What are CommunitySuite users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using CommunitySuite software through verified user reviews

• icon"Gift letters are sent out within days of money being received and recorded."
  • icon"And, the people who work for this company are top notch, down-to-earth, very wonderful people. You gotta love people who feature their dogs on their calendar."
  • icon"Ease of use, continued updates, and great customer service."
  • icon"Some of the task descriptions are a little confusing."
  • icon"My one complaint with the program is financial statements."
  • icon"There is nothing that I would identify as a negative with the system."

Browse all CommunitySuite Reviews

• Have you used CommunitySuite and would like to share your experience with others?

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

A unified system that delights both internal and external users

Overall, a great experience. The team at Foundant is very responsive and the software is easy to use.

Pros

Unified solution, clean & simple interface, the dev team is very open to suggestions and using IdeaLab, users can submit and vote on desired features/functionality. Tech support and service is phenomenal. Going from a non-unified system to a unified system has been like night and day. Being able to offer our Fund Advisors an online portal where they have 24x7 access in a clean site has been a long-awaited feature for us.

Cons

That we didn't have it implemented sooner. It has saved so much staff time.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review! This will be greatly beneficial to others who are exploring community foundation solutions .

Replied April 2019

Dori

Hello Foundant Goodbye FIMS

Our overall experience has been nothing but positive. The employees at CommunitySuite are smart problem solvers and with this software, we have been able to grow over 200%. Our efforts now go into donors and grantees instead of spreadsheets.

Pros

Foundant is very flexible. We have several users with different levels of computer knowledge all can navigate in Foundant. The training is great and the programmers are always looking to make the software more user-friendly. The time we save using this software allows us to spend more time in donor and community development.

Cons

There is not much that I don't like about Foundant. The only thing is new releases and it's really not a negative. It's just that so many good things get implemented that I don't always keep up.

Pricing, user-friendly, and support

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

FIMS had gone up in price and was very laborious.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Dori! We are happy to know that CommunitySuite training was helpful for you and the software allows you to engage more with donor and community development!

Hank

It's a frustrating system that is missing so much compared to other options.

Pros

It is cloud-based. Unlimited Users. The accounting system seems to work, though I am not an accountant so who knows.

Cons

Donation pages are not customizable or user-friendly. There is no way to track the source of donations (even though the description says donation tracking). If you want to track ROI on your website, ads or communications, you can't. There's no integration with ANY other software(other than Stripe). They do not verify users by email address, so you constantly have to be on top of duplicate accounts from donations. The ticketing system is barebones and difficult to set up. There's no custom reporting.

Aaron

Finally, A Modern Software Solution Catering Specifically to Community Foundation Needs!

We have what I would call "a beautiful relationship". Not only do we know our team at Foundant, we like them and enjoy hanging out with them. They are constantly seeking ways to improve their product and provide the best customer experience possible. They do that by seeking to better understand the way we function and anticipating industry trends. Additionally, they have made allowances for direct buy-in/investment from a number of community foundations, thus insuring that the company and the company's interests will remain true to community foundations for years to come. No other software provider in our field has taken that step so far as I am aware of.

Pros

There are three things I like most about this software: 1) It is designed specifically for use by community foundations - they get "it"! 2) The customer service. Second to none. Responsive. Knowledgeable. Experienced. Resourceful. Caring. Oh, and they are a heckuva a lot of fun, too! 3) Migration. Rarely is the term "easy" used in close quarters with discussions of transitioning from one core software package to another. However, the good folks at Foundant specialize in this process. In fact, it may be the only company out there that has customers who consistently use the term "flawless" when describing their data migration (at least from FIMS to C-Suite). Basically, Foundant has built itself upon the idea that community foundations are their niche market. Make that "only market". Community foundations (CF's) are their only customers. What's more, a large portion of their staff have past personal work experience either with CF's or with the former industry-specific software, FIMS, from which the majority of community foundations have or are in-process of migrating from.

Cons

There is no perfect solution (yet) for community foundations. While Foundant comes fairly close by providing a ready-made solution, it is not as customizable as our particular organization would prefer. While it appears to be able to handle all of our required needs, we will be employing a few work-arounds and changes to our processes to make it fit those needs. Ideally, a software solution would allow the client to change the program to suit its workflow. Not exactly so with C-Suite. That said, it is a HUGE improvement in terms of integration and report generation over FIMS. It also increases functionality at least 10 fold. Not looking to purchase an additional CRM solution (cough...Salesforce...Raisers Edge...cough)? C-Suite is still a huge upgrade over FIMS.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

Our pre-requisites included accommodation for all of our essential accounting functions. But, following that, customer service and price.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

FIMS no longer fits the growing needs of our community foundation. However, the customer service is virtually non-existent (thank you, Blackbaud). Additionally, our donor portal software provider is closing its doors mid-2020.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Aaron, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is so helpful for others looking to understand our company and for us to continue improving our processes. As always, please let us know if we can help in any other way.

Replied February 2020

Merrell

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Purpose-built, incredible, responsive customer service make this an easy decision to buy

We needed a fully integrated suite without trying to cobble together multiple packages like QuickBooks and Salesforce. I have worked in ERP/Financial software for over 20 years with Tier 1 firms (BaaN, Infor) as an implementation consultant. NONE of these firms can touch CommunitySuite for responsiveness, rapid development of new features, ease of use and support. I have direct links at the VP Product level and feel that the corporate culture is first-rate. Community Suite (and the GLM module we also license) are growing with us and we look to adding SLM as well. Cannot imagine how we would have handled hundreds of business, nonprofit and individual grants during COVID-19 without this product and their team.

Pros

CommunitySuite combines solid financials with good CRM/donor management and tightly integrated grant and scholarship management modules, if needed (extra cost). Extremely easy to implement and use. With excellent support from Customer Success Manager team, we were trained on key functionality and brought foundation from spreadsheets to state of the art systems in less than two months. That support has never waivered and after 2 years of use , they only keep getting better, with more features .

Cons

Donor management and integration with third party payers (Stripe) may not be quite as robust as a standalone boutique module, but it is steadily getting more robust. Newly enhanced custom reporting tools are also filling a gap that existed two years ago.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

Too complex, too costly. The team that ultimately selected CommunitySuite had first hand experience with Blackbaud in a large foundation and found it cumbersome and did not want to use it again.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for the review, Merrell! We are glad to see that our support has remained consistent over the past two years and that you have enjoyed working with us.

CSuite Makes Our Work Better

Since implementing CSuite my ability to do additional work has increased greatly. The time I spend doing my normal work routines has dropped by over 30%, freeing me up to work on other projects.

Pros

We really like how the modules integrate with each other.

Cons

The custom reporting still gives us some troubles mainly due to us not really using much of this feature. I'm certain as we learn more about it our ability to use the reporting will improve

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

Community Suite made the most sense for our Community Foundation's work flow. We also heard many good things from several existing users prior to selecting it.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

FIMS was outdated and cumbersome

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, John! We are happy to see that CommunitySuite has eased your workload so you can focus on other projects!

Gary

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Almost perfect database software for community foundations

Pros

Relative ease of use. Cloud-based. The software integrates a CRM and financial accounting databases into a cohesive platform. It also works seamlessly with Foundant's Grantmaking software, GLM and SLM.

Cons

The CRM is still not as robust as say something like SalesForce, but it is improving. Also, some system settings can be a little more robust.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

needed move to a more modern cloud-based financial and CRM database platform.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Gary, thank you for taking the time to review CommunitySuite!

Amy

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

CommunitySuite took us to a new level!

Professional.

Pros

CommunitySuite has allowed our little non-profit to dominate our Donor Management process! We have donor information, gifts, pledges at our fingertips and can talk and provide statistics in real time with accurate, documented information. Gift letters are sent out within days of money being received and recorded. So much time saved!

Cons

CommunitySuite is not specifically for Non-Profits but it fit for our Donor requirements better than any other software. As the majority of non-profits do not use fund accounting, there are some fields that could be adjusted where right now they have to be filled in. But guess what? Foundant listened and is now working on a non-profit version!

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

Donor profile process - allows an organization to grow into other software elements without an increase in cost because it is an entire software package (example accounts payable). On-Boarding timing took into consideration the organizations skill level and was priced and timed accordingly.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for the review, Amy! We are happy to see that ComunitySuite has allowed your nonprofit to excel within the donor management process.

Courtney

February 2022

Community Suite Lite for the Win!

Overall it has been a great experience and we are very satisfied. There is not another vendor on the market right now that we could consider!

Pros

This software is intuitive. I came into my role with zero training. Our foundation was in the process of switching from FIMS to Foundant. I am so grateful they decided to make this change. I had to do very little work in FIMS before we were up in running in Foundant. With no one to help me, FIMS was so hard to navigate and understand. I immediately felt comfortable in Foundant and through their available online trainings easily taught myself the program.

Cons

My one complaint with the program is financial statements. They are great within the software, but when it comes to preparing reports for donors or board meetings I have not found a style I like. I have made my own in Excel for the time being. It's not that they do not have the capability to do reports; it's the look of them that I do not like.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Courtney! We are happy to know that the CommunitySuite training videos were helpful for you!

Jean

Worth the switch!

Our overall experience has been extremely positive and I would not hesitate to recommend the software.

Pros

The best part of this software is it replaced the need for us to triple enter data! I also have to say the team that assisted us with migration and training were fantastic!! As well, the support they offer after implementation and their online help database has made this move so worth the hard work we had to put in to get where we are today.

Cons

The implementation and training process I found very challenging and there were days I thought I would never get it. However, their constant support and the extra training we arranged for to make sure we had the processes down right, made it all worth it in the end.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

We made the switch because from the very beginning Income Manager did not get the job done and the support and training was extremely bad.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Jean! We are happy to know that the CommunitySuite software has made it easier for you to enter data and our online database has been a helpful tool.

Bill

Community Suite Software

Overall, our transition to Community Suite created informational transparency in the organization resulting in increased efficiency.

Pros

The product is intuitive and comprehensive. My entire organization can use the same platform for grantmaking, accounting and customer relationship management. The accounting software allows for easy reporting and analysis. What I truly like best, and what separates Community Suite from other software products I have used, is the Customer Service. Their team walked us through implementation and provides both technical and real world help in a timely manner. And, Community Suite is constantly working on upgrades, some suggested by users, that make it a real world tool for success.

Cons

An area for improvement, which is being mitigated by Community Suite's communication that changes are in process, would be in traditional financial reporting i.e., having a financial report that looks like financial statements. Such reports can be made currently but they lose some of the functionality that makes Community Suite so powerful. To be clear, all the information is available but I find myself using Excel more than I would like. I expect that these concerns to be addressed in the next few quarters.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

I was not involved in the decision but I am told that the prior product was dated with decreasing customer support.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review of ComunitySuite Bill! We are happy to see that your entire organization can use the same platform for grantmaking, accounting, and customer relationship management. We're also glad to see you're happy with Foundant's constant upgrades!

Alicia

CommunitySuite is a lifesaver

Before migrating to CommunitySuite, my organization had to use two separate solutions - a fund accounting software and a CRM software - and staff had to duplicate work to get data out of and in to each system. The fund accounting software was antiquated and not user friendly, and the CRM software was great for donor management but terrible for accounting. Plus, the customer service was impersonal and not always helpful. CommunitySuite brings it all together in one package, which has streamlined our operations and allowed staff to spend more time on more productive tasks and projects. And, we feel like we personally know the folks at Foundant and can rely on them anytime for anything. We are planning to eventually purchase two other solutions that Foundant Technologies offers to have complete integration of our operations.

Pros

Fund accounting is unique even by accounting standards. Using other solutions that weren't made to do what we needed them to in order to cobble together our operations was a nightmare. CommunitySuite brings it all together in one easy-to-use solution that is constantly being improved - and they take customer feedback to heart when making improvements. Additionally, the personalized training and the absolutely stellar customer service Foundant Technologies provides, coupled with the opportunities to meet and work with their team one-on-one, makes purchasing CommunitySuite a no-brainer!

Cons

CommunitySuite is great for fund accounting, but it's lacking a little on the CRM side. It works, but not as well as some other solutions (but those solutions don't have the robust fund accounting capabilities, which was the priority for my organization). However, Foundant Technologies is constantly working to make improvements on the CRM side, and I am confident that it will only get better and better!

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

It was pretty clear early on that no other solution could provide what CommunitySuite does, so to us there really was no choice!

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

FIMS was completely antiquated and not user-friendly (and was about to cease being supported), and Raiser's Edge could not provide us with the accounting solution we needed. And using two systems was inefficient and ineffective!

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review of CommunitySuite Alicia! We're glad you've enjoyed our solution and that you're happy with our continuous improvements.

Tami

Instant Friends

CS has a robust reports feature that has helped make my job as director much easier.

Pros

The product is amazing and the company is always open to ideas that could make it even better. I was seriously impressed with the training process. BEFORE we could begin to implement, we HAD to go through a series of training modules that introduced all facets of the software. What a great way to make sure that we were aware of everything available on our new purchase. So many times, I've worked with software that may have had capabilities that we were unaware of. Not so with Foundant's products. You do your homework before you implement so you KNOW what it can do. Great way to get all of us on the same page! And, the people who work for this company are top notch, down-to-earth, very wonderful people. You gotta love people who feature their dogs on their calendar!

Cons

I truly don't have anything that I view negatively with the software.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

I had my entire office look at it once we narrowed it down. It exceeded our expectations once we started really digging into its capabilities. It was cloud-based, it was intuitive, the support staff seemed so eager to help.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

Pearl was an extremely glitchy Access-based software that was difficult to use, was not user friendly. It was difficult to correct mistakes and creating reports required help from a Help Desk.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Tami! We are happy to know that you enjoyed the Grant Lifecycle Manager onboarding process and that you've enjoyed working with us!

Debbie

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

CommunitySuite provides platform to grow our foundation

CommunitySuite allowed our Community Foundation to fully automate our operations relatively early in our growth as a Community Foundation with very limited resources. It set the stage for the rapid growth that we've experienced and was definitely worth the investment.

Pros

CommunitySuite provides an integrated platform to run our Community Foundation at a price that is affordable for even a very small Community Foundation. The support and training provided through the implementation process made it possible to implement the software with very limited staff. Once implemented, the simplified fund accounting process made it possible to offer more options to our donors, including the introduction of non-endowed funds and multiple investment portfolios. These increased options have helped us to more than double the size of our foundation in less than two years. We could not have accomplished what we have without CommunitySuite.

Cons

The campaign process is my least favorite part of the software. While it is nice to have an integrated system to manage events, mailing lists, etc., those who are accustomed to using dedicated event management systems may find the features somewhat limited. It works fine, just without a lot of bells and whistles. Since we generally don't need bells and whistles, and we appreciate the integrated aspects of campaigns, we happily use the features provided. It is simply an area that has room for improvement.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about CommunitySuite, Debbie! We appreciate your feedback and thorough review that will help other community foundations researching solutions to support their organization.

Replied March 2019

Kol

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

CommunitySuite is built specifically for community foundations; nothing is as good for CFs

Pros

It is built specifically for community foundation accounting. It has made our financial accounting so much more efficient. It more than pays for itself in terms of saved staff time. Having it seamlessly connected to our grantmaking system and scholarship system is an important added bonus. We love CSuite.

Cons

The donor database portion of the system could be better. It is workable. It's not bad. But it is not as good as dedicated donor databases. It would also be nice if the system included a user-friendly way to track the opening of new funds, starting from a donor showing interest and going all the way to executing the fund agreement and sending a welcome packet.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

We made the switch because of the benefits of CSuite that I've already mentioned. I think CSuite is also cheaper than the other options.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Kol! We are happy to know that CommunitySuite has helped make your financial accounting more efficient!

Jodi

Wonderful product

The more I use it, the more I love it! Do I get frustrated...sure, but the support staff always comes through and works me through it!

Pros

The sandbox (practice site) has been extremely helpful to me. I am an office of 1 with the most knowledgeable user resigning without notice. Foundant/Community Suite support was the best getting me through the end of the year! Their support is the best they are patient and kind and they explain items thoroughly. The product is easy to maneuver and understand.

Cons

They are improving all the time from ideas that the we, the users submit through the idea lab.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

Growth of the Foundation.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Jodi! We're glad to hear that you have enjoyed CommunitySuite and that our sandbox site has been helpful to you!

CommunitySuite Perfect for Community Foundations

A+

Pros

Everything. My entire staff likes it. Our auditor said CommunitySuite is the only software product liked by the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], Accounting Department, and staff. Our conversion was easy. Shut down on Friday afternoon and up and running on Monday morning at 8 am. Lots of hand holding during the preparation. Customer service is really good. Software is intuitive.

Cons

What I like least? Small stuff that is on the list to be improved.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

It was the best option. Love the Donor Portal.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

If you know FIMS, you know why we switched.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Jennifer, thank you for your review of CommunitySuite! We are happy to hear that your staff is enjoying the system.

Haleigh

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Moved forward with this change and have never looked back!

We have been very happy with CommunitySuite from the training, continued communication and update trainings offered, and the added functionalities.

Pros

Ease of use is my favorite part about this software. This encourages staff as a whole to use Foundant to see what is going on, make better decisions and has also allowed us to engage donors more.

Cons

I wish the build-from-scratch reports were a little cleaner and easier to use.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

The entire staff could use CS, we were not happy with customer service and FIMS was just not user friendly.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Haleigh! We are happy to know that CommunitySuite has helped your organization to better engage your donors!

Vonda

Foundant Review

All Foundant employees have been great to work with throughout the software review process, demos, implementation, and follow up. Enough cannot be said about how great the support team is when responding to questions. When something is strange, they move it up the chain ASAP to keep us functioning on our end.

Pros

It is very intuitive and easy to learn and use.

Cons

There are some features from FIMS that I miss but the positives outweigh those features.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

We wanted, if possible, to have all of our software products under the same platform.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

We were already using GLM and SLM and wanted to bring our accounting software to Foundant.

Rebecca

I recommend Community Suite

I've had a positive experience with Community Suite.

Pros

I appreciate Community Suite's many useful features and excellent customer support.

Cons

The features can be overwhelming, especially at first, and take a while to get used to. Now that I'm familiar with it, though, I highly recommend it.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

FIMS was very hard to use and lacked good customer support.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Rebecca! We are happy to know that you are enjoying the features in CommunitySuite and our customer support has been helpful for you.

Lisa

Great All-in-One Software for Community Foundations

Our organization could not be happier with CommunitySuite. The customer service is so easy to contact and they are quick to respond to questions and it has made office processes much more efficient!

Pros

We switched from FIMS to CommunitySuite and it is such a major upgrade! It works in any web browser, you can have multiple tabs open at once, everything is very use friendly, and reporting is a breeze!

Cons

Implementation did take a lot of time commitment, but that is to be expected when switching to a new CRM system (and the staff is with you every step of the way!). Some of the profile and household management is a little hard to navigate, but it just takes a few extra steps to get things set the way you want.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

CommunitySuite was cheaper and had more features that we needed than Akoyago.

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

It was outdated and not user friendly at all.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review, Lisa! We're happy to see that our software has been user-friendly for your organization.

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Very Pleased with product and support

We were looking for an end-to-end solution for our foundation and CommunitySuite met and/or exceeded all of our expectations.

Pros

For us, CommunitySuite addressed all of our needs as a community foundation and the customer support has been wonderful throughout the process.

Cons

There is nothing that I would identify as a negative with the system.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

CommunitySuite is a cloud-based, integrated solution at a competitive price.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you for your review of CommunitySuite Michael! We love to hear that you are receiving "wonderful" customer service.

Marcus

Outstanding Software Solution

Great experience from the beginning and have made many personal connections with many of your employees.

Pros

Ease of use, continued updates, and great customer service.

Cons

Due to business growth on your end and staff changes on our end there have been a few times that has caused some stresses but everyone continues to be helpful.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Thank you Marcus, for taking the time to provide your review and feedback!

Replied March 2019

Jackie

February 2022

Accountant Review: New to the system & loving it!

Pros

That is is comprehensive and has fund accounting built in. I also like that there are many ways to customize the software for your specific processes.

Cons

The migration was a bit tough due to many of our existing accounts being merged / replaced with defaults during the Fund Balance Import step. Made for some tricky accounting from one system to another with new beginning balances. There are also many steps for approvals to write vendor checks or grants, however, I believe I may be able to disable the various levels of approvals once I know the system better.

Reasons for choosing CommunitySuite

The CRM functionality and fund accounting functionality in the same system. You can tell it was developed by and for Community Foundations/non profits.

Eliese

Industry: Philanthropy

Community Suite is an amazing solution

Our reporting, which is vital for an organization like ours, is so much easier. Training was spectacular. They CSM folks continue to be super helpful.

Pros

This software consolidates everything a foundation needs to function fully and efficiently. Our staff is thrilled with it.

Cons

Some of the task descriptions are a little confusing. But otherwise, it's been easy to navigate through and to search for things. Creating merge templates for automated tasks has been challenging.

More robust financial integration

Reasons for switching to CommunitySuite

FIMS had a high cost with much less functionality.

Response from Foundant Technologies

Eliese, thank you for taking to time to give CommunitySuite a review! This helps other community foundations find the right solution. Thanks!

Replied April 2020