Browse CounSol.com Reviews

Jessica from Indy Child Therapist

Small Group Private Practice LIFESAVER

Overall, I am staying with CounSol. It allows me to have a virtually paperless practice and automates things that save me both time and money such as self scheduling and appointment reminders. My client report they like the portal and find it relatively easy to use. Although it is customizable, it again is not the prettiest looking thing, although I haven't had any client complaints about this.

Pros

I love almost everything about CounSol! I used it when I was a solo practitioner and have continued as my company has grown into a group practice. What I like: - Electronic intake forms as well as all other forms - FULLY customizable forms including progress notes - Client self scheduling/ Client portal - Online payments - Calendar sync with phone - Secure messaging- staff and clients - Quick claim submission and ERA reconciliation - Customer service- its amazing really!! - Generally accurate monthly payment reports - Appointment reminders via text, email and phone - I also love that they don't tack on costs for features- it is included in the plan you pick!

Cons

I have been with CounSol long enough that I have been able to see them grow, including them implementing suggestions I have personally made for the EHR. That said there are a few things I still don't like: - the interface itself is not as pretty as some of the other ones out there - there can be a lot of button clicking sometimes (this has improved) - my staff report they do not find it intuitive to use - the way the payment report screen handles refunds (however, if you know how it does, then it is easy to account for- just more button clicking) - Use of Office Ally for clearinghouse, but bc of changes on the part of Office Ally not CounSol - They don't have an app and I dislike the mobile view - Not a monthly all clinician view calendar, but there is a weekly one, but it doesn't show openings, just booked appointments

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

CounSol has the features I need to be truly paperless, has secure messaging and doesn't add on costs for features!

Tammy from National MD Billing

Industry: Mental Health Care

This is THE Software for Clinical Social Workers and Therapists!

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] is our account manager and he has been absolutely amazing! I remember being on the phone with him and I noticed that it was past his shift, but he continued working with me regardless. He almost always answers his phone when I call. If he doesn't (which is rare), he calls me back pretty quickly. In addition, he responds to emails pretty quickly. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] had no problem rolling up his sleeves when I needed assistance with adding forms to the system. This was a HUGE help! [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is an easy going guy who takes time looking into questions that pop up. YOU ROCK [SENSITIVE CONTENT]! Thanks for all you do!!!

Pros

I love the little help pop-ups. The system is very user-friendly. But, if I have a question about a feature/function, the help pop-up typically gives me the help I need. The software team obviously put a lot of thought into developing this software because it fits perfectly into our workflow.

Cons

There's a lot manual work involved when migrating from another system. But, it's clearly worth it.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

The provider client loves that CounSol offers the Wiley Template library. The admin staff loves the ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

SimplePractice has no business categorizing itself as an EMR or practice management system. It is seriously lacking a lot of basic functionality; and support is essentially nonexistent. In addition, they make it very difficult to migrate to another system, in an effort to force clients to stay with them. It's rather sad because if our needs were to change, we would NEVER consider going back to SP!

Kristin from LiveWell Behavioral Health Center

Great, user-friendly EMR

I used this platform with a group practice before I started my own practice, so I felt comfortable with using it right away. I was surprised though with how easy it was to customize and tailor to my own needs. There's a lot to do to set it up, but you have the support of the customer service rep and it's not difficult. Once you do set it up, it's so streamlined and easy to use. I'm really happy with my choice to go with them.

Pros

I really enjoy the ease of creating and customizing forms per my needs. I also like that it's an all-in-one interface. My EMR, billing, etc. are all in one convenient place and the customer service representatives are really helpful in getting set up.

Cons

I don't love the telehealth platform that's inside the platform. I end up paying for an additional telehealth platform that is a bit more reliable (e.g., steady video).

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I had some familiarity with the plaform already.

Rachel from Rachel W Blogg, LCSW, PA

Lots of positives and can be a much better product with changes

My notes are getting done quicker bc it's easier to get them done, I've realized although it's cheaper and there are some features that are better than my old product, it's not as professional as my old product and doesn't offer as many resources for measures that I would use as a LCSW

Pros

The invoice feature, the ease of calendar, birthday emails,

Cons

The intake measures aren't pulled into the initial intake note. This doesn't create a professional looking intake note like the other system I used. No ability to write a formal short note about a phone session, or missed sessions when you void the invoice you can't document it. Can't send attachments in an email via this site that I don't want to make available to all clients. The billing feature pages are very confusing and can be very overwhelming. The measures offered are limited and personally I don't want to have to input them and/or recreate them and it doesn't allow me to send specific measures to individual clients. It's like a one size fits all with this product.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Valant was costly however it's definitely worth it for many of the features that I would like for my profession although the ease of CounSol in certain aspects is better. Would really like it if CounSol could step it up and become more competitive with the professionalism of intakes, measures and notes as Valant.

Heather from Anchor Family Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

The EMR that does it all.

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] assisted in transfer of data and help setting up initial forms and guidance and support since. Overall I have had an amazing experience and enjoy working with the software.

Pros

This program is amazing. I switched from another software a little over 2 years ago. The developers and customer service is supportive and willing to add features as needed. Forms are customizable and features are well rounded to cover all bases of my therapy practice. The help feature assists in keeping someone from having to call and ask for support and is detailed with pictures to guide. I love that I can share documents and notes with clients to prevent having to print and send out records and assists with collaborative care.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Most of the features I would like added I submit a request and developers add the features.

Cost and features.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Cost and lack of needs being met.

Annecy from Dr. Baez @ Mindful Practice

Highly recommended

My overall experience with Counsol.com has been positive, they have more features than any other management system, there is flexibility to create your own forms, you can upload pdfs for your clients to support them in between sessions, they can use the journal feature and share with the therapist, and it is user friendly, plus they have great support.

Pros

My overall experience with Counsol.com has been positive, they have more features than any other management system I know, and I have tried several of them. There is flexibility to create your own forms, you can upload pdfs for your clients to support them in between sessions, they can use the journal feature and share with the therapist, and it is a user-friendly softwar, plus they have great support. I also appreciate that they are always looking for user feedback to improve their service, and they are responsive to our recommendations. In addition, they share new features with us in their newsletter so that we are never lost. Overall, all other features are excellent, from the biopsychosocial both the short and long-form, treatment planner, and the new integrative feature of therascribe, that is a real plus. Lastly, creating a bill or invoice is also pretty easy. I deeply appreciate all of the hard work that goes on in continously improving this service, and the support they provide. I highly recommend Counsol.com.

Cons

The scheduling of appointments can be a little user-friendly, but then I learned the trick. I think having little videos on different features may help the user. The visual interface can be upgraded more modernized. I would not publicize this, but Therapynotes has a beautiful interface and a very easy-to-use scheduling system, but I prefer the flexibility of features provided by Counsol.com. Such an amazing software, but the telemental health feature needed updating. I stopped using it in favor of Doxyme and Zoom.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

I had used others before switching to Counsol, then I switched to TherapyNotes because of the following reasons: 1. The interface, visually it was not modern enough, a little boring. https://www.therapynotes.com/ but they have a beautiful interface, very modern, clean, and appealing. I like that they have a to do list 2. The scheduling software is still a problem, too many steps to create a schedule and it is so frustrating. I still don't get it. TherapyNotes allowed me to create an appointment immediately. 3. Therapy notes also kept track of my to-dos for every client. 4. Therapy notes had lots of features that I really appreciated, yet I liked to create my own notes and none of the other software allows us to do this and if they did, which they promised they would, they wanted to charge for the feature. I then switched back to Counsol.com. 5. Another software also had an app that simplified things for me when I needed the info on a client. I loved that feature.

Anisha from Collin County Counseling

User Friendly!

CounSol.com is very practical and convenient for everyday use for your counseling practice. It helps with your billing, scheduling, notes, online video HIPPA Compliant Portal Services all at an affordable price!

Pros

I have been using CounSol.com for my private practice for over 4 years now and I have been very happy with their services and features it has to offer. The set up is easy and my account manager [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been very responsive to my needs. Since last year I had to start offering counseling virtually, it was a huge relief that their platform is HIPPA Compliant and it was easy to add that feature on the account and yet kept my monthly operational costs reasonable. I use the scheduler daily to manage my practice with appointment reminders going out regularly, user friendly for most of my clients and good video connectivity. I would highly recommend it for your practice!

Cons

What I like the least about CounSol.com is that sometimes I have clients who have a challenge Logging Into the portal as it is not best supported on other browsers such as Firefox or Safari. Not everyone has Google Chrome browser, so for some clients it is inconvenient to have to switch to Chrome on their device to access the video session on the portal.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

CounSol.com was more affordable for all the features I needed to grow and maintain my private practice! Using a HIPPA Complaint Virtual Portal to my clients was a very important feature it offers at an affordable price for my private practice!

dee from All Tribes Mental Health Services, Inc

Great product for bililng but not so great for clinicians

It has its pluses but the minuses tend to outweigh its good points. I am still on the fence as to whether this was a good move. Only time will tell.

Pros

Its ability to protect client data but allowing us to invoice, send claims, use telehealth, communicate electronically, and chat. Great for getting documents signed and completed. Great for creating new clients as the system is user friendly (outside of very small font).

Cons

It is made for one type of bill... outpatient therapy sessions (90832,90835, 90837). Things like, crisis, client contact, groups, case management, peer support specialists, and prescribers, are no billable due to the documents that are tied to invoices/ claims. It also allows you to bill without regard as to whether the appointment actually happened or not. No need for notes or documents, just make an appointment and send in the bill. The calendar is very clunky and hard to use. The font is extremely small with no way to make it bigger. There is no ability to do groups/ couples treatment unless everyone is piled up under the same webcam (so much for 6 feet). It is very difficult to make appointments. There is no way to edit an appointment after it has been made either... it has to be canceled. There is an overlord of your account who has to help you do most everything.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

It had the features we needed to make our business work better.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

The EHR is very user friendly but has few billing features. We couldn't send clients invoices causing HIPAA issues. We needed a reliable telehealth platform. We needed a better way to get clients to sign/ complete intake documents. and we needed a more developed billing program to keep a budget for our company.

Alice from Alice Stricklin Counseling and Consulting

Satisfied Customer

The support team is always very helpful and responds promptly.

Pros

I appreciate that this software allows me to do all the many aspects of my business. As a mental health provider I also offer supervision, consultations, and trainings. This software allows me to consolidate all the aspects of my business into one platform.

Cons

Some of the features could use some updating. For example, when I click on a client and 1 area of the client, I have to go through the whole process again to locate another aspect of the client record (e.g. find the client, then find what I need). I'm sure there could be a more efficient way.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

The other two options I looked at did not allow for me to have other kinds of 'clients' (i.e. supervision, consultation) Their calendar were only set up for mental health patients.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

I could never get customer service on the phone and their system kept losing some of my records.

Sylvia from Krow

Industry: Mental Health Care

Love using this EHR for my practice!

My experience with Counsol has been great! Customer support is fast and friendly. Response time is pretty quick.

Pros

I have been using Counsol for about 2 years. I love the ability to be able to manage my client's profiles, send reminders, mail, password resets as needed. This EHR paid attention to the smallest detail which makes a big difference with the ease of use. I love the journaling feature and the ability to edit my own documents.

Cons

The video platform was very basic compared to others that I have used. Possibly identify another clearinghouse besides OfficeAlly for billing purposes.

December 2021

Tanya from Sojourn Therapy and Wellness Center

December 2021

Simply the best

I cannot say enough good things about my [SENSITIVE CONTENT]. He has been soooooo patient with me with all my questions. He responds so promptly and is just a very kind man.

Pros

I just love how user friendly it is. One of my clients said, "anyone who can't figure it out must be in pre-school".

Cons

I don't use it for billing and I'm not too enthused about that interface but it's not a big issue at all.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I was actually recommended this platform from a friend. I have nothing really to compare it to but I also have no desire to change.

Claire from Authentic Connections

Great EHR system!

I have had a great experience with Counsol! I have used them for over a year while I started my practice in the pandemic. They've made it really easy to start a practice.

Pros

I really like the customized scheduling features in this software. It makes it easy to keep my boundaries in place for scheduling which can be hard to do on my own. There is a spot to put how long of a break you want between sessions, what types of sessions you want to do on which days (for example, you can see new clients only on Mondays), and you can assign default session types to each client. I also really love their quick and thorough customer service!

Cons

I wish there were more ways that Counsol was inclusive to different communities. They have made some efforts but there is room to grow. For example, having a place to write in gender rather than pick from options. I also wish they could improve the video software. It works well but is lacking basic features that Google Meets and Zoom provide.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I chose Counsol for the scheduling and high levels of customization for the EHR and client portal. The price was decent for the features available.

Norma from IHS Psychotherapy and Counseling LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent software with lots of features at an affordable price!

This software saves me a lot of administrative time and helps me run an efficient, professional practice. They are always updating and adding new features to meet the ever changing demands of the profession.

Pros

Affordability Many features including online scheduling, billing, notes, invoices, credit card payments, secure messaging for clients. Excellent customer service. Extremely responsive Allows for customization for forms and many other features Easy to learn

Cons

For my computer/internet, the quality and reliability of the video did not work for me.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

I did a trial of several products back in 2013. I chose Counsol.com and have never looked back.

Julia from Julia Wallace LCSW – Collaborative Psychotherapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

online scheduling, HIPAA compliant email, billing

It's been very useful... my clients prefer fullslate, but it wasn't HIPAA compliant. I use it on my phone multiple times a day.

Pros

most online schedulers for therapists make it very hard for clients to see all the available slots and choose one that is best for them. Some of the more expensive and highly regarded ones are the worst. Clients have to toggle back and forth and go through 4-10 pages to see which days have openings and what times. They need to write it all down on a piece of paper (!) to choose the optimal one. I was used to the ease of FullSlate (which I recomend if you don't need to be HIPAA compliant) so I carefully reviewed all options. Counsol offers my clients and new clients a monthly view. They can see that i have weds at 8 am and Fridays at 10 and at 3.... one click! This cuts down on me spending time talking to new clients only to discover they aren't free those times... It gets me clients who are decisive and it is me respecting their time. Counsol does much better than FullSlate at syncing with gmail, and it is full service (email, notes, billing, etc), and the customer service is the best I've ever had from a company.

Cons

I wish it offered a sign up list for cancellations for my clients. So for clients who want to see me, but don't have an appointment, that they can get notified if there is an opening.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

best online scheduler for clients, best customer service, gcal sync

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Simple Practice didn't have a good calendar for my clients.

Jen from Hope Restored Clinical Counseling

Best Value and Most Comprehensive

This software makes my solo practice so much easier! I can set reminders for myself, create and check off items on a task list; there are automatic (if desired) session reminders for clients, and client payment information is saved (still meeting HIPPAA compliance as the number is protected, but I don't need to ask for payment from the client every time, I just click to charge the card after the client leaves and have the client sign permission for this to be done for future sessions at the intake appointment!), I can set my own availability on the calendar including blocking time for personal appointments in order to avoid double booking or scheduling sessions when I will be out of the office. I did listen to webinars regarding features of 3-4 plans before choosing Counsol. Once I started with Counsol over 2 years ago, when opening my private practice, I never looked back.

Pros

1) The best feature is definitely the individual tech support! I hear back quickly (same day within a few hours . . . or for faster service I can call but no need for me!) and have been given options to suit my needs, even if not a typical feature at the time. 2) I also love how the CMS-1500 forms are auto-populated if information was previously saved once for clients insurance and session code CPT code was put in (also can be automatic by session type chosen if session presets are made). I can also print directly onto a CMS 1500 form!

Cons

2) I see kids at schools (contract with the local school district) so I wish there were a session option to choose on Counsol that matches each location option listed on the CMS-1500 form .

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

More features, dedicated tech support, customizable forms, ability to have electronic version of standard and my own intake forms (perfect for telehealth!!), specifically for behavioral health treatment providers!

Maritza from Concierge eCare LLC

Mostly Satified

My overall experience has been awesome.

Pros

I love the ease and the features. I like biopsychsocial but wish it was more oriented to an intake—so w more places for the counselor to enter info during intake. I love the fact that I can attach docs to the clients file, but I dont like that there is another area for attachments and my attachments do not show up there. Thats confusing. Same w Notes. I love the fact that I can run some reports, but I cannot run reports for end of year taxes, like monthly or annual income.

Cons

I wish it offered HIPAA compliant phones and website design. I wish it offered referral to counselor legal representation and a forum for legal questions to b answered by state. I dont like the video conference tool—it works sometimes, audio is spotty, very blurry, and doesnt work at all when ur on the road. I wish [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was nicer and more interested in my issues. I call him so little, but when I do, I always feel like Im bothering him. I wish there were resource materials on the platform, like DSMs and intervention recommendations, worksheets, videos, and articles for specific disorders and issues (like therapistaid.com) I wish CounSol offered virtual offices, virtual assistants, and virtual HR products. I wish CounSol offered recommendations for memberships w associations like APA, SIOP, and others. I wish that CounSol was a one-stop shop for counselors.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

When I was in supervision, I believe my supervisor considered therapy notes, but decided that CounSol would ultimately b best fit for us. I stayed w the product.

Stephanie from Mirror 2 the Heart, PLLC

One of the BEST!

Would still be with them if we didn't need E-prescribe. We brought in a nurse practitioner and needed to be able to document this information. I love them and would recommend any new start up company to try their services!

Pros

User friendly interface; client portal easy to use; video capabilities; email and text reminders are standard not extra; staff and biller use is standard; contract is month-to-month and so many other good features! They provide more than one merchant servicer. We used Square and we had no problems. The success coach is amazing always available to assist.

Cons

Billing piece can be a little tricky but not too much that they won't help you with it. You will learn a lot about billing using their system.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Pricing, excellent customer care, features and the ease of the client portal. It matters about the flow for the clients end as well!

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Business was growing and CounSol had the perfect package at the time! Yellow Schedule only helped with scheduling and we wanted to get away from paper notes.

Linda from Close Counseling, LLC

Excellent Software

I have always felt important as a client of Counsol.com. There were times when I was having difficulty understanding how to navigate when I first started with them and my questions were always answered within 24 hours or less, often less. Customer service is great! They are on top of their product and the improvements they make to the site do not require interruptions for me.

Pros

This product is easy to use, secure, and integrated easily into my needs as a counselor to provide organized notes and supportive options for my clients via the secure email, easability to keep track of their invoices and paperwork to print and send to their insurance companies, ease of access to necessary forms to name a few. The calendar is easy to use in setting up the schedule, accepting payments and/or having payments posted automatically within the system when clients utilize that feature allows for billing to be incredibly easy. The forms function allows for seamless uploading of any forms my practice needs for clients to provide information. Counsol.com keeps everything related to the client in one place and allows me to be focused exclusively on the services I provide to my clients.

Cons

What I like least about the software is the difficulty some of my clients have in being able to use the video feature when they first sign up. They also do have a tendency to feel confused about the many features available to them and some need a walk through in the beginning. I'm not sure how Counsol.com can improve on that as the icons to simplify things are very well done.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

When looking through the different products that were available at the time Counsol.com resonated with me in the ease of their website. I think they made the challenging end of the business side of counseling less cumbersome for me as I was a newly licensed clinician setting up my private practice. I was able to set up quickly and relatively easy. In addition, the customer support has kept me loyal to Counsol.com. It is the absolute best!!

Amy from Flexible Counseling

Excellent Customer Service but Things Need to be Improved

I am staying because it is very difficult to leave and learn a new system. Over the past 5 years, I have tried 4 and this one had the least awful things about it. However, there are several key things that really need to be improved in the accounting system that are not getting addressed and I have brought them up multiple times. There is no good reason for invoices to have different balances depending on which screen you are looking at. I have used them exclusively for 2 years and I have yet to get all of my client accounts to balance out. This is frustrating. I also keep a separate spreadsheet because I do not find the system to be 100% reliable.

Pros

Scheduling works well. Most of my clients are technologically savvy and can schedule themselves. I also appreciate that I have a very knowledgeable, helpful, accessible, dedicated account manager. The help is not delivered through a bot or to a team where you receive minimal assistance, like some of the top rated software companies provide.

Cons

The accounting portion of this software is very difficult to use. There are hidden payments and transactions that you have to go hunting for and sometimes, invoice amounts can appear different on different screens. I cannot begin to count the number of hours I have labored over the accounts, trying to get them to balance.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Simple Practice had problems, too, with syncing calendars. I tried them before I used Theranest. They also charged for every text/email reminder.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Theranest caused double booking. I believe this happened because I had an assistant logging in from another state and this caused problems, using different servers. I had it synced with Google Calendar and I would have sessions show in Google Calendar that didn't show in Theranest. They insisted this wasn't possible, but it was definitely happening. Because Theranest charges you for the number of clients you have, I was financially penalized for having lots of family clients and couples.

Amy from Amy M Pascarella, MS, LPC, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Everything you need for your private practice EHR

This program allowed me to go completely online and paperless. I had no billing experience, and was able to learn how to bill in minutes a week and track claims easily - saving me a lot of money in lost time as well as lost payments. The electronic record is great and can be downloaded with a password if you need to send records to someone.

Pros

Counsol is the most complete, user friendly and affordable EHR I found available, created for the therapist who is also does billing, instead of expecting you to have a separate billing dept. You can do everything, from clients filling out intake forms, scheduling, appt. reminders, video sessions, and it integrates with the billing invoices for easy submission. All the forms, notes, treatment plans and ability to upload any documents you need is right there for every client. Plus the cost is flat rate, no hidden extra fees for anything and will never go up.

Cons

Over the years, as I have found I needed something, the Counsol team has worked to add and integrate it to the program. For instance, now the client can upload insurance cards, and send attachments, but not yet their picture ID, so there is a little room for improvement. There is no app, but the site does work on phones, its's just not as smooth as it could be. The internal email is HIPAA compliant, but the client has to be logged in.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I looked at a bunch of different programs, and found Counsol had it all, at the best price and needed no special training to use it.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Therapy notes did not have the features I needed when I switched, and they were not adding features at that time. Plus they have extra small charges for all sorts of "extras" which can really add up over the month!

Jill from Free Spirit Counseling

A Successful Decision

Overall, using CounSol.com has been a great benefit to my business. I cannot imagine not having the features that I mentioned above. Each feature has helped my business run more smoothly.

Pros

I spent a lot of time researching various software programs to meet the needs of the new counseling center I was opening. I wanted an all-in-one system that would allow for customization with forms, EHR, online counseling, and billing. One of the features I like about this particular program is the client journal. I have several clients who really like that feature. I had set up a practice client and learned about the ins and outs of the program and decided it was the one for me even though it was a little more expensive than some of the others. I have not regretted this decision, as it has come through well for me.

Cons

There has been great improvement of the online platform over these months of COVID-19, but I feel that there may need to be even more improvement. I sometimes still have to use backup platforms due to issues with the online platform at random times. One thing I would also like is to be able to do groups online using this platform.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

TherapyNotes did not have an online platform included, I had heard from a few others that they really struggled with not being able to easily create custom forms with SimplePractice, CounSol.com seemed more simplistic and user friendly than TheraNest.

Alice from Dr. Samantha Dreyer, Psychologist

Everything I Need

It has been FABULOUS!

Pros

Counsol.com is a one-stop shop. I use it for every aspect of my practice management, from scheduling to billing, filing insurance claims and accepting credit cards, patient records, and video sessions. It is very easy to use, and when I do have the occasional question, I can usually find an answer in the user help section. If I can't, I know that if I send a request for help, it will come as fast as they can provide it and always within 24 hours. When I needed to add the video sessions to my account in response to the pandemic, they had me set up in less than a day. Counsol.com is also VERY responsive to suggestions for improving the platform. In the time that I have been using it (about 6 years), they have increased functionality to include "sticky notes" for files and reminders of unfinished progress notes, converted from ICD9 to ICD10 seamlessly, and added Wiley Treatment Planners as an option, just to name a few of the improvements.

Cons

The only thing I'd like to see changed, currently, is a tweak to the video sessions so that they show how much time has elapsed, not just tell me when the session is "supposed" to end.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I chose Counsol.com because it was reasonably priced with a guarantee that my monthly bill would not increase unless I chose to add video sessions (an optional feature which I thought I might one day want, but didn't utilize until the pandemic) for the life of my account, I could access my files in perpetuity, and it was strongly recommended by a colleague who raved about their customer service (which I can also attest to - I love my account manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]).

Billie from Joyful Restoration Counseling

Best Software, Superb Customer Service

The customer service meets all expectations that I could have had for a software program! Each client gets a personal account manager that is literally at your service with one phone call, that actually goes to a REAL phone with a REAL person. My account manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], has created documents for me, has walked me through many of the processes of insurance submission, ERA reconciliation, and so much more. This personalized service and "training" that he offered helped me to get comfortable with the program very quickly. He was out of town once when I had sent an email (I had no idea), but my email was answered by a colleague. I so appreciated that I wasn't "left hanging" for the period of time that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was unavailable.

Pros

I did a trial run of five different programs before I chose this particular one. This software has been a game changer in my practice! I love the versatility of being able to create (or have created) my own forms, mental health assessments, and documents at my fingertips AND at my client's fingertips. I love that it has capabilities of an "all in one" program from intake paperwork, to treatment plans, to submission of insurance claims, to account reconciliation, to telehealth calls, to collection of payments...this program literally does it all! Each client gets a personal account manager that is literally at your service with one phone call, that actually goes to a REAL phone with a REAL person.

Cons

I feel that the client portal is lacking in visual appeal and user friendliness. I often have clients who log into their portal, but then cannot "find" the things they are needing to complete or where to pay their invoices. I also feel the program is a bit pricey, as many features are an "add on" and you have to pay "per user". When you have multiple users and expect to add more to your practice, this can get quite expensive pretty quickly. There is a learning curve with the program that was a little tougher than I expected it to be considering my extensive computer skills background, but the customer service made the learning curve feel much less overwhelming.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

all of the reasons listed above

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

There was NOTHING simple about Simple Practice, and the customer service was AWFUL.

Meredith from Meredith Wilson LCSW, PC

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Gold Standard for Practice Management Software

Pros

I have used CounSol for several years to manage all the functions of my private psychotherapy practice (scheduling, appointment reminders, notes, billing, claim filing). I recommend it to every single colleague that I encounter who is either looking for recommendations for practice management software or is unhappy with their current option. I find the interface intuitive, straight forward, and the technical support when I have a question is abolutely stellar. I have had the same direct contact at CounSol for 3 years and they respond FAST! It is also fully customizable and you can enable or disable all the different options depending on what works best for you at the time. My clients are also happy with it as they use it to complete consent forms, enter biopsychosocial history info, get appointment reminders, and for the past several months have been using it as platform for Telehealth with great results.

Cons

I don't like that clients have to change password/get locked out after 60 days of inactivity but I understand why that is important for security purposes.

Ericka from Mind Over Matter Professional Counseling, PLLC

The Best Hands Down

Overall, I love Counsol and have been using them for over 3 years now. I recommend it to all of my friends in the mental health field. It is so easy to use and the price is amazing. LOVE LOVE LOVE this product!

Pros

I love how easy it is to customize, understand and train staff to learn and understand how to use the features. The price point is fantastic for the quality and amount of features.

Cons

I wish that some of the information that I can see was not accessible to the clinicians that work for my company. EX: The rate of service when booking a client or for them to input the CPT codes, just little things like that. I also wish there was an automated To Do List. EX: As soon as I have held a scheduled session with a client, the system would remind me to complete the progress note, billing, treatment plan etc.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Best price for the product. Excellent support staff. I can still call my rep and he helps even after 3 years. We have become almost friends.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

I was only trying out some other EHR systems in the beginning when I first started my practice and there were a lot of features that Counsol offered for free that cost with other companies. Also, there were some features that I was looking for that those companies did not offer.

Evan from At Water's Edge Counseling

BEST EHR for Counselors!

They have excellent customer service and are quick to answer questions and help however possible. They are fast via email and you have the option to call too. They are open to customer feedback and often update the software to incorporate many of our ideas.

Pros

Everything. It has changed so much over the last several years and only gets better. I love the text reminders, secure emails, ease of scheduling, use of treatment plans and the ability for the client to e-sign them...the income graphs, birthday reminders, ability to scan/upload and attach documents and pictures/art, credit card storage, insurance billing...there is so much to love!

Cons

Lack of progress note specifically for play therapists (but there is an option to create your own).

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Cost and it was recommended

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Practice Fusion was geared more to medical doctors and was clunky at the time.

Dana from Fulfillment Counseling & Life Coaching PLLC

Excellent software for Private Practice of all sizes

I'm more efficient in my communication due to secure emailing capabilities. I don't wrestle with scheduling questions/needs because the software is intuitive and allows people to address these things independently. I feel more connected to clients through their ability to compose and share journal entries between sessions. I have zero worries about being HIPAA compliant for video sessions. Further, I can easily access all the information I need from anywhere.

Pros

I can't rave enough about all the ways in which this software has streamlined the work I do, allowing me to focus my energy where it's needed most - treating my clients! I never have to return calls for scheduling issues because Counsol handles all of that. Likewise, I never have to worry about getting consents signed and assessments completed because clients can easily access it from the platform.

Cons

It took me a bit of time to learn how to set up my designated hours and change such, but the customer service has been sensational - prompt, thorough, and will take suggestions for improvement.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Counsol came highly recommended during my telemental health trainings, and I wanted a reliable platform to be able to securely and safely offer video sessions.

Tammy from Forward Thinking Perspectives PLLC

Industry: Military

I've tried the rest and this is still the best

My overall experience has been great. The customer service has been outstanding and very responsive.

Pros

I am able to take homework assignments and create forms for the clients to fill out right on the portal and not have to print out or download unless they want to. Billing is simple and easy. Clients can schedule their own appointments on thru the portal. The video sessions have been free of glitches most of the time and considering myself and most of my clients are in very rural areas that has been good. Intakes, treatment agreements, consent, privacy policies, etc able to be filled out and signed on client portal. client's report paying through client portal is easy and they are able to do it the day of their appointment before session. One price for unlimited reminders, active clients, claims, etc.

Cons

I do wish there was an app for myself and the clients but I am hopeful that will happen in the future.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Because of all the reasons above. I also tried free trials of all of the above about a year and half ago to see if there was something better than CounSol.com and determined that CounSol best meets my needs and is the most affordable. Even though CounSol.com uses Office Ally and they charge if you have mostly medicaid it is still the best value for everything I want and need and comes in less expensive for me than ones that charge extra for active clients, reminders, etc.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

The option to have clients fill out homework on the portal and to also be able to have folders of different handouts on the portal for clients to access and to be able to dictate what clients could or could not access them.

Tammy from Tammy Whitten, MS, CFLE, LMFT, PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Most features, best price, easiest to use

I haev saved time and money, been able to reduce no-shows because of reminders sent to my clients, been able to recoup losses for no-shows because of the ability to integrate a credit card system (that's low cost) where clients are required to keep a card on file (secure, meeting Federal standards) that I can run if they do not show up. I would keep going, but my next therapy appointment just walked in! Got to go! I can't recommend them enough.

Pros

I have been with Counsol for 5 years. It's like having my own administrative assistant. It has freed up more time (for me to fill with other things, lol). When I first looked for software, I signed up for free trials and even made a chart comparing the features. Counsol has the most features then, and continues to have them now. You can use Counsol as your website, since it has the ability to add pages on your portal that are visible to the public. Just buy your name as a domain name and then point it towards your Counsol URL. You can select which options show up on forms, create your own forms, tweak treatment plans, decide what clients can and can't access, provide teletherapy, upload handouts and mp3s for your clients by topic (couples, parenting, ADHD, depression, etc.). You also have your own personal account representative. I have had the same one since I started. Each time I have a question, I get a prompt response back from him. If there's a problem, he works to find out what's going on and they troubleshoot with the software team to find solutions. They are also open to ideas and feedback and since I have used them, they have continued to add more features and capabilities. You can create users to have access to certain aspects of the software, so others can do scheduling or billing for you. I can't give enough kudos!

Cons

Until recently, the video software has been in need of some updating. But they have worked to develop an even better platform for distance therapy. It's currently being finalized and I am excited to test it out ASAP!

Fantastic practice management

This system does almost everything required to manage my existing clients. It's very easy to use and I like being able to see the current day's schedule and monthly overview from the summary page. Sometimes I don't even take my computer to the office - I just use my iPad. I'm also very pleased with the mobile phone version of the website - it's especially convenient to send username reminders and password resets directly from my phone since I'm usually away from the computer when those requests come through.

Pros

It has a client portal, it's easy to use from both the client and administrator side. It includes scheduling, billing, secure communication, and recording keeping all in one place. The company is very responsive to user issues and suggestions for new functionality. The product keeps improving. It encourages good record keeping by showing icons or plus signs to indicate if there are treatment plans for clients and notes for completed sessions.

Cons

Creating new forms can be cumbersome but my account manager offered to upload my form data from the back-end so I just had to make minor adjustments. I wish that my clients could either upload documents or add attachments to mail messages within the portal. The announcement function (basically an email blast) sends an email to the client stating that they have a message in the portal. Since users get locked out if it's been 2-3 months since their last login, I get a barrage of password reset requests everything I send out an announcement. From the user perspective I think they would like to at least see the title of the message in the notification email, even if they have to log in to see the full message.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I had been using FullSlate for online scheduling and that functionality was a must-have in choosing an EHR. When I was looking for a system (in 2013) many of the EHRs in my price range either did not include or had very primitive client portals. Some of the systems I reviewed did not work well in certain web browsers. CounSol seemed to work regardless of browser. CounSol was very intuitive and easy to navigate which is why I chose them initially. Their excellent customer service, the ease of use for my clients, the user-friendly design, and the continual addition of functionality are why I stay with CounSol.

Lilyan from Spectrum Counseling

Best Value for the Money

This is a great software. It’s quite user-friendly. Compared to competitors, Counsol is the best value for the money for me. I do a fair amount of insurance billing. Counsol submits claims for free through Officeally, unlike competitors who do their own electronica claim submission and charge money for each claim submitted. However, officeally is not ideal for me. I have contacted Counsol’s customer service to see if they might look into linking Availity into their insurance billing. I use Availity to file Regence payments, since Regence is no longer a “Payer” provider in OfficeAlly ( meaning I would have to pay if I filed claims through them). Counsol’s customer service was not willing to take my suggestion into consideration. They simply replied that Officeally was the best. So now I’m having to use more than one system to do my billing, but at least it’s still all free, unlike other practice management software.

Pros

Customer services tops. I always get a response within a few hours. All billing is done through Office Ally, which means that many claims are filed for free, unlike Simple Practice, which charges $.25 per claim, or Therapy Notes, which charges $.14 per claim. Counsol also doesn’t charge for appointment reminders.

Cons

Depending on what features you use, counsol could actually the same price or more expensive as other billing software, (if you’re not using insurance billing). Definitely compare prices closely before you choose a software.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

The number one reason was that it was personally recommended to me by a friend. Also, at the time, Counsol was the most cost-effective option. However, it’s monthly price is actually the same price or more expensive than other EHRs.

Nate from Growing Hope Counseling

First EHR System I have used

Gives me HIPAA compliant platform. Allows for secure emails to be sent through system.

Pros

The price is good for the product. I love that I have an account manager that is very helpful. He has helped me with any questions that I have. He also has loaded my forms onto the system for me. Saves time.

Cons

The video portion was not used for phones or tablets. Even though a lot of my clients are video, I did not purchase this part of the system due to that. I wish that forms could easily be duplicated instead of sending to my account rep. I also wish that a form could be assigned to multiple labels rather than just one or all. I also wish there were video tutorials, not just documents, however the account rep is a good resource. Clients can't upload documents to send me. I am still having to purchase HIPAA email system outside of Counsol. I wish clients could get an alert to their text when a message was sent.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Price for product. Main reason is that email was included. My goal was to have one place for my clients to use, but that did not work out. The video platform I use is VSee and the texting is OhMD. I am also going to add a secure email system as there are other situations that need secure email that is difficult to accomplish through this system. Does require multiple sign ins, which I was trying to avoid. But VSee saves me $15 a month and clients can use their phone or tablet.

Deirdre from Deirdre Staton, LCSW, PLLC

A Game Changer!

I have loved CounSol since I started using this practice management system in 2014 and have only grown to appreciate it and the people behind the scenes more and more. Not only does it simplify my life and​ practice but my clients are pleased and complimentary as well. I recently contracted with another clinician to serve as records custodians for one another in the event of death or impairment. As part of this process, we were educating each other on our practice management platforms. She uses Simple Practice so I signed up for a free trial to familiarize myself with it. In web reviews, these systems look very comparable but I found Simple Practice to be lacking visually and was surprised at the absence of some features such as sending out a secure group announcement to all clients (e.g, if going on vacation, posting revised policies, etc.). I did not make an inventory of the differences in Simple Practice and CounSol as I was not planning to write a review. However, I did come away from the experience with renewed conviction that I had chosen the best system!

Pros

* Variety of features, options/customizability​ especially compared to other practice management programs * Ease of use and my own rapidly responding, personal account manager to consult when needed--I'm still trying to figure out if he ever goes home or takes a vacation! * Automatically generated reminders and invoices sent to clients * Ease of scheduling for clients online if they wish * Mobile accessibility for clients but also myself when I need to manage details outside of the office * The visual design and ease of navigating * The company's dedication to continually improving their system and their responsiveness to suggestions

Cons

I can't identify any dislikes but have found myself wanting automatically generated reminders if a progress note is not completed as I've had this with other electronic health records. Such a feature can be a lifesaver for those irritatingly fallible human moments we all have occasionally.

Wendy from Greater Potomac Counseling, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

CounSol was the best choice, by far

Pros

I evaluated several EHR options when I started my solo therapy practice. I decided to give CounSol a trial, and I was hooked within a day. The customer service literally can't be beat. Upon my first phone call, I was assigned an IT representative, whom I can reach *directly* via e-mail or phone. No phone trees. No voicemail. No waiting. He helped me set up the system exactly the way I wanted it, including customizing forms and other components. He has responded promptly to questions, helped me fix mistakes I've made, and passed along suggestions to the development team -- ALL of which were implemented within days. CounSol was wonderful when I began using it, and it keeps getting better all the time. It has all the features I need, and more. I've recommended CounSol to colleagues, and every one of them is glad to be using this system. Of all the options out there, CounSol is the most comprehensive, versatile and customizable. And beyond all of that, the personalized IT service literally can't be beat. I'll never switch!!

Cons

Because CounSol is so comprehensive, there was a bit of a learning curve at the beginning and it felt somewhat overwhelming. However, my IT rep walked me through every step at the beginning and responded immediately to questions (no matter how trivial!) as I learned the system. I've never experienced customer service like I have with CounSol. That alone is worth every penny. Moreover, the development team continues to make CounSol increasingly user-friendly and intuitive as time goes on. I really love this system.

Jonathan from MarriageEnvy

Counsol is the most flexible of all the private practice platforms I tested.

Pros

One of the main selling points for me was the client portal. All the other ones that had portals required that the clinician approve the appointment request, with no other option. Why? I don't need more steps in my already busy schedule. And my clients, like any customer, want simple confirmations for their busy schedule instead of waiting to hear back so they can then make other adjustments for their schedule. I'm not a big fan of two steps when one does the job. My clients REALLY like being able to schedule this way and not have to play phone tag with me, nor wait for a confirmation. Flexibility and customization is a big selling point for me with Counsol. I don't bill insurance and I don't use the OMR feature--I still go old school paper charts. While most may not need this option, with Counsol I can still use it fully for robust scheduling, billing, and payment processing without having to enter progress notes and treatment plans--most of the other ones i tested required that you also use it for notes. That for me would've caused additional steps to enter notes when I already have a paper record. Again, less = better, and flexible customization = better. Customer support has always been VERY responsive, personal, and helpful. Overall, what I liked most is that Counsol is the most flexible of all the private practice platforms I tested, and I tested at least 10 of the most popular.

Cons

Concerns: Many actions give the option to select if you want to send info about that action to the client. I would like to be able to change the default setting for the whole system to "do not send to client" rather than having to select that option each time. Again, less steps = better. Wish could print billing statements that fit in #9 double window billing envelope--which is pretty standard billing practice. I've been told that is not an option, and while yes I can email statements that's not how my practice functions. So, when I mail invoices to third party payers (for me mostly clergy as I don't work with insurances at all), I have to print out the invoice AND an additional piece of paper with my return address and the recipients address formatted for that type of envelope. Again, this is a standard envelope that any program that includes billing uses. I would love to have that feature added. Minor concern: The interface isn't as polished/slick as some of the others out there. I think some more in-depth exploration there with users would be valuable.

Tammy from Tammy Whitten, MS, LMFT, CFLE, PLLC

All-in-one service

I have saved so much time with scheduling thanks to Counsol. That alone is worth the monthly fee for me. It's also given me back a lot of time spent communicating with clients via phone, text, and emails. Now I can point them to one place and it makes like easier for them and for me! Throughout the time I have used them, they have continued to add more features. You can have other team members who help with billing or scheduling or other needs to access only the parts of the portal that they need- without sacrificing client privacy. Using Counsol has been the single best decision I've made for my practice!

Pros

I love that I can do so much with Counsol, and the features continue to evolve. I am going into my 5th year with them and it has made my life so much simpler. I am not only able to have client complete the paperwork beforehand, but they an schedule and get reminders for their appointments, too. One feature that I especially love is the ability to add handouts and other helpful info inside the portal. I have recorded relaxation mp3s, designed sheets to help them work through thoughts, handouts to help with grief, and relationship assessments. I have them organized into folders, and then I can assign certain folders to appear for the clients. Then, in our sessions, I can show them how to use those tools when they are outside of session, and they find them to use again and again. I have my own representative who contacts me whenever I have a question. He is fast and helpful.

Cons

I wish that the video feature worked on phones instead of just laptops. It's also best when both parties use earbuds or headphones to help with echoing.

Mary from Mary Moonen, LCSW, CAP

My experience with trying Counsol

It's excellent . I have already told my peers about it. FIRST, it puts a much more professional touch to services from the very beginning! They can fill out the specific forms that you require, such as consent and Hippa forms, client data, they can fill out own biopsychosocial, so it has already saved me time, it is much easier as some clients have illegible writing. It is much better for me, because my writing isn't the best and it looks so much more professional. The notes are secure but client can access their records through their own secure portal, which is in keeping with many other medical offices. TX plans are easier as the standard measurable goals and interventions are included and can be individualized. The Ind progress notes are very easy and cover what most insurances would need to know, plus they are always a good reminder to cover all the basics each visit. So, it ok me a bit longer and I had more anxiety as I am " old school" but the support staff was great and it is well worth the money for time saved and professionalism. If people are already tech savvy then it's a walk in the park and a no-brainer to use! Lastly I picked this software because even though there was other software application available for therapists, most did not have a HIPPA compliant for Telemental Health. It gives me 9eace of mind that I can prove I am doing everything I can to keep all communications confidential, and the client feels better with it as well. Great product great service!

Pros

The support staff has been extremely friendly and helpful, as well as patient! I am not a very tech-savvy person at all but knew I wanted to go digital with records. I also recently got certified for Telemental health and needed a HIPPA secure platform, so I set it up. They promised me excellent customer service and said I could call as many times as needed to get training, and he would book a full hour session with me! I needed several sessions and that's only because as said I am not tech savvy, but NOW that has gotten the swing of things it has already made my office management, documentation a lot easier!

Cons

Actually I don't like the "WHODAS" lable I understand is called that as far as measuring disability, but sounds weird to clients, and some tend to skip it though it's very simple. I would reword it to " Disability Screening Tool" and then in parentheses, write out the official name if screening as it is a widely used and recognized tool, but hard for clients to unduid they are seeing me for depression why am I asking them to fill out a questionnaire about how long they can stand or sit, then they skip the whole thing even though there is relevant content on emotional well being.

Robert from New Perspectives

Comprehensive therapy practice software

I am pleased with my choice of CounSol.com. It's my first EHR and I don't imagine switching to another. It seems to do almost everything I want it to do and, since customer service is so responsive, I'm confident that they will be able to implement many of my suggestions over time.

Pros

Covers all aspects of practice management including scheduling, documentation, and billing. It's a HIPAA-compliant interface that includes secure video sessions (for a small additional monthly charge). A secure client portal is included, allowing clients to manage their own sessions, pay their bills, and send secure messages to you. It's possible to upload and/or create your own forms/assessment measures within the software and specify which clients receive them and when. You can share session notes with clients securely. Clients can journal within the system and choose to share it with you. It also includes your own referral page at counselorlisting.com at no additional charge. Session reminders via text, email, and/or recorded telephone message are included at no charge. Insurance billing is built into the software to make it easier to submit claims and increase your revenue. Session notes include check boxes and drop-down menus, which speed documentation time. You are assigned a customer service representative, who I have found to be *excellent* in helping me learn the software and troubleshoot difficulties. You can potentially reduce your monthly bill to nothing ($0/month!) by using referral code GMCSCU when you enroll and then referring others to their software.

Cons

If you're new to setting up EHR software, the learning curve can be pretty steep. There are so many things to set up and so much that the software can do that it feels pretty overwhelming initially, to be honest. Documentation is generally pretty comprehensive and my customer service representative have been able to help me through this, though. The interface isn't immediately intuitive and can feel somewhat clunky. Despite excellent functionality, the icon choices are (in my opinion) a bit cheesy in appearance. Initial setup of banking, insurance panels, credit card processing takes some time. Setting up forms for clients to complete is a nice option, but is somewhat laborious. Formatting options are limited. Not currently possible to have forms scored automatically. Very few preconfigured assessment tools included.

Alison from Alison Jedrick, LCSW

Industry: Mental Health Care

HIPAA Compliant video platform with EHR and personal customer support!

It has everything I need for a small practice- I could even do my billing through it but I have a long-standing relationship with my biller and will try to keep her until I retire because I'm sentimental like that. It does let me invoice directly and get paid through the site. Some of my clients have had difficulty using the platform for video counseling and journaling, but this is usually easy to resolve or related to their hardware/ wifi. The only reason I give 4 stars for customer support is that tech support is not 24/7 and video counseling can be after hours. Clients cannot access tech support directly due to confidentiality. I love the scheduling feature because it allows you to schedule recurring appointments with versatility to the client's needs, and allows options for updates on all recurrences when changes are made. I have asked for a document to share with clients for troubleshooting. Jonathan has been very helpful with translating my forms into easy-to-complete web forms for my clients, and very responsive to my questions and requests. I hope in the future CounSol will offer additional or premium options like uploads for Qliq (or a phone app with HIPAA compliant texting), rating scales offered to the client upon each login for sessions (You can do this now but have to have them created, and assign for each session), and an option that does allow you to print notes using less paper in the event hard copies are required. It's a great EHR for a solo mental health practitioner, and the price is affordable with quality service.

Pros

Built-in video, HIPAA-compliant w BAA, Jonathan (personal assigned CSR), Ability to customize forms and share with clients, upload attachments and save to a specific client.

Cons

When I have to print, the forms use way too much paper even double sided. Clients can't call customer service if they are having trouble connecting, leaving it to me to do troubleshooting, which is tough afterhours. It doesn't happen often, but I would like more troubleshooting resources available for the client. I also don't understand the full fee/ copay thing- are they charged for both? Is it the negotiated rate for their insurance company or my full rate? I just want them to be able to pay their copay online because I don't currently use the platform for billing.

Cliff from North Valley Counseling

Great Practice Software & Great Support

I have used CounSol for about 2 years now. It is well worth the money. Some of the ways I use it: I created custom intakes which all client's fill out in the encrypted portal before the first visit (if I see something concerning, I'm able to contact the client before our first visit, plus I already have an idea about what to expect). Client's also electronically sign HIPPAA, Informed Consent, Policies, etc. I am able to create labels for clients such as "couple" "minor" etc., so that the system automatically assigns certain forms or resources to be available just to those clients. Client's often schedule on line, saving us all time and the reminder emails/texts help my clients to show up and help me look professional. One of the greatest features is that the portal colors, fonts, etc. are easily customized so that the portal matches my website and logo and it doesn't say "CounSol" anywhere. This gives the impression that it's in house and not just a service. Then there is all the billing (customized invoices, super bills, printing 1500 insurance claims), private encrypted messaging, progress notes/psychotherapy notes, interactive calendar, etc., etc., I also can download everything and store pass-word protected files just in the event that something goes very wrong (which won't happen because CounSol has redundancy, but I like the extra security and knowing that I can access records without a connection). Now, I've saved the best for last! If I get stuck, I can call and customer service is usually right there or call back very soon! For me that is the biggest reason I made the switch from another service. If I'm stuck, I need help, just like my clients! I embrace technology, but need a human being to aid me if I don't understand. Give it a shot and I think you won't look back!

Pros

Flexible & Easily Customized Great Customer Support Private Labeled (doesn't mention CounSol to clients)

Cons

No real cons. I sometimes find little things I wish were different and if I let them know and it makes sense for everyone, they have actually added the feature. Pretty Cool yeah?

Tammy from Tammy Whitten, MS, LMFT, CFLE, PLLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great streamlined my private practice

After years of being in private practice, I could tell that I was getting close to burn out. Like most of us, I am the therapist, the janitor, the office manager, the marketing team, and everything in between. It was just too much on me. At the suggestion of a friend, I started looking at scheduling software. I searched online and ran across several different options, and even tried them out. I found one that I liked, but it was designed for hair salons and similar business. I made notes of my favorite features and then started another search once I realized that electronic records and scheduling systems were actually within my cost point. I had no idea what was possible before. I still have the piece of paper somewhere in my stack where I sat down with all of the various software programs I found that were designed with therapists in mind. I wrote down all of the features and then bubbled in which programs had which features. Counsol was the only one that had all of the features that I needed. Client scheduling, reminders, records, and a way to complete all paperwork online before the session, check. A way to integrate credit card/online payments and to work seamlessly with my website, check. A way to conduct sessions via secure electronic means inside the system (so no one has to download special programs), check. A place for me to store common worksheets that I share with clients, and even to set it up so clients only get access to those things that pertain to their treatment, check. A way for clients to download Superbills to share with their insurance companies, check. A way to share notes with clients on what to do between sessions, check. A place for me to privately share my reflections to help keep me on track, check. A journal option for clients that allows them to record their thoughts between sessions and to decide whether or not to share it with me, check (no one else has this to my knowledge and my clients absolutely adore it). A way to block clients from being able to schedule at certain times, or to only allow certain session lengths or types (phone, video, etc.), check. Everything with Counsol has been perfect. Once the tech team made an upgrade that wasn't my favorite. I contacted Jonathan and within hours, they had made it possible for me to go back to the other way. I can't say enough good things. They have made my life much easier for the past few years. I can't imagine functioning without them. I now have peace of mind!

Pros

All of the features (my clients love it, too). I can make announcements about dates I am out of office or reminders on the log-in page so clients can all be made aware of changes, etc.

Cons

Not all of the features are available in the mobile version (but I just click "full site" and I can access them easily that way.

Heather from Center for Sexual Health and Rehabilitation

Simplifies my practice

Switching to counsol has made managing my private practice much easier. Customer support has been very responsive and the developers have implemented many of my suggested changes. The other development changes that have been made have all been imprints improvements and made this a very flexible and robust system. The free initial setup input all of my client intake forms, and then I was able to go into those forms and improve them in order to take advantage of the technology. I have also copied and modified those forms for individual clients, as needed. Modification and customization is very easy and intuitive for me. These features were much better than some of the very expensive systems I encountered during my search. My clients love the ease-of-use, and that we don't need to spend time on forms or payment during our sessions. They also love receiving appointment reminders (which I send out on their cancelation cutoff day). Some of my clients enjoy using the journaling feature, which allows them to choose whether or not they share an entry with me. I mainly use the system for scheduling, billing, and collecting client intake documents. The integrated scheduling and billing features have been major accounting time savers for me, and having secure credit card storage in the system means that I don't have to worry about billing clients, and I have a way to confirm appointments with credit cards (especially virtual sessions), as well as charge clients for late cancelation, according to my cancelation policy. I still take notes on paper, as I prefer not to be typing during my clinical sessions. However, in order to keep client files as required by law yet manage paper in my office, I have been scanning and uploading closed client files to CounSol as attachments, and then shredding the paper. One downside was that one of the main features I hoped to use when selecting a system was the video chat feature. I have not found that to be reliable. It might be because of my Windows 8 operating system or drivers, but the customer support for that feature was lacking. I have been a user for over 3 years now, so perhaps that has improved along with the other features. Other than that, the system is perfect for me and a major time, money and space saver. I can't imagine life without it now. Thank you!

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility, support.

Cons

Video chat feature and support needs improvement

Kate from Supporting Wellness and Growth

Counsel is fantastic

I am in private practice, and did not want the expense of an office manager. When I found Counsol I was more than excited as it was an office manager, and so much more. I love that we do not have to have paper files, and we no longer have the expense of needing extra storage. All of my fellow practitioners use Counsol and love it. Our clients often remind us how they like that they can book online, cancel and reschedule without having to wait for a call back. It has saved our practice a lot of money and time as it caters to our every need. Thank you Counsol for putting such a great program together. I honestly do not know what we would do without it.

Pros

Booking Online, Invoicing, and that my files are all in one spot

Cons

I think because we are in Canada some of the information does not relate to us across the border. It is also costs more money then other programs I have seen and it would be great if there was a better bundle plan for clinics that have many clinicians. The feedback from my staff has been that when they need assistance or help it has been difficult to get immediate assistance, or no follow through. They end up figuring it out, but it would be nice if there was a call in number for general questions or assistance perhaps.

Katherine from Crossroads Counseling Associates

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great software, but has some glitches.

When I moved to working from home 100%, I was dreading the transition from running cards in the office to completing all billing online, but the process is secure and seemless and clients appreciate being able to do everything from their portal.

Pros

I appreciate the ease of access and navigation to all the important pieces of my client's files. It is so nice to be able to flag forms and change settings to direct clients to required documentation as well as payment setup. Clients enjoy the security of sending messages to me via the portal and I have peace of mind when the notification comes into my email showing a new message can be read. Customizing what each client can access is so helpful and the billing function makes my admin tasks a breeze. So grateful that my rep uploaded all my required forms for me!

Cons

I have contacted my representative about several past billing issues as well as duplicate (at least 6) treatment plans being created. Also, about every other time I send out a welcome message to a new client, they do not receive it until the 2nd or 3rd try. I wish I could access the treatment planning software without having to pay an additional fee. I like the recent update that enables me to select multiple categories for symptoms. I would like to see a feature that when I am closing out a file, if a balance is due, I receive a notification. A closing client status at a glance feature would be helpful too so that I can recall the particulars of why a client was closed out- at least if it was voluntary or involuntary.

Tammy from New Path Counseling, LLC

Therapist Review

I was testing the system in March 2020 when the pandemic hit. I decided to go with the system and it was instrumental for keeping my business going ,as everything was shut down in my state. I have really enjoyed using the system.

Pros

The ease for scheduling, process billing and writing notes. I also enjoy the financial feature where I can view the projected income and the year over year analysis.

Cons

If a client can not locate the email of their appointment reminder, I am unable to send out a new reminder. And the system seems to be a little difficult for new clients to maneuver if we are scheduled for a video session. Also, spell check is lacking, it is not intuitive and there are several words it does not recognize.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

Many of my colleagues were using SimplePractice, but at the time the video feature was either not available or an extra fee which made it not as appealing. TheraNest felt like it was for a much bigger practice and had a feel of a medical practice. TherapyNotes was appealing, but if memory serves me it was lacking the video component. I was testing Counsol when the pandemic hit and so I went with it because it had all the features I needed.

Response from CounSol.com

Replied May 2021

Thank you for taking the time to write your honest review of CounSol.com. The service is cloud based, so the spell check is a browser setting on your end. Please try a different browser if your current browser is not working well. Thanks Thank You CounSol.com Team

Michael from Ujima Counseling Consulting and Coaching LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great overall EHR platform.

Pros

I like that you have the add-on for treatment plans to assist with notes. I love the secure portal/website. I've been able to use that homepage in-lieu of getting my own website with hosting. The customer support has been great when I've utilized it. I will be in contact with them again as I work towards utilizing all of the features effectively.

Cons

There is a learning curve with using the platform. It does get easier the more you use it. I do need to invest some more time in it personally so I can fully utilize what its capable of. The overall look and user interface could be updated to be more appealing. It could appear to look outdated compared to newer platforms.

Reasons for Choosing CounSol.com

I chose CounSol over the alternatives because at the time CounSol was one of the few that had video conferencing included within the EHR. I also like how CounSol had its own website/secure client portal for you to use. That was more on the innovative side at the time. I've used them since early 2019.

Holly from C.A.T.S. LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Best value you will find, ease of use and the additional text message reminders are worth it alone!

I have been using CounSol for a few years now and it has made my life so much easier. Online scheduling, the ability to have clients complete their forms prior to their intake appointment speeds things up. Also the ability to track everything; progress notes are easier, forms are easier, filing is easier. This was our first venture away from paper files and I can honestly say I have been more than impressed. There are a few things I would still like to see first and foremost the ability to have more than one clinician on a single account. I am a small agency whom employs another counselor only part time so all of the entering and tracking on the system still has to be done by me; the account owner. Also, you are assigned a single account manager -where I could see could be very beneficial. However, sometimes I feel the one I have been assigned isn't always the most professional or courteous. I have taken to making my requests on their help page if I absolutely cannot find the answer under FAQ's. Overall, however; this is a wonderful program and has helped my business keep up in the world of technology. My clients love the text message and email reminders about appointments and for the price you won't find anything better!!

Pros

Ease of use. Ability to have clients complete paperwork ahead of time, text message reminders, ability to send announcements to all clients, how organized it keeps my files, ease of progress notes

Cons

Inability to have multiple counselors on one account and being supplied only one account manager, could be fantastic but I am slightly intimidated by mine and don't know how to switch

Clifton from CH Fuller & Associates

Industry: Mental Health Care

CounSol is excellent HIPAA-compliant program for mental health providers

Increased ability to track income (daily, weekly, monthly, custom dates). Increased ability to allow new clients to register easily with all paperwork completed ahead of scheduling an appointment.

Pros

We have used it since 1/2018 and continue to enjoy its ease of use, ability for clients to schedule 24/7, and our ability to track income. We've made recommendations and CounSol team reviewed and implemented several, which we appreciated (such as Happy Birthday notices to clients). Clients submit complete intakes online prior to the session, secure pmt billing info (that we or our staff don't keep or have access to but 3rd party encrypted site manages). That translates into more actual counseling time with clients and payment for sessions at the beginning of each day (& notification if payment didn't go thru so client is contacted for updated info, that is verified, prior to their session. The video and phone counseling links are excellent, as is the ability for clients to schedule weeks in advance. Multiple methods of reminders send 24, 36 or 48 hrs prior to sessions (text, email and automated voice) which clients can select as to notifications they prefer. Great support team who respond immediately or within hours. This program has improved the operations of our practice greatly!

Cons

The only negative we'd have is that setting up the forms (intakes) doesn't allow choice of font size, so the intakes are more pages than we'd like, due to font and layout spacing that we are unable to change. Other than that...we're very happy with the program and have recommended it to other mental health professionals we know.

Mary from Mary E Rich LLC

Love new updates

Benefits for scheduling and intake forms and billing.

Pros

Scheduling features. Reminders to client which they can choose preferences. New options and updates have been thoughtful to users and clients. Customer service is fast efficient effective and empathetic

Cons

Inability to have 2 emails for divorced parents that do not agree to share one log in. However, with new update news this was explained why it is not recommended to have two users for same client.

Ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to CounSol.com

Too many directives of how to do my practice

Dee from Crowspeak, LLC

Great business asset!

Pros

While I have been using parts of Counsol.com's features for many years, when the Covid-19 was coming at us like a train, I had to completely change my approach to providing my clients the support services they needed. I was able to pack up my practice, move out of my town office and reconstitute my practice at home, LITERALLY OVERNIGHT. Paper systems that I had had in place for 20 years had to be replaced with electronic systems. New paperwork had to be uploaded overnight for clients to sign. The only things that didn't change were me and the dog in the office. Without Counsol.com's multiple features and amazing support staff, I could not have provided uninterrupted services to my clients. WELL DONE COUNSOL.COM!

Cons

The change in accounting programs was the most challenging and nerve-wracking part. Nobody likes to have uncertainty about their finances, especially when it involves keeping track of insurance submissions, adopting a whole new payment system, and a change in software that you have to master quickly. While Counsol.com's system and my brain were clearly on different pages, the support staff was SO PATIENT and HELPFUL and RESPONSIVE to my pleas for help and easily untangled several issues that resulted from my insufficient understanding of how to use the accounting software. It would be helpful to have training videos on how to use the accounting features.