All CounSol.com Reviews

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

March 2022

Great EHR for private practice!

Jessica

Been using for 6 years both as an individual and group

CounSol's customer service is amazing. My rep gets back with me same day, usually within minutes via phone or email. There are suggestions I have made that end up being implemented. They are always striving to improve features.

Pros

It is most helpful to reduce administrative tasks. Reminder phone calls, cards saved on file, filing and billing made easy, clients self scheduling, etc.

Cons

There are things I feel could be streamlined and also would like to see more variety in the reports that are available.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Cost and features (that weren't added as tack-on costs)

Amanda

May 2022

Excellent program and customer service!!!!

The program works amazingly, and I have referred several colleagues already, but the customer service is outstanding as well. I am certain you can find programs that do comparable things, but you will not find another program that has customer service like Counsol.com. I could not have done this on my own with the new learner curves I had just going out on my own in new practice without the help of Jonathan, my support person with Counsol.com. So, between the ease of the program, all the time this program saves me to actually enjoy my free time again as sole provider and owner of my practice and the absolute outstanding customer service, I highly recommend this program to anyone in field!

Pros

For someone who runs their own practice by themselves, this has made my job so much easier!!! It's like having a secretary without having one and has given me my free time back to actually enjoy my days off. The clients being able to schedule themselves and connecting my ERA's and Square one accounts is amazing. In just a few short clicks of the mouse, all my payments are registered, it's fantastic. As well as the clients being able to access the portal and enter all their own information makes setting up new clients so much easier!

Cons

Nothing, except I wish I would have started with this program versus having to transfer all my clients two years into my practice.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Customer Service was way better with Counsol.com and I like the ease of use better with Counsol.com

Reasons for switching to CounSol.com

Therabill was not user friendly for appointments, scheduling, paperwork etc. and it was also way overpriced for not being user friendly and somewhat archaic.

Angela

Time used: Free Trial

August 2015

Huge Potential, not quite there yet

First the pros: I chose Counsol.com after comparing and trying out similar services. I ultimately chose Counsol because of the fully integrated platform it offered (ability to process payments, online scheduler, secure video/chat platforms, etc.) Considering Counsol.com offers all these implements at HIPAA compliant levels made it a no-brainer for me. My clients repeatedly comment on the ease of use from their end, and are also appreciative of the convenience it affords them in terms of contacting the office (virtually) when it's easiest for them, and knowing those communications are secure. The option of requiring entry of a credit card to access the functionality of online scheduling for clients (most specifically new clients) would reduce "no shows" if that is an issue. Cons: the system often seems cumbersome on the practice end. It often seems to me there would be much easier (read streamlined) ways to accomplish many tasks. Additionally, while you can utilize attachments to send to your clients, there is no way for your client to return those to you electronically. Example: because my Intake forms are so specific, it makes far more sense for me to send them as an attachment to new clients for completion. As it currently stands, the client must then print them out and return a hard copy--basically defeating the purpose of an electronic medical record. There is an option to build "Forms", but again, that would be so labor intensive and could not actually replicate my current forms--which were crafted with purposeful specificity--that forms are not a feasible option. Even the ability to add forms via upload would be a huge improvement! This is less of a Con and more of a glitch: if clients want to utilize their HSA or FSA card for payment purposes, they cannot through this system. What I've been able to gather so far is that this is secondary to how Counsol is listed/appears on the back end as a product. Attempted transactions on Counsol.com are declined because Counsol appears as "software" or a software product, and since you can't use an HSA/FSA card to purchase software (or anything other than immediately identifiable health care costs), each transaction is declined. I have another payment method available while inside my office, but again, this largely defeats the purpose and keeps this platform from being fully and independently online operationally.

Katy

October 2022

Happy Customer!

I have been really happy with CounSol. I have felt supported and encouraged when I have reached out with questions. I think that it is a very good value.

Pros

I am not a tech savvy person, but I find this software to be much more intuitive than what I had been using previously.

Cons

I do think there could be more guidance and specific education regarding taking on billing for the first time, the role of CounSol and that of Office Ally. I am a complete beginner and felt lost at first. That said, I have been figuring it out and my account manager has been SO responsive. This is the main reason I chose CounSol, because their reputation for customer service. I knew I had a big learning curve.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Customer Service reviews were consistently the best:)

Reasons for switching to CounSol.com

I wanted to do the billing on my own and I hadn't been thrilled with Kareo's EHR.

Fantastic practice management

This system does almost everything required to manage my existing clients. It's very easy to use and I like being able to see the current day's schedule and monthly overview from the summary page. Sometimes I don't even take my computer to the office - I just use my iPad. I'm also very pleased with the mobile phone version of the website - it's especially convenient to send username reminders and password resets directly from my phone since I'm usually away from the computer when those requests come through.

Pros

It has a client portal, it's easy to use from both the client and administrator side. It includes scheduling, billing, secure communication, and recording keeping all in one place. The company is very responsive to user issues and suggestions for new functionality. The product keeps improving. It encourages good record keeping by showing icons or plus signs to indicate if there are treatment plans for clients and notes for completed sessions.

Cons

Creating new forms can be cumbersome but my account manager offered to upload my form data from the back-end so I just had to make minor adjustments. I wish that my clients could either upload documents or add attachments to mail messages within the portal. The announcement function (basically an email blast) sends an email to the client stating that they have a message in the portal. Since users get locked out if it's been 2-3 months since their last login, I get a barrage of password reset requests everything I send out an announcement. From the user perspective I think they would like to at least see the title of the message in the notification email, even if they have to log in to see the full message.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

I had been using FullSlate for online scheduling and that functionality was a must-have in choosing an EHR. When I was looking for a system (in 2013) many of the EHRs in my price range either did not include or had very primitive client portals. Some of the systems I reviewed did not work well in certain web browsers. CounSol seemed to work regardless of browser. CounSol was very intuitive and easy to navigate which is why I chose them initially. Their excellent customer service, the ease of use for my clients, the user-friendly design, and the continual addition of functionality are why I stay with CounSol.

Bree

September 2022

Great product with many flexible features

My customer service rep is amazing at getting back to me with appropriate help when I need it. I never feel like I'm bothering him for help like I did when using another platform.

Pros

I appreciate the counselor specific customizations that this program has over the 2 others I have used in the past. I chose this as my final program for the flexibility that fits my use patterns and the ease of contacting customer support when I need help. I have had no issues in almost a year with learning and implementing processes. Great platform that functions like I need it to.

Cons

Only area that I would like to see a change is in the lack of flexibility with the program allowing multiple billing codes: 90834 plus add on 90785. It requires more time to bill like this and I do frequently due to having a focus on trauma work/children play therapy.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Amazing customer support and effective platform that allowed my own documentation creation that was not cumbersome to complete.

Reasons for switching to CounSol.com

Simple practice had terrible electronic billing platform with lots of issues and no effective customer service. I would wait weeks/months to try to resolve a simple billing question due to their method of scheduling time to help and then having no answers. Theranest was too cumbersome and did not have the flexibly of Counsol.

Marsha

A Game Changes

I have had a great experience. It is always available- 27-/7 and easy to access. My account manager is very helpful. I have had no billing issues with them. The price is great for what I get.

Pros

I love this software allows me to keep client information in one place. I can schedule appointments easily, and clients get alerts. It cuts down on no-show rates. This also allows me to use my own forms, or I can use templates in the software. There is an encrypted video-chat- text feature that is very nice for telehealth. This software keeps me on top of a lot, and that is awesome, because I do all my own work, billing and so on.

Cons

Sometimes the video does not want to cooperate on client's ends, but I think it is more about their not being tech savvy. It gets in the way of sessions when this does not work well.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Counsol had the option to get video. I knew telehealth would be coming. It was also recommended by ACA.

Kristin

July 2022

Long-time user

I am really happy with CounSol.com overall. It's HIPAA compliant, helpful with billing and payment, and is great for the price in terms of a EMR. There's a bit of set up involved, but once you do that it's easy to use.

Pros

I like that it feels pretty intuitive once everything is set up. I don't have any complaints and anything that I did need help with, customer service was really great about helping with.

Cons

I think the integrated scheduling options and the telehelath video platform leave something to be desired. I have just used other products for these purposes. It's not terrible, but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

I was familiar with CounSol.com, because I used it at a group practice where I was formerly employed. I found it helpful then and decided to stick with it.

Rhonda

Great product

Pros

One of my favorite things is my support person. He is very responsive to me and when I have questions, he responds very quickly. I like that I am able to track progress, do the documentation, have email with clients, manage the calendar and bill and track billing.

Cons

The treatment plan is static. I would like to be able to create a plan to be more in line with the therapy I do.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Customer service and bundled pricing vs flat cost with additional costs based in clients etc. I had questions and those were answered immediately.

Monica

October 2022

Counsol.com Will Exceed Your Expectations

Pros

Counsol.com is very user friendly. It has multiple features including scheduling, reminders, EHR, forms, mail, internal notes, and announcements to patients. Additional options are patient portal, Wiley planners, e-prescribing, video chat, etc.

Cons

The only critique I have is creating forms a bit of a challenge. However, the account reps are always willing to help you.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

I chose Counsol.com because, overall, it meets the needs for my mental health private practice. And, any time I have an question, idea, or feedback, they are always willing to listen and respond.

Dana

Excellent software for Private Practice of all sizes

I'm more efficient in my communication due to secure emailing capabilities. I don't wrestle with scheduling questions/needs because the software is intuitive and allows people to address these things independently. I feel more connected to clients through their ability to compose and share journal entries between sessions. I have zero worries about being HIPAA compliant for video sessions. Further, I can easily access all the information I need from anywhere.

Pros

I can't rave enough about all the ways in which this software has streamlined the work I do, allowing me to focus my energy where it's needed most - treating my clients! I never have to return calls for scheduling issues because Counsol handles all of that. Likewise, I never have to worry about getting consents signed and assessments completed because clients can easily access it from the platform.

Cons

It took me a bit of time to learn how to set up my designated hours and change such, but the customer service has been sensational - prompt, thorough, and will take suggestions for improvement.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Counsol came highly recommended during my telemental health trainings, and I wanted a reliable platform to be able to securely and safely offer video sessions.

Amy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Everything you need for your private practice EHR

This program allowed me to go completely online and paperless. I had no billing experience, and was able to learn how to bill in minutes a week and track claims easily - saving me a lot of money in lost time as well as lost payments. The electronic record is great and can be downloaded with a password if you need to send records to someone.

Pros

Counsol is the most complete, user friendly and affordable EHR I found available, created for the therapist who is also does billing, instead of expecting you to have a separate billing dept. You can do everything, from clients filling out intake forms, scheduling, appt. reminders, video sessions, and it integrates with the billing invoices for easy submission. All the forms, notes, treatment plans and ability to upload any documents you need is right there for every client. Plus the cost is flat rate, no hidden extra fees for anything and will never go up.

Cons

Over the years, as I have found I needed something, the Counsol team has worked to add and integrate it to the program. For instance, now the client can upload insurance cards, and send attachments, but not yet their picture ID, so there is a little room for improvement. There is no app, but the site does work on phones, its's just not as smooth as it could be. The internal email is HIPAA compliant, but the client has to be logged in.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

I looked at a bunch of different programs, and found Counsol had it all, at the best price and needed no special training to use it.

Reasons for switching to CounSol.com

Therapy notes did not have the features I needed when I switched, and they were not adding features at that time. Plus they have extra small charges for all sorts of "extras" which can really add up over the month!

Jill

A Successful Decision

Overall, using CounSol.com has been a great benefit to my business. I cannot imagine not having the features that I mentioned above. Each feature has helped my business run more smoothly.

Pros

I spent a lot of time researching various software programs to meet the needs of the new counseling center I was opening. I wanted an all-in-one system that would allow for customization with forms, EHR, online counseling, and billing. One of the features I like about this particular program is the client journal. I have several clients who really like that feature. I had set up a practice client and learned about the ins and outs of the program and decided it was the one for me even though it was a little more expensive than some of the others. I have not regretted this decision, as it has come through well for me.

Cons

There has been great improvement of the online platform over these months of COVID-19, but I feel that there may need to be even more improvement. I sometimes still have to use backup platforms due to issues with the online platform at random times. One thing I would also like is to be able to do groups online using this platform.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

TherapyNotes did not have an online platform included, I had heard from a few others that they really struggled with not being able to easily create custom forms with SimplePractice, CounSol.com seemed more simplistic and user friendly than TheraNest.

Amy

Excellent Customer Service but Things Need to be Improved

I am staying because it is very difficult to leave and learn a new system. Over the past 5 years, I have tried 4 and this one had the least awful things about it. However, there are several key things that really need to be improved in the accounting system that are not getting addressed and I have brought them up multiple times. There is no good reason for invoices to have different balances depending on which screen you are looking at. I have used them exclusively for 2 years and I have yet to get all of my client accounts to balance out. This is frustrating. I also keep a separate spreadsheet because I do not find the system to be 100% reliable.

Pros

Scheduling works well. Most of my clients are technologically savvy and can schedule themselves. I also appreciate that I have a very knowledgeable, helpful, accessible, dedicated account manager. The help is not delivered through a bot or to a team where you receive minimal assistance, like some of the top rated software companies provide.

Cons

The accounting portion of this software is very difficult to use. There are hidden payments and transactions that you have to go hunting for and sometimes, invoice amounts can appear different on different screens. I cannot begin to count the number of hours I have labored over the accounts, trying to get them to balance.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

Simple Practice had problems, too, with syncing calendars. I tried them before I used Theranest. They also charged for every text/email reminder.

Reasons for switching to CounSol.com

Theranest caused double booking. I believe this happened because I had an assistant logging in from another state and this caused problems, using different servers. I had it synced with Google Calendar and I would have sessions show in Google Calendar that didn't show in Theranest. They insisted this wasn't possible, but it was definitely happening. Because Theranest charges you for the number of clients you have, I was financially penalized for having lots of family clients and couples.

Maritza

Mostly Satified

My overall experience has been awesome.

Pros

I love the ease and the features. I like biopsychsocial but wish it was more oriented to an intake—so w more places for the counselor to enter info during intake. I love the fact that I can attach docs to the clients file, but I dont like that there is another area for attachments and my attachments do not show up there. Thats confusing. Same w Notes. I love the fact that I can run some reports, but I cannot run reports for end of year taxes, like monthly or annual income.

Cons

I wish it offered HIPAA compliant phones and website design. I wish it offered referral to counselor legal representation and a forum for legal questions to b answered by state. I dont like the video conference tool—it works sometimes, audio is spotty, very blurry, and doesnt work at all when ur on the road. I wish [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was nicer and more interested in my issues. I call him so little, but when I do, I always feel like Im bothering him. I wish there were resource materials on the platform, like DSMs and intervention recommendations, worksheets, videos, and articles for specific disorders and issues (like therapistaid.com) I wish CounSol offered virtual offices, virtual assistants, and virtual HR products. I wish CounSol offered recommendations for memberships w associations like APA, SIOP, and others. I wish that CounSol was a one-stop shop for counselors.

Reasons for choosing CounSol.com

When I was in supervision, I believe my supervisor considered therapy notes, but decided that CounSol would ultimately b best fit for us. I stayed w the product.