• Pros

• "You can tell a lot of thought went into developing this software. They "hit the nail on the head" with this one."

• "Easy of use and setup, various options for customization along with excellent price and customer service. Overall very well engineered product and company."

• "But they are sort of the Feature Creep situation where by adding all things -- and they have a program where if we help design a new feature we can get a royalty.... "

• Cons

• "Not having groups for members to engage within the site. "

• "For a startup, forking a huge amount of money isn't a good start"

• "Nothing to be honest... it’s been an amazing product "

Browse Brilliant Directories Reviews

Alexander from MT24

After long research I found this perfect solution to build a moving platform

Pros

It is very easy to create a platform. It is like a modular system. The support is perfect. That is why you don't need IT staff. Also, price-performance is outstanding. You can use it as a directory and also as a lead generating system. Also, as a classified website. The dashboard is very well structured. I can write a book about the pros.

Cons

There are no real cons. I have now 6 websites with Brilliant Directory.

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

Brilliant Directory has much much much more functions than other products.

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

It is a pre-built system. You can start your project short-term. And with the excellent support, you don't need IT staff in your own company. Brilliant Directory is a fluent system.

Frank from Marketing and Advertising

If You Demand the Best - Look No Further

AS far as a business relationship goes, I have never been treated more professionally by any other company that I have dealt with online. I feel appreciated, respected, and valued as a long-time customer. The integrity of everyone that I have dealt with over the years is beyond reproach. The personal attention I always receive and effort put forth to do the best they can by their clients is unsurpassed. I cannot speak highly enough about their complete professionalism.

Pros

My directories have become the backbone of my business. The years that I have invested in learning how to maximize the constantly growing list of features and expanded capabilities have made my investment in the BD platform one of the most solid business decisions I have ever made in my inline career. Knowing that my search for the perfect platform to use as a foundation on which to build my business has allowed me to grow and prosper in a fiercely competitive marketplace.

Cons

The inability to build high-end landing pages that render beautifully in mobile view. While there have been improvements in this area, there is still a long way to go. I hope capability gets serious attention in the new year.

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

After so much disappointment with the alternatives, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase what for all appearances looked like a platform that was built by people who actually knew what they were doing. I'm continually patting myself on the back for making such a wise decision. Before BD everything was an expenditure, usually wasted. My BD purchase is an investment that has been paying dividends for over 5 years. The constant addition of new features can only improve my revenue going forward.

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

WordPress directory themes and plugins, even when built by the best developers always fall short because the person who built them has never had any actual experience running a directory site. It doesn't take long when using these products to discover that they fall woefully short in meeting the needs of someone wanting to run a 'professional' online directory. These products are simply NOT up to the task. Compared to BD, they are toys.

Starting your directory reality for the Entrepreneur

Pros

I really loved the fact that, budget didn't stop me from purchasing the software. They will work with you as long as you keep an open dialogue of communication. You are able to see a demo of the software before purchase. The website is fresh with good quality webpages, and does not look mediocore. You are offered all the comforts of a basic directory website for users attempting to get started. For customers that utlize the site they are given user friendly functionality of a working online directory. You are given access to others who use the service and their websites to see what your site could look like, and different directories that users who purchased the software utlize it for. If you do not have a color scheme they give you several to use and you can change the color scheme at any time, by picking pre-selected schemes. They do have webinars they invite you too. They have forums and suggestions to improve the software. First impression this is what you would want starting your business and later you can request to see about acting custom functions to your site as your business grows. You have an option to hire a designer for x amount of hours to get your site up and running. They do offer some free services you can add on and some a la carte services as well. Based on its competition, and the web layout of the site to look and function as a directory should it is a top three with competition. You can submit a trouble ticket for single questions, or multiple questions to the site. They do offer an affiliate referral program as well.

Cons

Has video tutorials with how to do's that so not reflect current software uprgrades, so when watching the tutorials on how to do certain functions it does not match your version which can be very confusing for someone who does not know much about computer software. Videos are time consuming, to learn each function. If you make any errors on spelling trying to remember how to get to that part of the website to fix it cane be a hassle. There should be a process to upload users manually. In order to learn the software you have to watch the tutorials and you don't have the options to fiddle with the software as with other programs. There are some features they are needing to consider to intergerate in their software rather than going to a 3rd party site such as reservations booking, affiliate marketing, etc. adding rather simple feature intergration would surely improve their ranking as one of the best directory service providers for features. These could be features in the future with more customer demand. When it comes to how to do tutorials they need to re-vise videos to reflect the current upgrades, and make some processes easier. With many of the fustrations of learning the software and time consumption makes working on your site more of a hesitation, after spending so much money and time to put up the concept and to spend an equal amount of time learning the software is a lot for a new comer and if you do not have the time and patience to learn the software this will be a bad business purchase fail. They should consider an interactive learning guide. Which features screen shots of each screen and explains what each part of the screen is and does then provides a link to edit. Most people are needing a "For Dummies" and do not understand text labels, default values, etc. and if your software is suppose to be the answer for their needs then providing a complete explanation for every function, every section, etc. of your software is very important so no monetizing or marketing effort is missed. The guide should be realistic such as "I want to manually upload users information" then state if the function can be done or not. The older posts in teh forums which says "answered" you go to view the answer it says "You are not allowed to access this page!" if i own my site why would i be limited to answers to monetize my site? So it leaves members with the same question and no update on the answer or any help. esp. when a link with the answer is provided and your not allowed access is fustrating and limiting. You began to feel some type of way about your purchase and receiving quality answers. If you made a purchase to start an idea and not given full access on answers for improvement is very limiting. My advice is if you can't set the time and patience aside to learn the system consider hiring a designer at an additional cost to get started they also offer at additional cost to get one on one time to have someone teach you the software and get your business started. The belief to get your business up and running tomorrow is not true, it will require time to build up your site before you would feel comfortable launching. This is not a user friendly drop and click website, you will have to really learn the software, espicially if your on a budget. Still struggling with getting my site up and getting answers to can I set my site up to make

karen from mynewjob limited

great product with loads of bells and whistles

excellent. staff excellent at resolving issues and answering queries

Pros

really happy with our decision to move from another product to brilliant directories. whilst it takes a while to get to grips with the customisation options - this product can be tailored to suit almost any membership site deployment and there is great support available to get you up and running quickly.

Cons

slightly clunky admin interface - could be more intuitive about where to find things

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

pricing structure and free trial suited my needs

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

wanted a more elegant public facing website and wild apricot did not deliver this.

Volkan from Babies & Photographers Association

Industry: Photography

Right Choice!

Pros

I tried almost every membership and directory software in the industry. Overall, Brilliant Directories is the best solution for me. I used the free trial option for a week and loved it. It is so easy to use and it's an awesome product even without the VIP Add-Ons.

Cons

I'll let you know once I open it to the world. I haven't tested it with the real members yet.

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

When I compared the functions and the price, its the best of them. The other huge factor is [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. I had so many questions, concerns and demands. He kindly answered all my questions, solved my concerns and helped me within my budget. I'll start my project asap thanks to him. I hope I'll get the same support after the sale.

Nick from Animas

Love it for two big reasons!

Loving it and loved the service. Super quick and responsive service.

Pros

There were two reasons I bought Brilliant Directories within hours of discovering it! Firstly, the software itself was far better than any other directory I had found by far (including the horrible experience of trying to build one on Wordpress with ListingPro). Secondly, the service. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]called me within minutes of my inquiry and patiently walked me through the platform. She was super clear and very helpful and I "walked" away with 3 licenses!

Cons

Nothing yet - I am still building it but it's clear to me that is is excellent.

Aesthetics, flexibility, service

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

Just so many more features can be deployed so quickly

Mitchell from ExpertClick.com

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

Wow, does this have lots of features...

Love it

Pros

Cons

Sort of complicate -- could have a better series for onboarding -- like here's a series or 12 Videos to watch -- like 10 minute videos.

Better at: 1) Having different member levels

It works, it looks good but it costs

So far its been simple to set up and there are a ton of resources to help

Pros

Look sick on mobile, heck looks good everywhere, easy to edit, lots of help in FB groups and CS. Lots of add on as well..

Cons

The add ons are far from affordable and it really reminds me of a popular ecom planform in that respect.

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

I love WordPress but the updates can be disastrous

Augustus from McMillan Consulting

Great Directory

Pros

All the features. Plenty of options that can benefit members. And use as revenue if you choose.

Cons

Not having groups for members to engage within the site.

Edirectory - price Wordpress- ease of installation

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great to work with!

Excellent.

Pros

Great presales support from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team.

Cons

Nothing so far. Way too many setting and will take a while to become a master. But that’s not really a negative.

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

Support, combined and integrated solution.

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

All in one membership management

Sandy from ComStar Network

Brilliant Directories: A Brilliant, Outstanding Company!!!

Another major factor in our decision to go with Brilliant Directories was that they provide the most support on the plant! You get helpful videos from some of the best business directory experts in the US. It's is like going to BD university. Their online help universe gets you the answers you need immediately. Also, if you are still struggling, you can get help by submitting a ticket. The customer support people are great! Also, their Facebook page has a very active community that shares ideas and is there to help you 24/7. If you are looking for the whole package, killer software, great support, and an active community that is there to help you reach your goals, seriously consider Brilliant Directories as your online solution. You won't regret it.

Pros

When we first starting researching directory software, we spent a few months looking at various options in the marketplace. Since we were working with major companies in every market, It was very important that the platform be very stable, be loaded with features, and be bug-free. It needed to be solid, day one. We read all the reviews, tried all the free trials, and finally made our decision. After extensive evaluation, the Brilliant Directory product easily won the competition. Brilliant Directories is a "World Class" product. It's rich in features. Really, it has more features than any other platform. And the best part, it all works! Unlike other software, that can be buggy, the Brilliant Directory works the first time. And if you are having setup issues, their customer care people can help you get up and running quickly. Also, if you can run Microsoft Office programs like Word or Powerpoint, you can set up a Brilliant Directory Website. There is nothing to code. And unlike other products, you won't have to spend thousands of dollars paying your IT people to try to make some other buggy directory software work properly. If you've ever struggled for days or even weeks with second-class software to get it running right, you will appreciate how simple they have made the software to the end-user. It's easy it is to get up and running in a few hours! That right, hours, not days or weeks.

Cons

We really don't have any major or minor complaints about the software. I was expecting that something so complex, with tons of features, would be a nightmare to set up and run. I expect problems. It ended up being really easy. Most of it is was automatic. Like all high-quality software products like iPhones, or Microsoft 365, the Brilliant Directories software is elegant, solid, and VERY user-friendly. This is the one to beat!

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

The other directory products are simply not in the same league. None offer extensive video training and support. If you want a low-cost, high-quality product for your business or organization, I would seriously check out BD. Congratulations to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the gang at Brilliant Directories for building a World-Class Product and Organization!Brilliant Directories is the real thing. The best software! The best support! The best people!Brilliant Directory Rocks!Sandy DavisPresidentComStar Network

Steve from Kiribiss.com

These guys are truly passionate about letting normal people own productive and customisable websites

I managed to create a website which allows me to work from home and make some extra money to help with the bills. I created a top-notch website with no knowledge of programming or coding, thanks to the great work done behind the scenes by everyone involved with Brilliant Directories. They are truly passionate about their work, and it shows.

Pros

My previous website built by another company started falling to pieces due to the fact that the programmers wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for every comma or full stop I needed to add. I could not do any alterations myself, even though they had promised that I would own the code. In the end, I lost all my google rankings and it became ineffective. I was about to lose all my members and 3 years of hard work. I am so glad that after some research, I found this great company who ticked all the boxes of my requirements. First, I wanted to be able to customise all the site pages. Not just the design features. I needed to be able to create new customised pages, in order to allow me to develop my original concept. As well, I wanted this flexibility to be able to keep the website relevant as time went by. Secondly, I wanted to have a support team which is expert and dedicated to this site. The main clincher is that the support is included for free with the package you buy, and not charged separately for every minor issue one will invariably encounter along the way. The exception to this is when you need to do some major changes which will affect the whole system. The job you require is quoted by select programmers, who do a great job. The forte of brilliant directories is their amazing documentation, video tutorials and the Webinar Wednesdays. Go through these and you can learn how to manage your site inside and out. They hold nothing back. Cannot thank them enough.

Cons

Even though Brilliant Directories offer website templates for most types of businesses, varying from Yellow pages type, to Real Estate to Events to Jobs, if you have a website concept that doesn't fit exactly into a template, then you need to do some customisation. For this you need to pay extra. The learning curve increases the more different your concept varies from the templates. There are so many possibilities with this software, that you can never really master it all, especially if you have no coding knowledge like myself. However, considering the low entry fee, and that most businesses are covered by the templates, then the chance of any major software customisation you might need are minimal. Anyway, to their credit, they are constantly updating the basic structure with new functions and this is decreasing the need of customisation.

Doris from Womsga Advertising Solutions

Brilliant and Caring!!!!

I'm grateful that I found brilliant directories, the fact that the support team is so patient, understanding, and eager to help my business grow is amazing. I feel like I not only found a great product, but I'm a part of a business family that's down to earth, and genuinely want my business to be successful. I'll never forget what Jason did for me, for anyone to take the time to give valuable help and advice at no cost says a lot to me about that person's character. I'm just so thankful to have found a company that's not all about just making a quick buck off of you, but that really wants to see your business succeed. Thank you so much Jason, and the entire support team, you guys are AWESOME!!!!!

Pros

I like most about this product is the ease of the video tutorials, and the prompt response from the support teams, they really helped me set up my directory with minimal stress.

Cons

I don't like that I'm not able to understand the development side of the software. Things that I'd like to implement into my site I'm not able to, because I don't know how to read codes, and scripts.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied December 2016

Hi Doris. We can't thank you enough for your amazing feedback. We're thrilled that you've been successful with the software. Regarding the major customizations that may require some coding, we hear your complaints. This is our development teams number one priority at the moment. We truly do appreciate your honest review. It's what helps us continue to improve the software for our amazing users like yourself :)

September 2016

Victoria from The Small Black Business Directory

September 2016

Good software, but must know HTML, CSS and Javascript to get the full benefit

There was definitely a learning curve with this software. I was not aware that so much HTML knowledge was necessary. Even the support is answered in a way that tells you to go in and change some HTML, which I think is misleading. I am not that knowledgeable in programming languages and I'm finding it difficult to go in and make some of the changes I need to make. The term 'widget' is also misleading. I'm sure the designers/creators know that many of us are coming from WordPress and for the most part, their widgets do not need extensive editing via HTML to do what you need. With BD, there is no WYSIWYG editor for the widgets which makes it nearly impossible to get the widget to do the things you need unless you hire a developer, which brings me back to some of the features being misleading. If you are like me and running a one-person show, you will not be able to pay thousands or even hundreds of dollars to get a widget to display differently, something that should be easily editable via a WYSIWYG editor. Also, searching for which widget controls what is confusing, even when viewing your website as an admin. I think this is powerful software and I can appreciate the time spent developing it, however I think more consideration needs to be given to those who are not developers. It's only fair.

Pros

I like the payment features, especially the fact that members can upgrade their plan on their own. I also like that the software comes with payment processing built right in. The geolocation is also a great feature.

Cons

As I stated above, too much programming knowledge is needed to get the full use of the software. I think future updates need to address this issue and help make it more user-friendly. Also, it is difficult sometimes to find where you need to go to make certain updates - the section titles are not clear.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied October 2016

Hi Victoria, thanks so much for your feedback! The Brilliant Directories platform was designed so that anyone, despite their experience level with HTML or CSS, can successfully launch and manage a directory website. While more complex edits and customizations do require the editing of some HTML or CSS, the majority of the website settings are either point-and-click or drag-and-drop. We truly do value your input and will be sure to keep your suggestions in mind for our future updates. Many of our upcoming updates do reflect your suggestions to incorporate even more point-and-click options that don't require any HTML or CSS knowledge. We love hearing what our users have to say so that we can continue making the platform even more easy to use. Thanks for the review!

PAUL from PURELOCAL

July 2016

The only Directory platform you'll want or need...

I wanted to open an online directory and did my research online. I didn't have alot of money or time and wanted something easy to setup without hours and dollars spent customising as i'm a perfectionist. Enter BrilliantDirectories.com I paid their comparatively tiny fee and placed the directory theme on my domain. The default theme is good but the ability to edit it is very easy so I spent a while changing the theme to my liking. The SEO,features and everything required to run an online directory are included and I imported some businesses very easily. Note , their admin shows a 10GB LIMIT but this can be ignored , I went over the limit of data but BD allow this so there are no limitations when using BrilliantDirectories. The site is currently live at PURELOCAL.com.au and it is great. I highly suggest purchasing the lifetime licence , 1 domain lifetime licence is what I got but am considering spending a little more to get lifetime licences for 5 domains. Their server appears to have constant uptime and all server/ftp/etc edits can be done including htaccess , gzip , ssl , security , optimisation , etc. There is 1 other service offering the same .. service..which I viewed online but their default themes were ugly and their prices higher. In terms of support with your BD site - they have an online forum and ticket system which will answer your questions within 1-2 days. Because they are popular they answer alot of support tickets therefore I wouldn't demand an immediate answer as your request takes 1-2 days to investigate and aptly respond to. All you need to perfect or edit the design of your BD store is a mediocre knowledge of CSS - but if you're not computer savvy at all , you'll still be able to run your own great looking online directory... I'm rating BrilliantDirectories a 4.9/5 ... if you're a user of BD and require my help with something , please contact me through PURELOCAL AUSTRALIA. All the best and best of luck with your BD site! PAUL

Pros

AFFORDABLE EASY TO USE NO COMPETITION GOOD TECHNICAL SUPPORT HIGH QUALITY TEMPLATES GOOD SEO RELIABLE SERVERS ALL BASES COVERED HIGHLY CUSTOMISABLE

Cons

NO CONS THAT COME TO MIND

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied July 2016

Hi Paul, Thanks so much for the stunning review - we're glad your directory has taken off without a hitch! We understand how important good tech support is to our customers. We typically respond to tickets within 1 business day, though we do appreciate your understanding if it takes slightly longer. Our team is always just a click away to help make your dream website a reality. Cheers!

May 2015

Susan from EGW

May 2015

Confused by support emails and options

Have been getting regular emails about support. One that arrived the other day said would cost $2000. to set up my website, and want to know, how much of a setup is that? Will you find an appropriate template? Set colors? Upload my logo? Discuss with me and set options for membership levels? Discuss with me and upload categories from plan? Can you send me any links from websites you did the setup and they went live? In addition I recall asking for basic training but no one got back to me about a time to set that up. Instead I got an email to complete to get developer bids. Seems like I'm responding to your emails request for response, and not sure if anyone is actually reading them and responding... which leaves me confused. Hiring a developer may be too expensive for me. The other day I responded to one of your emails and attached the startup plan excel document and you said you could set up my website for $200. if that includes colorizing, choosing a template that will shine, communicating with me so categories and membership levels are good, my logo is uploaded and looking good on background and my site looks professional, and is truly ready to go... ready to sell... ready to use to look up local restaurants, etc. Great! Bottomline is if you can get me up and going, looking and working good for $200., will use my logo, and discuss with me how to manage the site, I would love to move ahead and do that, and want to know how to get that clarified and move forward. Right now I'm confused as to how to find out more details about the levels of support, what I really get (such as I have a domain at godaddy or hostgator so how does that work?), and seems when I do respond to your emails for support -- like I thought I booked a getting started session request -- yet no one got back to me with a response about actually setting up the training time. So am confused and want to forge ahead... otherwise... love you folks :) Thanks!

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied May 2015

Hi Susan, Thank you for your message. We are always happy to help - especially if this is your first directory website with us. 99% of users can start customizing their sites with colors, images, text, membership levels and more after watching some of the GETTING STARTED video guides. Here's a link to find some easy video guides to show you how to set up all the aspects of your directory website. The first video is "WELCOME TO BRILLIANT DIRECTORIES": http://support.brilliantdirectories.com/support/solutions/articles/5000610378-welcome-to-brilliant-directories It shows first-time users some of the most basic features of the software. As always, please feel free to browse our Knowledge Base and join discussions in the community forums here: http://support.brilliantdirectories.com/support/discussions/5000044830 We wish you great success with your directory website. Help is just a click away! - Brilliant Directories

Jon from Jon Randall

Great Value

Generally good ... I will say I haven't used it as much as I have hoped but ultimately that is on me ....

Pros

I really like the webinar Wednesdays when I have attended them, I will admit it has been a while but see the additional training as valuable. I find the software robust and while my website building skills are on the lower end I can usually figure out how to use the software, it might take me a little longer but ultimately I usually figure it out.

Cons

In some ways the same as my pros in that it can be somewhat difficult and overwhelming at times but that has to do more with my skill level but generally I find a way so not too much of a complaint here.

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

I was initially with RelyLocal which is similar to a franchise model and felt limited by the options their software offered social set out to look for my own opinion and narrowed it down to Brilliant Directories and one other of which their name escapes me at the moment .... I came close to going with them because they offer a mobile app but ultimately found Brilliant Directories a better value with more options so once I was informed getting an app added was possible and relatively easy to do when I want to I decided this was the way to go. My initial directory has essentially been placed on hold as my mother in law needs full time care and lives over an hour from where we lived and ran a "shop local" directory so life changed our path but we have ideas on how to get rolling in 2021.

Ceslovas from VINS

Finally I have made a decision!

I have been looking for a platform for creating business software and its vendors directory. I analyzed many Word Press Directory Themes available on the market and decided not to compile my system from numerous plugins but to use integrated platform devoted for this purpose. After comparing Market Grabber, eDirectory and Brilliant Directories platforms I have chosen the last one. Pros: 1. Convenient directory structure. I will use Listing feature for Vendors and Product feature for software systems. 2. Continually developing leads generating module. 3. Perfectly developed users training and support system (videos, documentation, community forums'). Cons: 1. There is not possible to set up hierarchical structure for products feature. 2. Products rating and review functionality is missing. 3. Not very flexible pricing setting system for different membership levels. It would be nice to set additional payments for every category and service area.

Cons

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied December 2016

Hi Ceslovas. Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you've found our training and support resources helpful. We are constantly adding new material to our Support Center to make sure our users have as many resources at their disposal as possible. I also appreciate the cons you laid out - these help us improve the software. Regarding the pricing system for your different members, while individual membership levels are limited to the pricing options you set for them, you can create more niche/specific membership levels for certain categories or service areas. You can then set different payment options for those - just another option :) Thank you again for your feedback!!

Luis from 1-800-TAXISTA.COM INC

My Great Experience with Brilliant Directories

It has been exceptional, I love the videos like I told representative, I stay up late at night just watch them. They are great educational tools. The conference calls are great because you get to learn from other entrepreneurs from all over the world. I didn't have that experience with the other company., or maybe they didn't stress it enough as Brilliant directory does. The other great experience I had in the last few days, is the call that I get from the owners of Brilliant directory, representative a co-owner calls me to congratulate me on my site. That tells me that they are paying attention to what new business owners are doing, it tells me that they are not just for our money, but also for the success of our business. That is key!

Pros

I really don't know where to start. There are so many great features that brilliant Directories offer. I love the different themes and ideas that the Brilliant Directory provides for me and my company. I have been with E-directory for several years, and I sometimes feel that they don't want to be bothered, on the other hand, I get the feeling that the owners and staff of Brilliant Directory make me feel that if they don't help us to succeed they won't succeed. That is a great attitude to have in any business. At first, it bothered me about the 15 minutes call they grant us, but after 2 sessions with Representative, he was able to show me how to build my site in less than 15 minutes.

Cons

Cons I can't speak of any. I haven't had any bad experience as of yet I don't foresee any, they are very organized with their product, knowledge, and training.

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

I think I already mention above why I cancel my subscription with E-Directory and switch with Brilliant Directory. I wish had discovered brilliant directory years ago.

Cristina from DRL Directory

Great Software and Awesome costumer service but not efficient support

I signed up for the system because I can see the potential of the system but I am having difficulties in using more advanced setting due to lack of information and support. 3 stars for ease of Use and 1 star for Customer Support because it is easy mainly to do very basic things demonstrated with the videos provided. It was very easy for me to understand how to implement the menu and add new items to the menu but when I asked support for my menu to be the same as Brilliant Directories demo it took a long time for me to have it done even though I sent the link to the demo the way I wanted. I received the link to the video showing how to manage the menus 3 times even though I was saying that I have learned that already. By now there are a lot of pending things that are not happening in terms of support. The ticket system is not efficient. It takes a lot of time for the ticket to be responded and when responded a lot of times is with another questions and your answer opens another ticket which takes even more time to be responded. Kelvin Vaughan is amazing and promptly responds every time you contact him. A suggestion to improve the awesome service Kelvin provides as representative of Brilliant Directories would be someone in the support team who could take care of everything the client would need to just start right after signing up, because the support is deficient and is not giving the high level of service Kelvin represents and gives on a personal level.

Pros

I wrote in my feedback

Cons

Inefficient Customer support

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied December 2016

Hi Cristina. Thank you so much for your honest feedback. We hear what you're saying and we will do everything we can to improve our customer support. Sometimes our support team gets a bit back logged when an influx of support tickets are submitted, but we are committed to our 24 hour-maximium response times. And while our users wait for a response, we do encourage them to browse our free support center which has hundreds of support documents and video tutorials, along with participating in our community forums. But I absolutely understand where you are coming from and we will be working to improve our customer support. We sincerely thank you for your honest feedback, it's what helps us make our product and support even better. Thank you!

Delyse from South Coast Kids

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Fantastic product, easy to use

Such a beautiful, practical product which you can start using straight away. The team at Brilliant Directories are terrific and there are many avenues to find support if you need it. Excellent value for money considering this is a complete website that you can start using to generate income after just a few steps. Navigation from both the back end and front end is easy, user friendly and fast. Easy to integrate with my existing wordpress site through links - I love that it is a stand alone product. Really happy!

Pros

How user friendly it is and the clean layout and design. I also like that it is a stand alone product. The features are comprehensive and I know will be excellent value for my customers.

Cons

The upload of the categories didn't work for me via the csv file however I am yet to discuss with the support team what I may have been doing wrong.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied December 2016

Hi Delyse. Thank you so much for your honest feedback. We are thrilled the software is working as needed. I completely understand where you are coming from regarding support and that is a major facet of the company that we are currently working to improve. Feedback like yours helps us in doing that. Thank you!

William from Broome

I highly recommend Brilliant Directories!

I have been with Brilliant Directories for several years. Their platform is the absolute best for running a powerful directory. Working with reps. is really phenomenal. It is really amazing to me that I can easily set up and run a powerful membership website. What I love the most about Brilliant Directories is their outstanding support staff, hundreds of online step-by-step videos, Webinar Wednesdays, and extensive online documentation. People that work at this company don’t just want to sell you a website package. Instead, they are all about creating successful business relationships! They fully understand that their customers’ success is their future success. Their Bootstrap framework provides the flexibly for each particular business needs. Thank God I no longer have to deal with trying to get a theme and a countless number of plugins to work together. I have 4 websites with Brilliant Directories now and plan to add many more in the future. If you are looking to get your business online, I highly recommend Brilliant Directories. They are #1 for a reason!

Pros

Having the 50+ dynamic add-ons provides me a website comparable to those of billion dollar companies.

Cons

My experience with Brilliant Directories has been PERFECT.

September 2014

Tima from Spalocators

September 2014

If you are looking for a directory template or software, Brilliant Directories is all you need

I just want to thank you for the last 8 weeks working with all of you incredibly awesome people at BD. I want to thank you Dennis for finding a great yearly solution, the warm welcome, your vibrant and uplifting personality and your proactive 'it can be done' attitude. I want to thank Gaby for being an incredible first coach, you listened to every concern, always guided me in the right direction and made me truly feel I had a friend holding my hand through those first days Kindness and professionalism are hard to come by these days'and Gaby you have this rare ability I want to thank Esteban who as a developer really eased my mind, was so incredibly willing to help at all hours, his coding talent, and the energy of how much he really is proud of BD. He got me through that time when I was about to throw in the towel. I want to thank Alex 'for her meticulous responses, to every bullet point, her kindness and empathy ' and her professionalism and great organization. I never worried I wouldn't receive a response, and always felt at ease you would always find a way to get everything done. And Oscar ' thank you for the last 'bugs'. As a developer, I need to say, your code is excellent, very light'script-wise etc. And hardly any bugs. I've worked on CMS's with so many scripts (for example Magento) - yours seems light as a feather. The BD template has great SM integration, email templates and member backend - you saved my client thousands of dollars in development fees. If my client takes advantage of your lead generation system - there is no excuse for not having a successful directory. You have supplied all anyone needs for a strong launch. That you don't have a lot info for a developer yet is probably the only thing that was frustrating. It would be nice to see visually what all those widgets are in the backend, but I know that will come in the future. Finally, at some point, Alex said to me, 'Welcome to the BD family' on Skype. It really meant something to me, I actually felt it, and after days of working with you all I realized just how much of a family you all are, how you all respect each other and work so closely and with so much care. That 'Welcome to the BD family' wasn't just a typical business welcome. It was a real thing. I would love to work with you all again. And for sure, I will be recommending BD to other developers

Andy from Cloud Ireland

Industry: Animation

Honest Review - as requested.

Going to focus in the negative, which is probably want you want to hear. Before I start, I love your product and I'm looking forward to adding more directories in the future. OK, the bad stuff. 1. Reading through previous posts, over a year old I read that restricted access admins still cannot be created - this is essential to a large directory!! 2. Your offer to make a one off payment rather than monthly concerned me initially, regarding credibility and why? Why would any business prefer short term gain rather than a monthly rental? At first this set off alarm bells regarding cash flow, then I came to the conclusion that it is probably due to a high churn rate of directory owners, so hit em big once makes sense. The rolling last month - ending forever this month is a bit cheesy too. Customer support, I deliberately gave you a low rating to make you notice, in reality customer service was great - BUT offering a better level of support to paid members is not encouraging for newbies trying to get their directory functional within the trial period. I did get a reasonable explanation regarding resources, but I still think its not a good idea. Conclusion - love it.............just need to make it work now.

Pros

read previous

Cons

as above

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied December 2016

Hi Andy. Thank you so much for such an honest review. We truly do appreciate it as it's reviews like yours that help us improve our software each and every day. Regarding your concern with implementing a feature to limit admin access for "lower level" admins - that feature is in the pipeline and our development team is working diligently on it. Regarding the one-time payment, I understand your concerns. In fact, we've recently switched over to monthly payment plans and have done away with our one-time payment option. Thank you again for such an honest review. We take everything to heart and we will absolutely be using your review along with every other review to improve our company as a whole, our customer support division, as well as the software itself. Cheers!

Faruk from Digital Marketing Suites

Out of the box directory business model

The fact that I can test my business model is very good. I was able to quickly get a directory site up and working while I was planning other aspects of my business like the marketing etc...

Pros

With Brilliant Directories, it's very easy to get a directory business up running very quickly. It has so many templates to choose from to suit your business needs. There are so many ways you can customize your site. From the colors to fonts etc... Also, I believe that its very SEO friendly for not just me the admin but other businesses who list their business on the site. Looks very professional.

Cons

Few things I don't like. 1. Brilliant Directories hosts your websites for you. I would've liked to host my sites on my own servers. 2. Some of the VIP add-ons could've been given on the frontend for free. Just simple things like social logins should've been free. 4. Businesses can't seem to create their own categories. We the admin of the site have to create these. Would so much better if the businesses created the categories & sub-categories and these get added to the search functionality. 3. Nothing to help retain your users. Something like a built-in customer loyalty program would be really helpful to keep users coming back.

Mainul from Canrea Inc.

Industry: Information Services

Brilliant Directory is a dream product for directory solution

I find them very professional in service. Great training materials and documentation.

Pros

The best part of Brilliant Directory is it complete integrated solution looking at almost all aspects needed by the business group, associations or community. Starting from membership to classified, real estate, product catalog almost everything is there to serve a business group or community. Before coming to BD, I have tried many other solution which solves on pieces of the puzzle but does not offer all in one composite platform. Additional features or services integrated in the system, offers extra marketable strength for the client if one looks from the business point of view. From service point of view, i have got answers or solutions within 24hrs in most cases. Did not experience any bugs so far. VIP addons are really powerful and end users never said no when i explained the features to them. Representative always goes extra miles to keep the customer happy and earns our undoubted loyalty.

Cons

Initially price seemed to be on the higher side comparing other solutions in the market. But once started using it and exploring the features, it was worth investing. If one is really intending to be in the business for long time, life price will start making sense. Post moderation feature could have been an integral part from the beginning, but now it is there.

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

A features rich integrated solution with great support.

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

To me it seemed incomplete and less intuitive.

February 2015

jj from jjwill

February 2015

My opinion of Brilliant Directories

I would like to share my brief opinion of Brilliant Directories Our team have looked into many directory softwares before we decided on BD. We are experts in WordPress sites and have created and still run a number of WordPress based directories We have purchased 3 FULL licenses from BD as we fully believe this is the best directory software available. BD is 99% ready to go live from the very start, many sites will be able to signup, watch the videos, do some basic changes and off they go. It is the closest directory software thats ready to go straight from off the shelf. We are trying to create directory sites that function slightly different to the majority of directory sites out there, so we are undertaking many customisations in the looks and design and the way it functions. Our development team have found the structure of the BD backend, the access to certain functions and code, is amazingly simple and easy. The more we play around with the system and the code, the more we appreciate what the Brilliant Directory team have created. On the surface the BD admin area is basic. However looking at it in more details you will find that theres a whole world of tweaks, changes and edits that are possible. The system appears to be rock solid, and even when we think we are pushing the system to its limits with code changes, it always functions well. We are extremely happy with our purchase of the FULL licenses, and we have no doubt we will be able to create the perfect directory sites we are aiming to achieve. The only negative we need to make is that we are based in different time zones from the BD team so when we ask a question, we are always a day late in getting a response even if responded by the BD team that same day. I think if the BD team can improve their support reply time scale then the service will be not far from perfect in our opinion I hope that this helps people in some way, and gives some idea of our experience BD team, you guys are nearly there, keep improving the system (as we see you do) and customer service side of things and we think you will go far as a business. Looking forward to launching our sites and creating our directory businesses with you guys.

Tali from t

Brilliant Directories Software Review

This software is good in terms of functionality as it manages subscriptions nicely and wraps the directory functionality into one. However, the user interface is pretty confusing. It takes a long time to figure out how all of the pieces are connected (i.e. where links are stored, how to change forms, how the forms connect with widgets etc.) The UI and the flow could be more user friendly and obvious. Perhaps there should be an overview about how all of the pieces of the website link up to each other. Once you figure out how to use the tools, it requires jumping between many different components to implement a simple change, so it is a bit clunky. Additionally, you really need significant coding experience to customize. I.e. Part of the reason we purchased this software was because it had many of the features we need, and in particular I was told pre-purchase that there was a way to create different types of users (i.e. a general user, A listing user, a non-listing user) and that I could also customize what they each see in their profile. In reality however, in order to customize what each sees in their profile, you need to custom code, which I wasn't aware of....Overall the software includes great functionality for running a site and managing subscriptions but could be more user friendly.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied March 2017

Hey Tali, thanks for the feedback! There definitely are a lot of options included in the Brilliant Directories platform. Our Quick Start Video series (available right in your admin dashboard) lays out a good starting point for basic setup of a website. We also have our Support Center with hundreds of searchable support documents as well as our community forum which our support team monitors. Regarding customizations, there are many built-in options for you to configure when it comes setting up your membership levels and what your different members have access to. Some more intense customizations do require some coding, but many changes can be made via the built-in point-and-click options. Your feedback is incredibly helpful to us and we will absolutely use it to improve our platform in the future. Thank you!

Frank from theusbusinessdirectory.com

Brilliant Directories - The Best the Internet Has to Offer

I have just activated my second directory with BD. I activated my first one after months of searching for a platform that would meet my needs and the second one after maintaining my impression that a more robust, feature rich and easy to use product for creating your own on-line directory does not exist. - anywhere at any price. Period! Everything required to run a successful and profitable directory site is included and all you need is to work as hard as it as you know you should and you will be light years ahead of the competition. Now, any product, regardless of how good it may be is only as good as the individuals that support it and here is where BD truly shines. The entire staff are knowledgeable, helpful, committed to your success and are loaded with great ideas to help keep you moving forward. The coaches are brilliant (no pun intended). I have the pleasure of working with Patrick who has over time consistently proven himself to be better than anyone I have ever dealt with on any Internet project, since the day the Internet came into being. While I could list many of his outstanding attributes, the most important one is his total honesty followed very closely by his indefatigable positive attitude. On days when I felt overwhelmed and ready to throw in the towel from facing my own shortcomings, a chat with Patrick would quickly get me back on track. He has been indispensable as a partner. Nothing in life is perfect, but this system, especially with all the upcoming features is as close as you will find. Trust me, I know from doing my research. Can you find a less expensive way to get a directory on-line? Absolutely, but it's important to remember that "you get exactly what you pay for." You won't find a bigger bang for your buck, anywhere. This is the Rolls-Royce of directory products and if you feel that you deserve the best - than subscribing to this is a total no-brainer. Thank you Brilliant Directories and Patrick for creating a bright future for me by providing the best suite of tools to help make my dream a reality. All the best to all of us in 2015. Cheers. - Frank

Andres from XRSolutionsNetwork.com

Brilliant minds think alike

Pros

There are step by step instructions that make no sense and then there is the simplicity and clarity that the folks at Brilliant Directories bring to the table. I’ve now invested in a second Brilliant Directories directory because I know that if I can’t figure something out on my own even after reading their posts, searching their databases, asking the community and watching their awesome videos, that a highly qualified Brilliant Directories support person will be there for me, patiently helping me and making sure all is resolved in a satisfactory manner. The Brilliant Directories software and the Brilliant Directories team, for example [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who is awesome and the Solution Center team members are all nothing short of BRILLIANT!

Cons

My biggest challenge has been finding the time and patience to truly get to know and thoroughly understand how large and vast the BD solution really is, how much customization and optimization is possible and how much awesome potential this brilliant solution. really truly offers.

Jason from Up Calls

June 2016

Brilliant Directories is the Gem that entrepreneurs, publishers, and startups have been looking for

Being a publisher and site designer for the last 7 years, I have used many builders, and platforms to produce new publishing concept ideas. Each one of these also had their drawbacks; lack of quality, huge learning curves, manually coding issues, etc. I knew the features I was looking for , but was always unable to find them all together for that perfect setup I needed. After years of building far from perfect material, I finally ran into the website for Brilliant Directories. After reading what they offered, and seeing the quality of sites their system can produce, I was very interested, and knew I had to take the chance. I signed up immediately, and right away I got the tools I needed to open my account. I was also introduced to their customer service representatives, which are really great people, and very helpful. Once I began working and developing in the brilliant directories software, I was literally able to design and launch that perfect site that I've been trying to build for last 7 years in about 2 days. Their software is so efficient, and easy to understand, but also has much depth with its options. Mostly, it provides the tools needed for a quality page rank, which is crucial for growing new visitors. The next day, I immediately bought a full site license, with no second thought. The license is an investment in my business, and being able to produce such quality sites myself is absolutely invaluable. It is a very exciting thing for any business owner to realize they now have the tools to build out all their unfinished greatest ideas, along with new ones to come. A very rewarding feeling for sure. I have not encountered any cons with brilliant directories, and I can say that I'm very fortunate to work with such smart talented people, with whom I have developed good relations. Brilliant Directories is the best website development program I have encountered, Their customer service and help departments are professional. There is nothing in my way now to achieving the success I have been working towards.

Ken from Study Abroad Lists

Very Useful Platform for a Directory Startup

We could never have gotten our directory up and running with Brilliant Directories, or something like it.

Pros

Brilliant Directories offers all of the features that any directory needs. It's easy to add options such as: coupons, photos, videos, and blogs, as well as different membership levels. Importing and exporting data is also quite simple.

Cons

By necessity, this software is quite complex. This isn't a flaw - it's just the way a quality directory is. It takes time to learn everything that you need to know to get a directory up and running. Consequently, I recommend starting out with a very specific market niche, and a limited number of features. "Bells and whistles" can later be introduced as upgrades.

Dan from Four Winds

My BD Site experience

Exceptional with BD people not so great with the partners or ex BD employees - seem the system is held up for ransom from these folks

Pros

Affordable, ease of use, adaptable for several projects I have developed

Cons

That the BD team is reluctant to provide more support and make us poor souls rely on the partners who have found a way to monitize a wonderful product. The support and new features should stay within BD and it could grow even bigger. I would rather pay BD the support fees than people who run away because they are not fully committed to the product - just there to capitilize on something great

Reasons for Choosing Brilliant Directories

It was the best at the time with support you could talk to

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

BD is better and easier to use

Sam from SH Marketing

Super Clean Interface and Design

We have developed a few projects for clients in the directory business, with a lot of hard coding and various WP plugins, but can tedious to piecemeal things, and clients want easy, simple tools to use, and it has to look really nice aesthetically. BD has done a great job with their overall look and feel of the system. We still need to dig into it more and see how well it performs in Google, etc. but this is a great out of the box system coming from the eyes of developers. We are curious about the bandwidth issues we have read about, but we will put it to test. If anyone wants to try their hand at a small business with not a lot of cash outflow at first, this is a great way to test the idea. Keep up the nice work BD.

Pros

Clean interface right out of the box.

Cons

So far things look good. We would like BD to maybe include a little more documentation or video for those folks that might want to keep their domain hosted on their own hosting provider, keep their own webmail accounts, etc. yet still be able to utilize the BD email template system. A lot of businesses might want to keep their own webmail system going on their current hosting provider.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied December 2016

Hey Sam. Amazing feedback - thanks so much! Regarding your concerns about domains and email management, being a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution, we do need to host your website on our servers (which is 100% free). However, if you want to maintain a hosting account with the company that you bought your domain from (e.g., GoDaddy, Network Solutions, etc), you can certainly do so to continue to use their services to manage your webmail accounts. Hope that helps and thanks again!

Joey from Greater Danbury

Bait & Switch Tactics

I have been trying to do business and have faith in this company for around 4 years and they continue to over promise and under deliver. I somewhat blame myself for allowing myself to be sucked in over and over again. I have put my best foot forward and have purchased 3 full license plans as well as Executive Coaching and the other "Never Offered Before" services over the years and always end up frustrated. I have focused my efforts on trying to build out one directly properly before trying another. My first full license plan was purchased at a significantly higher price than today's prices. I'm amazed how often they run "Last Chance Offer" specials and again I partially blame myself for allowing to be sucked into it. I recently paid for a platform upgrade because I was told for my site to be fully mobile responsive (even though it was advertised as such), that I needed to spend money which I agreed to. One of my stipulations and actually the main reason for the upgrade is that local businesses would have click to call functionality from the directory. It seems to me that would be a no-brainer functionality. After the migration, I tested the click to call functionality and it was working fine. I have dated emails with them where I discuss the feature working and not working before. Everything was working fine until I noticed about a week ago that it wasn't working again. I notified their customer service and I am being told it is an added feature and I can contract someone from their marketplace. After several back and forth emails, I have had enough of their tactics. This company has a model of sell an out of the box directory and start your online directory tomorrow. They leave out that you will require additional things and they are perfectly willing to sell it to you. They don't stand behind their product and I have sent an email requesting a full refund of every dime I have paid them unless they make it right. I have only asked for what I have paid for and nothing more. I am certain I am not alone in my treatment. I have tried to work it out with them to no avail. All I asked was for a feature that was working, was the reason for my upgrade in the first place is restored.

Pros

It's a great idea

Cons

The customer service is atrocious

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied May 2017

Hi Joey, I'd first like to thank you for your feedback. We take all of our reviews to heart and use them to help us improve our services. I'm so sorry you feel misled - that was never our intention. All of us here at Brilliant Directories strive to provide the best customer support possible and we want all of our users to succeed. This is why we guarantee 1 business day response times, provide an educational community marketing group on LinkedIn, actively participate in our community forums, and host weekly webinars to allow users seeking help to call in live with questions. While we do offer premium add-ons in addition to our flagship software, they are not necessary to get a profitable directory website up and running. Additionally, because Brilliant Directories websites are built on the Bootstrap framework, all websites are mobile responsive immediately from launch. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience. We have reached out to you in the hopes of remedying this situation.

Kurt from KW B.R.A.V.E. & Associates, Inc

Off on the Wrong foot

So far I have not been able to get a proper receipt for one of the packages I purchased. I wrote back to Billing yesterday and I have yet to recei8ve a reply . I spoke with Kelvin yesterday as well, and he attempted to make it happened but it was not executed properly and I am reluctant to disturb him again as he claimed to be extremely busy with world wide clients.

Pros

Very comprehensive. Has all of the features I need to make great websites.

Cons

So far, nothing stands out as a dislike, but it would be nice if their was a better library of high resolution photos. So far I have not been able to locate any of the photos as seen on the Brilliant Demo.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied July 2016

Hi Kurt, I apologize that you did not get your receipt right away after your purchase. We have double checked with the team and a copy of it has been sent to you for your records. I'm glad Brilliant Directories has all of the features that you were looking for! A great place to get high quality stock photos is Adobe Stock (stock.adobe.com). You can use images licensed from Adobe stock on your website, and you won't be infringing on any copyright laws. Thank you for the suggestion regarding a font preview feature! We'll work on this and see if it's something that we can implement. Thanks for all of your great feedback. We use feedback from users like yourself to constantly improve the Brilliant Directories software.

April 2016

R from self

April 2016

Brilliant Directories is brilliant!

I've been helping a budding entrepreneur consider launching an online business. She wanted to launch an online local directory of her hometown with the purpose to improve both online to offline opportunities for local businesses and the community. The only problem was she has no technical background. I recommended Brilliant Directories to her because offers a simple turn-key website solution with unlimited possibilities without the need for any technical experience. They give you the confidence to focus on managing operations by saving tremendous time to launch any website directory concept. Discover other website themes they offer such as; classifieds, job board, e-commerce site, blogging, etc. We experimented with the 14 day free trial and it was clear that Brilliant Directories out of the box was better then anything else (sorry wordpress I still love u for blogging). Along with the amazing directory component it offers an internal email system and a lead generation/management component for further monetization options. During the 14 days we had time to determine that Brilliant Directories was the best option to run an online directory instead of using a premium wordpress directory theme or plugins, etc. Along the way we experienced amazing support and customer service via their online solution center, forum or directly via email. We also enjoyed the explainer videos on the Brilliant Directories YouTube channel by Patrick and other trainers. A few times I required some advanced technical support and Brilliant Directories team came through with immediate response offering suggestions and options. We look forward to rolling out our new Brilliant Directories website and other future concept websites. Thanks to the entire Brilliant Directories staff including special thanks to Kelvin & Dennis for timely support and professionalism. We highly recommend Brilliant Directories to anyone interested in operating an online website. Cheers.

Philip from 1-800-HURT-911®

Industry: Law Practice

Review by a new user

Excellent. I sent an email to support on a Saturday and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] even called me back a couple of hours later and spent a lot of time on the phone with me.

Pros

I only just started using Brilliant Directories but it looks nice on the public side and looks easy to use on the admin side. I like that it includes hosting. I have directories using WordPress which is a lot less expensive but I thought I would try Brilliant Directories for a couple of directories. Although I only just got one directory set up, I like it and just bought three more because of the discount offered for Black Friday. I wasn't very happy about the cost of the addon plugins and thought I would try using it without the addons but because of the Black Friday discount, I bought another 3 sites and 5 VIP addons. I started moving a criminal lawyer directory at 1888drugcrimes.com using PHPYellow (no longer in business) to 1800drugcrimes.com using Brilliant Directories. So far it looks good. Since PHPYellow is out of business and I have seen Brilliant Directories for years I thought I could trust Brilliant Directories to stick around. Now, I will start moving some WordPress directories to Brilliant Directories.

Cons

Cost. But the directories look good and the extra cost probably keeps Brilliant Directories in business when companies with less expensive scripts like PHPYellow are no longer in business.

It looks better.

Reasons for Switching to Brilliant Directories

I couldn't update an old directory using PHPYellow because the company is no longer in business. I will move some WordPress directories because Brilliant Directories looks better.

Ester from LocalShops1

Very impressed so far!

So far I'm very happy with BD. I'm relatively new to the platform, but have had my business and website under various other platforms for 10 years! BD is BY FAR more affordable, more mobile-friendly AND more functional than any other platform I've used in the past. I also like that BD seems genuinely interested in helping their clients grow, and provide marketing webinars and a marketing group on Facebook, so BD staff and website owners can help each other. The only negative is that BD does not offer phone or chat support. The email tech team is prompt, but sometimes it can take several hours (or even a day or two), for something that would have taken 5 minutes over phone or chat.

Pros

The platform offers a ton of features and functionality, and though there is definitely a learning curve, a non-techie can set it up and get it running in just a few hours. It's easy to customize colors, fonts, branding, text labels, etc., and make the site look nice quickly. I also like that the platform is very mobile friendly!

Cons

My biggest issue is that it can get expensive to customize beyond the regular features, unless you are a developer and know what you're doing. But having said that, most other platforms don't even offer the option to customize as much. So it's not necessarily a negative. Just frustrating knowing that something IS possible but costly, rather than knowing that something is not possible.

andrew from amh solutions

The platform is good, but if you need help support is pretty rubbish.

Pros

Easy to use, if you are a complete beginner with no experience you will have problems. Can be quite easy to customize if you know what you are doing.

Cons

Support is bad. I have only ever had the same 2 people reply to my support tickets. If you are based outside the USA like me, then you will have to wait for a reply, sometimes 2+ days for a simple question. The forum is a waste of time, no one ever on there. You might be lucky and get a reply back within 2 weeks. The hosting is another issue, they host the site on their servers so if you have any problems with the site being down, again you are at the mercy of their support.... if you can call it that. This is a main concern for me, running a business with their software you need BD to offer 24/7 support. They keep saying they are going to make changes, still waiting for that.... I don't think I would buy from them again, unless they buck their ideas up.

Cathryn from Acacia Law

Great directory software

Being able to test out the demo software was fantastic as I had some very specific requirements that are not often found in directories. My customer service chap, Dennis was very patient with my questions.

Pros

This software has massive amounts of functionality. They seems to have improved it over a number of years, so you are getting the collective wisdom of directory software creation over several years. Other directory building software that I looked at had very limited features compared to Brilliant Directories. I love how nothing is "locked down". Other software does not allow you to change the code other than by paying them to do so. They also have an amazing library of training videos, generally 2 to 3 minutes long, so you can search for your particular problem and review info on just that (not having to sit through 57 minutes of irrelevant stuff to find the 3 minutes that answer your question. If you do not find an answer, you can email their support team or post a message for other users of the software to share their experiences.

Cons

Because there are so many features, it can feel overwhelming to get to grips with how to set this up for a non-technical person, but there is a lot of support available and most of it is easy to remember (pretty obvious) once you have seen the video on a particular thing (technically-minded people will likely find this system a breeze to learn)

Justin from Travis Group Ltd

Impressed so far

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been a great help in sales - really knows his stuff and is a joy to deal with. Software so far - has been fine. I will need time to get used to it - but the start has been possitive. Will update in due course. I have already purcahsed 3 lifetime sites and VIP add ons - 2 of which are no more than a work in progress. I would not have acquired these if I did not think the software would support my idea..

Pros

So far it has allowed us to explore alternative ideas to our traditional core method of operation. It will be interesting over the coming months to see how this allows us to expand.

Cons

Like with any software that is capable of doing a lot of things, it can be a bit of a minefield for non techies (me) to get their head around all the features. In this case the explantions of what something does is good, there are great support videso and help pages - its very user friendly. The drawback I have found, is that there are so many options - they are not always found in the most intuative locations. So I do spend time getting confuesd where to look for things, & then getting in a muddle. Resolving that completely would make the overal user experience totally fantastic. Its good anyway - but this would just take it up another level.

Lev from CleaningConnections.com & SpotlessCheetah.com

Absolutely Outstanding

The Brilliant Directories team has just been incredible. Their support is top-notch and their products are incredibly innovative and carefully designed to enhance your business. I haven't had a bad experience so far, and I've been with them for nearly a year. They provide so much content for me to refer to when I get stuck on something, I'm just really happy with them. Highest recommendation.

Pros

Products are incredibly useful. Everything is geared to generating business for the license holders.

Cons

I wish an instruction manual of some sort came with the license. Something that could walk a new license holder through the entire backend of the site, so if they ever need to go back to something, the information is always right there for them.

June 2015

Bruce from Exterior Cleaning Contratcors

June 2015

Overall Good but Functionally Lacking

I rated overall low because after a year and a half we still don't have full functionality. Our issue is with the built in Payment gateway. Though my present state of our directory I should have realized would be an issue because when I bought the directory Dennis had to invoice me through "PayPal" as the payment gateway would not process any of my cards, not once but twice. When we first bought it was monthly, then I bought the life time and each time my payment would not process through the directory payment gateway. Only though PayPal was I able to make payment. I had a number of potential members complain about the same. We had to stop taking membership. I brought this issue up to BD and they said they were looking into it. Then in December 2014 they announced integration of WHMCS into the directory. Here it is June 25th, 2015 still no WHMCS integration. I joined or bought BD in December 2013. I have thousands of dollars invested and cannot count the number of man hours invested. Only to be held up by the inability to take PayPal payments for membership. Customer service keeps telling me they are working on it and will notify me when implemented. In all fairness I believe BD has great potential but functionally can be lacking because, I believe, they have made it to good, if there is such a thing. Given we cannot get into the back end it is hard to evaluate, my IT person said WHMCS integration shouldn't be that complicated given all the other functions within the directory itself. He said setting up a PayPal gateway shouldn't be that complicated but because we are limited to access to the back end of the directory our hands are tied. I have said this before. Looking good and being good is two different things! This customer has had about enough of being told it's coming. Six months now!

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied June 2015

Hi Bruce, Thank you for your message and your feedback. We always appreciate it. We are sorry for any frustration related to the payment processing aspect of the software. Because of great feedback like yours, our internal development team has dedicated July as "Payment Gateway Month" We know that not being able to connect your own gateway may have hindered your ability to grow even faster. We are going to spend the entire month of July completing the payment processing features of the software so that you and other partners can easily integrate your own payment processing provider. We want to make things right and thank you for sharing your experience here on Capterra. We will be sure to notify everyone with a company newsletter once the new payment processing features are working so that you may connect your own payment gateway to your directory. Thank you again and we wish you great success with your directory website. Thank you. Warm regards, Brilliant Directories

SK from Automotive Business Group, Inc.

NO SOURCE CODE

None. Waste of money.

Pros

Lots of features. Their salesmen are good at telling you all the things you want to hear. After your payment clears the bank, you learn the truth about the limitations.

Cons

Their claim to provide the source code is BS. Regardless of what they tell you, they limit access to the source code and you will spend a lot of money trying to customize the system. I believe they limit access, so they can sell you Customization Hours. The designs are way outdated and customizing is very limited. Look deeper at their examples. We fell for the initial purchase and then a follow up email for another license for super cheap, so before I could get into customizing their product, I owned two licenses (and still do, for sale by the way). On the surface, BD appears to be perfect. It is great as long as you don't need unlimited access to the code or REALLY need to customize it (not talking about changing colors). You decide.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied August 2017

Hi SK, Jason Haloossim here, founder at BD. Thanks for your feedback. It helps make things better for our entire community. I want you to know that we care, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. We want users to have great experiences - and we try to achieve this is by listening to your concerns. I'm very sorry you had a hard time editing source code it's one of the main things developers love about BD. You also have access to your MYSQL Database, FTP, and even cPanel. Beginners love the easy point-and-click settings and developers love the access to source code to make custom edits. Here is a link on our website that shows you how to edit source code: http://bit.ly/2vGvenc Here is a Press Release that explains how BD is built with developers in mind: http://bit.ly/2hCHHTE We want you to succeed with your website and try our best to eliminate obstacles. I'm really sorry you had this bad experience, but I want you to know that our team is here to support you.

Karen from Local Chamber Sites

surprised at how easy the setup took

Pros

Great designs. LOTS of features built in - very surprised at this. Any time I email in, there seems to be a setting or option for just about anything. The videos helped me starting out. It took about an hour to go through them but glad I did. The main reason I chose this was because of the lead selling capabilities. I'm selling leads to my members and this platform does that best.

Cons

In my first few days I had to email support a lot with questions. But they were quick to respond. The price is a little high but after working with two other platforms... you get what you pay for. There is enough value to justify the price now that I know how it works.

August 2015

Jotham from Jotham Online

August 2015

Robust Credibility Driven - Directory Business Software

When I conducted a "Service Needs Assessment" for my Niche Market Project, it became obvious that the Niche has a severe shortage of: 1. modern Cutting Edge Technological tools to drive (CRM) Customer Relationship Management strategies, 2. it also lack (CMS) this is Content Management Systems to inform customers and support customers 3. above all it lacked a well organized networking environment which is a critical success factor for business growth. Item 3 above is one of those factors any business cannot ignore, we all need to build a well organized network environment through which we can market, promote our products or services. To achieve this we also need credibility in the way we organize our network within and outside our Niche market to also attract new customers. That is how the Directory idea cropped into my decision min-map. I reviewed several directory software on the market including the WP directory plugin, but they all fell short of a well organized system of developing and setting up one's directory. Then this happened ........ I accidentally hit on the Brilliant Directories. I liked the step by step support they give when I began setting up my directory, and the fact that almost 90% of the directory was already set up before I even began customizing it. As if that was not enough I had a hand held process as I began customizing the directory all the way. That is why I believe Brilliant Directories were the best choice, you are never left alone in the cold to take care of the tricky config, plugins set up, theme customization, coding and all that mambo-jumbo tech stuff. That is why Brilliant Directories is not only the best choice I made but the best choice anyone can make, if Directory business success is what they need.

Ed from UTX, Inc.

We don't know in the first 24 hours

This survey is little premature. So far, I am impressed, but I just got my login information for our account.

Pros

I am hoping the features are what we like most. We are hoping they work as we expect. We are a design, development, Internet marketing and Internet presence management firm. We are looking forward to implementing this site for our client.

Cons

SEO! I asked a pre-sales question about this. They sent me a list of websites using Brilliant Directories. My SEO findings on these websites were not encouraging and I did not get a clear answer or explanation as to why they may rank the way they do. So I decided to try with this one website. I do not consider myself an SEO expert, but I am very good with understanding SEO and databases and keywords etc. [I was a former CFO and implemented many different accounting and business solutions. All solutions need a great [logical] data structure to be effective and usable. The search engines are just logical data structures.] In addition, I am hoping for integrations with Hubspot CRM, but have not had a chance to look at this yet. I am hopeful.

Tony from Tony Steuer/Ultimateinsurancelinks.com

December 2014

Very good, could be better

This is a very tough review as BD has a lot of tremendous positives going for it while at the same time there are some frustrating negatives. It's about a 90% thing. 1) Software itself - tremendous capability and functionality. Somewhat confusing and doesn't always work as laid out. A lot of the knowledge base is out dated and is for prior versions. If BD can fully deliver on all components, I would say it's amazing software. 2) Support & Coaching - Luana Villalobos who runs the Forum is outstanding and Patrick Brunelle does a great job along with Ernesto. The down side is they are very busy and there's no way to get instant access - chat, phone, etc. Sometimes as you're communicating through email or the forum it's frustrating if you have a follow up question and have to wait hours or a day for a second response. The coaching sessions are useful. And the support when you get it is great - they do fix everything. 3) Pricing - be careful - BD has a lot of deals and you have to really do your homework to get the best deal. 4) Sales- Dennis Tinerino does a great job of walking you through the software. Overall, really good software with a few bugs. Biggest need is some type of quicker support system. I'd recommend them as long as you're not in a rush.

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied December 2014

Tony, We do appreciate your honest feedback very much. Thank you. This helps us improve our overall service. Based on your review, we will take steps to better improve our support forums and knowledge base for easier navigation. We're glad to hear that everything else is working out great for you, and we look forward to a great long-standing relationship with you. Thank you again for your honest review. This constructive feedback helps everyone. To your success, Brilliant Directories

David from Trusted 411 Marketing

Too soon to tell...

You asked for my impressions within 24 hours of receiving my login, so I can't possibly provide a complete review, but I'm happy to answer your question of what inspired me to choose Brilliant Directories. #1 The sample directories look fantastic. #2 You convinced me it would be easier than WordPress. #3 Getting a coupon made it seem like a very good deal. #4 You returned my call on a weekend! As I look through the Admin pages it seems a bit overwhelming but I'm hoping there are enough teaching videos to take me step by step through the entire process. I learn best by examples, so please continue to add examples to your training and I can then pick the ones that relate to my project/approach. My goal, lofty as it may be, is to provide a tool that provides the hearing impaired with the opportunity to comparison shop and in the end make hearing aids, and assistive listening devices more accessible and more affordable. I believe Brilliant Directories is the right partner to make that happen.

Pros

Appearance, but otherwise too soon for a valid response.

Cons

too soon for a valid response

Response from Brilliant Directories

Replied March 2017

Hey David. Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We understand how helpful video tutorials can be so we will absolutely continue to make them. And for certain features that don't yet have video tutorials, we do of course have written documentation as well as our community forum to provide assistance. Thanks again!