• Pros

• "It is so easy to use, so simple to pick up anywhere and update, and easy enough for anyone to view and understand! :)"

• "It has a clear layout and is very easy to use "

• "- Easy of use - Performance - Interface - Good visibility into my resources and their load"

• Cons

• "It can feel a little clunky at times and buggy. For the most part it is ok, but some of the processes could be easier and more flexible in how a user can interact with them."

• "It can begin to get a little bit laggy when there are many other members of staff on display at the same time. Other than that, no complaints!"

• "It is very occasionally buggy, but customer support is quick to help out."

Browse Float Reviews

Kenneth Krogh from Sopra Steria AS

Float - Nice tool for team management

Pros

It is a very visual tool, I love the timeline graph where you can easily filter down the resources on both person and project tags.

Cons

It is rather simple and I would like some more options for tailoring the product to our specific needs, like setting monthly cost limits and including more visual options on each project.

Reasons for Switching to Float

To gain access to more functionality while still being centered around the timeline view

Colby from Lindsay Dynan

A fantastic, easy to use software that gets the job done

Pros

The simplicity of Float was what sold it for us. As a company with around 90 very busy engineers and designers, entering workload data needed to take less than 5 minutes. With Float we can do this. Once all the data is in Float, managers can easily see who needs more work and who is overloaded. Support is also fantastic. The instant message service on the website always gets a fast response.

Cons

No major issues. If I had to nitpick, I had to create a workaround to allow all employees to be able to automatically see every project in the system sithout assigning it to them. To do this I had to make every user an admin. But this works fine.

Reasons for Choosing Float

The ease of use was critical to us. Float did everything we needed it to.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Excel was very manual, cumbersome and time consuming.

Leandro from NGTI

Best time tracking tool I've used so far

After using other 2 tools to log hours, I definitely choose float as my preferred one

Pros

The product is so intuitive, we didn't need a company meeting to explain how it works, we just started using it right away, and nobody experienced problems on how to use the tool. Logging hours is so easy, specially when you have your hours already planned.

Cons

Not sure if there's a way to plan vacations from float, right now we have to use a separate tool for that, and would be great if we could do everything from just one place

Reasons for Switching to Float

Not sure, it was decided from management, but I'm super happy that we did the switch.

Response from Float

Replied March 2021

Hi Leandro, Thanks so much for your feedback and review! There is an option to add time-off to your schedule which includes vacation/paid leave, sick leave, and personal leave. We'd welcome hearing more specific feedback on the vacation planning you'd like to see. Please drop us a note to support@float.com. Thanks, Siobhan @ Float

Laura from NorthHouse Creative

Great value. Lots of potential

I've been using CETA scheduling software for the last 4 years in big VFX companies and I must say that Float is not there yet but is actually getting broadly comparable. In the last 4 months that I introduced it into my new team it's proved to be quite useful to keep track of the progression of our projects. During these months I've seen that it has already improved in many areas that I'm excited to see what comes next. I can see it can become a really powerful software.

Pros

There aren't may softwares that let you schedule a team in such an easy and organised way. I think most softwares nowadays are too complex and make you spend more time organising tasks than actually working on them. Float is so clear and simple you can actually use it to manage big projects without spending too much time on it.

Cons

It's getting better, but it would be very useful if we could: - Right click on a pencil and be able to copy it over into a different person. - Book more than one person on the same project (for example if two workers are on the same project because one of them is doing a training but you don't want to charge twice for that time). - Lately when I try to schedule more than 1 project in one day on the same person I get a message saying I can't schedule anyone for more than 24 hours) even if I'm not exceeding the 8 normal working hours. It'd be great if that could be fixed. - It'd be good if milestones were more visible. - I think reports should be a bit less complicated and more visual. - It'd be really helpful if you could group projects up in folders when you go to the Projects tab as at the moment we have like... 45 different projects going on and although we color code them it's difficult to organise all of them. -I'd like to have more than only three types of view when looking at our schedules a part from 'Days, 'Weeks' and 'Months'. It'd be great if you could 'Archive' users as well as projects. So when a worker it's not working at the company anymore and you don't want to pay for it on Float you can kind of 'Archive' him (so you are not able to book him on anything but still you can see him on the boards so you don't loose what it's been scheduled on him.)

Reasons for Choosing Float

Its the closes to CETA software that we could find. It's good value for the price it offers and it's very intuitive and flexible.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Monday has too many tools that you don't really get to use when scheduling. It also doesn't have an overview of projects as clear as the one Float has.

Sophie from Yonder

Industry: Market Research

Good number of features without going overboard

Pros

Float has a nice clean interface with a powerful search feature so you can filter down by person, client, project etc. very quickly and easily. The documentation for Float's APIs is nice and clean. Although our software doesn't naturally integrate with Float, we've been able to use the API to bring projects in automatically from our sales tracking platform.

Cons

The way that people's time commitments on other projects are displayed on every project is useful to make sure nobody is over-resourced. However this means that each project can take up a fair amount of space, and using placeholder people/roles is a nightmare because they look incredibly over-booked if you're using them across many projects while planning.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Not too feature heavy or feature light for what we need - the goldilock zone for our company.

Sydney from Imprint Music Inc.

Industry: Broadcast Media

Functional solution for growing team.

Pros

The ability to see all our staff and relevant resources in one place.

Cons

iOS app requires sign in every time it's launched. Push to googleCalendar does not refresh as often as would be ideal.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Our calendar was becoming to dense to read at a glance and know where resources were being deployed, as well as what resources were still available at any given time.

schirka from MAD

Very intuitive and easy to use

Overall I love the platform and ease of use

Pros

Setting up projects is very easy. Training the team was a breeze and once set up, the UX is so intuitive that everyone is using it like they've been on Float for years. Drag and drop functionality for the scheduler is very useful to. Great took to see who's doing what at a glance.

Cons

Not sure if it integrates with Asana, we use both but I believe we use them independently from each other. Putting hours on one and reflecting on the other would be amazing

Reasons for Switching to Float

Monday couldn't do what we needed, it was hard to see who was working on what, who had free time and who could help with new projects

Chris from Infinite 3d

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great Software for Time management, Simple to use and easy to follow in realtime

Pros

It's simple user interface makes it easy to follow for any user. It also has real time update capability so that you are always informed of what you should be working on at any current time.

Cons

I think tasks and notes should be displayed in small font or more obvious when you log time. The little note in the top right hand corner of the project tag can easily be missed, Also a feature to unlog time, instead of having to remember if you misclick

Reasons for Switching to Float

It was overly complicated for our intended use and we now use float in conjunction with microsoft teams and its a lot more diverse

Joel from lg2

A good project management tool for small teams

Very good experience overall, would recommend.

Pros

The timeline view is very simple to use, it allows me to get a quick overview of the team load.

Cons

It's harder to cut a project into smaller chunks.

Reasons for Switching to Float

We stopped using harvest so having forecast did not have a use anymore

Response from Float

Replied March 2021

Hi Joel, Thanks so much for your review! We recently launched a new 'Project Phases' feature which lets you break down bigger projects into smaller parts, "chunks". You can read more about how it works in our Support Center here, https://support.float.com/en/articles/4787660-project-phases. Thanks again for the feedback and please reach out if you need any assistance! Cheers, Siobhan @ Float

Nicolae from Str8minds

Amazing Software

We use it on a daily basis to keep track of tasks and time spent on each.

Pros

The utility of it, efficiency, and the UX design.

Cons

I haven't explored its full capacity but No cons so far.

Reasons for Switching to Float

I was introduced to this software by my new team.

Nathalye from Barrows North America

Great tool for visibility of projects

Overall my experience as an active user of Float has been great, it is very simple to use, and allows management to keep projects organized.

Pros

The bird's eye feature is a must, it allows for full visibility of the whole team, or segments of it, and allows managers to keep track of current, past, and upcoming projects.

Cons

Time report integration, we use Harvest and we have to use a different partner for this.

Brid's eye view feature

Response from Float

Replied September 2020

Hi Nathalye, Thanks so much for your review! We don't currently have any direct integrations with other time tracking tools. We do have time tracking available as an additional feature though on Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking You're welcome to try this add-on free for 30 days. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings page inside Float. If you need any help or have further questions, please feel free to email us at support@float.com. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Roger from Dovetail games Ltd

Development company taking next steps in project management

A very positive experience allowing the company I work for to get better more accurate project plans and financial reports.

Pros

The ease of use as a one stop shop, browser based to allow all the development team (and subsiduary but linked teams) to see important dates like dev complete, bug fix windows, cert windows and release dates. The ability to quickly block out time for features and projects. The ability to add notes and details to tasks. Fully fleshed out holiday and time off structure. Robust financial reports possible with very high degree of accuracy for budget per project, per quarter, per annum. We used to get by with using Excel, we invested in Float and it has taken the companies' project planning to the next step. I would recommend Float for small to mid sized companies definitely, it is a great product boost and good way of reporting and seeing issues early.

Cons

it does not allow you to easily move a bunch of small tasks along in the timeline, that's my only main gripe, you can't band box select you have to shift select. Everything else is intuitive and easy.

Reasons for Choosing Float

the website and videos showing features were clear and clean and one of my peers had previous experience and good reviews of the product and we were given a gratis time period to try things out, this helped us alot in making sure Float was the product for us.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Excel was clunky and out schedule was increasing in ambition and scope.

Merle from Social Chain

Integral part of our internal production process

Float has honestly been a game changer for our studio and as a result, the wider business. The minute we first started using the platform, it transformed the way we visualise our busy schedules and communicated with the wider teams about our availability and timelines. It's made our lives easier and simplified the overall production process - taking a lot of guesswork and confusion out of the equation.

Pros

The simplicity and immediacy of the timeline interface is massively important for digesting and understanding an often hectic and clogged schedule. Customisation of clients, projects and tasks means that we can see, at a glance, exactly what clients and projects we are working with - it takes a lot of the project management stress out of the process for teams like mine, who need to focus on their own tasks at hand.

Cons

I think there could be more options to input information within the tasks in a schedule - although there is a notes section, it would be great to see more integration with other platforms like the Google suite (Drive, slides, docs) that could streamline our process even more.

Cost, ease, user experience

Brad from SOH Studios

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

Jonathan from Airbnb

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

So Glad I Found this Software!

Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pros

I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Cons

For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Float was the first software I found.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Google Sheets was far too manual. It is too broad of a program and can be used to do anything, but that also means that it does nothing in particular. Employees did not enjoy using it and so they often neglected to update their schedules.

Davy from W247.be

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Reasons for Choosing Float

Google Sheets was not efficient anymore. Teamleader had too many features for our current needs and would have created more overhead costs.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Google Sheets was becoming to complicated to follow up billable hours, tasks and schedules. Float brought all of those together for our team.

Rawiri from IT Vision

How Float works for us

After using the Trial, we found the best way to apply it to our business and implemented quickly for Live usage. We have been using Float daily since and it has been successful in providing a complete overview of staff workload and availability. It provides clarity for future scheduling.

Pros

* Provides an overview of scheduled work and staff availability for forecasting and scheduling * Ability to assign consultants to specific projects, while also assigning individual tasks. * Minimal duplication of work as the system maintains the lifetime of the projects * Ability to link to Jira tasks * Easy to schedule timeframes * Can view based on teams or individuals

Cons

Not a lot we didn't like, but it would be great to have; * Task breakdowns * Two way Jira linking (Currently only from Jira) * Pull more data from Jira (Timeframes etc)

Reasons for Choosing Float

It covered some of the basic features of Asana but providing an overview of staff available and scheduled work, which was a higher priority for us.

Reasons for Switching to Float

It didn't provide an overview of staff availability for forecasting purposes

Tomasz from Liteweb

Resource planning in big picture

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways: 1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project. 2. Planning time off office days 3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Nice UI, easy to set up, fast to add and modify

Reasons for Switching to Float

Paymo was slow and has bad mobile app

Christian from Data Wiring Solutions Ltd.

Float Review

We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it. WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros

Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there. Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task. Great job, keep it up!

Cons

Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

Ben from Bourne Digital

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Needed a more sophisticated tool to manage team workload.

Response from Float

Replied September 2020

Hi Ben, Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team. I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking. All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float. If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at support@float.com. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros

With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons

Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

Joseph from Anthesis Group

Industry: Environmental Services

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are. There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

Aidan from hedgehog lab

Beautifully simple and easy to use

Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pros

Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Cons

The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

Program Manager using Float

We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!

Pros

Cons

- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now - Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part - Adding holidays could be easier - When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project

Heather from Gtech

Multi disciplinary studio management

Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros

The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons

The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved. Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window. Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Mel from Havas Lynx

Good for visibility

Pros

Easy to use and it's simple to scroll backwards to check your historical or upcoming bookings. As a user it does all I need it to do.

Cons

I've previously used Synergist which was great for production resources as all the bookings automatically pre-populated timesheets ready to add hours and submit. I'm not sure if Float has this functionality but our organisation uses separate systems for both, and I find it does add a little more effort to time logging.

Changed businesses

Response from Float

Replied September 2020

Hi Mel, Thanks so much for your review! We do have a time-tracking add-on feature in Float that pre-filles your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. You can check out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking. All Float customers are welcome to a free 30 day trial of the feature. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings inside Float. If you'd like a demo or have any questions about how time tracking works, please feel free to email us at support@float.com. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Sara from Fixer Brand Design Studio

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros

I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons

Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Marco from Labitech

Great software for planning but missing some features.

Overall I am very satisfied with Float, as it allowed me to save a lot of time in my planning activity and provided the company with a tool that everyone can use.

Pros

I really like the possibility of having a global view of the activities and the possibility of having a fast (very fast) synchronization with the Outlook calendar. Furthermore, it is really useful to assign different roles to people in order to define planning permissions.

Cons

I am not crazy about the graphic style of the calendar / schedule view. Hiding over the weekend it is difficult to see at a glance the separation between the various weeks. Also there is no translation of the portal in Italian, not a serious deficiency, but if there were it would be better :) It also lacks the ability to view your schedule in a daily agenda format in order to have a more precise schedule of your commitments, as you can do through outlook.

Reasons for Choosing Float

We chose float among all the other software seen because it provided a better user / price ratio than others in relation to the size of the company. The choice was also made because it provided all the necessary functions of division into teams, projects and tasks that were necessary for our team.

Stephen from Honeywell Enacto

I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Reasons for Choosing Float

They solved the issue I was struggling with which is a team view and resource capacity planning. The other products were either to complex or did not have the features I desired.

Reasons for Switching to Float

More flexible, more features and somehow cheaper

Choosing Float as a communication tool means choosing a pillar of agility and attractiveness in a co

What do your employees expect in terms of corporate communication? Employees no longer hesitate to use their personal tools and applications for professional purposes. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working within a digital, agile company that is increasingly extended to its external ecosystem. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working in a digital, agile and increasingly extended company to its external ecosystem. Float as an internal communication tool makes all this possible, bringing managers and employees closer to the company and meeting their expectations in terms of information. Fun, practical and functional, Float has become for me an indispensable managerial tool, both to explain the company's strategy and to highlight my results. It also allows me to motivate my colleagues!

Pros

I find that the features already present are exactly what I need for my start up: the possibility to call each other via Chrome browser is a plus. The mobile application is really very useful and makes Float easier to use. Not only does it allow me to continue to follow the threads of conversation wherever I am (in a meeting, on the road, anywhere), but also to send attachments (images, records, etc.). The integration with other applications is very ergonomic: I use Jira and Confluence a lot and the widgets in Float are very responsible as soon as I import a link for my collaborators.

Cons

I'm a fan of it, I find that it is not lacking in functionality, but if I ever change my mind, I know that the customer service department will welcome my remarks and suggestions with kindness and professionalism. However, I do find that the possibility of not having to change browsers and make or receive calls from Mozilla would be great.

Guillaume from World of Digits

Long terme planning tool

Always have a good view on my team's future.

Pros

In a blink of an eye, I can see who's busy on what, and for how long. It let me give a clear idea of planning for upcoming projects, see who's available for it and who's on holiday. Also, it let me check if we take too long to finish a project or not (by setting up a budget forecast).

Cons

It would be good to integrate other tools like Yadera or Monday.com. Also, I'd like to have an easier view on days split into different tasks (one per day is really clear, but as soon as you have 2-4 tasks a day, it's harder to read).

Reasons for Switching to Float

Float is even more easy to use.

Alex from Spatie

Minimal and polished UI, but not lacking in features

Pros

As a developer it's easy to get sidetracked. That's why we have project managers and Float. Float helps me not only keep track of what I should be doing and when I should be doing it, but it also helps me keep track of what my colleagues are doing. Especially now, when working from home is the new normal, it's really easy to check if one of my colleagues is working and if they might have some time available for me. All that without having to add 20 filters and navigate a complex UI. Float has all the features in all the right places but still manages to keep a minimal looking UI.

Cons

There are only minor annoyances I have with Float (they're more like nitpicks anyways). A filter to hide projects that aren't being worked on in the current week/month would be nice. Also, there's a lot of freedom when assigning colours to a project. Maybe some predefined colour palettes would work better and stop our our schedule from looking like a lego brick wall ;)

Reasons for Switching to Float

Forecast had some weird UI issues on the schedule view. Cost might've also been a deciding factor

Ky from Outline

Best Visual Project Management Tool I've Found

It has allowed us to essentially self-manage projects without having to have a dedicated PM on staff.

Pros

We love the ease of use of Float to visualize our team's schedule. It allows us to quickly see how our people are resourced and make adjustments on the fly with the draggable task blocks. It was extremely easy to set-up and implement with our team and projects–no tutorial or laborious how-to required!

Cons

We use the basic features for an easy workflow overview so it covers all the features we would need.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Price, ease of use and set-up, simplicity and visually-focused interface

David from Havas Lynx

A solid system for smaller teams

Great system, great team. There is a lot of very good positives for Float, but I can see there is still room to grow, but I have no doubt the team at Float will progress this in time.

Pros

Float is incredibly easy to use and integrate into smaller teams. Visually straightforward, it gives you quick and simple answers to essential resource-based questions and allows team members to see what work they should be progressing and when in a tidy calendar view. In addition, there is an easy link between time in the calendar to projects that can be managed quickly.

Cons

I do find that compared to some other systems, a level of detail when it comes to finances and budgets vs resource is missing. Whilst you can get some very top-level detail, the ability to link actual time spent versus project budgets is a little simplistic and could be expanded upon to really drill down into more detail to provide better overall reports.

Oliver from Eshop Guide

Best Scheduling Tool on the market

It's fantastic to use :)

Pros

So I hardly ever write Reviews, and even less on software - but Float is an exception. This tool really change the way our Agency works, especially in times of 100% home-office. It's amazingly simple to use, has a great overview of your team's schedule, and makes forecasting and reporting extremely easy. I'd give this tool 12 points if I could!

Cons

There are a few minor glitches - but the customer service team including the devs are very helpful!

Reasons for Choosing Float

It supports the resource management in the most perfect way

Marco from Ompi North America - Stevanato Group

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Unbeatable task and team manager

Pros

Easy, Easy, Easy! Uncluttered and extremely intuitive user interface. Basically no learning curve, even for unexperienced users. Despite its clean and tidy interface, Float is still ideal for enterprise use. It sports a very powerful team manager platform, perfect to assign and follow tasks, instantly spreading any update with team members. Automatic reports allow to keep under control time consumption.

Cons

Float run in cloud, there's no possibility to implement a self hosted solution.

Reasons for Choosing Float

User interface cleaner and easier.

Jonathan from Graphite

Long time user and never found anything better

It's a great app that helps us every single day to simply and effectively manage resource without the process becoming a chore.

Pros

Float is the most straightforward product in our software stack. Every new start knows how to use it within a few minutes of creating an account, and we are able to allocate our resource quickly without the software getting in the way of the work which I wish we could say about all of the products that we use.

Cons

Not really a criticism of float but I will be looking to find an agency management solution that has a float integration if possible and if not another method of sync as we would hate to leave float behind.

Reasons for Switching to Float

I had used float before and it was a far better product.

Response from Float

Replied September 2020

Thanks for your review Jonathan! You can check out our direct integrations here, https://www.float.com/integrations, and please feel welcome to send any requests to support@float.com. Cheers, Siobhan

Sam from Versantus

Great for balancing our resources

I think Float is having a real positive impact on our project management team and is becoming more the useful the more we use it.

Pros

As both a user and administrator of Float at our company I'd say my favourite feature is the UI design of Float. It looks great and I never have to to look hard to find the information I need - it's all very intuitive. I also love the daily email digests that come through. Way better than any 'to do' software I have tried in the past. The reports visualisation is fantastic too, and is something I'm only just discovering.

Cons

I'd love to use time logging / timesheets but cannot for the life of me figure this part out!

Reasons for Choosing Float

Float was more focussed on resource management and the user interface was top notch.

Response from Float

Replied September 2020

Hi Sam, Thanks so much for your review! The Account Owner can activate time tracking on your account, including a 30 day free trial for first time users. Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled base don your scheduled work hours in Float! If you'd like to set up a demo or find out more information, please email us at support@float.com and we'd be happy to help! Cheers, Siobhan

Rick from Dolphiq

Great tool for day to day business!

Pros

Float is very easy to use and makes you activities for the day very insight-full. As project manager it is possible to see all the activities for the team in a blink of an eye. The sorting functions are great; by project, by team and more. Also adding repetitive tasks and scheduled items is very easy. This tool improved our daily workflow greatly!

Cons

For now we really don't have any dislikes at all. All our requirements for good planning/team management software are met in Float.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Float offered way more options for a better price. The use and more functionality (like easy repetitive tasks) where something we really missed in other applications.

Flexible, collaborative scheduling

It's been a learning experience for us as a team, and myself as an individual. We now push all work in as soon as we even believe it will happen and mark it as tentative. We can add milestones and deliverables so everyone collaborating on the schedule can see how much work there is and how likely it is they'll be able to add more in. A great tool that's got us away from the horror of scheduling in excel.

Pros

Can easily see the whole stream of work. We were using excel, not ideal, especially when it came to needing to change it and others had it open. We'd done this for years, not great. This tool means we can react faster to the needs of our busy studio. Adding milestones has been invaluable because we can easily see where pinch points will happen. Handling employee leave and work hours is now super seamless as float deals with it for you using the 'time off' feature.

Cons

It can be fiddly to arrange work in the correct order if you're doing less than half a day block at a time. Fortunately, this doesn't typically affect us, as we deal almost exclusively with long term, large projects.

Priti from Stellar

Industry: Information Services

Resource View

It would be a perfect project management tool but needs more work. We are purely using it to manage resources and have other tools/softwares supplementing.

Pros

The visual look and similarity to the age old resourcing view that came out of excel. It makes scheduling easy

Cons

Spilt and having to right click and come back to add/edit every single time. Generally its working well for what we require of it

Ben from NOKIA

Flexible and responsive

Float has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources. I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !

Pros

Being able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!

Cons

responsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes

Reasons for Switching to Float

Running multiple schedules of resources for multiple projects it became erroneous and problematic to schedule resources in Excel as we have multiple managers with their own priority's! Float means we can all see the global schedule and make changes on the fly

Allysa from Ceros

Float is great

Pros

It's really really REALLY easy to use with a very intuitive interface. Float is continuously tweaking features for the better to further improve upon the UI/UX. My project management team did a lot of research on resource management tools and Float was the only one that allowed for such a granular view (i.e., instead of planning sprints in 2 weeks, it's day by day). We needed that for our business as we are run day-to-day with sometimes very small tasks (0.5-1hr) and Float was the only one allowing us to get that granular. Further, whenever we've had an issue the Support team is very quick and responsive to helping us!

Cons

The Reporting tools aren't as great and well-organized as our Finance/Billing team would like. But the front-end is superior to the other tools my team considered so we are still using on that front.

Rachel from Coherence

Great software

Float allows the entire studio to understand what they're booked on and gives the managers a greater understanding of when tasks are completed.

Pros

Float is a really helpful piece of software, especially for running studio resourcing. The flexibility of being able to move jobs between different resources is great. Definitely one of the easiest resourcing tools i've used.

Cons

After doing a a few resource moves the system gets a bit buggy and you have to refresh or sometimes log out and log back in again to see the changes you've made.

Price!

Brian from Easyvista

Scheduling application for groups

I needed a place to make calendar entries and schedules visible to PMs and consultants without having to set and manage permissions in other popular email and calendaring applications. Float fits the bill giving my entire team access to their tasks and view others. It allows the PMs to see this information as well. It also provides mobile access through a dedicated appm

Pros

I like the ability to see and control the schedules of my consultants at a glance. It's simple to use and create new entries for others. I can see where my resources are scheduled and their availability to be scheduled for additional tasks and projects. I like that I can move tasks around easily.

Cons

I don't like that I have to create a new project and task for each entry. Mostly they are the same types of tasks, but one offs can be irksome at times. It's a small inconvenience since the application meets all of my other needs.

Reasons for Switching to Float

It was too cumbersome to manage calendars for people. There wasn't an easy way to access public calendars from a mobile device.

Jo from Principals Branding

Easiest visual scheduling ever

I love it! I could never go back to the old paper and whiteboard workflow planning systems I used a decade ago!

Pros

Simple colour blocking makes workflow easy to take in at a glance (perfect for visual thinkers like me!).

Cons

Sometimes when you scroll left it takes you back to the log-in screen.

Reasons for Switching to Float

I moved to a different agency who used Float (and think it's awesome!).

Hollie from Just After Midnight

User-friendly, with a few interesting quirks!

Float allows us to better plan our week / month as teams, and gives us better visibility over time spent on projects.

Pros

As a company we've just moved to this from Trello as we needed time logging projects. So far this has been really useful, and we're getting a much clearer picture against the budget of a project. The scheduling side is something we're really valuing too, integrating this into Slack means we can see the work we've been scheduled on, how much time we've got booked in for it, and plan our days more easily.

Cons

Tasks- we have set this up to be a bit more like Trello for us- but because of that we miss the checklists functionality of Trello, particularly as we could organise sets of tasks for a project using a checklist. We use tasks in place of this, but these will only list alphabetically. If we number them, we can go up to 10 before the logic fails and adding '11' means the list goes 1, 11, 3, 4, 5.... and so on!

Reasons for Switching to Float

Better time logging and scheduling for project work.

Gordon W from Graydient Creative

A great solution for a small team with room to grow

Not having to rely on tools that weren't built for this purpose to achieve the desired output is fantastic. Excel is for numbers and spreadsheets, not managing project.

Pros

I love that this is an affordable, web-based, easy to configure and use tool that is extremely flexible. There's a lot of power in only asking for as much information as is needed in order to be useful. It's a great visual way to manage projects and people and to get a sense of how people's workload is at any given moment. As an end user, it's great to be able to see how my week is looking at the start so that anything that comes up can be managed and it's a burden to try and juggle it all.

Cons

Float very much purpose-built to schedule work, but there are a number of features that are present in more project-focused solutions which are lacking-- namely time tracking and dependencies. However, adding some of these features might sacrifice that which makes Float great at what it does, simplicity.

Great tool for roadmapping personal/team schedules

It has definitely been a step in the right direction for our business using float and has a better visual to some alternatives such as monday.com.

Pros

It is easy to see what myself and my colleagues have got scheduled to help make sure that resources are managed effectively.

Cons

There is not much integration with other applications that we use which means at the moment it is a stand alone product that we use in our business. If there was more integration then we would be able to utilise the functionality more effectively.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Slack was fine for individual time management updates however it did not have the same capabilities and so we needed something that would help our teams function more effectively which is why we chose float.

Response from Float

Replied September 2020

Hi, Thanks for your review! You can check out Floats direct integrations, including a Slack notification app, on our website here, https://www.float.com/integrations. We welcome hearing any other integration requests you have. Please email support@float.com. Cheers, Siobhan

Chris from Iris Singapore

Great Concept with Some Server issues

Float helps us accurately manage our project life cycles and also individual workloads to ascertain useful information about performance rates and also account health.

Pros

Float is visually very easy to read and allows users to be succinct but detailed at the same time.

Cons

Float tends to not register all our changes and tends to not be completely "LIVE" as it requires multiple refreshes at times to attain the most updated information. This is mainly happens when there are multiple project managers. The export report is not as detailed as I would like it to be. It would be more beneficial to have monthly exports with breakdowns per job, per person and per week. I need to use the raw data more often than referring to the online report so it would be good to see some improvements on this.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,147 reviews