Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"When it was working it was great - a little cumbersome to use but it did the job."
  • icon"Kennel Connection is easy to use (very user friendly). I also like the fact that the software is always updating and making additions to better serve our customers."
  • icon"It had a lot of features and customer service was helpful."
  • icon"Despite buying it, it won't transfer to new owner when we sell kennel without paying hundreds all over again. Employees constantly complaining n about it."
  • icon"Over priced horrid customer service constant emails to pay them more money I am on here to find a better service for when I move and open my boarding kennel and it will not be kennel connection."
  • icon"You constantly have to go back & add additional information or click another button. Overall very cumbersome & hard to use/learn."

Have you used Kennel Connection and would like to share your experience with others?

All Kennel Connection Reviews

Drea

October 2022

Very Happy with Kennel Connection

I am very happy with the Kennel Connection Software. I’ve been a happy customer since 2013, even when I was only utilizing the desktop version. But the real game-changer for my business is the Live Access/Online Reservations System. It has saved me a lot of time that I used to devote to scheduling and bookkeeping, which as a single-person operator is huge. But most of all, I am extremely happy with their Customer Service. Knowing that I can call and have brainstorming ideas and questions answered regarding how I’m using their software to the best of its abilities and my own needs really makes it so much better.

Pros

The number one feature that I like the most is the Customer Service. But I also like the Live Access because it makes working remotely so mush easier. And then I realized how much time the Online Reservation System saved me. Wow.

Cons

I wish that the Live Access system would add more modules, such as Training; and add more functionality to the invoicing/credit card aspects of the software.

Reasons for choosing Kennel Connection

When I bought this business, the previous owners were using Microsoft Access, so the bar was very low.

Melanie

June 2022

Review from Playful Paws

I have been with kennel connection since we opened in 2018. All of the support from kennel connection has been wonderful. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has always been my go to girl. She has always made me feel welcome as a kennel connection client and makes me feel like my thoughts and concerns are important. I have never had to wait for something to be addressed. Everyone involved has always acted quickly to get any issuew resolved. All of the people I have contact with such as [SENSITIVE CONTENT] have been amazing the whole time I have had kennel connection. It has been a wonderful software program.

Pros

I enjoyed that it had all the required modules for my type of business and that it had a very hands on support system.

Cons

The pay portion of the software. Not being able to send invoices and have clients pay through live access. It would be nice for owners to see what they owe and for us to see who have open balances on our end.

Reasons for choosing Kennel Connection

It was a software program that had the modules specifically targeted for my type of business and the pricing for the modules was reasonable

Reasons for switching to Kennel Connection

I recently switched to another software program due to some missing elements that kennel connection did not have and the new company did. I have switched back to kennel connection due to some booking issues with the other software program. Kennel connection has informed me that they are working on getting some of these features into thier program to relieve some of the issues that I have with the software and make my business run smoother.

A

Developers need to step up their game

I've been using Kennel Connection for 7 years now, and I second most of what has already been said in the 1 and 2 star reviews. It is beyond irritating for a program to have the appearance of Windows/MS Office without the functionality of those programs. When a list contains multiple columns, why not make it possible to sort by those columns? There is a drop down menu that allows limited sorting (by time, run or pet's first or last names) but even there, you recieve inconsistent results. If I sort the boarding window by run, then print a feeding list, the feeding information will be sorted by run. If I sort the daycare window by run, then print a feeding list, the feeding information will be seemingly random, with no order at all that I have been able to discern. Exporting anything to Excel using the Crystal reports (so that you could potentially manipulate the order of the data) produces a discordant spreadsheet, seperating information that I need on one row into a scattered mess over several rows and columns, and making it impossible to try to use Excel to its best advantage either. The daily run time errors are irritating when you are trying to be efficient, even worse is that glitches to the software updates frequently result in lost data--random client's vaccination records just disappear entirely from thier accounts. Finally, the formatting requirements for generating many of the reports on this program are flawed. If I want to get a list of expired vaccinations for example, I can't get a list that shows me any booking with an expired vaccine, unless/until I input my best guess at a range for when the vaccinations in question might have expired. Why make me guess when the point of a software program is to achieve certainty? I'm very grateful for this forum to note these difficulties, thank you.

Pros

The windows that pop up with vaccination warnings or other notes when you book a dog into a service.

Cons

See my entire review above.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello, Not knowing which company you are from as I can't find your name in our database, I would first suggest you update to the latest version. I see some things in your note that have changed. You might also want to check out our training videos, they may be of some help to you. We have a library of videos on YouTube. If we can help you, please let us know by calling or e-mailing. We're here to help. We have a feature request forum so you can request features, a trainer on staff, a full Knowledgebase of articles and much more to assist our customers. Again, please give us a call or send an e-mail if we can be of assistance. Thank you!

Replied November 2016

Suzan

Industry: Farming

August 2022

One of the best changes we have engaged in this year

I have been using KC for 22 years and always been impressed with any contact made with customer service! Which has honestly been very little! The program does much more that we have even taken the time to learn - but we are excited to use Access Live and not even having launched it yet to the public I have saved time today!! I am confident that this is a game changer - will save me money and time !

Pros

I am very happy with the ability of the client to request their reservation - choose their services, upload their vaccinations. They can now log in and confirm their appointments - saving me from phone calls.

Cons

so far I have not found one thing that I dislike or like least - we are pumped about it all!

Reasons for choosing Kennel Connection

Reading reviews from other people in the industry and hearing them complain about issues - I have never had an issue with KC so did not even consider changing

Delaney

Industry: Facilities Services

June 2022

Kennel Connections is great and easy to use

It keeps track of the vaccines that you require, your able to customize most of the aspects of it. The price is good for what you get.

Pros

I like having the availability calendar. Overall it is a very simple and easy software to use.

Cons

I only wish I was able to get on it on an iPad or tablet

Reasons for choosing Kennel Connection

Pricing and the customer service is better. Thank you Rick!

Reasons for switching to Kennel Connection

It was too complicated, had too many features that I didn't need and even the basic plan was expensive and didn't give me what I did need.

Amber

Industry: Farming

Easy & Painless to use!

Been using KC for over 19 years! Support is ALWAYS QUICK to help & super easy to work with. We would like it to be a bit more online friendly, but overall this IS the best Kennel Software out there. We have tried them ALL, & KC by far suits our HUGE facility the best!

Pros

Very easy to use interface. Easy to train employees to use quickly. Customer Service & support is EXCELLENT & makes us love KC even more

Cons

The online portal needs improvement, which I know is in the works, but clients NEED online interaction Please make is SQUARE compatible!! PLEASE!

Ease of use

Catherine

Too much of a good thing

Tough to navigate - unfriendly interface - outdated design and functionality. We used it just over a year and tried to get over these issues but after staff changes and facing re-train we gave up and changed - also didn't want to have to pay the hi annual support fees and no way can run this without support. It does everything you ever imagine and lots of things I'm sure most would never use - just discovering all it can do is a daunting task in itself. You need to be a detail techy type to love this product.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hi Catherine, All the features in Kennel Connection were added by customer request. Since the industry is run differently from shop to shop, we have added in many things that you may never use, but someone else needs. We have KC7 coming out soon with over 200 new customer requested features. I'm not sure if you are aware, but we do have training videos available to help train staff, but the basics can be taught in a half hour training session which we offer free upon purchase. Our support fees are the same as, or in some cases, lower than other desktop software companies. Have a great day!

Replied February 2017

Catherine

Time used: Free Trial

February 2016

Our Love-Hate Relationship

It does everything you could ever imagine or need and then some. Figuring it out can be tricky - trying to train part-time staff to use it very difficult. Incredibly detailed and good run speed and functionality but big learning curve to get good at it and navigate from place to place quickly. Overall look not real user friendly and can feel chunky and awkward to get around but to support the great detail they provide maybe it needs to be this way. We've only been using it for 6 months and still many features we are not using and likely never will. Price is reasonable for the complexity but I can't imagine ever not having the annual support program. Upgrades come every few months it seems and couple times I've needed help from customer service and they were great. Have to go thru proper channels but have even got help on weekend once when we needed it. Training videos and support articles are very good too. As we are located in rural area and internet signal not 100% reliable we are bit nervous about cloud based software - we demo'd several different programs prior to purchase and this was by far the best choice for installed software.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello Catherine, Thank you for your review. I hope you have taken advantage of the free training upon purchase and also the training videos. There is a drag and drop element that people tend to miss without watching our training videos or doing some training. I hope you were able to learn the easiest way to get around in the software. There are a lot of options in the software because we have over 5,000 customers and many requests to add in features. Most will find they don't need some of those features, but hopefully you can delve into the software when you have time and find more features that would be helpful to you. If you haven't figured out the drag and drop features and quicker ways to get around in the software, please let me know and I'll help you out. (jenn@bluecrystalsoftware.com) Thank you again and thank you for choosing Kennel Connection!

Replied February 2016

Katherine

November 2022

KC in Knoxville kennel

Customer support is excellent!

Pros

We purchased the kennel in March 2022 and it already has KC. We upgraded to the platinum package and are overall pleased with the software. Pay by text was just added and is a feature we were extremely interested in!

Cons

There are some functions that we would like that are still in development. We are willing to wait.Would like a different POS system that is easier for the customers to use.

Lauri

September 2022

Kennel Connections Used for Boarding and Training Facility

Customer support has always been pleasant and helpful.

Pros

Automatic emailing and ease of booking boarding.

Cons

Would like to be able to view more than 1 week in Run at a Glance. Cannot start viewing this on the day that I want.

Mike

Overall it has been great. We use it strictly for boarding and daycare.

More than anything customer support.

Pros

I like that they are continually making improvements and updates. I believe this is based on user input. I like the desktop version as we have intermittent and long term (over a day) Internet outrages and we can continue to work. Customer support, knowledge base, and training videos seem to be current. We don't need to tweak our processes to meet the software process. It goes with our flow. I look at other software about once a year and Kennel Connection seems to be the best so far.

Cons

There are 2 items that I wished the software would allow. One item would is one that I would leave over. The first is the amount of warning windows that pop up. I know it isn't this way, but it feels like every time we navigate through a booking there is a window that asks if we are sure we want to do that function. I can see where it would be helpful, but the ability to turn it off like vaccination warnings would be great. The one item I would leave over if another company provided it is custom reports. I would LOVE to run a report that tells me which category of pets (we charge by weight) provides the most revenue. As an example if I changed the weight category instead of raising prices how would that look? I may make more money by changing weight class than upping the charges.

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Hello Mike, thank you for the review! There are some pop-ups that you can turn off but many of them are to help the customer avoid making a mistake. If you have suggestions for ones you'd like to be able to turn off, feel free to suggest them. We also offer customizations and custom reports. If you're interested, please call the office or e-mail me at jenn@bluecrystalsoftware.com Thank you again, we appreciate your business!

Replied September 2017

Great software and support!

We have been using Kennel Connection for 10 years. Started with KC6 with one location to now using KC7 with multi-facilty module with 2 locations. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team are a pleasure to work with and always seem to resolve issues we encounter very quickly. The online service portal allows easy upload of data files for analysis and repair and allows us to maintain minimal interruptions to our business when an issue is discovered. The software itself has seen many changes and features added over the past few years and confirms their commitment to ensure it meets our needs

Pros

Overall the software works well for Daycare, Boarding, Grooming, Training and other services. The software is quite flexible once you complete the training period. While the core software is not easy to learn and navigate, the addition of the Live Access module has significantly overcome this. The integration between all the modules listed above is seamless and works amazingly well with multi-locations. The ability to sync clients and packages/accounts between the locations allows customers to attend any of our locations knowing their information and credits are avaliable.

Cons

As a multi location facility the one shortfall in the software is the lack of thriv Live Access module for multi-location facilities. However we have Been advised this is in development. The other shortfall is the inability to create custom reports.

Becky

Amazingly easy program!

great organization

Pros

We have been using KC since 2002!- could not be happier with customer service and easy of use- I have never been computer savy and have never had a problem or complaint that customer service is not quick to explain or help with. We have a good size staff and all are quick to learn on this user friendly, easy to navigate system.We use the online version and have been very impressed with it, despite not having the greatest internet service- we have a pickup and delivery service and the online system is very helpful to access remotely. Also, nice to be able to access and work on from home. I have seen some complaints about pop up warnings, ect- these are all things that can be turned on/off as you feel they are needed- most of them we do not use- but some are extremely helpful (I do like the suggestion of having a pet name show in red if they have a warning tho) - but in general- KC gives us everything we need and more to operate an active boarding, daycare and grooming business. Could not be happier!- wish they would develope a similar program for the equestrian industry!!

Cons

not much to say as far as cons go- we use the online version and the cost seems a bit high, but not sure how I would function without it !

Response from Blue Crystal Software

Thank you for your review and your business, Becky! We appreciate it.

Replied January 2018

Lisa

Easy program

My experience with KC has been a good one. I'm old school, I like that I can keep it simple and personal or add on modules if needed. CSR in customer service has helped me tremendously over the years. Thanks !

Pros

I find this program very easy to use. Although, I'm only using a small fraction of what this software is capable of, I like the simplicity of it. I have been with KC since the 90's and have had no major issues. The price seems very reasonable. I don't have all of the extra modules that are offered at an additional price, however. I like that I only pay for the ones I want to use.

Cons

I was told back in 1994 or 1995 when this program was first purchased that I would have lifetime support. I'm finding that support harder to get lately. Perhaps because I am using 2017's model. I am someone that uses maybe 5% of what this program has to offer so updating every year-two years doesn't make sense. I don't use the benefits of updated systems and I don't think they change all that much to warrant an upgrade.

Christina

Industry: Veterinary

Great Software and Company

Love it They are always available to help. They always fix any problems that may arise in the software.

Pros

Cons

Since I have been using kennel connection for 20 years, integration was not an issue for me. However, the thing I dislike the most would be the lack of customization a lot of areas.

more user friendly