Bloomerang Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2022

Find out more:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"I haven't ever used a program that has this feature. They genuinely care about their users and consistantly reach out to ensure they are still pleased with the program and the service received."
  • icon"It's easy to use, mostly intuitive, you don't have to be techy to be successful at using it, and their customer support is world-class. The more we use Bloomerang, the more we love it."
  • icon"There team has been great to respond to requests and they offer some excellent webinars and education for fundraisers."
  • icon"The inability to correct bad emails without getting an override from customer service."
  • icon"We are still having one problem with our conversion."
  • icon"Our current biggest annoyance is that it's hard to filter out mass emails when looking at a donor timeline. We have a workaround for that, so it's not been a major challenge to date."

Have you used Bloomerang and would like to share your experience with others?

All Bloomerang Reviews

1-25 of 1,181 Reviews

Patrick

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Donor relations decoded

Amanda

Highly Recommended Program

Pros

We switched to Bloomerang as an organization around a year ago. This program is intuitive and user friendly. The transition between programs was flawless and simple on our end. The data is well organized and easy to access. Our previous program required chatting with a representative every time we needed to create a report - however this program is easy to use and we've rarely had to use the chat feature! The times we've used the customer service chat have been fabulous. The people are friendly and very helpful! The training is excellent. We love how it tracks our fundraising goals and how simple the online donation form was to create. I also enjoy using the email blast feature - this has helped us reach out to our supporters in a new, easy way!

Cons

I honestly don't have any suggestions at this point. This program is better than we hoped for.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

Based on our specific supporters, we felt Bloomerang would be a better fit. Network for Good seems like a good program for more tech-savvy individuals, however our supporter base is much older and the extra tech was unnecessary for us.

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

eTapestry was unhelpful, unengaged and we could not effectively use the program. After our three year contract, we knew we needed something better.

Reena

Industry: Philanthropy

STAY AWAY!! One of the worst companies I have ever worked with.

Pros

There are not a lot of pros to this extremely simple and basic software. As a small nonprofit just starting out, we thought kind of database would be useful, but it has such limited capability and is not user-friendly at all. There are much better products out there with much more capability and donation and social media integration.

Cons

Our experience with this company has been extremely negative and has caused a lot of stress and problem where it was not needed. While they provide adequate online support, as a 20-year advancement professional who has used many CRMs, this software and its capability is very limited. Our account manager and the CEO have also proven to be inflexible and unkind.   We received our renewal invoice 26 days before it was due after discovering Bloomerang was sending the renewal invoice to an employee of ours that left 3 years ago. As a result, we asked for a waiver for the 45-day cancellation clause because of the circumstances. We are a small non-profit and they would not even talk with us. After myself and my colleagues called 7 times to get some answers, I sent a contract cancellation letter outlining the lack of customer service by not paying attention to this matter. We were not happy that it took almost a week for someone to even call us back and that was because I wanted to cancel my service. They would not even discuss a resolution with us and were happy to seek legal action if necessary. We have canceled our contract but not after having to pay for a full year and on top of that Bloomerang had the nerve to charge a service fee because we canceled out auto-renew. As a small non-profit that helps alleviate blindness in the world, that actuates to 103 people we could have given sight to. They absolutely do not conduct good business and I will never use or recommend this company to anyone.

Response from Chris, Bloomerang

If you're reading this, know that we hate to see outcomes such as this - and as you can see from the other reviews on our profile, this situation is extremely rare. For what it's worth, the BBB reviewed this complaint and afterwards conferred upon us an A+ rating.

Replied September 2018

kimberly

August 2022

Just keeps getting better and better!

Great donor tracking and ability to document all interactions- even emails from an outside program. This is very important!

Pros

Like the ease of use and ability to customize, although it can be a bear to figure out exactly how you want to use it.

Cons

Wish we could permanently add in all the different military ranks as titles, they only have a few, and each service has their own way of abbreviating, so it's a chore to not have them included in the dropdown.

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

We has the old desktop version of blackbaud and did not want to switch to their online only version.

July 2022

Ease of use and excellent support

CEC was brand new to fundraising when I arrived and having a true CRM with donate page and payment processing functionality was the primary objective. Tracking gifts has been easy as has reporting. The moves management structure and tools ie notes, interactions , task reminders are excellent. Working on an import currently to begin engaging with alumni. Have had excellent support throughout. I also like your many webinars.

Pros

Intuitive and easy to deploy, like the interface with its plain language and clean, clear graphics and look/feel of the site. Easy data entry. Easy to schedule reports. Customer support is excellent. Donate pages easy to set up once workarounds were developed for our environment.

Cons

CEC is unique in that it is like 9 separate orgs under one umbrella. Being forced into one name on our donate pages was a challenge but we were able to find a workaround, although it was clunky and time consuming to do. The donate form isn't the most attractive and I don't like being forced into those impact statements. Understand why they are there but as a public charter school it's harder to devise such one to one menu options. In fact it encourages/trains people into transactional fundraising mentalities away from the importance of relationships and story.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

I knew Salesforce was way too expensive and complex for our start up needs. The marketing team was looking at it so I was encouraged to as well but it was never a serious contender. I had previously set up grant management tracking in Excel. Individual donors have only been acquired since using Bloomerang to set up donate pages.

Lisa

Very Pleased with this Product

Bloomerang is simple, intuitive, playful, and inviting. The few problems I have had have been solved very easily through Online Chat. Online Chat is SUCH a wonderful feature - as a brand new development officer, it gave me confidence to explore the software and try solutions first, because even thought the Help & Videos is a great feature, sometimes you just need to chat live with an expert. Especially when time is of the essence. I really am so thrilled with the responsiveness of the chat team!

Pros

I was brand new to fundraising/development when I started at my organization. My predecessor had used a different CRM and I found it very clunky and complicated. I immediately started looking around for a replacement. I found Bloomerang through their online webinars, did more research and vetting, and ending up switching as soon as I could.

Cons

As I've gotten used to the software, I'm so in love with it I can't think of anything I would improve!

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

I had used Blackbaud's Education Edge for years as an admissions director and never liked it. When I started in development, I tried Raiser's Edge but didn't like it for the same reasons, the primary of which was the very poor customer service and help.

Hamsa

Industry: Individual & Family Services

User-Friendly Software

Other than the one con mentioned above, I have loved using Bloomerang. I have been working as a non-profit database person for almost ten years now and I cannot see wanting to change software programs anytime soon.

Pros

As someone who works at a non-profit, the biggest pro of Bloomerang is how user-friendly it is. Anyone, at any level of software experience, can look at the database and learn information about our donors. They can also learn how to use the software quickly and efficiently. Bloomerang's customer service is also amazing. They always get back to us right away and since I'm in the software all day, it takes a weight off knowing they are there to assist.

Cons

As my organization's admin, the biggest con right now is the Relationships Tab, specifically when it comes to organizations. Not being able to assign multiple contacts and categories of contacts makes things difficult. We are a small organization so I'm able to work around it as best as I can, but we usually have one contact for grants who we need to contact via email and another contact for acknowledgement letters. Sometimes we even have a third contact at an organization who is our employee giving and volunteer contact. There is currently no way to differentiate who we want to send a communication to without adjusting it manually. This is the biggest downside and the biggest complaint I get from Development Officers.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

Not sure. Bloomerang was purchased a few months before I joined my current employer

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

I worked with Raiser's Edge in my previous position and my current employer had recently switched when I joined so I helped with cleaning up and finishing moving everything over to Bloomerang.

Ian

Industry: Mental Health Care

July 2022

Very satisfied customer! I would recommend 100% to any nonprofit!

Transitioning to new donor management software is always a bit scary because of how valuable donor information is to any nonprofit, but the customer service/transition team was excellent and communicated incredibly well throughout the whole process. Everything from pricing to the timeline was laid out and explained very well. Overall the process could not have gone any better, now two + years in we are still very happy.

Pros

This software is very user friendly. I have used three other donor management platforms in my career and all were more complicated than they needed to be concerning donor management and reporting - Bloomerang has been great on these fronts. Training new staff and interns on the software has been super easy as well.

Cons

There really is not a feature that we do not like or anything that has caused us any real concern in using.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

Relationships formed over time with people in the company. A hard sell approach was never used, they answered all my questions and so giving it a shot was the logical next step.

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

Three main reasons: user friendly, price, and customer service.

Alexis

October 2022

Pros

I enjoy having the timeline for a donor, so I know of all recent interactions.

Cons

When putting together letters, it sometimes doesn't populate all of the transactions that are associated with the requirements.

Hiral

November 2022

Very Compliant and easy to use platform for best customer experience

Pros

I really liked using Bloomerang. I have used this in past multiple times. it is really easy to use.

Cons

There is nothing I don’t like about Bloomerang.

Jacquelyn

Great for Small Teams!

Overall it's been mostly a positive experience. It is definitely an improvement over our old system (DonorPerfect) and I really enjoy using it.

Pros

The reporting abilities and interface is very easy to use even for beginners, very intuitive overall. The customer chat is also really helpful in figuring out the reporting so that makes it even easier. The only issue would be organizing existing reports as they really don't have a good way of doing that yet, but they are trying to improve it. The system itself is also easy to navigate and they are constantly trying to make it better. I also like that the email features are built in which makes it easier to report on results. I also like a lot of the free webinars.

Cons

While I like the system overall, it needs a bit more work on core functionality before they carried away on new features. Sometimes they make features that are very one-size-fits-all which often leaves us out. We know what's best for our org, so sometimes we have to opt out of something if they don't let us customize it enough to work for our donors.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

The ease of the reporting system

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

DonorPerfect's reporting system is cumbersome, confusing, and antiquated. The user experience also felt very antiquated. As we were leaving they were trying to update their system, but it was mostly cosmetic so it didn't actually feel like much of a change.

Summer

We love Bloomerang!

Overall, we are extremely happy with Bloomerang! Switching to this product has made our daily processes much smoother.

Pros

We greatly appreciate the ease of this product. It is simple to learn, simple to use every day. We integrated from a very outdated and very messy product. Bloomerang's team was very thorough in cleaning up our data and helping us along this entire process. Bloomerang's support is also excellent!

Cons

Occasionally, our team struggles with the reporting element in Bloomerang. For the most part, we are able to get everything we need from reports. However, there are times where the reporting feature is a bit complex and difficult to use. We are thankful that support is available to assist when issues occur.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

We chose Bloomerang because of the support availability, ease of use, cost, the ability to easily integrate, and reporting.

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

Our product was outdated, difficult pull any report, limited resources for support, and we wanted a smoother product to communicate via email with our supporters.

Amanda

The reporting is Amazing

I've had a great experience and I am really enjoying this CRM more and more as it integrates with so many third party apps.

Pros

The reporting feature is by far one of the best parts of this software. I can segment donors, analyze year over year data, and run fundraising to date reports with such ease. There is no need to export data and run analytics in excel when this software does it all for you. I am also a big fan of the bcc feature that allows me to append emails to donors directly to their constituent files.

Cons

As an arts and culture nonprofit, we have a membership component to our fundraising structure. I feel that bloomerang's ability to really provide for a membership program is weak. We've made it work with some custom fields but it's not ideal.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

Reporting, Price, and functionality.

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

We had an outdated desktop version and wanted a cloud based software that could bring our fundraising into the modern era.

Melody

Bloomerang Review

In one word- easy.

Pros

My favorite feature of Blooomerang is their customer service. It's fast and so so helpful. This software is capable of a lot, but sometimes its hard to recognize of understand what you can make it do. Most things have obvious buttons or functions, but sometimes you can edit or twist those functions to best serve your organization, and it sometimes is not obvious how to do that. But if you contact customer support, they can solve any problem quickly, and if they can't, they go and figure it out and get back to you. It's amazing! I've never had such consistently positive interactions with tech support services, and I really appreciate that most about this software.

Cons

It's a very specific fault, but the fact that we can't add interactions or notes to a household so it shows up on all connected accounts. It has to be however many separate accounts that show up under one feed. An example of when this can be frustrating is when an entire household of four attends an event, and we want that to show up on their timeline, we have to go in and add that interaction to each individual account. It would save a lot of time if we could make one interaction in the household that shows up in each account- adding one interaction over creating four separate ones.

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

Too costly for how minimal their software was. There were a lot of things we couldn't do that we needed, and needed it to be so much easier than it was.

Xavier

Industry: Performing Arts

Bloomerang is the affordable and easy-to-use software you've been waiting for!

Pros

The dashboard! I live there most of my days. It's so customizable. How you track your constituents, whether they are a business or individual/household, is completely open-ended. It's scalable. The reporting feature is essential to any software. Bloomerang has nailed it. They even have scheduled reports as a function. MailChimp integration = a life saver. Bloomerang's email feature is tremendous, but I use MailChimp regularly. Send an email through MailChimp and track the interaction in Bloomerang, all automatically. So efficient!

Cons

I wish there was a way to sync Bloomerang with our ticketing software. That was my biggest question to the developers of ticketing and Bloomerang. More options for merchant solutions. It's limited to some of the most expensive in the market. I would be able to use even more Bloomerang features if they integrated with CardPointe.

Reasons for choosing Bloomerang

Bloomerang fit our business model and met our needs.

Reasons for switching to Bloomerang

Excel does not track relationships between data unless you spend an awful amount of time programming it into the sheet. It was hard to track multiple transactions per donor. And the interactions, too.

Eleanor