Browse TherapyNotes Reviews

Madison (Madi) from Creatively Thriving LLC/ EMDR & Beyond

Phenomenal Customer Care!

Therapy Notes consistently provides me with excellent customer service, quick solutions, and supportive information. I have easily gained more in value than the monthly expense, and it is with a great ease of mind that I use them to support myself and my clients. Thanks for all your hard work!

Pros

+Quick Responses +User friendly +Flexible +Easy to learn +Receptive to feedback

Cons

-Cost (but still worth it) -No tele-health/online therapy options or direct client scheduling (yet)

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

The easy to use interface allowed for a quick transition to private practice, which made one less stressor on my plate. Greatly appreciated! I also valued the service providers, especially Heather, for helping me to navigate billing in a prompt and manageable way!

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied January 2020

Thanks for the glowing review! There actually is client self scheduling. Call us and we will wall you through setting it up. Thank you!

LaTania from Hopeful Expectations Counseling

Always Great Customer Service

My experience is phenomenal, please keep up the great work!!!

Pros

I am so happy to report that this year I do not have to update my paperwork and load it into Therapy Notes. Yayyyy!!! TN has recently updated the library to include everything that I need as a clinician. This makes me very happy. Every time that I call they are always friendly and helpful. They know exactly how to help me and they never make me feel bad about not knowing how to navigate some areas within TN. They always follow up with an email to explain the process that they just showed me. I am very pleased with TN. I have used other EHR's and I love this one the best. It's not too simple and not too difficult to navigate. Keep up the great work.

Cons

Initially, it was the paperwork issue where I had to make my paperwork web-friendly so that my clients could complete it online, but now that this is no longer a problem I have no cons with TNs.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I used it while working at another agency, and I didn't want to try to relearn it. It was a bit too much to learn on top of everything else that I had to learn at that time.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

I did not like the look. It was a little too simple for me.

Marcia from Marcia Rorty, PhD

TherapyNotes is strong overall but has numerous problems it hasn't addressed since its inception

I wish I had started with a different program. I am not satisfied. I am not all that computer literate and just want something that gets the job done, and I'm too entrenched (and lazy?) to go to something else like SimplePractice. One more complaint: I have been a psychologist for over 25 years. I don't need the condescending ways that TherapyNotes literally PREVENTS YOU from, rather than cautions you about, doing certain notes out of order. Cautioning is a superb idea. We all get sloppy. Preventing is something altogether different. If I got a lecture (which I did) from someone who received their clinical psych PhD from my alma mater,UCLA, I might not be offended by the condescending tone I received when the woman informed me about the "golden thread" for conceptualizing clients. There was no "we chose to...." They are RIGHT. And another: you can enter a considerable amount of information, especially in billing, and then be told it can't be stored because it isn't properly allocated, or whatever. Can't they store it and flag it so you can return? I've wasted a lot of time here. There's no way to know in advance that you'll lose the information until you go to save it.

Pros

I like the electronic billing feature and the fact that it receives and allows recording of Electronic Remittance Advice from payers; the scheduling feature; ease of entering initial billing information from electronic ERAs (though there are other huge problems with billing); some aspects of the notes section; customer support by phone (but not via email); hours available for phone support, including weekend; other areas I'm not thinking of at the moment. Even though I can't recommend it, I do think it has many strengths.

Cons

(1) The billing area has countless flaws that my husband, a software developer on Mac and Windows for nearly 40 years, has called to their attention to no avail. When I note these weaknesses, they sound like it's the first time they've heard about it and "pass it on to their team." If you work with Medicare clients or clients who rely on two insurers, watch out. Most Medicare patients have secondary insurance that does not show up in the billing area so that you basically have to use a cumbersome process to enter secondary payment, and it's not immediately clear who paid what, as payments by each don't show up side-by-side in Billing, each associated with the proper payer. If you aren't a provider for the secondary, you have to use a "trick" to enter it. It is not intuitive overall. (2) While phone support is good, email is poor. I write in thorough explanation of the problem so that it can be solved in one go. Most times I write to them, I get a condescending first response that blows me off and requires another complex email essentially conveying the same information. (3) There is no manual. They've been in business too long for this. (4) The articles don't cover enough. For example, I entered "set place of service." Sounds easy, but no hits. (5) They put a lot of resources into tele-therapy when the pandemic hit, which appeared to divert programmers. They make lots of money; why not hire more?

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I read about it and it struck me as the best product among the few on the market at the time. I bought it when it just came to market, as I recall, and there were few other programs available.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied March 2021

Thanks for your feedback. We'll be reaching out directly, particularly so we can clarify what billing issues you're seeing. 1. We're unaware of what flaws you're referring to but, hope to learn more. We do have some improvements coming out soon to improve secondary insurance, so hopefully this will address your concern. 2. We will look into why you received poor email support. The people that answer email are the same people that provide stellar phone support. 3. We have no plans to have a printed manual. The Help Center (support.therapynotes.com) is our digital manual. 4. If you can't find your answers in the help center, please call for support and we'll help out. We are readily available. I agree there's an opportunity to add more content. 5. We didn't divert anyone to work on telehealth. There are 6 development teams, one of which was already working on Telehealth. We are always hiring more developers.

Jennifer from New Light Counseling

December 2021

TherapyNotes knocks it our of the park!

Overall, TherapyNotes is exceptional! Customer Service is outstanding in resolving issues quickly, and over the years the representatives I've spoken with have all been kind and patient. TherapyNotes is user friendly....easy to learn and easy to train new staff. This is a must!

Pros

Many features of TherapyNotes are so helpful and effecient. The scheduling is easy and the software is very user friendly.

Cons

The billing is always a nightmare no matter which software is used. However, I would like TherapyNotes to find a more user friendly way to bill multiple insurances and a better way to be able to easily see which has been billed and what has been paid. Currently when entering new information such as insurance ID, addresses, phone numbers, payments,....once a new one is entered the old information goes away.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

The reviews were great! Also, when speaking with the sales team they were very helpful and clear on the cost. The training was effective as well. Most of all TherapyNotes seems to understand that this part of our job (notes, billing, etc) is not the main part of our job. So, the customer service aspect was appealing in case issues came up that we needed help resolving. The customer service team does not disappoint! They are phenomenal!

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

The software was not user friendly and it was difficult to get through to customer service when issues needed resolved.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied January 2022

Thank you for the great review. We are rolling out a feature that maintains historic insurance information. It will be enabled for all accounts soon. See our blog for more info.

Diana from Diana Calhoun LCSW, BCD

My experiences with TherapyNotes

It took several days until I was familiar enough with the software to get necessary forms filled to electrically submit and to learn how to upload necessary information. Then it took another 2 weeks for me to load in all information so I was able to submit forms. The support staff is super and the pod casts and information given is very helpful. The staff have a lot of patience as I had some questions that I asked over again and they had to continue to give me same answers as it took time to learn enough of the program to be on my own. Now, although not an expert I feel I am very pleased to stay with this program and believe that overall it is a big improvement over my previous biller. Keeping up with submitting forms, with progress notes and all necessary paper work is much easier.

Pros

I could use it anytime. could fit it into my irregular work hours The cost seemed reasonable The support is fantastic. I find the system is complete for a psychotherapist. All records in one place plus electronic billing

Cons

Feeding Patient information could be easier such as from hand written intake forms to system. A very old but no longer existing software "Therapist Helper." Had a face sheet fill in per patient and all info was in and fed into the other areas of the system. The time it took to learn and to put in all info from my 18 or so patients to the system. Needing to fill out forms for NGS medicare and one other insurance company and then wait a week to several weeks to get approved to have forms sent electronically,

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Biller had a stroke and doctor recommended retirement from work. Therefore, I started to seek out an alternative. I had heard of TherapyNotes from a few people at the NYSSCSW Rockland County meeting over a year ago. So I looked it up online as well as a few others billing companies but decided to try TherapyNotes over the others as they seemed more complete.

Andrew from Boulder Emotional Wellness

December 2021

TherapyNotes is a workhorse for our clinic; 30 providers.

Excellent software, excellent support.

Pros

Enough guardrails to rest easy about compliance. Claims get submitted automatically. Support for multiple locations and modifier codes. Financial reporting is flexible. Most reports can be downloaded as spreadsheets. SUPER customer support. They answer the phone and that's a big deal for us.

Cons

Supervision features are lacking. We'd like to see our supervision note displayed if we reject a note and then a supervisee resubmits. We need a report on when tx plans are filed so we can monitor compliance. These are very minor issues compared to what TherapyNotes does for us.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

SimplePractice has non-standard forms for intake, tx plan, progress notes. All these forms have to be customized, which is fortunately allowed. SimplePractice did not support modifier codes on claim submission so every claim had to be edited by hand (apparently they fixed this). Customer support has to be the worst in the industry. No phone number to call. The staff that monitors the Facebook group is downright abusive. (maybe they fixed this)

Brenna from Take Care Counseling & Wellness, PLLC

The Best Support for Therapists

It has been wonderful. Customer service is always so helpful, and the team really works to update the software based on customer feedback.

Pros

I love the ease of use, functionality, updates, and great customer service.

Cons

I do think that the more that can be collected from patients electronically, the better. I already see how much TherapyNotes has been working on making this easy!

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

TherapyNotes made a greater effort to develop and update, and had superior customer service and billing.

Angie from Croyle-Nielsen Therapeutic Associates

Stop torturing yourself

Overall I am very pleased. I have always been treated very well by your tech support as well as having the security of knowing that your group is on top of things. I never feel like I am missing something or am in the dark.

Pros

Therapy notes have been over the past 5 years amazing for us. I have used several EHRs This is by far the best for our needs. We are a small to mid-level group practice and have been able to have it grow with us as well as feeling secure that they are always on top of things and I can always ask for help. By the way, you get REAL help. You can ask anything and they will give you an informed answer with additional information as well direct ways to access whatever it is that you need.

Cons

PLEASE my only request is to have the ability to have more than one person on a telehealth appointment in your system. Currently, we have to keep another platform just so we can have the ability to have others join the session. This complicates family sessions as well as removes the ability for co-counseling or auditing sessions remotely. This is important for us as we are a teaching office.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Price and recommendation from an independent auditor.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied January 2022

Thank you for the great review. Multi-participant telehealth sessions is in development and coming along nicely!

Debbie from The Pinnacle Center for Mental Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

Ten years with Therapy Notes!!

Pros

Ease of use and organization of everything I need in administrating this business.

Cons

Cannot think of anything that is a con. Therapy Notes has enabled us to grow and prosper and also bend with the changing times and teletherapy boom from COVID.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I spoke to your founder back in 2012 and we talked about why and how he had developed Therapy Notes for his wife's therapy practice and I thought, who better to know what is needed. We signed up on a trial basis using the clinical director only since the system was very new and he loved it. It was a major improvement over what we had been using and the therapists loved it for it's ease of use and user friendly design. We recommend Therapy Notes to all.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

It was a horrible system and so hard to use. I would post payments and they would disappear. Client management was not user friendly. Invoicing/billing was not user friendly. I could go on and on. It was a step up from paper files, but not much. I started looking for a new system after about 6 months and found Therapy Notes in 2012.

Kevin from Timberline Counseling LLC

December 2021

Fantastic EHR for the solo or group practice!

TherapyNotes has helped me to better organize, schedule, and bill for services related to my practice. It removes the need for a separate billing service as I can submit billing from within the EHR. I can focus more time on client care and building my practice as can be more efficient with the management of my day-to-day tasks.

Pros

TherapyNotes is easy to use from day one. From its intuitive interface to the ease of scheduling and billing, this EHR is great for the solo practice that wants to manage its own needs or for the group practice that has office staff to manage these tasks. Customer support is fast, friendly, and helpful.

Cons

The only downside is the lack of ability to create customized forms within the system for clients to fill out and submit electronically. There are a handful of preloaded forms in the Library, but so far there is no way to create my own electronic forms to add to my company library.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I chose TherapyNotes for its specific focus on mental health practice and the ease of billing.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

The back office utilities (billing, EDI, etc.) of my previous EHR were difficult to navigate making the billing process inconvenient and inefficient.

Susan from SUSAN THAU

comments on Therapy Notes

The support staff is amazing and very helpful. For me, that is the best part of Therapy Notes

Pros

I do not have anything in particular to say about the software in terms of what I like. Please see my one big issue with this software in the following box.

Cons

I find the statement that I give to the patient extremely difficult to read and explain. I would like a statement that shows the insurance payments on it so the person can read the statement and understand what their coverage paid and what they have to pay.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

I wanted to be with one system that did everything, bill patient and insurance

Tammy from Insight Counseling by TK

Therapy Notes makes billing a Breeze

Therapy Notes made my transition from group practice to private solo practice effortless. They imported my client contact list and populated the demographic info in 1 easy step. They do all the billing from submission to payment with a simple click of a button from me. They provide friendly telephone access to knowledgeable support techniques late evening hours and weekends. They follow up each support call with an email explaining all steps they took during the call and instructions for me to complete any details that may need follow through from me. They make business management a breeze which is saying a lot coming from a completely uninformed therapist like myself. Thank you Therapy Notes

Pros

I love the ease of use and practical applications Therapy Notes provides. They do ALL the billing work from submission to payment and they provide telephone access to technicians after hours and weekends.

Cons

I love everything about Therapy Notes. I have zero complaints.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Easy to use and understand tools which frees me to do what I do best - provide counseling services to my clients. Therapy Notes provides telephone contact with Fast, Friendly, and Efficient Support Staff!!!

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied June 2021

Thank you Tammy for the glowing review!

Barry from Barry Sroloff, PsyD

Initial impression

Overall, very positive experience. Although it proved to be frustrating in the early stages, I realize that I’ve been able to upload a practice of about 30 patients within a month, and get more comfortable with the system.

Pros

I appreciate the cues promoting more detailed and specific treatment planning. I also really like the to do list, accessible from the main page, as well as in each client record. I have found the phone support to be excellent although at times, the wait to speak to a support person can be long. The main reason I continued with therapy notes was the opportunity to use their card services, which appears to have the lowest fees of the more common credit card service providers.

Cons

I would like to be able to more easily customize the reporting aspects of the clinical note and treatment plan. And the billing component has been rather awkward to use. I was, however, dismayed that my application to enroll in credit card services was denied, due to lacking proof of an office lease. I am primarily doing virtual care and so I lease hourly when I need to see a client in person. I am hopeful that the client services support person has found a solution and I should be accepted for credit card services within a couple of days.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

To be honest, if I do not get credit card services, I will likely at least trial simple practice, as it is being used by one of the agencies for whom I do some contract work

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

I had retired from Kaiser Permanente after 22 years, and epic had been the EMR for the past approximately 16 years

AJ from Healthy Synergy Psychological Services, LLC

TherapyNotes The God

Pleasant and never once considered switching given how easy it is to use and how good the customer support is

Pros

Its ease of use and the intuitiveness. Very straightforward. Everything is organized in a way that you can easily find what you're looking for. There's a hidden depth to it for those who want to delve into it too. There's a trick to that ya see. Being deep but not so overwhelmingly upfront about it that it makes the system hard to use.

Cons

Small things like: - not being able to add non-therapists/admins' stuff to the calendar - setting reminders for individual patients isn't an option? - can't create a co-insurance tab, only copay (I believe) - the usual format for all things electronic has "green for yes" where ass some windows in TherpyNotes have a grey box to accept and continue and a green one for "go back" if you will. A bit confusing at first

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

We got too large and that one was kind of clunky and not innovative

Mary Kate from Mindful Balance Therapy Center PLLC

No regrets

I chose this product for the value and the reputation for outstanding support. I've been pleasantly surprised over and over again as they continue to improve on what was already a clean, intuitive program.

Pros

Customer support is superb, especially compared to the practice management software we were using prior. Therapy Notes constantly improves and updates, adding both free and paid features. Updates are never disruptive and always ultimately improve our workflow.

Cons

Enrollment for ERAs, EFTs, and EDI could be smoother- the clearinghouse is a separate entity, and the instructions they provide through Therapy Notes aren't always clear or complete.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Cleaner, cheaper, more intuitive, great reputation for customer support.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

My Clients Plus had absolutely terrible service, didn't allow credit card processing, doesn't allow use of the "back" button, the reporting is buggy, and the billing is incredibly confusing.

George from Workshop Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent value and customer service

All in all, I am extremely satisfied with the software and believe that the issues mentioned will eventually also be ironed out.

Pros

This software is excellently priced for what you get, and they are constantly adding new features. The more I use it, the more I replace other platforms and my practice becomes more integrated. Additionally, their customer service professionals have never failed to answer my questions efficiently, professionally, and honestly (in the cases when a requested feature is not available).

Cons

While most of the software is intuitive and simple, as with all software there is a learning curve for some of the more intermediate and advanced features. There are aspects of the software that I wish were more customizable (specifically intake documentation). Their telehealth interface is fairly new and seems to take more bandwidth than other platforms, sometimes resulting in grainy pictures or dropped calls if both parties have a less than strong internet service. Lastly, a practice-wide email function would be helpful, especially in recent times when messaging about safety protocols have been so dynamic.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Cost, simplicity, all-in-one functionality.

Beza from Therapeutic Links Behavioral Health Services

Overall Experience with TherapyNotes

I have also been impressed with the quality of the customer service with the support staff agent. The agent that assisted me one evening in particular, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt in resolving my issues that had stalled my work previously. Much appreciated and will highly recommend!

Pros

TherapyNotes was relatively easy to use after practicing some changes when crossing over from a different EHR (Theranest). After a month of practice, I found the documentation was relatively easy for daily progress notes and the psychosocial intake components. I particularly liked the intake section where it divides the areas of psychosocial with the specific questioner. Another plus is scheduling ease; TherapyNotes allows me to schedule my client on a monthly basis on a specific day rather than requiring manual entry from my previous EHR system. It also provides me with the option of system reminders via email and or text message depending on the client's preference. Lastly, from an audit standpoint, it appears TherapyNotes do not allow preliminary license holders such as LGPC, LGSW, etc.. from entering individual notes on new clients without the clinical supervisor approving/signing off on the treatment plan first. Also, TherapyNotes requires a clinician to document a treatment plan on the second visit following the initial intake prior to clearing the clinician from entering a progress note. I have also been informed billing insurance providers can only transpire after all entered notes for the service date has been signed off. The above-mentioned requirements from Therapynotes do quality control for audit and ethical purposes for practice holders.

Cons

The one thing I do find problematic with Therapynotes is the treatment plan section. The document allows the clinical to enter the approximate length of treatment however it does not allow for a clinical to set a review date (of 30, 60, or 90 days). This technically means Therappnotes does not generate a reminder for a clinical to review a treatment plan and resolve, complete, and or change with a selected review date in mind. That has been a rather frustrating experience and can possibly lead to audit issues.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied February 2021

Thank you for the glowing review! Actually, you can set the treatment plan review reminders! Visit The To-Do List Settings page. The default is 90 days, but you can adjust this value for your needs. Enjoy!

Howard from Ronin BTE

Excellent Product, could use some tweaks; Using it over 10 years

I have long enjoyed the TherapyNotes system and often recommend it. It is an ever evolving therapist oriented office support platform and I have always found it to be helpful. I am struggling with it, at this time however, because I am having to (at 53 y.o) learn how to do my own billing and am often lost in these very spooky woods alone. Superivising someone else's organization and simply paying attention to generated reports is a very different experience to running my own practice without a dedicated billing support team.

Pros

Simple, elegant, excellent User Interface; Easily Learned; Excellent ease of record entry, maintenance, and search; Internet accessibility; Marvelous Calendar system; Amazing Customer Support team.

Cons

Benefits and billing system needs to be integrated into the package; I have been unable to write notes and bill according to my own method (free form progress note without DAP/SOAP/etc format); notes are completely reliant upon connection to treatment plan in software which does not allow me to write a note in my best manner and to bill afterwards. I need a billing professional connected with my efforts to submit and track my billing, do reconciliations, or a long, in-depth training with a staff member who can teach this to me. It is my weakness but I need this to be able to have full reliance upon the software. I simply wish to see clients and find a way to automate everything else as smoothly as possible with very little difficulty. This issue set forced me into hiring Theranest as, with Theranest, I can operate how i do (in-paper chart Treatment Plan and Coping/Safety Plan; writing a process note and billing from that); Lack of ability to communicate with Google (via my iPad's) calendar is a very severe, serious, and ongoing frustration.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I did not want to write my own client record database again. I was new to the Apple I wanted, and needed, to have the ability to access client records and calendar on the go via the internet while moving around a 13 county area of service provision in Montana. This was 8+ years ago. I spoke with the gentleman who created the system when I called and thought that was great! He was very understanding and quite open with me about plans for future development which would be able to encompass my ideas for what I would ultimately want in a software package like this. So, I thought yo myself, why not support them? It was a great decision!!! I have not yet regretted it. And, even though I use another platform for my billing needs for now, I will not leave TherapyNotes as I eagerly await its slow, but methodical and meticulous, development into the platform I am seeking to have for my ideal practice management software package.

David from David M. D’Alessio Psychotherapy Practice

TherapyNotes customer review by a Psychotherapist in Private Practice.

TherapyNotes has become an integral part of running my psychotherapy private practice. Practically, it lets me expedite payment and submission of claims to insurance companies, has allowed me to automate and streamline the more cumbersome accounting, chart keeping, and record keeping tasks of running a business, as well as a therapy practice in particular. Aside from the platform allowing me to keep as robust records and charts as is required for any individual case, their biggest selling points are their blog and customer service; their blog is updated frequently with immensely useful information on any aspect of running a psychotherapy practice. TherapyNotes Customer Service is stellar; the replies, even to complex requests or questions, are immediate (typically within two hours) and informative with step-by-step, helpful answers. I’d highly recommend the platform to any health care clinician wanting to automate and better manage their practice.

Pros

Ease of use, automation of time-consuming tasks, their frequently updated blog of helpful industry information, Customer Service.

Cons

Integrated Telehealth, which they are currently in the process of implementing.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Superior platform in record keeping, and all other aforementioned functions.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied June 2020

Thank you David for the 5-star review! Our new telehealth platform has been well received and works great! I encourage you to give it a try. Thanks!

Jennifer from Private Practice

My Love/Hate Relationship with This Software

As a therapist, sometimes I feel like being with TN is akin to staying in a bad relationship. They don't actually promise anything but I keep staying because I keep hoping/believing they're going to come through one day and offer these features (i.e. fillable client intake forms that transfer the data into my intake note, a mobile app, and a two-way calendar). TN is also charging the same amount of money or in some cases more money as other EHRs that do offer these simplistic features. One good thing is that they did lower the price by $10 per month for solo practices, but I am already paying $79 per month for myself and one intern. That price will increase by $20 per month for every intern I supervise, and I currently have ten prospective interns waiting in the wings. You do the math.

Pros

The good: First, TherapyNotes has outstanding customer service. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and able to troubleshoot issues within minutes after I've wrestled for hours trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Secondly, ease of billing. I have been with this service since 2015 and I've tried about four other EHR products, but I keep coming back to TN because of the ease of billing. All you have to do is input the client's insurance information and once you complete a note, you just press a button and the claim is sent out. With other EHRs, I still had to fill out my own claim forms, which I didn't know how to do. Because TN makes it so simple, I have decided to stay with them. Getting paid is pretty important, so I suppose this would be the single greatest value for me as far as this software is concerned.

Cons

The bad: They consistently refuse to provide the simplest of features requested by their users. I am intentionally using the word "refuse" because it is clearly a choice made by TN. I asked TN in September 2016 if they would EVER implement an electronic intake form. TN told me they were "working on it" and gave me an estimate of December 2016. It actually didn't happen until several months later, and when they finally revealed it, it was so disappointing. All they did was give us the ability to upload a form to the portal so a patient could download it, fill it out, and then upload it back. This means I still have to go through the time consuming task of manually typing everything the client wrote into the intake form on my end. When TN released this feature, they were so excited, as if it were the most amazing feature they've ever rolled out, completely oblivious to the fact that this "feature" is not much different from me emailing my intake form to a client. Apparently TN thinks it's still 2003. Several users left comments on the announcement post telling TN this is NOT what we were waiting for. As of May 2020, we are still waiting. TN also doesn't have a mobile app, while most other EHRs do. As someone else stated, there is no two-way calendar integration. I'd also like to see a way for me to document supervision meetings with my interns. Right now I have to create a separate client account for each of my interns to keep track of supervision meetings.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

One reason and one reason only: it is the only software that makes billing a breeze and actually gets me paid. With TherapyNotes, all I have to do is press a button and my claims are sent, processed, and paid within a few weeks. With all the other products I've tried, I still had to fill out my own forms and I often had errors. One of the other companies consistently paid my Cigna claims, but every Medicare claim was rejected. After months of going back and forth with customer service, I finally switched back to TherapyNotes. TherapyNotes irritates me for the "cons" I listed above, but at least I don't have to sit for hours trying to process my claims. In the end, this is the lesser of two evils. I would rather fill out intake paperwork ONCE per client than have to wrestle with claim forms every session. I have already tried four other EHRs and in the end, TherapyNotes does make my life easier than the others, even though I can't understand why they won't give us the simple features we've been asking for years. If TN did listen to its customers and add an app, a fillable intake form, and a two-way calendar, they wouldn't just be the lesser of two evils; they'd be the BEST.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied May 2020

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We have a team of full-time developers working on TherapyNotes, and we are adding new features and improvements as quickly as we can, and the portal has been of significant priority. In addition to the Patient Information Form, we recently released the Patient Contact Form, and more forms and portal features are in development now. It is certainly not a matter of us refusing to add features, it's just a matter of getting to everything we want to accomplish.

Micheal Frances from Revolution Psychotherapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Therapynotes is true to the promises it makes to customers

Pros

I run a small practice and I do most of my own billing, scheduling and of course documentation of my client's progress. This program is comprehensive and easy to use. What really makes this company better than the others in the field is their customer service. Plainly speaking the other companies I've tried offered little or no useable customer service, which resulted in my getting "stuck" on how to use their systems - and having to wait several hours or even days to get an answer on how to use a particular feature.

Cons

Compared to other programs I have used, Therapynotes just doesn't have things I dislike.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Plain and simple, I'm staying with TherapyNotes because they true to their word when it comes to live support. Unlike Simplepractice, they don't leave the burden of training on customers; Therapynotes provides the support needed to use the program. Unlike Theranest, Therapynotes does not lie about it's customer service. They actually walk their talk.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

SimplePractice offers NO live customer support. You are told where the "database" of instructions on how to use the program is located and you are on your own. Programs like this are detailed and complex - there is a fairly steep learning curve. For me, it's a glorious waste of my time to be told to go search in the haystack for the specific information you need to properly use the program. Theranest - the second practice management program I used SAID they offer live customer support, but in fact, they lie about this kind of support. In fact, when using Theranest, I was often required to leave a message and wait for an answer - sometime up to two or three days later. When you are working a busy practice, and you want to bill, or make notes on a session, it is not sustainable to have to wait to receive answers on how to use the program.

Mary from The Healing Group

Best EHR for Mental Health Practices

Please see below...

Pros

I love the overall professional presentation of the software. It is clear that Therapy Notes values this and that they work hard to not compromise this. It plays out in the way that they will take their time to carefully design and implement new features and the existing ones are relevant and well thought out. It is evident that they are concerned most with ethics and best practice in the mental healthcare field and not in pleasing everyone because designing a database is not in most clinician's wheelhouse. They have a big job with what they do and this clinician appreciates how they are doing it and the fruits of their labor.

Cons

I do wish the portal could be a little more robust but again, this is something that I know they are working on and there are details that they are considering that are out of my scope.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

It is the most professional, intuitive, and relevant EHR software. I have also worked in a hospital setting using EPIC.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

True story: We had Therapy Notes first and for about 6 years before we switched to Simple Practice. We initially switched because we wanted something that would automate our billing and streamline our intake paperwork. Once we migrated over to SP, it quickly became a nightmare as it was evidenced that all that nice scaffolding that TN has in place does not exist in SP. That the design of their (SP's) EHR does not support best practices (i.e. you can submit an insurance claim without having completed the psychotherapy progress note which is not in compliance with insurance credentialing contracts which require this. When I inquired about this with SP, I was told that they had customers that do their notes externally and that's why their permissions allowed this. This explanation makes absolutely no sense since why would you pay for an EHR but not use the note software portion which is the bulk of a client's file? As well, I suggested that they could at least have a checkbox "Note completed externally" to acknowledge the note was done for compliance and I was told "that seems like a lot of work.") The 2 main reasons we came over ended up being big reasons for why we returned to TN as SP did not deliver what they promised with the billing (it's unprofessional and like someone adopted what their parent showed them how to run their high school lawn mowing business) and the paperwork feature did not integrate and was cumbersome to use.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied October 2019

Thanks for the great review! Yep, we continue to add functionality to the portal. Stay tuned to our blog for updates.

Beyond Outstanding!

A+++++ EXCEPTIONAL, FAST AND ACCOMMODATING CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM A COMPANY I FEEL IS A TRUE TEAM WHO UNDERSTANDS ME AS A PROFESSIONAL (AND HUMAN BEING) AND THEY ARE ALWAYS, ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP ME IF A HARDSHIP ARISES AND WILL HONOR THAT EACH TIME BY HELPING ME OR ANYONE ELSE (as long as it doesn't become a continuous habit). They're truly amazing. I LOVE this company!

Pros

Therapy Notes (as an organization) provides optimal, timely, friendly & solution-focused customer service for any need I've called about. They are EXTREMELY UNDERSTANDING if you experience a Hardship of Financial setback (I was diagnosed with Lupus) and will do ALL it takes to accommodating your needs to help get you back on track. Their software interace is extremey user-friendly (setting up your initial account, inputting new client information, scheduling (including a partient portal which assists clients in schedule their own appointment REQUESTS, automated email appt reminders, exceptional clinical documentation, SIMPLE billing practices to submit claims and receive ERA's (with one-click "posting" to various client accounts who are included on the same return ERA.) Payment processing has Several options (my favorite is "Submitted Payment through an External Account/Debit) because most of my client prefer quick POS payment processing for matters such as paying their per session Co-Pays. ETHICAL: Providers are blocked from submitted claims for processing until the corresponding clinical note has been signed. No way around this. Therefore, IF a provider wants reimbursement for services provided, they MUST be compliant and have signed and submitted their clinical documentation. Providers are able to change the settings of the program....but Not that ONE requirement for liability purposes of course. Seriously, Beyond Outstanding!

Cons

I'd say the ONE thing that makes it Exceptional::: LOL:::: The program forces providers to complete their clinical documentation within 24-48 hours. Unless you do so, the system blocks your ability to "bill" (and get paid!!) Ugh (but it's a good thing!) I wish they'd develop an APP. I've been asking them for almost 4 years, yet they don't have one? Despite making several other changes to their system (i.e. blogging). They're such an advanced, in-tune, intelligent team of "younger" professionals, it's actually a bit mind-blowing for me that there hasn't been an APP created to support their "mobile consumers".... I feel they could POTENTIALLY be losing lots of business potential by neglecting to make this a priority (knowing that most of their main competitors do function via Apps and their lack of developing one decreases their "attractiveness" over to a company who uses an APP, DESPITE that TN is Superior in every other way!

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Already explained. Please READ this Glowing review ad testimony to how Outstanding they are in every capacity :) Customer Service ) WOW!!!!! Ease of Use: YES!!!!! Price Point: BEYOND worth it. There ya' go, Katie :)

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

I left my group practice and opened my own company in 2016. When I made that transition, I intentionally switched software and billing systems. I wasn't a fan of my former one at all and TN offered exactly what I was seeking at a price point within my budget (and after researching different options for weeks) I read several times that they specialize in the smaller, more intimate small businesses as opposed to large organziations. Which is the reason they're able to provide such exemplary customer service. Also, their product is specifically designed for Mental Health!!! Bonus!

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied September 2019

Thank you Katie for the A+++++ review! Yes we do require notes before you can submit claims, but to be clear there is no "24-48 hour" requirement. You can do your notes whenever you want, as long as you do it before you bill. We haven't prioritized an app because we have so much else we want to accomplish. Plus, you CAN use TherapyNotes on your mobile device in your web browser, and you can push your appointments to your smart phone's mobile calendar. Please check the knowledgebase for instructions on how to do that. Thanks again! :)

Bethany from TheraMed Solutions LLC.

TherapyNotes- A revolution in Behavioral Health Billing and EHR

Submitting claims for the entire day of work takes anywhere between 10 seconds to 4 minutes tops depending on if anything needs changed before it is submitted. The scheduling calendar is a breeze with the ability to see multiple locations and multiple providers at the same time, or restrict it to one provider at all locations, all providers at one location, or any configuration of that you can think of. It is color coded, giving each clinician a different color, so office staff can easily see which patients are with which doctor. And you can set up recurring appointments with the click of a button for as many or as few weeks as you would like for a patient. You can also individualize the billing per Insurance company, and per doctor, so any special billing can be saved and will be automatically input for the payers that require it. Also, the visit records (notes) that the doctors input for each patient are extremely well organized, and easy to print and provide to insurance companies/workers comp/other providers when requested. TherapyNotes is intuitive software that is easy to learn, user friendly, and inexpensive in comparison to other options.

Pros

The price charged, along with what you get is incomparable, this software is head and shoulders above the competition. TherapyNotes has solved 99% of our Billing and EHR issues. When issues do arise, we are able to get a representative on the phone within 1 minute flat, (this is record time, EVERY time.) and they are always extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and can SOLVE any problem. The one and only problem I still have, is already in the works for the next update to solve, and TherapyNotes staff has provided such an easy workaround in the meantime, that it has become nearly a non-issue. It is an extremely user friendly interface, and we have come to find that any mistake made within the system (Billing/health records/you name it) can be reversed, without any issues.

Cons

The Doctors had a hard time, when the office first transitioned to TherapyNotes, getting the notes completed. (All notes regarding a patient's visit on that date of service need to be completed before that DOS claim can be sent out. There is no deadline to complete them, you just can't send the claim until they are completed) Once the clinicians adjusted to writing their notes in a timely fashion, they too have concluded that they much prefer TherapyNotes over our old software (NueMD) which was MUCH more costly, for extensively less features that are beneficial to a behavioral health practice.

Brian from BlueSky Wellness, llc

Industry: Mental Health Care

Very comprehensive, user friendly, and overall fantastic EHR/Billing software!

Overall a really pleasant experience with TN. Highly recommended!

Pros

- Comprehensive and robust charting system - Pre-populated progress notes from dx and treatment goals from intake / 1st treatment plan making completing half of the note a breeze! - Pre-populated interventions list, or create your own - Fantastic ability to submit claims electronically with ease making the billing process a breeze! ERA’s (EOB’s in electronic format) come straight from the clearinghouse making reconciliation a one click process vs manually entering insurance payments. These two features have saved me tremendous time! - All of your billing is easily accessible either by patient, or practice wide. Many reports you can run to efficiently keep an eye on your cash flow. - Appointment reminders via text, phone call, or email. Clients LOVE them! Reliable. - Incredible customer support! Second to none. Every time I call there are no long wait times (usually under 5 minutes or less!) Customer support is clearly extremely knowledgeable about the software and are eager to help problem solve technical issues or just there to guide you through the use of the product. I can’t tell you how helpful they have been. Words can’t describe. They really are amazing! :) - THE PRICE! Superb value for such a comprehensive system. This is a company who isn’t looking to squeeze out as much as they can from you. It’s very affordable for solo practice clinicians who are already struggling to make a living with all other expenses a practice runs into.

Cons

- Sometimes the billing can get confusing due to the complexity of the process of billing with insurance in general. - No telehealth module yet! Once HIPAA complaint video confrerencing comes, TN will truly be an ideal fully comprehensive easy to use platform! Looking forward to it!

Above & Beyond!!

TherapyNotes has the most outstanding customer service of Any company in which I've ever conducted business. Each time I call them they respond within 1-2 hours with a Solution to my inquiry. When I have certain requests pertaining to my practice or TN account, they willingly and generously support my concerns and do whatever it takes to work with me so that my practice succeeds. I could go on and on with this answer but simply put, I'm so grateful I "stumbled" upon this company and EHR softward progam because I've had ZERO issues with them at all and would highly recommend them to any person seeking a new documentation system!

Pros

TherapyNotes EHR is an outstanding software for my private counseling practice. It's ease of use and ample "help" section makes it simple for me to learn anything I have questions about --most of the time without even needing to call them. I've been a customer since 2016 and have only positive feedback to give. Use the free-trial offer. I did and have no regrets.

Cons

Regarding TherapyNotes, there are only 2 things that cross my mind now and then. 1) I'd like for them to develop a mobile app. I mentioned this to them and they were very receptive stating they were in the process of doing so. I'm looking forward to that! 2) I'd LOVE if TN created Intake forms that could be tailored to individual practices (i.e. insert company name here) If demographic, consent, HIPPA, cancellation, etc. forms were incorporated into the program and could be easily send to new clients through the patient portal , it would save me a ton of time and allow me to concentrate on providing therapy rather than on the necessary paperwork that is required.

Donna from Delich Counseling Services, LLC

Excellent Company

Excellent company I have been with Therapy Notes for over three years and have never had a bad experience with the product or the service. They go above and beyond to make sure you as a provider or user have the help and support you need. They are constantly making improvements in the software and they make taking care of the paperwork end of business so easy. I have had pleasant and great experiences every time I call their support team with questions. No question is left unanswered nor are they too trivial. They try to make the product as user friendly as possible and are there to guide you through it all. I love that my notes are professional and easily read, all information that needs to be in them are there, I once got audited on a couple of clients by Medicaid and it was so easy to pull up what I needed and get it sent in. Passed with flying colors because all that I needed was in the note format. My clients all get a reminder text or call and they love it. I appreciate all the hard work they do on their end to make this a top of the line product for those of us on the front lines with clients. Billing is easy and user friendly. i would and have recommended this company to anyone looking for a good safe and professional product to help you in keeping documentation and billing orderly and consistent with expectations of our fields of practice. Thank you Therapy Notes!

Pros

I like everything about it. It is user friendly, if you need help the support team is exceptional. Notes are professional and clear, easy to read, treatment plans are wonderfully easy and all you need for notes are available for documentation. Their billing is easy and support is a phone call or email away. I have used the product for 3 years plus and have never had a bad experience with the company. It keeps confidentiality, and ease of keeping client information in a safe place.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about this software.

Jinnifer from Progressive Wellness

Grateful for this product

TherapyNotes has been a win/win/win move!

Pros

I changed to this software mostly because they had an actual number you could call for tech support. I am a therapist and I have little time between clients, am not a tech savvy person, and have lots to think about, so it was very difficult to ask a question by chat and wait 2 or 3 days for an answer that might or might not apply. Also the software we were using kept upping the cost and this was more supportive plus less expensive. After I began the free trial, I found the note set-up was more helpful and it was easier to complete my notes in each session without taking away from the session. This saved me about 2-3 hours a day and an releaved a tremendous amount of stress. A new feature of this software is accountability and it will not let you submit a claim until your notes are complete. This has been helpful with reminders and a to-do list to keep me on track. My assistant loves the ease of billing!

Cons

Payor set up was a little challenging. We needed more explanation.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

The telephone number that provided a person that could help with unusual issues, at that moment.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Lack of support that met our needs

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied March 2021

Thank you for your kind words!

Elaine from Sense the Possibilities PLLC

Software effectiveness

I am in the promotional period and so far I am impressed by the delivery of service. The ability to import treatment plan information right into the notes saves time, because they do it for you. They are always available to support you every step of the way.

Pros

What I like most is the ease of use or adding patients, payers, and notes. I am able to set reminders for these features, create my own templates and add them to my library for myself or organizations use. Sending documents though the client portal is amazing, there is no need for print, fax or encrypted emails to get authorizations signed it is done electronically. Telehealth is included free! CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS THE BEST.

Cons

For special cases ie. Minor clients requiring multiple caregiver access to the client portal would need two account for the same client. It is not hard to do, however developing a portal link for such cases would be great! The pricing is reasonable, I don't like the individual charges in addition to the subscription cost. Such as submitting the billing claim to insurance is charged as additional cost per client. This can add up if bulk claims are not authorized by some payors. A portal link for Child welfare cases would be great! accepting credit cards is also an add on feature charge per transaction.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Quality service at a reasonable price, customer service, and training videos dedicated to specific features of the software. HIPPA compliance

Tammi from Supportive Solutions LLC

OUTSTANDING SOFTWARE AND FRIENDLY STAFF

We have been in business since 2011. We started with Therapy Notes and as we grew we changed and went to another software, Big Mistake, we returned to Therapy Notes. We continued to grow and had our billing service contracted out, we had to change software to accommodate the billing company. Another BIG Mistake, not on the billing company just on software, we released the company and returned to Therapy Notes, we will not be moving again......We are pleased with therapy notes and the billing.

Pros

Billing is so easy and it gives you billing at your finger tips, it is user friendly and the staff is awesome on assisting if you are not sure how to utilize all the features.

Cons

the billing notes and rejection of claims, are a bit unfriendly. It is hard for me to keep up with who has not paid. On the initial assessment when audit, it lacks the auditors need. We are in NC and the initial assessment require different things than on the psychotherapy intake note.

user friendly

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

hired billing company which required us to change.

Great product

Overall Therapy Notes is great and my office is sticking with it! I can't wait to see the updates in the future to see how they improve. The price is great as well and they are always helpful!

Pros

This software is super easy to use and has a lot of great features! Their customer service is amazing and they take feedback from their users to make improvements! I love that that it has everything all in one and it makes scheduling, billing, and note taking extremely simple and conveniently fast! There is a client portal included which makes it easy for clients to schedule and submit documents that you have requested. The note templates are helpful and make it easy to make sure you have all the information you are needing in the note. Updates come out all the time with improvements which shows they are using the feedback! They also include a telehealth platform which makes online appointments easy to access and they just added a share screen option!

Cons

Therapy Notes is great but it is missing some features that other programs have. There is no app or client messaging like other popular programs which would make it easier to see scheduling or client messages on the go or when out of the office. Also the telehealth platform is improving but it does not allow multiple participants and the share screen only allows you to share your entire desktop instead of specific windows which can be a little annoying.

David from Generations Church

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Easy For All

Overall, I've enjoyed using the product, and look forward to continue using it. The pricing is competitive, especially for a non-profit, this has been a great selling point when compared to other companies.

Pros

I like that the software has a lot of built in features that are handy when starting to use the software. The company has also release a lot of great videos on youtube to help you navigate through the different options and features included in the software. I've used these videos to help find answers to questions. Next, it has been really easy for my clients to use as well. Their portal allows for easy transfer of paperwork and allows for clients to sign things electronically, so clients don't always have to download and sign the document then reupload it.

Cons

At this time, the telehealth feature doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Zoom or Microsoft Teams (MT) has. This is, from my understanding, a new feature so I hope they continue to work on this. Screen share or screen flipping would be helpful as I used these a lot during sessions when I used MT. It would also be useful if when you entered into the telehealth feature, it would open into a separate window so that you could still access the client's file or library.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I chose TherapyNotes because the price was right, and I felt that SimplePractice did not offer as much when comparing them. Although I did like the look of SimplePractice, I felt the consumer paid too much for just looks alone. In practice I feel that TherapyNotes is simpler for the therapists and clients.

Monique from Vine Christian counseling Services

So Grateful for TherapyNotes

I feel so supported by their customer care team! They are almost always available and help me with difficult questions. But the software itself is so intuitive you could figure most features out on your own...and trust me, I am not that great at technology.

Pros

The software is incredibly intuitive! The documentation options are current and has everything I need. The customer service is second to none! I am doing my own billing after never having billed on my own before, saving me $1,000's of dollars per year! I can sync my calendar with my personal calendar. The price is perfect for me!

Cons

I have not yet found any features that I do not like, other than wishing I could add my own "to do" items on my calendar. Maybe I can, and I just haven't discovered how to yet.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I had heard so many positive reviews. Also, I looked at both websites and found what I needed with Therapy Notes. The customer service, alone, is worth it!

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Kasa's customer care was sub-par. They had shifting responses to my questions and they were inept at providing the billing I was paying them for. When I brought my concerns to them they only defended their actions. I spent hours on the phone with insurance panels because their billing team left out information that was easily corrected on the phone. Their response to my concern was that "we can't help it if our users want answers and resolutions faster." They literally blamed me for needing answers and resolutions in a timely manner for their incompetence!!!!!

October 2012

Shawn from Shawn Davis LCSW PA

October 2012

A great therapy office addition

Overall I am very happy with the system and recommend it for practices of all sizes. The pros out weight the cons. Most of the negatives I have found are potential future features. There is already a plan to integrate appointment reminders to clients, which will be a great time saver. I have found updates to the system to occur very quickly and good follow through on promised features. They owners are definitely motivated to keep customers happy when able.

Pros

Notes are easy to enter for a busy practice. I love the features of uploading old paper charts for storage (other programs don't allow this). The feature of customizing procedure codes and interventions are a great option. The system is extremely easy to use. The to do list section is great for seeing notes that you may have forgotten to write, to notify you when a treatment plan is due, and to remind you to discharge clients who are no longer active. This is been extremely helpful to keep charts current. The ability to log in from other computers helps for accessing client information in a crisis without needing to go to the office. When I get requests for charts, I can easily download notes to fax or email without problems. The feature of generating client statements helps save a lot of time.

Cons

Being a small practice, I don't have funds for purchasing billing services in addition to the system, so I was disappointed in the billing fee being per submission rather than a flat rate. If a flat rate was offered for billing integration this might be resolved for smaller offices. It would also be helpful to generate customizable letters to clients for reoccuring situations such as discharge notice and missed appointments. There is also no way to generate client numbers within the system, so I currently have to keep a seperate excell document to generate client numbers (i.e. automatically assigning numbers when entering a new client). I also would like to have a billing documents section to scan copies of EOB statements that is seperate from the clinical chart. Current there is not way to integrate credit card processing within the system, but is a possible future feature.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied October 2012

Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, future planned futures will definitely assist with some of the items you mentioned and you are right that appointment reminders are coming very soon! (FYI, I'm typing this on 10/24/12. If you are from the future, we may already have this feature. Check the web site to find out!)

Diane from Diane M. Hoekstra, PhD, LLC

I switched BACK to TherapyNotes from Simple Practice

See above--willing to change back from other program, even though this is time consuming.

Pros

I left TherapyNotes for Simple Practice 8 months ago--I quickly recognized that I made a mistake as I began to use Simple Practice. Therapy Notes has a number of important advantages/features to note: 1) requiring the clinician to fill out intake and treatment plan before one can write progress notes means you will not drop ethically necessary documentation that is needed for record to be complete; 2) the ability to schedule ongoing appointments without an end date (simple practice only allowed you to schedule 30 appts at a time and on two occasions, an appointment dropped off the schedule and I was not in when a client arrived!!). 3). live support rather than going through submitting an email--A GOOD OLD FASHIONED PERSON WHO CAN ANSWER EVEN THE MOST SIMPLE QUESTIONS MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! 4). Requiring clinician to review treatment plan every 90 days when one would be likely to forget if you were not prompted. 5). Credit card processing costs less through Therapy Notes. Despite the difficulty of uploading client records back to TherapyNotes, I believe it is worth doing to be back with the better program.

Cons

I would like to be able to access easily on my cell phone and feel an App might make that the most user friendly.

See above--

Caroline from Head & Heart Therapeutic Solutions

Intuitive, Great Customer Service and Always Improving

Pros

TherapyNotes is really intuitive and easy to learn. It has great built-in reminder features to make it simple to use from a clinical perspective. I particularly love how the treatment objectives auto-populate into progress notes to keep you on track with monitoring and updating those. It's also really functional from an administrative and billing user perspective. I run a group practice and am really happy with TherapyNotes - I especially love the prompt and thorough customer service - it really sets them apart. I also love how often TherapyNotes is updated and really appears to take feedback and suggestions from users to heart. I am super impressed with this company!

Cons

I wish I could create an intake questionnaire that can be filled out online through the portal. Simple Practice had this feature and it was really functional and easy for clients.

Andrea from Thriveworks

Therapy Notes for Administrative Use

For me personally, and we have four offices filled with providers, Therapy Notes has enough options to fit the majority of our needs. I appreciate the quick support feedback. That's an important feature to me as a manager. I also appreciate their quick updates when there is an issue with the program, which is going to happen in any program one uses. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, they keep all of their users up-to-date in real time. I think Therapy Notes is a really good program and I would recommend it to anyone in this industry.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use and set it up to what works best for your practice/office. I have trained many people on Therapy Notes since we started using it in February of 2016. The software is intuitive and learning the ins and outs is not too time consuming. I like it much, and I mean MUCH, better than our previous software program.

Cons

There are a few items that we would like to see such as being able to set up a client with more than one provider, and have the software bill insurance for one provider, but allow another provider to be self-pay with no insurance. The other really big item would be to add a comments section on the actual billing page. While we can make comments on the billing settings page, it would make sense to also allow comments on the billing page, where our providers are more likely to look. There are a few tweaks here and there that I'd love to push for, but all in all it's a great program.

Nicole from Asili Wellness

TherapyNotes 2021

TherapyNotes is an effective EMR solution for my daily operations as a private practice owner and clinician.

Pros

Fillable content for therapy intakes, progress notes, treatment plans, etc and it makes charting completion a breeze! I also LOVE the calendar schedule and have it on my phone.

Cons

It would be great if intake forms were fillable for clients. I have to pay a separate fee with Adobe in order for clients to be able to complete forms such as HIPAA, intake, office policies. There is also no app.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I had already been using TherapyNotes for a few years, and there were no uploaded templates in SimplePractice. Switching over to Simple Practice would be time consuming and burdensome. In regards to TheraNest, it was too expensive.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied February 2021

Thank you for the awesome review. We are working on more features for the portal. I think you'll be very pleased!

Greg from MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS, LLC

Great EHR Product

I highly recommend this software.

Pros

The program is extremely easy to use with a very small learning curve. The automated task list is fantastic. I am able to keep on top of all that I need to do to be successful! Insurance claims and payments are a snap. All you have to do is write the note and click to submit a claim! Treatment planning template is quite useful and easy to populate Notes are organized in a really great format. I am confident I could succeed if ever audited. Customer support is AMAZING and LIVE any time you need them. They are a phone call away!

Cons

I would like a scheduling app that is directly tied to the Notes scheduling calendar. It is annoying to have to open a browser on my smartphone and input a password every time. Some screens are not able to be enlarged and therefore I am not able to schedule with ease. There is no way to create forms online and send them to clients to fill out online. I am currently sending paper, having clients fill them out with pen, and then scanning and uploading. A secure overlay email function (like hushmail?) directly incorporated into the software would be useful. When I click on the client's email address this would automatically open and be so useful and safe. A video conferencing option might be nice, depending on the overall cost.

Susan from Susan B Merrick, LCSW, DCSW, LLC

Therapy Notes is a great product and the Customer Service is OUTSTANDING

Pros

Customer Service; it keeps improving; easy to set up a new client, schedule (free reminders two days before appointments are sent to clients), good templates for intakes, assessments, progress notes, great to do reminder lists, great EDI processing and more.

Cons

I have never been dis-satisfied with how I was treated. I may have not liked the answer :) - but the staff are great. The answers I don't like are when there are features I'd like that they don't have YET, so I have to do work arounds that take time. I would like the ability to BOLD, UNDERLINE and BULLET the text in my notes, better secondary insurance processing, and tele-therapy (currently using DOXY.me) I know they are working on these things, and with the things they aren't, they make a note and send it up the chain of command and tell me how to do the same, so I feel heard and valued.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I talked with colleagues who recommended other sites they use - but those sights didn't meet all of my needs/desires or were too cumbersome. So, even though I didn't personally know anyone using Therapy Notes, I decided to try it and during the trial period, I was very pleased. It has been a learning curve for me as my practice grows in size and needs, but totally worth it

Lynn from Lynn Loris Owens PsyD LLC

SIx-year User of Therapy Notes--Couldn't Be Happier

They have the nicest, most helpful customer service of any company with which I have ever interacted. I'm serious. They pick up the phone, they actually help you, and they are exceeding pleasant the whole time. They even send you articles, You Tube videos, and email summaries (w/o you asking) so that you have something to further illuminate what they have told you and serve as a reference in the future.

Pros

The framework for the notes look like they are designed by a medical malpractice attorney or your malpractice insurance carrier (former attorney here). They cover every base and I love it, kidding aside, because it ensures that I am providing the top level of care to my patients (Did I check whether Pt had SI? What did Pt say vs. my perception of them?) Plus, I can customize the notes and carry over portions of former notes to make note writing more efficient for me.

Cons

I haven't found any mental health EHR that is doing this (only the really large, expensive medical programs), but I would pay more if TN could add a patient direct payment system to the Portal. I'm thinking that, with time, this is something that they will offer.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

I read several "Best EHR" articles and they all kept pointing to TN. Also, when I called to talk to the different EHR companies, TN was the friendliest.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied January 2022

Thank you for the glowing review! You can actually accept credit cards on the portal with the Payment Authorization Form. You may also be happy to know that an upcoming feature will also patients to actually make payments.

Lisa from Lisa M. Graziano, PMHNP-BC

Therapy Notes Review

Excellent. The customer service is responsive and courteous. I receive extremely prompt responses to my questions

Pros

The ease of use and ability to move through the fields quickly. The reliability, I have never had a connectivity issue

Cons

As a Nurse Practitioner I hope electronic prescribing is an option in the future

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Cost, ease of use, customer service

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Patient records were missing parts of documentation, poor customer response, frequently "down" and unavailable for use.

Cherlisa from Sexual Health Education, Esteem, & Relationships

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to navigate and understand

On-time billing capability with quick reimbursements.

Pros

The billing and note writing format is the best part about this app.

Cons

Sometimes the sever times out. Though Google calendar syncing is an awesome feature, I’m definitely looking forward to a downloadable app.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

SimplePractice had a lot of outstanding features, including an app, a large database of downloadable forms (especially one for intake sessions), as well as various in-session engagement features ...it just wasn’t user-friendly when navigating through it.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

A full EMR wasn’t necessary for my practice.

Sion from SRI Psychological Svcs, PC

TherapyNotes was the right move for us

Overall, their customer support can't really be beat. I like how quickly the implementation process has gone for us. I am in love with all aspects of claims management in this software.

Pros

We've streamlined our billing and our clinicians are finally able to create electronic charts!

Cons

I think missing certain features like robust patient portal billing could be good. Internal chat/messaging would also be great.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

TherapyNotes is strong when it comes to the claims life cycle and reconciling payments. When you add a payer, there is helpful information to help make sure that enrollment succeeds. The feedback on EDI transactions helps immensely when it comes to catching problem claims--our old system could not do that. TheraNest did not meet our bookkeeping needs when it came to financial reporting, but TherapyNotes lets us export what we need.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

We needed to move our paper charts into an EHR system.

Regan from Flint Hills Mental Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

Extremely User Friendly and Best Customer Service EVER!

So very glad I chose TherapyNotes. I had previewed some other software, and for me, hands down, this is the one!

Pros

I love how user friendly the software is. However, sometimes in my profession, things are unusual or complication. TherapyNotes customer service is the BEST! I never have to worry - they are quick, efficient, courteous, and knowledgeable, no matter how many times I have to ask the same thing :)

Cons

Literally, nothing. Ok, maybe I wish the columns of the report on the main page of the billing section were customizable. But I can customize a report that does the same thing!

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

More user friendly; amazing tech support and customer service!

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied February 2021

Thank you for the perfect review! When you do a search on the Billing page, there's a "Select Columns" icon on the far right. Click that to select the columns you would like to see. I believe that's what you're asking for, but if not feel free to submit a feature request to support. Thanks!

Awesome in Every Way!

Therapy Notes is the most Outstanding clinical documentation & billing software system I have ever used. It's "Ease of Use" is exceptional. But during times it may be difficult to solve your problem on your own, TN has a Rapid Customer Service Response Time (typically 24 or less via email), in addition to a vast array of Tutorials to access that are clearly written and easy to follow on just about every topic imaginable. I love having access to a knowledge-based library this comprehensive that I can utilize at times I need to look up a quick procedure I had forgotten or for when I need an answer quicker than it may take for TN to respond (NOTE: I'm referring to an email response!) You do have the option of calling the TN support team and receiving instant customer service from a friendly, patient TN support representative. One thing I love is that in the 4-5 short months I've been using TN, I've had to contact Support for a number of matters, as I am a new, first time practice owner. It's very comforting to be greeted by or responded to by the same set of people on staff to assist me. The consistent low turn over rate says a lot about the management of a company and the staff at TN genuinely make me feel as if they're getting to know me and my company/account personally. Some of the actual features that has made my job easier by switching to Therapy Notes is their multiple drop down menu features for Clinical Interventions, or the History drop down tap, which you can click on during a session with your Client to instantly review their status from their last session. Scheduling is a breeze, Billing is effortless and the Patient Portal is exceptional. The features are endless and I can't rave about it enough. Not to mention, they take ALL suggestions for improvement into consideration and actually respond to those requests with gratitude while providing you feedback on your request. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SIMPLE, YET THOROUGH AND COMPREHENSIVE SYSTEM DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR THE MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSION, THEN THERAPY NOTES IS THE ONE TO CHOOSE. HANDS DOWN, IT HAS MADE MY JOB SIMPLER AND HAS FREED UP VALUABLE TIME IN MY LIFE THAT I CAN NOW ALLOCATE TO MY FAMILY OR OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST. STOP RESEARCHING NOW! I personally signed up for the 30 day free trial to 5 or 6 different systems simultaneously when trying to make my choice as to which company to use. THERAPY NOTES IS ALL YOU NEED. Enjoy!

Audrey from Sheppard Counseling LLC

Extremely satisfied customer

I have used therapy notes for three years in past clinic. When I started my own company, I knew I wanted therapy notes to be the system I used. It’s an easy system to learn and helps me stay organized. Makes billing easy and so are the note templates. Telehealth has worked efficiently and simple for my clients to log in.

Pros

I most appreciate the customer service team. Every person I have spoken with have been amazingly helpful. System is easy to use and setup to fit my individual needs.

Cons

I haven’t ran across any problems this far.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Therapy notes was Cheaper and I was already familiar with the great customer service of therapy notes. A friendly person on the other end of the phone when you’re having an issue makes all the difference.

Carolyn from Full Circle Counseling Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Good Software platform for the money.

Overall I am happy with Therapy notes since my biller can access my records and I can utilize the telehealth portion easily. I just wish it had more resources for therapist available.

Pros

The collection of patient data is very easy.

Cons

Compared to Simple Practice, Therapy Notes resources for clinicians is null. I would say that has been the most disappointing as the only forms provided are for the demographics and any other forms must be created and uploaded by the clinician. Additionally there are no forms for assessments to give to the client based on their diagnosis or information that you can send to them. Also, you have to manually send out the forms for each new client where Simple Practice did it automatically.

See above.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Because my colleagues were using Therapy Notes so it would be easy to navigate if we needed to access each other's scheduling and it seemed a little bit less expensive than Simple Practice.

brian from new springs counseling service

Therapy Notes

My experience with therapy notes has been great and I would recommend it to anybody

Pros

I like that it is easy to use, that it has reports for everything and the billing is made simple all you have to do is click submit and it is billed

Cons

I really have not found any cons. Maybe more of a tutorial on how to use it would be helpful. I have found it rather easy but some of my therapists have struggled at first then have loved it.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

The price of therapy-notes was better and I tried it first and liked it.

Response from TherapyNotes

Replied December 2019

Brian, thanks for the great review! Regarding tutorials, be sure to take look at our Help Center, Blog, and Youtube Channel. We also do live webinars and provide phone support 7 days per week. https://support.therapynotes.com https://blog.therapynotes.com https://www.youtube.com/therapynotes

Victor from Achieve Your True Potential

Industry: Mental Health Care

Wish I had found Therapy Notes first!

The transition has been timely, but been smooth. Telephone customer support has been amazing and we are glad to have found Therapy Notes.

Pros

Customer Service, by far! We are moving from a different platform, so it wasn't just about learning a new platform but about unlearning on old one while learning a new process. Therapy Notes was pretty self explanatory, but when we had questions they were always there and willing to assist. Telephone customer support!

Cons

I do wish we could upload our own intake forms. They do have forms and they have improved them, but we spent the time do create out own and we would prefer not to have to use a third party to use them.

Reasons for Choosing TherapyNotes

Price was too high! Support wasn't as robust as Therapy Notes.

Reasons for Switching to TherapyNotes

Customer service made every issue our fault, seriously! Half of the functionality didn't work and when I called they would say it works on our side, you must be doing something wrong! Or they just wouldn't respond (email only).