(1,167)

1,167

Browse AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

Joe from Latter & Blum Property Management

#1 single-family residential PM software

Our experience with Appfolio has been great! It has created efficiencies within our single-family division that didn’t exist previously. I’m optimistic that over time they will develop more features that will allow us to be even more efficient.

Pros

It’s robust yet easy to use, dependable, constantly evolving, their developers listen to their customer’s needs and if possible delivers, issues are handled quickly by their web based customer service team, and it’s affordable.

Cons

The layout of the property financial statements are subpar and difficult for our clients to understand; its not the best software choice to manage commercial or multi-family properties; it’s lack of customization

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I felt more comfortable. It seemed like the company was new, had a lot of money and energy behind it, and was here to stay. I was also sold on its perceived simplicity. Additionally, I liked that it was being used by other well respected single-family property management companies in the industry.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

It was too expensive and difficult for our single-family property managers to use. Appfolio also gave use the ability to accept online rent payments which has been a great help.

Sherry from T.R. Lawing Realty, Inc.

Appfolio Review July2021

Appfolio is a great product and takes a lot of the user labor out.

Pros

I love how you can tie everything in from property to owner to tenant. You can click on the amount in any report to review a transaction. Attaching PDFs to the statements are fantastic. Communication is wonderful.

Cons

The finer accounting pieces. I would love to be able to run the balance sheet and click on Operating Cash to see what the balance of each bank account that makes up the Operating cash, then if I want to see by property, I could click on that total.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We had another smaller company that we had been using Appfolio with and your upgrades throughout the years let us know you listen to your clients to improve your product. That was what helped us make our decision.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was the biggest reason, but Appfolio has a better user friendly, less keypunch product.

Brandy from Young America Realty, Inc

Appfolio Property Manager Review by User

Pros

The software has sped up and increased efficiencies in our staff and processes. There's been quite a bit of streamlining.

Cons

There's significant room for improvement in the reporting and work order area. The ability to also charge tenants on the recurring basis prior to their lease start is a large inconvenience for our company, where students payment dates begin 2 months prior to their occupancy. Going through and adding charges to every account we set up is inconvenient, and leaves a large room for human error.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Platform stability. Proposed increased efficiency.

Arell from Dunes of Naples

Dunes of Naples

we have invested over a year of our time and really need to have some one work with us on the set up. I have offered to pay for some one to fly out to us and provide housing to spend a few days with us. If that cant happen please assign someone to my account for just for a week so that we can move forward.

Pros

We thought it was user friendly, we liked the app, and through the demo process (8-10 sessions) along with we sent an organizational structure, a list of requirements and priorities. Those sessions led us to believe your software would fit our needs. We were told you were making investments at the organizational level and executive and development levels specifically with the Association product. We are committed to you but need you to be committed to us and provide some extensive help.

Cons

Many, Many, Many. Would value a productive meeting to lay out what we are missing on our end. We are a Condo Association which consist of 634 units and & high rises. I believe many of our issues are easily fixed but have not had any luck with most of them. Example: In roles under maintenance tech we need the tech to be able to take assign a work order to a vendor and have the ability to view architectural reviews. We elevated the techs to maintenance cords which allows them to now close a work order and bill which we do not want them to have that ability. Per your team they can not hide that option. The Association Profile is complicated because it is obvousily designed for apartment rentals and not Association. I believe the bones of the software are good and the Association piece can be developed but we were led to believe the software was further along on the Association profile.

Zak from Hale Resources, LLC

Growing Together

Appfolio was a great decision when I was looking at Property Management Software. I have used other software but this one saves me so much time and frustration. I could not imagine my team using any other tool.

Pros

One of my favorite things about this software is that I feel like Appfolio is growing with my company. The software has come so far in the last couple years with lots of new features. There have been multiple occasions where I have a problem and then in a couple days I get notified that Appfolio has created a solution to my problem. It is actually very weird but I don't believe in coincidences so I just right it off as a great partnership.

Cons

I wish that I could change the bank accounts that the properties use currently to a new one without having to work with someone at Appfolio.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I don't remember the other products I was looking at. However, I had talked to some people about Appfolio in the past and the small amount of feedback they gave made me know I wanted it.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

It took me 8+ hours to send owner packets because I had to download them and then send them in an email. Things like this were very time consuming and I felt that was a reoccurring theme across the software.

Voner from Sentinel Properties, Inc.

My AppFolio Experience

We have thoroughly enjoyed using AppFolio as our Property Management software. On the first page of this review I had to select "real estate" because we actually manage numerous multi-family properties and commercial properties. It has been a pleasure to use a software that was easy, makes sense, and being able to customize things to suit your individual needs. The only negative feedback I would have, is the time you have to wait for an answer from tech support, if it is not an easy question you can get resolved on a chat. And at times, chat is not available either. That has been my most challenging thing because a lot of times, my problems come up with a time sensitive issue and I wait much longer than I would prefer. I understand there are other customers, and I get that. My past experience with tech support has never been to wait more than a few hours and at the most one day. Hopefully, that can improve because otherwise, we just love this software!!! Thank you so much for making our jobs much easier :)

Pros

It is user friendly and it makes sense! It allows you to edit and change where necessary, without a lot of headache. We all love AppFolio!

Cons

Conversions are always challenging, so that was probably the toughest part of the process when we changed from another software. Everyone was great though to work with and helping us get everything up and running.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The presentation and just the first impression of it was very appealing and we felt from the beginning that it would be our best pick and so far we have found that to be true!

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Because that software was a horrific experience. We only had it 12 months, and that was 12 months too long.

K David from Oculus Realty, LLC

Long Time User Still Enamorede

We have been using for over eight years with no plans to change. The software continues to improve, often from user comments and experiences.

Pros

AppFolio's user interface is the best in the business. They're short development cycle offers continued platform improvements. The software does every we need as a small owner/operator.

Cons

The lack of an open API. Support not as responsive as it was.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Best in class, elegant user interface, responsive design, early to market (we made decision eight years ago).

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Better user interface and price point.

Daniel from Andesite Property Management

Total Solution

We are very pleased with the software as it supports every aspect of our day-to-day operation.

Pros

Appfolio continues to add features which increase efficiency and allow our organization to provide better service at a lower cost.

Cons

We occasionally experience accounting issues which we do not always know the solution for. Most of these are not an issue with the software, but getting answers to these questions can sometimes take a day or so.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I cannot recall exactly what caused us to choose Appfolio, but I believe it was the first option that I thoroughly explored and found that it provided a solid solution. I did not seriously explore other options afterwards.

Joi from Aborn Properties

All encompassing, easy to get started, easy to use and easy to train

We trained a new bookkeeper during the pandemic 100% remotely due to the ease of learning to use this software.

Pros

Excellent full service solution that constantly improves driven by user suggestions and any changes in legislation.

Cons

Application flexibility - more fields need to be mandatory or have the user determine which is mandatory.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Previous accounting system required a separate marketing company and an accounting company to provide for digital advertising. The software integrated those two features seamlessly.

CHARLIE from Southern Investors Management Inc

CANNOT PROVIDE DETAIL REPORTING

They dont seem to have a handle on their data. Their accounting is extremely cumbersome. They lump transactions together. They sometimes put credits as negative income. So you have to look in 2 places . Their reconciliation process is difficult.

Pros

EASE OF USE.

Cons

APPFOLIO IS UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO PROVIDE DETAIL REPORTS. We received a 1099-k IRS report and Appfolio could not provide us with the detail of what made up the report. The reporting they gave us was OFF by almost 5%. We asked for detail. This is their response: I promise if we had such a granular report that you are requesting, I would gladly send it over. We simply do not have such a report. Keep in mind we have been adhering to these IRS 1099-K guidelines for years with tens of thousands of clients operating in every state of the country. Not once has this been presented to us as a blocker by any CPA in their ability to execute a tax return or cited as a compliance issue. We can isolate credit card transactions as well as chargebacks for you but the final figure is not going to tie back to the exact dollar of the 1099-K for the previously mentioned reasons in the letter you received. This is not a minor discrepancy. Over $13,000. Which CLIENT do I credit that income.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use. Did not realize their accounting would be so cumbersome.

Cloud based

Frank from PadSplit

Solid, Full-featured system for RE investors and PMCs

The software works great, from your first property to your 400th, so it's easy to scale with.

Pros

Easy to use, on the cloud, has everything you need to run a RE business, from payments to ticketing to accounting. Love the PayNearMe integration.

Cons

Totally closed system (no open API), so it's impossible to integrate other things with. Their in-house call center is expensive and poor value for the money, considering wait times.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Already was familiar with the software, and it had a modern-interface. Also wasn't desktop-based, like Rent Manager is/was.

Stacey from MD Squared Property Group

Newer user, Pleasant surprises, and managing challenges.

Our implementation team was great. We tested one building in the system (paid for it, not free) so that we had a real idea of what using it would be like. That gave part of our team a positive advantage. It is very easy to use although the language takes some getting use to and often at times -- people are up in arms about changes. If you can handle that, this software will be a great success.

Pros

It can be very user friendly if you invest the time to take advantage of what the system offers. It offers A LOT. When one thing doesn't work the way you want it to, it doesn't mean the system is bad. It is actually REALLY GOOD. It helps us encompass a lot of different platforms into one which was the main reason we chose it. We were pleasantly surprised how much we like using the software.

Cons

In our market, there are several items or tasks we need to perform or things we need to track that are often overlooked by property management software. Appfolio does know how to handle one task that is critical but it is not fully functional. When we choose the software, we thought because it was marketed as something that handled "NYC DHCR" leases but that's is misleading. As we were going live, we found out that it has limitations which resulted in us not being able to fully utilize in the way we thought we would. Once you discover things like this, it is quite difficult to get a total solution that is easy or quick available for use. This creates a real challenge and means we have to work around it but we want to be hopeful that we can help them continue to make advancements to fully handle the NYC market. In the meantime, we are stuck with challenges.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The user experience and ease of navigation.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The product we were using was a dinosaur and it did not fully integrate with other platforms that we used.

Angela from RTK Rentals, LLC

Appfolio - Great Property Management Software!

Overall we are pretty happy with it. We wouldn't trade it with any other product at this time and feel it has real value for our business. The shortcomings are outweighed by the positives. It's a bit pricey, but they are constantly upgrading their product. Customer service is pretty good but takes way too long sometimes, but other times they are very quick and they do have a lot of help provided in videos or online. Even though some of it can be difficult, it really helps us keep our books accurate and the communication aspect with our tenants is extremely helpful. We would definitely purchase it again.

Pros

It really helps keep everything in one place, organized and accurate. I love that they are always improving by upgrading or adding new features. One of the best things is all of the training they offer. There are multiple videos and training seminars, as well as regular conferences and a full help menu with instructions ready at hand. They are super friendly and always willing to help. The yearly customer conferences are great!

Cons

There are definitely features that are missing or could be improved, but they are constantly working on their product so some of the features missing in the past have been implemented and they have suggestion boards you can add a suggestion or vote on for new features. It can be pretty difficult sometimes to fix some of the accounting issues, but they do provide help. Sometimes customer service can take too long though, anywhere from 1 day to a week and that can be a hassle when you're trying to get things done.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio had more features.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We needed actual property management software, rather than just accounting software.

Derek from TruHome Property Solutions

Modern Software for a Modern World

I love AppFolio. It really does make our jobs 10x easier. Property management is not glamourous and it is not easy, AF helps us make it just a little bit easier and glamourous. AF is a great platform that we enjoy using on a daily basis.

Pros

AppFolio fits in great with our culture and our business. It evolves as we do and caters to our needs. The "What's New" features are something that is looked forward to whenever they roll out. The ease of use is great and makes it very easy to onboard new employees and cross-train existing staff.

Cons

The #1 feature that would benefit our company would be a more streamlined and customizable API so that we could connect with other tools that we use. I think some of the APM Plus features should be included with the non-Plus version, or give us mid-sized businesses some a la carte options. THE WORKFLOWS! I love these workflows but they are too complicated for the lamen. I am fairly tech-savvy and it's too much for us. We've partnered with another outside company to create many workflows and automation using Monday.com and we would LOVE these to be inside AF.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The modern feel to it and the ease of use.

Allison from ARG REALTY AND PROPERTY MANAGEMENT

Promising Software / Horrible customer service

I could have had a great customer experience with appfolio, if they had better trained staff to answer your questions in a timely manner

Pros

I like the customization of this software. It is ideal if you manage a variety of portfolios. The dashboard and tasks menu are placed well and easy to navigate. The software uses a tab feature that allows to easily work with different tasks at a time. Excellent reporting features. Great mobile app

Cons

HORRIBLE customer service. The software is extremely robust, which will normally be a good thing. However, with that comes a lot of questions. Unfortunately only 1 out of 5 agents can help you. Most issues will have to be advanced to a senior agent . Once that happens you will have to EMAIL what your issue is or wait anywhere from 3-7 days for a scheduled phone call. So if your issue is time sensitive you are simply out of luck. I am seasoned property management professional, and I have worked with many softwares. Appfolio, by far is one of the most difficult I have worked with. There is countless steps to complete everything. Of course that allows for a lot of customization, but understand it takes a long time to learn it. Additionally there are promised features that don't work well. For example text messaging. You can text within the software, but there is no push notification. So if you are not inside the software or checking you email constantly, you won't know someone sent a text. So Pointless!!!. That is just one of many. There is reason there is no free trial and they bound you to a one year contract.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

selling agent presented the product well. seemed like a good fit

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The software seemed to present more with a diverse portfolio

Response from AppFolio

Replied April 2021

Hi Allison, thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. We do have a guaranteed response rate of 24-48 hours but many issues to require us to follow-up with more information is it is a more complicated accounting question. We do have a robust Help & Training center if you need assistance with accounting. We hope we can improve your experience moving forward!

Michael from Rittenhouse Management Corp

Better than expected

Pros

The ease of use and mobile app make this software very useful for property managers. For leasing, the application and lease signing process is pretty seamless once set-up. The Online Portal is also great as it helps cut down on unnecessary emails or calls to the office. Residents can pay rent, submit requests for maintenance, and sign lease renewals all through their Online Portal. The lease renewal interface is one of my favorite features as it has really cuts down on the amount of time I spend drafting and preparing renewals. This software offers a lot and they are always pushing out updates and new features which is great.

Cons

The biggest problem is customer support. Some requests take days or weeks to hear back from someone and in property management, we typically don't have days or weeks to wait for a fix to a problem we are experiencing. However, when someone does help, they tend to always be able to resolve our problems. I would also like to see more customization to the software. Little things like being able to add my own "reasons for move-out" to the drop down when selecting a reason for a move-out. Also adding the option for management to select "preferred/available times" when entering a maintenance request for a resident. Residents have this option when submitting via the online portal, but management does not if they are entering a request on behalf of a resident. The work around is just writing it in the access notes, but that seems disconnected since user submitted requests will show the preferred times in a different section so maintenance staff may overlook it since it will be in a different spot than usual.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio seemed to have the most feature rich content and interface. Yardi Breeze was too new and lacked many basic features at the time we were looking to adopt new software. We needed to hit the ground running with all of the necessary features so we decided AppFolio was the right choice.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The Yardi Genesis software was not web based and only worked on 1 single computer and could not be used remotely. We needed software that was more inline with the times.

Response from AppFolio

Replied April 2021

Hi Dennis, thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback.

Mario from Arizona Foothills Realty, Inc.

Appfolio: An Overall Property Management Solution

Appfolio definitely makes up for any short comings with their innovation and user friendly interface. We like their attention to detail and their progressive attitude towards the future of online property management solutions. I've used other property management systems in the past and they all have significant downsides, whether lacking in their online integration, being too complicated, overkill or some other glaring issue. We like and have grown to depend on Appfolio. Even with it's slight flaws, which are minimal, but hey, no online property management software is perfect.

Pros

We love the ease of use, flow of the interface, and the online integration, the cost is inline with other comparable software, so you definitely get what you pay for. We wish we could make use of all of the features the software has to offer, as there is so much to choose from. Their customer services is upstanding, and we make good use of the 24 hour tenant maintenance support line. We've used Appfolio for 6 years now, and so far we've had a good experience.

Cons

The cons while important are minimal. We face underlying program issues, such as with rent charges. The system is set up for 1st of the month rent charges ONLY, but we have different rent due dates ranging from the 1st to the 15th. This causes havoc for us as some tenants with due dates other than the 1st get charged twice in the longer months. We have to pay them back and it can be very frustrating for them as they have to wait days for their funds. As well the tenant's online portal doesn't always show the correct amount owed as it automatically includes charges for the upcoming month, which confuses most tenants. The ease of use is also a double edged sword since if not careful, as with a lot of programs, you can make system changes, and data or journal entry mistakes that can be difficult to fix. While the customer support is helpful they are not always the end all, so you might be expected to fix your own problems if needed. In some cases customer service can only take you so far. If the issue is long lasting they may start to wane on their responses to you with assistance or be unable to help you. But this is explained when you begin orientation so you should take the responsibility of educating yourself on the system before using it.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Besides being seemingly overall better than the others, they were the best at describing the data migration process, as this was one of our main concern at the time. Some other software systems had trouble migrating data from Yardi, and Appfolio specialized in it, which made us feel much more comfortable. They also have a lot of features we needed, such as report generation controls, online systems, and ease of use. Again at that time the data migration was a big issue as we were having problems with our current software company concerning our data.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi was sufficient in the past, pre-2008, but somewhere along the line they changed the format to be more complicated, to add they didn't even include online capabilities. So when we "upgraded" to Yardi Genesis it proved to be less user friendly than it's predecessor. The functions were clunky and just not intuitive, our accountant had to take class after class and read the entire manual over and over again to finally get it. Simple things such as charging late fees, rent receipts and even just looking up a tenant or owner statement was a process. The data back up was also a hassle, being that we had to have onsite servers holding the data. They finally rolled out their online solution which was a third party software company and it was very lacking, not to mention an added cost.

Brayden from Chateau Management

AppFolio is Powerful, Take the time to study it

Pros

This software is amazing. It has so many features from initial contact with prospective renters all the way through the rental process. It allows you to initiate online payments to vendors and owners. It is capable of creating HTML packets for posting to websites manually. It also posts automatically to about 30 other websites. It is awesome.

Cons

It has taken a lot of work to learn and I’m still learning a lot and I’ve been using it for 7 years. You have to treat it like learning a new language and dive in to understand each facet of the software.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio is consistently improving. It is organized and professional and the customer support is incredible.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Quickbooks couldn’t provide the services that AppFolio can. AppFolio brought our small property management company to a whole new level.

Benjamin from Bruce Properties

Well-Rounded & Reliable

Appfolio has world class customer service with extremely quick response time. Implementing the software was as easy as it could have been. It still takes time and effort, but it is certainly worth it to be on such a streamlined software.

Pros

I love the ability to track collections, maintenance orders, and Tenant info/documents from my smartphone. This software gives me the option to have any staff work remote as needed and still do our jobs at 100% capacity.

Cons

Appfolio does a nice job at continuing to develop better features. One area that needs improvements is the ability to do inspections. It takes forever for photos to upload while at the property and uses a ton of data. Would be nice to be able to have the inspections saved locally to the phone and then upload all at once while on WiFi. This would speed up inspections drastically. Improving inspection templates is also needed.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio had a sleek look and better support being offered.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We used a bunch of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. Data was easily messed up, and it offered no mobile features. It wasn’t specifically designed for real estate.

Response from AppFolio

Replied April 2021

Hi Benjamin, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Brooks from 2B Living

Best software on the market

Overall, we are extremely happy customers and plan to be Appfolio customers for life.

Pros

Appfolio has not only a lot of functionality, but is easy to use across our entire organization. It has become the primary backbone of our property management business and we truly view Appfolio as a Partner, not a technology service provider.

Cons

Our primary critique with Appfolio is that they tend not to let other good real estate tech products plug into their software via API. In other words, they like to build new products/functions in-house instead of via partnership or integration. There are pros and cons, but in general I would like to see Appfolio play nicer with other prop tech products.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio is a superior product and company who actively invests and innovates.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Propertyware was an inferior product with a lot of problems and was not going to let us scale our business and be as successful as we have been.

Susan from Hi-Valley Development Corp.

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Product features, product was intuitive and user friendly, great data migration and training support, peers in the industry where making similar choice, strong reviews, the sales team provided full transparency, and the cost was reasonable given the features and benefits this product provided.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

ACS was phasing out when purchase by Real Page and their alternative solution was not attractive to us.

James from Adams Housing, LLC

Great Initially but Caters to Larger Companies Now

My overall experience has been generally positive however I wish they would offer the same features and services to all of their clients regardless of their portfolio size. If you already have the technology available and a cost structure in place to offer these services, I don't see how portfolio size matters. Overall, it's a good product but they're starting to nickel and dime customers for services previously included in the monthly subscription prices. They're also releasing a lot of cool new tools such as the artificial intelligence assistance however you should verify that you're going to be able to access all of the tools you want to before signing up as you might discover that you don't meet their minimum portfolio size to take advantage of such features.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and that it's got everything integrated from inspections to maintenance to accounting to contract management. It also posts my listings to a bunch of websites automatically.

Cons

It was initially a perfect fit for our company. We wanted our website and property management software integrated and we loved the features such as the tenant portal etc. In the past couple of years, it seems that they are gearing themselves more toward large companies (1000+ units) as they are only making certain features available to their larger clients (i.e. Lisa AI / artificial intelligence secretary) despite having the technology already to accommodate all clients regardless of company size. Additionally, we paid a lofty website setup fee when we originally enrolled in the software in 2014. They charge anywhere from $1000-5000 to redesign the website and as of March 2021, they are forcing everyone to migrate their website over to a new design and imposing a monthly fee to host the website in addition the the regular monthly fee.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Because it was a better value for the money and seemed more user-friendly.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We wanted something more integrated and that allowed more than one user at a time.

Daniele from Pembroke Realty Group

Easy to Use and Always Improving

Pros

AppFolio is so easy to use! When learning a new task, we often find ourselves exclaiming, "That's it?!" The program is easy to set up and use. AppFolio has allowed us to automate many of our processes including posting rents, calculating management fees and owner distributions, processing payables, tracking tenant and vendor insurance, recurring work orders, sending monthly financial packets and much more. We love that all of our owners and tenants have access to a portal and that communicating with them via email or text is quick and effortless. When we do need help, the AppFolio team is always there for us. From onboarding through support, you know that the AppFolio team is there to help and make sure you're making the most of the program. We couldn't be happier with our decision to use AppFolio!

Cons

A big portion of our portfolio is Commercial. I think AppFolio was originally geared toward residential management. They've made a ton of progress toward commercial properties, but sometimes I wish the commercial features were more robust (example: CAM recoveries). Though this is sometimes a "con", we do not regret our decision to use AppFolio for our entire portfolio. They continually add new features and improve old ones, so I'm confident that we'll see more robust commercial features in the future.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Our previous application was cumbersome and quite expensive. We found that they had great features, but every feature seemed to come at an additional fee. With AppFolio, all of the great features are included! We haven't experienced any "surprise" fees from AppFolio.

Susie from ManCo Property Services

New Features Added Almost Daily

Streamlining client and tenant on-boarding. Utilization of online apps, leases, renewals, inspections, and management contracts.

Pros

We have had great success with AppFolio. Our interactions with customer service are productive. It seems like new or updated features are being added almost on a daily basis. Users can drill down into reports with more precision, new options are added on tenant and owner portals, and improvements to the dashboard customization are only a few examples. The company listens to their customers needs and wants - and then delivers! We have no intention of shopping for a new software company for our property management needs.

Cons

Reporting is hard to learn for new users. I believe this is because there are so many options, with new options being added all the time.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I do not know the details.

Danny from Absolute Cam Services

Industry: Facilities Services

Data Configuration and Segregation of Data by Association

I think overall it has been a good experience but the on-boarding team should highlight the things we need to do to make it easier down the road when we grow to more that 2 or 3 associations. When doing work for an association we need ways of setting temporary defaults to allow to do billing, payments, reporting etc. without having to enter the association over and over. Even this survey was not set up right. You ask what the industry was and none of them dealt with what we do like Association Management.

Pros

It is easy to use for sure and support and on boarding was great.

Cons

The product is too slanted toward rentals or property management with one association. If you had 60 associations in a portfolio you have all your GL Accounts, Bank Accounts, Vendors all together. This is just good design from a functional stand point making customers name things to know the difference. You should keep things separated by Association. Weak design from a data structure point of view making it fit the small companies but not good for the larger portfolios.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

All-in-one vs Integration model Communications Accounting Management Portal /CAM / Director / Owner Maintenance / Work Order / Vendor management Violations / ARC / Electronic Forms / Click and send from remote devices

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Needed internet based association management product and this looked better at the time. However now I see Appfolio switching to add new features you charge by volume which meant you are going to nickle and dime us to death. I may not have chosen Appfolio had I known you were not going to add new features even if it meant increasing price rather than charging for everything by volume. No one can budget for that and we do not like that direction. We may switch to another product if you keep this up.

Joseph from Windermere Property Management by Ebright/Wight LLC

Great Software, Better Tech Support

Fantastic software.

Pros

User interface and tech support. The user interface is intuitive, more often than not at least, and the tech support is incredibly responsive and helpful.

Cons

It is build on a Cash basis accounting system (extremely helpful for property management but numbingly difficult for COA/HOA management, which is by definition an Accrual game)

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We were using TOPS for association management, and frankly I don't even know where to begin with TOPS. So, okay, there were a few things we could do with TOPS that would be helpful in Appfolio, like being able to hard key "Retained Earnings" (specifically because there is literally no such thing as retained earnings in non-profit organizations) However, TOPS customer service was abysmal, their software was unreliable in even basic function (recurring items wouldn't always recur), and they would sometimes drop uploaded information. Furthermore, I am supremely confident that, with Appfolio, the tech team is so thoroughly dedicated to improving the product that the few issues I have with it in Association Management will soon be resolved.

Brandon from RE/MAX Results Realty

Requested Features Still Have Not Been Added

The software does a very good job, I fee like they could make some changes to make it a little more customizable and it could be great!

Pros

The accounting is the most robust I have found and do like most of those features.

Cons

I am still unable to text all my tenants at once for emergency situations, this has been requested for years now by hundreds of managers along with myself and its obvious that Appfolio does not listen to most requests no matter how many people have asked for it. I also do not like that I cannot use an outside screening source and the very high cost to screen through appfolio. I also do not like the high cost of a website.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I was referred by another property management company that I know the owner of.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The product was not function and had a lot of issues.

Marna from Summit Realty

Moved from desk top to online Appfolio

My business was desk top based before Appfolio. I had no idea that we were in the dark ages and since we have upgraded to Appfolio the business much more efficient in comparison. Our owner client base has increased in the past year. The website is user friend to navigate, applying is simple, great layout and appearance. I feel fortunate be with Appfolio since most of us do not see each other and the office is close to the public but we are still able to work efficiently even from home. Best decision I ever made for my brokerage.

Pros

The program is intuitive. If you think through the process of how something should work...that is Appfolio in a nutshell. The programming and processes just make sense. The interface is user friendly and I am very fortunate to have found this program and would highly recommend this online software. It's increased our reach in advertising rentals, streamline our communication with owners and tenants, higher efficency in processing work orders and simplified our bookkeeping.

Cons

I do not have a background in bookkeeping so there are areas that mistify me such as clearing accounts, what constitutes a debit or credit in some areas of the program since a negative symbol is not always a debit in the system. I've only been doing this for 1.5 years but I'm learning. I've hired an additional company who is proficient in Appfolio to assist me since I am still in the learning curve.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

My bookkeeper was retiring and the current desk top system would not work. I did a lot of reviews of different online property management systems and Appfolio always seem to be a preferred. I received a demo and was very impressed so I made the 3 month transition of data and haven't looked back. Thank you for creating this system! Bravo!

Shawn from Beacon Management, LLC

Would recommend AppFolio

Automated reporting, and records management for property managers is efficient and works well.

Pros

Easy to use and understand at the site level in most respects. Reporting to various owners is automated. Includes free on line payments for our residents.

Cons

The marketing of vacant units to various advertisers was a real plus but this has gone downhill since we originally adopted use of AppFolio.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio is better understood at the site level and over time AppFolio accounting features have become more robust.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Training to many people is more efficient in Appfolio and automation of accounting report and owner reporting.

Sherry from TR Lawing Realty Inc.

Appfolio Review

I love Appfolio and how they always are trying to improve the software!

Pros

Easy navigation throughout each piece. The leasing and accounting flows easily to the reporting. All of the pieces link very nicely.

Cons

The balance sheet sums all of the bank accounts into operating cash and escrow cash. It makes it hard to see individual bank account balances on the balance sheet. The late fee program is very laborious when dealing with 2000+ units and residents. The minimum fee bills on a unit even if you didn't collect income. There is a lot of work to make sure we don't bill when the unit is vacant.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Previous experience with a small portfolio.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio was much more user friendly and cost less.

Marianne from E.V. Bishoff Company

Streamlined Accounting

Appfolio has streamlined Accounts Receivable. The lookup function is great, the ability to text is fantastic. Communicating with tenants is much easier.

Pros

Flexibility and ease of use. It allows you to delete transactions and edit them. Great training videos and articles. Enhancements and updates are made regularly.

Cons

Inability to assign due dates on manual invoices and an easier override of monthly late charges, making the latter process quite laborious. My only other criticism is applying credits in the diagnostics panel. It should populate the fields and then let you edit. Instead you have to enter everything line by line.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and two very talented sales rep who made our choice a no brainer.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Skyline was very inflexible, no training provided, not user friendly.

Chelsey from Asset Property Managemet

Easy to use, no major flaws

The experience has been amazing. Customer service is quick, and we were able to decrease the amount of physical checks in our business office by 50% in the first two years.

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software. It gives me so many options for reporting, investigating any issues, and my tenants love that they can pay online and request maintenance online as well. I love the look of it, it is modern without being gaudy.

Cons

I only wish that changing ownership for 1099 reporting was easier (IE partners that get monthly distributions but want the 1099 reported to the partnership name)

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We tested several products most of which I forget the names of now, eventually landing on Appfolio because it gave us the widest range of options while only having a few things missing from what we wanted.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The product we were using was server based, and our server was outdated and slowly dying with frequent crashes. We wanted something cloud/online based so we could get away from utilizing an on site server, thus cutting out the cost for server maintenance and backup.

TJ from Pioneer Management

Great Product but support has changed

Most items have been great. The software meets most of our needs. The UI is great. The leasing call center was a disappointment on the time it took for our callers to get someone. So we had to move away from that service. Tech support was great for many years. I'm not sure if things have changed or staff is short but it takes longer and longer or no response at all when I put in a support request. When I started in 2010 it was almost instant service and or someone called and walk us through the problem we were having. Now its basically email-only tech support which is the same information that I can get from the help and training section and or no call or no email. I'm not sure what has happened over the last few years.

Pros

ease of use, good ui, handles most of our issues in property management.

Cons

Suppressed fees and or items paid directly to the property management company first go to the property and creates extra work to correct each month. For instance application fees. The fees are paid to the property then repaid to the management company. Then if you have a reason to refund that fee it creates a diagnostic issue to refund back. Its just extra work that is not needed. If the fees were able to be paid directly to the management company and bypass the property all together it wouldn't make much difference.

UI looks like Windows 94

Service started to suffer

corinne from code management

Only one complaint

I love the software, I hate how much it cost me. Please adjust for the small end user

Pros

Easse of use and how everything is tied in from advertising the unit to renting it, leasing and collecting the rent then finally moving them out :)

Cons

Cost, I think it is too expensive. I do not understand why when you have more and more users my bill keeps going up. for God's sake scottie send this small business owner a line..we are drowning in the cost but can't compete without the software....so I pay..

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Oddly enough at the time it was reasonably priced.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio worked more like a property manager than QB - online access for all and WEb site intigration

Morgan from Lux Communities

AppFolio is good, but still some features that I WOULD LOVE

Since we have upgraded to AF plus and a dedicated rep I think that we have been able to use AppFolio more for what we want vs, what the greater good does.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. I like customizing our own reports and how easy it is. It's exciting when "what's new" comes out and figuring out how we can us it!

Cons

What I find as a pro is also a con. It is customizable, but the reporting we have to do more "workarounds" to get our desired info and often these workarounds are not 100% accurate. Such as commission tracking, rental reporting for team members, renewals and screening process is basic. I think that appfolio is close but I think they could up the game with more functional guest cards and follow-ups where we take control and customize.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Yes and no. There is time with reporting and financials (having variance reports would be an amazing feature!) that I say Yardi would be easier, but I also think that AF is great for other aspects

Drew from MH Properties

Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies

The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

Pros

First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

Cons

I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost vs. benefits. We are a medium size company (750 multifamily/single-family units) and did not need as many bells and whistles.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was a factor, but mostly not having good advertising with Buildium.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

Sarah from Beacon HOA Management

Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!

Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

Pros

Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

Cons

There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and customer support.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I started onboarding with Buildium when we first started our company but they were making the onboarding process too difficult so we switched.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

CJ from ICM Rescources, Inc.

Very Nice Property Management Solution

I have used Appfolio as a maintenance technician, property manager and now accountant for the whole portfolio and I have had a pretty easy time with it every step of the way. I would recommend to at least give it a try before selecting another software.

Pros

Easy to use for users of all skill and job levels. Makes tracking Receivables and Payables very simple. Constantly being updated and enhanced with new features at no new cost (some do cost but the majority are free updates) Customer support is always quick to help and respond. I feel like I get the same support agent 95% of the time, which makes it feel comfortable and like a working relationship rather than some random customer support person every time.

Cons

Some of the editing and finer tuning options are lacking. (Example: not being able to rearrange line items on a bill or journal entry. You can only delete or add new to the bottom, no editing between without having to manually redo everything from the edit down.)

I am not sure.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I am not sure, the switch was made before I began working with the software all together, I have just heard at the office that we used to use Yardi, not sure if it was Voyager or something else, I just chose it to select Yardi.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, CJ. We appreciate you leaving us a review. We are constantly listening to your feedback to inform our product and we'll be sure to forward your feedback to our Product Team! It's great to hear that you are using AppFolio in all areas of your business.

Jon from Allstar Property Services, Inc

Powerful - Easy to Use and Learn

AppFolio has been able to streamline and give so much more efficiency for day to day operations that we're able to scale our business at a much more dramatic pace.

Pros

The all encompassing ability to power a website to sophisticated accounting, maintenance controls, tenant/owner communications is all at your fingertips anywhere with a mobile device or computer.

Cons

If you're not a seasoned bookkeeper and you're managing somewhat sophisticated accounting of properties, you can dig yourself a hole real quick.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We got a better feeling with Appfolio and their sales team.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio had the capabilities that we needed that the previous software could not provide and are constantly improving the software. Appfolio has come a long way from 2 years ago!

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We know transitions to any new software solution can be tough and we're glad you chose AppFolio to streamline your business!

Jessica from JAB Property Management, Inc.

Sketchy at first, but FELL IN LOVE!

We have really grown to love Appfolio. It just simplifies life in the office and makes our job easier and allows us to be more efficient for our tenants.

Pros

This software can literally do everything. It is a one stop shop. I got rid of 7 different (paid) programs and now have JUST Appfolio- which does the work of all of them.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about the software except that they are still growing thus the functionality is still growing. I strongly disliked the "car salesman" pitch of the sales team. They promised a lot of things that the software couldn't deliver at first; however, we learned to get around it and in some cases, the functionality was built out (during our first year with them)and that feature is now available.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I did a side by side comparison and in the end, Yardi just couldn't keep up with the Appfolio functionality for the price.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi is very limited unless you pay the big bucks to expand the software.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the feedback, Jessica. We're glad to hear that you've grown to love AppFolio!

Deana from Statewide Property Management

Reports & Move-outs

I love it!! I just have a few request to make it perfect :)

Pros

The ease of applications and lease signing! I also like some parts of the reports.

Cons

The Unit Avail. doesn't show the name of the existing resident or the future one, so I have to transfer it to excel and add that for every property every 2 weeks. I'm always concerned about notices being put in correct. I can't print a report to show signed lease renewals by month.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Our Sales rep Jessi was Awesome!!

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We sold a few properties and made some company changes with new properties we added. We also added HOAs. Price and customer service were some of the biggest factors for the switch.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Hi Deana, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback and we are constantly striving to delight our customers through software improvements. Please continue to share your feedback with us!

Denise from The Management Group, Inc

Always evolving

We have been with Appfolio for 9 years - and during that time there has been significant improvements in the system. Our company is a heavy user and utilize as much of the functionality of the system that we can - and as such we are frequently asked to provide feedback to the development team when they are considering options. We are committed to our relationship with Appfolio, however, due to API restrictions, if we have much more growth we may need to consider alternative solutions.

Pros

The software is intuitive, user friendly and a stable platform. They a continually developing additional functionality and release updates regularly. The customer forum is great - you can collaborate with other users, seek our solutions and make recommendations that development will consider for future releases.

Cons

It does not have an open API and they are unwilling to consider this for clients. While they are routinely pushing out enhancements and are developing additional functionality, and they say the functionality is based on client feedback - it seems like development resources are not focused on this things that clients really 'need'.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi was more robust than we needed at the time - and their licensing model made the cost outside of our range.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The old system was not stable - we had issues with lockups and in accurate reporting. There was limited updates provided and we did not anticipate improvements.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for partnering with us over the last 9 years. Denise! We look forward to partnering for the years to come!

Vanessa from Herman Boswell, inc.

Promas to Appfolio - The Great Journey

As I said, onboarding was difficult. That was mainly due to how our dated was stored on our end and turnover we experienced during the transition. The service is amazing, and I can't imagine not having Appfolio.

Pros

Switching from Promas to Appfolio would be like switching from mailing a letter to emailing a letter. The service is faster, more reliable, easier to do, takes less time, is more efficient. My list could go on and on. The main features that caught our eye were the ability to accept rent payments online for seamless accounts receivable from tenants, and online maintenance requests. For so long, we would take maintenance requests by phone or email. It was unreliable at best. Having this online feature gives us a smooth workflow from work order submission to mailing a check for work completed. Truly, Appfolio has saved our office countless hours! Oh and the customer service is awesome! I love how quickly we get responses with actual answers to our questions that solve our problems!

Cons

The onboarding was very tedious. Our Promas software was housed on an internal server at our office. That is the primary reason our transition was not that smooth to start off. Overall, we don't have many complaints. Of course, we all want cheaper software, but you get what you pay for. There are a few tweaks we have requested that Appfolio has implemented, and they continuously have updates and new features. It's really exciting! I do wish our owners could see live feed of their account balances in their portal and run their own reports as they wish.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Customer reviews, and features available.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

It was very difficult to make changes in the accounting area, and the features were lacking.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the review. We know the transition to any new software can be tough and we're happy that you found our service to be helpful during that transition.

Vivian from Investment Realty, Inc.

They know property management!

This program allows us to do more work without having to add more personnel which helps the bottom line for sure.

Pros

It was very easy to set up the implementation team was very helpful. The user friendliness of using it every day is the best with it super search feature.

Cons

There are a few work arounds that we have to do for our maintenance team but we know with the new features they keep adding all the time it will only be time before they will make an improvement that will help with this work around like all the other ones that we used to have to do.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The other program at the time did not have any conversion to help transfer all our data over to the new program. We went through that with the old program and we was not going to go through that again.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The other program was so cumbersome to use that it took forever to do one task. I can't even imagine the growth we have done in our branch office what it would have taken to get that done with the old program.

Doug from HALO Managers corp

From Doug Hancock HALO Manager's Corp 1450 units under management

Pros

Ease of use, quick search, archived records, online payments, ability to scan files into clients portal, pay bills online. We basically did a 15-20 year upgrade . They said when we bought the software it would be like adding an extra employee to our office and after a years use, I would agree. The data entry alone for our bill payments was a two to three day job with our old software, now just a few hours to pay 300-400 invoices a month.

Cons

The biggest frustration that I have with the software program is during the transition from when a tenant gives notice to move out and getting a new tenant into that same unit. For whatever reason, when a tenant gives notice and we put that information into the system and click the notice prompt and give the date of their move out (usually 30 days). That unit is going to be vacant and we begin to market for a new tenant, however, when we find a new tenant and we want to put the new tenant name and the deposit money into the system under that unit, we are UNABLE to put a pending tenant into the system until there is a complete move out. We need to get that money in the bank and a new pending tenant into our upcoming move ins. Usually the way we have done it is to manipulate the move out dates and then put the charges in later when the real move out occurres They must be a way to put PENDING tenants into to a future vacant unit in an easier way. We love the software, but because we have 30-50 move outs and move ins each month, it is very frustrating that when a tenant gives notice, the program should then allow pending tenant information to be entered to that future vacant unit and right now we can't.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Old program was no longer being upgraded and no longer had any technical support. Program was very functional, but outdated.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Dear Doug, we appreciate your review. If you are trying to move in a new tenant while there is an existing tenant in the unit, just make sure that the dates do not overlap and you will be able to perform this action!

Cassandra from Northwest Select Real Estate Services

Good choice

I'm quite happy, overall. Integrations is my biggest challenge and what would drive me to leave, if I were to predict a reason. I'm having no issue working around it, but I'm about creating efficiencies which I feel like I am restricted from doing. So far it's been something I'm willing to work around since we're small and they have so many other great things about them.

Pros

We were on a somewhat antiquated system, so improvement was easy to recognize. AppFolio does a lot of things well. It improved connection with residents AND our ability to have better records both for tenants and for staff (liability support/reduction), and much easier for staff to know what is happening across the board with any one resident or prospect. We are still learning! The transition was fast and friendly. Loved their tenant liability option.

Cons

1) OnBoarding was very tech-oriented and a challenge to adapt easily because staff is working on a calendar. I have some a-ha moments that i just couldn't get the OnBoarding team to understand (even though they were very capable folks) because in this tech world, it's either a or b, there is no c option. Well, later I'm finding the c option IS available. 2) They make frequent updates, and communicate them well. The challenge is working them into your schedule to understand so you can stay on top of them because your team will do the same---someone needs to know them. 3) Other updates seem to be in holding status for way too long, when they'd help users so much. 4) Our biggest complaint is AppFolio's unwillingness to work with other software integrations. They really cripple my ability by being so protective of.....whatever it is. Most other softwares integrate fine. They do so much so well, I feel like it's time to stop being so proprietary. That would change any element of dissatisfaction that I encounter. It appears so flexible, but it's not. The larger companies don't all want their screening or leases....so I still am running other programs which is a pain. Their system doesn't work for me (having a one stop shop for 'everyone' isn't realistic) in all areas as it seemed to in the beginning. So modify your expectations. I would have still purchased, but been happier with where i landed.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Two easy reasons (I'd spent time prior reviewing): 1) A close colleague was using and really liked it AppFolio. 2) Buildium hasn't been as user friendly as other options.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

It was time to update and engage and embrace a switch. Our product was becoming antiquated and while we loved it, we desired the upgrades and a tech company bought our old one and wasn't going to update our product so they could bring in their competitive options.

Pamela from Maez & Company Property Mgmt

Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio

Pros

The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons

The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Better accounting was the main reason & the fact it broadcast properties on many other websites was a plus

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The accounting part of LiveRez was a nightmare!

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, Pamela. It's great to hear you are finding the accounting side of AppFolio easy to use!

Janee from The Jacques Company

Great product overall! Highly recommend!

Overall, I am very satisfied with AppFolio Property Manager. We run a tight organization and I attribute much to this software.

Pros

This software keeps me organized and on top of managing a large inventory of properties and clients. -It has a strong financial reporting side that encompasses everything necessary to operate and deliver to owners as well as tenants. -We receive great feedback from the tenants as this software provides a very seamless experience from application process all the way through move outs. -User friendly, easy to navigate. -Reports to Experian credit bureau and now RentBureau. -I also love that on the property page, tenant page, owner page we can add activity reminders. -The options of reports are great and the customization of them are endless. -Owners, tenants, vendors all have portals to work in giving them access to their information/accounts. -AppFolio is always working to improve features and add new services that could benefit property management companies. -Newer feature is an app for tenants to use to pay online and schedule maintenance. Love it! Many pros. You won't be disappointed.

Cons

Overall, I don't have many cons and really had to think up what our biggest frustrations are with the software. Not bad if this is all I could come up with. We work around it because overall we are very satisfied with the product. -Small improvements that need to be made based on user experiences are seemingly overlooked as not important. Example, you can now email tenants/owners from their page. If the email does not go through there is no notification so we are unaware that tenants/owners did not receive our communication. So for now, I do not use that feature if it is something I need to be certain is received by other party. -There is also a sensitivity with the new showings feature that if a booked party does not reply exactly with CONFIRM, then the booking will automatically cancel. It creates many headaches daily. Cannot reply with YES, CONFIRMED, OK, I'LL BE THERE, etc. -Owners would like real time details in their owner portal, not just past monthly reports to review. All of these items have been suggested to AppFolio to review for tweaking by many users.

Kendell from Integrity Place Realty and Property Management Co

Our experience with Appfolio

We used to have to make lots of phone calls and texts with people that want to see our vacancies. Now they can schedule viewings on our web site. We used to have applicants fill out paper applications. Then we would type in much of the information in the credit reporting software so we could run credit reports. Now, applicants complete an online application and we click a button to run the credit and background reports. Once we approve the applicant, we click a button to move them over as the tenants of the unit. It automatically emails and text's them a link to their own tenant portal where they can pay rent online and make maintenance requests online. Appfolio is like having one or two employees that don't need to use the restroom, take breaks or that you have to have workers comp insurance on or pay employment taxes for, etc. It truly is a great solution for property managers.

Pros

I love how easy it is to advertise our vacancies. Then the interested parties can schedule viewings and apply for the property right from our web site. Once we select a tenant, we can transfer all of their information from their application over to make them our active tenant with the click of a button. I love how easy it is for tenants to pay their rent online or at pay stations and it goes directly into our bank account and calculates the management fees.

Cons

The reports could be a little better. On multiple units, the reports don't break down the expenses by unit number very well. So, the owners aren't able to tell on their reports what a management fee charge was for because the charge isn't broken down by unit number. As a result, we get calls from upset owners and our accounting department has to create reports outside of the software to make sure the owners are satisfied. This takes extra time when the software could easily break down these expenses if it was programmed to do so. Our accounting department said that the bookkeeping side of the software could be better.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

It seemed to be much more user friendly and had more features that would work best for us.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio had more features and was more user friendly.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your review, Kendall! We appreciate the feedback.

chelsea from Sassouni Management

AppFolio Property Manager review

Pros

cloud based master search function often see new feature upgrades + introductions

Cons

Does not partner with other valuable services we use (compliance: site compli, external legal counsel, security deposit alternative products). Does not lend itself well to using external brokers for leasing purposes. Would like for EXTERNAL brokers to submit applications to us via the platform. Does not have a good case management system for individual projects and/or legal cases. Does not lend itself to very necessary compliance efforts. We require tenants to submit certain types of documentation to us on a yearly basis.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

clearly superior, although not perfect.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

old product was very archaic. Not cloud based.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,689 reviews