.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Rose, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. As a company, we truly value your feedback and we're sorry to hear about your difficulties with our product. We were not able to find an account under your name so we're assuming that the license is associated with a company admin email. We'd like to see if your team has had any exchanges with our support team to try to resolve your difficulties. We understand and respect that your team has already decided to switch away from RCP. We are away that our software does not work for all use cases. Thanks for giving us a shot!

David from Rebuses.co

Industry: Online Media

Six Years Plus User

It's been great. I was a user when it was Pippin's plugins, and always had great experience with it.

Pros

It was easy to install and setup in WordPress. Settings were easy to understand and I was up and running in a few hours.

Cons

I had to install extra plugins like "math capture" which I would expected to be in with the plugin.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

It was first in the repository list.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Wow! David! Thank you for being a user for all of these years. We're honored that you've been your solution for so long.

Bruno from American Coatings Association

Industry: Environmental Services

Well thought out product

Pros

Cons

It integrated into our api to Salesforce and was successful It accomplished all of the requirements of our specifications document.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

The other product did not do all that was requested in our new design

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Bruno, thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that it's working for you.

Neil from Clockwork Moggy

Simple effective membership plugin

I custom coded a directory with the documentation from RCP. It works really well and we're all happy with the result.

Pros

It's really simple to setup and use which is the most important thing for something which could become difficult.

Cons

The only con was that it doesn't have an option to charge tax. Which is a pretty big thing that I suspect 90% of users would need. The companies I work with aren't large enough to warrant using Avalara but legally have to charge VAT. It's not ideal. The simplest thing would be to connect it to WooCommerce and allow customers to make payments through products as this would also include taxes.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

I thought it offered the most versatility of any membership plugin at the time. Actually thought you could set memberships up as a Woocommerce product but later found that I'd misread it and it only offers a coupon that members can use for discounts on woocommerce products.

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

The client had a bespoke system (no CMS) which was no longer fit for purpose.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Neil, thanks for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback!

Ibrahim from Road To UK LLC

A well-rounded membership plugin

Pros

The amount of flexibility and the extent of KB that is out there is amazing.

Cons

The learning curve for a non-coder can be a bit difficult as it doesn't come as flashy as other plugins.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Ibrahim, thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback!

Vicente from Pilates Consciente

My review

Pros

The instalation is easer than others plugins

Cons

You need know programation to change mor options

It is less mb

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Vicente, thank you for the review. We appreciate your feedback and wanted to let you know that we are always available if you have support issues.

Sarah from Website Department

The best WP membership plugin

We use this for several clients and really enjoy it. We’ve built our own plugins for it as well as using both free and pro add-ons made by RCP. Easy to design with/for. Actively developed.

Pros

This plugin is great. It is updated frequently and the features are really extensive. When I’ve needed to contact the developers, they’ve been great.

Cons

I just wish it could accept multi-currency payments.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

Best for features all round, intuitive to use

Reasons for Switching to Restrict Content Pro

Membership2 wasn’t being actively developed and didn’t have enough features.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Thank you so much for the kind words Sarah!

Mark from Blackline Branding

Restrict Content Pro is the best Restricted Content solution for Wordpress

I'm using it to restrict content that is for my clients on my own website. Installing and understanding RCP was simple and straightforward. I recommend it whenever I have an opportunity to.

Pros

I love that I can easily restrict content based on taxonomies across several different types on content. It was very easy to use this to make a custom client resources area on my wordpress website.

Cons

I can't identify anything I didn't like about it. It does exactly what I need it to do.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

Licensing was straightforward and offered exactly what I needed to easily implement this software with my own custom post types and third party plugins.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Mark, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback!

Rick from Fascinating Monsters

Advanced membership plugin for WordPress delivers...for a price

If you're setting up a membership site, selling online courses, or selling content on WordPress, Restrict Content Pro is one of two solutions you must evaluate. I can't see any flaws in the solution itself, only perhaps in its pricing.

Pros

Restrict Content Pro makes it very easy to set up a membership site and start selling subscriptions or to make individual one-off sales of your content, or a mix of both. If you're using WordPress, there are only a few professional options and I'd have to say that Restrict Content Pro sets the standard. Support is stellar.

Cons

Allowing content drip is an essential for membership sites, particularly sites that sell courses/tutorials, otherwise new subscribers can just download/view/use your content quickly and then cancel. Content drip is available only as an add-on for a premium price. Onboarding could be a lot better. As in, please provide some. Certainly it would decrease support questions.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Rick, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the rich feedback that you provided and it has been noted!

Karla from Soul Centric Collective

It was the number one pick and is serving us well

Pros

RCP is being used for a membership site. My engineering team has trusted the product for years. It was the number one pick and is serving us well.

Cons

I wish some of the premium add-one were integrated. I feel nickel and dimed.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Thanks so much for the review and feedback Karla!

Works well when integrated with the job manager

I have had a positive experience using the software.

Pros

The ease of integration to achieve content division, based on membership levels and roles within Wordpress.

Cons

I have not had any negative experiences with the software, since I solely purchased it to integrate with Job Manager and Role Manager. It is working as expected.

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

The integrations that I needed were available

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Thank you for the review. We appreciate your feedback!

Justin from Zimind Publishers (Pvt) Ltd

Industry: Newspapers

easy easy baby

Pros

ease of use ,and not complecated for nothing

Cons

not many features , lacks basic functionality like currency selection

Reasons for Choosing Restrict Content Pro

had a lifetime offer , thats all

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Hi Justin, thanks for the review. We appreciate the feedback!

Stephen from TEN56 Brand Development

Great product

This has been very useful for our website.

Pros

We use this for our online learning website, it works seamlessly to help us divide and setup sessions for users.

Cons

I can't think of any cons really, great product.

Response from Sandhills Development

Replied April 2020

Really appreciate the review Stephen!