• Pros

• "The ease of copying a program to use again next year (with a few date changes, etc.) This is a great benefit and saves the user a lot of time! "

• "It is a relatively complex yet easy to learn program. You do not need to be a computer wizard to run this program."

• "It is easy to load the essay to the student's profile for the English essay readers. I like the ability to download an excel chart with the student's scores."

• Cons

• "There are times when it would be nice to actually call for technical help but for the most part they are very good about responding quickly."

• "When switching from one application to another, I sometimes find that it takes longer than it should. Other than this, I am completely satisfied with SmarterSelect."

• "We started at the very beginning when SmarterSelect first came out. Since then, desirable new features come with a higher price tag. "

Browse SmarterSelect Reviews

Katrina from Community Foundation for the Alleghenies

Great software. Great support. Great value.

It's easy to make custom applications and export the data from those applications, which saves time doing boring data entry work. The custom options help me offer tools to our review committees, which makes their partnerships with us more meaningful. It also has turned our application process nearly paperless, which saves us printing and paper costs, and makes looking up historical information easy.

Pros

Smarter Select is an easy-to-use platform that meets many needs for our organization. We can easily and quickly create custom applications for our variety of grant and scholarship programs. We find it very valuable to have online evaluator access, which allows our committees to get a jump start on the review process, oftentimes allowing them to reduce their number of in-person meetings, which is a big plus for busy schedules. Because application data can be easily exported into a csv/spreadsheet file, it is easy to upload to our database management system, which saves me countless hours of data entry. When I have had issues in the past, their support staff have been amazingly responsive -- my issues are often addressed and fixed the same day. I also appreciate their focus on education. Their free webinars have made it easy for me to understand the software's capabilities and new features and upgrades. All around, I'm a big fan of Smarter Select and would not be able to do my job as efficiently or easy without it!

Cons

Honestly, I have very few negative comments concerning Smarter Select. There are a few quirks to the system that you have to get used to, but once you do, it's very reliable and easy to use. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to come up with an actual con. If I can offer an improvement, it would be that once users log in, they could see any applications they have yet to complete, instead of just past applications. I would also like a way to better sort disabled past applications -- we have a lot of different apps and it gets a little crowded looking through our history. Other than that, it really is a great product.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2017

Hi Katrina, Many thanks for your review! Our support team will contact you shortly with info on how applicants can view apps they need to complete. Regards, Robert

Debbie from Unity Foundation of La Porte County

SmarterSelect for Grants and Scholarships

We have been a SmarterSelect "Bells & Whistles" subscriber since 2012. A a county-wide community foundation we utilize the program for our annual community grant cycle, multiple teacher grant programs, and over 40 scholarship programs. Each of these programs including a application, grant acceptance, and final report component. We evaluated multiple software programs before selecting SmarterSelect and continue to review programs recommended by our field. We have not found another program that offers the flexibility, features, and functionality of SmarterSelect. The SmarterSelect development team is receptive to ideas for new/enhanced features and is very responsive to issues.

Pros

The program continues to evolve in response to user input. Technical support and online tutorials make program creation and editing simple. The ability to copy & edit programs makes preparation for annual grant & scholarship cycles quick and easy. The creation of 40+ scholarship programs, some requiring unique applications and some utilizing a common application was initially a daunting task, but once the initial time investment was made, each year requires less and less time. The program itself is not difficult to use. The more complex and diverse your needs, the more complex the process becomes; however, an information technology or programming specialist is not required.

Cons

Latency. The time it takes to move between applications can cause frustration for system administrators and evaluators.

Jenny from SMASH

Would like more user-friendly and customization!

Pros

I like that it meets the basic needs of our program in terms of letting students apply to our program.

Cons

The user interface feels very slow and clunky. It's not super intuitive. For example, when creating an application form, I assume I can just edit by clicking on what I see, but in order to actually edit a section, I have to click through the sections on the right hand side first, and that doesn't seem very intuitive. I also wish we could create our own statuses that would allow us to do specific autoscoring. For example, one of the things we need to do is make sure that the applicants have submitted the correct attachments. I wish we could check for that in SmarterSelect continuously throughout the application period and not just at the end.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2018

Hi Jenny, Many thanks for your review! We appreciate your feedback on our user interface as we continuous work to improve it. Regarding your own statuses, create them with a multiple choice question with the Admin question class so that only you can see them. Regards, Robert

Jackie from Maisin Scholar Award

September 2016

Robust yet simple to use, and at an excellent price point

I am the SmarterSelect power-user at my organization and my experience with the tool and customer support have been overwhelmingly positive on the whole, but not without the occasional hiccup. I like how easy it is to get the hang of using the tool, and how responsive support is when something breaks (and this rarely happens). Our applicants and reviewers alike find our app better than most, which is great. However, there are features available that seem more beta/not fully thought out than ready, and issues which required weeks of back and forth, but none that are dealbreakers. Compared to the competition, I like how this tool has a good blend of customization and ready-out-of-the-box feel, with good mass communication features; most of the other platforms out there only do well on two of those.

Pros

Easy for even not tech-savvy people to pick up, but with a respectable amount of customization. The look is modern for both the front- and back-end and I appreciate how much thought went into making features on both ends appear and feel as such. Customer support is responsive and have gone through great lengths to identify issues and stress-test solutions, which is again greatly appreciated.

Cons

This has only happened once to my knowledge but when some back-end autoscore stuff broke, the process to identify the problem and fix it took longer than we had hoped, and it really dragged down our evaluator experience. So I would say perhaps the stress-testing is not rigorous enough.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied September 2016

Hi Jackie, Many thanks for your review! FYI, earlier this year, we added a dedicated software Quality Assurance person because "even rarely breaks" is not good enough for us. Also, we have some Single Sign-On CRM integrations and are planning for more.

Paige from High Jump

The platform is easy to navigate and very helpful. I do have issues with getting responses from CS.

This has helped our program streamline our application process. It also makes it possible to contact applicants and receive documentation more efficiently. Thank to this program we are able to track metrics and properly evaluate our recruitment and program.

Pros

I love the new features and how easy it is to contact/update applicants. Creating our own blast emails and having the capability to edit pre-formatted ones also helps us with our unique application process.

Cons

Whenever I have an issue with the platform, or unsure about the limitations of a feature I find it difficult to contact customer service or a specialist. The "Submit form" process is not personable and difficult to explain the issues I experience. I would prefer to have an account manager to discuss how to maximize the efficiency of the platform rather than the videos, which are not helpful in our unique process. Also, I would like to have the capability to split the application into phases, and not sure if that is possible with this platform.

Jessica from Alpha Kappa Psi

From scholarship application to chapter evaluation

As our chapter success plan process relies heavily on administrator access, multi-end user access, and evaluator access, SmarterSelect has been a perfect solution for use for this project.

Pros

We have used the system for years as part of our scholarship and fellowship application process. This past year, we introduced a new chapter planning and evaluation tool for our organization. We decided to put this tool in SmarterSelect because of the ease of use by both the administrator and the end-user. The ability to have the end-user save work and come back has been invaluable. Since this is an evaluation tool, the ability to give multiple individuals evaluator access was a key factor in our decision to put this process in SmarterSelect.

Cons

The form builder fuction can be confusing at times.

Laura from Alpha Kappa Psi Scholarship Fund

Switched from emailed applications to SmarterSelect - saved us a ton of time!

Pros

Soooo streamlined! I love that I can customize the application to meet my needs. Students say it's a much better process on their end, and I get better results because the parameters of the app require them to upload certain file types, require answers to some questions, and flag if they miss any questions. A huge time saver on the administrative time for me - and there are reports I can pull throughout the application period to keep my finger on the pulse of things. Plus, my evaluators can quickly review the apps and rank them without needing to open and download lots of files - and again, easy to pull reports. Huge timesaver and brings us into the 21st century!

Cons

The learning curve is there - it takes a while to get the knack of things. And setting up the application and revising it to be exactly what you want can be cumbersome. There's not a great way to test the application other than creating "fake" applications to ensure everything works smoothly. That said - it works very well for our needs and allows me to process more apps in less time with much less frustration for both me and our candidates!

Olivia from Phi Delta Theta Fraternity

Beyond excellent, especially for a beginner!

Pros

SmarterSelect is so easy to use. If I can't figure something out by simply trying different things, I can quickly and easily find helpful tutorials in the library. If something is so hard that I still can't figure it out-- which I don't recall ever happening-- customer support is super fast and responsive when i put a ticket it.

Cons

I wish I could archive deleted programs so that I don't have to sort through them, without losing the applications completely. I would just like to move the ones I know I will probably never need again out of the "disabled" section and only keep the ones from the past year or two in that section.

Chris from Wabash Valley Alliance

Industry: Mental Health Care

SmarterSelect

Having applicants that can apply online and have all of their information readily available makes our lives so much easier.

Pros

It is very easy to learn even if you are not the most tech savvy individual. Being given the option of customizing applications is a great way to be able to get straight to the information that you are looking for in applicants. No more worries about manually inputting data for hours!

Angela from The Community Foundation San Luis Obispo County

Industry: Philanthropy

One of the best decisions our Scholarship Program ever made!

Pros

Efficient, can be accessed from anywhere. The SmarterSelect online platform has made the work of scholarships far less cumbersome. I am able to streamline the process and app rules and matching has enhanced our ability to assist applicants and make their process easier.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything I don't like other than as features have been added I need more time to catch up. However, they offer frequent online training and that helps a great deal. I hear from IPAD users that on occasion scoring doesn't show up later.

Alex from Achieve Foundation

Great Value & Top Notch Support

Exceptional!!! Bottom line this software is excellent​! And the customer service is by far first rate.

Pros

SmarterSelect is very easy to use and the customer support is exceptional. Our organization has been using SmarterSelect for several years and the software continues to get better. I like that they continue to improve the software. I also like they make it a point to train their customers on their new features and upgrades.

Cons

There is not much that I do not like about the software. There are some back-end reporting things that I find cumbersome such as when a parent/guardian creates an application for their son or daughter that person's name appears on the reports first not the actual applicant's​ name. This poses a challenge when you are looking up applications by the applicant's name. Another issue with this is the recommender receives an email that does not say the actual applicant's name. The recommender does not see the name of the actual applicant until he​ or she opens the email. For example, if I create an account and start an application for my son Anthony, the recommender would receive an email that says Alex Rivera has requested that you submit a recommendation for the Achieve Scholarship. It is not until the email is opened that the recommender sees that Anthony is the actual person applying for the scholarship. This is often confusing for the recommenders. ​

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2018

Hi Alex, Many thanks for your review! Regarding the parent situation, just have the applicant/parent click My Account to change the First and Last Name to the student's name. Thanks again! Robert

Mike from Community Foundation for the Alleghenies

Smarter Select Provides Value, Function, and Efficiency

It's been a very beneficial experience. We've seen an increase in our grant and scholarship applications after moving to an online system. The Smarter Select team is always quickly available to help if we have an issue or question. And simply having an online application system makes us appear to be an advanced organization that meets our community's technological needs.

Pros

Our staff loves how fast and easy it is to create custom applications with a host of unique and useful functions. Our review committees enjoy being able to have online access to applications -- it makes their job a whole lot easier! And our applicants enjoy the ease and efficiency of being able to apply online. All in all, Smarter Select positively enhances our grant and scholarship application process while positioning us as a leader in our community.

Cons

If I could offer any improvement, it would be to add some additional options that could help to brand the system so that applicants can visually recognize which organization the are applying for support to. Another foundation in our region just purchased and implemented Smarter Select and this created some confusion for the non-profits in our region. We do include our logo at the top of the program for our applications, but it would be nice if there were ways to add it other places or on the log-in screen.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2018

Hi Mike, Many thanks for your feedback and comments! We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your team. Regards, Robert

Susan from Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge

August 2016

Works well for scholarships - not quite as adaptable for grants.

This program was designed to work with scholarships, and it does very well for that purpose. We also use it with our grant process and with a teacher recognition program where the nominator is not the person eligible for the award. There are definitely limitations and drawbacks for these processes.

Pros

The scholarship program is relatively easy to use, and the support staff is usually quite responsive and helpful.

Cons

For grant applications, there are limitations because the grants show up under the name of the person who completed the application rather than by the name of the organization. Smarter Select has developed a couple of work arounds to help ease this problem, but it does present quite a bit more work on the backside. Also, for our teacher recognition program, the nominator is the one who shows up, rather than the nominee. This is an ongoing problem that we haven't really been able to solve. Our program is pretty unique, so a solution is probably not on the horizon and may not be worth Smarter Select's efforts to fix it.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied September 2016

Hi Susan, Thanks for your review! Stay tuned for some improvements to customize your Apps table view.

Nancy from Tampa Bay Times Fund / Barnes Scholarship

Online scholarships made easy

SmarterSelect started hosting our online scholarship last year. I admit that I was apprehensive. I had been with our previous host for nearly 12 years (they changed their business model so I was left looking for a new site at the last minute). SmarterSelect's staff guided me through set up and learning their new system. Customer service is very good. I always get a quick response, and it is easy to set up a phone or web conference with the staff. And they are very good about helping you think through the logic of your questions and the question formats that will get you the information you want. I'm very impressed and very glad our program signed on with SmarterSelect.

Pros

Very easy to use. Once you understand the logic of the software, it is very easy to set up your own application. I found the evaluation process easy to understand and use as well.

Cons

I wish there were a guide to explain the hierarchy of the application design. I stumble around creating and deleting pages, until I can figure out what I want to do. If there were a prompt you could click on that explained this easily, I would appreciate it. I don't create a new scholarship application so frequently that I can keep this memorized.

August 2016

maria from sigma alpha Mu foundation

Great Price to Quality

I've used this for 5 years and the experience has been excellent. Unlike other programs, the price is terrific for the quality of the program and ease of use. They have only expanded their features. While lacking a bit in the matching side, they have so much that can be implemented behind the scenes.

Pros

Easy to Use, Great price to quality for the program. Unlike others, they don't raise prices dramatically every year and have kept the prices down, which is great for smaller budgets. Also While keeping prices down they've added more and more features. All problems I've ever had have been user error and not with their program. With the mid-level package there's SO MUCH you can do behind the scene to evaluate and rank (although matching still remains elusive). Any service to the site they've given plenty of notice so we can let students know the site will be down. Site stability and speed has been great.

Cons

No number to call right when you're having a problem-you have to send an email. To be fair, this is responded to promptly, but still... Once you know how to use the program it's very easy but there's no manual. Videos/support site and the topics are ok and expanding. Webinars help but can sometimes lose focus.

Sharon from Rogers Public Schools

The best for the job!

Our school district worked with a Word document application for years and really needed to advance to an online application process. Our tech department suggested rather than create something that may not work, that we search for a product reasonably priced that included a good support system. The tech department was shocked how reasonably priced and how advanced SmarterSelect's product was!

Pros

SmarterSelect listens to their customers and are constantly looking for ways to further improve. Their tech support is the best. They address every question quickly and with thought to answering in such a way that I understand the solution. I never am led to feel my question was too small.

Cons

n/a

Joanne from Toledo Community Foundation

Get Bang for Your Buck

We were looking for a cost effective online software package that would be easy for our users (students applying), evaluators and administrators. This software provides what we were looking for. Once the product was introduced, we have been tweeking it to fit our needs and make it a better user experience for both those applying and those reviewing the applications. SmarterSelect has been very responsive to our needs and worked with us to find solutions to most of our requests for assistance.

Pros

Ease of use and fantastic customer support.

Cons

Some places not flexible enough to provide what we need; and the fact that you cannot get aggregate reporting.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied September 2016

Hi Joanne, Thanks for your feedback! Stay tuned for aggregate reporting coming soon.

Lee from Community Foundation of Fayette Co

Industry: Philanthropy

Excellent value for grant and scholarship application program

SO GLAD that we don't have to paper applications and send copies to reviewers. This has streamlined our process immensely.

Pros

Relatively easy to create an application. Great online support. Very good value.

Cons

My applicants seem to have a problem when I give them a link to a new app. It's as if Smarter Select has put a cookie on their computer and my new link takes them to an old app. The Prequalifying questions have to be answered with all "Yes" responses. Sometimes that means that the question I must create is convoluted and confusing.

Reasons for Choosing SmarterSelect

I'm sure it was a price and value difference.

Victoria from Elgin Community College

Smarter Select is generally easy to use. The few glitches have not been an obstacle.

Pros

Cons

Students may have applied for scholarships using this program. When they log in to do our English essay , the student receives a message they already have an account. I can't determine whether it is for scholarship or financial aid. We have to use a different e-mail account for the student so they can log in to do the English Essay. If the student forgets the password or changes it, we have a hard time to retrieve it.

Stephanie from Johnson County Community Foundation

Easy to use and edit our numerous programs!

Easy use, helped us streamline our almost 80 individual scholarship applications into one common application with different sections.

Pros

Easy to create programs and personalize them to the desires of the scholarship donors wishes. Recommendations are easy to set up and capture. Being able to create a common application has helped us immensely as we are collecting roughly 500-700 individual applicants per cycle.

Cons

Have had issues with individuals being able to create accounts other than applicant accounts. Have experienced issues with matching information not functioning.

Nancy from Zeta Beta Tau Foundation

August 2016

SmarterSelect for ease of handling scholarship applications

I had no experience with a platform such as this but the support made it easy to learn and we have totally utilized it to the max. It will make your life easy if you let it.

Pros

App Rules and external recommendations are pretty easy to navigate. The scoring system is complex but worth it! Will save soooooo much time moving forward.

Cons

If you use the internal messaging function (including texting) there is no record to look back on. Huge flaw IMO.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied September 2016

Hi Nancy, Thanks for your review! Stay tuned for a log of messages in the near future.

Elton from College Now Greater Cleveland

Our experience with SmarterSelect has been fantastic! It is an amazing tool for our applications.

Pros

What I most like about the software are the features like the "App Rules", "Calculation" and "Autoscore". When we design and update our applications, these features make evaluation and selection process much easier to verify and lightens our overall workload.

Cons

What I least like about the software is how the form looks rather simplistic compared to other online applications. This is a very minor issue overall as the look and layout of the form is actually very helpful for mobile users.

Smarter Select and Competition Submissions

Smarter Select saves time for me in my work day. I like how I can easily pull a report and add evaluators. I love your "Support" tab on Smarter Select.

Pros

I really love how user friendly this is for Evaluators

Cons

There are a bunch of tabs on the side of the program that I don't know how to use. For Example... it takes me a ton of time to try and find how I change the abstract

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2018

Hi, Many thanks for your review! Please reach out to our Support team and they will be happy to schedule a training session for the tabs on the side of the program. Regards, Robert

Nancy from Elgin Community College

Proctor

Pros

Easy for proctors and student to be able to create an accounts have an understanding how to use the program.

Cons

I do not like that every time we are searching for an applicant it takes awhile. An example if you have 300 or more it could take 2 or more minutes to find the the applicant.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2018

Hi Nancy, Thanks for your review! Please use the Search box on the Applicants page to quickly find the applicant. Also, you can use a Report. In 2019, we'll be updating the tables for even faster responses. Stay tuned for updates! Regards, Robert

Alison from Beta Phi Mu Honor Society

We use SmarterSelect for the scholarships our honor society provides, both applications & judging.

Previously, scholarships were handled on paper (!!!). You can imagine the savings in time, energy, and resources by going to an electronic system.

Pros

It's great to have everything available in one place! I can also easily "clone" last year's applications to set up this year's applications. Judges have a single sign-in to get to the applications for their review, and it is usually easy for recommenders to follow the link sent and upload their letter of recommentation.

Cons

After awhile, the number of accounts in the system gets overwhelming. I wish there was some way to "archive" non-active users in regard to our account. Recommenders seem to often miss the emails sent to them; it might be helpful to remind applicants to let their recommenders know to expect an email (and to check their spam folder). There are certain aspects of the system that are a bit clunky, non-intuitive, and/or repetitive.

Sue from AAAA Scholarship Foundation Inc

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

5 Years with Smarter Select

I feel that the tasks of managing the applicant files and the voting process have become much more streamlined since we started using SmarterSelect.

Pros

Before we found SmarterSelect we were mailing out paper applications and keeping hard copy files of all applicants. SmarterSelect made the whole application process so much easier.

Stephanie from Ohio County Community Foundation

SmarterSelect Review

Pros

Our staff loves how much paper and file space we save with using SmarterSelect. Our scholarship and grant applicants love the ease and availability of submitting applications online. The support we receive from the support staff when encountering a problem is done in a timely manner. The training webinars and libraries are helpful and informative.

Cons

It doesn't intergrate with our current grants management software.

Kimberly from Western Indiana Community Foundation

It is a good product and meets our needs.

It allows us to keep our applications (scholarship & grants) uniform and easy to share electronically.

Pros

I like that it can be customizable. It can have as many questions you want. It is versatile enough that we can use it for both our scholarship and our grant applications. It is easy to have the option for attachments.

Cons

I don't like that you cannot pick up a phone and call someone. A phone call has to be scheduled via email. Any issues have to be dealt with via email/chat. Sometimes it is a lot quicker/easier to explain a problem by talking rather than writing. I wish there could be a way to create a chart for applicants to complete on questions such as activities or work history over the years. Right now you have to ask a the same question for each time frame. It gets a bit redundant.

Mary from Desert Community Foundation

DCF to SS

Very Very good

Pros

The ease in use and understanding the software. The cost was very affordable. There is good value for the cost.

Cons

The support is only available via email. You cannot always explain the nuances or a complicated problem via email, but you try. And then the answers come back not always on point. There is sometimes a loss in translation. To be able to talk to someone would be helpful sometimes.

August 2016

Kristy from Community Foundation of Washington County MD, Inc.

SmarterSelect Review

We use SmarterSelect for grant management, scholarship application, and nomination for an annual award.

Pros

While it is the only system of it's type with which I am familiar, I find it easy to use and to update.

Cons

I wish that the identifier for applicants could be altered depending upon use: ie, applicant for scholarship, organization for grant, etc.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied September 2016

Hi Kristy, Thanks for your review! Stay tuned for an enhancement to configure your Apps table columns (e.g. applicant, organization).

Kate from Delta Gamma Foundation

Great Value and Easy to Work with

We are able to more efficiently manage our programs!

Pros

I love the ease of being able to work with applicants and evaluators in an easy way. Communication, documentation, and management is easy through SmarterSelect's software

Cons

We have to use a separate program to work with matching our applicants to scholarships. It is also hard to know what evaluators and applicants are seeing through their view as an administrator.

Josh from CT Community Foundation

August 2016

Excellent online solution with fantastic customer service (and a very reasonable price!)

We have been using SmarterSelect for the past 4 years to administer our Foundation's scholarship program. Recently, we also started using it for our grants, demonstrating its flexibility.

Pros

This is an accessible, flexible, reasonably-priced system. Some other products may have more bells and whistles, but often cost far more. Additionally, this company has provided excellent customer support since the beginning, and has promptly addressed any questions or issues we've run into. The overall experience has been very positive for staff, applicants, and reviewers.

Cons

Sometimes the online interface can be a bit slow or unresponsive, and isn't always intuitive.

Barbara from Community Foundation of Shelby Co

August 2016

Make your scholarship season easier

We have been using SmarterSelect for several years. It has significantly reduced time and paper consumption. Students and parents when asked about the usage of our application are very pleased. Guidance departments are also happy with feedback on our application for local students. We are a Community Foundation with approximately 55 different scholarships. They have many different criteria and school districts involved. We have two distinct rounds, based on date. We use the software a little different than other clients of SmarterSelect. We want all our applications within one form for the students convenience. We also export and upload our finished applications in a different way for the evaluators than most clients of SmarterSelect. Customer service has been amazing! They are always ready to help and find solutions to our complicated application.

Pros

The sorting, reporting, and exporting make the application grouping to committees very efficient.

Cons

Because of our insistence to use only one application, The app rules on our application become very complex. This is not a mark against SmarterSelect, however it requires more use of SmarterSelect's customer services resources. Wish it would be easier for us to adjust on our own without requesting assistance.

The best program for all of your association management needs!

Pros

It has the flexibility to customize each application exactly as we need and we are able to edit it without contacting a support team!

Cons

Not being able insert clickable links within descriptions

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2018

Hello! Thanks for your review! Regarding clickable links, previously you could insert HTML code into the descriptions. However, we will very soon be releasing a text editor to make that process even easier. Stay tuned! Robert

Victoria from Elgin Community College

Submitting a help request

Generally the product works fairly smoothly. I wish there was an easier way to find a student than clicking on applicants and ALL applicants have to appear before I can search for the one applicant I need. If there are many applicants, the process takes several minutes.

Pros

I did receive an answer fairly quickly. I don't know why I can't get to the next page of this review.

Cons

It was difficult to find the help feature

Kristen from American Nephrology Nurses Association

Our association couldn't be happier!

The ability to use this software for many different areas of our business. It has expanded more than we had originally intended because of the success rate with the program.

Pros

We love that it is so versatile! We are able to adjust each program to meet our needs and easily contact support if needed. The evaluation process is super easy as well!

Cons

The inability to merge program data with other program data without exporting out of the website. It would be nice to be able to move applications into different programs, especially those that are repeats.

Ashley from Jasper Newton Foundation

Smarter Select Review

We are using Smarter Select for Scholarship Applications. It is a great system for this which stores all the applications and information for us until we are ready to process them. We have also branched out a little more this last year to use this software to collect the Scholarship Acceptance Forms, too. Very easy to print them (when necessary) and collect all the information we need to process the scholarship checks!

Pros

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to find exactly where to change the wording on a section or page. I have to fumble through this every time but I eventually find the right section to click on to change the information.

Jen from Alpha Chi Omega

SmarterSelect has been a good solution for us!

Pros

The customer service has been top-notch! My questions are always answers promptly and thoroughly. If an answer isn't known immediately, the team works to recreate my issue and figure out a solution.

Cons

Sometimes the form building is not the most intuitive - I would love to see that be a little more user friendly.

Patricia from Von Steuben HS

SmarterSelect is super easy to follow and it gives you plenty of different options.

Pros

I really enjoy the variety of options they have in terms of filling out an application, creating a survey, or even submitting an essay. There's all sorts of ways to create documents and make them user friendly for my students. The tracking system is great! They email you results and make it easier for you to gather information.

Cons

I would like if they included a back and forth on the pages. Easier to back out of certain parts of the creation of a document. I've had an issue with the reminder emails being sent directly to the spam folder but this may just be for our company.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2017

Hi Patricia, Many thanks for your review! I'll have our Support team reach out regarding your questions on back and forth. Thanks, Robert

June 2016

Jennifer from Psi Chi, The International Honor Society in Psychology

June 2016

Extensive use has been a success for our Society's programs

I have had a great experience going on 6 years now with Smarter Select. Someone is always available to answer my questions or help me with a problem. They would walk me through step by step if I needed it.

Pros

I like that I can build my own applications or start with an application someone else has already added to the library.

Cons

If only they would manage my programs for me!

Marilyn from AHIMA

Best in the Business - Scholar Select

Scholar Select is a very user friendly system that is easy to use for the administrators and applicants. It's saves time to use a program with a one-stop shop.

Pros

Easy to use for administrators and applicants

Kristyn from Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity

I have had great success with the capabilities of the platform and have received positive feedback.

Ease of use Provides the exact services and functions for desired outcomes Autoscoring Can be used for a variety of applications including scholarships, awards and volunteer position applications.

Pros

I like the ease of it' the software is very intuitive and simple to not only set up on the administrative side but also easy to use as the individual who is completing the application form. I also love the ability to auto score evaluations.

Cons

I would like to see the log in reset be a bit more simplified. I have had some issues with resetting my password, which was resolved through customer support, but I wish it was simpler to reset.

Lynnee from El Dorado Community Foundation

Feedback from El Dorado Community Foundation

We use the software for grants management. The software is very easy to "program", we had unsolicited positive feedback from applicants on how easy the process is and one of our evaluators told me she is actually enjoying evaluating!

Pros

Ease of use. Excellent customer support.

Cons

Developed for scholarships and I have to "work around" features to make it feel natural for grants.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied September 2016

Hi Lynnee, Thanks for your feedback! Reach out to our Support team for assistance regarding your Evaluator table comments as you can Group By Applicant and display the evaluator scores (Eval Table Settings) on the Evaluator table.

Pat from UNICO National Inc

UNICO National Scholarship Program

Smarter Select has been very helpful in the process and were always there to answer questions. Our overall experience was positive and we look forward to our continued partnership.

Pros

It allowed a small office to organize and track scholarship applicants by being paperless and to have the whole process done online. Allowed us to take in more applicants.

Cons

Sometimes the schools did not receive recommendation requests because of firewall issues. Students also started more than one application. Getting started was not an easy process uploading from a paper application to online.

Amy from The Community Foundation for Crawford County

Great software! Complex system yet relatively easy to use.

We use this software to manage our grant and scholarship awards. It has increased the efficiency of our process.

Pros

Cons

I really do not like that they don't offer a customer support phone number. I can't just pick up the phone for a quick question. I have to send an email and wait for a response. I also really do not like the fact that we are unable to delete any applications, even test applications.

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2017

Hi Amy, Thanks for your review! I'll have our Support team reach out with info on how to delete apps. Thanks, Robert

Sue from Union County Foundation

Very happy with SmarterSelect

SmarterSelect has allowed us to easily move from paper applications to a robust on-line process. It's a great value!

Pros

There's a lot of flexibility with this software. The providers continue to offer updates that add useful functionality improvements. If you need help, there's a great on-line resource as well as really quick responses from the helpdesk. Our users - both applicants and evaluators - comment about the ease of using this product.

Cons

When I'm updating a lot of application forms, it can get a bit cumbersome navigating back and forth from various lists.

Katie from Muskingum County Community Foundation

Definitely saves me time

It is very useful to be able to have all my applications in one place and to be able to extract data as I need it. I also like the fact that the system keeps all of my old applications and applicants in case I need to refer to them.

Pros

-Receptive to feedback -Fairly user friendly

Cons

-Applicants have to sign in in order to complete apps. Sometimes, I don't have a need for someone to sign in and would like to have the option to turn that off. -Sometimes have issues with App Rules and Common Applications

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2018

Hi Katie, Many thanks for your review! You can turn off the sign in option on the Program page by selecting Survey. Thanks, Robert

Caroline from PA Foundation

SmarterSelect largely meets our needs for our online scholarship application process.

Pros

It is very intuitive and user-friendly on the user (applicant/evaluator) end. Our applicants and evaluators did not report many issues (aside from some log in problems).

Cons

Reporting functionality seems fairly limited. I was unable to run a number of reports that would have been helpful - e.g., record of emails sent via "messages" feature and/or who received a broadcast message, current evaluator review status, etc. I also found it was not always intuitive/easy to use as an admin. There were a number of actions I wanted to take with no clear process/implementation tactic on the admin side; luckily, Support was able to come up with a workable (if somewhat convoluted) solution on the back end each time (props to Support for being very helpful).

Response from SmarterSelect

Replied November 2017

Hi Caroline, Many thanks for your review! I'll have the Support team reach out to you regarding our new Messages Log feature that was announced a few months ago. Regards, Robert

Angela from Chi Omega Foundation

The overall experience has been very positive.

Pros

Not having to deal with any paper copies, that evaluators can view from anywhere, getting emailed updates when an application has been submitted, being able to track emails to applicants, customer service is amazing, being able to copy applications from year to year and being able to view applicant information in Excel.

Cons

That it doesn't automatically send a reminder to applicants with pending or incomplete applications and not be able to easily set up an application to have recommenders download their letters.

Lynnee from El Dorado Community Foundation

Great value for the money

We are a small company with a small budget and SmarterSelect is perfect for us. It works for our purposes within our budget. It might not be the Cadillac but we can't afford the Cadillac. It was hard not having phone customer support in the beginning but they are very prompt on email support except on weekends.

Pros

Relatively easy to use, prompt customer support, continue to improve the product.

Cons

No phone support in emergencies, we use SS for both grants and scholarships and find that it is too scholarship-centric. I would recommend it more if it had some improvements for grants.