All Basecamp Reviews

Reviewed December 2020

We use it every day!

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2021

I always come back to Basecamp

We have three sites. What Basecamp has provided is the unification of messages and tasks across all sites. It has added transparency that is invaluable to all of our team. We can keep important documents. Onboarding videos and other useful information. No more scraps of paper or post-it notes on peoples desks. It provides real accountability for everyone on the team. So simple to use which means 100% user adoption. Everyone loves Basecamp and we have tried every PM software out there. Basecamp is the best in the business!

PROS

When you first start using basecamp, two things strike you the most. It’s clean super tight interface and the lack of some common functions. I see both of these things as a positive. This might seem odd but you soon realise that the makers at Basecamp are uncompromising in their relentless pursuit of keeping you efficient. No bloat. No complication. These all adds up to adoption by the whole team. Which for me is the most important thing. You can have a perfect project management system, but if no one uses it. It’s useless. Basecamp’s gets everything on the same page.

CONS

I would love the app to give you persistent reminders for tasks! Snooze for 5 mins etc.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

It had everything we needed and nothing we didn't.

Kevin

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed May 2021

Basecamp for Teams

We have started and completed close to 150 projects in Basecamp; crossing every department in our organization. It has helped us keep people informed, keep tasks on target, and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner. Their help system is very detailed. It seems like most reviewers just can not find it. https://3.basecamp-help.com/ We are very pleased with the product, but we want to see more enhancements coming, and more often. The product desperately needs sublists, priorities, milestones, and very tight integration with Office 365. We would also like to see the use of templates. Anything from planning a canoe trip to launching a new retail store would be very helpful. Overall, it is a great product, but we may outgrow it if enhancements are not added. If some of these features do not come soon, it may drive long-standing customers away from the product.

PROS

We have been using Basecamp for 7 years now. What we liked at first was the simple design and speed at which you can learn the product. You can be up, running and have a project underway in less than 10 minutes. It checked all the boxes initially. Simple to use, ability to create project groups and associated tasks, assign users, and dates, and attach files. In Basecamp 3 they added grouped tasks within the parent list, and the ability to assign multiple people to a single task.

CONS

Basecamp needs sublists, priorities, and milstones. They also need to build a native integration completely into Office 365. Instead of fighting it, embrace Office 365 Sharepoint, Onedrive, and Teams.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was far simpler to use, less expensive, had all the features we needed, and none that we didn't. We just needed a simple to use, and well-thought-out management tool.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Prior to switching the company used a very simple excel list. Excel was too static and not the ideal use of the product.

war

Consumer Goods, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Basecamp service is deplorable

PROS

I have nothing good to say about basecamp.

CONS

customer service is weak. I asked to cancel the service. I have been waiting 6 months

Reviewed February 2024

Basecamp pros and cons

PROS

I really like how easy it is to create posts and tag others to look at them - we use it a lot for internal communication about clients so having tags available is very useful.

CONS

I don't love that there is not a more centralized way to chat with coworkers, or that there isn't a great way to organize multiple chunks of projects.

Maszni

Entertainment, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Good software for building project management

I mainly use it to collaborating on project with my team members which working on the other branches. We can communicate and work on the same task in real-time and making the project collaboration process very effective.

PROS

The feature and menu is perfectly placed in the software dashboard. I can easily find the tools that i need really fast and that has speed up my work progress. All my project and the progress can be tracked by the visual percentage thus make it more easier to know the project level of completion.

CONS

Basecamp tools for task management is somewhat lacking because there are no tools to managing a complex project that need many resources for the project. The software dashboard and overall design is too old and very unappealing compared to other software that has more modern looking software design.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I have using the Asana trial period, and Basecamp has more to give than Asana and fraction the cost.

Casey

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2023

The ultimate collab

Basecamp keeps our team moving on time, step by step. We're more efficient and thorough, and we don't miss any details.

PROS

One thing that's really nice about Basecamp is that the monthly price is the same no matter how many usersthe account will need. This means it's much more affordable especially for larger teams or companies. There's also a version of Basecamp that can be used for free, incase you'd like to try it out first.Setting up Basecamp was almost effortless. The Ul is so intuitive and helpful. Integrating Basecamp with other services is supported and may be done quickly without a complicated setup. Guest accounts are available and they add flexibility. Basecamp keeps all team members updated on events, deadlines, announcements, approvals, etc. Teams can manage projects, tasks, and ideas in one platform.It's looking to be the best collaboration app I've had.

CONS

I'm disappointed to see that time tracking and Gantt charts were not included, however I still think we're thriving with Basecamp. I'd also like to be able to leave our team communication app behind and only use Basecamp.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Zoho projects lacked proper tools and customer support.

Jason

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Making project management easier

Overall, Basecamp is a solid product that I use almost daily to manage projects. I haven't had any major issues with the software but would like to be able to easily reference tips and tricks to improve my workflow.

PROS

The ability to collaborate with other people on my team on task management is critical to making sure the work is done on time. Basecamp also allows me to communicate with clients and vendors on project specifics tasks and goals which means less time writing emails and more time getting things accomplished.

CONS

The user interface is a little too bare-bones, and things aren't always intuitive. I would like to see more tips on how to set projects up and manage them properly.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

More clients were using basecamp already.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I had more clients that were using Basecamp, so it made sense to be on the same platform as them.

Reviewed September 2023

Basecamp Takes Your Team to the Summit!

Basecamp is the gold standard for teams that have a high value on time and project/task management!

PROS

Basecamp has a lot of great tools and features "out of the box" that make project/task management easily done while setting clear prioritize to maximize productivity.

CONS

There isn't much to put here! The biggest challenge was internal adoption and use, which was no issue once they got to know the lay of the land in Basecamp.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

More functionality and the tools we needed, built in.

Tichaona Redemptor

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Flexible Event Creation platform

My overall experience with Basecamp has been quite positive! Basecamp’s project management features streamline workflows, enhance communication, and keep projects on track. It’s a powerful toolkit for modern teams!

PROS

Basecamp provides a single, organized space for all project-related activities. Whether it’s discussions, tasks, files, or schedules, everything resides within a project’s dedicated page.

CONS

For new users, Basecamp’s interface can be a bit overwhelming initially. The abundance of features and options might take some time to get used to.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

I am still in the proses of checking which software will be friends

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Checking out my options to run platforms for other companies as well

Reviewed August 2023

Task management

Helped me in project management and other quality assurance role with my team members for and effective outcome

PROS

Base camp helps in task management,chat real time within team members,truck project and also notify users or team of any project to be done

CONS

It is okay to use just need time to understand and navigate through the interface for effective collaboration

Reason for choosing Basecamp

It’s okay he best to use for a project management

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Figured that basecamp is much more easier to use with it advantage to the firm

Lawrence

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2019

The hub for all great quality projects

Our experience with Basecamp has been very positive. It has been a greatly important tool for the management of efficient and timely projects. The features within Basecamp have been positively used by the vast majority of our clients and create a really collaborative and team-like feel around the projects.

PROS

The best thing about Basecamp is that it provides a secure and easily accessible central hub for your project. It is easy to invite all key project stakeholders and has features that allow for quick and easy discussion around the project, easy communications of important notices and action points and acts as a central storage place that gives everyone oversight to essential project documents and files. Basecamp also provides an accurate project timeline based around the actions of the individuals who use it, meaning that assists with project traceability and track. In addition it will also send automated reminders to the inboxes of those registered which is a fantastic feature for keeping on top of all project details. These reminder emails can be customised to specific individuals which means you can easily reach/remind/engage with the action point owner.

CONS

The main frustration with Basecamp is the updating of personnel profiles when the original creator has left the company. For example, I have needed to update the job titles and email addresses associated with people for accounts I have inherited after my predecessor has left the company. However, this action is blocked as I was not the original creator which was highly frustrating.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

We chose Basecamp due to it's referenceability with a lot of US businesses, as the majority of our clients are US-based. We also preferred the look and feel of the tool when we took out a trial period.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2020

Basecamp is the best all user portal!

Our team has always been collaborative but with Basecamp used as a tool, we have been able to increase our collaborative spirit. In addition, we have been able to accomplish projects and tasks faster because it gives us a way to share which piece we are working on and thus eliminating duplication.

PROS

I love Basecamp! I think it is a great software for keeping tabs on projects and people you work with. It is a collaborative space for users to update each other on what parts of the project they are working on or finishing up. It gives our team the balance needed to ensure no one is working on the same thing or on overlapping projects. It has been a huge asset and we have all loved watching the progression of projects and campaigns we are working on. It has many settings so you can really set it up based on how your team would best thrive.

CONS

One con is that this product could easily turn into a micromanaging tool for bad managers and leaders. When utilized properly it will do wonders for your team but if overused it could be a huge pain point and stressor for employees. They allow an option to have your team give a daily summary of their tasks and I could easily see that going wrong if used by the wrong manager.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

I have previously used OneDrive and I think it could have been a great tool for our team but Basecamp is just better structured. OneDrive has limitless possibilities I think and Basecamp has a more structured layout that makes it easier for me as a supervisor to control and shape to best fit my team.

Bethany

Publishing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

My, well, base camp for client communications!

I create an individual Basecamp project for each of my clients to handle communication, deadlines, and file-sharing. Basecamp is the only project management software I've found that really excels at being used in a client-facing manner. I can get clients set up within minutes without confusing or overwhelming them.

PROS

My use of Basecamp is unique in that I personally don't need project management software as much as a client communication interface, and Basecamp is perfect for that! My work requires me to implement deadlines for both my team and my clients, and Basecamp allows me to clearly communicate that entire timeline while keeping all files and communication in one place. It really is a perfect "home base"!

CONS

I'd love to be able to customize which projects we receive updates on! Instead of just choosing email updates or no email updates, it would be great to have a newsfeed of only starred projects or even the ability to designate and filter by role within a project. I also feel that the jump between Basecamp Personal and Basecamp Business is a bit too stark. I'd love to see, say, a Basecamp Entrepreneur option in between aimed at companies that don't need unlimited features and can't afford the $99 monthly price point. Basecamp 2's "10 projects for $20/month" package would be an ideal model!

Reason for choosing Basecamp

While I preferred the pricing structure of the alternative products, Basecamp can't be beaten in terms of client friendliness.

Gavin

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Basecamp gives you a lot of bang for the buck

PROS

Basecamp does almost everything we need to do, with the ability to use the APIs we've managed to extend Basecamp to work with our internal and some external systems. Every single project is tracked and managed via the app, our project hours are recorded against each project using the API and we can report on these for costings at any point. There are more competent project management software packages out there, but all of these charge per user and would be a lot more expensive.

CONS

There's a few small features missing, one of these is project management across multiple projects, we're not able to produce GANNT charts or assign people to projects with working hours to ensure the member of staff isn't overloaded. This is minor overall but would definitely be something great to have.

Mainly due to cost.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Basecamp gave us more flexibility and at a lower cost than Trello.

Ross

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2018

The Best "Pick Up and Get Going" Task Manager

Basecamp is where we keep all of our assignments and initiatives, and we've become diligent about not letting any lists or to-dos creep outside the system. This relies heavily on managing the project list carefully and making sure everything has its place. There are not guide-rails to keep you from placing a task in the "wrong" place - fortunately you can move tasks all around if someone puts something in an incorrect place. It's important that you define what Projects exist and create a framework for where assignments should go. A frequent complaint we hear around the office is "I don't know where to put this" so it's important that you outline your project structure and communicate it clearly. If you can nominate a gate-keeper to watch over the system organization, Basecamp can be a very effective way to manage all assignments across an organization and allow people to simply see what's due, when, with ease.

PROS

Basecamp requires very little setup and there are very few barriers to overcome to get in and start making projects and tasks. It can very very scalable in terms of users and project count, and it's approach to To-do Lists and Tasks makes project organization fairly straight-forward. At it's core, making tasks is as easy as choosing a place to put them, naming them, and assigning them. With simple reports, users can view their tasks across all projects and start tackling them. If you want to take things a little bit deeper, you can assign mutiple people to tasks, set due dates, and loop other people into the tasks for conversations.

CONS

Basecamp still has some key missing features that create workflow issues every now and then. You can create recurring events, but not recurring to-dos. So, for example, if you want to create a "Close Accounting Books" to-do and assign it to a user to be finished each month by the 15th, there is not currently support for that. There's also no built-in gannt views, although they continue to innovate project management with new simpler ideas such as the "Hill Chart" which i'm a fan of. A lot of the lack of complex features comes from their desire to carefully curate features to keep the application from ballooning into a beast that's unwieldy and hard to learn.

Maryellen

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2019

For managing details and timelines for complex projects

I am a fundraiser, and often - OFTEN - have several big fundraising projects in preparation at the same time. Before Basecamp, it was a nightmare to keep all of the details for each event separate and clear, without dropping the ball on some important responsibilities. Unfortunately, failing to take care of an important detail on any of these events can be devastating, so I could barely sleep because of the stress of worrying about where I was on each project. Also, since I often use some of the same vendors (caterers, tent rental, hotel space) it was hard to remember if I had talked to them about each individual event, and had all of my facts straight for each individual event. Basecamp makes it possible to track each and every event carefully, set up connecting emails to keep everyone informed, and makes it very easy to set deadlines, timers, and reminders for every important goal and part of the event. It took an entire weekend to set up all of the lists, timelines, and connections needed within Basecamp for the eight complex fundraising events I had on my calendar when I first set up in Basecamp. But after that weekend, I slept better than I had in months because everything was organized, I could see in a few seconds exactly what was on my "To-do" list for each day, each week, and up until the day or the event, as well as what I was waiting for from anyone else. This program is certainly an expense. But it gave me incredible peace of mind.

PROS

It is so well integrated. For example, taking one action will also notify several team members who need to know about that action without me having to send numerous emails. The software makes it possible to track several or many projects with dozens of people without losing a step or forgetting anything.

CONS

A bit of a learning curve to get started, but technical support is good, and the program quickly becomes intuitive. The other members of your team - not only your staff, but your client - must also be willing to learn Basecamp. On the other hand, once they do, they will love it - and you!

Christopher

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2019

We would be a Mess without It

Despite my complaint about Discussions, I REALLY love this product and honestly cant' see how we could keep organized with the complexity of our projects without it. I know there are other products that do similar things in different ways, but you guys hit perfectly on providing exactly the functionality we need without a lot of extra fluff. We use Basecamp B2 BTW and not B3 because we don't need all the additional fluff of B3. We have other products to handle chat (like Skype etc) so there was nothing about B3 that we needed. WE LOVE BASECAMP B2 !!!

PROS

I love the ease of use, and the how it allows us to keep very complex projects organized via the To-dos etc. I love the fact it lets our teams collaborate in a single location and keep everything related to a project organized. (We use Basecamp B2 FYI)

CONS

DISCUSSIONS. If I had a way to turn off the ability to start a new discussion I would. I like the fact the discussion area shows the chronological listing of activities, but I DO NOT like the concept of a discussion. Everything we do in Basecamp is in the TO-DO section because you can assign ownership and due dates. A DISCUSSION on the other hand, cannot be assigned to someone or a date added. Anything we need to discuss, can be done inside a specific TO-DO item and at the point someone needs to take action it can then be assigned to someone for ownership. A discussion without the ability to assign ownership and a time element is Just a bunch of talking and worthless to a business. I'm also continually having customers go out there and open new discussions when they want something instead of opening a to-do because discussions are the first thing they see. If I could turn off the ability to open a new discussion I would. Because of the issue I just mentioned, it would be VERY HELPFUL i