Browse Owl Practice Reviews

Organizes Private Practice

Great software for private practice, especially if you are also employed elsewhere at the same time. Having to run your own business while working at a schoolboard can be hectic, but this software allows you to be organized and manage your client caseload more efficiently than if you were to do it all yourself.

Pros

This software is a one-stop shop for all your private practice needs. It schedules, creates invoices, sends appointment reminders, stores files and case notes, all within privacy guidelines. Many of us in private practice are small businesses and do not have a secretary. This software functions similar to what an administrative assistant would do for you. It is easy to use, and even has a mobile app version which allows you to access your calendar on the main screen of your phone (it de-identifies client information too!)

Cons

It is subscription-based, having to pay for it monthly/annually is not as desirable as just paying once for it. However, the software is constantly being updated with suggestions by actual psychologists and private clinicians - so being able to access the most up-do-date version is a plus despite having to pay monthly/annually for it.

Kim from Riverdale Centre Psychologcial Services

OWL for Psychology Private Practice

The use of OWL has been a very positive addition to my practice. It has been invaluable particularly in the world of the COVID-19 pandemic as it has allowed for more electronic/virtual services, forms, and record-keeping. The customer service team is very responsive to questions and comments for improvements.

Pros

I started using OWL Practice to move my practice to electronic record keeping. This system allows for good note-taking options regarding client files. I was concerned with privacy and information staying within Canada which is a key feature I considered when selecting OWL. I appreciate this system was designed specifically for mental health practices as opposed to medicine-based options I have used in the past.

Cons

Forms - being able to send forms through Owl is a great feature. It has taken some time to get used to how to create forms. Some of the features I would like to see added: - option for classification of a session as tentatively booked for a client so it can be held in my calendar without. - I have avoided using appointment reminders as I often use 'bookings' in the calendar to block off sections of time for client management/report writing. I wish there was a way to designate something that is linked to a client, but not a session that will send reminders/confirmations to clients.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Security - information stays in Canada Jane - wasn't as popular at the time when I started using Owl.

Olga from Sparrow Creative Counselling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Please include group video!

Just that it's so streamlined - that's been helpful! It keeps me organized and is generally pretty user-friendly for clients.

Pros

All of the features - that you can invoice clients, collect a payment, store notes, etc. all in one place. Customer service is phenomenal too!

Cons

I have a hard time with the video functions - that there is no option for group video, and when I try to do supervision where my supervisee is playing a video clip of a session on their computer, I can't hear it!!! At times the video glitches for no apparent reason - I had a session last week where for some reason, we could not hear each other for a few minutes. My supervisees are understanding, but it's a real bother to have to sort through video glitches like that. And setting up a group call for individuals who aren't in a family is frustrating! So much behind the scenes work for me to register them all, link the accounts, make a separate event just for the video session and individual ones for each of their invoices.... oy. It would be good to have more editing features for the forms too. AND to send certain forms out automatically the morning of an appointment! Like the COVID screenings - I would love to have that go directly to the client on the morning of a scheduled appointment so that I don't have to think about it and remember to send it myself. AND more options for note-taking that aren't just writing. I am an art therapist and working with children and youth. I also use play interventions a lot. It would be nice to have a case note that's more versatile with checkboxes and other features where you can include a photo right on the same page.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

My colleague was using Owl, so I figured if I needed support I could easily ask her for it. However, I am going to be exploring Jane App too this afternoon, as they offer a free account to institutions for student interns (which is my other job, to supervise, teach and oversee an internship program at a University) so I will get a chance to try Jane App as well and see if it's more versatile. Some of my colleagues claim it's more user-friendly than Owl.

Olivia from Compass Counselling

On balance, good enough to keep using, but customer service needs work

Meets my needs now, but I would have left them months ago out of anger at their service if it weren't such a hassle to switch.

Pros

The functionality is good and has been improving over the last year.

Cons

Months after switching, they suddenly stopped supporting my device. It took them a month to fix the issue. I had to buy a new device for my business to function. When I asked for a one month credit on my user fee, they refused, saying that it was accessible during that time (but I don't consider suddenly requiring a desktop computer and a corded connection accessible in this decade). It was a cold response from a company that had initially been very welcoming (before they had me dependent on them).

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Appeared to have better service and I didn't need all of the features of Jane that make Owl less expensive

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

Offered Canadian privacy compliance and encrypted video functionality plus practice management. Also, support appeared to be much friendlier and more helpful in the beginning.

Liana from Liana Rose Counselling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Some super helpful features, ease of use isn't always high

It took me a long time to set it up and feel like I had a handle on things. For main functions, it works, but when I need to make deeper changes (like services with different fees, changing details within a client profile), I'm always floundering.

Pros

As a mental health practitioner working with partners and groups, I appreciate that OWL automatically links clients and **copies notes made in one chart into the charts of the other members of the therapy group.

Cons

It isn't always intuitive to find the functions I want, or make changes to existing sessions. There is a strong "tree" organization to the major sections, without pathways to access different sections without "traveling back along each branch toward the trunk" so that you can "travel along another branch." I hope that metaphor makes sense! It feels very linear in this way and often interrupts flow. I also find that certain functions along a theme will be located in different places, making it confusing. For example, not all scheduling or services changes are made in the same area. I find there are many sneaky buttons within windows! The creation of forms feels a bit clunky and, for lack of a better descriptor, old. And viewing of forms that clients have filled out is often limited. I can't "view" client forms and see their entire answers - I have to download the form, which I would otherwise choose to not do. ****The self-guided help guide is TERRIBLE. Searching help articles by keyword yields MANY results, many of which seem to be totally unrelated.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Integrated secure video function, which turned out to be less quality than using Zoom (which I didn't realize would be secure enough for confidential therapy). Now I use Zoom exclusively. I also use Jane for another clinic I work with, and appreciate the flow and aesthetic. I also appreciate the integration of credit card payments with automatic receipts mailed to the client.

Liz from Liz Phillips Therapy

Streamlined practice administration

OWL has been a game changer for my practice administratively. The customer service is second to none! I love them! They are responsive, friendly, and accessible.

Pros

This software has given my clients the ability to book themselves into sessions, which means less tetris for me! That capability freed up so much more time for me to do other things and stopped scheduling mistakes. The ability to for clients to also fill out therapy agreement forms that then auto populate in their profile in the system also made a huge difference! Having everything in one place for me and my clients has removed time and effort headaches. I love OWL!

Cons

I have been working with OWL to develop things I that would be helpful for therapists: such as drop-down menu templates for session notes.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Because of the personal care I got from the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. He made sure I understood the product and was open to feedback. He has trained his employees to do the same.

DAn from Serene Living Counselling

Best Choice for Psychotherapy Practice Management

This has eased our electronic records management tremendously. We are big fans of the integrated forms and assessments.

Pros

The tool is well set up to manage the practice (although we do not use the billing functions) and the integration of video was timely and important. We also really appreciate the integration of the psychometric assessments.

Cons

It gets pricey as you add therapists and in particular part time therapists or interns. Also we find clients who have a gmail address do not receive any forms we send them through Owl.

See above.

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

Better design and geared to our industry specifically.

Absolutely essential for private practitioners

Owl's been fantastic; an absolute necessity for me within my practice. Invoicing is quick and easy, and I love that it comes with a therapist listing site.

Pros

I can do everything through one piece of software: billing, records management, note-taking, client scheduling, and more.

Cons

For the most part, my experience with Owl has been positive. The only thing that I found difficult was setting my supervisor up to have access to my account. This process could maybe be a bit less complicated. It would also be great if there was a split-screen option so that I could have two sections open simultaneously. Otherwise, can't really think of anything I've needed or wanted from Owl that hasn't already been included.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Cost, I think. And it seemed to be better known amongst my peers.

Nathan from Block House Counselling Services

Makes Running my Practice a Breeze

Pros

The software is user friendly and intuitive. It doesn’t take long to get used to how to do things and OWL Customer Service representatives are fast at responding if you have any problems.

Cons

There are some minor things missing that would make the platform even better but not much has been changed in this regard in the two years I’ve used it. I’ve submitted user feedback but no changes have been made.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

The pricing was slightly better. That was the main reason!

Krista from Krista Huyer

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Essential

This made my business sky rocket in regard to organization, professionalism and making my life easier!

Pros

Absolutely essential to running my business and has allowed me to stay organized! I love having all the features at my fingertips that I need to keep things running- such as video, online booking, forms, notes, invoices etc. Could not survive without this. I find it much more user friendly than its competition. I'm also a sucker for the fun colours you can create on your calendar.

Cons

I don't find customer service is always super helpful. There are some simple things I really need to run my business that OWL has not established yet. Such as, allowing families to create an account with multiple people attached to their file. Sometimes I am seeing two members of a family and they need seperate names on the invoices but OWL only provides one account for each individual and I can't change the names. I also wish I had more ability to change info that needs to be on my invoices- such as client names etc.

Lexi from Bespoke Counselling & Psychotherapy

A Solid CANADIAN Practice Management Company

Pros

Customer service reps, across the board have not only been helpful, they have been a friendly lifeline when navigating through the more advanced features that OWL has on board. I have found it fairly easy and intuitive to navigate through the basic features that have allowed me to get started with the program. However, when dealing with the more advanced features, I have found the learning curve much steeper and more complex. The OWL customer service representatives have all been very patient and helpful, without exception. I LOVE the Workflow section!!! It has rescued me from billing oversights that could have easily slipped by without detection when I've been extremely busy. I LOVE the way that I can amend my billing amounts, right down to the minute when a session ends early, or runs overtime. The program automatically calculates the difference, right down to the penny! To my knowledge, no other practice management program offers this very helpful feature.

Cons

I wish that I had more control over what goes into the subject lines of emails that are sent to patients in relation to invoices and receipts, etc. For instance: please allow me to put "Invoice" or "Receipt" into the subject line, as opposed to my name and credentials and/or the name of my mental health practice that automatically shows up in the subject line. The way it stands now, automatically placing such overtly identifying information into the subject line renders the email less private for my clients. I have written numerous requests in relation to more control over email subject lines, but so far nothing has been amended.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

I looked at another practice management program recently on the suggestion of a colleague. I found that OWL has most of the features that this other program offers. The program I reviewed is designed for a wide range of practitioners (including Physiotherapy, Chiropractor, Dentist, etc.) and so there are a lot of features that I don't need as a therapist, but these extra features create a lot of "noise" in the overall interface. I found them to be incredibly distracting. I am happy with the features that OWL offers because they are designed with a mental health therapist in mind.

Janine from Phoenix Counselling & Psychological Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Streamlined (and makes the daily work I do a little easier)

Overall, the platform is good. I can operate my practice without admin support (using online booking and accounting features).

Pros

Everything is in one place (bookings, video therapy sessions, payments, accounting, etc). It makes it so I (who has no office admin experience) can run my practice without admin assistance/bookkeeper. It is getting easier and easier to use/understand as I encounter difficulties/make mistakes and "learn as I go".

Cons

I would like to have more options or understanding of how to delete/modify receipts, payments, attendance, etc. Sometimes I simply hit the wrong button and things get really messed up and it takes a long time to figure out how to rectify. Also, more compatibility with Apple users interface. I hate talking to a black screen, which often happens to Apple users (although they can see me?). I try to walk them through how to rectify the problem, but seems to no avail. The success with Apple users accessing is inconsistent. Some get through, some dont. I think it depends on how tech-savvy they are, which would suggest things could be more user-friendly? Also, the system often freezes or loses connection with certain users during sessions. I frequently have to pivot to phone session when tech issues happen, as the time it takes to rectify them interest with the hour time limit to sessions. The fees that Stripe payment system take are a bit high, but I do like the convenience of it... I get that it's the cost of doing business but is still not preferable.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Canadian company/server; developed with psychology practice in mind.

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

Was using OWL for all other business operations, but there was no video option at the time of my pivoting to virtual delivery of sessions. I ended my use of doxy.me when OWL's video platform launched.

Charlotte from Positive Space Consulting

Almost there

I love using Owl, and I have had a pretty decent experience. The occasional glitch and things going down are really inconvenient- but understandable.  I really HATE that I can't call Owl, but that they you have to email them and then wait for them to call you back- only if you request it. This needs improvement for sure!

Pros

I love the all of the features and the ease of invoicing and sending receipts. My clients like the ability to use the portal and to book their own appointments. I also like the ability to be able to send measures to clients.

Cons

It would be great to be able to share files through the Chat feature. It would be great to be able to create a setting to automatically charge a 'no show' fee. Right now I have to go into the 'more info' tab and change the cost of the session, then change the setting to 'no show'.  The availability feature is really overcomplicated and not effective- it can be really confusing between the generic and specific.  It would be helpful to add into the measure feature the ability to interpret the scores. Right now it just gives you a random number and it's up to the clinician to understand what that means. It would be VERY helpful to add integrations give some results or meaning behind the scores (even including a pdf with the information on how to interpret it).  Also when transferring information from one practice using owl to another - I was shocked to find out that the data doesn't translate and input into the correct allocations in the client's file. It simply remains as 'documents' that the clinician has to sort through to find any data. Integrating this would also be a game changer.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Because it's specifically for Mental Health Clinicians, the measures feature and the  price.

Spencer from Spencer N Psychotherapy

Choosing Owl

This software has been excellent to integrate everything that I need for my practice.

Pros

The editor for notes feels much more user friendly than most EMR software. The ability to have secure communication with clients inside the portal. Using the integrated video software. And the reminders that are automatically sent to clients.

Cons

The notes will oddly revert mid-typing to a smaller font and different font from the font that was selected. I often have to spend time editing the note at the end of session around this formatting.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

There were video glitches with OnCall health when I was testing the software. The Jane software felt too clinical and EMR like.

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

When the video software was integrated I dropped Doxy.me and I used Jane in my group practice which I left. However, I did receive competitive pricing which I'm considering (15 dollars less a month).

Katherine from New Growth Counselling

Highly Recommended

I recommend this product to everyone. I save time and therefore money, feel supported, and efficiently manage my small counselling business. Thank you.

Pros

I LOVE this software. The platform is: - intuitive and easy to use; - it meets ALL of our administrative needs from client notes to billing to video calling; - I use it easily between devices; the client online portal offers our clients more autonomy (and saves us time) and is user friendly for all levels of comfort with technology; - the secure online platform offers a secure platform for communication which is already documented in the software; - the ability to download spreadsheets for accounting; - and most important of all, to me, is the costumer service is fabulous! Since having OWL I estimate saving at least 5 hours a month of scheduling and billing time, so very much worth the cost.

Cons

Owl Practice seems to always be improving their software. Since using OWL I have thought a few times, hmmm, I wish they had _____ and either: 1) I get an email saying they've added ______ or 2) I've emailed them and they say, It's coming or good idea, and shortly the update happens. Currently, I would like to see the option of clients being added to a cancellation list so they get a notification if there is a cancellation.

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

I was using a variety of products and I switched to Owl because they could do it all. Life is so much easier now.

Danielle from Bloom Psychology Clinic

Industry: Mental Health Care

OWL does it all -- you will not be disappointed

Pros

I selected Owl because it has all the features I need as a clinician in private practice. Online record keeping, client scheduling, reminder emails/texts, invoicing and billing, secure messaging, questionnaire measures...Owl does it all. I like that all of these systems are integrated. Owl saves myself and my admin assistant several hours a week. I also appreciate the high level of security offered, the responsiveness of the tech support team and that it is a Canadian company.

Cons

While the software works very well, I would say some features are not as user friendly as they could be, especially on the client end (on the clinician end it works great!). For example I have heard from some clients that it is difficult to navigate the client portal. To figure out how to sign in, to find the clinician's availability, etc.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

I chose Owl over JaneApp because Owl is better designed for a mental health practitioner. I also appreciated the responsiveness of the tech team -- several features that I have requested have been added to the system. For this reason I feel that Owl will grow with my needs, whereas I was not sure Jane would be able to do so.

Wyn from Healing Emotions and Relationship Therapy

Awesome Product

I don't have anything to compare Owl to as I started with Owl when I opened my business. I am quite happy with how I don't have huge paper files to keep track of and that invoicing and receipts are automatically generated. That in itself saves me a LOT of time!

Pros

This software is easy to learn and use. The developers are always adding more features based on feedback from users, so I feel like my experience really matters!

Cons

I use my own templates for notes. It took a bit of getting used to not having full control over how the word-like part of the program works. As an example, it automatically gives you spaces between paragraphs when you hit enter. I don't always want 2 spaces. The things I don't like are minor though, and don't really cause issues for me.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

When I did a search, I looked for a Canadian company and Owl was at the top of the list. I really liked how responsive the customer service was to my questions during my free trial, so didn't go anywhere else.

Alena from Alena Strauss Personal and Career Counselling

This software rocks

My experience has been very positive and the fact that it was developed here in Ontario by someone knowledgeable about the practice of psychology and the demands of confidentiality as well as the learning challenges of someone not tech savvy has been invaluable. Personal shoutout and thank you to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who has been very responsive over the years.

Pros

I started using this product a number of years ago and both I and the product have grown together. The first plus is the amount of time it saved me. So many valuable functions in one program-scheduling, invoicing, account records and now video calls with client and testing. And the digital records are also a plus.

Cons

I'm a sole practitioner so there aren't a lot of functions that I need that are missing. Actually as a not tech savvy person its hard to imagine what I need until they develop it. My only complaint is that some features added make things a bit more complex but I'm good.

Stefanie from Peachey Social Work Professional Corporation

OWL for group practice

Great- user friendly, easy set up. I haven't needed too much tech support and when I do, responses and fast

Pros

OWL has been very useful for my group practice. It functions well for client records and bookings. I wish it were more helpful for employees and taxes but this is an excellent program.

Cons

I wish that it would track HST better and allow for some accounting functions.

Other's recommended it

Kelvin from NewVista Psychology & Counselling Services

Functionality and Ease of Use

So far, so good. I understand that software needs to go through continuous improvements/enhancements (such as those stated in the 'Cons' section), but overall, we are happy with OWL.

Pros

1. Easy to keep the business centralized, and it automates what we other-wise would have to do manually. 2. Easy to use once you get used to it 3. Great customer support in answering queries

Cons

There's a couple of areas of improvement - specific functionalities that need to be improved: 1. the video feature is well behind other platforms, such as Zoom. This needs to be greatly improved. Even though we are using the Video functionality on a 6 month trial, many of our therapists are using Zoom as OWL's video functionality is lacking 2. Circle of care (Linked accounts): Everyone (i.e. clients) should receive alerts; linked accounts in Circle of Care circumvents this as only the "primary" client receives the alert; that is a big oversight! 3. Forms we send to clients often end up in their junk folders, so we spend a lot of time "resending and chasing clients" for the forms. A good work around would be a "Copy Link" button next to the form so that one could easily copy the link to the form(s), and email them to the clients from our own domain email 4. Limitations with payment processing choices. One can only use Stripe. Other platforms, such as Jane App, provide 3 to 4 options to chose from

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

1. User interface seemed a lot easier/more intuitive 2. Recommended by another therapist that used Jane App and then switched to OWL

Ashley from Bay View Therapy Centre

Ashley review of owl

Overall pretty good, sometime video doesn’t work.

Pros

I like the quality of the video platform, it is much better the Jane. I also like how there are so many measures that can be sent to clients and how easy it was to create intake forms. Scheduling and finance section are also user friendly and help to keep track of payments. Lastly the stripe connection is great for accepting credit cards safely.

Cons

In Jane you can create surveys that get sent automatically to clients before their appt. due to COVID I send a screener form prior to the appointment. I wish Owl practice would find a way to send automatically like jane does to reduce my admin time.

Cathryn Mary from CHG Psychotherapuy

Vital to my practice..

I am saving time and the integrated system my clients really like. I am not using it to the full potential given o find set up information unclear and some basic info not available. This has left me still using old methods like sending forms via email or zoom for clients accessing an online appointment from 2 different locations. This also means additional costs.

Pros

I love the hours I have save with the accounting details of my practice. The integrated system especially now with the client portal and the video application have proved invaluable.

Cons

It is not as intuitive as I would like. For example I still cod not know how to book two people in 2 different locations onto the same video call. There is no avail description on how to do this. There is info about the calander and the ability to book linked clients but not how to book a video session for 2 .

Abigail from A caring space counselling centre

Thank you Owl!

Excellent experience and great customer service!

Pros

Very very helpful to keep my practice on track and my billing and my notes organized.

Cons

Steep learning curve! Took me a fair bit to figure out all the various pieces and am still learning

Recommended to me.

Kendell from Centre for Restorative Mental Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

Can't imagine private practice without it

I have had a great experience with Owl so far. Whenever I have questions, the support team has been prompt, kind, and helpful.

Pros

I love that Owl allows me to schedule, bill, document, and track financials. My entire practice exists on Owl - I don't need additional software or files. I appreciate that my files are securely stored on Owl and not taking up space in my filing cabinet or on my computer. I also really like the workflow (has a list of unfinished notes, overdue accounts, etc) and dashboard features (shows month by month and year by year financial trends).

Cons

I have found it difficult to set up groups in Owl. I would also love it if Owl included a way to track expenses.

Natalie from Michel Psychology

Very happy overall

Pros

Well suited for clinicians who see couples, or families. Appreciate that you can use previous notes as a template for future notes. Very easy to charge clients directly through the software.

Cons

A bit pricey relative to other similar practice management softwares.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Ease of use when charting for couples. Ability to adjust formatting of notes.

Lynda from Lynda Martens

Industry: Mental Health Care

Comprehensive and user friendly!

I had separate platforms for booking appts online, for video therapy, for invoicing, and I had a file cabinet for records. OWL allows me quick and simple access to ALL of these features though one system. I will never have to search for a file again!

Pros

The client portal, where my clients can easily book appts, see their appts, see their invoices, message me, see information updates and much more, is SO valuable. When I first saw a demonstration, I thought it looked complex, but it's super easy to use and very intuitive. I LOVE owl.

Cons

They take suggestions for improvement well. I'd like a more pleasant waiting experience for my clients (virtual therapy), and I'd like a way to prevent clients on a waitlist from booking certain services. They tell me these are on their list of changes to consider.

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

Thera-LINK was a good platform for video sessions, but it had none of the other features, plus it wasn't up to Canadian standards regarding privacy.

Barbara from BB PPC

Great program but costly

Pros

I find the format and features generally very easy to use, once the set-up is in place. The validated tools, secure messaging, and online booking are great aspects! Billing / receipting is easy, and tracking workflow is helpful. Help support people are responsive.

Cons

I would love to see the capacity to video sessions. Their pricing is quite a lot higher than other similar programs, particularly if you're a group practice, so had I known this prior to expanding, I would have gone with Jane. Facing transfering my clients over seems daunting at this point.

Uresha from Uresha salgafo

Life Changer

Amazing!!!!

Pros

It’s has made so many of the daily functions easier, quicker and more reliable. I save so much time and it helps me stay organized and efficient. The new handwritten notes have saved me hours of time and allows me to be creative with what I can include in a note. I couldn’t never go back to a time when I didn’t use Owl Practice.

Cons

There were some features that took me a little bit of time to learn but he support staff are so great, that these were learned or resolved quickly.

Lindsay from Lindsay Malleck counselling and psychotherapy

Lindsay’s review

Pros

I like the usability and that it makes billing so easy

Cons

Some features a little burried. Shared screen doesn’t work.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Because had used at a placement before

Amy from Amy Lupiano Counselling & Psychotherapy

Always happy

I'm totally happy with Owl Practice. Their customer service is awesome and super quick. And the software itself makes the part of my job that I like the least (the admin side) somewhat bearable :)

Pros

I love how its so simple and straightforward to send a client their invoice and/or receipt. I don't have to worry about keeping track of payments etc. Huge timesaver!

Cons

I've been happy with everything I've attempted to do so far - it's all been great!

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Owl came highly recommended and it has not disappointed!

Cathryn from Bayridge Counselling Centres

Industry: Mental Health Care

All the things you need, all in one place

Pros

What is most valuable are all the integrated features on one platform. The customer service in customizing the platform for our needs has been excellent, and the quick access to technical help and answers to questions has also been great. I love that I can use my pen and tablet to write progress notes if I wish.

Cons

The video platform is the weakest link. While it is helpful to just click on the icon in the calendar to start the video session, on the client end it is difficult to navigate, and it also doesn't have the features of other video platforms. I am sticking with Zoom until it improves.

Melissa from Red Oak Psychotherapy

A one stop shop to simplify your life!

Pros

I love that this software was made specifically for my industry and is constantly evolving along side the needs of the community.

Cons

In comparison to other software, such as Jane, I find the overall look and feel of Owl to be lacking. I am also not particularly fond of the client portal which, despite having a number of wonderful features, is simply not as robust or eye-catching as some other programs. I know aesthetics are not everything but I think clients tend to drawn to things that look organized and easy to navigate.

Ruth from Ruth M Strunz Counselling & Psychotherap

Satisfied customer

My business has grown and become incredibly efficient, by using OWL. I would never use another product!

Pros

The BEST part about OWL is their extraordinary customer service team - they are responsive, clear, personable....truly outstanding!

Cons

Occasionally I have difficulty with understanding how to do something - but their customer service folks always guide me through!

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Easier to understand, both in writing and on video, for an "older" user!

Tori from Capstone Counselling

Streamlined my practice

With the added video option being an add on cost it is costly (as I am part-time but need slightly more than the hours allowed for part-time user.

Pros

It is an all-in-one software. Everything I need is in one place and accessible from any where. It looks professional and helps keep my administrative tasks streamlined.

Cons

There is a lack of office friendly options regarding notes for meetings, etc.

Sheri from Leaside Therapy Centre

Owl is great.

I love love love it.

Pros

It is easy to use and the company is very receptive to new suggestions. They are great at answering questions and concerns in a timely manner. The integrated credit card option has been so helpful during the pandemic.

Cons

The video component is not as user friendly as other systems.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Because the servers were housed in Canada.

Renee from ReNu Counselling & Psychotherapy

Solid product

Overall my experience has been good with Owl Practice.

Pros

Owl is a user-friendly platform that allows me to manage my caseload, sessions, and finances with little to no need of external software.

Cons

Adjusting billing when a stripe payment is taken has been a pain. The quality of video sessions when a client's internet is unstable could also see some improvements so there isn't need to switch to Zoom (possible optimization for low bandwidth). The pricing however after the trial ended is quite costly and has me considering other options for future use of similar functions

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

I had used it before when I was doing a placement and the trial cost was more competitive

Jesse from Tall Tree Psychology

Satisfied customer

Pros

-Integration of multiple tools in one software (only need one software to run my practice) -Excellent customer service, staff is very responsive and integrate comments/suggestions regularly -Compliant with regulations (ex.: PHIPA), peace of mind

Cons

-Currently no option to run group therapy via videoconference -No option to adjust late cancel fees (defaults to price per session, which for a lot of clinicians is not the same price as the late cancel fee, have to adjust manually every time)

Amanda from Amanda Rocheleau, RSW * Counselling and Consulting Services

Very satisfied customer

So essential to my practice! So grateful for it especially the video feature!

Pros

I have loved Owl from the start. It was a quick learning curve with amazing customer support to help get me all set up. I now use all the features with ease. My whole practice is on this software and I couldn't imagine running a practical ice without it.

Cons

One feature that would be helpful is calendar sharing both ways. In otherwords, meetings that are added to my Google calendar also get up loaded to my owl calendar.

Jo-Anne from Healing Hearts Psychotherapy

At last...

I am more organized than ever and I have gone completely paperless which for me is absolutely huge. Thank you Owl!

Pros

I love the ease of use of this product. I love that I can do everything I need to do from this one place. I have cut down the amount of time I spend on the administrative components of my practice. I love that I can take notes while I am on a video call and send out the invoice within seconds of finishing up the session and my note taking. I also love that I can access all the stats I want at the click of a button. I really appreciate all the measurements that are available for use and that they are instantly computed.

Cons

I am hoping that soon the capability to mute the sound of my typing while taking notes will be an option. I find that my questions are always responded to quickly but sometimes I would prefer to talk to someone who can help me rather than only have email responses as a mode of communication.

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

Didn't offer me all the options that Owl does.

M Sharon from Dr. Sharon Armstrong

Mostly love Owl Practice

For the most part, my experience with Owl Practice has been excellent!

Pros

The bookkeeping aspects are excellent for me. I am happy that everything is available, including the client portal, all on one site. It is important to me that it is compliant with privacy legislation and our college. It is also important that the server is in Canada. I am very happy with the quick turnaround when I have a question or a problem.

Cons

1. Whenever I have to do something new that I haven't done before, I usually can't find what I'm looking for in the programme and I end up having to contact the help folks - who are awesome, but perhaps this could use more tweaking so that the whole programme becomes more user friendly. 2. Using the word-processing system to write my notes is very annoying! I like to use a larger font than the default and I'm unable to make that change once in the document. It keeps reverting the next line to the small default text size.

Krystal from Family Hope Counselling and Training Centre Inc.

Excellent Resource

This software eliminated the need to hire an administrative assistant.

Pros

Owl Practice was everything I needed to start my business with the highest standard of professionalism. Managing client data, auto invoicing and receipting, and the scheduling calendar are perfect!

Cons

It takes a bit of time (1-2 weeks daily) to learn all the features and use with ease. Worth it!

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Customer service, introductory rate, slick design and look.

Laura from Laura Mayo Counselling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent program for people in private practice

Very good. Customer service is supportive, reliable and always helpful in solving problems.

Pros

Everything is in one space and you can access functions from different points (e.g main tab or client’s file). Once you learn, it is straight forward. Customer service is excellent.

Cons

Learning how to use the different functions is a steep learning curve. I still haven’t learned how to create forms well and use the macros. It is not intuitive to me.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

Recommended to me by a friend.

Risa from Dr. Risa Adams

Everything is Easy

Pros

Elegant design, integrated features make it easy to keep everything in one place. I love the automatic reminders, and the ability to have forms filled out securely.

Cons

There isn't a prescription feature (for those that issue Rxs)

Becka from Andrea Warnick Consulting

Great Support, Fine System, Expensive for Group Practice Users

Pros

It is fairly intuitive, has some handy features and the tech team is always available and helpful

Cons

video therapy feature is quite unreliable, the system is not set up well to accommodate family clients

victoria from Pivot Psychotherapy Services

A few recommendations but very happy overall

Time is saved as a result of not having to use a separate invoicing system. I know my clinical records are secure and meeting CRPO and privacy laws. The messaging system gives me peace of mind as well. Online booking is a nice feature. Overall I am happy with the system. I have also never used another system so I have little to compare it to.

Pros

It is an easy and intuitive software to use. I enjoy how comprehensive the features are. The invoicing is super easy. I also really appreciate the client portal, appointment reminders etc as well as the clinical measures and use them alot.

Cons

The forms have been tricky to create and time-consuming, the clinical measures don't offer a means to interpret the score- I have to google this witch takes extra time. There isn't a group video option yet. What really got me was the increase in price when I upgraded to the package with the most features. The cost increased significantly which is more expensive than other software like Jane. I would love to see the Client Portal have more options to customize in terms of graphics and additional fonts and colours.

Michael from Waxman Counselling and Consulting

Pros

It's very easy to use and very intuitive. Great response to customer needs. Changes and updates reflect the needs of the work. Customer service is amazing.

Cons

None at this time

Shlomo from Shlomo Radcliffe Counselling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great practice management software!

It has been overall great. Customer support has been a huge strength!

Pros

Easy, all in one solution. Saves me time!

Cons

Technically it can be a bit clunky sometimes.

Jennifer from Jennifer Houston's Counselling Services

Highly recommend

This program has minimized my time spent booking appointments and sending invoices. It allows my practice to feel so organized with all consent / confidiality forms emailed to clients and uploaded to their account. It also provides you with many many assessment forms and the ability to create your own forms ( such as a covid form to send to clients)

Pros

OWL is a program that is very user friendly and without the glitches that other programs have shown to have. If you do excel at technology, this is an a user friendly program that will allow you to do the work you need to do.

Cons

I have used OWL for approximately 2 months. I have yet to encounter a con to the program.

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

I was with Jane when working with a third party referral source. I switched to OWL for my own practice because OWL is so user friendly and not glitchy and temperamental.

Kelsey from Hanson Consulting

Good customer service

Generally a great product, especially for me in part time private practice

Pros

Anytime I have an issue or question customer service gets back to me. They do not have a phone number to call though. It is all email based. All my notes are stored securely as physical file storage is a challenge

Cons

I would love to see a way to add notes by clicking a picture of my handwritten note.

Reasons for Choosing Owl Practice

It was a long time ago I looked at options, this had the best price for private practice.

Jennifer from Juniper Counselling Centre

Industry: Mental Health Care

Owl has been a great support to our mental health practice

-secure video, payroll, online booking

Pros

-online booking -client forms to be completed electronically -secure video platform -client reminders -ease of client payment (adding credit card)

Cons

-inability to put a maximum on number of clients who can book per day on my online calendar -difficulties with having more than one client join a session

Can't remember

Reasons for Switching to Owl Practice

Needed a platform that did both payment and scheduling