Neon CRM Reviews

4.4 / 5 (461) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 76 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "Great event and email integration allows an easily manageable database."

• "Easy to use and more affordable than other similar products."

• "I like that it will keep my office organized and allows us to integrate other platforms that we use, seamlessly."

• Cons

• "Householding support with regards to donations roll-up is very poor."

Browse Neon CRM Reviews

January 2014

Jeff from Servant Warrior® Ministries

January 2014

Z2 System's NeonCRM - "Yes, it's right for you and your organization."

Almost 4 years ago, when I considered which contact/donor relations management software platforms I was going to use for the ministry, here are a few of the things I was looking for: 1. Expandability (Will the system grow with us as we need it to without paying for what we don't need?) 2. e-Commerce - Are the e-commerce functions user friendly? Are they secure? Does it have integrated merchant service capabilities and can it seamlessly integrate with the database/account management capabilities? 3. Can I easily segregate, query, and manage contacts/donors? Can I track all of our touches with our contacts/donors and view them in one place/interface? 4. Do the front-end functionality components make it easy for our contacts/supporters/donors/etc. to communicate and do business with us? 5. Can we easily integrate our CRM communication/outreach/events/etc. into our existing website, social media, and vice versa? I was pumped when I got a "Yes" answer to all of the questions above from the team at Z2 Systems about the NeonCRM. I have extensive experience with some of the larger CRM providers and their products. I can say that without a doubt, the NeonCRM system is as functional, robust, expandable, and overall as capable, right out of the box, as systems costing 10 to 20 times as much. Clients are not hit with additional charges for modules that should already be included in the overall package. With regards to customer service and the company's employees and management actually listening to the customer and making adjustments to the system in order to meet the needs of the customer, Z2 Systems blows everyone else away. Coupled with its available seamless and cost-effective merchant services account integration partners, NeonCRM is a great option for any size organization and budget.

Daniel from Brushfires Foundation

Pretty good product, does most of what I need

I've been mostly happy with the product. My disappointment, thankfully, have been very minor, and I can happily recommend this for anyone needing the advancved options that i did.

Pros

I chose Neon CRM because it was the most comprehensive CRM solution that I encountered that did not also cost a fortune. I have very specific needs beyond basic donor management. I also needed event management and member management components. Almost no other products had all of these capabilities built in.

Cons

I haven't used some of the features because they aren't as good as what i am currently using, especially for social media, email newsletter, and donor letters. The software offers a LOT of features, which is not a downside, but it also takes some time to find out how everything works. Neon provides a lot of tutorials, however, which are usually spot on.

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

Greater functionality was built in to NEON CRM and I didn't want to parcel out the functionality among several different products.

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

My previous product did not have the capabilities I needed for an expanding mission.

Response from Neon One

Replied March 2021

Daniel, we hear you! Thank you for the honest review and feedback. We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our webinar: https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Bridgit from United 4 Children

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for a variety of data

Overall, this is a pretty robust software considering the price. I would recommend it to Non-profits on a tight budget just be prepared for some getting acquainted time.

Pros

All our data can be stored and pulled from one place. Event's are seamlessly connected to our website and make for an easy registration process. I like the idea of batch uploading because data entry can be time consuming but this hasn't been as successful as I'd hope yet. Still need to learn more.

Cons

It isn't as user friendly as some of the other softwares. We have to adapt it internally to meet our needs. I was not at the company when we purchased this software so not sure of the onboarding process. It has been hard to bring new employees on to learn the system.

Response from Neon One

Replied April 2021

Hi Bridgit! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Neon CRM. Training new team members to learn a CRM system can be difficult. That's why we've put together videos, guides, and a full Academy course, to take that training work off of your hands. You can access those materials here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/. If you ever need some extra help, feel free to reach out to our support team. Thank you for being a Neon CRM client!

April 2015

Holly from Happy Trails

April 2015

Good program, but reporting is less intuitive than I'd like.

Pros

The software has a lot of really useful features, like email blasts and the reports are really customizable.

Cons

The software isn't terribly intuitive, especially with reporting, and the training videos on YouTube are hours long. I also could not find the answers I needed in the help section when trying to customize reports. I learned more from the user forums than the actual help feature of the software.

Response from NeonCRM

Replied May 2015

Thanks so much for your review of NeonCRM, Holly! We are absolutely thrilled to be part of Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary's mission in helping animals be rescued, rehabilitated, and/or adopted. We did want to take this opportunity to respond to your review personally and alongside Leigh's which is featured immediately below. :) In the age of simple apps on our phones and an increasing awareness of user-friendliness with complex technology, we are 1000% committed to making the user experience of NeonCRM as simple as possible for users of all strengths and experiences. As an "expert-user" database that does so many complicated things, we are constantly challenged with keeping things simple while also continuing to provide the deepest, most extensive CRM built specifically for nonprofits. We now have a dedicated, in-house team focused purely on this challenge and you will continue to see NeonCRM evolve with new feature releases and enhancements every month! We welcome your continued input within our community forum as we consider new and great feature suggestions to implement. We also appreciate your comments on the training videos as well. You and other clients were right: they were too long. And, in our continued efforts to improve every client's implementation of NeonCRM, we have just revamped our training curriculum and have updated all of our training videos on our YouTube channel. We have trimmed a lot, provided time-marking slides, provided agendas with companion guides, and more. The main difference is our trainings have taken a new, "task-based" approach now which we hope you will find useful, including with respect to your comments concerning Neon's deep reporting functionality. Please visit these training resources directly within your Neon system or here: https://z2.zendesk.com/entries/21682010-Training-Videos Lastly, we are overjoyed that you were able to find our community forums so useful! We truly love our Neon expert clients who take time to participate and share their wealth of knowledge in the forums. Sometimes it is more useful to get advice from peer-level organizations who might be using a particular facet of Neon the same way as your organization. We encourage you to continue using a combination of our training resources, guides, and community forums to make Neon work best in helping Happy Trails keep the animals neighing, mooing, clucking, gobbling, baaa'ing, maa'ing, and squealing in joy. Our staff is full of animal lovers and we have many-a-pets that have been rescued from shelters by our staff, along with NeonCRM serving many similar shelters and organizations that help all of our furry creatures in need. Thanks again! -Your NeonCRM Team

Lauren from Army and Navy Academy

Great Donor Management Software

Overall we are very happy to NeonCRM. My one and only concern is the customer support and account management seems to be lacking a bit. I get emails often regarding "changes" to our account that in face do not affect us because we are currently on a contract with NEON. With staff overturn you never know who your account manager is (I have worked with 5 account managers in a matter of 2 years. The software is great and we will continue to use it as we find that it is very helpful for what we are doing.

Pros

Coming from Blackbuad and Raiser's Edge, it was really important to find a software that was user friendly and easy to learn. NeonCRM is that software. You don't need a ton of training to navigate around the system and find what you are looking for.

Cons

Our hope was this software would be able to take the place of many of our others and put things in one place. Although it was able to do that for a majority we still hope to see an auction component to NeonCRM. This was one of the items that was discussed when we were looking at software and our rep mentioned Neon was working at an integration for this in the future and still waiting for it.

Pricing and Payment Portal

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

Because of how difficult Raiser's Edge is to use.

Response from Neon One

Replied February 2021

Hi Lauren! Thank you for your open and honest feedback. Regarding the auction component, we do have a certified integration with ClickBid. You can learn more about that integration here: https://neonone.com/partners/clickbid/.

Erin from AFA/WSSC

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Quite happy with Neon

I've had good support if and when I've needed it. The set up person was great. Like any platform, you learn it and get used to it and it's very helpful.

Pros

This software manages my contacts and communication just as I would expect it to. It's customizable for our needs, as well.

Cons

There are two frustrating things. First, when I want to send a mass email, I've been told that images (flyers) don't send well and it's true. That is virtually the only thing we send out so that does not make me happy. In other words, we had to keep our Constant Contact account. Secondly, searching by city should be MUCH easier. I've been taught two ways to do it but it entails way too many steps.

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

It is focused on non-profits and that's what we are.

Response from Neon One

Replied March 2021

Erin, we hear you! We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our webinar: https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Princess from Young Black Leadership Alliance

Make Your Job Easier!!

So far, I have enjoyed the widgets and being able to see or not see what I am most concerned with at the time.

Pros

Neon provides the "one stop shop"! You have the back-end and the front-end operations working together. We went from using two different donor managements systems to using one to make sure that we can track all data. I also love the auto thank you's with the amount of the gift. Helps donors keep track for the year.

Cons

Neon is how can we say "plain", strictly business. There is to fancy eye catching fonts or highlighted buttons. Sometimes you can get lost and have to go to read up on some support documents in order to find what you are looking for.

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

We made the switch because for the amount of money being spent on two donor systems, we could spend in with one system to track all data.

Response from Neon One

Replied March 2021

Hi Princess! Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. We take your feedback very seriously. We are bringing your feedback about in-product "highlighted buttons" and "eye-catching fonts" to our team.

Greg from BeautyCouncil Western Canada

Industry: Cosmetics

It's OK - needs to be modernized

Pros

Neon has some powerful, fast database capabilities. We find it quick to respond when looking for records, generating reports, or soring data. It's also very capable at handling duplicate records and the searching is very good. It's also stable - seems to be built on a solid foundation and performs well.

Cons

Much of Neon seems to be cobbled together from older generations of development. There is a lack of consistency in the admin interfaces, and I find myself lost trying to do the simplest thing (like updating a system email) ... and I took a year of computer science as an undergrad. The emails are not responsive for mobile, and the custom web pages are nearly impossible to present to our members because they simply don't match our brand at all. The event lack any sort of presentation in a calendar view. Neon updates their platform each month, however, IMHO, they're focussing on the wrong thing. I would expect the development team there to streamline the admin interface, make the basic tools like emails, events, and member sign up pages more modern and mobile-ready. I find myself wanting to head over to a WordPress solution to consolidate everything, but we've invested time and money into this already so we're going to ride it out for a while. If you go with Neon, I suggest you budget time (and money) for tech support and have someone on staff or on call who can wrangle the harder parts of the admin interface for you.

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

Price and capacity of membership data management.

Sarah from Kinship United

Neon is unmatchable

It is a core component of our business at this point, which we use daily. It stores so much information and organizes it in an extremely accessible manner. The various functionalities are used by our non-profit organization every single day. It seems like every aspect is useful and functional. As an organization, we have been able to eliminate other competing premium softwares and instead use Neon.

Pros

The user interface is extremely intuitive and easy to learn. It's truly an all in one software that can do so much. It's integration with various other apps is seamless. We have so much data, and Neon can handle it all, and make it easy to understand, access, and analyze. Neon is honestly an essential must-have for any organization.

Cons

I think the campaign email marketing part can be somewhat confusing. The components seem too separate, it needs to be more cohesive in one big step-by-step process instead of going back and forth between the tab's sub-categories. It works perfectly, I just think the process to sending emails can be a little more streamlined.

Response from Neon One

Replied March 2021

Thank you for your honest and comprehensive review of Neon CRM, Sarah! We know that email has been a pain point in the past, which is why we are uncovering some major updates on April 10, 2021. If you want to find out more about the updates to our email functionality, you can tune in to our upcoming webinar (or watch the recording afterward): https://neonone.com/resources/event/product-webinar-neon-crms-new-email-tools/

Clarate from Heart of America Shakespeare Festival

Industry: Performing Arts

Neon CRM is Great for our Mid-Level Nonprofit!

Overall our experience has been positive, and we would recommend Neon! It's a great way to organize our events and ticket sales, as well as track income from those same constituents and more. The volunteer projects and timesheets are seamless, so it's easy to tell how many volunteers have worked with the organization during the year and how many hours they've put in.

Pros

Neon has been great for our organization. It's easy to navigate and pull reports to track donations, memberships, event registrations, etc. This year we used ClickBid to organize our virtual fundraising gala and auction. The integration process between that and Neon was seamless.

Cons

There isn't a great way to set up monthly payments for annual membership plans. The grants module could be more helpful if there was a bit more automation. We don't use that function much as we've found it easier to stick to our own spreadsheets and calendars.

Response from Neon One

Replied February 2021

Hi Clarate! We are so happy to hear that Neon CRM helped you organize your events and ticket sales, as well as track income from those same constituents and more. We appreciate your honest feedback and will bring your voiced concerns back to our team, so we can continue to improve our products and support our clients.

Cindy from Lung Cancer Foundation Of America

Neon CRM: Robust and easy to use

Since we've been using Neon CRM, our overall fundraising has increased dramatically. At the end of the day, that is the name of the game for nonprofits, so it's really important. And, being able to see at a glance how we're doing in new donors, reactivated donors, etc. from the dashboards is very helpful.

Pros

Neon CRM replaced ETapestry for Lung Cancer Foundation of America. The ease of use in all aspects - donation tracking, fundraising campaign setup and monitoring, reporting, etc. are so much appreciated after working for so long without that ease. So, this makes our everyday tasks go much faster and we've been able to utilize the peer to peer and campaign features to be able to bring on new donors and track specific donation campaigns very easily. But, probably the very best feature is the training. Whenever we come up with some wacky question on "how can we do..." we set up a training session and they've always got a path to help us do whatever new thing we're trying.

Cons

I would like to have all database fields available no matter which type of report I'm trying to pull. Not sure if that is feasible or even advisable, but, sometimes I need info from a field that is available on a different report, but not on the type of report I need at that time.

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

After very careful evaluation and all stake holders scoring each candidate, NeonCRM was the best option for the type of nonprofit LCFA is.

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

eTapestry just wasn't a good, robust CRM. Not designed for nonprofits like ours.

Response from Neon One

Replied February 2021

Thank you for the review, Cindy! It is always our topmost priority for our products to increase overall fundraising for our clients, so we are beyond thrilled to hear you were able to do just that! We will also bring your feedback regarding database fields back to our support and product teams. Thank you!

Karen from Eno Center for Transportation

Great System to Grow With

I have actually used Neon CRM in two very different nonprofits. One was previously using eTapestry and we switched because of the greater flexibility offered by Neon. That organization received much of its funding from individuals and was focused on one main program. The second was a transportation think tank that had no previous CRM system and received much of its funding through memberships. In both cases, I have found the system to work well and meet the needs of two very different organizations.

Pros

The interface is easy to use, very similar to comparable CRM systems in terms of flexibility and customization, but built for fundraising. The customization, in particular, is easy to understand and flexible enough to work for a variety of applications in a variety of nonprofits. I like the automation features as well, such as with donation appreciation and membership renewal reminders.

Cons

The single log on functionality and link with Wordpress needs to be further developed, I think. Sometimes the integrations with other systems, like MailChimp, are not as robust as I would like.

Response from Neon Team

Replied December 2017

Hi Karen, Thank you for your review. We always love hearing how NeonCRM's versatility can help vastly different nonprofits! We are also glad to hear you are using the Wordpress single sign on plugin. We appreciate your feedback. We will be making improvements and enhancements to it regularly. Over the next year you can expect deeper enhancements to our existing integrations and many more great new integration offerings to come. For example, last month we announced we are officially part of Zapier’s beta testing program. Zapier is essentially a system that connects systems, so this really opens up opportunities to connect Neon with many other platforms. Our blog post about it is below: https://www.neoncrm.com/zapier-streamline-nonprofits-operations/ Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions about it! -Your Neon Team

T. Kebo from Queer Women of Color Media Arts Project - QWOCMAP

February 2016

NeonCRM is just what we needed.

Pros

From the beginning, their customer service was outstanding. In our research phase to find a new CRM vendor, we contacted at least 1 dozen different companies. We provided the sales people with an extensive list that outlined the data that we collect, as well as our database needs. Some companies looked at the list and upfront said that they couldn't provide what we needed. Others never bothered to contact us at all. Most sad, the fundraising software/donation processing company that we've been with for more than a decade never contacted us to let us know about their new services, they only increased our annual fees and decreased functionality. So NeonCRM emerged as one of our top choices very early on. Best yet, in talking to their sales person, and now our account manager, as well as their data consultants, they work with us to discuss and figure out solutions. For example, for many years we have used our database as a way to check of tasks in the data collection process. NeonCRM helped us to figure out if we needed a combination of data points or a process document to ensure that all of our users entered consistent information. That kind of collaboration and solution-based thinking has been immensely helpful. More so, given that we have planned for our data migration to happen over 2 years, with specific benchmarks. It feels like NeonCRM will be there with us all the way. One of our Board members is an engineer, and the way that NeonCRM does consultation allowed us to invite our Board member and our web site builder and designer into the meetings. That way we could all learn and develop solutions at the same time. Best yet, we've been able to work with NeonCRM staff, from sales to data consultants, who actually understood arts nonprofits, so they understand what to do with our earned income. Other companies were best for health or educational nonprofits, or advocacy & policy nonprofits, or some other kind of nonprofit. To have a team that understands the work that we do, the size of our organizations, the ways that our events function, and is willing to work with us to meet our needs (instead of trying to cram us into their system), made all the difference.

Cons

There are bits of functionality that other companies have that we would like. Such as the ability to tweet or make facebook posts, and track that information, from within the CRM, something that Nation Builder does really well. We would also like to be able to integrate silent and online auctions into fundraising efforts, but this is not something that can be done just yet. Finally, we would like to have our ecommerce products tied to their makers, something that NeonCRM can't do. However, they provided us with an API integration solution that will work in the meantime.

September 2014

Sheri from Empower Tanzania, Inc

September 2014

Neon, an elegant solution

Pros

I have had my NeonCRM system now for about four months, and what I love the most about it is probably its elegance. It's like the designers sat in my office, watched me work, and then designed a system that would not only take care of the many things I need when working with our donors, but also thought of a whole lot more! The system is very comprehensive, and while it is quite large and will take many more months to completely master, it is consistent. This consistency throughout makes it relatively easy to learn to work, even in the beginning.

Cons

The thing I have found the most frustrating is that I run a Mac, and this system is more compatible with PC. For instance, I could not run the tutorials on my Mac, so I had to haul out an old PC laptop for my training webinars. It worked out okay, as I could be working on the Mac in the program while watching the tutorial on the PC, but we Mac users get frustrated with these situations. Later, I learned that the internal mail merger program would not work on anything but Internet Explorer, which is unfortunately no longer available for Mac. It would have been nice if we could have at least had Firefox or Chrome, both very commonly used browsers, as an option. This is not a deal breaker for me, but for the price and quality of the system, I would have liked more compatibility.

Response from NeonCRM

Replied September 2014

Sheri, we really appreciate the kind words and positive review, but also thank you for the constructive feedback to make our processes better. We've heard you and other Mac users loud and clear in regards to accessing the recorded trainings. Where NeonCRM obviously works just fine on PCs and Macs, the webinar provider we work with only renders our recordings in a PC-compatible format. Due to this limitation of our webinar partner, we have made the decision to stream all NeonCRM trainings on YouTube to ensure Mac users and all NeonCRM users have easy access to all training sessions. We'll be having your account manager reach out directly to you to provide this resource directly and these can be accessed with a simple search on YouTube. In regards to the Microsoft Word mail merge functionality you brought up, that direct push from NeonCRM to Microsoft Word is actually something that is dictated by Microsoft, not us, since they want people to be using Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, Chrome, Firefox, and all other browsers are unable to receive a direct push from any system directly into Microsoft Word. We are looking to see if there's a way around it and will of course let you know. Of course, you can always use the built-in NeonCRM mail merge templates or export to Excel/csv to perform the mail merge externally as well. So there are options! Again, thank you for the amazing feedback and look forward to growing with you for years to come. -Your NeonCRM Team

November 2013

Kate from NCCJ of Greater Dayton - duplicate content found

November 2013

If your experience is anything like mine was, you are currently struggling with outdated software. You are having to maintain multiple databases manually in order to do all the things that are standard operating procedures in these fast-paced days, and you are working on a shoestring budget with a great but stretched staff. For me, this is where Neon came in to help us. Is it perfect. No. Of course not. Unless you have a zillion dollars to house your own tech department you are unlikely to find absolute perfection. Is Neon, in my opinion, the closest thing to perfect for a non-profit organization? Yes! Why do I think that? 1) Technology upgrades every 18 months (at the longest) which is almost impossible for a non-profit to keep up with while remaining competitive within today's business world. Neon is an ever-evolving system that shares functionality with all Neon clients; your membership database is always up-to-date with new innovations appearing and available to be customized to meet your needs for reasonable pricing (unlike other systems that, in my experience, started customization at around $25,000 a piece). 2) When hosting our own CRM on-site, we were responsible for maintaining our server; with an aging server and without a hardware specialist on staff, our data was always at risk, even though it was backed up. With Neon, our system is now a cloud-based system, leaving the hardware support to the experts at Neon. This was not only a worry off our backs but also a fiscal savings. 3) In order to keep up to date, we were maintaining multiple databases. We had our member database, our event database, our website member-only database, and our email database. This doesn't include the QuickBooks upkeep and our area membership lists that had to be maintained and exported separately on a monthly basis. Needless to say, this ate up a lot of time and was susceptible to human error. With Neon, everything was in one place (Please note we chose to use Neon's email because another service would mean we once again would have to import/export data and not have the tracking material on the records where we wanted them). This was a huge benefit. Having everything available in one place freed up our staff to work on other projects and spend time on long-term strategic planning as opposed to just working in the moment. 4) With our old system, we were the experts. We were all alone. If we wanted customer service, the vendor could sort of help but the service teams wouldn't take time to understand the way we were using the system and could only provide generic answers. With Neon, we have experts at the end of a chat or a phone call (depending on your needs and service package) who can log into your system, see what you are seeing, and team with you to find an answer to your issues. 5) With our old system, our volunteers and members had limited abilities and options available to them. With Neon, our volunteers and members have a greater level of interaction with their own records, as well as with each other. So with all that said, my overall advice is get Neon. But when you do jump in also be realistic and patient with both Neon and your staff. Remember change is always hard. Expect that the transfer of data will be stressful. Expect that the first six months will include hiccups. Expect that in a year you will be an expert in NEON. Expect that your "sophomore" year experience will make it all worthwhile.

August 2011

Mike from TMC Consulting

August 2011

All 3 Things You Need it to Do - and More!

You want CRM software to do 3 things: 1. Safely store you data 2. Allow you to leverage your data 3. Allow you to interact with your organizations website Most systems do the first 2 - they better (!), NEON does the third one too and better than any other product in the industry. My only hope is they don't get bought by Blackbaud. I've done 15 or more conversions with many different product and have never been happier than with NEON. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll share more with you.

Pros

I won't comment on the other features NEON does that other systems do as well - or almost as well. Instead, I'll focus on the factors that set them apart from the other players on the market. FORMS! - how can any org look past the ability to survey their constituents via email and then have the responses post to the database? e.g. How did you hear about us? a - k / What most interests you about our work? a.b.c. d. free form response / How would you like us to communicate with you? a - d Events! NEON is the industry leader in allowing users to enter info via an org's website and into the database. I have one client using NEON that registers athletic event users via their website - all the way down to the waiver release form via a digital signature. All that info results in a paperless process that posts to their website on the back end. Training - online video training is FREE - you won't get that with eTapestry or DonorPerfect.

Cons

The reports function features a URL for a particular report (dynamic too). This is is fantastic! But many board members and volunteers need to be reminded to access the url and it would be great if NEON would schedule the delivery of reports on an ongoing basis rather than the user having to schedule the delivery of the reports. A small thing, but one less thing the user has to think about doing.

Response from Z2 Systems

Replied August 2011

Thanks Mike! we appreciate your review! As for the ability to email reports out to board members, you can set up an account in NEON, create a recurring activity to have NEON email your board member with the dynamic report link on, for example, the first of the month every month. And as for the comment about the BBaud buyout, no chance. :) We're in this for the long haul to create the best cloud based CRM for nonprofits and to ensure we offer it for less. Plus, NEON is built as an All-in-One platform that can house fundraising/donors, membership/members, events/registrants and track all of this in one system. Plus, our frontend connectivity to nonprofit's websites allows everything to funnel right into NEON automatically. Times are changing and there is no longer a need to spend so much for powerful software and IT staff to manage servers. NEON, by Z2 systems, Inc., is here to stay and evolve with the technology needs of the Nonprofit industry. Count on it!

Christine from Open Table

NeonCRM: A solid decade by need to move forward

We've been using NEON for over 10 years. It has been a solid, reliable performer. We have grown from $150k to over $1M in fundraising, and NEON has supported that growth (although it is not able to make mass changes to old data as we have better understand/refine how we track donations). Although NEON has incorporated some enhancements and improvements to the user experience recently, overall they have been slow to change, and customer support is not very responsive. Support for household roll-up (including family funds/DAV) has become critical to our organization, requiring us to seek other software solutions.

Pros

Solid basic constituent and donation management. Reliable - service is rarely down or unacceptably slow. Interface is relatively easy to use for anyone with good software sensibilities (a simpler view would be helpful for less techy BOD members).

Cons

Householding support with regards to donations roll-up is very poor. Reporting, while flexible and seemingly comprehensive, often requires export and external manipulation to get what we want. Organization is not responsive to customer requests - with popular suggestions in forum going unaddressed for years.

Don't know, wasn't involved

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

We were ready for a real CRM - 10+ years ago. We are actually now switching from NEON to Bloomerang

Response from Neon One

Replied May 2021

Hello Christine. We're happy to hear how much success your organization has had fundraising through Neon CRM over the past 10 years, but we're sad to see you go. Your feedback regarding how and why you're switching to another CRM is extremely insightful in helping us grow, and help us learn which features are most important to our customers. Thank you so much for leaving your review!

Tracy from Veterans Miracle Center Erie

Veterans Miracle Center Erie Gets Squared Away Using NeonCRM

Pros

NeonCRM is very robust in its comprehensive capabilities to manage every aspect of fundraising, reporting, tracking, lead generation and just plain constituent management process. For Veterans Miracle Center Erie, the offerings of NeonCRM's full suite of modules was well-above our necessity at the time we implemented it, and at a cost that would make any non-profit cheer. The optional modules available for growth allows the VMCE to grow at a solid-yet-comfortable rate, with confidence that our CRM can grow with us. Additional features for mass-emailing and event management are just some of the additional options we look forward to. For those seeking to have organizational excellence, this tool will allow you to cross items of the "accomplished tasks" list every day and breathe a sigh of relief. There are countless videos, articles, and DIY options available should your organization not have the budget for one-on-one guidance from NeonCRM's support.

Cons

Filtering data down to a very specific subset of constituents, donations and campaigns for further analysis is key to the non-profit world. NeonCRM is very powerful for drilling down to mine out the gold needed. However, if your organization does NOT purchase the conversion support and general support, a person who is tech-savvy and patient ought to be selected to carefully read the very thorough SOPS and knowledge base articles provided by NeonCRM. It really isn't a complaint - just be prepared accordingly to either spend the additional funds for proper support, or know that you are at the mercy of someone to teach your remaining staff how to build and pull custom reports. Please note that the system does feature a TON of pre-fab reports, so you won't be at a loss even in your newness to NeonCRM.

Chriz from Museum of Deaf History, Arts & Culture

Basically, a good value for small nonprofits

Pros

Great tools for managing donor system- love the automatic thank you emails, donation forms, database, reporting, etc. Also love the ease of use with Events and Campaigns.

Cons

The donor and members features did not work well together where it was not reporting member contributions as donor contributions (IRS allows member contributions to be tax deductible as long under $75). We now just use the members feature with zero value in order to be able to send them annual reminders (and mark their member contribution as a donation). Not working perfectly but it's what we do for now. Another piece that I do not like is the customer support is either hard to get or not timely in their responses. It often takes 48 hours or more for a response, and sometimes I have to remind them I am waiting for a response. The delay of response makes is so I forget to follow up on the issue that we were having. Very frustrating at times.

Comprehensive features.

It wasn't a good fit.

Response from Neon One

Replied April 2021

Hi Chriz! Thank you for your review. Please continue to reach out to our support team, so we can continue to help you to make Neon CRM work great for you! You can also find a variety of webinars, guides, and videos for Neon CRM here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/.

Gets the job done

I used NeonCRM daily to manage memberships, events, and programming for a small nonprofit.

Pros

NeonCRM has a decent amount of tools for automating processes and you can store most of the information you'll need about members/clients. If you/your company don't want to do webdesign, they'll set up a website for you. Kind of a one-stop shop. The Neon forum has good information for finding workarounds when you have issues.

Cons

NeonCRM's branding is that they're building software for nonprofits since they come from a nonprofit background. Cool idea, but I'd rather use a CRM built by software engineers. There is no easy way to integrate Neon events with a calendar on a webpage. The default is a list of events in chronological order. If you have a lot of events, repeat events, or events with different categories or audiences, this is not a good way to display the information. My team had to custom code a calendar widget that integrates with NeonCRM. The UI is not intuitive, which is fairly typical for CRM software but given that NeonCRM was built so much more recently than other major players in the CRM landscape, I expect a bit more. It is clunky. After the initial setup and launch, it felt like Neon wanted nothing to do with us. Their customer service approach is designed to limit how much you contact them and make it feel costly. I was not on the team that chose NeonCRM, but I'd have strongly considered a competing CRM like WildApricot or even Salesforce.

October 2013

Diana from Montana Weed Control Association - duplicate content

October 2013

We are an environmental educational nonprofit. We provide many educational events for our members and the public to learn how to identify and manage noxious weeds. We also provide educational publications. We made the decision to leave our other system after increase fees and what we felt was decreased interest in smaller nonprofits after they were purchased by another vendor. We also did not like the fact each year when we did events their system did not allow us to customize things ourselves using their system but required us to get out the checkbook and pay them to do so. We initially bought the base plus two modules with Neon in 2011. We purchased the website shell overlay. The second year we expanded to the full product. We did our own data conversion in less than 30 days. We brought over the history of membership and events that we had exported into Excel spreadsheets. We felt the conversion was very easy. The vendor was there for help, though it was easy enough and well documented such that we did not require much help. We learned to use the system quickly using their documentation, videos, and knowledge-based website and forums. Honestly, for the most part, the system has been intuitive. Their customer service rocks. We use the ticket system exclusively, and they have provided responses in a timely and professional manner. We really appreciate that their help desk appears to have a stable employee base with low turnover, so we feel that they know us. More importantly, the development team at Neon seems to want to grow this product by listening and making regular system changes that reflect the changing needs of NPOs. Each year when we renew, we can always think of a thing or two that happened that makes us glad again we are with Neon. We have benefited by being with a system that listens to their user base. I see things that we have suggested incorporated into the system. There are twice a year updates that we can depend on, which are documented and announced (unlike our old system, which dropped things in unannounced, and then we would have problems and not be able to figure out why). Releases have been fully tested and it is not buggy software. We have saved money for our nonprofit by reducing the number of SAS vendors we deal with. We have improved efficiency and understanding of our donors and members as we have brought all of relationship interfaces to a single database. When we pull up a donor, we now know what they bought, when they last donated, if they are a member, how long they have been a member, which events they have attended, and more. This has been a great economic move for us, but it has turned into an even better strategic move that will allow us to better understand all those we interface with, which will in turn allow us to better fulfill our mission .

Mandy from The Covering House

Multi-platform CRM

Overall a great product and easy to learn. If you need a lot of very specific reporting, however, this may not be the one for you.

Pros

Seamlessly integrates event registration, social fundraising, online donations, volunteer scheduling, grant tracking and donor development all in one CRM.

Cons

Specific reports can be difficult to obtain. Trial and error to get the exact information you want. You also cannot create tickets for events-- registrants only receive email confirmations.

Response from Sean

Replied May 2018

Hi Mandy, Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback. We're happy to know you've been taking advantage of so many of the tools Neon offers! To address your concerns specifically, we completely understand that getting the right report results can be a trial-and-error process, which is why we try to offer a wide range of resources that deal with reporting. There's a wonderful article in our support center titled, appropriately, "Getting the Right Report Results" at https://support.neoncrm.com/hc/en-us/articles/218529077-Getting-the-Right-Report-Results. I would also encourage you to submit a support ticket or schedule some time with your Professional Services Consultant for an in-depth, one-on-one discussion of your reporting needs. Should you need access to a report that isn't available within Neon already, we can always pull a custom report for you at your request! Finally, while Neon does provide email confirmation for all event registrants and attendees, you can also utilize our integration partnership services for more robust ticketing and check-in functionality. We integrate with both Eventbrite and MyRollCall--if you'd like more information on how these services integrate with Neon, please send us an email at clientsuccess@neoncrm.com. Thanks again! -Your Neon Team

Amy from Beth C. Wright Cancer Resource Center

Not particularly user friendly.

We benefit by being able to use the software to upgrade our database and access details swiftly. Connecting the events to our website has been especially useful, making our registration process much more efficient.

Pros

I primarily use the features for creating an event and registering participants. The ease of connecting each event with our website is especially important and this works well with Neon. Overall I do find that the software is overly complicated and difficult to edit. It stores a great deal of information, but the fields are excessive. I would prefer a software program that is simpler and more user friendly.

Cons

Editing is very difficult. Just one example is the form for accounts. We have spent many hours trying to tailor the fields to our organizations needs and still have not resolved this issue.

Response from Neon One

Replied April 2021

Hi Amy! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Neon CRM. We are happy to hear our product has helped you to access details swiftly and connect your events and website. We recommend reaching out to our support team to resolve your issue with customizing your fields to your organization's preference. You can fill out a ticket or find additional Neon CRM guides here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/

Tristan from Brewers of Indiana Guild

A powerful system (perhaps more powerful than most small organizations need)

Overall, a great system which I'm glad we found. We tried a few others to manage our 3 levels of membership, and none of them lived up to the sales pitch. NeonCRM has so far.

Pros

It can do a lot in terms of membership: Allow new members to join, current and expired members to renew, membership discounts, etc. It's quite affordable, too, and the customer support seems solid so far.

Cons

Running reports can be difficult because there are so many possible data fields that a member can have. I've had considerable difficulty, for example, finding members who signed up--who didn't renew and weren't past members--between certain dates. It's probably just one or two fields in the report that I haven't included, but it's quite frustrating. And though the online help center has a lot of content, I've had to contact support several times because I couldn't find what I was looking for online. We set up our system in about a week and a half--significantly faster than the recommended timeframe. I have considerable experience with CRMs, and most small organizations would likely have substantial difficulty setting this up themselves. Most organizations will likely want to work closely with Neon to launch their system to its fullest potential.

Response from Sean

Replied January 2018

Hi Tristan, Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback. We're honored to be your choice of CRM and glad to see you've been taking advantage of all the tools NeonCRM offers. We agree that reporting can be complex because, even though it's a simple process, there are a lot of options. You are absolutely right to utilize our online Knowledge Base and Support Center, and our Client Success team has reached out to you directly to help make sure you're getting the most out of your reports! Finally, we'd like to say that in addition to the support you mentioned, we offer the option for new NeonCRM users to work directly with our Professional Services team during the initial implementation of their system. It's a great way for new users to get off on the right foot with Neon! Cheers! -Your Neon Team

Jessica from Solvang Theaterfest

Well worth it

I've used several different CRM programs and I find Neon CRM relatively easy to use and affordable. It is very capable of fulfilling the needs of our organization. I also appreciate how fast Neon customer service responds to questions.

Pros

Being able to pull the data easily for what I need when I run reports. And being able to individualize the main page so that I can instantly see donation increases in the campaigns that I'm interested in.

Cons

When first learning to use I would miss a donation when looking at an individual's record- if that donation had been added to their partner's account instead. To remedy this I linked the households together and now only check this page so I can make sure to see all the gifts made in one place. It would be helpful though to be able to add mailing list tags to entire households instead of only by the individual.

Response from Neon One

Replied April 2021

Hi Jessica! Thank you for the honest and thorough review. We hope we can continue to make Neon CRM "well worth it" for you! Please reach out to support or pro services at Neon One and we can discuss households in more depth with you and optimize the process even more with you. This team can help you find some resolutions to your "household issue."

Shelagh from Lake Country Arts

Industry: Fine Art

Best non profit CRM on the market for small- medium sized operation

It constantly surprises me with how well they have designed features. There is a lot we haven't explored yet. The Help and Support site is great, especially the video modules and the webinars. We don't pay for support as the few issues we have had they answer in a day or so with helpful answers. The one exception was an obscure bug I found in the 'new" workflow process. It was fixed in the next release.

Pros

I did an indepth analysis of non profit CRM systems and this came out on top. We could not afford anything expensive so the price was right. It has all the finctionality we need so far. It did not have "installment due" automated reminders but a few months ago they added workflows which are unbelievable powerful tools to not just send out reminders based on various triggers but you can perform multiple actions based on the trigger. The communications ( eblasts) is very well thought out. In fact we are about to stop using MailChimp & save their fees

Cons

So far we have not had great success in using it for event registration and processing. There are two many payment screens and we had s few credit cards declined. But to be fair, we did not dig into the reasons. We reverted back to Brown Paper Tickets but are looking at other products for our complicated multi-table registrations.

Courtney from SERVE, Inc.

Great customer service!

Pros

I've looked into several different donor relations databases, and Neon was hands down the best we've seen. The customer service was definitely above and beyond, and truly set them apart from their competition! The database is very user-friendly and customizable. I can't wait to full start using it!

Cons

I don't particularly care for the fact that you have to pay an additional cost for the extra training. I feel like this should be included. If companies don't have time to watch all of the youtube videos, or aren't great at being self-taught, then they will not be able to get the most out of the system, and will be more likely to cancel the services. If the customer doesn't understand the database and how to use it, then it will ultimately be a waste of money for the client (which means NEON will lose their business). Small non-profits like mine, who are looking to increase fundraising and donations, just can't afford that extra cost.

Response from The Neon Team

Replied September 2018

Hi Courtney, Thanks so much for your kind words about your experience with our team! We are happy to have you on board. To address your concerns regarding training, let me say that we strive to provide training options suitable for all of our clients regardless of budget, size, or learning style. Our online knowledge base at support.neoncrm.com has in-depth guides and videos to help new users get started and experienced admins take their CRM to the next level. We also have an active community forum and unlimited ticket support included with every service package. For those who would like more customized, one-on-one training, we offer a range of services and pricing that includes chat, phone support, on demand training, and extended training & consulting. If you'd like any assistance finding the training and support options that are right for you, drop us a line at clientsuccess@neoncrm.com. We're here to help! -Your Neon Team

Mary Beth from Katherine Anne Porter School

March 2016

Excellent experience with NeonCRM...highly recommend it!

I work for a small, public charter school. The school had never tracked donors, incoming donations, or consistently sent thank yous. The only data that I had available to load into NeonCRM were from folders of thank you letters that had incomplete/incorrect contact information in some cases. I imported the current parents of our students this year as well as any data I could glean from the thank you letters for the previous 3 school years. NeonCRM allowed us to more easily communicate with all of our constituents. The thank you letters are formatted to include tokens that make the letters more personal as well as contain photos and accomplishments of our student body. They are also are set up with different text and photos based on whether the donation is designated, in-kind, or unrestricted because that data is easily tracked in the software. For the first time, KAPS participated in Giving Tuesday with an email campaign and also did an EOY appeal, neither of which had been attempted in the past. The EOY campaign brought in 30% of our donations for the year in the last two weeks of December. Several of the donors elected to become part of a new Friends of KAPS organization that is in its infancy. We were also able to send a donation summary for tax purposes this January, which had also never been done by the school. The reporting helps us target donors for specific appeals and know who has (and hasn't) given recently. We were able to get several people to sign up for recurring donations that increased our sustainability. My current efforts are two-fold: 1) increase the use of the constituent portal, and 2) track volunteer hours using the Volunteer module so that we can report this data in grants that we are pursuing. NeonCRM has been instrumental in taking our organization to the next level: helping us to maximize our constituents, increase our bottom line, and help us to become a professional charter school that is responsible with our constituents monetary donations. I would highly recommend NeonCRM to others looking for a constituent database. (My only reason for giving a 4 on Ease of Use is that, being a small organization, I was not able to attend training. However, the videos and online manuals helped me determine how to use the software. The NeonCRM support staff were also very helpful if I couldn't find the answer to my question on my own.)

Linda from AWARE Wildlife Center

Neon CRM for Donor Management

We use Neon for donor management and interface it to QuickBooks. There are several things that work very well and have made our operation more efficient. The primary efficiency item is that a webpage is developed for each campaign. We use this webpage on our organization website. This captures the donor and credit card information from the web page and sends it to both Neon and, in our case, Authorize.net. From there it syncs to QuickBooks and all is well. The problems can occur when we have manual transactions to enter, check and cash donations. Previously, it was simple to enter these to QuickBooks. Now that we are entering them to Neon and then syncing to QuickBooks, if there is an error in the entry to Neon and we do not catch it prior to the sync, we then have to fix both Neon and QuickBooks. One downside is that we only use Neon for donations. For us, it is not cost effective to use Neon for other transactions such as product sales. So, we have to remember that Neon is for donations and other transactions go directly to QuickBooks. This gets a bit complicated if one person pays for a donation and a product with a single check, cash or credit card transaction. There are a few fields that don't seem to sync from Neon to QuickBooks, so the info is in Neon but not QuickBooks. At least we haven't figure out how to get these fields to sync yet.

Pros

Operational efficiencies with the campaign web pages and the QuickBooks syncing.

Cons

Reporting - There are some canned reports and you can generate custom reports. However, the custom reporting features take some getting used to and sometimes are not able to do what you want. Dashboard - The dashboard could be more robust showing more information about donors and donations.

May 2015

Jane from Reed House, Inc.

May 2015

Still a newbie but very happy so far

Pros

The sales staff was extremely knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful. Once we made the decision and started working with the support staff I found them equally accessible, knowledgeable, responsive and helpful. It is very easy to find helpful and instructive written materials and video training modules to solve most problems. The program is fairly intuitive and responsive.

Cons

Exporting our data from eTapestry and importing it into Neon was a disaster. If I'd had any idea how difficult it was, I'd have paid someone almost any price to do it for me. Most of the problem is the way gifts export from eTapestry, but Neon did not have the ability to adjust for that. It took four months to clean up the data and begin enjoying the functionality of Neon. I'm "Old School" and living in the formal Deep South, so I have to make some adjustments to keep communications formal as Neon is developed for the less formal use of the younger set. But it can be done.

Response from NeonCRM

Replied June 2015

Thank you for your constructive feedback, Jane! We’re so pleased to have you on board and can’t wait to see how NeonCRM furthers your mission to help people whose lives have been disrupted by serious mental illness. We have helped hundreds of clients successfully migrate their data into NeonCRM. We understand this is the toughest part of moving to a new system, but also the most important. A good CRM starts with good data. That’s why all of our clients have access to free data export guides (https://z2.zendesk.com/entries/65688740-Data-Export-Tips). We also have a dedicated team that specializes in data analyses and imports. Clients can choose to have us do the entire import for them (custom import) or to have our specialists guide them through a self-import. Thanks again for your comments and we are thrilled we were able to get you through the difficult time of getting your data out of your previous system. Onward and upward! We look forward to being a partner of Reed House and are thrilled to be aligned with an organization doing so much good for people who truly need help. -Your NeonCRM Team

Laura Beth from DirectWomen

Neon has turned our data into an asset

Since we adopted Neon this Spring, our organization's approach to data collection and historical information has completely revolutionized. Now, we do not have to reinvent the wheel every year. I am responsible the maintenance of the account and report creation and I could not be more pleased.

Pros

I love that Neon allows for a great deal of customization in the account fields. As an organization, we have lots of specific information that we are tracking and Neon allows for this to easily be drawn into reports. Customer service is incredibly responsive and helpful. Each new update is a pleasant surprise because I have found that they significantly increase the usability of the program. The relationship function allows us to track the connections that are so crucial to our development process. The event-building page was exactly what we needed and allowed us to build out a 500-person luncheon.

Cons

Neon does not allow us to draw reports focused on the relationships between our constituents which would be very useful. Neon does not have a great selection of newsletter or email templates. Additionally, we have found that emails from Neon consistently go to spam. I wish that it was possible to transfer information from custom surveys to account custom fields. Same with event information.

Judy from Hubbard Hall Projects, Inc.

Industry: Fine Art

Excellent, well rounded CRM package.

Overall we would not hesitate to recommend the NeonCRM software package to any non-profit organization. Neon is available online from anywhere and is extremely reliable. Neon has partnered with other software solutions like QuickBooks, EventBrite and Survey Monkey. The package is reasonably priced and customer service is top-notch.

Pros

Full package offers all the options we need to organize and run our non-profit arts and education center. We need events for our performances and classes, donations are the core of our existence, the membership model is adaptable to our pass holders and we can track custom data about our patrons. The reporting feature is robust and works with Excel and Word. Neon integrates with our website and merchant account seamlessly.

Cons

It's hard to come up with many cons but the built in calendar needs upgrading to a more modern look. Some of the account fields are not available on all reports and past events need to be archived individually rather than in a bulk procedure.

Susan from Nonprofit Leadership Alliance

Critical platform to our business performance

We are very proud to partner with Neon One. Their business team is responsive and helpful. The company is an exceptional corporate citizen. I have also been very impressed with their willingness to help us network with their other clients.

Pros

Neon One allows us to centralize our operations and interactions with our clients. The single sign on function means we can track all of our processes through the CRM, giving us a single source of truth to analyze and report our successes.

Cons

Editing letters within the platform is a little cumbersome.

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

Cost and experience of account management team

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

Neon One is much more appropriate for the work we do.

Response from Neon One

Replied March 2021

Hi Susan! Thank you for leaving a review. Client support and feedback are an essential part of our business. In regards to editing letters, we have a great support article about different options for "letter templates" with Neon CRM. You can find that here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/article/218530127LetterTemplates

Chris from Portsmouth Institute

Industry: Fine Art

NeonCRM is overall easy to use and have been a huge help for growing the fundraising and programmatic missions of my small non-profit.

Overall good experience, and the staff has always been kind, helpful, and responsive.

Pros

I love the membership and event management systems, and how easy it is to integrate with MailChimp. The price point is great for my small nonprofit.

Cons

I do not like the forms, even when customized. The buttons, fields, and fonts seem outdated. Also, creating custom forms is difficult. You have to switch back and forth between the Forms & Pages Section and the System Setting section, and as a non-tech guy at my small and scrappy non profit, I constantly forget where everything is and how to change things. The system should be designed for the "lay" user, especially for a database that is accessible to small non profits, who most likely don't have the money to hire a full time tech or database manager, but divide responsibilities between the ED, fundraising, and program staff.

June 2014

Ilana from Golden Gate Audubon Society

Industry: Environmental Services

June 2014

Takes care of a lot of different functions!

Pros

We've been using Neon for over a year and are generally happy with it. The biggest plus is that it handles multiple functions for us; we use it as our member/constituent database, our donation portal, our event registration software, and our social fundraising software. We used to use a homegrown Access database and had to manually input every payment that members made. With Neon, if members make a donation or payment online, it is automatically added to their record in the database. As a small organization with minimal office staff, we've found this helpful in saving time/work. We've found it very easy to print out mailing lists, email lists etc. for our mailings. (And we haven't even been using MailChimp, which is the third-party email program that integrates with Neon. We just download a list to Excel and then upload it to our email program, Vertical Response.) Being cloud-based is a plus; we can access our member records etc. when working from home, in the field etc.

Cons

As software that performs multiple functions, it probably doesn't have as many features as single-purpose software. (I.e. if you purchased software that JUST did social fundraising, it would probably have more bells and whistles than Neon's social fundraising module.) But then you end up spending more money and having systems that don't talk to each other.

Beth from Scranton Library

Industry: Fine Art

This CRM Newbie LOVES NEON!

I was new to using a CRM type data base like NEON when we were researching programs and systems a year ago, so I had a lot of concerns about jumping in. Thanks to excellent live customer support as we launched and loaded, as well as the online support via videos and online knowledge base, I've been able to learn a ton and make NEON do what I need it to do. I feel like I'm always learning more and that we're still just scratching the surface of what is possible with this very powerful system. I think it is affordable, and I appreciate the ability to only pay for the modules we're using - we received terrific guidance from our client manager during our purchase and set up, and once they had a sense of the work we do, she recommended against our purchasing an additional module. We can always add more later. We have learned a great deal about our data and have decades worth of records that need housekeeping attention on our end, but we're moving forward and using NEON on a daily basis to support our work.

Pros

Ease of use Clear, easy to use screens Consistency across options - once I learn one thing, it is applicable in many different scenarios Online knowledge base and training videos Potential!

Anthony from Projects for People

March 2016

User friendly and great customer service.

Pros

I had never heard of this software previously, so was a bit unsure if it might meet our needs. I was very pleasantly surprised by the features of the product and that it was user friendly, but also received great customer service. After speaking with them they gave me a chance to use the product for free. They could even see that I didn't have much time to use it during the trial period so they reached out and offered the chance to extend it for me. Being a small nonprofit of all volunteers it was great to be able to have more time to really test it and see if it would work for us. And then being able to seamlessly move the data from the trial version to our actual version once we purchased was an added bonus.

Cons

Originally was concerned that the product comes in modules and that if we wanted more modules it would greatly increase the cost. It turned out that after looking at this pricing structure it was better for us because there are features that we would never use - so I feel like we are only paying for what we use. We haven't used all of the features yet so it is possible we could find something we don't like, but as for now, we're very happy. The importing we have done has been very easy.

Whitney from YWCA Cambridge

We love NEON

All in all, its a great software that is easy to use!

Pros

Neon is very intuitive and makes it easy for someone new to the software to learn. We love the donation page because it's easy to see when new ones come in. Email campaigns are awesome and easy to create.

Cons

I wish there was a little more customization. I would love more email templates. Secondly, I feel like it's hard to run customized reports.

Response from Neon Team

Replied July 2018

Hi Whitney, Thank you for your feedback! We're so glad to see that you've found Neon's forms and email campaigns helpful! Please let me take a moment to address your concerns: While you can build or upload your own email templates into NeonCRM, we understand that there may be times when you'd like more complex email configuration options. That's why we offer robust integration partnerships with services like Constant Contact (https://support.neoncrm.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004170474) and MailChimp (https://support.neoncrm.com/hc/en-us/articles/218530147), both of which are great options for sending beautiful emails. You also mentioned encountering some difficulty running custom reports, so I've created a support center account for you to access our client support team directly! If you find yourself struggling to configure a report, submit a question at support.neoncrm.com. I hope this helps! -Your Neon Team

Jennifer from Lake Wapogasset Lutheran Bible Camp

A great improvement for our management of data

Switching to Neon has been a good move for our organization. We are able to better organize our information in a more comprehensive way. After 1 year of use we are still figuring out how to use all the functions of neon to our advantage. Customer service is quick to respond and pretty amazing.

Pros

It is very user friendly and it is accessible anywhere.

Cons

The formatting platform for system letters, system emails, and online forms is ridiculously bad. It looks like it might work like Word but it does not. It is so limited in its ability that I find we had to revamp everything we've always done with communication flow. This is very frustrating. There are so many good platforms out there - I wish neon would improve this feature. It would make life much easier with neon.

Tracy from WAGS Pet Therapy of Kentucky

Perfect for our small volunteer organization

The reason that I gave 4 starts for ease of use is for the implementation process. Other software would get the same number of stars because the implementation of anything like this is always very complex and takes a certain kind of person to complete. The system administrator needs to be very comfortable with computers and feel comfortable with teaching themselves how to use it and figure out any issues or solutions. The configurations, customization and importing of previous data can be difficult for someone that isn't comfortable with new software, or someone who doesn't take time to read all the instructions. The Neon CRM is working perfectly for us. One of the free webinars on QuickBooks actually helped us figure out how to more efficiently and effectively use QuickBooks. Our members love being able to log into the system and update their profiles and see their membership history.

Pros

Online database is secure; database and the application are organized in ways that make sense for how non-profits operate (fundraising, donations, membership); flexibility in features; customization available; statistics and reports that are available; customer service is knowledgeable and responsive; automation of many processes that were previously done manually in spreadsheets and word documents.

Cons

The ONLY thing that I wish Neon offered is a feature for the app. We have monthly events, and I would love to have our members sign themselves in on two different iPads using the app, and have it automatically synced with each other online. To be fair, this is a feature that very few companies offer, since the automatic syncing is difficult to develop.

Sara from Angels in Disguise

Lots of functions, not easy to use

The system has lots of functionality (tracking donations from multiple events, creating automatic thank you letters, end of year letters) and there are additional add-ons for more (crowd funding, integration into Quickbooks, etc). The ability to scale makes it more affordable than other bundled similar products that we looked into. The biggest drawback is customer service. There is a large database of questions/answers, but without added expense, you are largely left to your own to figure out the system and set things up correctly. It's a good system for the value, but due to the lack of ease, I feel that we haven't utilized the system to it's fullest ability.

Pros

It gives a small non-profit an affordable option for keeping track of donations and donors.

Cons

Customer service isn't very good and since the system has a lot of functionality, it can be hard to navigate.

Response from Z2 Systems

Replied April 2017

Thank you for your feedback, Sara, and we are sorry to hear about your customer service concerns. We pride ourselves on great service and take any bad rating or experience seriously. All service plans include unlimited and personalized online ticket support for up to two users, so we encourage you to contact our support team whenever you have system usage questions. Our online ticket support satisfaction rating is 93%. Both the system and our online knowledge base are robust, but our support team is available to help point you in the right direction to specific guides or training videos that are most related to your questions and needs. We also offer additional help and Professional Services for current customers, such as implementation packages and personalized training/consultation. Our teams are here to help you get the most out of your system, and we plan to continue making improvements so Neon is easier to use and learn! -Your Neon Team

Joy from The Fit and Food Connection

Disappointed with customer service

Unacceptable thus far. If my customer service situation could be improved and Neon would be available to help and be accessible, I could honestly trust and enjoy the product.

Pros

It is very helpful and specific to non-profit management

Cons

A company is only as good as its customer service. I have been so extremely disappointed in having access to help and getting questions answered when we need them. Makes me question Neon CRM and ruins my ability to enjoy it. I really was hoping that Neon would be different. They will be available to up my price for the number of users, but are not available to help me when I am in need.

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

Wanted more non profit customization

Response from Neon One

Replied March 2021

Hi Joy. We are sorry that you have had a bad experience with our customer service team. When a client reaches out to us, they receive a reply within 24-48 hours. We know that that can be a long time to wait for a reply to resolve any issue that you may be facing. We have reached out to our client success and support team to understand better how we can support you and your organization in the future and continue to improve our customer support at Neon One. We appreciate your patience as we continue to find better ways to support our clients quickly and effectively.

Chelsea from Midtown Educational Foundation

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Fantastic Cloud Based Donor Management System

Fantastic sales and training reps, very robust product and the people who designed it and work with you know fundraising and the particular needs that come with the field

Pros

I love it's easy to use interface, how linked everything is, the ability to track prospective gifts and how it seamlessly interfaces with our website. Also, that online donations automatically get batched to the user's account.

Cons

there are a few quirks on limitations with reporting and social fundraising but they are totally things you can work with to get creative.

Response from Sean

Replied May 2018

Hi Chelsea, Thanks so much for the kind words! As you probably know, we pride ourselves on knowing nonprofit development inside and out since over 85% of our staff comes from a nonprofit background. You are correct that there are some limitations on reporting and social fundraising, but the benefit of being a cloud-based system is that we are constantly making improvements and we take feature requests very seriously. We're also happy to pull custom reports based on your specific needs. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know! Finally, we'd like to thank Midtown Educational Foundation for joining us at our recent On The Table event. It's always a pleasure to see our nonprofit partners in person! -Your Neon Team

Sheri from Food For Hope

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for non-profits

We have been very happy with the software.

Pros

It’s user friendly and can handle a multitude of tasks.

Cons

It’s difficult to enter items that are not tax deductible but have varying costs. It doesn’t work well for Silent Auction purchases.

Response from Neon One

Replied April 2021

Hi Sheri! Thank you for leaving a review for Neon CRM. Most nonprofits have a lot to do, which is why we prioritize usability and management of many tasks simultaneously. This is great to hear! We have noted your concern about silent auction purchases and have brought this to our product team. We are always looking for ways to improve our products, so we take these reviews very seriously. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review.

Valerie from Community Partnership for Arts and Cuture

Headaches Releaved

After 2 nightmarish contracts with two separate inward-/outward-facing database platforms, this was a breath of fresh air. It works right off the rip, the training videos are actually helpful, if you can get through them, and there was no pressure from sales; no contract. They know what they're good at and integrate other systems for things that have better, more specialized products like, Eventbrite, Quickbooks and Mailchimp, and consolidates the data. The whole team can actually use it rather than feeling like data-entry drones.

Pros

The integrations with Eventbrite and Mailchimp allow us to use the best of everything without having to manage lists in every direction or hiring an IT guru. We talked through our existing (and very messy) data with a data rep from the platform. She talked us through how we needed to clean and modify it for this particular system, including recommendations based her knowledge of the different form fields and feature, and then we uploaded it based on the mapping she set up, and were able to easily modify once we had everything ready to go live

Cons

It's not as flashy or designed as well as some others, but it works! The only other issue would be if we wanted to connect organization accounts and contact accounts in the upload. We could have asked for a custom import, or manually connected the accounts, but since the system search includes scanning the org field, we can search for one org and all the contacts who have it listed as their company pop up anyway, which is all we need!

Jared from Penobscot Bay Language School

Great Value! Best CRM for the money!

We can track student participation better than ever! Our volunteer, donor and grant support is also tracked in the system which has changed our whole approach to annual fundraising and program implementation.

Pros

Although I have only scratched the surface of its functionality, NEON has been great at doing just about everything I want it to (and when it does not, it is usually a help desk question away). They have great training and help available.

Cons

I would like to integrate NEON into more of our email and social media campaigns, but need time to figure a few things out.

Reasons for Choosing Neon CRM

My wife uses it for her organization Hardy Girls Healthy Women. She loved it, so it was an easy sell after comparing functionality and features with similarly priced CRMs.

Response from Neon One

Replied April 2021

Hi Jared! Thank you for leaving a review for Neon CRM. You can find more training and information about email campaigns here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/article/218528447CampaignEmails. If at any time you want additional support or training, you can find that information here: https://support.neonone.com/neoncrm/s/.

March 2015

Theresa from One Heart Family Ministries

March 2015

New user and like what I see so far

Pros

They were very helpful on the phone explaining what their software offers and helping me transfer my data. I like that the product is all encompassing for the donor. I like that this product can track donations, track events, and serve as our email newsletter provider also. I also think it is nice that the donor can create their own personal login and manage donations.

Cons

The product does not seem to have all the features I had with previous software. The main item I have not been able to do is to put a listing of all donations from a donor in a letter.

Response from NeonCRM

Replied March 2015

Thanks so much for your wonderful response, Theresa! We here at NeonCRM are extremely excited to be a part of One Heart Family Ministries mission in helping children who are struggling in the foster care system. What an amazing mission! Itemized Donation Token: As the deepest web-based CRM built specifically for nonprofits on the market, we are thrilled that OHFM can take advantage of so much integrated functionality that NeonCRM offers. Per your comment about placing an itemized list of all donations a donor has made into a letter (or email), we actually DO have that feature available and there is a guide on this in the NeonCRM Support Center. We'll have someone reach out directly to provide the necessary guides. Future Feature Suggestions: For any other features you are searching for and cannot find, please submit a ticket to our Support Team and they will be in touch with any corresponding guides and instructions. If, for some reason, there is a feature NeonCRM does not have and you would like to suggest it as an option for our Development Team to consider, we have a community forum where our clients submit "feature suggestions". We monitor this area frequently; and with new features being added to NeonCRM every month, we rank and prioritize what new features to add. We truly look forward to streamlining OHFM's day-to-day processes so staff can spend more time helping out the children that need your help most! -Your NeonCRM Team

October 2014

Daphne from Gala Hispanic Theatre

October 2014

Easy to Use!

Pros

The layout is extremely clear and easy to use. I didn't always have time to do the training videos but was able to figure out how to achieve my reports or email campaigns by simply following each screen and through a little trial and error. It's very user-friendly, and you can get to what you need in a few screen selections.

Cons

We can't edit existing accounts via upload without the NeonCRM ID. It would help if they system could give us an option to match records with last names and let us select. Also, when producing reports, it would be great if you could select more than one individual type.

Response from NeonCRM

Replied October 2014

Daphne, thanks so much for your amazing review! We're so happy to have Gala Hispanic Theatre as a NeonCRM partner-client. We just wanted to let you know that you can absolutely choose more than one "Individual Type" on reports. Simply choose either "In Range of" or the "Advanced" selector from the query drop down option and you will be able to add multiple selectors to the query (e.g., equal, not equal, etc.). Please feel free to reach out to the support team if you have further questions about using this option. As for batch updating accounts without a NeonCRM ID, it can be a slippery and unpredictable slope that can lead to updating the wrong accounts. While it seems logical at first glance, depending on something like 'last name' (or even another combination of simple rules to reconcile updating account data) to distinguish one account from another can utterly ruin the integrity of your data. There is just no better way to do this than with a unique ID. It is the only thing that can insure your batch updates do not accidentally update that other "John Smith" by accident. People even use different email addresses, nicknames, addresses and more from time to time, so please trust in our genius developers who are obsessively compulsive about your data staying clean. Thanks again for your awesome review and we are honored to be a partner in everything Gala Hispanic Theatre does at the beautiful Tivoli Theatre. -Your NeonCRM Team

Megan from SafeHaven of Tarrant County

Disappointing and Financially Irresponsible.

I wouldn't recommend Neon to anyone in fundraising. It is not only the volunteer module that we struggle with. In general we have a more limited capacity for pulling reports. The system tracks memberships and donations and soft credits. If you wanted to take a quick snapshot of all monies that have come into your agency between those fields it doesn't have a place that it's all collected, it's broken out in separate categories. In general the system is pretty and appears to have nice capabilities. If Neon was honest from the beginning we could have gone with a cheaper option and found something that works for our agency. Now we are stuck, spending thousands on a data transfer. If you are considering Neon, don't. Read their 'comments' in their support center - eye opening. This is a dishonest company with poor support and a subpar product.

Pros

We moved from a large popular fundraising platform and we were excited about the abilities of Neon and how it would help us with donor stewardship. They have some helpful dashboards that are great for quick tracking. The system is large and has some neat capabilities. Some of them being: sent emails tracking, workflows, advanced searches, donation page is great, and having the ability to personalize the system to the user. The account profiles are user friendly and intuitive.

Cons

This is a tough area. Fundamentally we struggle daily with reporting and customer service. We track our volunteers and our donors (often times they are one in the same) and we are unable to pull any data on volunteer hours in a month - it's only tracked in a month period and gives you a lump sum of hours. In general output information to pull data on is limited. Often times when we have questions or need help we will reach out to support and are simply just sent links to the support pages. Which by the time we've reached out we have already read those. Additionally we were excited about the chat function. The chat function only works when they have staff 'on', which is not often. I look daily and I've managed to chat with someone twice only in 6 months time. Support staff have poor attitudes and don't meet the need for help. When we were looking to purchase new software we specifically had needs for volunteers and donors. We were told the system would meet our needs - it does not. Now we are stuck going back to using excel spreadsheets and doing double work and unable to rely on a database that we pay for the top of the line features.

Reasons for Switching to Neon CRM

We switched from DonorPerfect to increase our ability for stewardship. With DonorPerfect we had grown out of the software and were looking for a system we could continue to grow into.

Shauna from Star Legacy Foundation

Appears to have good functionality but the proof is in the details.

We chose this software because it appeared to be able to do everything we needed it to. However, when getting into it more fully we consistently run into obstacles.

Pros

Good database function, automated emails, customized reporting.

Cons

We utilize the event module extensively and find that the functionality is difficult. The WYSIWYG feature to build an event page is difficult, you can't build sub pages for an event, no ability to have event add-on items (register for the event and buy a shirt, etc). I've had to add them into the store function and then make all events appear in the store function so that the add-on items would appear in the shopping cart with the registration - but there is no ability to customize a store item (i.e. personalization). The registration function is very confusing to our constituents in that you have to provide all information for the registrant before making the registration/ticket selection. Then the only place to put the add-on/store items is in the event registration summary page. The social fundraising functions are not terribly user friendly and intuitive. When you want to do registration discounts you can either take $ off or % off of the entire order - not off each registration when more than 1 person is registered. When I have asked about these features it has been suggested that we use Eventbright for events. We left event bright when we purchased NEON because we could save the costs with the integrated functions in NEON. Eventbright doesn't do social fundraising so this looked like a better option. And finally - duplicate accounts are a problem - especially because pricing is based upon the number of accounts. Merging/deleting accounts is a time consuming process. And, you cannot simply two accounts that should be merged (because you know they should be) unless the system identifies them based upon duplicate name, email, etc. For example - if a person registered using her home email and address for one event and then the next time she registered as that person's name using her work email the system won't recognize them as potential duplicates - and you can't manually select them to merge. The login feature we thought was good but unless you have memberships it isn't great - folks just don't log back in the next time the visit the site - they just create a new account.

Response from N/A

Replied December 2016

Hi Shauna, We’re sorry to hear about the difficulties you have experienced with functionality. We appreciate your feedback and take into account customer suggestions when considering product developments. We will be reaching out directly to further discuss your duplicate management pains and to better understand your event registration items. There are deeper duplicate scans that can be useful, and we of course want to hear from you about how the event registration process might be simplified. In the last month, we've come out with an enhanced template feature for social fundraising for more customization and usability--we will also send you info on this. Again, thank you for your valuable comments and please know we are always striving to improve the system and its functionality to better serve nonprofits. It's feedback like yours that helps us to plan for our monthly product releases. We appreciate having Star Legacy Foundation as part of the Neon community. We truly understand the importance of your mission and want to ensure NeonCRM can be effective in furthering stillbirth awareness. Our Account Management team will be in touch, but please know you can contact them if you have future questions or concerns. -Your NeonCRM Team