Bloomerang Reviews

4.68 / 5 (773) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 22 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "The product was easy to use and I love the reporting features. "

• "It is very easy to learn and the amount of information that it is able to store for us on our constituents is extremely helpful!"

• "It was easy to set up and has been easy to maintain"

• Cons

• "The new reporting is a little hard to get used to but has a lot of power and features."

• "Building reports can be a little tricky, but the reporting is flexible and informative."

• "It would be nice to have a more robust event and registration feature, but otherwise we are getting great service for what we are paying for. "

Browse Bloomerang Reviews

Jeff from American Venous Forum

Excellent for Most Non-Profits

At a prior non-profit, I switched them from Raiser's Edge (desktop) to Bloomerang. I gained a ton of features and saved quite a bit. The conversion was painless. I've only had to contact support a few times and they have always been extremely helpful. In my current role, I set them up with Bloomerang as their first database. I have also recommended it on multiple occasions.

Pros

Bloomerang is intuitive and easy to use. Creating and reporting with custom field has never been easier and really allows you to customize it to your needs rather than using a standard field for something else. The ability to create embedded forms is a lifesaver. The integrated email capabilities save me from having to purchase another solution like Constant Contact. Plus, these interactions are automatically recorded in the donor/prospects data file. The integrated DonorSearch option is convenient, useful and cost-effective.

Cons

If my organization ran a ton of events, I'm not sure this would be my optimal solution. Currently, there is only one level of access - so I can't let a Board Member in to look around because any accidental changes they make would be permanent. I know that Bloomerang is working on this though.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Ease of use, integrated forms/email/DonorSearch, custom fields

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Price, convenience, flexibility, cloud-based, ease-of-use.

Xavier from Ramsdell Regional Center for the Arts

Industry: Performing Arts

Bloomerang is the affordable and easy-to-use software you've been waiting for!

Pros

The dashboard! I live there most of my days. It's so customizable. How you track your constituents, whether they are a business or individual/household, is completely open-ended. It's scalable. The reporting feature is essential to any software. Bloomerang has nailed it. They even have scheduled reports as a function. MailChimp integration = a life saver. Bloomerang's email feature is tremendous, but I use MailChimp regularly. Send an email through MailChimp and track the interaction in Bloomerang, all automatically. So efficient!

Cons

I wish there was a way to sync Bloomerang with our ticketing software. That was my biggest question to the developers of ticketing and Bloomerang. More options for merchant solutions. It's limited to some of the most expensive in the market. I would be able to use even more Bloomerang features if they integrated with CardPointe.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang fit our business model and met our needs.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Excel does not track relationships between data unless you spend an awful amount of time programming it into the sheet. It was hard to track multiple transactions per donor. And the interactions, too.

December 2015

Brian from Portland Adventist Community Services

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

December 2015

Great concept, but flawed and in need of significant improvement

Pros

Simple and intuitive on the surface. Donation/timeline entries are fast and easy. Letter generations is mostly easy. As long as you're not serious about getting legit data out of your software, and don't need to make major mass improvements due to the collateral damage of importing from other software, you might like it. Customer support is probably the best I've ever had.

Cons

No mass update option--has cost us dozens of hours of productivity. Some of their reports use bad math, but apparently they're working on fixing that. It's impossible to run certain kinds of reports that were easy in other software. They're apparently working on a big improvement to reports, but it's going to be months before it comes out. Email newsletter option is insanely feature-sparse--had intended to switch to it, but after trying to use it and discovering it's limitations, I'm sticking with MailChimp. There's not way to export letters in an editable form (pdf download is the only option). In general, I've lost SO MUCH functionality and productivity after my switch from eTapestry. I do believe they are genuinely trying to grow and improve this product. They at least don't stonewall some of the criticism and acknowledge things that need improvement, but their capacity to actually improve the product and fix bugs seems extremely limited. Fixes and improvements come out about as fast as molasses pours in Antarctica, and there's an obvious disconnect between what the developers think is needed, and what real fundraisers actually really need.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied April 2020

Hey Brian, thanks for your comments. We always appreciate hearing constructive feedback from customers, and we do take it seriously! You now have the ability to edit individual letters without the need to export! https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/ We also now have a Mailchimp integration! https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-bloomerang-mailchimp-integration/ We're always making improvements, so be sure to keep an eye on the http://bloomerang.co/changelog and in-app notifications for all the new feature updates we will be rolling out!

Summer from South Michigan Food Bank

We love Bloomerang!

Overall, we are extremely happy with Bloomerang! Switching to this product has made our daily processes much smoother.

Pros

We greatly appreciate the ease of this product. It is simple to learn, simple to use every day. We integrated from a very outdated and very messy product. Bloomerang's team was very thorough in cleaning up our data and helping us along this entire process. Bloomerang's support is also excellent!

Cons

Occasionally, our team struggles with the reporting element in Bloomerang. For the most part, we are able to get everything we need from reports. However, there are times where the reporting feature is a bit complex and difficult to use. We are thankful that support is available to assist when issues occur.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We chose Bloomerang because of the support availability, ease of use, cost, the ability to easily integrate, and reporting.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Our product was outdated, difficult pull any report, limited resources for support, and we wanted a smoother product to communicate via email with our supporters.

Lauren from Children's Association for Maximum Potential

A great product, a great addition to our organization.

Overall a great experience, I am very pleased with the software and am glad we made the decision to use Bloomerang.

Pros

I love how much data Bloomerang tracks and how easy it is to extract. The product is very intuitive and it makes thanking donors and tracking emails/interactions very easy. Several updates have been made and features added since our organization started using it, and I appreciate them listening to their customers to make the changes requested.

Cons

The list of people under "Tributes" cannot be searched or sorted by alpha order. Makes it difficult to determine whether someone has already been listed so not to make a duplicate entry. Cannot change a person's Tribute listing from "In Honor" to "In Memory", must create a new Tribute individual.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Word of mouth, colleague has used them before, customer service.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Not very user friendly, was switching credit card processors, so it made sense to move to a new software that integrated with the new credit card processor.

Christi from Plant With Purpose

Very solid CRM for mid-sized nonprofits

My favorite thing about Bloomerang is that it makes pulling reports accessible to a much wider group of people than our previous systems did. We used to need dedicated analysts to pull reports for the fundraising team, but with Bloomerang, even our most technologically challenged team members are willing to try running a report on their own.

Pros

My organization has been using Bloomerang for almost 5 years now. We choose it because we wanted a software that could help us manage a major donor cultivation strategy and a mass-marketing/email strategy at the same time. This software was the only one that we found that could do both of those things well. In the years that we've used Bloomerang, we've grown substantially (from a small-mid nonprofit to a fairly large one). It's been exciting to watch Bloomerang grow with us over those same years. They keep adding new features that address our growing needs. We originally thought Bloomerang might be the best fit software for a couple years, but we're still very satisfied and have realized that it can meet our growing needs for many more years.

Cons

There are some things that we have struggled with over the years, but most have been addressed with recent upgrades to the Bloomerang system. Our current biggest annoyance is that it's hard to filter out mass emails when looking at a donor timeline. We have a workaround for that, so it's not been a major challenge to date.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

eTapestry (and the other Blackbaud systems) were difficult to use. They intimidated many of our team members and required us to add extra administrative support to get information into the system. Bloomerang is substantially more accessible to a wide range of users and has all the tools we needed to grow.

Great Database for Smaller Organizations

Bloomerang is easy to use for the majority of people, but you do give up some customization options to get that ease of use. I think its a good database for smaller organizations, especially ones that don't have the staff or the time for a database administrator.

Pros

Bloomerang is very easy to use and very easy to set up, they also have a ton of resources and videos so if you can't figure something out right away, you'll be able to figure it out soon. The interface is very simple with all the options on the left hand side. The dashboard gives a lot of good data and its very, very easy to build either custom reports or use their canned report templates. Imports are also very easy. Household records are only counted as 1 record against your limit, which is nice.

Cons

The donation pages leave a lot to be desired. There's only a few things you can edit or customize unless you self host and know how to code html, css and java-script. The dashboard on the home page isn't customizable either, though it does give pretty good data by itself, it would be better if it were customizable.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang offers a lite plan for very small orgs under 750 records and with budgets under 100,000 so for a new organization just starting out, this was a perfect option that could grow with us, but not require too much of an investment to start.

Joanne from Bradley Free Clinic

Great Functionality for the Cost

The dashboard features are great for keeping me apprised of our overall donor status (retention, new donors) and monitoring my campaigns' status. I have found the education offerings to be very helpful. The topics are both useful and varied, and the staff that leads and provides the training is always knowledgeable. Also, the external providers who provide training and insights are top-notch.

Pros

I find the software easy to use and the report writing feature is also easy and meets my needs.

Cons

I would like to customize some of the forms we use, but have not found that way to do. Though in all honesty, I have not utilized customer service support to see if the answer here is easier than it appears.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

I understand that it was features and price.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

This decision was made well in advance of my joining the organization, so I am not sure.

Julia from Domestic Violence Resource Center of South County

Industry: Public Safety

Bloomerang Review

Overall, it has been a very interesting experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Bloomerang to another fundraising professional. It has really helped us with our donor stewardship.

Pros

The support and ease of use are the two most valuable attributes of Bloomerang. Support staff are always available, patient, and helpful. The interface is intuitive, is constantly being upgraded, and Bloomerang is very receptive to user suggestions and needs.

Cons

The conversion was difficult with the product we were using before, ETapestry. A lot was not transferrable and had to be addressed on a line by line basis to fix glitches once the conversion was complete.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Price Philosophy of philanthropy professionalism ease of use support built into price

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

ETapestry was too expensive and did not have adequate support built in for training. They wanted to charge us separately for an expensive training package.

Joe from Pearce Williams Summer Camp & Retreat Facility

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Great to grow your fundraising and stay on top of donor thank yous.

Pros

I love the look of the software - the dashboard, the profiles of the constituents. I like the lifetime giving chart and the level of giving - hot or cold. I love the reminder to call first-time donors.

Cons

The learning curve for reporting and getting the information that you need out.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

For donations and tracking Bloomerang was far superior in its ability to help with campaigns, emails and much better interface for the donor tracking.

Paula from Children & Family Resource Center

Donor Management Can Be Functional ... and Fun

The reporting and tracking features make forecasting and budgeting process so much easier. I also love the extras like generosity level and True Givers. These bonuses have helped me track down some great new donors.

Pros

I came for using another donor management software that was dull and reports were impossible to obtain. My first view of Bloomerang had me falling in love with it's interface. It doesn't just work right, it functions the way I think. And it's so pretty. I don't know about you but I need something that I stare into for hours to be easy on the eyes and Bloomerang's color scheme and playfulness makes it less of a chore. I love the little button up top that links me to direct chat help. Almost weekly, I have someone help me make a new report that I think might be helpful. It's easy enough to do the reports on my own but sometimes their help makes my reports a bit less chunky. They help me weed through the data I don't need to get to what really matters. The support team is awesome, friendly, knowledgeable and willing! The integrations are great, too.

Cons

Not much I don't like about it but if I had to pick out one thing: I wish there was Social Media integration with more than just Twitter - IG and FB would seal the deal. Being able to produce an e-blast that translated to a FB or IG post would be ideal.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Ease of use, price, and flexibility.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

I wasn't here when that happened but my colleagues tell me it was too cumbersome and the reports were too hard to manage.

Kalie from Alpha Grand Rapids

Fantastic Software for Nonprofits!

Again, this software has been extremely beneficial to our organization!

Pros

Bloomerang has been a game changer for our organization. Our old software was essentially a slightly fancier version of excel with very limited options for tracking donor information and a time-consuming process for pulling reports of any kind. Also, we were limited to only the reports they provided and could not customize our reports in any way. Our favorite thing about Bloomerang is the fact that reports are completely customizable and unlimited in what we can track. Due to the fact that it is so robust, learning how reports function can be a little tricky at first. However, once you "learn the language" it becomes second nature and makes life SO much easier. We also love that we could add custom fields for constituents to track additional things like volunteer hours, what church our donors attend, etc. In addition, being able to connect donors to each other using the "relationship" function has been incredibly helpful. The customer service at Bloomerang is also fantastic. To this day, I still receive regular check-in emails from the very first person I spoke with at Bloomerang when I was just researching the software. That is so impressive to me! We have had very few issues with Bloomerang, but when we've had to reach out to support the customer service team has been prompt, kind, and helpful. Overall, this software is amazing and I highly recommend it!

Cons

We pay extra for the wealth screening tool but haven't always found it to be the most accurate. I'm not sure this is worth what we pay for it - or, we just need to take the time for someone to learn more about how to use it properly! Also, while we do use Bloomerang to send all of our receipts/letters, we haven't quite made the leap to sending emails through Bloomerang. There doesn't seem to be quite as many design choices as we would like, but again it's most likely just something we need to take the time to learn.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We did demos with Kindful, eTapestry, and Bloomerang. The demo with Bloomerang felt the most user-friendly and I got a really good vibe from the presenters. I felt that the team at Bloomerang truly cared about our organization and wanted what was best for us - even if that didn't end up being their software. The majority of Bloomerang employees have previous experience working at non-profits, so they understand what we are trying to accomplish and clearly have a passion for making the world a better place. I could feel that in every conversation we had with them from day 1 and it made them feel like the best choice for us. It's a choice we haven't regretted!

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

WayCool did not have the functionality we needed as our organization grew. The biggest thing we struggled with was not being able to customize reports, so we would end up running multiple reports and combining them by hand. This was very time-consuming and frustrating!

Ashley from Chatham Savannah Citizen Advocacy

Bloomerang for a small 2 person office

We use Bloomerang as CRM and Donor Database, we use the enewsletter functions, online forms.

Pros

User friendly for non database experts, easy reporting, easy production of thank you letters etc.

Cons

I am pleased. I am sure I don't use it to full capacity. I need to learn more about if there is any easy way to do ticketing. I have used Eventbrite for ticketing as their process is easier. I have used Give Lively for Peer to Peer fundraising. So there is room to add additional features to Bloomerang.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Price, ease of conversion, and ease of use

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

I found eTapestry to be complicated to use for my colleagues who were not very computer literate and they needed to use if as a CRM. I was looking for user friendly ease of use and ease of reporting.

Dustin from Marco Island Center for the Arts

Great Software for Non-Profits

Bloomerang is very much intuitive and easy to use. I love the fact that creating and also reporting with custom field is so simple and it truly allows you to customize it to fit whatever your needs might be rather than only having a few standard fields that something else decided was best. We are big on sending out emailers and having integrated email capabilities has save me and my coworkers a ton of time and headaches from having to purchase another solution. Another benefit that you didnt realize you needed until you tried it is the interactions with your members are automatically recorded in the donor database.

Pros

I really like the reporting function. The reports are easy to create and even easier to download as an Excel spreadsheet. I also really like the dashboard function. This software is very easy to use and even easier to teach others how to us it. The customer service is great as well. They are very responsive and always ensure that you get an answer and not only that but make sure you understand how they arrived there. I also really like that this is an internet based platform because it makes it much easier to access the same information on any computer. I also found this great function that checks every address for each member that you have in your database to ensure that it is the most up to date. This platform is also super intuitive and easy to use. Bloomerang basically combined several applications into one easy to use platform. Bloomerang has amazing customer service that is second to none. As a small non-profit searching for a user friendly and powerful platform we had to look no farther than Bloomerang. We reviewed many platforms and did hours of research before finding Bloomerang.

Cons

I don't like that you cant sort the letters in alphabetical order when creating them. This is a BIG pain when printing off 100s of them because you have to sort them by hand after you print. For some of our big letter runs like annual appeal and membership reminders, we use a program to create our address labels. Sorting over 5,000 letters in alphabetical order is very time consuming. Other than that there isnt really much I dont like about Bloomerang. I have used countless different applications in my career and this one definiteyl ranks high on that list.

Melody from Lussier Community Education Center

In one word- easy.

Pros

My favorite feature of Blooomerang is their customer service. It's fast and so so helpful. This software is capable of a lot, but sometimes its hard to recognize of understand what you can make it do. Most things have obvious buttons or functions, but sometimes you can edit or twist those functions to best serve your organization, and it sometimes is not obvious how to do that. But if you contact customer support, they can solve any problem quickly, and if they can't, they go and figure it out and get back to you. It's amazing! I've never had such consistently positive interactions with tech support services, and I really appreciate that most about this software.

Cons

It's a very specific fault, but the fact that we can't add interactions or notes to a household so it shows up on all connected accounts. It has to be however many separate accounts that show up under one feed. An example of when this can be frustrating is when an entire household of four attends an event, and we want that to show up on their timeline, we have to go in and add that interaction to each individual account. It would save a lot of time if we could make one interaction in the household that shows up in each account- adding one interaction over creating four separate ones.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Too costly for how minimal their software was. There were a lot of things we couldn't do that we needed, and needed it to be so much easier than it was.

Russ from Portsmouth Music and Arts Center (PMAC)

Industry: Music

Game Changer

It was a game changer for our organization. It's probably the only software we use that the entire team (a 9 person staff) agrees on and enjoys using. The Bloomerang team did a wonderful job of onboarding our organization and we really felt like we could access the full power of the software from day one.

Pros

Bloomerang is easy to use and keeps our development efforts on track. I especially like the engagement level meter and the integration with Donor Search. Reports have never been easier and are wonderfully dynamic. The integration with our website is seamless, so donors who give online go right into the database and we're immediately notified of every gift. Donors have been surprised when I sometimes email them a personal thank you before they've even logged off of their computer - in addition to the automated thank you they receive right from Bloomerang. It's the one software I actually look forward to logging into each day.

Cons

Very few cons. We are a school and I wish it integrated with our registration software. Other than that, love it!

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We felt it was more user friendly and offered better tech support.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Needed to switch to more robust development software.

Carter from The Daily Caller News Foundation

Bloomerang for any nonprofit

Love it. This is the third nonprofit that I changed over to Bloomerang. Well worth the money.

Pros

The best part of the software is that it is so user friendly. I've used Razors Edge, Donor Perfect, Salesforce and a variety of other products - I now call those products my dinosaurs. They made updates on antiquated database software increasing the number of steps one had to take to get a report, add a new donor or create communications. Bloomerang is quick, user friendly and easy to use. I also really appreciate the great customer service. They respond quickly and are always very helpful.

Cons

Some of the templates in the email section look old. I wish they had a better graphics designer on board.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Less hassle, better at a glance review.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Bloomerang is more user friendly and provides infographics on home page for at-a -glance reporting

Daniel from New Haven Symphony Orchestra

Bloomerang helps grow your nonprofit each and every day

I am delighted with my use of the system and I'm glad we made the change from our prior CRM. Transparency for the administrative team, ease of use, and great integrations is bringing lots of benefits in terms of our records, protocols, and our ability to reach our donors.

Pros

Great flexibility allows easy customizations that helps you improve your CRM with usage and time. When combined with easy navigation and fast/accessible reports, Bloomerang is a system that is actually enjoyable to use. That's a big deal for your CRM! Remember - systems that are not used are systems that are not helpful.

Cons

The biggest frustration is that the constituent giving statistics via the "summary" views and "Timeline" views is set to the calendar year. For those of us who have a fiscal year different than the calendar year, this framing is not ideal. I've raised the point with the helpdesk and I am optimistic that the improvement will eventually be implemented. For the meantime, it requires patience and a mental "filter" to adjust accordingly.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We researched about a dozen systems before selecting Bloomerang. Initially, we were going to eliminate Bloomerang from consideration due to limitations to the user access (e.g. you're either a standard user with or without transaction edit/entry ability OR you are an administrative user). While there were other systems that allowed for more nuance between users (e.g. intern, volunteer, staff, administrator, board, etc) - Bloomerang had such strength in nearly all other aspects that we decided to proceed with our migration to Bloomerang. It has proved to be the right solution for us!

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

We completely lost faith in our prior CRM solution. We were a small customer to that company. It was clear that they were unable to see anything other than their own perspective and would rather be spending their time with much larger organizations. While the system had plenty of capabilities, it was not user friendly and was therefore underutilized by our admin team.

Michelle from The Sarah Michelle Peterson Foundation

Bloomerang has everything we need.

Bloomerang has changed how we keep track of almost everything and put it all into one place. We are very pleased with it, and we are still learning more good things.

Pros

Bloomerang has amazing customer service. As a small non-profit selecting our first DMS, we reviewed many and then took the plunge and signed up for Bloomerang. Our chats and emails asking for help always receive prompt responses from knowledgeable people. There is no substitute for that level of assistance. We also love the ability to customize our data and all of the other things that can be done with Bloomerang. We have left behind our old systems for keeping track of donations, volunteers, trainings, newsletters, and more!

Cons

We are getting better at creating reports that show what we want to track, but this is an area that feels a little convoluted, probably due to my lack of experience. I have received excellent help from Customer Service to get what I need, though. I have a feeling that the large number of steps it sometimes takes to create a report is necessary and can't be changed. I would also like a smoother way to keep track of people who sign up for a free class, and then to track who actually attends the class.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

It seemed more robust, and other reviews highlighted the excellent customer service, which the cheaper ones seemed not to have.

Sara from High Hopes Therapeutic Riding

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Bloomerang helps my organization with our fundraising program - which accounts for 60% of our annual revenue. It has been extremely valuable and we are very happy with it.

Pros

Bloomerang has been a great product from the beginning. It was easy to convert to (just a few minor hiccups) and it's been easy to learn to use. Over the four years my organization has had Bloomerang as our donor database, we have had multiple staff changes affecting users of this program. In all cases, new staff members were able to learn and utilize Bloomerang's many features. The Chat feature is particularly helpful as it can walk us through complicated donor reports and mail merges.

Cons

It would be helpful to have more integrated event software that incorporates all aspects of managing an event, including auction item procurement, bidding and acknowledgment. We asked Bloomerang to provide us with details on their event add-on and never received a response. At this time we use Give Smart to support our events.

Cost and ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

We needed something that was more flexible and easier to use.

Melissa from Coalition for the Homeless

Love Bloomerang

I selected Bloomerang and set it up as our database at two organizations and have used it daily for a total of 4.5 years. I have really enjoyed using it and it has suited our small fundraising shops well.

Pros

Some things I love about Bloomerang: its user-friendly design; great customer service; donation categorization structure; dashboard showing status of campaigns and donor retention rate; engagement meter and generosity meter; ability to easily make notes and save attachments to a donor record; ease of getting to donor records quickly; simple reporting functions; integration with online donation forms; and automatic inclusion of a recurring donation option on donation forms.

Cons

The biggest drawback I found with Bloomerang is the thank you letter feature. You can apply filters to create different thank you letters for different types of gifts, but the letters are exported as a PDF, which makes it difficult to fine-tune any of the verbiage. So if I need to edit a particular letter I have to go back to the donor record, edit it, and download the new letter.

Price and functionality

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Improved functionality, user-friendly design.

Autumn from Trinity Free Clinic

Recommending bloomerang for Nonprofit Donor Management

We particularly like that we can easily manage all transactions and interactions seamlessly through integration with Outlook and sending emails, letters, etc. directly out of the system.

Pros

In the time that we have used bloomerang, we have appreciated a number of things about the software. The interface is extremely user friendly, we see regular product updates, there has been excellent customer service and communication, and the customer support through the chat interface is absolutely fantastic. Data has been easy to manage, reports are easy and reliable, and the ability to send beautiful emails, integrate with our website, and manage campaigns through the system is a real game changer for our organization. They worked hard with us to implement integration and onboarding in a reasonable time frame as well.

Cons

Occasionally, I will run into a more advanced feature that I'd like the system to do, but it's a rare occurrence. The one thing that I really wish bloomerang had was a more robust event ticketing function. The current interface doesn't do everything we would want to do, such as discount codes, and there are generally too many limitations to be able to use bloomerang for event ticketing.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] initially chose to go with eTapestry but it was an absolute nightmare. They failed to get our data conversion done in a reasonable amount of time and their customer service was absolutely deplorable. After six MONTHS, they still did not have our data uploaded and ready for use. Bloomerang was able to take the files we had prepared for the eTapestry conversion and had our system up and working in about six WEEKS. The only good thing about our eTapestry experience is that they did EVENTUALLY send us a check refunding our deposit and monthly fee, especially since we started incurring monthly fees before our system was even live.None of the other products had the same blend of functionality that we needed, nor did they have as agile of an interface as bloomerang.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Insightly is really a very simple point of sale interface that doesn't have even a tenth of the functionality that bloomerang does. Switching to bloomerang allowed us to consolidate a number of processes that had before been managed through Insightly, a number of Excel spreadsheets, MailChimp, and more.

Amanda from Paleontological Research Institution (PRI)

The reporting is Amazing

I've had a great experience and I am really enjoying this CRM more and more as it integrates with so many third party apps.

Pros

The reporting feature is by far one of the best parts of this software. I can segment donors, analyze year over year data, and run fundraising to date reports with such ease. There is no need to export data and run analytics in excel when this software does it all for you. I am also a big fan of the bcc feature that allows me to append emails to donors directly to their constituent files.

Cons

As an arts and culture nonprofit, we have a membership component to our fundraising structure. I feel that bloomerang's ability to really provide for a membership program is weak. We've made it work with some custom fields but it's not ideal.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Reporting, Price, and functionality.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

We had an outdated desktop version and wanted a cloud based software that could bring our fundraising into the modern era.

Cyrilla from Foundation Monroe County Community Schools

Very Happy

My experience with Bloomerang has been very positive.

Pros

I feel Bloomerang is a good donor management software and works very great the the size of our organization. It is easy to navigate and the customer support is timely and helpful. They are continuously improving the software.

Cons

My biggest negative is not really the software but my ability to keep up with the changes/improvements. For example we have the system for several years and built a lot of our emails using templates that were donor concentric at that time. When you need an email you just copy them and adjust the content for the new email. What I found during the pandemic is the current new templates give a fresh look. I had time to rebuild some of this communication.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

I watched a demo of Bloomerang at an INAPEF conference. I liked it and other members had made the switch. They were happy so we went with.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

eTapestry wasn't intuitive and they weren't doing updates to the system. I wanted something that was easier to teach so that my staff could learn the software and I wasn't the only person who knew how to utilize the system.

Scott from Plant With Purpose

Great Donor Tracking Software

Pros

This software is very intuitive and easy to use. We switched from a more complicated product that staff wouldn't use consistently. Although it had more bells and whistles it was less useful because many staff members found it too difficult to enter and retrieve data.

Cons

There are some missing features that I would appreciate: - a way of giving an easily visible summary of the most important things about a donor - a virtual yellow sticky note to alert other users to important changes or updates - a way of filtering out the Mass Emails from the more important interactions - an easier way of getting to the earliest entries

Angie from Ark Crisis Children's Center

Love it!!!

I switched to Bloomerang after being with another database system for a little more than a year. I have never looked back and have recommended Bloomerang to so many other nonprofits in my area. I have never had a problem that couldn't be figured out or worked around.

Pros

The clean look, ease of use and ever-updating features are wonderful. The additional trainings on many topics related to non-profits are a bonus. I love that I never have to encounter the word "query" when running reports! I also appreciate that many features are automatically included so I don't feel "nickel and dimed" every time I need to integrate new features.

Cons

I wish there was an easy "shopping cart" feature that would integrate with my website so I could easily sell tickets to events without having to manually each purchase.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

I was constantly being charged for "extras" like sending emails. Customer service was a nightmare and every time I dealt with a service person, they were no longer with the company the next time I needed assistance. Nothing about eTapestry was intuitive and it would take me an entire day to run reports, filter mailing lists and write thank-yous.

Kerrie from Lead Virginia

Bloomerang for non profits

Having bloomerang has allowed us to be able to have all of our data in one place instead of having multiple spreadsheets in various places. It helps when finding information for potential donation requests and providing back up. I like that all employees can access information for all of our constituents in one place so we can tell who talked to who and when. It has helped to streamline many of our functions.

Pros

The ease of use of the software, getting to the necessary information is very easy. I also like the on-demand tutorials, this allows the user to reference something they don't know how to do and watch a live example. I also like the support chat feature, you never have to wait very long and they always assist with finding the best option.

Cons

The only feature that I struggle with is that you cannot use the event registration feature if there is no payment. I know they can fill out a form that we can add to our website, but there should be a way to allow the use of a registration form without payment.

Cost and ease of use

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

It was not user-friendly and did not have all of the components that we wanted.

Carolyn from Raleigh Charter High School

Bloomerang Review

Exceptional. The best ever experience I have had with a database product vendor.

Pros

1. Ease of use: Bloomerang has been easy to learn even for staff members with limited data base experience. Data pages are large and easy to read.Information on the home page is helpful. It is easy to manage and change settings. 2. Customer support: If having difficulty with any aspect of Bloomerang, customer support is only minutes away. I have never had to wait for a response to a requst for a chat. Futhermore, every customer support person provided easy to understand answers, was always friendly and never made me feel unimportant. 3. Always making improvements. The Bloomerang team provides an easy way to make suggestions for future improvements and they are always adding improvements. Plus they communicate well about the improvements. 4. Cost. At the time of our purchase, Bloomerang was a mid-priced option. I do not know how the price compares to other options now but if it is still a mid-range or higher option, it is worth every penny. 5. Reporting is very flexible. 6. The ability to link people in the database and combine them into households. This is very important for a school environment.

Cons

I really do not have any dislikes of Bloomerang. The reason is because if I ever have difficulties, I contact them and receive immediate assistance.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang's reviews, the flexibility of reporting, ease use and ease of reporting, customer support, and the linking feature. It was better suited to a school development office.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

The old system was not cloud based, was not user friendly, and had poor customer support.

James from Desire Street Ministries

Fantastic simple donor mgt solution for small nonprofits

We have loved Bloomerang since our conversion 18 months ago. The fact that they continue to add features and request input from customers is great. Highly recommend the solution for other small organizations.

Pros

The ease of use and cloud-based platform make this solution the perfect donor management system for our small nonprofit ministry. We love the key features and the team is terrific.

Cons

Since it is a "newer" solution, it isn't as feature-rich as some long-time industry players, but that also means it isn't overly complex, which is a plus for us.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We evaluated NXT also, but it is a hybrid solution, with some features in the cloud and others still reliant on the antiquated platform.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Raisers Edge was too clunky and difficult to use on our old legacy server environment. While very robust, it was a space shuttle when all we need is a reliable car.

Lindsey from Simmons College of Kentucky

Best Bang for Your Buck

Bloomerang handles not only our team's contact management but is also the financial hub for all of our donations. It is now a tool essential for our department's analytics and fundraising team. We can't live without it!

Pros

I like that this software is extremely user-friendly. There is a multitude of tutorials, articles, and narratives of explanation of functions of this product. You will never question how to use this product!

Cons

I do wish this product had more add-on features such as texting, social media tracking, and a mobile app.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

After trying out several other products, the team and I decided on Bloomerang because it was the most user-friendly and was the most comprehensive for the small price.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

We made the switch from iDonate to Bloomerang initially to save money, but also because Bloomerang has many more features than iDonate.

Erika from We Care INC

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great Product for a Small Business

We have had great success with Bloomerang. It has allowed us to become more independent in our finances and really get the information that we need, when we need it. This is invaluable to us, as we have a lot of volunteers that do things for us. We love our volunteers, but still have a business to run and when we have a need, we need to get it figured out quickly.

Pros

The software is easy to use, even for entry-level staff with little computer background. I have a few staff that use it to record donations, and it is very easy to show them how it works and what to do. It is also internet-based, so that we can access it from anywhere. It does everything that we need it to, though we are still learning some of the more challenging things like labels, year-end letters, e-mails, etc. The program keeps great records and we can print reports based on whether the information is a transaction or a person. We can also pull information from specific events, campaigns, etc to let us know how much we actually raised from that time period. That helps us budget for the next fiscal year and set goals for future campaigns. That is very helpful.

Cons

The software can get very complicated when you start getting into filters. I have yet to figure out how to to get the date the funds were given to us on their thank you letter, instead of the date that I am putting the funds in. Labels are very difficult and at times the reports don't include all the information that we are looking for, and I have to run multiple reports that we add together. I would also like to have a client database attached to it, so that we can run all our programs from one program.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Most user-friendly and does what we need it to at a base level.

Ailithir from Nickel Plate Arts

The best option for small nonprofits

The fact that we can manage our contact database, membership database, donations, and email marketing all in one place has been transformative for our organization. We were previously using Constant Contact, generic spreadsheets, and Razor's Edge separately to do these functions and we wasted a significant amount of time trying to force these tools to do what we needed and to play nicely together. Customer service and tech support have always been available for even the silliest question, and we've been able to get volunteers from teens to senior citizens confidently entering data for us in a very short amount of time. The set-up period was well-organized: looking back, I wish we had done a few things differently, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Pros

This software is easy to navigate and intuit. It is built with small businesses & nonprofits in mind, which is obvious in it's design. It is great to be able to track so much data about our constituents in one place, as well as to link that data with transactions, contact information, and even email communication. It's not perfect, but it's improving all the time and is so much better than the other many options we tried!

Cons

The email builder (event after the most recent update) is pretty primitive and does not provide all of design the flexibility we'd like - we're an arts organization and our visual branding is really important to us. We wish that there were ways to import formatted blocks from one template into another, to change the background color of a single block, or to manipulate the code more easily. I also wish that we had the options to separate types of transactions (we receive payments for art sales as well as donations) more easily so that constituents' purchases could be separated from their charitable giving.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

We liked the fact that it was a local company and that providing technical support was such a high priority.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Razor's Edge was incredibly hard to use. It required an unrealistic amount of front-end set up and then would only be really accessible to one person at a time. I know that it had much more functionality as a database, but I literally dreaded logging into it.

Sara from Non-profit Organization

Bloomerang is AMAZING!

Our previous data was kept in an Access Data Base (It was HORRIBLE) Since switching to Bloomerang I've had no issues tracking donors, reaching out to first time donors and our repeat donors by having reports to run at my fingertips. It's simple to enter new information into and so incredibly user friendly for someone who didn't know much about data bases. Right from the beginning when I was researching software programs I found the sales people to be super friendly, non-pushy and incredibly helpful in building my presentation to the board. Hands down it was easiest software to navigate and can do so much more than I've even used it for.

Pros

User-friendly; Easy to learn; Awesome customer assistance when it's been needed; prompt responses; dedicated employees (my original sales rep (Gabriel) STILL emails me a couple times in a year to see how things are going and if there's anything I need... :) ) Very easy to get almost any type of a report I need-quickly and effortlessly. I would recommend it to any agency looking to purchase donor software (and have). Sales rep was NEVER pushy but extremely helpful in assisting me with "selling" this product to my Board of Directors. Love all the webinars and teaching tools in the library that I can use if I want.

Cons

I just don't have the time in my every day job to use this software to it's full potential. (That's on me, not the product though...) I wish it did grant tracking too.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Simple easy to use; overall general presentation of the product was impressive; felt like "family" or a team when working with people from Bloomerang.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Imperative to growing our development department. Needed a better way to run mailing lists and reports for follow-up and to give stats to the board. Overall tracking of donors and our constituents has improved tremendously by making those follow-up calls and being able to have contact information in one place that's easy to update and add to.

Linda from C.A.R.E.

Bloomerang Shines In My Toolkit

The transition was very smooth and I was immediately able to use the features to do my work. Training guides were easy to understand; there was very little ramp-up time required. I was updating and adding constituent records in no time. Creating and printing acknowledgement letters, and sharing reports with my team was accomplished in short time with professional and informative results. I am a one-person shop and Bloomerang allows me to manage my time well and to deliver results.

Pros

Ease of adding and updating constituent records - very little time required to master these skills. Report writing simplified Email templates easy to use Retention report updates daily and I see it as soon as I sign on Flexibility for me to use anywhere

Cons

As a new user, edit options were not available for acknowledgment letters with out re-running letters. I am having a hard time identifying what I did not like as I really enjoy using Bloomerang. Input was given to tech support and software changes were made based on user expectations.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

The Bloomerang reps at an AFP conference were informative and helpful. The pricing was manageable for a smaller non-profit. The conversion process was not overly complicated and the technical support was easily available and understood. I have been using Bloomerang for 5 years and have never regretted this decision!

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

It was an ancient Access system that was totally NOT user-friendly. Donor history was not easy to access and custom report writing was a disaster. I needed a system I could use anywhere that allowed easy access to donor details, and the ability to answer questions by running custom reports on demand.

Lindsey from Simmons College of Kentucky

Best Product for the Price

Perfect. Bloomerang is exactly what my team was looking for and continues to grow and improve daily.

Pros

This software is extremely user-friendly. Everything is explained in pop-ups, videos, articles, and by the support team. The system could be picked up and used by anyone on our team.

Cons

I wish there were add ons like social media listening or text to give. I also wish there was an app. But these features would cost more, and the low cost is one of the best things about this product!

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

The cost was a major factor, but Bloomerang was also the perfect mix of user-friendliness while still being customizable.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

iDonate was hard to use and did not have the functionalities that Bloomerang does

Jacquelyn from Pro Bono Net, Inc.

Great for Small Teams!

Overall it's been mostly a positive experience. It is definitely an improvement over our old system (DonorPerfect) and I really enjoy using it.

Pros

The reporting abilities and interface is very easy to use even for beginners, very intuitive overall. The customer chat is also really helpful in figuring out the reporting so that makes it even easier. The only issue would be organizing existing reports as they really don't have a good way of doing that yet, but they are trying to improve it. The system itself is also easy to navigate and they are constantly trying to make it better. I also like that the email features are built in which makes it easier to report on results. I also like a lot of the free webinars.

Cons

While I like the system overall, it needs a bit more work on core functionality before they carried away on new features. Sometimes they make features that are very one-size-fits-all which often leaves us out. We know what's best for our org, so sometimes we have to opt out of something if they don't let us customize it enough to work for our donors.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

The ease of the reporting system

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

DonorPerfect's reporting system is cumbersome, confusing, and antiquated. The user experience also felt very antiquated. As we were leaving they were trying to update their system, but it was mostly cosmetic so it didn't actually feel like much of a change.

Stephanie from UCHS Foundation

Best Database for no-profit cultivation

Top notch from software, to pricing, to customer service. I've never seen a company so in tune to what their user wants and needs.

Pros

EVERYTHING!! I cannot say enough good about this product. The customer service is out of this world and I can ask a question via chat and have an answer immediately. THey are constantly gathering ideas for upgrades from users and rolling them out. It's extremely easy to use, compared to our old Raiser's Edge Software. The price is less than any other product we researched and they are always following up to ensure our happiness. The software caters to prospect cultivation and offers tons of preloaded reports or that. The ease of creating a report will leave you speechless.

Cons

I miss my batch feature, but they are working on creating that and should release it in the future. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues. I'm constantly referring and recommending this product and they reward you with each referral.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

It was close with NeonCRM, but we wanted the cultivation aspect. DonorPerfect didn't even compare

Raiser's Edge wanted to charge is $30,000 for a product almost exactly the same

Kristina from KIPP Nashville

Great platform

We are a small shop and need to be able to minimize the time we spend managing the data side of the house so that we can be out meeting with our donors and focusing on donor acquisition. I feel like Bloomerang allows us to manage our data in a user friendly, functional way so that we can focus our time on raising money. My background is major gifts and I have limited technical skills with database management, but Bloomerang is so user friendly that I am able to pull reports, produce lists, upload data, process gifts and acknowledge gifts with ease so that I can focus on utilizing the MOVES management aspects of the database to move our donors through our donor pipeline.

Pros

I'm a development professional and my background is high level database work. In my new role I'm having to delve deeper into database management and I'm so happy we have Bloomerang. For the most part I can navigate and produce what I need on my own. However, when I get stuck the customer service of Bloomerang is beyond measure. They are always so friendly and kind, they listen to what I'm trying to do and understand my needs. They help walk me through how to do what I am trying to do, so I learn how to do it on my own moving forward. I honestly can't say enough about their customer support. They also have great (and very relevant) webinars.

Cons

The thing I struggle with the most is the usability of the letters and email functions. Formatting is tricky and there seems to be limitations to being able to move images around etc. It always ends up taking me longer to produce a letter or email than I anticipate because I have to play around with the formatting so much. This is the one part of the software that doesn't feel as user friendly.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied November 2019

Hi Kristina! I'm so happy you're happy with our Support team; they are the best! Check out this upgrade we made to our email editor - it now has drag-and-drop functionality: https://bloomerang.co/blog/feature-spotlight-an-upgrade-to-bloomerangs-built-in-email-marketing/

Jeff from Tunefoolery Music, Inc.

Industry: Music

Fantastic software for the nonprofit fundraiser!

Pros

The software is *very* easy to use. The pages load quickly. The search function is very efficient. The product is thoroughly and thoughtfully designed with the nonprofit fundraiser in mind to make most every situation easy to navigate (from, the basics to such things as tributes, or soft credits). Customizing it is very easy and intuitive. In addition to a computer, it may be used on a tablet (e.g. iPad), and a phone (e.g. iPhone) in most scenarios, although on a phone things can be a little awkward, but still usable. Importing a database of 800 accounts was seamless, after taking the time to prepare the import files properly (using the instructions provided on the web site). Coaching for this was available using email or live chat, although the instructions on the web site are so thorough, concise, and clear, that I did not need that. There is a vast library of instructional materials for assisting with most functions (articles and videos), and their customer service department is very easy to access and get clear instruction on things that need more in depth assistance. Regular instructional webinars are offered, which are very informative, and become videos within their vast instructional video library for any user's use.

Cons

I use the product at odd times, and live customer support is not available late at night, or on weekends or holidays.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Salesforce was too clunky and hard to use. It was actually too daunting for some of our users and hindered our work. Seemingly simple functions were absent and needed to be outsourced to other software programs. It did not seem to set up specifically for the nonprofit fundraiser's needs.

Bryan from RepresentUs

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Fantastic support, easy to set up, easy to teach

Pros

Bloomerang is a breeze to navigate and search, with a detailed (but not overwhelming) summary view of each constituent, organization, and household in the database. When someone asks, "Who is this person?" I can tell them their top-line donation history, how we met, their capacity to give more, and who they're connected to, in less than a minute and with no effort at all. I can't overstate how intuitive and easy it is to get around, which is always helpful when training new users. After you build a few letter templates, gift processing and drafting acknowledgement letters become a joy. Integrations with Twitter, DonorSearch, and TrueGivers help us know more about our prospects and donors, and keep our address records up to date, automatically. But what I truly like most about Bloomerang is their support. They offer weekly training webinars not only about how to use the platform better, but also about topics in the larger nonprofit field. They offer a whole vault of resources for nonprofit organizations at any stage of growth. Every interaction I've had with their support staff -- by email, phone, live chat -- has been as thorough and helpful as I need it to be. Their "Features Portal" is always seeking feedback on what they could improve, and they're incredibly transparent about what they're working on next and when we might expect an update. In the year since we migrated to Bloomerang, it's been more than clear that they take this feedback loop seriously and listen well.

Cons

Bloomerang is easy to use -- at the cost of being fully customizable. I am not a programmer, so this exchange works out mostly great for me and my team, but I can imagine a programmer growing frustrated by the constraints in place to keep the platform easy to use. Take one example: you can add multiple addresses (email or physical) for each constituent, but there is no "note" field for each address. What if three email addresses go to the constituent's various assistants, and only one goes straight to the constituent? What if you mark an address "bad," but now need a place to say why? We've had to add custom fields (super easy to do, by the way) for "Additional Contact Information" so we can track these details, but those custom fields get buried at the bottom of a constituent's profile -- after the default profile information -- and there's no way to reorder the profile so that custom content appears more intuitively for how our organization uses the database. We've had to build in a few clumsy workarounds like this to solve problems that have a more straightforward solution, but those straightforward solutions then become suggestions in the features portal, to be solved if and when Bloomerang decides to. The reporting is a powerful tool, but the filter logic is unusual and has a few pitfalls ("raised" versus "revenue," for example) and a few hidden powers to know about ("has" and nested filters). Definitely take the time to dive deep into reporting resources.

Diane from Desire Street Ministries

Would recommend Bloomerang to ANYONE

We are in the midst of transitioning some of our processes so that we can really thrive, but I've been surprised that -- thanks to Bloomerang -- we have been able to survive with two less fundraising staff. (You might not want to tell your boss that part!) If you are working in the typical non-profit where you wear so many hats you can't count them all, I strongly recommend that you look into Bloomerang to help you be efficient and effective...and actually enjoy working with your fundraising system.

Pros

We're coming up on a year of using Bloomerang, and if it's possible, I love Bloomerang more every day. First, it's easy to use, and there are so many awesome "live" links and features--they've really designed the software to make fundraising work easier! It was designed by fundraising experts so "thinks" like a Development Director, and it helps our small staff spend our very limited time well. Second, reporting and query are a million times easier and more straightforward than with our previous software. We actually trust the results now! And my last "most favorite" thing about Bloomerang is the dashboard. I didn't think I would use it so much, but the fact that it has so many "live" links has made us watch our progress week-to-week, month-to-month and now, for the whole year. Wait! I have to include the AWESOME people (sales, conversion, support, developers, even) who have been there every step of the way. They're super knowledgeable, great communicators, and always friendly and helpful.

Cons

To get the quality that I want when I change out our receipt text monthly, I have to work in the html code behind the letter merge function. That takes a little longer and is more tedious than I'd like, but even there, the system makes it much more simple than receipting in our previous software. I should also add that I wish I knew Bloomerang as well as I do now when we started conversion to it. We would have made better choices, but again, I can see how our conversion manager really worked behind the scenes to save us a lot of headaches!

Bloomerang Review

I work with several clients that use Bloomerang for their database. This software is very easy to use and very user friendly. They are very responsive when you have questions or are having issues using their software. I would highly recommend this database software to any organization. I have worked with two other database soft wares and Boomerang has been the best so far.

Pros

I switched to Bloomerang about two years ago and this has been a great change. Their customer service and help center is very easy to navigate and a representative responds to your questions within seconds. From step by step instructions on how to pull reports, trouble shooting problems, helping with deleting and importing new constituents, any issues or questions you have they have answer for you within minutes. I love their feature of online webinars that introduce you to their new features and updates. These webinars are extremely helpful and give me the knowledge and information I need to train new employees on this software. Another pro is that they are open to suggestions and improvements. I have sent in a few changes that would make pulling reports easier and updates that will help decrease entering duplicate constituents and they have taken this feedback and acted on it. Several of their new features address the recommendations I have sent them.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it does not auto populate the city and state when you put in the zip code for a constituents account. This is a feature that I was use to using with other software. This was a helpful feature to have that made data entry easier. I am also not in love with their acknowledgment generator because you can not edit individual letters once they are merged into the Bloomerang template. This is a feature I would like to see, because many of the clients I work with like to add a personal touch to each acknowledgment. We are not able to use Bloomerang for this process because to edit each individual letter we would have to generate acknowledgments one by one, not in bulk, which is very inconvenient and time consuming.

Annah Grace from Shepherd's Cove Hospice

Bloomerang is an inutitive and user-friendly game changer!

My organization was looking to make the switch from Excel spreadsheets to a true donor database. After I was immediately impressed with Bloomerang’s focus on donor retention and all the ways it could help my organization. Bloomerang has been a game changer for my team by providing key metrics in donor engagement, donor capacity and donor retention. It has helped keep us organized and get our fundraising on track. Bloomerang has been a game-changer for us. Not only do we use it for donors, we use it for all givers (which include our volunteers and other community resources). We have found a time-saver in this product! I love that it functions as a CRM tool in addition to the fundraising components. I love that you can customize it to make it work for you, no matter your industry or the complexity of your organization, and still it’s so user-friendly and intuitive! Not to mention, the incredible commitment to education! The free webinars and information are extremely on point and helpful. We are happy to highly recommend Bloomerang any time!

Pros

I love the donor-centered nature of Bloomerang and how it focuses on donor engagement. It is customizable, easy-to-use and super intuitive. I am able to easily egment communication to donors and reach them with specific messaging they need to hear. I also love that Bloomerang is constantly improving and has great support. I sincerely appreciate Bloomerang’s knowledgeable support staff and their willingness to take customer feedback seriously. The product team continually makes updates and improvements to Bloomerang based on our suggestions.

Cons

It doesn't yet interface with a mass texting or text-to-give software, but I have no doubt that it probably will soon. It is ALWAYS improving!

Nic from Northerly

For organizations small and large, Bloomerang is good fit.

Our organization moved from Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang just over a year ago. If you are familiar with Raiser's Edge, you likely understand that this is a massive transition to undertake both technologically and fundamentally--but I'm glad we did. We moved away from Raiser's Edge because we needed software that was powerful yet highly intuitive and didn't ship with a price tag that is difficult to justify. A year later, all of my team members are comfortable using the CRM and do so wherever they need to because it relies only on a web browser and internet connect -- no proprietary software or hardware required; no desk to which you're chained. There is a lot of power in Bloomerang at a price point that I guarantee will fit any budget, and the Bloomreang team does a great job of creating a product experience that actually has you celebrating the renewal date because you can cut the check knowing you made an excellent choice. From our first call with the sale's rep and through 12+ months of communication, I have enjoyed our experience with Bloomerang and look forward to many years as a client.

Pros

Greater than the Bloomerang CRM itself is the company's incredible support team that is not only quick to respond and meaningfully engage, but does so humanely. Too many vendors staff their support teams with specialists who are technically proficient, but lack the ability to translate their knowledge into kind and understanding support. Without this type of support, clients like me would be left frustrated, defeated and with unresolved issues. Boomerang recognizes that their software AND support team needs to be human, and they do a great job putting this understanding into practice. This understanding is well-implemented in the software itself which requires minimal training to comfortably navigate and use. I am able to train-in team members on Bloomerang's basic functions within 60 minutes, and thanks to the software's intuitive interface, team members aren't intimidated by what they see on-screen, allowing them to explore Bloomerang's functionality on their own. This ease-of-use rings true for me as an administrator, too. Because I can swiftly navigate through the CRM's features, I am more efficient with my time and able to focus on completing projects and tasks without needing to consult a encyclopedia-length user manual. Overall, I have found that Bloomerang's great product and excellent support has elevated our team's ability to do our jobs well. We're not bogged down in the software anymore. We're focused on fundraising.

Cons

There are a lot of strategic opportunities for the Bloomerang team to take advantage of as they continue to grow as a company, and an area where I'd like to see growth is with third-party integrations. There is currently a MailChimp integration in the pipeline, but I'd also love to see the door open to platform access through API integration services such as Zapier, which would allow customers like me to easily and securely connect Bloomerang to other key software in use within our department and organization.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied April 2020

Nic, you rock! Good news: we now have a Zapier and Mailchimp integration! https://bloomerang.co/features/integrations/

Lisa from SECU Family House of Winston-Salem

Great CRM

Bloomerang is ideal for agencies that are looking for a straightforward interface with the ability to customize fields and reports to your needs. Their social media integration, relationship tracking, and interaction fields takes our ability to get to know donors to another level. The import function, once you get the hang of it, is an incredible time saver. The ability to embed online donations via a custom Bloomerang form into our website has increased our online donations significantly. The program is continually improving and the customer service is excellent.

Pros

-User-friendly interface -Pretty easy for beginners to pick up -I love how you can make relationships between people (very nice to pull up a church and find out what volunteers and donors attend that church or go to that book club) and put people into households -The giving summary on the donor profile and dashboard is a nice visual. -I like the ability to create tasks (but it would be nice if they sent you email reminders for deadlines that are coming up) -The ability to create interactions field is very helpful to keep track of your communications, meetings, and other cultivation items that don’t necessarily include a donation. -Custom forms, including custom donation forms make it so easy to tailor fundraising campaigns. -Very customizable reports and fields (we now use Bloomerang instead of paying for Volgistics to track volunteer hours) -Using Bloomerang stripe with our online donation page is fantastic—Our online donations went WAY up from Paypal. -Great responsive technical support---we use just the online chats and emails and haven’t found a need for phone support. -Love that this database is always improving. Our last one did not have that capability, so I think Bloomerang has a lot of potential. -Also love that it’s cloud based---our last database was not. -You can link your Twitter feed to Bloom and it will automatically populate tweets that your constituents have tweeted, and it gets added to their engagement level. -I’m using the import function for more and more things…donation entry, mailing interactions, attendance sheets, volunteer hour tracking. Once you get the hang of it, it can save a lot of time if done correctly.

Cons

-Report formatting: All reports export to excel, but it only exports the table and information. It would be nice if it at least included a title (so you remember what you’re looking at), and maybe a time and date it was run. -Reporting: The new reporting function is very powerful and you can pull great information from it. I do have trouble with how Bloomerang collapses each query. With more complex reports it's hard for me to remember each part of my query when everything is collapsed into a small -Multiple tributes/notificants (for holidays): You can only put in one tribute per donation right now. -They need a much better way to input tributes and they also need a way to track and send acknowledgements to people: The honor/memorial function is currently the worst part of Bloomerang…it has a terrible, backwards work flow and a major oversight for nonprofits that process a lot of tribute gifts. Although you can add a “notificant” to a donation, there’s no way to actually send letters to notificants through the letter function. We’ve created a process to notify honorees and notificants manually that works great, but that’s something to keep in mind for folks that process a lot of honor/memorial gifts. -Special note if you go through the conversion process: When you add a new constituent, there’s a field that Bloomerang populates a date called “Created”. However, when your data is transferred, your original Created dates (if it was tracked in your previous system) will be lost and they’ll all be put into Bloomerang as the date the data was transferred. Bloomerang needs to keep the integrity of the original "Created" date of constituents OR create a custom field to place that information so you can run future reports. [There is no way to use the import feature for us to go back and add this information in, so volunteers are adding it for us]. -Task list: I’d like the task list to show more details to help you know what the task is, and send email reminders. Right now you make a task and then forget about it. -Letters need to export to word instead of a PDF. We have a pdf editing software here to get around that, but would like to keep our Family House fonts and make minor changes if needed, etc. -Need a way to catch duplicate records (either with a report, or alert if you're entering an address that's already in the system)

Response from Bloomerang

Replied July 2019

Hey Lisa, good news: you now have the ability to edit individual letters and manage duplicates! https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/ https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-real-time-duplicate-constituent-management/

Melinda from Eastmont Towers Foundation

Got out of hostage situation

I came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch. Bloomerang is an excellent tool and I can't see any areas for improvement. One feature several users including myself have requested is currently in development. So Bloomerang listens to their users to offer solutions and keep the platform moving forward. They are patching the holes in the roof and doing the maintenance needed- not making you buy a whole new house to get upgrades.

Pros

I came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars, and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch.

Samantha from Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative

Bloomerang to the rescue!

We are a small shop non-profit and because of Bloomerang's affordability, we have been able to transform our fundraising strategies in ways that we could have never imagined. With only three individuals working on the administrative side (Development Associate, Administrative Director, and President & CEO) and needing to raise just over a million dollars each year, we are dependent on the services that Bloomerang provides us. The customer service team is unbelievably amazing and each and every question is always answered in a timely manner. Each rep takes the time to explain WHY and HOW certain steps are important so that you actually can grow and learn. We just generated our year-end appeal mailing list and on our old reporting program, it took running several reports and then using formulas in excel to remove duplicate records. Countless staff hours used to go into this endeavor but because of Bloomerang and the Bloomerang team, we have our most carefully curated and hand-selected year-end mailing list that we have ever had (at a fraction of staff time nonetheless!) Our team chatted with the Bloomerang staff for 5-6 hours and they answered EVERY SINGLE question. We went from spending 30-40 hours creating this list to no more than 10. For this, we are incredibly grateful. The reporting features have enabled us to better direct our fundraising endeavors and we can send targeted mailings with tailored asks based off of future giving capacity. Our acknowledgement letters have an incredibly fast turnaround time and this simply was not feasible when we were still using our previous database. The ability to add interactions and notes to our donor profiles have helped us form a better understanding of our constituents and have provided us with the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with our donors. We also love that our online donation forms can sync with Bloomerang so that we are able to quickly detect whose given to us. The layout and setup of the system is so simple that we can easily have volunteers or interns hop onto the system to help us clean up our database or add constituents. Going back to our earlier point that we only have three people working on the administrative side, it is so important to us that our system is easy enough for other individuals to be able to work on. Bloomerang came to our rescue and I firmly believe it is one of the reasons that this has been our best year to date!

Pros

Ease of use, reporting features, capacity to add custom fields to constituent records, affordability, ease of generating acknowledgement letters, simple and easy--to-use email templates, online donation forms syncing with database

Cons

None (no really!)

Response from Bloomerang

Replied July 2019

Can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to hear this, Samantha. Your experience is what we hope for and strive to provide to every single Bloomerang user!

Dorothy from shalom community center

Bloomerang for Small Shops

In a word, great. We really appreciate their graduated approach for pricing. They have a set rate for certain number of records and don't raise the price until the organization increases its donor numbers, thus same price until organization is better able to pay for increased services. They seem to be open to customer feedback about additional features that would improve the product as they do make upgrades.

Pros

Moving from FileMaker Pro to Bloomerang.

Cons

We just figured out that their server can't handle a HUGE increase in users as what we experienced with Giving Tuesday related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang offered more features for not more money. We liked the graduated pricing approach. We really appreciate the personal communication with Bloomerang staff. Bloomerang has great customer support and wonderful training options!

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

FileMaker Pro was extraordinarily clunky. Bloomerang has many reporting features that make it easy to manipulated donor information. It has some of the features of a big, expensive CRM but without the big, expensive costs.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied May 2020

Thanks, Dorothy! We love product/feature feedback, so keep it coming! Since Giving Tuesday, we've beefed up our servers. Would you believe we had 10x the usage as we did the last GT? We're covered for that now, and more!

RJ from Daystar U.S.

Easy, Simple Donor Management System with Great Features

We ended up choosing a different system because it had more features and we liked the feel of using it better. However, I spent considerable time demoing and trialing Bloomerang and had regular, relevant communication with my sales person. He was amazing! By his actions and intentionality alone I could tell that if we went with Bloomerang, we would have had outstanding customer service. This company contributes a great deal to the non-profit and fund-raising industry in all its offerings (blog, etc.) and in how it partners with industry experts. Bloomerang wasn't exactly right for us, but I know that if we would have encountered this software a little earlier in our organization's history, we would have gone with it and loved it no doubt.

Pros

The Bloomerang system makes it very easy to segment supporters: - It has unlimited custom field opportunities, which you can easily configure to look nice on a supporter's record without looking cluttered - It has an excellent "Engagement Meter" that rates by affinity and interactions with your org - All of those options are easily reportable, and reports are intuitive to run It also helps organizations keep donor retention as one of the highest priorities through its Donor Retention meter on the main home page. Supporter records are easy to view and have a great timeline showing gifts, interactions, and some automatic highlights (like second gift, lapsed, etc.).

Cons

Its user interface feels a little outdated compared to some other CRMs out there. It did not have a reminders feature to remind fundraisers of tasks (though it did have a list of current and past due tasks). The email and letter tools felt limited in the formatting options. It is very simple to use, and when coming from a very robust system, it felt somewhat limiting.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

The company offered and online version of its desktop database and started migrating customers there without having full functionality ready. Consequently, we have to use BOTH the online system and the desktop/backend/database system simultaneously. The prices are cost-prohibitive, and it feels like the company is more concerned with growth, profit, and buying out add-on companies to expand its offerings than its small non-profit clients.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied November 2019

Hi RJ! Thanks so much for your kind words. Hopefully our paths will cross again someday! You might be enticed by some upgrades we've made to our email system: https://bloomerang.co/blog/feature-spotlight-an-upgrade-to-bloomerangs-built-in-email-marketing/

Trey from Community Link

Great product for a growing organization

Bloomerang assists me to be a better fundraiser. Daily I am looking at who has donated and Bloomerang helps me customize the way in which i communicate with various constituents.

Pros

Bloomerang is easy to use. In a small organization, where one or two people are using Bloomerang, it's the perfect fit. Customer service and new integrations are also superb. It's a software that can grow with you organization.

Cons

At times, filtering can be an issue. Often time I have to freshen up my memory of how to drill down to get the information I am trying to assimilate.

Reasons for Choosing Bloomerang

Pricing. The software had the right features for our size organization.

Reasons for Switching to Bloomerang

Donorview was not easy to work with and customize to get the results I needed.

Response from Bloomerang

Replied August 2020

Thanks, Trey!