Box

Box Reviews

RATING:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Great to securely store and share files, ease of use, customer service is excellent, very niche features, Value for money."
  • icon"A great place to keep all your files, good for collaboration between multiple employees, recommend using the box sync app to quickly move files around with ease."
  • icon"It's easy to set up, and the fact that it has a desktop version is great. The drag-and-drop ability is intuitive and exactly what a user would expect."
  • icon"Box can crash randomly and can be a bit confusing to use for first time users."
  • icon"I have a problem that when i upload sometimes it stops and doesn’t go on, so i have to cancel and upload again."
  • icon"There is something very weird when I access Box with multiple devices, that it fails to automatically sync between them. It has caused a great deal of trouble for me."

Have you used Box and would like to share your experience with others?

All Box Reviews

1-25 of 3,058 Reviews

Anne

Company size: 5,001 - 10,000 employees

Easy to use document storage

Zahra

Stable Storage Solution

Its good, overall i have no complaints.

Pros

Its a stable solution. The free plan was good but we moved to Business because that's what we needed it for. So the mobile apps are good, desktop sync is instant and there are no hiccups involving security, privacy, sync, uploads and management

Cons

You can't really move your main folder of storage once it has been set up. I initially wanted it on Drive D, now I wish to move it, but Box doesn't allow it. I will need to uninstall and then reinstall the whole damn thing for the shift to take place. Dropbox didnt have this problem. Yes I use both.

Reasons for choosing Box

Got free 50GB initially and then onwards it just stuck with us:) OneDrive seemed expensive too, but now we have Office 365 so OneDrive is part of it.

Dropbox is expensive

October 2022

Pros

Easy to use, easy to add users and give access. Setup was ok.

Cons

Not as easy to use as other software storage that we use. But we do use this frequently for one of our departments .

Jill

September 2022

Box is serving as our One Source for all Collaborative Work

Box has been a positive and timely addition to the tools we use. We moved to Box just prior to the pandemic and it has become a staple for our now hybrid workteams.

Pros

Documents are easily stored and shared through our disbursed team. Having Box eliminates the need to keep local copies of important documents and allow for better control of versions. We have moved all of our Work Instructions and forms to Box for use within our Finance Team and for use by all company members. You can restrict access to ensure only those who need access can have it.

Cons

One thing it took us a while to get the hang of, is locking a shared document while we are updating it. If you don't lock the document, multiple people can access it and update it at the same time. Only upon saving would the team members learn that that we now have multiple copies of the same document and that none of them would be accurate.

Reasons for switching to Box

Box had a better user interface. It seemed more stable and we could share box links with parties outside our organization, to allow for better document control.

Maheva

Industry: Renewables & Environment

September 2022

Good archiving and document sharing tools that enable collaborative work

Easy system to use. Good search and document sharing function. The sync function is a bit clunky and requires some thinking to identify which document we want/need to sync. The various sharing/copying/moving options are not really intuitive and requires a bit of a learning curve.

Pros

Ability to share big documents for collaborative works. Ability to classify documents easily using folders, enabling the user to invite collaborators to contributes to specific work areas/topics/documents

Cons

The sync function could be inproved: some documents may takes a long time getting synced, delaying collaborative work.

Reasons for switching to Box

We needed a system that allowed for better collaboration and improved archiving and search systems enabling efficient document discoverability

Patricia

Industry: Information Services

November 2022

Una nube infinita de oportunidades

Alucinante y constructora de verdaderas redes de producción de contenido colaborativo. En la práctica podemos evideciar todo lo que ofrece el software en la teoría.

Pros

Quitarme la preocupación por la cantidad y las características del contenido compartido. La posibilidad de incluir archivos de todos los estilos, y hasta imágenes 3D por un cliente que necesitaba añadir leyendas a una cantidad de imágenes de tomografías médicas.

Cons

No veo ningún contra porque todo lo que ofrece son posibilidades. Porque hasta podemos evitar el tema de la invitación para visualizar contenidos si requerimos una colaboración entre el equipo.

Deborah Susana

Industry: Warehousing

November 2022

Facilidad de uso

Mi experiencia es bastante buena superó mis expectativas es muy completo este software y muy concreto en cuanto a sus herramientas.

Pros

Poder llevar mi información financiera y mi registros me satisface demasiado y sobre todo la comodidad de poder acceder disde mi celular o tablet.

Cons

Un poco el manejo de el software pero fuera de ese aspecto es muy bueno y útil si lo recomiendo.

Egor

October 2022

Good storage and file sharing alternative

Pros

Great UI! Pro team behind it! Has a desktop app for Mac. Basically drag and drop operation Free version is as good as paid, The only limitation is the storage size..

Cons

It is a very professionally designed app/cloud storage whether you use a free or a paid version.

Ali

Transfer and share files easily and securely in the cloud

One of the first options in transferring our files and offering in the list of required and recommended items to companies and organizations that we consult. If you have different meetings and need different files in the meetings, safely create a secure cloud space of your files in the box because one day it will come in handy. Having a backup on the secure cloud storage is always life-saving, and experience has shown that floppy disks, CDs, and flash drives and computer headers are not enough for a successful business.

Pros

I like the simplicity and good features and the appropriate speed of Box platform, you can easily transfer files from any device to the cloud storage space of the box. I like its speed and security, you will not feel any strangeness with the software. E-Signature make it more secure and Integration with lot of apps is wonderful. The cost and price is very reasonable and economical compared to the many features it provides to the user.‌ Data Loss Protection is great.

Cons

The graphic design of the dashboard should be simpler and more tangible and can be changed to the liking of the admin, Also a feature in the dashboard should be added to display the status of shared files and folders, and the latest status of views and downloads to be clearly and simply visible to the admin.

Reasons for choosing Box

Having a powerful and secure tool with modern features and at the same time easy to use for storing Documents and data in the cloud with affordable price

Reasons for switching to Box

We were looking for more features and less cost to store information

Kalina

Very straightforward

I use Box Sync pretty much for two purposes, though perhaps they're not the target use cases the developers had in mind! 1) I use it to send files to myself between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, and it's a convenient way to share large files between the two. For small files, I often use email, but that has size limits. With Box, I can just upload a file on my laptop, then immediately go to my Desktop and download it. Easy peasy! It's even more convenient than using a flash drive. 2) I use it for sharing collaborative files, i.e. PowerPoint presentations that I'm giving with multiple presenters. It's not perfect, but it's the best way that I've found for keeping large PPTs, with multiple presenters, in sync (when I want to use PowerPoint and not Google Slides). I coordinate with the other people so that only one of us is working at a time, and when the one person is done and their changes are uploaded, the next person can take a turn at making edits. PowerPoint does have "auto-sync" functionality but I've found that using this Box method is even better!

Pros

The software is very straightforward to use. It's a simple interface. In its most basic form, it's just a place you can upload, download, and share files. If you are a (slightly) more advanced user, you can set up "Box Sync" so that a folder on your computer automatically syncs with Box. This is awesome to use as an automatic backup!

Cons

There's not much to dislike, but if I had to nitpick, it takes too menu menus and clicks to do things like (1) delete a file, (2) share a file, and (3) sync a file/folder. These are pretty much the only three things that I ever want to do, but they are hidden behind like 3-4 clicks and menu options.

Reasons for switching to Box

I made the switch because my work provides free Box accounts to employees. It's a very similar concept to Dropbox, I don't think I would have made the switch by myself, and I honestly don't think there is much difference between the two products.

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Reasons for choosing Box

OneDrive is connected with my Office 365 subscription and I might lose my documents if I switch account. Dropbox has some document conflicts and uploads are extremely slow with DSL.

Reasons for switching to Box

Uploads/Downloads are faster than the Dropbox paid Business Account and you avoid document conflicts you have with Dropbox. BOX is much better in that case.

Industry: Publishing

Can't imagine running our business without Box

We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

Reasons for switching to Box

As outlined earlier, Dropbox's lack of file-level permissions allowed a company underling to wipe out the entire storage area of our company. After that mishap we considered using NAS only, but we really wanted cloud redundancy as well as local files. Box solved all of our problems that Dropbox presented.

10/10 File Sharing Solution - Internal and External

It has been excellent - the customer service is also fast if there are any outages (very rare) affecting our uploads/syncing. It has saved us numerous amounts of bandwidth and has encouraged our employees to save files to Box for redundancy purposes and not to store items directly on their desktop.

Pros

The ease of use of spinning up Box folders and collaborating among internal employees or external clients/customers. The granular permission settings within each folder allow the administrator ("owner" or "co-owner") help regulate privileges from editing, to downloading, and reading which is a great tool when looking to share with multiple parties at different levels. We stopped sending attachments via e-mail (not secure) and simply use Box now to point toward a Link where the file is located. If you don't have access to the link, you are unable to see the file. Our employees and customers love this feature and it keeps everyone involved and access privileges in check.

Cons

When using Box Drive, it can be a bit slow to sync when creating new folders, or modifying file names, directly on the desktop application (recommend using the Box web site), however, this is extremely minor. we have had many successes using Box and have not even considered exploring any other solutions for over 5 years.

Reasons for choosing Box

Pricing, overall security, and vendor demonstration

Excellent document storage & management

Box empowered us to build a robust document repository that makes it simple for anyone on our team to find the files they're looking for.

Pros

Box has made our lives a million times easier by empowering us to store, organize, and share files of all types. We save our company assets, photos, Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel docs, PDFs, etc in various folders. We love the ability to tag files so we can find them easily. The document sharing features are excellent. I especially like the preview feature (it's much better than Google Drive's preview option).

Cons

My biggest complaint about Box isn't Box's fault – it's my company's settings. My company chose to have shared file links expire after about 30 days, which is a pain in the neck sometimes.

Reasons for choosing Box

Box was superior in how files were stored & shared.

Reasons for switching to Box

Box has a superior interface for storing & previewing non-Google files (ex. Microsoft Powerpoints).

Majeed Mohammed

allows me to easily access all the files I need to be productive on the go

Box has really helped us to keep up our productivity. My team originally only used Box for file storage purposes, but remote working forced by the pandemic gave us a unique opportunity to further explore all the different ways we could apply Box; and boy, have we been blown away. From facilitating team collaboration seamlessly to keeping detailed audit trails of file access, Box has been a devine tool to have in these times.

Pros

Of all the amazing features Box offers, real time synchronization has been one of the most critical ones that have allowed me and my team to maintain optimal productivity during this forced period of remote work. Ease of file sharing, and access control management come in as close second favorite benefits of Box.

Cons

We usually have to open files of interest to confirm they are the right ones. And with images or other forms of visual files, where proper file naming is typically not observed, a preview panel might come in handy

Reasons for switching to Box

Because Box offered the more streamlined and secure alternative for both file storage and sharing.

Desiree

Great Product / Slightly Too Pricey for Individuals

Overall, I like Box. Better than Dropbox....maybe even better than pCloud as their UI is a bit dated and odd?...

Pros

It does offer 10GB of storage for free versus Dropbox only offering 2GB for free.

Cons

The only next option is the 100GB plan and it's $10 a month whereas Google One offer the same 100GB plan for only $1.99 a month. Now, I realize the better security and privacy potentially offered with Box versus a "big brother" such as Google is what could warrant an increased price. However, I'm not sure it needs to increase that much. Plus, it's confusing how they have an indicudual pro plan for $10 a month and 100GB and then a starter business plan with the same storage for $5 a month. I don't understand that and I think things should be more clear and make more sense. Also, I'm having issues with Box Sync not working on my laptop. It just won't sync anymore other than the initial sync. I didn't feel like messing with it or dealing with customer service so I just uninstalled it from my laptop.

Reasons for choosing Box

Well, I'm using Box in conjunction with Google and pCloud. I'm still trying to decide for sure which of the two (Box or pCloud) I will permanently use to transfer ALL of my data (pics and files) away from Google Drive and Google One onto one of these two platforms. pCloud does offer a huge storage option for a very good price so Box may want to look at that. They also offer security and privacy so I would think they are a very viable competitor to Box.

Reasons for switching to Box

Dropbox just didn't offer enough storage.

Ricky

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Robust Cloud Base System

We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section. 2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons. 3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want. 4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis. 5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily. 2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster. 3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files. 4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Oscar