All AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

MariAnne

Real Estate, 2 - 10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2021

Hands down the best software

Benjamin

Reviewed November 2020

Well-Rounded & Reliable

Appfolio has world class customer service with extremely quick response time. Implementing the software was as easy as it could have been. It still takes time and effort, but it is certainly worth it to be on such a streamlined software.

PROS

I love the ability to track collections, maintenance orders, and Tenant info/documents from my smartphone. This software gives me the option to have any staff work remote as needed and still do our jobs at 100% capacity.

CONS

Appfolio does a nice job at continuing to develop better features. One area that needs improvements is the ability to do inspections. It takes forever for photos to upload while at the property and uses a ton of data. Would be nice to be able to have the inspections saved locally to the phone and then upload all at once while on WiFi. This would speed up inspections drastically. Improving inspection templates is also needed.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio had a sleek look and better support being offered.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We used a bunch of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. Data was easily messed up, and it offered no mobile features. It wasn’t specifically designed for real estate.

Hi Benjamin, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Replied April 2021

Mike

Reviewed October 2023

AppFolio is the Apple of Prop Management Software

In general this is the best property management software on the market if you have a portfolio of 100 to about 1500 homes. Any smaller than that there might be simpler solutions that you could use in any larger than that you might need some customization that could be a little bit tricky to do an app folio. Before that midsize property manager this is the perfect product to really streamline your systems and give your residence and owners a great experience.

PROS

AppFolio simply works. Or should I say that it works simply. Whenever you're purchasing software the folks that are in charge of selling it will always tell you all the things that it can do. If I lined up at folio side by side next to various other property management software that I've used they all would check the boxes of doing all the things that you need them to do. However from using many of the different providers and have folio I can tell you that when our team turned on that folio it was far less training because everything just simply made sense. The screens look nice the reports made sense the dashboards made sense the flows were simple and easy to understand. It's very difficult to understand this type of nuance when buying software so I can only tell you that our experience was extremely smooth and running this especially when compared to using the competitors that we had done previously.

CONS

Personally I find some of the accounting functionality to be a little bit challenging but that could be simply a part of me not being an accountant.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We use building them and it is a simple product that might work well if you have less than 100 homes but as you start to advance beyond that the flows and systems are simply not disadvanced is that folio and it's simply not as easy to use.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Hopefully it was simply the best option for the amount of homes that we had.

Justin

Reviewed February 2017

Review from Justin Ratzlaff of Henderson Management

We have been using Appfolio for a few years now. There are many things that I appreciate about the product, but there are also many things that I don't appreciate. Overall, I am getting the feeling that Appfolio is getting too many customers as their popularity has grown. It seems that the customer service has taken a major hit. It also seems that it's a bit too exclusive as integration with other programs is difficult and in most cases impossible. I used to manage the Leasing Department and during that time I tried to convince the team to start utilizing online lease signing. There was a problem though with customizing addenda to the lease and there were a few forms that we could not enter into the digital lease. Without the ability to have all forms in the lease, it defeated the entire purpose of going digital. My issue is that we got everyone on the team to add a suggestion to the forums and we have never heard a response. I get emails randomly saying that someone else has added a comment, but that's far as it goes. Recently the comments have been on the thread of Appfolio not listening to feedback from customers. All I can say is, I agree. Maybe this review will be seen. I now manage the maintenance department and I am disappointed with the functionality of the maintenance capabilities. I understand that this is not a maintenance management software, but many management companies perform their own maintenance and require intelligent software for this purpose. Techs need to be scheduled, tracked, reviewed on performance, and much more. Again, I understand that this is not the main purpose of Appfolio. However, why would you not open yourself up to easy integration with a field service management software? We had to create a couple extra positions in the company to manage the transfer of information from Appfolio to our field service management software as integration does not seem to be important to Appfolio.

PROS

See above

CONS

See above

Dear Justin, thank you for providing us with this constructive feedback. Your team's suggestions for leasing are a top priority for us and is something we plan to work on. We are currently working very hard on the maintenance feature - we welcome your feedback and hope these updates will solve the challenges you have been facing! A Product Specialist will be contacting you to go more in depth with your maintenance needs. As for your comments regarding customer service, we are sorry your experience has been negative! We truly value each of our customers and hope to continually create an excellent product and provide top notch service! Your Customer Success Manager will be contacting you to address your complaints and amend the situation. We hope to provide you with a more positive experience moving forward and to work with you and your team for many years to come!

Replied February 2017

Autumn

Reviewed November 2023

A Life Saver

PROS

So many features to help with property management. Very easy to use.

CONS

I really don't have any complaints. Anything that I don't understand or need help with is easily fixed or understood through customer service which is outstanding.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio has much better reports, accounting, tracking and is overall much much better.

Drew

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies

The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

PROS

First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

CONS

I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost vs. benefits. We are a medium size company (750 multifamily/single-family units) and did not need as many bells and whistles.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was a factor, but mostly not having good advertising with Buildium.

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

Replied December 2019

Yan

Reviewed July 2019

Great product and really terrible support

It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

PROS

The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

CONS

The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

In Yardi every task takes allot of time. Try setting up or changing CAM or dealing with their RentCafe platform is like a root canal. We needed something that didn't require allot of time and staff keep things running

Tucker

Reviewed June 2023

Nickel and Dime

PROS

See Cons.... the cons outway the pros at this point with such a large increase in price.

CONS

Changing the free eCheck to a cost for the tenant or the property management company is truly ridiculous. First, all of our leases say the echeck is free, so you have sort of backed us into a corner with us paying for the service. Also, with POA's also included in this unit count, I will have to pay $500 a month, for a service that is only used ONCE a year. That is $6,000 a year, so 500 units can pay ONCE on online. This is just crazy!! This is going to reduce the compliance for online payments and bring more checks, money orders, and cash in the office if we don't provide the service. Truly ridiculous. This is going to be about a 45% increase in my cost to use AF.. with a 30 days notice. truly bad business. looking for new software.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Liked the options of AF, but looking for something else now.. This cost increase is crazy.

Lijun

Reviewed May 2023

My Thought

Good, will continue to use it.

PROS

Easily to use, online for tenant/owner, rent tracking,

CONS

Too expensive, cannot create customized reports

Online feature

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Easily create report, keep track of tenant's rent payment

Katy

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

AppFolio Review

I am happy for the switch, there are some things I wish could change, however overall I am happy.

PROS

It is very user friendly. It has great features and easy reporting.

CONS

The compliance feature is non usable as it is extremely out of date.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

VMS was not a good software and not user friendly.

Roy

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed February 2024

Robust Property Management System

PROS

The multitude of features it offers. Report, budgeting, estimate, calendar, communication, portal, mobile app.

CONS

Software is only as good as the administrator that admins it. Unfortunately, the admins (usually property managers) don’t leverage the available features to benefit their communities needs.

Lyman

Reviewed September 2019

Appfolio & Me

I love it! I found the Appfolio program did save me time with all parts of property management duties I have.

PROS

Once I learned the program, Appfolio made the job easier. The owner statements were easy for my owners to understand. Love the ability to upload copy of invoices to owner statements, so they could see my deductions if there were any on the given month. This saved me time from answering calls from owners that had questions about the owner statement. The online features made it easy for Owners & Tenants to see everything related to their property.

CONS

Being a very small company it was a little more expensive than other programs out there. The learning curve was a bit tuff, but Help was always there to assist me if needed.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

In speaking with other Property Managers, most recommended Appfolio.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

My broker made the change to another software program, since the business started growing and the old program could not keep up.

Marianne

Reviewed June 2020

Streamlined Accounting

Appfolio has streamlined Accounts Receivable. The lookup function is great, the ability to text is fantastic. Communicating with tenants is much easier.

PROS

Flexibility and ease of use. It allows you to delete transactions and edit them. Great training videos and articles. Enhancements and updates are made regularly.

CONS

Inability to assign due dates on manual invoices and an easier override of monthly late charges, making the latter process quite laborious. My only other criticism is applying credits in the diagnostics panel. It should populate the fields and then let you edit. Instead you have to enter everything line by line.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and two very talented sales rep who made our choice a no brainer.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Skyline was very inflexible, no training provided, not user friendly.

Brooks

Reviewed October 2020

Best software on the market

Overall, we are extremely happy customers and plan to be Appfolio customers for life.

PROS

Appfolio has not only a lot of functionality, but is easy to use across our entire organization. It has become the primary backbone of our property management business and we truly view Appfolio as a Partner, not a technology service provider.

CONS

Our primary critique with Appfolio is that they tend not to let other good real estate tech products plug into their software via API. In other words, they like to build new products/functions in-house instead of via partnership or integration. There are pros and cons, but in general I would like to see Appfolio play nicer with other prop tech products.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio is a superior product and company who actively invests and innovates.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Propertyware was an inferior product with a lot of problems and was not going to let us scale our business and be as successful as we have been.

Carrie

Reviewed August 2023

Wouldn't Recommend

We've overall been happy with Appfolio, but with their decision to charge our tenants $2.49 (from free) for EFT payments and how they rolled this out is frustrating. Appfolio spent a lot of time offering training on how to get tenants signed up for their portal, and how to "sell" the (then) free EFT payment option. Now, tenants either have to pay $2.49 for every EFT payment they make, or as the property owner, we can pay $1/door (regardless if the tenant has the portal active; regardless if they actually use EFT payment option) and it'll remain free to the tenant. Appfolio has a large community forum for its users, and there are MANY property managers who have left Appfolio over this. This is simply a money grab for a now publically traded company. The forum has talk of a class action. It's been a nightmare. We have 1200 doors and they didn't blink an eye when we told them we were looking for other options. Same for a few commenters on the forum who have over 10k doors. They don't care how long you've been with them, or the number of doors you have.Separately, Appfolio's customer support is lacking. Chat or opening a ticket are the only options, and the chat feature is rarely an option. We are looking to move to either Buildium or Rentvine. The AF community forum has many AF customers moving to those software options.

PROS

We were happy with Appfolio until their new charge for tenant EFT payments.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Overall functionality, bank set up, free portal/EFT payments for our tenants which they no longer have.

Real Estate, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2019

Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!

Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

PROS

Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

CONS

There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

Reason for choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and customer support.

Reasons for switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I started onboarding with Buildium when we first started our company but they were making the onboarding process too difficult so we switched.

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

Replied December 2019

Dean

Reviewed September 2018

Top 5 Things Tenants Don't Want You to Know About Using Appfolio and Why It Costs You.

I wouldn't manage property without it.

PROS

1. When Money is collected electronically you never have to think about who's paid and who hasn't. - Even with a handful of units, it's time consuming to collect checks and deposit them on a regular basis. This causes sloppy book keeping and helps tenants get away with not paying timely. 2. When a computer keeps track of payments late fees are always charged. - late fees get charged automatically. This trains tenants to pay automatically. No more not paying late fees. " It's already charged and it's part of your lease ". 3. When communicating with tenants electronically, there's a record of the conversation. - " I didn't say it was my fault ". This is no longer an argument. Every text, email, and even notes from phone conversations are stored in the tenant profile. 4.Utility billing can become a profit center instead of a nightmare. - When incorporating RUBS or just paying for the water bill, when done with the correct process, unpaid utilities can legally incur late fees which makes tenants pay them instead of sticking the owner with them at the end of the lease. 5. It's much easier to protect a property through liability insurance. - By using the automatic liability insurance module, there is much less of a chance in lapsing renters insurance and the property has a better chance of recuperating losses due to " I fell asleep while the stove was on ". Yes, this has actually happened.

CONS

Appfolio is not something you plug into your current systems. To do it correctly and efficiently you'll need to rework your processes around it. This can be good or bad. Depending on if you like creating systems. When you're done, you'll have an employee that never sleeps and takes care of a ton of your management tasks.

Hi Dean, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. It's great to hear that AppFolio is integral to running your property management business. We appreciate your partnership!

Replied January 2019